Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

MSNBC just broke in to regular programming to report Aretha Franklin has passed away.

6 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

R-E-S-P-E-C-T Ms. Franklin.

Considering how sick she has been, at least she is no longer in pain.   But DAMN, she will be missed.

6 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I just saw.  I hope she didn't suffer and is pain free.  RIP our Queen of Soul

4 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

Just who the heck sings at ARETHA FRANKLIN'S funeral?  I couldn't take the pressure. 

We'll miss you Queen.

???????????????????????????????????

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Brooklynista said:

Just who the heck sings at ARETHA FRANKLIN'S funeral?  I couldn't take the pressure. 

The same one that's been singing at all the other funerals lately, Stevie Wonder I bet.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Vixenstud said:

The same one that's been singing at all the other funerals lately, Stevie Wonder I bet.

Yeah, or Carol King.  Carol must have meant a lot to Aretha, based on how they seemed when Carol received the Kennedy Honor.  It just seems natural.  Pardon the pun. 

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just read that this is the anniversary of Elvis's death.....man...

It's also Madonna's 60th birthday. There are some who are saying that Aretha dying on her birthday is her last act of shade. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 22
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Thank you Aretha Franklin for all that your brought to this planet. I can at least take some solace in that her music will live on forever really. As will her spirit and all the good things she did throughout her life.  This is going to take a long while to process. 

Perhaps, one of my favorite Aretha performances was her tribute not too long ago to Carol King at the Kennedy Honors.  She just walked out there will her professional confidence and extreme talent and showed them all how it's done, PLAYING the piano and singing Natural Woman.  It brought the house down!

Did Aretha invent the "mink drop" that evening?  Too cool for words. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

Did Aretha invent the "mink drop" that evening?  Too cool for words. 

Don't know. All I know is that I was gobsmacked with her performance.  I watch those ceremonies every year and there are some awesome moments, but, her performance in tribute to Carol King really is the standout of ALL imo.  I thought that Carol was going to flip out.  She didn't try to hide how impressed she was, either. Musical royalty, imo. (Aretha and Carol)

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 14

Rest in Power.  Miss Franklin.  Much R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

I love this live version of Dr. Feelgood.  This is one of those songs you need a dark room, a hard drink and some time to think about the choices in your life while listening to it.  LOL.

• Love 15

I'm glad she isn't suffering anymore, but it still hurts.  Seems sad that she's gone now, because very few people these days still know the meaning of R-E-S-P-E-C-T.  But I think she got it in spades during this last week.

• Love 14
43 minutes ago, UYI said:

It's also Madonna's 60th birthday. There are some who are saying that Aretha dying on her birthday is her last act of shade. 

<snort> You know what?  I believe it.  

41 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I watch those ceremonies every year and there are some awesome moments, but, her performance in tribute to Carol King really is the standout of ALL imo.  I thought that Carol was going to flip out.  She didn't try to hide how impressed she was, either. Musical royalty, imo. (Aretha and Carol)

I once had that performance recorded on my DVR.  Reminds me why I still buy CD's/DVD's for things I want to keep.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, UYI said:

It still won't top this:

And boy were Swifties on Twitter maaaaad.....

• Love 13

Very sad about Aretha. One of the greatest singers of all time.

I will watch The Blues Brothers in her honor.

"Don't you blaspheme in here! Don't you blaspheme in here!" Pretty much stole that movie.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just read that this is the anniversary of Elvis's death.....man...

It’s rather fitting, I think—2 musical icons passing on the same day, 41 (I think... I suck at Math) years apart.

2 hours ago, UYI said:

I’ve always wondered if Candice Bergen is/was a big Motown fan in real life, or if it was strictly a characteristic(?) attributed to Murphy Brown. And I hope Murphy’s still a Motown fan (& has learned to like Barry Manilow, since her son Avery liked him at least as a baby) in the revival, which I’m looking forward to seeing.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Thank you Aretha Franklin for all that your brought to this planet. I can at least take some solace in that her music will live on forever really. As will her spirit and all the good things she did throughout her life.  This is going to take a long while to process. 

Perhaps, one of my favorite Aretha performances was her tribute not too long ago to Carol King at the Kennedy Honors.  She just walked out there will her professional confidence and extreme talent and showed them all how it's done, PLAYING the piano and singing Natural Woman.  It brought the house down!

When I try to play the video, it says it’s unavailable. Just FYI.

• Love 1

What is so special about Aretha's music to me is that you just FEEL it on the inside.  She played in the moment, giving her all.  There's just something about a powerhouse like her that puts her at the top, imo.  People like that don't come along that often.  We are so blessed to have had her for the time that we did.  

5 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

When I try to play the video, it says it’s unavailable. Just FYI.

Thanks for letting me know, but, I think that since I posted it, they either removed it from You tube or it's crashed.  Probably a lot of hits. But, here's another link of the same thing.

• Love 8

George Michael and Aretha (above video)....what a treat.  I had forgotten how good they were together.  They both look awesome in that video.  I believe there is a lot of music in heaven....JMO.

It just dawned on me that some may not know why I made so many references to Carol King or who she is.  She wrote Natural Woman and it really is the cornerstone of Aretha's career.  I sometimes forget that not everyone is as old as I am.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(You_Make_Me_Feel_Like)_A_Natural_Woman

• Love 5

Been listening to Aretha most of the day and came to the conclusion that I have about 5-6 favorite tracks of hers:

Jimmy Lee

Jump To It

Spanish Harlem

Till You Come Back To Me

Willing To Forget

Respect

I even listened to Who's Zoomin' Who? today, remembering how much I hated it....no, the one I really couldn't stand was Freeway of Love, gah!

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Damn, I've been nervously checking the news everyday since I heard she was in hospice and yet I still feel sucker-punched!

Same. 

Another legend gone. We've been losing far too many of 'em lately. Rest in peace, Aretha-thank you for sharing your amazing gift and talent with us for so many years. 

I'll have to sit down at some point here and watch all these clips people are sharing :). 

• Love 9

One of my favorites, too, for the performance and for Carole King's reactions throughout.

I even listened to Who's Zoomin' Who? today, remembering how much I hated it....no, the one I really couldn't stand was Freeway of Love, gah!

I know it's mostly thought of for Freeway of Love, but I like that album because it has has an updated version of Sweet Bitter Love, which I, well, love (even more than her '60s recording of it), Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves, and Another Night.

• Love 5

I'm sorry to hear about Aretha. You had such an amazing voice and were such amazing performer. I'm glad she's no longer in any pain but she will be missed so much. One of the best singers of all time. Rest in Peace. 

'

• Love 4

To call Aretha Franklin legendary or iconic would be understatements. So much brilliance, so little time.Of all her classics, some of her best were on the soundtrack to the original Sparkle, which were written by Curtis Mayfield, such as "Jump," "Hooked On Your Love" & "Giving Him Something He Can Feel."

Besides gospel, pop & (of course) soul, Aretha made her mark on Rock & Roll (as in her being the first woman to be  inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame)  & even opera, when she was a last-minute substitute for Luciano Pavarotti & did a take on Nussum Dorma at the 1998 Grammys that was magnificent, to say the least; then again, she was magnificent, to say the least.

RIP, Aretha. A Queen then, a Queen now, a Queen forever.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 14

Sadly, Matt Murphy, who played her husband, died in June of this year.  He was 88.  She has so many people to sing to now, and he's one of them.

9 hours ago, BetterButter said:

• Love 7
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have been holding it together all day, this let the floodgates open.

Thank you so much for sharing this.  I have a special place in my heart for Carol King as a songwriter, to see Aretha sing to her, well, I just couldn't hold it in anymore.

Fabulous.  What a tribute to Carol and what a class act Aretha was.

Edited by BizBuzz
  • Love 16