Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A friend of mine has a beautiful Chicago apartment.  He was invited to be one of the places the couple looks at but it was explained that they were NOT in the market for his type of home--it was just pretty enough to be on the show.

I actually look for and like natural light. If by that, you mean light from outside through various types of windows. Pretty important for me, as if I don't have it I feel closed in, like a cave. I don't view that request as egregious as "entertaining" and walk-in closets. 

• Love 4

I need a week of HHI where the house hunters are not from the US or Canada, and they're looking for homes here. I'd love to hear their comments about our homes.

"This room is a closet?"

"Does this family have a cooking staff?"

"Are walls expensive in North America?"

• Love 17

I've been trying to figure out the wife from tonight's Costa Rica episode.  Being a special ed teacher, I was wondering if she was a lower IQ person.  First, her voice was so child-like that I thought she was a 12 year old, and her speech patterns were not that of an adult.  Then I saw her behaviors and that really led me to wondering about her level of functioning, like when she started swinging around a post on the staircase and the agent had to admonish her to not do that, and she responded that it was fun, and she liked fun. Now really, what normal adult behaves like that?  There were other behaviors that just seemed to point that her level of intelligence was not good.  

• Love 7

Well, she was certainly different.  What I noticed most was her sour (sad? angry? tired?) expression when she was in the background.  If she wasn't on camera, her mouth was downturned.  Her husband seemed to barely tolerate her, especially when she kept going "Beach! Beach!" when the beach property didn't have the WiFi they needed to support themselves.

Then I thought maybe I was biased against anyone who would name a child Domino.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

Well, she was certainly different.  What I noticed most was her sour (sad? angry? tired?) expression when she was in the background.  If she wasn't on camera, her mouth was downturned.  Her husband seemed to barely tolerate her, especially when she kept going "Beach! Beach!" when the beach property didn't have the WiFi they needed to support themselves.

Yes, I know they already pick out a place already, so I thought it was weird that the wife kept going on about the beach property like a little kid especially when they wouldn't be able to work from there even if they were actually picking from those 3 places. I don't know if it was because she had a lower IQ or not, but I got the feeling that something was off about her. 

• Love 4

Costa Rica is an ecotourist's dream, particularly when you get to live in a house where you'll keep windows and doors wide open. Mosquitoes, geckos, water bugs, iguanas, snakes, monkeys, etc. want so much to contribute to the country's economic boom that they refrain from coming inside of people's homes. You can't beat that kind of cooperation.

I thought Costa Rica lady was probably a perfect fit for a Bohemian city. 

• Love 5

She does not want a "cookie cutter kid".  Really? So you are putting her in the middle of the jungle? To live a1% lifestyle? Ok then....

I've never been to Costa Rica, but based on what they're showing of it on HHI, I wouldn't want to live there. Beaches are fun, I guess, but most homes they're showing are in a jungle or on top of a mountain, very isolated. I don't see urban areas with dining, entertainment, museums, etc. The expats are never shown interacting with locals. And it probably has more to do with the show than with the country, but it seems like the Costa Rica episodes draw the most entitled rich snowflakes.

• Love 3

My daughter did a summer in Costa Rica internship. It is  pretty rough with roads, etc. You really need to drive a standard so she got  out of most of that, not knowing how. You don't want to learn there. ; )

It is for the wealthy although there are very poor areas as you might surmise. She felt it was nice to visit but the bad internet, plumbing, etc. in many areas made it more of a vacation spot to her, than a place she would love to live. Where she was had mild nightlife, some new foods to try, lots of bugs and interesting creatures...lots of pictures of those. Netting was a necessity and although homes are better than her cottage, they get in and it's an annoyance you have to live with. Everything is a trade off

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

When the Costa Rica wife asked the realtor, "What's with the rain?", and the realtor replied, "Well, this is the rain forest", I laughed my head off.  That wife really was "different" and not necessarily in a good way. 

It was actually the husband who said that the realtor just told her she would have to get used to it.

• Love 2

Melbourne last night was in my family's neighborhood -- Beaumaris.  It's a great suburb but very far from the center of the city, so I wonder where he was going to work.  It was also a shame they didn't talk about what school the kids were going to, or spend more time on the local shopping street, or any other practical stuff.  Instead it was all with the wife and her silly demand to be within walking distance of the beach "so they could live the Australian lifestyle."  Melbourne is a sprawling city and very few people make "walking distance to the beach" a priority in their house search, in part because Port Philip Bay isn't really the "beach" you might go to.  It's sort of like insisting on a view of the Eiffel Tower from your living room so you can live like a true Parisian.  

• Love 8

Melbourne is a sprawling city and very few people make "walking distance to the beach" a priority in their house search, in part because Port Philip Bay isn't really the "beach" you might go to. 

Uh-huh. That's something I think about whenever people talk about being able to walk to the beach and be near shops. Almost every coastal location that I've been to had one thing in common: the desirable beaches are nowhere near the "downtown-ish" shopping area. The "cities" are located at a rocky shoreline with peers and not much sand and not usually near any white-sanded beaches where you'd want your kids to frolic. 

I guess this is my day for taking everyone literally. While listening to wife state that "she's not a fan of" things, I imagined her in a cheerleader uniform with pop-poms. 

I  chuckled at the family's desire to have a bedroom for each girl. I wonder how many 1960s fathers (and mothers, for that matter), would be relieved that they had all girls so that they could all share one bedroom, thus eliminating the need for any more than two bedrooms. 

• Love 6

The one bedroom for each kid cracks me up because my step-daughter and her husband have 6 kids, with number 7 on the way, and live in a 2 bedroom house. I think they're crazy, but so far no one has died and everyone seems happy.

• Love 7
On 2/18/2017 at 11:53 PM, Former Nun said:

Can't this show script their home seekers to be less "ugly American"?    Get new producers.  Get a new slant; we're getting bored.  These are terms not EVERY American uses when looking for a place to live--even IN America.     (1) We need room for entertaining.   EGAD!  Can't one say (ever), "We like to have parties," or "we like to have people over."  No...everyone ENTERTAINS.   (2) Walk-in closets.   WALK-IN FREAKING CLOSETS???   (3) Natural light.  SURELY...surely, not everyone notices, neeeeeeds, or comments on natural light.  (4) Everyone seems to require stainless steel appliances and granite counters (even the "poorest" newlyweds).  It's a fad, people...it will pass. The producers need to provide new vocabularies for these "rich" ex-pats.  As for the uppity wife moving to Ecuador...we're all SO impressed with your demands vs. the gigantic $800 budget.  Queen of Cuenca.

I just watched my first HHI in 2 years and I agree with the producers needing to mix it up. Everyone still needs a whole room just to Entertain, even though most Europeans live in small apartments and if they want to meet up meet up at bars/clubs. And if I'm to believe the fake backstories, most of these couples move somewhere far from friends/family so who are they hosting?! 2) Parents who want a "Fill-in-Country" style-house so their kids can grow up "insert nationality". In reality it means they want a Epcot-style home and their kids to go to an ex-pat school.  3)Finally, individual decides to buy/rent House A which is $20K over their budget. Of course, the seller just wants to sell the house and so they get it for $25K less then the asking price. It always happens.. 

It's getting so just by introducing the couples, I know who will say what, which one will be the diva and what house they will go for. But I do love that it always ends with the new homeowner chopping vegetables for a dinner with the realtor and "friends".

• Love 6
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The one bedroom for each kid cracks me up because my step-daughter and her husband have 6 kids, with number 7 on the way, and live in a 2 bedroom house. I think they're crazy, but so far no one has died and everyone seems happy.

I'm curious now, I can see two or even three kids sharing a bedroom, but six (soon to be seven)? Is it a particularly large room? Or do some of the kids sleep in the living room?

I'm originally from the former Soviet Union, and every family I knew back then lived in a one or maximum two-bedroom apartment, so someone always slept in the living room. I didn't know anyone with more than three kids though.

2 hours ago, Tardislass said:

Everyone still needs a whole room just to Entertain, even though most Europeans live in small apartments and if they want to meet up meet up at bars/clubs.

My parents live in Germany in a condo with a - gasp! - closed kitchen and small dining room, and they still manage to host dinners for up to 12 people. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I'm curious now, I can see two or even three kids sharing a bedroom, but six (soon to be seven)? Is it a particularly large room? Or do some of the kids sleep in the living room?

I'm originally from the former Soviet Union, and every family I knew back then lived in a one or maximum two-bedroom apartment, so someone always slept in the living room. I didn't know anyone with more than three kids though.

My parents live in Germany in a condo with a - gasp! - closed kitchen and small dining room, and they still manage to host dinners for up to 12 people. 

Not a large bedroom, but it is wall to wall beds, so they will need bunk beds soon. They are renting, and can't afford anything bigger, which has me scratching my head why they keep having more kids. I do a lot of biting my tongue when we visit - we are in MD and they are in NOLA. Obviously we stay in a hotel when we visit.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Former Nun said:

I'm sure that somehow "gifts from God" will enter that conversation.

Exactly - which is why I'm not having that conversation. But knowing they are well with what I would consider to be unreasonable living conditions really riles me about HH claiming each kid needs their own room.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Maybe people of a certain income level, have separate bedrooms but growing up in my middle class town and the city/suburb I live in now, most homes are 3 bedroom and if people have more than 2 children, they share without a hassle. Some have 2 of the same sex and (gasp) they use the extra bedroom for a playroom or den or office.  Somehow they survive. 

When my daughters went to college, they said they could tell the ones that always had their own room, you did adjust a little better sharing when you always had too.

9 hours ago, Tardislass said:

It's getting so just by introducing the couples, I know who will say what, which one will be the diva and what house they will go for. But I do love that it always ends with the new homeowner chopping vegetables for a dinner with the realtor and "friends".

I've seen so many of Tiny House Nation and thought that cutting vegetables at the end with friends was unique to them...I figure it's the color of the peppers and vegetables that looks good on camera. : ) One woman though made such a stink of not cooking during the show, and she didn't need a large kitchen, etc. they had her make brownies and she was like, "see, I did this here"

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Tardislass said:

Omg! Yes! Always! And lots of wine. Because, its all about "entertaining" *insert eyeroll*

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Because, its all about "entertaining" *insert eyeroll*

When I was in my late 20s (the late 60s) a girl/woman in our crowd always talked about "entertaining," while we rolled our eyes (behind her back, of course...that's the type of friends we were).  Two babies in diapers and she "entertains"!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Former Nun said:

When I was in my late 20s (the late 60s) a girl/woman in our crowd always talked about "entertaining," while we rolled our eyes (behind her back, of course...that's the type of friends we were).  Two babies in diapers and she "entertains"!

Actually, when I got to open houses that is the only thing on HH that I don't hear. I've heard the "I can't work without SS appliances", "the furniture is ugly", and "I can't live in a house with purple walls". But entertaining has never come up. I do live in an urban environment so maybe we're all used to multi-purpose rooms.

My favorite HHI Entertain bragger was the woman moving to Argentina to teach tango and wanted not just a big room for entertaining but also practicing her dance moves. I felt sorry for the people in the apartment below since they'll be hearing it a lot. And hearing her talk about Argentina and tango reminds me of all the Americans who think everyone in Spain wants to dance flamenco.  

• Love 2

Delft, Netherlands.

The couple had a dog, Watson. Incredibly, once they were on the house hunt, there was no mention of him. No lamenting lack of yard or park. No worrying about the dog taking stairs. These people acted as though their dog was a pet. At the end, she merely commented that the dog walks all over the city with them. Now that was unusual.

• Love 6
On 2/20/2017 at 2:42 PM, Ottis said:

I actually look for and like natural light.

Probably most people do.  It's just that not EVERY person looking for a place to live on a TV show needs to comment on it.   There are many more things to mention than natural light or the lack thereof.  Or just say, "It's nice and bright in here."  "I don't like how dark it is down here."

• Love 2
On 2/8/2017 at 7:21 PM, mojito said:

Amsterdam Boat Man.  So many unanswered questions about Scott's career intentions, where he's been living (were they living in Europe all this time?), where his ex lives now (because Natalie will be spending time with him). Two thoughts kept coming to mind as I watched. 1) I would love to see Scott do Natalie's hair, and 2) I would love to hear Natalie's story years from now when she's in college telling her new friends about her childhood. She could easily become The Most Interesting Woman in the World, especially if she gets to travel the canals of Europe somehow. "Well, there was a lot of turmoil in my life before I was adopted, but then I was adopted and things were going great. Then came my dads' divorce....that's dads plural, then apostrophe....yes, it is a little offbeat...oh, you don't even know the half of it, but that's a story for another time...."

I liked the idea of the two cruising the canals of Europe, I liked the first houseboat the most, but I guess the pirate ship was the best choice. I'd rather be in a cramped apartment overlooking the canal, however.

Question.  How do you know Natalie was adopted?  She could have been the biological daughter of his husband.

I have a feeling Scott knows how to do her hair, it's not that hard to learn how to do a black girl's hair.  It's not like her hair is some exotic thing, it's hair.

How do you know Natalie was adopted?  She could have been the biological daughter of his husband.

Good grief. If you read carefully, I wrote a fictitious dialogue. You're free to write your own fiction.

Yeah, it is hard for some. I have a lifetime experience of not doing it well.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 2

I realized the airbnb ad was posted earlier, but a quick google said he was a lawyer at one time, lived in kansas then. Seems like a cool guy and his ship got some good reviews from guests. A lot of times with children, I wonder about school, etc. but I realize that isn't the focus of the show. I saw something that showed his spouse was in law also. Certain careers lend themselves to moving international but I still think it would be harder than many make it seem.

another article if interested :http://www.hutchnews.com/news/local_state_news/hgtv-to-spotlight-former-hutch-man-whose-ship-came-in/article_98e03cad-913b-5e6e-b238-bc92bf681f7f.html

Edited by debraran

I watched one last night..missed the first five minutes or so.  The girl gave up a job in Manhattan (was she a writer?)...to live with her boyfriend in maybe Brooklyn?  With his roommates?  Who were mentioned as being slobs.  She gave up her lifestyle so she could move with her kind-of-homely boyfriend who..I don't know if I have this right...wanted to write rap music?  He was really really irritating.  Bordering on entitled and obnoxious.  They were moving to Argentina?? so he could have seclusion to write his music.  Do I have the premise right?  She was very attractive and vivacious.  Why would she give up everything to follow this jerk to a country where he wanted seclusion and not real close to any amenities.  He told her she "could ride the bus" if she wanted to go into the "city".. I just hated hate hated him.  Since I missed the first part of the show, I may have missed them showing him being charming.  Or nice.  

I have to say that at the end, she seemed happy enough.  She was writing a food blog, which I assume was a success.  They were having friends from the states visit, in addition to family.  The place they moved to didn't seem to have all that much to see or do.  Yes, I am negative because of the boyfriend.  This was probably a rerun from awhile back and has been discussed.    

My point is that she seemed to be the one making all the sacrifices...but at least she hadn't married him.  Yet.

• Love 3

Kemper, there was a discussion about this episode when it first aired some months ago.  You can probably find it somewhere on this forum, but I cannot remember when it was first shown.  Perhaps someone else can help.  

All righty then, just watched the couple from Charleston SC finding a place in Greenwich, south of the Thames in London - and it really reminded me that they have possibly 11 minutes of actual footage for these episodes, and the rest is re-running them over and over.   First a preview of the first house, then seeing the first house (Oh it's exactly what I wanted! / It really isn't my style..) - then before the second house, rerunning half of the visit to the first house --  ditto before the third, then a re-running again of the all the principal comments about all three places.  I swear we saw them walking into the first place at least four times.  Try just taking a little more film, people! 

Interesting too, in London, they talked a lot about the needs of the two large dogs (very bad idea, in London) - but none of the usual yada-yada about how far is it to the Tube to get to work ?  He evidently didn't care about that.  Very odd. 

Anyway my point today is, we're getting pretty tired of the re-hashing very few comments to fill up the half hour.  Seriously, HHI.  Think about that.

And I am getting to like Richard a lot, although I still miss Toby Brown, realtor extraordinaire. 

• Love 10

I don't watch it as often as others, but  I was noticing the same thing, so much rehashing the same footage. I started to use the FF button much more often and can watch 4 in less than an hour with the duplicate scenes. I know watching older shows, that wasn't the case.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Chippings said:

All righty then, just watched the couple from Charleston SC finding a place in Greenwich, south of the Thames in London - and it really reminded me that they have possibly 11 minutes of actual footage for these episodes, and the rest is re-running them over and over.   First a preview of the first house, then seeing the first house (Oh it's exactly what I wanted! / It really isn't my style..) - then before the second house, rerunning half of the visit to the first house --  ditto before the third, then a re-running again of the all the principal comments about all three places.  I swear we saw them walking into the first place at least four times.  Try just taking a little more film, people! 

Interesting too, in London, they talked a lot about the needs of the two large dogs (very bad idea, in London) - but none of the usual yada-yada about how far is it to the Tube to get to work ?  He evidently didn't care about that.  Very odd. 

Anyway my point today is, we're getting pretty tired of the re-hashing very few comments to fill up the half hour.  Seriously, HHI.  Think about that.

And I am getting to like Richard a lot, although I still miss Toby Brown, realtor extraordinaire. 

I agree. A lot of rehashing.

Just wanted to chime in that the husband seemed like a big jerk. His wife agreed to quit her job and move with the dogs to the other side of the earth, and he completely patronizes all of her wants in a home. He even said outright, "I made a career decision and didn't really think about anyone else." He wanted the hi-rise, even though the wife and dogs would be miserable.

--I'm hoping that most of his attitude was producer driven. But he still seems like a jerk. I did like the apartment they chose, however. 

And how did those poor dogs get to London? Did they have to spend hours flying in a dog carrier?  

• Love 5
On 2/28/2017 at 10:50 AM, topanga said:

I agree. A lot of rehashing.

Just wanted to chime in that the husband seemed like a big jerk. His wife agreed to quit her job and move with the dogs to the other side of the earth, and he completely patronizes all of her wants in a home. He even said outright, "I made a career decision and didn't really think about anyone else." He wanted the hi-rise, even though the wife and dogs would be miserable.

--I'm hoping that most of his attitude was producer driven. But he still seems like a jerk. I did like the apartment they chose, however. 

And how did those poor dogs get to London? Did they have to spend hours flying in a dog carrier?  

She wasn't a prize, either. During that first house tour, she didn't take into account anything that he wanted. I liked the cottage, but it seemed small for a married couple.

I found myself wondering how the heck did they get married - they both seemed selfish.

• Love 2

I would have loved the New Zealand episode except they were such bad actors.  99% of the dialogue was reading the stupid House Hunters script.

The kid in me wonders if the children could saddle and ride the sheep.  Am picturing dwarf cowboys that specialize in breaking wild sheep into rideable ones.  Yeehaw!

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, pep4 said:

The kid in me wonders if the children could saddle and ride the sheep.  Am picturing dwarf cowboys that specialize in breaking wild sheep into rideable ones.  Yeehaw!

Yes, they do. My grandmother's childhood best friend had a sheep farm in New Zealand so I also once and only one rode a sheep when we visited, I quickly decided horses were more my thing.

• Love 3

I liked the wife's comment about the "beige bungalow". At that moment, I was thinking about how, if you put her against those walls, she'd disappear, what with  her skin color, hair color, and clothing being kind of monotone.

Still not getting people who move across the world to get away from their hectic life. (Also trying to imagine hustle and bustle in Iowa.) Don't people have any control over the pace of their lives?

I believe the daughter's name was Frances, which is right up there with Edna and Gladys as far as old names that haven't made their way back again. 

Nice home they picked. I'm so relieved that the diva husband (she was referred to as the "breadwinner") had a place for his pinball machines (can't remember the other game). 

• Love 2

Mojito, the other game was Skeeball.

I always enjoy episodes from Australia and New Zealand, but this couple seemed to be one of the unhappiest matches ever.  They were very critical of each other which I find uncomfortable to watch.  How hard is it to be nice to each other for a day or so of filming?  There are ways to indicate personality differences w/o being rude or snarky in front of millions of people.  The husband seemed to be a bit looser than his wife, and he probably is a great stay at home dad for the children, for which she should be thankful.  

As for the houses, I liked the one they chose.  The front staircase was quite the entrance statement.  The setting looked like a wonderful place to live and the children will probably have great memories of living there.  Now I'm off to do some research on that part of New Zealand.  I'll admit, I've never seen any of the Lord of the Rings movies.  

• Love 3
11 hours ago, mojito said:

Still not getting people who move across the world to get away from their hectic life. (Also trying to imagine hustle and bustle in Iowa.) Don't people have any control over the pace of their lives?

Lol! I often think the same thing. Guess they don't have any place in the busy lives to drink their morning coffee at besides their kitchen table. "Fuck this shit, I'm pulling up stakes and moving to the other side of the planet so I have somewhere cool to drink my damn morning coffee!!!"

• Love 14

I honestly didn't think it was as easy as they make it. Sure if your company moves you, but you can't just up and move to some   places. I know my daughter is in the UK for school and it would be hard in  her field (teaching/English) to find a job and keep her visa. They want certain jobs that are hard to find in their area or expert in their field. It seems like some participants say, "they can write anywhere" but I know it's not that easy. I thought you had to be sponsored or in school or living with a relative, etc

Anyone with more information on how so many just leave when it's not a business transfer? Maybe they just gloss over that part?

I thought the Iowa to NZ couple was hilarious.  She was so deadpan about that boat and then later confessed that if that's what it took to get that particular house, he'd get the boat.  I liked the house they chose though.  Her line of work is admirable; providing palliative care can really take a toll so I can see why a change to a place that affords more family life for her might help.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, debraran said:

I honestly didn't think it was as easy as they make it. Sure if your company moves you, but you can't just up and move to some   places. I know my daughter is in the UK for school and it would be hard in  her field (teaching/English) to find a job and keep her visa. They want certain jobs that are hard to find in their area or expert in their field. It seems like some participants say, "they can write anywhere" but I know it's not that easy. I thought you had to be sponsored or in school or living with a relative, etc

Anyone with more information on how so many just leave when it's not a business transfer? Maybe they just gloss over that part?

As someone who's looked into moving overseas, unless it's a business transfer or you have $$$$ to invest in another country, like being a movie star or producer, you can't just up and move. It used to be that way back in the 1990s as my friend moved to England and thankfully found a job and a husband. Nowadays, the border control is a lot more restrictive. Even having a native spouse doesn't guarantee visa will be approved.

That's what I hate most about this show is that it gives people false hope about being able to wake up one day and move to Europe or Asia. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Tardislass said:

As someone who's looked into moving overseas, unless it's a business transfer or you have $$$$ to invest in another country, like being a movie star or producer, you can't just up and move. It used to be that way back in the 1990s as my friend moved to England and thankfully found a job and a husband. Nowadays, the border control is a lot more restrictive. Even having a native spouse doesn't guarantee visa will be approved.

That's what I hate most about this show is that it gives people false hope about being able to wake up one day and move to Europe or Asia. 

Visas have been a requirement in most countries for a very long time, that's nothing new. Usually when someone has a job offer, the employer will also take care of the visa paperwork, both for the employee and their spouse/children. And it's usually *much* easier to get a temporary work visa than it is get permanent residency, same as in the US.

On 3/1/2017 at 11:33 PM, mojito said:

Nice home they picked. I'm so relieved that the diva husband (she was referred to as the "breadwinner") had a place for his pinball machines (can't remember the other game). 

The NZ ep:  The husband and wife didn't seem to like each other very much.  She seemed very unhappy and he was totally selfish.  In her defense, I would be unhappy too if I was doctor dealing with dying patients all day while my husband was sitting at home obsessing about a space for his damn pinball machine.

She worked in Iowa City, IA which is not as fast paced as Los Angeles or NYC, but it's a busy city (by Iowa standards).  I'm sure her "hectic" life had a lot to do with stressors in her profession.  She wrote an article recently about the move to NZ and how she said, "Care is very hard if you are poor in America, it can be hard thing to deal with as a doctor.  I am looking forward to working with a system where people were treated equally."  

• Love 4

I found the couple moving to NZ so unpleasant after just a few minutes that I fast forwarded and watched the end.  Ugh - I couldn't decide who I disliked more - the woman who seemed (to me) hell-bent on beating her husband down - or him for allowing that.  I treat complete strangers nicer than they treat each other. 

• Love 1