Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

These deaths are becoming so common now days.  It seems my childhood is just coming back and then slipping away with so many of these losses.

Jan-Michael Vincent was a VERY attractive and popular actor when I was a kid.  I thought he was so special.  One of my favorites.  RIP Jan-Michael.  Here's some photos of him from yesteryear.

(edited)

The other day, Luke Perry’s daughter spoke out about her father’s highly untimely passing. Today, we hear from his son, Jack, via ET Online & his Instagram account. Click on the Instagram post to read it all. 

By the way, the website for the Extra TV show said Luke DID NOT regain consciousness before he died.

Also, this week’s episode of Riverdale included an onscreen “In Memoriam” card noting his passing. The episode was dedicated to him, as are the remaining ones this season. I didn’t watch, but I read about it online.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
  • Love 2

So sorry to hear of JMV’s death but I expected it.  He had been in fair to poor health for a while now.  I saw an interview he did with an Australian reporter and he looked and sounded awful!  I think his mind was affected as well, as he seemed to be constantly searching for words.

i loved watching Airwolf back in the day but I’ll always remember him from one of his first regular roles on TV: Danger Island (from THe Banana Splits Show) .  Of course he was also Charles Bronson’s protege in the original “The Mechanic”.

• Love 5

I never watched Airwolf as a kid(I was more into Knight Rider) but I always heard the name. I always thought it would be funny if Jan and Michael on The Office ever had a son, they'd name him Vincent! Millenials probably know him from this bit from Rick & Morty in the episode "Interdimensional Cable 2: Tempting Fate" where they watch cable channels from other dimensions including one featuring:

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, BetterButter said:

I loved Airwolf and had such a crush on Jan-Michael Vincent in those days. He was a huge star and made lots of money. He was on so many magazine covers. Unfortunately, his many addictions ruined the show, his acting career, and much of his life. I always remember being surprised when he had a brief scene as Nash Bridges' older brother. 

Rest in peace, Jan-Michael.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Jan-Michael Vincent was one of my preteen/teenage crushes.  I used to watch the TV-movie 'Sandcastles' every time it was shown on late-night TV, even though I'm not a huge fan of sad, sappy, romance movies.  I also remember going to see Disney's 'The world's greatest athlete' several times at the theater, just because he was in it.

Here is an interesting article written several years ago about an author who had heard that Vincent was living in Mississippi and went to find him.  It's kind of sad, so don't read it if you want to remember Vincent in better days.

http://alanhuffman.blogspot.com/2011/09/in-search-of-jan-michael-vincent.html

• Love 4
(edited)

First saw JMV in the TV movie "Tribes", 1970. He played a hippie drafted into the USMC opposite Darren McGavin's tough DI. Movie shot at MCRD San Diego while I was going through.

A fine actor who's fame unfortunately ended up consuming him. RIP. 

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

??? I thought Idris Elba was the host tonight?

48 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

He's the host of the new SNL show tonight that starts at 11:30.  

Yes I said the be that air at 10

pm which is always when they reair  a classic one

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Not here.  They do live shows here in California at 7:30.

Oh, I guess it’s just for east coasters then that they play the old ones.  They actually used to air the old ones right after the live ones years ago.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2

And one more who won't be making the reunion:  Jed Allan (Rush Sanders) has died at age 84.  So no rematch on the links for Steve and Rush against Bobby and Barry Bonds, it appears.

As I mentioned on a thread in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer forum, I once worked with Judith McConnell (Sophia Capwell, Santa Barbara) for a year.  So, I join Judy in mourning her fourth and longest-serving C.C.  C.C. ya later, Jed… 

(Apologies for the bad pun.  I can't help myself about those.)

• Love 2

Don Craig will never return from mailing that letter on Days of Our Lives. Jed Allan played Don and told the show he was leaving the role ahead of time to let them prepare for an exit story. Apparently they didn't believe he was really going to go so his character ended up going to mail a letter and was never seen again except in the occasional flashback usually when his and Marlena's son that died got mentioned.

@Halting Hex Judith is on Days right now playing a character Genie Francis played in the late 80's named Diana. While I like Judith her portraying Diana isn't working.

I never got to see Jed on Days when he was actually on the show. I think I first noticed him when he played Steve's dad on BH 90210.

• Love 3

Last night my husband wanted to watch the Blue Brothers.   I have literally never seen this movie (don't judge I had my reasons).   I'm watching it and go "THAT'S CARRIE FISCHER."   I never knew she was in it.   He didn't realize it was her either.   This was the first thing I have seen Carrie in since her death.   I just haven't been able to do it.   Now maybe I can finally watch Star Wars.

Of course, watching the movie it was sad to realize how many of those actors are no longer with us.   That movie really was a host of "Oh my god that's ___________________"   (still don't like the movie but the music was good).

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Jed Allan (Rush Sanders) has died at age 84

Jed Allan will always be the pompous CC Capwell on Santa Barbara to me. I really enjoyed his performances as CC for so many years. 

Rest in peace, Jed.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Jaded said:

@Halting Hex Judith is on Days right now playing a character Genie Francis played in the late 80's named Diana. While I like Judith her portraying Diana isn't working.

Thanks for the update, Jaded!  I admire Judith for taking on the role, but I'm not surprised it's an awkward fit, given that Judy's 18 years older than Genie is.  When Judy won that Miss Pennsylvania title that vaulted her to Hollywood, Genie was three.

Ironically enough, Jed Allan was once age-miscast, as well.  In 2004, General Hospital hired him to replace John Ingle as Edward Quartermain, apparently not caring that Jed was only two years older than Stuart Damon, who played Edward's son, Alan.  (Well, Edward always was a go-getter…)

• Love 3
On 3/6/2019 at 9:16 PM, Halting Hex said:

The Los Angeles Kings did not do a memorial for Luke before their game with Montreal last night (they instead honored the passing of NHL legend Ted Lindsay, who was much deserving of it), but organist Dieter Ruehle did play the BH90210 theme song during the first stoppage of play, about three minutes in. 

This was a league-wide memorial for Lindsay due to his instrumental role in the formation of the NHL players union and advocacy for better compensation for the boys on the ice. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Thanks for the update, Jaded!  I admire Judith for taking on the role, but I'm not surprised it's an awkward fit, given that Judy's 18 years older than Genie is.  When Judy won that Miss Pennsylvania title that vaulted her to Hollywood, Genie was three.

Ironically enough, Jed Allan was once age-miscast, as well.  In 2004, General Hospital hired him to replace John Ingle as Edward Quartermain, apparently not caring that Jed was only two years older than Stuart Damon, who played Edward's son, Alan.  (Well, Edward always was a go-getter…)

I remember that! That was one of the worse miscasts. No offense to Jed Allan. The worse part was it happened right before Anna Lee who played Lila Quartermine, Edward's wife and the best character, passed away. All those emotional scenes of Lila's death were done with Jed Allen who barely had any scenes with her instead of John Ingle who had been played her husband for a decade. Don't get me started on the decision to fire Anna Lee a year before she died by Jill Farren-Phelps when she took over. There was no reason to take a 90 plus woman off contact especially when she only filmed a couple times a year and would die a year later. There was no need to do that.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Jaded said:

Don Craig will never return from mailing that letter on Days of Our Lives. Jed Allan played Don and told the show he was leaving the role ahead of time to let them prepare for an exit story. Apparently they didn't believe he was really going to go so his character ended up going to mail a letter and was never seen again except in the occasional flashback usually when his and Marlena's son that died got mentioned.

This is sick, but I had the idea that someone at the post office was a serial killer and murdered Don. DAYS has always had its share of serial killers, after all.

RIP, Jed! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, UYI said:

This is sick, but I had the idea that someone at the post office was a serial killer and murdered Don. DAYS has always had its share of serial killers, after all.

Makes as much sense as anything.  Perhaps the killer was hiding in the Martins' attic on All My Children, and that's why Bobby never came down after he went to wax his skis…

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, UYI said:

Was the post office in Cabot Cove? Was Jessica Fletcher visiting that day?

Edited by Moose135
  • LOL 8
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Do not read these lines first thing in the morning.   Tea all over the keyboard is not a good thing.

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Moose135 said:

San Francisco perhaps?  Was Don Craig related to Brian Babbage?  Is it too late to have Monk investigate?  

• LOL 3
21 hours ago, Halting Hex said:
On 3/10/2019 at 1:36 AM, Jaded said:

Judith Chapman plays Diana, not Judith McConnell.  Chapman is eleven years older than Genie Francis.

• Love 2

Per a Facebook message, Hal Blaine...legendary Wrecking Crew drummer...and the man's beat is behind so many hits..and on countless John Denver albums and specials is dead....This is a BIG loss...Turn on your radio and listen to Hal's music on countless songs....He was 90 years old but wow...this is big...

I would bet that if we looked at the liner notes/other credits of all the recorded music we’ve bought over the years, going back who knows how far, all the way to now (or at least the last few years), in any form (except maybe legal full album MP3 downloads from iTunes, Amazon, or wherever, which have really been cutting back on putting anything but the cover & the most basic info about the work involved with the music file in recent years), we’d probably find Hal Blaine’s name on that work at least once. I know, for sure, I have his name on stuff I’ve bought by The Partridge Family & David Cassidy (a pre-teen girl has to start somewhere, musically, & that’s primarily where I started—along with Bobby Sherman & The Brady Bunch Kids; & I’d bet his name is somewhere on the albums I have by them, too), John Denver, The Carpenters (when Karen didn’t play on a track, or in addition to her work), The Captain and Tennille (RIP Daryl “The Captain” Dragon), & Barry Manilow, just to name a few musical artists from my personal collection I’m positive Hal Blaine worked with.

• Love 7

The legendary longtime Indiana Senator Birch Bayh--an Indiana State House Representative from the Terre Haute area from 1954-1962 (and the Indiana Speaker of the House from 1958-1960), US Senator from 1963-1981 (he was beaten in 1980 by a then-unknown Congressman from Huntington, in the northeastern part of the state--Dan Quayle), and the father of future Indiana Governor/Senator Evan Bayh--has died at age 91. He is a major reason that both Title IX exists today and why 18 year olds have the right to vote. RIP. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/birch-bayh-indiana-senator-who-championed-title-ix-dies-at-91/2019/03/14/cf659402-465d-11e9-90f0-0ccfeec87a61_story.html?utm_term=.e546f790c68c

Evan's wife, Susan, is currently battling glioblastoma, the same cancer that killed her husband's onetime colleague, John McCain. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3

It  was reported around March 9,2019 that on December 21,2018, Miss Edda Goering the only child of Hermann Goering died at age 80 in Munich. She had been feted  on the German public as the NAZI answer to Shirley Temple until the end of WWII and her father committed suicide on the eve of his execution for war crimes in 1946. Although she became a law clerk, she seemed to have refused to see her father as anything but a doting, adoring father to her who treated her like fine china while ignoring all the atrocities her father, Hitler and their associates had done and stayed pals with those who were close to their politics.  She never married or had children and what's rather sad IMO is that she never considered that she could be anything BUT Hermann Goering's daughter despite what history showed the world what he  and his closest associates had done.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, UYI said:

The legendary longtime Indiana Senator Birch Bayh--an Indiana State House Representative from the Terre Haute area from 1954-1962 (and the Indiana Speaker of the House from 1958-1960), US Senator from 1963-1981 (he was beaten in 1980 by a then-unknown Congressman from Huntington, in the northeastern part of the state--Dan Quayle), and the father of future Indiana Governor/Senator Evan Bayh--has died at age 91. He is a major reason that both Title IX exists today and why 18 year olds have the right to vote. RIP. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/birch-bayh-indiana-senator-who-championed-title-ix-dies-at-91/2019/03/14/cf659402-465d-11e9-90f0-0ccfeec87a61_story.html?utm_term=.e546f790c68c

Evan's wife, Susan, is currently battling glioblastoma, the same cancer that killed her husband's onetime colleague, John McCain. 

Senator Birch Bayh was among the then-US Senators I had the honor of being photographed with during my 2-day photo op at the US Capitol, with as many of the then-US Senators as were available during that period, when I was the March of Dimes’ National Poster Girl in 1972. I remember him as being a nice man, & I think he was also interested in me because we were both from Indiana (though I wasn’t born there—Alabama gets that honor) & my family & I were, at least generally speaking, constituents of his at the time.

I wish our state’s former First Lady luck with her cancer fight (which I’ve known about for awhile before this), but unfortunately I think the survival rate from glioblastoma is about the same as Alex Trebek is facing in his Stage IV pancreatic cancer battle. Especially if she has glioblastoma multiforme (which I believe killed both Senators McCain & Kennedy—I also got to meet Senator Kennedy; I don’t believe Senator McCain had been elected to his first term at that time).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix punctuation.
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Senator Birch Bayh was among the then-US Senators I had the honor of being photographed with during my 2-day photo op at the US Capitol, with as many of the then-US Senators as were available during that period, when I was the March of Dimes’ National Poster Girl in 1972. I remember him as being a nice man, & I think he was also interested in me because we were both from Indiana (though I wasn’t born there—Alabama gets that honor) & my family & I were, at least generally speaking, constituents of his at the time.

I wish our state’s former First Lady luck with her cancer fight (which I’ve known about for awhile before this), but unfortunately I think the survival rate from glioblastoma is about the same as Alex Trebek is facing in his Stage IV pancreatic cancer battle. Especially if she has glioblastoma multiforme (which I believe killed both Senators McCain & Kennedy (I also got to meet Senator Kennedy; I don’t believe Senator McCain had been elected to his first term at that time).

When I was born, Evan Bayh had just become Governor of Indiana the month before. The two of them left behind a hell of a political legacy for the Hoosier state.

And yes, Susan's cancer is the same one that killed John McCain, Ted Kennedy, and Joe Biden's son Beau, sadly. 😢 

• Love 1