Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Not a surprise and he lived a full life, but still sad.

George HW Bush spoke at my college commencement.  It was actually one of his more famous post-presidential speeches as it was where he announced he had left the NRA and called them all Jack-booted thugs.  I will always remember when all of us graduates assembled at the Wren Building to begin our march across campus to W&M Hall (where commencement actually happened) and he made a surprise appearance to give us all a pep talk, a more "personal" commencement speech, and a promise that he wouldn't talk too long.

I didn't always agree with him, but I always respected him.  RIP Mr. President.

That's kind of where I'm at as well. I respect his service to country, even though I didn't always agree with him, view point wise. RIP sir and thanks.

• Love 11

After seventy-three years of marriage, George and Barbara Bush are together again now, two points of light that never dimmed, two points of light that ignited countless others with their example

That's a beautiful sentiment. 

Lovely eulogy in general there. 

• Love 17

Bill Clinton also wrote about George H.W. Bush in The Washington Post.  While I took issue with many of Bush's domestic and foreign policies, I was pleased some others, and upon his death I think back on the traditional letter to my successor he left Clinton, which Clinton quoted in the piece linked above.  My objections remain, but I do believe this is who he was as a politician, and I respected that:

Dear Bill,

When I walked into this office just now I felt the same sense of wonder and respect that I felt four years ago. I know you will feel that, too.

I wish you great happiness here. I never felt the loneliness some Presidents have described.

There will be very tough times, made even more difficult by criticism you may not think is fair. I’m not a very good one to give advice; but just don’t let the critics discourage you or push you off course.

You will be our President when you read this note. I wish you well. I wish your family well.

Your success now is our country’s success. I am rooting hard for you.

Good Luck — George

• Love 20

RIP. Even though F Troop aired on Nick at Nite growing up I never watched it. I know him mostly as Vinton Harper on Mama's Family, especially the syndicated seasons and that Brady Bunch episode that was a stealth spinoff pilot about a childless couple friend of the Brady's who wanted an adopt a white kid, and his black friend and Asian friend!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 8

From CBS News (VIDEO): Our Current President Is Sending Air Force One to Bring Former President Bush 41’s Remains to Washington

Our current President has announced that, as soon as it’s “restored” (I think that’s the word he used in the video) from the current Argentina Summit trip, he’s sending Air Force One to Houston to pick up Former President Bush 41’s remains/casket & bring them/it back to DC for the various ceremonies & honors involved with a Presidential State Funeral (to be held at the National Cathedral on Wednesday).

That’s a nice gesture, yes; but what I’m not sure our current President understands about it (which I’m pretty sure at least most people/everybody here knows), is even if the plane has Former President Bush 41’s remains &/or Former President Bush 43 (& Mrs. Bush) on it, &/or Former Presidents Carter, Clinton & Obama (the remaining living Former US Presidents), it will only be 1 of the 2 747’s in the Presidential fleet of aircraft. It won’t be Air Force One specifically (if that’s what our current President was aiming for—giving Former President Bush 41 a final ride on Air Force One). The callsign “Air Force One” is only used for aircraft which are carrying the current President, & the aircraft can be any type; not just the 747 everyone thinks of as “Air Force One”.

Our current President came to my hometown the day before the midterms, to campaign for (mostly) the GOP candidates running for the US House & US Senate. He flew into our airport/local Air National Guard base (Home of the 122nd Tactical Fighter Wing), which share runways, on a smaller (but not Regional Jet-sized) aircraft type as Air Force One instead of the customary 747 (our airport can accommodate aircraft at least as big as an Airbus type).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix spacing and reword a couple of things.
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, UYI said:

The irony is that he started out as someone VERY noted for his dancing talents but he broke into television when dancing was being less and less promoted so he wound up playing somewhat inept goofballs but every so often there'd be an occasion in which whatever character he was playing would be called to dance and he'd do an excellent job to a rather advanced age!   RIP, Mr. Berry.  

• Love 13
24 minutes ago, rubaco said:

I'm an old-timer, so I loved him on F-Troop. It seems like he was a TV fixture in the 1970s. Always, always likable. 

I loved him on F-Troop, too.  Never watched Mama's Family.  He seemed like such a nice person.  RIP, Captain Parmenter.

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:04 PM, legaleagle53 said:

I figured it was just a matter of time after Barbara Bush passed away what, a couple of months ago?

I felt the same way too.  R.I.P. President Bush.

1 hour ago, rubaco said:

I'm an old-timer, so I loved him on F-Troop. It seems like he was a TV fixture in the 1970s. Always, always likable. 

The repeats used to be on all the time.  R.I.P. Mr. Berry.

• Love 2
On 12/1/2018 at 6:55 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I knew it was only a matter of time after Barbara. Like others have already said, I didn't always agree with him (or even like him sometimes), but I respected him. RIP

Barbara died in April; so it was only about 7 months between the deaths. It was still November 30th in Houston when he died (apparently around 10PM local, likely Central, time) though the announcement wasn’t broadcast on TV until around Midnight, Eastern time, which made the announcement date December 1st.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a couple of clarifying words.
  • Love 4

A couple of old interviews with George H.W. Bush feature a quote from him mentioning an old song he refers to as “I’ll Be There Ready When You Are” and I have been trying to find info on it but have had no success.  Maybe he had the title incorrect? Most results are either for the theme to Friends or to Baywatch.  My hunch Is he was referencing a hymn, not a theme from a tv show.

17 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

A couple of old interviews with George H.W. Bush feature a quote from him mentioning an old song he refers to as “I’ll Be There Ready When You Are” and I have been trying to find info on it but have had no success.  Maybe he had the title incorrect? Most results are either for the theme to Friends or to Baywatch.  My hunch Is he was referencing a hymn, not a theme from a tv show.

Found a version of it, in this Fox News article:   https://www.foxnews.com/politics/george-h-w-bush-reflects-on-aging-and-the-importance-of-family-in-letter-to-his-children

• Love 2

Cycling commentator Paul Sherwen, 62 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/dec/03/australian-cycling-mourns-death-of-much-loved-commentator-paul-sherwen

Along with partner Phil Liggett, he's long been the voice of Tour de France and other professional cycling commentary in a lot of the English language world, painting a picture of suitcases full of courage, snapping elastic, spots of bother, dropping hammers, beastly climbs, and riders dancing on the pedals.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Possibly I'll be there (if ever you want me) by Ray Price who was a fellow Texan who also served in World War II.

There ain't no chains strong enough to hold me
Ain't no breeze big enough to slow me
I'll never have seen a river that's too wide
There ain't no jail tight enough to lock me
Ain't no man big enough to stop me
I'll be there if you ever want me by your side
So love me if you ever gonna love me
I never have seen a road to ruff to ride
There ain't no breeze big enough to slow me
Now there ain't no rope tight enough to bind me
Look for me honey you will find me
Any old time your ready with your charm
I'll be there ready and a waitin'
There won't be any hesitation
I'll be right here if you ever want me in your arms
So love me if you ever gonna love me
I never have seen a road to ruff to ride
There ain't no breeze big enough to slow me

• Love 3

Bunty, that song fits my expectations of a song a man of Bush’s age would mention.  (Certainly better than the theme to Baywatch.).  All I have been able to find online is the same story where Bush mentions the song, nothing on the actual song itself.

• Love 4

From NBC News: Rarely Seen Bush Scrapbooks Show Love Story That Stood the Test of Time

This is a kinda cool story. Many/maybe most people didn’t know (before now) that Mrs. Bush kept, & apparently put together herself, scrapbooks of every year of her life with Former President Bush 41, from their engagement through to their final years together. There are apparently 118 books in all, according to the linked article, stored in acid-free boxes in a temperature-controlled room at President Bush 41’s Presidential Library & Museum at Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas (soon to be his final resting place). This is the story of those books.

From The Hollywood ReporterActress Michele Carey, Who Co-Starred with John Wayne and Elvis, Dead at Age 75

• Love 7

Shoot. Philip Bosco was a fixture on TV in the days of episodic TV, one of those faces from the pool of character actors that you knew would show up eventually, often more than once and as a different character every time.

• Love 3

At President Bush's funeral, former President George W. Bush was to be seated with the family rather than the other former presidents.   However, before being seated he stopped and shook hands with the other presidents and their wives.   When he got to Michelle Obama, he stopped, reached in his pocket and slipped her a mint while shaking her hand.   She laughed.    I'm glad he had that light moment.   When they were doing the service at the Capitol on Monday he looked just devastated.   Just absolutely destroyed.  

• Love 23

George W and Michelle were exchanging candy at John McCain's funeral.    George W was very emotional at the end of his eulogy for his dad; it's difficult to lose a parent.  And he and his siblings have lost both their mom and dad within a matter of months.  Even when your parent has been blessed with such a long life, and the death is expected and even to be wished for as the end to an illness or decline, it can be gut wrenching. 

James Baker was sobbing at one point.  It's also horrible to lose your best friend.

Very interesting when Trump came in - shook hands with the Obamas, Bill Clinton glanced his way, and Hillary Clinton stared straight ahead.  Gee, I wonder why. 

Sen. Simpson's eulogy was so good - very candid, very humorous, very human.  The eulogies were all different and showed different perspectives of GHWB, but with one underlying theme of decency and caring.  

• Love 18

And George W went down that entire front row, shaking hands with the Trumps, Obamas, Clintons, and Carters.  I think they realize they are members of a unique club.  It's neat that the members of first families show up for these occasions - Susan Ford was there, Tricia Nixon, the two Johnson daughters.  They obviously feel a responsibility to be the representative of their parents.  

• Love 15
11 minutes ago, Calvada said:

George W and Michelle were exchanging candy at John McCain's funeral.    George W was very emotional at the end of his eulogy for his dad; it's difficult to lose a parent.  And he and his siblings have lost both their mom and dad within a matter of months.  Even when your parent has been blessed with such a long life, and the death is expected and even to be wished for as the end to an illness or decline, it can be gut wrenching. 

James Baker was sobbing at one point.  It's also horrible to lose your best friend.

Very interesting when Trump came in - shook hands with the Obamas, Bill Clinton glanced his way, and Hillary Clinton stared straight ahead.  Gee, I wonder why. 

Sen. Simpson's eulogy was so good - very candid, very humorous, very human.  The eulogies were all different and showed different perspectives of GHWB, but with one underlying theme of decency and caring.  

Did he shake hands with Trump?

• Love 1

It must be strange for all of the surviving (former & current) Presidents to go to a state funeral, knowing that someday that will be your funeral service.  I realize the first family can make changes, but most of the pomp has been the same forever.  Maybe they sit there making mental notes on what they do or don’t want.

Was Mrs. Carter there?  I don’t recall seeing her.  And the Quayle’s?  I can’t even remember what she looked like back in the day, and I dont think I’ve seen him in years.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

I saw Baker crying several times-- I didn't know til he was interviewed the other day that he was such close friends with Bush. Interesting. I'm also always fascinated by the friendship that developed between Bill Clinton and Bush-- I would not have imagined that would be possible after watching them debate back in the 80's. Clinton did not go easy on him and I always felt that Bush took it very personally. But after it was all said and done, for them to become friends, it's kind of amazing.

I do wonder if Pres. Trump has enough self-awareness to be feeling uncomfortable sitting there in that row ! He's said some pretty awful things about some of the people- both Clintons and Obama, mostly. Or maybe he thinks it's all fair game ? Personally, I think he went way too far, too often. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but I just don't think he deserves that.

Going back to the funeral, one of the networks I was watching said that- in addition to all of our former and current leaders and all- that there were other notable persons there, specifically Prince Charles. It's weird because I never saw even a glimpse of him. I wonder was he was sitting ?

• Love 7
3 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

The entire service was beautiful, very impressive. I agree that W is just devastated, he almost made it to the end of his eulogy but choked up at the end and was crying when he sat back down.

That was the most beautiful funeral I’ve ever watched. Every speaker was so moving, touching, and a bit humorous. 

45 minutes ago, willco said:

I saw Baker crying several times-- I didn't know til he was interviewed the other day that he was such close friends with Bush. Interesting. I'm also always fascinated by the friendship that developed between Bill Clinton and Bush-- I would not have imagined that would be possible after watching them debate back in the 80's. Clinton did not go easy on him and I always felt that Bush took it very personally. But after it was all said and done, for them to become friends, it's kind of amazing.

I do wonder if Pres. Trump has enough self-awareness to be feeling uncomfortable sitting there in that row ! He's said some pretty awful things about some of the people- both Clintons and Obama, mostly. Or maybe he thinks it's all fair game ? Personally, I think he went way too far, too often. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but I just don't think he deserves that.

Going back to the funeral, one of the networks I was watching said that- in addition to all of our former and current leaders and all- that there were other notable persons there, specifically Prince Charles. It's weird because I never saw even a glimpse of him. I wonder was he was sitting ?

I also wondered if any of this was touching a chord with Trump. And I never saw a Prince Charles either.

• Love 6

My local NBC station just showed a story on the funeral and when they mentioned foreign dignitaries they showed Prince Charles.  If you blinked you would miss it.  Maybe the NBC Nightly News will show that clip again.

As far as all the talk of kindness and civility sinking in, I suspect Trump has all the self awareness of a potted plant.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 24
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

It must be strange for all of the surviving (former & current) Presidents to go to a state funeral, knowing that someday that will be your funeral service.  I realize the first family can make changes, but most of the pomp has been the same forever.  Maybe they sit there making mental notes on what they do or don’t want.

Was Mrs. Carter there?  I don’t recall seeing her.  And the Quayle’s?  I can’t even remember what she looked like back in the day, and I dont think I’ve seen him in years.

Rosalynn Carter was there, sitting next to Jimmy.  The Quayles were in the 2nd row, the VPs' row, with Pence & his wife, Lynne & Dick Cheney, and Joe & Jill Biden.  

• Love 6