Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Ananayel said:

I always preferred Harlan Ellison's non-fiction, due to the blunt, cantankerous, in-your-face-ness of it. I was able to meet him twice, and he was perfectly nice each time. He was most definitely a unique character.

I agree in preferring his non-fiction (although he wrote some great short stories). One of my all time favorites is his essay "The Three Most Important Things in Life."

5 hours ago, WritinMan said:

I agree in preferring his non-fiction (although he wrote some great short stories). One of my all time favorites is his essay "The Three Most Important Things in Life."

Of the fiction, mine is "Jeffty is Five," but "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" is right up there. I really enjoyed his media writings "The Glass Teat" and "The Other Glass Teat." I'll have to start looking to see if he has had anything to say in the past couple of years about things like social media, FoxNews, InfoWars, etc. I can't imagine he wouldn't have had an opinion about it all.

4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I loved the Bay City Rollers.  Screaming plaid, big hair and all.   

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y  Night!........Oh, it takes me back.  I thought that was one of the best songs ever.  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y  Night!........Oh, it takes me back.  I thought that was one of the best songs ever.  

I had to go find that on YouTube today after hearing the news.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

When I click on the video, it comes up as unavailable. Maybe that 1's only playable in certain regions, or something.

14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

That song has been a guilty pleasure on my playlist for years.  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

From E! Online: Tina Turner's Eldest Son, Craig Turner, Dead Via (Self-Inflicted Gunshot Wound) Suicide at Age 59 Craig wasn't Ike Turner's biological son; he was born when Tina was 18 & adopted by Ike when Ike married Tina in 1962, according to the info at the linked article.

I have no idea what kind of adult life Mr. Turner may have had but I really hope he had SOME peace in it despite having   grown up in a rather chaotic situation and seeing+ hearing things no child should have to witness.  Poor Miss Turner!RIP, Mr. Turner.

• Love 10

And one more Broadway death, Jeff Loeffelholz, who committed suicide after being bullied and humiliated in front of the entire cast of Chicago. He was the last member of the original cast (of the 1996 revival) still performing in the show. On a stand-by contract (not the same as an understudy), he couldn't be fired. So they drove him to suicide!

I didn't know him, but folks from my gym did, and posted about it on Facebook -- and the comments section was filled with heartbreaking stories about the abuse to which theater actors are subjected.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Investigations-Opened-to-Explore-Suicide-of-CHICAGO-ActorJeff-Loeffelholz-20180706

• Love 6
(edited)

From WGN-TV: Wisconsin Badgers Wrestler Eli Stickley, Nephew of US Rep Jim Jordan (R-OH 4th), Killed in Illinois Auto Accident

As the link at least implies, the deceased wasn't a celebrity, per se (though he was 2014 Ohio Division II State Wrestling Champion at 120 lbs; he fought in the 141-pound weight class for the Wisconsin Badgers).  His uncle is the (bigger) celebrity, & a current newsmaker, & that's why I'm mentioning the nephew's untimely death.

Eli's uncle is US Representative Jim Jordan, (R-OH 4th), described as a "powerful" Republican, who was a two-time National Champion Wrestler at Wisconsin in the mid-1980s & who, this past Thursday, was accused of turning a blind eye to the sexual abuse of his team members, & others, while Jordan was the Wrestling Coach at Ohio State University.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To change some punctuation.
21 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

And one more Broadway death, Jeff Loeffelholz, who committed suicide after being bullied and humiliated in front of the entire cast of Chicago. He was the last member of the original cast (of the 1996 revival) still performing in the show. On a stand-by contract (not the same as an understudy), he couldn't be fired. So they drove him to suicide!

I didn't know him, but folks from my gym did, and posted about it on Facebook -- and the comments section was filled with heartbreaking stories about the abuse to which theater actors are subjected.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Investigations-Opened-to-Explore-Suicide-of-CHICAGO-ActorJeff-Loeffelholz-20180706

That is just so sad.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, giovannif7 said:

5b439f142f145_RIPTabHunter.jpg.75109d7ae0b414b1ac65e3445912a7dc.jpg

3 more days & it would've been his birthday. I know he was in his eighties, & maybe birthdays might be less important to some as the years pass, but it's still sad he died so close to his birthday (not for nothing, but I think Merle Haggard actually died on his birthday).

• Love 2

I didn’t really see any of his movies in the 1950s, but I definitely knew the name.  I hope he’s able to be himself in Heaven right from the get go.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, BetterButter said:

It's interesting that Mr. Perry's first wife was Laugh-In's JoAnne Worley  (a rather raucous character) but his widow is the somewhat kittenish Joyce Bullifant (and he was the latter's fifth husband). Well, at any rate, it appears he was a more versatile performer than either of his spouses. RIP, Mr. Perry.

Mrs. Sinatra certainly was put through the mill by her ex's extramarital adventures but whether it was for their kids' sakes or an undying love on her part, I don't recall her saying one unkind word about him. Yes, I definitely think she was far better for him than he deserved. Oh, and it's interesting that even though her divorce settlement gave her enough monies to live comfortably the rest of her life, she would make from scratch Italian specialities well into her late 90's! In spite of what her ex put her through and even having to survive their son's death, I hope she had some peace in her twilight years. RIP, Mrs. Sinatra.

• Love 13
54 minutes ago, Blergh said:

It's interesting that Mr. Perry's first wife was Laugh-In's JoAnne Worley  (a rather raucous character) but his widow is the somewhat kittenish Joyce Bullifant (and he was the latter's fifth husband). Well, at any rate, it appears he was a more versatile performer than either of his spouses. RIP, Mr. Perry.

I'm fascinated to see that Mr. Perry had such a long and diverse career -- and that he was discovered by none other than Lucille Ball.  When someone with that much clout in Hollywood considers you a real find, you're definitely blessed.  And he was a composer as well as a talented (and in my view, underrated) actor!  RIP, Mr. Perry!

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Mrs. Sinatra certainly was put through the mill by her ex's extramarital adventures but whether it was for their kids' sakes or an undying love on her part, I don't recall her saying one unkind word about him. Yes, I definitely think she was far better for him than he deserved. Oh, and it's interesting that even though her divorce settlement gave her enough monies to live comfortably the rest of her life, she would make from scratch Italian specialities well into her late 90's! In spite of what her ex put her through and even having to survive their son's death, I hope she had some peace in her twilight years. RIP, Mrs. Sinatra.

I was gonna say that Joyce Bulifant actually only had 4 husbands (that I knew of), but reading her Wikipedia page shows that she actually was married 5 times, as you said. Her 4th husband, according to Wikipedia, was a man with the unusual name of Glade Bruce Hansen. It appears he wasn't involved with anything remotely Hollywood--acting, singing, directing, writing, producing, etc.--& they were only married for about a year, 2000-2001, between her marriages to TV writer/producer/director William Asher (who was also married to Bewitched star the late Elizabeth Montgomery, as well as being a writer/producer/director on the show) & the just deceased character actor Roger Perry (who I thought was either still married to JoAnne Worley or who had died years ago).

I recently (a few months ago, or so) read an interview with her, done by a syndicated news service & published as a feature in my local Sunday paper (& other papers all over at least the US). It turned out she wrote a book, My Four Hollywood Husbands, in 2017, about exactly what it says in the title.

It apparently doesn't mention the non-Hollywood husband or that marriage. But it does talk about the other 4 marriages, to husbands who had more than just being married to her & being men in common: they all worked in Hollywood/the entertainment industry in some capacity (husbands 1, 2, & 5--James MacArthur, Edward Mallory, & Roger Perry--were all best known as actors. MacArthur was the original Danny "Danno" Williams, in 10 or 11 of the 12 seasons of the original version of Hawaii Five-O; Mallory played the original, or 1 of the earliest versions of, Dr. Bill Horton on NBC's daytime drama Days of Our Lives; & Perry, as said in his obit, was a character actor whose guest role in the original Star Trek is 1 of his better known works, & husband #3, William Asher, was a TV show creator, writer, producer, & director probably best known for Bewitched), & they all were alcoholics.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

101?! Well done, Nancy. Well done.

Indeed, that is an enviable run.  She clearly took inspiration from her daughter and used her boots to walk all over death until she just couldn't walk any further.  RIP, Mrs. Sinatra!

• Love 6
On 7/14/2018 at 8:05 AM, Blergh said:

It's interesting that Mr. Perry's first wife was Laugh-In's JoAnne Worley 

According to IMDb, Worley was Perry's second spouse.

I like Nancy Sinatra's response to the question of why she never remarried:  "After Sinatra?"

Another recent death was Alan Johnson, who choreographed Springtime for Hitler in The Producers (movie). He was also responsible for memorable dance scenes in Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.  RIP, Mr. Johnson.

• Love 5
(edited)

Inquistionist,

I guess I stand corrected. Well, I have no idea of the personality of the possible 1st Mrs. Perry but I thought it interesting the contrast between the personalities of his latter two wives!

Edited by Blergh
keeping things possible

There's no article for this but I saw it posted on Facebook...and it appears to be true but Denny Brooks, a longtime session singer and player, passed away in his sleep yesterday..no age given. If you ever saw John Denver in concert in the late 70's through the early to Mid 80's, you saw Denny  with John Denver. He also was a part of the LA Folk Scene in the late 60's...sad, sad loss...

• Love 2
(edited)

Robert Wolders, Actor and Longtime Audrey Hepburn Companion, Dies at 81

He starred on the NBC Western 'Laredo' and was married to actress Merle Oberon.

Wolders was the fourth husband of actress Merle Oberon (Wuthering Heights, The Scarlet Pimpernel), married to her for about four years until her death in 1979 at age 68 from stroke complications. They starred opposite each other as lovers in the May-September romantic drama Interval (1973), her final film.

Dutch actor Robert Wolders, the longtime companion of Breakfast at Tiffany's star Audrey Hepburn who starred on the 1960s TV Western Laredo and appeared in films like Beau Geste, has died. He was 81.

(from The Hollywood Reporter. After Audrey he was Shirlee Fonda's - Henry's fifth wife - companion for 20 years)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robert-wolders-dead-laredo-actor-audrey-hepburn-companion-was-81-1127177

Edited by spiderpig
adding link with photo
  • Love 1