Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Does anyone else suspect that when they show these families "buying" a vacation property south of the border (instead of actually moving there), the show is sometimes passing off time shares as properties they're actually buying? I think at the very least some of the decoy properties are really time shares, especially when they're looking at both houses and condos, like the couple buying in Cabo.  Maybe I'm just a cynic, but when the family isn't actually moving and says they just want a vacation home they'll spend a couple weeks in, and rent out the rest of the year, I start wondering if maybe they're really just showing a time share they bought into. That's what a lot of them look like to me.

I've pretty much assumed that to be the case, especially with the condos.

32 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Bet there is no Child Protective Services in Costa Rica.  That kid is in need of some help.

The kid was enrolled in school, happy healthy and living in a house with a great view and pool, no need for help or any countries child protective service to be involved. 

Nothing says "new, unique" experience like surrounding yourself with other Caucasian foreigners so that you can expose your child to Costa Rican life.

I wonder if they'll even bother to learn Spanish? Didn't hear a single word of it on the show, or even see anyone who looked like they might be native. 

My idea of living in other places involves immersion, not segregation. 

I'm going to assume that the crib was where she kept (and visited) her stuffed animals and that her bed was elsewhere.

On September 11, 2016 at 11:11 PM, mojito said:

I can relate to people who seek out new adventures in other countries. I have a hard time, though, with the notion that it takes a move to another country to slow down, which it seems that many house hunters state that they believe. I don't buy it. Are people so pressured by peers that they can't make a stand and alter their lives right where they are, or at least in a less populated American region? Back in the mid-80s, I recall listening to a radio talk show where people in major cities discussed their choice to become less materialistic, busy, burdened by social "obligations". I'm old school and think that change comes from within more than from external forces.

The Idaho couple makes you think more about the countless ways that people make money, doesn't it? A mermaid? Who'd've thunk?

Well shit.  Just move to the west coast of Florida.  Your money goes as far or further than some of the third world shacks you see on this show.   I am sorry, but if I'm moving to the DR, I am not paying the same price as I would in Naples, Fl for new construction under the post Andrew building codes.    Why these fools pay top dollar to live in these places with high crime rates (that plenty of natives are fleeing) is beyond me.   Sorry, not sorry.  A stable infrastructure is key to relaxing in my book.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

A stable infrastructure is key to relaxing in my book.

Along with freedom from the fear of being a target for God knows what.  Some of these ex-pats live in gated compounds to avoid the crime.  Doesn't sound all that relaxing or enlightening to me.

• Love 4

If you want your child to be a "citizen of the world", most metropolitan areas in the US fill that bill.  It looked like Camille's dad was more concerned about exotic flora and fauna than he was about Camille having friends who might expand her horizons.  Truthfully, he wanted a warm climate and a cheaper cost of living.  Just admit it, ya doofus.

Those monkeys?  Do they stay in the trees?  What about snakes, venomous spiders?  None of those in the jungle?

If they valued Camille's opinion, why didn't they take her along? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

Those monkeys?  Do they stay in the trees?  What about snakes, venomous spiders?  None of those in the jungle?

Exactly!  Do they come in the house? carry disease?  where do they poop, etc?

I feel like the wife really wasn't on board with moving.  She basically wanted EVERYTHING to look and be like her home back on Georgia. Husband was an idiot!  

• Love 4

Some of these ex-pats live in gated compounds to avoid the crime.

If I had to huddle in a compound and live removed from mainstream life of a country, this would not be the country for me.

I've given thought to living elsewhere but it doesn't seem to be anything a week or two of vacation elsewhere doesn't remedy. 

When I saw the monkeys overhead, I wondered how much monkey poop would end up in that must-have pool. 

• Love 3

Costa Rica family... just weeeeird. I'm just a horrible asshole, because all I could think while looking at that dad was how even if he had the best-est personality, how could someone look at his face and think "hey, sexy! let's do it!" Woofers. I know that's really mean, but maybe he'd be less unattractive if he changed his selfish attitude and habit of literally looking down his nose at people through those fugly clear glasses.

• Love 2

Dewey, I agree.  The other weeeeeird thing was that he looked a lot like the real estate agent, except the agent was a foot taller.  At first I was confused about who the husband was, they looked so much alike (probably the hair and the glasses).  Personality and manner were much different though.  I'd do the agent [cough], but the husband is just skeevy. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Well shit.  Just move to the west coast of Florida.  Your money goes as far or further than some of the third world shacks you see on this show.   I am sorry, but if I'm moving to the DR, I am not paying the same price as I would in Naples, Fl for new construction under the post Andrew building codes.    Why these fools pay top dollar to live in these places with high crime rates (that plenty of natives are fleeing) is beyond me.   Sorry, not sorry.  A stable infrastructure is key to relaxing in my book.  

Funny you should say that. The Mr. And I  have seriously considered buying property abroad for a few years now. The more we've visited the Caribbean, Central, and South America ( his preferred regions), the more we've started to realize that many of the things we're after could be found in Coastal Florida. The dots don't connect that easily, I know, but it's amazing how considerations like proximity to medical care, available utilities on demand, political and/or social stability, economic and social equality, a movie theater(!) take on new meaning when you're no longer in your 20s. In other words, a lot of the things that are never seen when you're visiting a place for a few weeks on vacation.

Just some outward musing. I'll continue enjoying my armchair travels with HHI. Some of our real vacations have actually come from seeing a place on HHI and thinking, " That place looks interesting. Let's go check it out!"

• Love 5

I know, but it's amazing how considerations like proximity to medical care, available utilities on demand, political and/or social stability, economic and social equality, a movie theater(!) take on new meaning when you're no longer in your 20s.

Yes, "roughing it" seems so adventurous for a while but it wears thin pretty quickly.  When I retired I moved to northern MI to a small resort town.  While I dearly love it and don't regret it for a minute, there are times when I wish for a closer proximity to a lot of things as it is an hour drive to the closest chain or department store, medical center, concert venue, or movie theater.  At least we're politically stable!

• Love 4

In how many of these episodes the people say, "We came [here] for a vacation, fell in love with it and decided that we want to live here!" So they're pulling up stakes, quitting their jobs, selling their worldly possessions and leaving behind family and friends in order to chase their not-very-well-thought-through pipe dream. Or even worse is when it's one person's idea and they're dragging everyone else along reluctantly. 

• Love 3

Not only that, but what if after a couple years they decide they want to come back to the states?  What will they do?  Stay with friends or relatives until they look for jobs and find a place to live?  None of that is easy.  Now it might be easier for retirees who have some steady income, but they would still need to find a place to live that they could afford.

• Love 2

It would be nice if HHI also covered some of the regulations regarding ownership and work permits.  I would bet dollars to donuts these people don't get real jobs in Vacationland.  Many countries have pretty strict regulations on that sort of thing.  

And staying somewhere for a couple of fun-filled weeks does not always translate to a happy life there.  Vacation tends to have you looking at things through rose-colored glasses.  It's unique and fun to buy food every day from the local stands but when you have to do it every day because supermarkets don't exist is entirely another matter.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, mojito said:

If I had to huddle in a compound and live removed from mainstream life of a country, this would not be the country for me.

Plenty of "natives" in these countries (especially the wealthier citizens) live in gated communities. Unless you're spending 24 hours a day in your gated community, you will be in the mainstream life of the country. 

If you're pursuing a dream of living in a foreign country, wouldn't it make sense to plan to live there for a year and just RENT? (Actually, that's not a bad idea when you move anywhere.) A place where you spent a lovely vacation in a resort might be an entirely different story during the hurricane/monsoon/locusts/fire and brimstone season. At the end of the year you can evaluate whether or not you want to stay and put down roots or return to the States without burning all your bridges behind you. 

• Love 5

Okay, I didn't move to another country, but I did up and move from NY to Hawaii.  I had gone there on vacation and 'fell in love' with it, but I put myself on a 5 year plan to save enough to move, and visited the islands several times, straying out of the tourist areas to see if I really liked living there versus vacationing there.  I have been here 27 years, so I guess the answer was yes.  lol 

My move was much easier than an out of country move, yet I researched the hell out of it:  I do wonder what some of the HHI folk do for research:  some seem so stunned by the prices of homes that it makes you wonder.

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, laredhead said:

AlleC17, you should apply to be on HHI because it seems that the majority of the people who are on there have been living in the featured country for a year or several years, LOL.  Which island is your residence?

lol  I am on Oahu.  Maybe I should move to Fiji and 3 years later apply! 

• Love 2

Munich couple...there was something really off about them.  I get it, you need family time, you need separation from mom, but he seemed almost obsessed about it.  I got a really creepy vibe from him.  Creepy as if she tried to leave him you would find her dismembered body in the woods. 

I didn't think the Munich guy was creepy; I just thought he hated the thought of having his mother-in-law living with them.  So, if anyone's body is found dismembered in the woods, it'll be hers.  ; )

• Love 5

Did anyone see the couple moving from Florida to Vienna last night?  He is a nuclear engineer going to work for the UN, and she's a photographer.  They looked at two modern apartments, one of which had two terraces and a stunning 360 view from the top.  The second place was bright and spacious, though it didn't have great terrace views, and she didn't like the galley kitchen.  The last one was in a gorgeous older building that required some creative thought on which room to use as a bedroom and living room.

I got distracted at the end and didn't see which apartment they chose, so if anyone knows, help me out, please!

13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think they chose the first one.  I remember the kitchen having a weird angle but I don't think it was galley.  It was pretty open.

Yeah, they got the over-budget modern one.  I know this storyline is generally made up for tv, but it bugs when the budget is obviously not really the budget.  I refuse to believe that the wife is really going to be able to build enough of a business in Vienna to make up the $300 am month difference since I'm sure the city is already chock-full of photographers who can do the cheap crap we saw her doing at the end.  But she "gave up everything" for his job move, so of course she gets what she wants while he gets almost nothing except the terraces.

I would've chosen the last place in the historic building.  What's the point of moving to Vienna and then living in a bland, boring modern place which looks like it could be anywhere?

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I liked the place they chose the best with those terraces and views they certainly won't forget they are living in Vienna. Lots of Europens live in or prefer a more modern style.

It's a matter of personal taste, but for me, big modern crap is anonymous and can be anywhere and doesn't give ME a sense of place.

• Love 1

But if modern comes with a great view, then it's not anonymous.  When I lived in France and Spain, my apartments had all the charm of the generic 70s because that's all I could afford.  And yet, the view from the window told a different story and they weren't even as awesome as the view these guys had.  

It makes for a better viewing experience when they look at places on TV but there's something to be said for modernity/modern amenitities.  If I never have to light an oven with a match to get it to work again, it'll be too soon.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It's a matter of personal taste, but for me, big modern crap is anonymous and can be anywhere and doesn't give ME a sense of place.

I wouldn't call the place the chose a big modern piece of crap. It was a decent sized rwo bedroom with interesting features and two lovely terraces.

You experience living abroad through a multiple of ways and it's usually outside your apartment.

• Love 2

I thought the Vienna guy came across as a real unlikable jerk, so I was glad that she "won that round" and got the apartment she wanted. Even then he had to make a comment about it was because he didn't want to have to listen to her complaints about being disappointed in the apartment he wanted in the old building. And what a douche to say "I concur..." And on a purely shallow note, wouldn't a professional photographer know that it was important to wear some kind of makeup to conceal those blemishes? 

I thought all 3 of the Munich apartments were quite nice - surprised how large most of the rooms were and much cheaper than most of the European major cities we see.  Although the layout was strange in that 3rd one - it appeared you had to walk thru  other room to get to the d one which had access to the outdoors so I can't see using that room as your bedroom.  At you going to have all those guests you entertain walk thru the bedroom? 

Also thought it funny that 2 of the apartments had the same greenish? glass backsplash in the kitchen.

From this show I'd say Europeans like colored kitchens much more so than here.  I've never been in anyone's kitchen that didn't have wood or white cabinets.  Red seems popular on the German shows.  So many of the kitchens look sleek and very modern.

Something else I never understand is when people see a terrace/balcony off the master bedroom and talk about what a great spot to have breakfast.  Are you going to set up a mini kitchen in your bedroom?

On ‎09‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 2:12 AM, biakbiak said:

I wouldn't call the place the chose a big modern piece of crap. It was a decent sized rwo bedroom with interesting features and two lovely terraces.

You experience living abroad through a multiple of ways and it's usually outside your apartment.

Like I said, personal taste.  I seriously dislike modern design and would never live in a modern apartment unless it was my only reasonable choice.  I didn't find the features in that apartment interesting - I thought they were bland and boring - and I'm not an outdoors person so the terraces didn't make a difference to me.  If it were me, I would not have chosen that particular place.  But hey, it's just my opinion.

• Love 1

What I don't get is the ones where they take the kitchen cabinets to the next apartment.   Won't the wall eventually get messed up from taking down an putting up cabinets each time a new owner moves in?   may as well take your toilet back and forth, it's easier to pull and install.

theres modern, and then there's cheap and bland.  IMO, many of the international homes they show are clunky and poorly designed.  

Did anyone else get a weird vibe from the Costa Rica couple?   I can't quite figure it out, but there was something skeevy about him, and to me, the young girl looked more like a young boy.   Nothing wrong with short hair, but she had boyish features.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Did anyone else get a weird vibe from the Costa Rica couple?   I can't quite figure it out, but there was something skeevy about him, and to me, the young girl looked more like a young boy.   Nothing wrong with short hair, but she had boyish features.  

I got a weird vibe and I just didn't like looking at either of them.  She looked fine in the pictures when she had longer hair, so I can't for the life of me figure out why she got the buzz cut.  He claimed he ran a "travel website" (which is what a lot of the international HHers say), but I swear they looked like they're running some kind of online sex club or something, lol.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I got a weird vibe and I just didn't like looking at either of them.  She looked fine in the pictures when she had longer hair, so I can't for the life of me figure out why she got the buzz cut.

My first thought was that she had undergone chemo and lost her hair.  But I'm sure this backstory would have been milked for all it's worth by the producers.  Plus she looked healthy and plump, and as someone who's been through chemo I can attest that it takes a terrible toll on your body and your looks. 

I didn't think they were creepy while watching, but after reading comments here I'm beginning to agree.  Y'all are jaded and twisted.  And for that, I'm grateful.

• Love 1

They seemed like an ordinary couple to me. Probably more interesting than most because of all their travels. I'm glad they compromised on the place they selected. 

I was fine with her hair. Hair gives you a temporary style and I think it's kind of fun that people choose to do different things with their hair at different times. The tats, though, are going nowhere. Tats are too much of a commitment for me.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Albino said:

My first thought was that she had undergone chemo and lost her hair.  But I'm sure this backstory would have been milked for all it's worth by the producers.  Plus she looked healthy and plump, and as someone who's been through chemo I can attest that it takes a terrible toll on your body and your looks. 

I forgot to mention that that was my first thought as well, but she did look healthy.  

I'm glad the guy in Helsinki got the place that best suited HIS needs despite all his sister's attempts to make him pick the second place.  He seemed fine (although I'll confess to have dozed off and missed the beginning of the episode) but all her whining about "space for the family when they come to visit" made me want to punch her through the tv.  They have these things called "hotels" for just that eventuality, bitch.

• Love 7

but all her whining about "space for the family when they come to visit" made me want to punch her through the tv.  They have these things called "hotels" for just that eventuality, bitch.

OMG...Word.  Selfish twat, how about being concerned for your brother's comfort and needs first and foremost instead of your maybe once a year vacation.  He was so calm and realistic about everything, how we always hope foreign house hunters will be.  Thank goodness she was there to represent the "ugly American".  I cheered when he picked the first place with it's horrifying (how could you live with it??!) little, brown tiles.  

• Love 6

Strange explanation: she's there to help her practical brother because a practical person wouldn't know how to pick a home that he'd be comfortable in. HHI didn't do her any favors, depicting her pushing for the apartment that was just a few feet from parked cars. At least this time, they admitted that he'd been in the country for a year already. It was silly for them to show us his home town in NC.

Edited by mojito
typo
  • Love 4
On 9/28/2016 at 10:44 AM, proserpina65 said:

I'm glad the guy in Helsinki got the place that best suited HIS needs despite all his sister's attempts to make him pick the second place.  He seemed fine (although I'll confess to have dozed off and missed the beginning of the episode) but all her whining about "space for the family when they come to visit" made me want to punch her through the tv.  They have these things called "hotels" for just that eventuality, bitch.

HHI used the same "script" for the Barcelona episode, where the young, single guy's parents are trying to convince him that he needs a 2 bedroom place with a big kitchen in a family-friendly neighborhhood so they would have a place to stay when they come to visit, "because hotel rooms in Barcelona are hard to get on short notice".  Of course the place he chose made the most sense for him. The brown tile was an unfortunate choice, but for goodness' sake, its not the worst thing in the world.

Funny stuff, these HH "storylines".

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, mojito said:

Reno to France. I learned that having an ordinary-looking fireplace is "French charm".  I have new appreciation for my home now. 

HHI: cooking classes in all these episodes? You're overdoing it.

I knew they would choose the apartment with the mold in the bathroom. Wish they had mentioned if that had been remediated.....surely it had! She seemed like she had always been treated like a special snowflake. And then the guy tells her that since it has always been HER dream to live there he would let her choose. Well, I hope he realizes that he is making a sacrifice too. Unless her dad is footing the bill.

Helsinki guy - interesting job designing rooms on a cruise ship - at least I thought that's what he said but then he also said he's an engineer. 

Sister was ridiculous about the brown tiles - how could you live with them???? - loved his reply I'm neither in either room that much.

I would have taken the bigger place even though it looked at a parking lot.  I couldn't imagine living in that one room of the place he took plus wasn't "the view" (which didn't seem anything special to me) only visible if you actually stood at the window?

I wonder if he speaks any Finnish since he went to school there.

Re: French episode.  I guess they're going to home school those 4 boys since there was no mention of school.  The father's wife must have died recently because he still seemed so broken up about it.   Nice of the daughter to take him with them to France.