Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Harris was a pretty popular player back when I was in school. A guy who played drums with me in band always said he was great ( Franco, not himself :)

Another sports guy just passed, I heard it this morning, though he wasn't as well known maybe as Harris. Tom Browning was a pitcher, for Cincinnati for most of his career. He was 1 of only 12 ( I think ) pitchers to throw a perfect game.

• Sad 6

Whenever someone says 'the sound of philadelphia' to me the quintessential song that embodies that is of course the Soul Train theme (which is actually named 'The Sound of Philadelphia') but also 'Love Is the Message' by MFSB.  It always feels like sweeping orchestral music married to R&B and Funk.

RIP Mr. Bell. 

• Like 9
11 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Grammy winning producer Thom Bell who co-created what became known as "The Sound of Philadelphia" has died, age 79.

Damn -- I was just bopping along to "The Rubberband Man" last night.

At the beginning of the year, it was announced a new documentary about Bell, Huff, and Gamble and Philadelphia soul was in the works, and the Mighty Three would be giving exclusive interviews and never-before-seen footage.  I hope it was completed.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Damn -- I was just bopping along to "The Rubberband Man" last night.

I fondly remember Office Max's Back to School commercial where Eddie Steeples happily bops along to The Rubberband Man as he replaces kid's summer activities/gear with school supplies. 

Back Stabbers will forever be relevant. What they do?!

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

At the beginning of the year, it was announced a new documentary about Bell, Huff, and Gamble and Philadelphia soul was in the works, and the Mighty Three would be giving exclusive interviews and never-before-seen footage.  I hope it was completed.

🤞🏽

R.I.P. Mr. Bell. 

• Like 8
5 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I fondly remember Office Max's Back to School commercial where Eddie Steeples happily bops along to The Rubberband Man as he replaces kid's summer activities/gear with school supplies. 

I still remember that one and a back to school version with him in it too. They always got my attention because of that song.

%

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 3

Some of you may know her as Syonide from CW's Black Lightning : 'Charlbi Dean's Cause of Death Confirmed by Coroner'

(She passed earlier this year in August.)

A spokesperson for the New York City Office of Chief Medical Examiner confirmed to PEOPLE on Wednesday that she died of bacterial sepsis.

The sepsis "was a complication from asplenia (the absence of a spleen) due to "remote blunt trauma to her torso," the spokesperson tells PEOPLE.

The South African actress' death was ruled an accident.

More details at the link.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 6
  • Useful 2

Pele was in a 1981 Sylvester Stallone film, Victory.  It was a Great Escape sort of movie: they were in a WWll German POW camp (along with Michael Caine), and there was a soccer grudge match played between the prisoners and the guards.  

At one point, Pele made one of his patented, flipping strikes on goal — and the German commandant (Max Von Sydow) stood to applaud.

RIP to a star. 

• Like 10

If he wasn't the greatest 'footballer', Pele was certainly the most iconic.

He put Brazil on the map, and brought 'football' into the homes of countries where it wasn't prominent.

RIP Pele, and thank you  

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, Domestic Assassin said:

Not sure if sports celebrities count, but sad to hear that Pele has died. He's the only soccer player I knew by name.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/29/football/brazil-pele-soccer-died-intl-latam-spt/index.html

I've never been a soccer fan per se but I've always admired how Pele was able to use that to not only propel himself out of grinding poverty via soccer but also put soccer on the global map (and, perhaps to some degree, even his nation of Brazil)! I think it's safe to say that if there had been no Pele, there'd have been no Beckham!

RIP, Dom Edson!

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Fashion designer Vivienne Westwood has died, age 81.

That was posted yesterday.  And it was one of those "wow, time flies" moments, because if you'd asked me how old she was, I'd have said, "Hm, probably about 70 now."

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Sorry for the repeat. Either my feed or Primetimer has dropped the earlier posting.

It's here; how weird that a post has disappeared from your feed (unless you have the poster on Ignore).

Anyway, I'm far from a fashionista (I basically go to Macy's and select things I like, with the occasional trek to an outlet mall), but she's one of the few whose names I knew and could, if given enough time, come up with that name if shown a picture.  I couldn't recognize a design as being hers to save my life, but I do remember several times liking a gown and reading it was hers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 12/24/2022 at 9:02 AM, MissAlmond said:

Actor Ronan Vibet who appeared in Saving Mr. Banks and The Borgias has died, age 58.

I was just checking this thread out and was taken aback by reading this.  He was one of my fave character actors and there's so many films/series that he was in.  Very sweet man IRL, I got to chat with him online a few times and he was just wonderful, and really loved his acting craft and spoke so kindly of his fellow actors/actresses and others in the industry.  A loss for sure.

• Like 2

I didn't realize she had dementia.  Which must be horribly sad for someone of her intelligence and knowledge.

How terrible that must be for her daughter to watch her fierce, independent and intelligent mother go through that.

Thank you for being firm and at times acerbic.  For standing up for women and trailblazing in your field.

• Like 22

Barbara Walters retired at a great time, right around the time legacy/mainstream ”news” truly sold out, but some time before it became embarrassingly obvious that they had all sold out.

Godspeed to her and thanks to her for all the doors she opened for women willing to work hard rather than play victim, despite leaving the putrid legacy of The View.

• Applause 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Ah, another reason to respect Walter Cronkite:  Connie Chung just shared that, unlike a lot of the male anchors who subjected Barbara Walters to appalling, blatant disrespect, Cronkite respected her fiercely, even/especially when she scooped him to get the first joint interview with Sadat and Begin.

Good for him :). I remember hearing about how some men in the news industry reacted when she first came on the scene and it was insane how these supposed professionals acted like total babies about a woman joining what they believed to be "their" territory. It was so pathetic and sad. 

Thank goodness she didn't let that deter her. I remember watching her on "20/20" when I was a kid (yeah, I watched "20/20" as a kid, 'cause I was weird that way :p), and her long list of achievements, as well as her career in general, is an admirable one indeed. I'm glad she did get to live long enough to see the influence she had in regards to getting more women into journalism in general, too. 

Rest in peace, Barbara. 

• Like 18

There was a clip I saw on someone's twitter feed about when Barbara Walters retired from the View; Oprah was on talking about how Barbara influenced so many women who went into news and then she started calling out names as they all filed in - Diane Sawyer, Jane Pauley, Robin Roberts, Elizabeth Vargas, Katie Couric, Connie Chung, and many others.  Over 20!  It was a great illustration of what a trailblazer Barbara Walters was.  

• Like 20
49 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Good for him :). I remember hearing about how some men in the news industry reacted when she first came on the scene and it was insane how these supposed professionals acted like total babies about a woman joining what they believed to be "their" territory. It was so pathetic and sad.

Her first co-host at NBC, Frank (something) was like that, as was her first co-host of ABC, Harry Reasoner.  The latter was really ticked off to be sharing a desk with a *gasp* woman.  And that said woman made more $ than him!

There was a reason America trusted Walter Cronkite.  The last honest & honorable newsman in the US.

• Like 14

I knew that Ms. Walters was related to Paul McCartney, but I had thought her niece was married to him….turns out it is Barbara’s second cousin.  And Barbara was the matchmaker.  

https://nypost.com/2022/12/31/paul-mccartney-mourns-amazing-barbara-walters-they-shared-surprising-connection/?_gl=1*8izuut*_ga*MTQ5OTA2NzgyMi4xNjEwMDczNjA5*_ga_0DZ7LHF5PZ*MTY3MjU0NzM3NC40My4wLjE2NzI1NDczNzQuMC4wLjA.&_ga=2.224567194.1031463568.1672547376-1499067822.1610073609

• Useful 9
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, roamyn said:

There was a reason America trusted Walter Cronkite.  The last honest & honorable newsman in the US.

Cronkite existed in a different time when there was less competition in news and I think they got more trust because of it.  

It's why I've found the ad hoc tributes to Barbara on my social media feeds to be interesting.  People sharing their favorite memories of Walters as a newswoman focus on her time in more traditional news settings earlier in her career.  Even though The View has been a long running success, and is quite an achievement, I don't see that time period of her career getting the same amount of praise. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2