Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Speaking as a 55-year-old man, thank you from the bottom of my casket for that bit of cheery news.  :-P

I don't know when I'll stop laughing, which is funny because I'm watching the third season premiere of The Fall.

3 hours ago, King of Birds said:

All of you who think 2016 is "the worst" - well you know the Baby Boomers age range is from 52 to 70 now. Prime death years. It's gonna happen. Plus, the expansion of media and broadcasting means you know the Boomers better than almost any generation before them. 

You want the worst year? Look up 1918.

As someone at the tail end of the BB's, it's only gonna get worse as the years start flying by.

I'll one up you:  1343-1348. 1/4-1/3 of the world's ENTIRE POPULATION!

• Love 3
14 hours ago, King of Birds said:

Baby Boomers age range is from 52 to 70 now. Prime death years.

Thank you so much.  I really needed to see that.   Said no Baby Boomer anywhere.

• Love 16
16 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The Spanish flu is not a challenge.   Do you hear that 2016?

Actually, it was first reported in Leavenworth, Kansas but did not get call the 'Spanish flu' until it had ALREADY decimated North America before crossing the Atlantic to hit neutral Spain  thanks to WWI. I guess folks here thought it would sap morale to call it the 'Kansas flu'. Well, I had a great-uncle who died of it after getting hit with mustard gas  in France and whose death impacted two generations of folks who'd never met him. That pandemic was horrific.  Anyway to keep this 'relevant' to the thread's intent, amongst its casualties was a 27-year-old silent movie star named Myrtle Gonzalez who left behind a husband and son AND had been known for making physically challenging movies similar to Lillian Gish's  as well as having had a good soprano voice . However; all this was cut short a good decade before the advent of sound movies thanks to the 1918 Influenza.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

Radio host, composer, and folk singer Oscar Brand has died. 96 is a good run, but it is still sad to hear that another one of the voices of my childhood has been silenced. Thanks for the years of great music, Oscar!

Yes, glad we had him as long as we did.  :(

6 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

Sad news for those in the Triangle of North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville): former ABC11 Eyewitness News anchor Larry Stogner has passed on at 69.

http://abc11.com/1479868/

I no longer live in the Triangle but Larry Stogner had been a fixture in my life since I could remember. My parents always watched the news during supper time so he was a part of dinner table nightly. I moved away seven years ago but kept up via Facebook with the news station. I remember when he was diagnosed with ALS. It's a sad day for many people I know still in the area and myself. He was a wonderful person!

Edited by Mountainair
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, roamyn said:

I saw this, but having moved here last year, I'm not familiar with him.

He must've been pretty well known in the Triangle. 

He was. My parents watched his broadcasts all the time when he joined the WTVD staff, and he remained a local favorite until his retirement just last year. It's like when UNC coach Dean Smith passed last February, most people around here knew who he was and loved him. Rest well, Mr. Stogner, I hope you know how many lives you touched.

• Love 2

Aw, RIP Rod Temperton.  I know most people know him from Thriller, but man (and I am probably dating myself here) but I LOVED Heatwave with a passion.  'Boogie Nights' and of course the romantic ballad that was always the slow down song we got when we'd go skating for the couple skate (shut up!) 'Always and Forever".

• Love 6
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

'Boogie Nights' and of course the romantic ballad that was always the slow down song we got when we'd go skating for the couple skate (shut up!) 'Always and Forever".

I'm dating myself, too.  Whenever I hear "Always and Forever" on the radio, I'm reminded of a basement party I went to and I danced  (ok, did the grind) to this song with a really tall guy (I'm short) and he dripped sweat all over my hair.  Ruined my hairdo.

• Love 3

I had no idea Ford was sick, let alone on life support.  Just saw him again on Harlem Nights this afternoon.  Really, he'll always be Tommy Strong from Martin to me, the one guy who "ain't got no job."  RIP, Mr. Ford.  

• Love 9

King Bhumidol (Rama IX) of Thailand has died at age 88 after a 70-year reign(!).  He was born December 5,1927 in (of all places) Cambridge, Massachusetts,  thanks to his father studying medicine abroad at the time making him the only monarch to be born in the US. He succeeded his older brother at age 18 after his brother's sudden violent death.  He was a descendant of the king believed to be the basis for the play and movie "The King and I" which was banned in Thailand for many years.  With his own death, Elizabeth II is now the longest-reigning living monarch.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/14/world/asia/thai-king-bhumibol-adulyadej-dies.html?_r=0

Edited by Blergh
Adding Factoid re Birth
  • Love 2

This is the happiest I've ever been to report a (partial) death in 2016:

The Curse of the Billy Goat.

Come on Cubs, let's finish the job!

2016 just went a hell of a long way in redeeming itself.

• Love 7
Just now, UYI said:

2016 just went a hell of a long way in redeeming itself.

Saw that on twitter.   Someone posted that the Cubs and Indians going to the World Series is nature's way of trying to make up for the rest of 2016.  Now if the Cowboys go to the Super Bowl* ....

*yes the Super Bowl will be played in 2017 but it will be the 2016 championship game.

• Love 1
On 10/21/2016 at 11:50 PM, Popples said:

"That's not right!"

I haven't seen his stand-up in years, but I find myself saying that all the time. RIP

I remember him from a game show that used to come on Comedy Central in the mid-90's called Make Me Laugh where comedians were challenged to see who could make a contestant laugh the quickest. I'm pretty sure I saw him break a contestant with that very line...it was all in the delivery :) 

• Love 2

RIP Tom. He inspired me back in the day and I voted for him in every California State election I could. I only wish there were more idealistic, firebrand politicians like him now.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2