Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Even so, Quayle attended the funeral, he was VP, and it just seemed strange.  

Most presidents choose their Vice President based on political expediency.  Many times, they don’t even know their VP prior to the selection process. President Bush chose Quayle because he was from the Midwest while Bush grew up on the east coast and lived in Texas; Quayle’s selection was geographically advantageous.  He was significantly younger than Bush and they had little in common other than politics.  There were so many other people who knew the President far better although they remained friendly after they left office.  In addition, Dan Quayle is infamous for his lack of speaking ability.  He’s not terribly articulate, he doesn’t bring much emotion; he’s just a boring speaker. 

Very few recent presidents have been close to their Vice President, Obama -Biden are a rare exception.  JFK couldn’t stand LBJ and vice versa.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Most presidents choose their Vice President based on political expediency.  Many times, they don’t even know their VP prior to the selection process. President Bush chose Quayle because he was from the Midwest while Bush grew up on the east coast and lived in Texas; Quayle’s selection was geographically advantageous.  He was significantly younger than Bush and they had little in common other than politics.  There were so many other people who knew the President far better although they remained friendly after they left office.  In addition, Dan Quayle is infamous for his lack of speaking ability.  He’s not terribly articulate, he doesn’t bring much emotion; he’s just a boring speaker.

Very few recent presidents have been close to their Vice President, Obama -Biden are a rare exception.  JFK couldn’t stand LBJ and vice versa.

Dan Quayle represented my district in the US House of Representatives before becoming the Junior US Senator from my State & the Vice-President. Honestly, he has all the personality of a potted plant in real life.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To change a word.
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Calvada said:

Rosalynn Carter was there, sitting next to Jimmy.  The Quayles were in the 2nd row, the VPs' row, with Pence & his wife, Lynne & Dick Cheney, and Joe & Jill Biden.  

I was happily surprised the Carters attended. A couple of days ago I read that he supposedly wasn’t going to attend because he was to be on a private trip somewhere, & she wasn’t going to attend because (like Queen Elizabeth II) Mrs. Carter has cut back on traveling in recent years (although Her Majesty’s travel cutback is primarily on overseas trips from England & Mrs. Carter seems to still participate in President Carter’s annual Habitat for Humanity work project/house build, wherever it is around the US), & because she’s reportedly still recuperating from recent intestinal surgery.

It was sad (& shocking) to see how frail, & different Former Senator Bob Dole (Another celebrity I was privileged to meet, along with Former President Carter, along with his then 4-year-old daughter Amy, when he was Governor of Georgia) looked during his visit to Former President Bush’s casket. I get he’s 95, but I wonder what’s going on with his health that has him looking so gaunt now. He looked as if he has some sort of physical wasting issue happening; nothing like he previously did.

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

It was sad (& shocking) to see how frail, & different Former Senator Bob Dole (Another celebrity I was privileged to meet, along with Former President Carter, along with his then 4-year-old daughter Amy, when he was Governor of Georgia) looked during his visit to Former President Bush’s casket. I get he’s 95, but I wonder what’s going on with his health that has him looking so gaunt now. He looked as if he has some sort of physical wasting issue happening; nothing like he previously did.

Watching Dole get up out of his wheelchair to salute Bush's casket was a beautiful moment because he clearly really wanted to do that even though it was hard for him to do.

• Love 21

Inquisitionist, Thank you for the linked picture.  And he absolutely could stand right in front of me and I wouldn’t know know who he was.  I wish whomever was running the cameras the last few days would have lingered on people a little longer - long enough for the news to put a name on-screen identifying them.  Too often I would catch a glimpse of someone and think “is that so-and-so?” but my brain didn’t engage fast enough to be sure.

Sen. Dole was one I didn’t recognize.  I think we forget how long it has been since the Bush 41 administration and kind of expect people to not have aged.  (I know I haven’t.)

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

That was the most beautiful funeral I’ve ever watched. Every speaker was so moving, touching, and a bit humorous. 

I also wondered if any of this was touching a chord with Trump. And I never saw a Prince Charles either.

Here’s an article from ET Online which talks about Prince Charles attending Former President Bush 41’s funeral as Her Majesty the Queen’s representative (I’m not sure if anyone attended representing Prime Minister May’s government or not). It includes a picture of him “being welcomed” by Vice-President & Mrs. Pence.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Here’s an article from ET Online which talks about Prince Charles attending Former President Bush 41’s funeral as Her Majesty the Queen’s representative (I’m not sure if anyone attended representing Prime Minister May’s government or not). It includes a picture of him “being welcomed” by Vice-President & Mrs. Pence.

Thank you! I did see him later on Lester Holt’s recap of the day.  There were so many in attendance that it was easy to miss certain dignitaries. I did also see Angela Merkel. I’m sure they were there but never saw King Abdullah and Queen Rania. They are an attractive couple.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, willco said:

I'm also always fascinated by the friendship that developed between Bill Clinton and Bush-- I would not have imagined that would be possible after watching them debate back in the 80's.

Just a quick correction--they debated in the '90s. But yes, their friendship post-presidencies was something that made me...happy? I'm blanking on the word. But it was something nice to see.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Oh, I know all this.  I didn't need a history lesson. ;)  However, all these points aside, I still thought it strange that he didn't speak.  I remember him as a boring speaker and not too bright, but it could have been just a brief speech and I imagine he could have gotten through that.  That's just my opinion.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

I'll just say that I  think it was an especially thoughtful gesture for the younger President Bush to have given Mrs. Obama a cough drop in spite of having to deal with his own father's funeral. That is all. 

• Love 17
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Just a quick correction--they debated in the '90s. But yes, their friendship post-presidencies was something that made me...happy? I'm blanking on the word. But it was something nice to see.

Definitely.  Even rivals can treat each other with respect.  Some of them, anyway.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

Definitely.  Even rivals can treat each other with respect.  Some of them, anyway.

That's what has impressed me the most. In the past 10 years, politics has gotten so ugly. Congress and the Executive Branch need to remember they work for the PEOPLE, not the party.  I didn't agree with many of Bush's policies, but I think he acted in a way that he felt was best for the country, and I respect that.

• Love 14

The funeral service of President George H.W. Bush was so moving, filled with grace and dignity and much humor. He must have been a funny man. I cannot imagine all the planning and preparation that went into this grand event. The family must be exhausted by now. My eyes filled with tears during much of the service. The choirs and singers sang beautifully. The speakers were so eloquent. My heart swelled with pride watching the honor guard. I served 10 years in the air force, and it was some of the best and most proud moments of my life. It was an honor and privilege to watch this most beautiful and poignant celebration of this man's life. RIP President George H.W. Bush.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Sharonana said:

He must have been a funny man.

I don't know about that, but I do know he had a sense of humor. He used Dana Carvey's "Points of Light" hand gestures, to mock himself after he was out of office. I can't recall what the occassion was, but it made me laugh. He could laugh at himself.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't know about that, but I do know he had a sense of humor. He used Dan Carvey's "Points of Light" hand gestures, to mock himself after he was out of office. I can't recall what the occassion was, but it made me laugh. He could laugh at himself.

Agreed. I would think you'd have to be able to do that, with this job. There's so much stress involved, you're bound to make some segment of the population unhappy with your policies, you have to deal with a lot of ridiculous stuff day in and day out...you'd need a sense of humor to try and get through it all. 

And being able to poke fun at yourself shows a level of humility, which is another very important quality. 

• Love 8

I know this is a sad occasion and I'm watching President Bush's journey to the Presidential Library, but I've noticed that there seems to be something kind of "off" about the granddaughter Barbara Bush.  At her grandmother's funeral she was dressed like she was going to a cocktail party in a short, poufy, low-cut dress, and I'm watching her now and it's clearly chilly and people are wearing coats and jackets, and she's the only one in a sleeveless dress, again low-cut.   She just strikes me as a showoff.

Edit:  She either got cold or somebody told her to put her coat on because I don't see any bare arms anymore in the crowd.

Edited by Ohwell
9 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I know this is a sad occasion and I'm watching President Bush's journey to the Presidential Library, but I've noticed that there seems to be something kind of "off" about the granddaughter Barbara Bush.  At her grandmother's funeral she was dressed like she was going to a cocktail party in a short, poufy, low-cut dress, and I'm watching her now and it's clearly chilly and people are wearing coats and jackets, and she's the only one in a sleeveless dress, again low-cut.   She just strikes me as a showoff.

It’s actually about 65 degrees right now, so it’s not that chilly. A lot of people take the opportunity to wear coats and jackets around here when it’s 65 because most of the year it’s 95. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

It’s actually about 65 degrees right now, so it’s not that chilly. A lot of people take the opportunity to wear coats and jackets around here when it’s 65 because most of the year it’s 95. 

Even so, she still stood out and looked strange.  

15 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Even so, she still stood out and looked strange.  

Eh, it wouldn’t have been my choice but I thought the step-granddaughter’s off the shoulder number was more inappropriate. She gave the 4th reading at the Houston service.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Eh, it wouldn’t have been my choice but I thought the step-granddaughter’s off the shoulder number was more inappropriate. She gave the 4th reading at the Houston service.

Ok, I didn't see her.  But Barbara really did look inappropriate at her grandmother's funeral.  I just think she stands out in an inappropriate way.  

3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Also, I believe she's been living up in Maine (she was living there with GHWB and her fiance after her grandmother died and I thought I had read that she remained there after her grandfather had gone south for the winter), so 65 might just feel like 95 to her.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Also, I believe she's been living up in Maine (she was living there with GHWB and her fiance after her grandmother died and I thought I had read that she remained there after her grandfather had gone south for the winter), so 65 might just feel like 95 to her.

Exactly. I think the other people wearing a heavy coat in 65 degree weather are the weird ones.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Blergh said:

I'll just say that I  think it was an especially thoughtful gesture for the younger President Bush to have given Mrs. Obama a cough drop in spite of having to deal with his own father's funeral. That is all. 

It tickles me how both Bush men were so smitten with Michelle. I love the friendliness between the Bushes, Clintons, and Obamas. I also thought it was so sweet that the Carters showed up and seemed to stay in their own little world. 

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

I also thought it was so sweet that the Carters showed up and seemed to stay in their own little world. 

Jimmy and Hillary were chatting and shared several laughs it just doesn’t fit the press narrative that they hate each other.

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Jimmy and Hillary were chatting and shared several laughs it just doesn’t fit the press narrative that they hate each other.

I was referring to the fact that Jimmy didn't seem to acknowledge the sitting president at all, which warmed my heart. 

• Love 15
23 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

There’s a lot of Brexit debates and voting going on this week. I doubt that anybody from the British government could be spared to travel (although I bet May wishes she could be anywhere but London)

• Love 7
On 12/6/2018 at 8:05 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

You are right, of course. I was thinking 80's because of Bush taking office in '88. I forgot to add in a few years for the debates to happen.

I saw Bill & George HW being interviewed together a couple of times, I think it was after Clinton was out of office, and they were talking about doing work for Clinton's foundation ( once again, I'm relying on memory, which isn't the best anymore as we've seen !), but what struck me about it was that they really seemed to like each other. That's the thing that's kind of hard to believe, because it doesn't seem like it happens today very often.

After watching some of what I think was the 4th service, on tv yesterday, I feel for the Bush family. They must be just wrung out after so many. I'm always drained after just 1 funeral service, and I've never had to give a speech at one ! At least now, that part is done.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, willco said:

You are right, of course. I was thinking 80's because of Bush taking office in '88. I forgot to add in a few years for the debates to happen.

I saw Bill & George HW being interviewed together a couple of times, I think it was after Clinton was out of office, and they were talking about doing work for Clinton's foundation ( once again, I'm relying on memory, which isn't the best anymore as we've seen !), but what struck me about it was that they really seemed to like each other. That's the thing that's kind of hard to believe, because it doesn't seem like it happens today very often.

After watching some of what I think was the 4th service, on tv yesterday, I feel for the Bush family. They must be just wrung out after so many. I'm always drained after just 1 funeral service, and I've never had to give a speech at one ! At least now, that part is done.

There is an excellent book about former Presidents and their relationships with succeeding occupants of the Oval Office. The relationship between GWHB and Bill Clinton was particularly friendly.

https://www.amazon.com/Presidents-Club-Inside-Exclusive-Fraternity/dp/1439127727

I hope the Bush family can get some privacy and peace now. I had to give the eulogy at my grandmother's funeral and it was the most emotionally draining thing I've ever done.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Wow, that's so sad.  Clint must be devastated.

Given that he cheated on her constantly, asked her to get abortions while fathering two children with another woman when they were together, and their legal issues which included allegations of him sabotaging her career I doubt it. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 18
33 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Given that he cheated on her constantly, asked her to get abortions while fathering two children with another woman when they were together, and their legal issues which included allegations of him sabotaging her career I doubt it. 

He still could be grieving her loss, even though he acted like an ass.  And who knows, maybe he's truly sorry for how he treated her. 

My goodness.  The vitriol.  

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

The vitriol.  

Stating the nature of their very well documented relationship isn’t vitriol.

And the headlines that define her life and death in terms of her relationship with him are particularly egregious given that history.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 24