Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

TCM is showing some Christopher Lee flicks on the 22nd - 

6:15 AM The Mummy (1959)
8:00 AM The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
9:30 AM Horror of Dracula (1958)
11:00 AM Dracula, Prince of Darkness (1966)
12:45 PM Dracula Has Risen From the Grave (1969)
2:30 PM Horror Express (1972)
4:00 PM The Three Musketeers (1972)
6:00 PM The Four Musketeers (1975)

I've been so sad this morning about him.  I'm happy he had a long and apparently very interesting life, lots of fans and accolades, and really, he was a great actor.  Those Hammer films were some of the first films that I was scared by as a child and even though I give Bela props, Lee's Dracula is my favorite.  I still love the Hammer films, and his lifelong friendship and love for fellow actor Peter Cushing was really wonderful.  I'll miss him having appearences in Tim Burton films.  

There's just something so appropriate that he and Vincent Price shared the same birthday, with Cushing's birthday being the 26th.  All grand gentlemen, and all now gone.   

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 3
(edited)

I love that he and Cushing were great friends. I wish, however, they'd switched roles for Hound of the Baskervilles. Not that Cushing was a bad Holmes, just that if Christopher Lee is in a Shelock Holmes movie, he should be Holmes (imo). I love him as Mycroft in The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.

And he's still the best Rochefort from any version of the Musketeers.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

And...Christopher Lee was on the Wings Band On The Run album cover.  Cool stuff!  

I think I may break out my copy of The Wicker Man this weekend, The Curse of Frankenstein and I know I have The Mummy somewhere.    

• Love 1

You'd think I'd know to look at the bloody dates, right?

Don't worry about it; it's an honest mistake. I did the same thing, like, last week with a Bo Diddley obit I saw, while reading something else, on The New York Times's site. It read as current but was actually a few years old (I think).

Christopher Lee was the uncle of British actress Harriet Walter.  She's probably best known to American audiences for her recurring role as "Lady Shackleton" in "Downton Abbey."  

Blaze Starr the burlesque star connected to Governor Earl Long has passed.    What a life.    THey don't make them like that anymore.   Kim K wishes she was as cool and sexy as Blaze Starr.

• Love 6

It wasn't mentioned in his credits, but I'm pretty sure I remember Rick Ducommun was also on Star Search, Ed McMahon's original version, "back in the day". And I think he was a Champion, but--given that he was called a "comedic actor" in the linked obit--I can't remember if he was a Male Actor Champion or a Comedy Champion.

I'm sure it was comedy champion.  He did his stand up routines on Star Search.  He was quite popular on that show and I thought he'd go pretty far - at least further than he did.  He did "The Burbs", and then all but disappeared.  He also was heavier when he was on SS - he used to make weight jokes.  One I remember in particular :

"Ed [McMahon] and I went to catch a plane to be here tonight.  When everyone was on board. the pilot said we had too much weight and had to get rid of the two heaviest items on board:  Ed's wallet and my lunch". 

Don't ask me why that joke has stuck with me all these years. 

RIP Rick.

• Love 1

He was responsible for the music for quite a few movies:   Glory, Titanic, Star Trek II, Willow, Apollo 13, etc.    So many movies that I loved.    

Condolences to his family and friends.

• Love 1
(edited)

Shocked and horrified about James Horner.  I remember when Titanic came out, I was too young to see it, but my parents got me the soundtrack on cassette, and it made me cry buckets long before I ever saw the movie.  The scores to Glory and Braveheart were also heartbreakingly lovely.

Edited by Spartan Girl

I grew up in the tough part of North Philadelphia, the Raymond Rosen Projects....my black card would likely have been taken from me if my neighbors knew of my love for 70's soft rock music and shows like One Day at a Time and Eight is Enough. 

Screw The Cosby Show, I watched EIE every Wednesday night and wanted to be a Bradford in the worst way.  RIP Mr. VanPatten and thanks for such lovely memories.

• Love 9

Shocked and horrified about James Horner.  I remember when Titanic came out, I was too young to see it, but my parents got me the soundtrack on cassette, and it made me cry buckets long before I ever saw the movie.  The scores to Glory and Braveheart were also heartbreakingly lovely.

RIP, James Horner.

• Love 5

Horner was a hell of a composer.  That's sad.

Not personally much of a Van Patten fan as an actor, but as a human being he always seemed nice.

• Love 1
(edited)

I might be watching more of The Avengers from henceforth. 

ETA: was in final episode of Hart to Hart from May 22, 1984, entitled "Meanwhile, Back At The Ranch"; credit taken from fifth-and-final-season DVD

patrickmacneeharttohart_zpsxdmzdzmb.jpg

Edited by bmasters9