Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Couple moving to Mexico to open a B&B:  In the opening, they joked that she thought he was much younger than she was.  He looked like a former surfer dude who met a well-off, older woman.  She reminded me of some kind of bird the way the eyes kept popping out of her head.  It was very distracting.  And standing up in that tiny bikini at the end.  My eyes!  My eyes!  I hope she doesn't go missing in the water one day.      

• Love 4
(edited)

Will there be one acre of Sweden safe from that woman's whining? Hilarious how the ringer home went from WTF is this? to cute! the minute she learned the house she was pissing on FROM THE OUTSIDE belonged to her husband's boyhood friend's mother. Because she couldn't have possibly known---show!?

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 1

I'm pretty sure last nights HHI was a rerun.  Damn I can't believe that the wife got her way "because she sacrificed her job and everything" to be with her husband in Dublin (insert eye roll here).  He was sure she was going to want to travel and wanted the apartment with the lower budget, right near his work.  But noooooo  she had to have the more expensive one because you know...a  view? Therefore he had to commute to work but hey she got room to do her scrapbooking (eye roll again).

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

I'm pretty sure last nights HHI was a rerun.  Damn I can't believe that the wife got her way "because she sacrificed her job and everything" to be with her husband in Dublin (insert eye roll here).  He was sure she was going to want to travel and wanted the apartment with the lower budget, right near his work.  But noooooo  she had to have the more expensive one because you know...a  view? Therefore he had to commute to work but hey she got room to do her scrapbooking (eye roll again).

She seemed absolutely miserable about the whole adventure.  (Well, at least until she got her own way.)  Did no one explain to her that Denver and Dublin are two very different places?

I was doing a massive eye roll as well, especially when they showed her doing her rudimentary scrapbooking at the end.  He seemed totally disinterested.  What the hell is she going to do all day?  You can't scrapbook 8 hours a day.  Or maybe she can.

• Love 5

The Florida couple that wanted a second home in Lake Cuomo Italy. When the realtor asked about going a little bit over budget, he replied "FORBIDDEN!"  Ok, calm down buddy! The place they picked looked gorgeous after the reno. Unfortunately, it looked like every other modern apartment in any city. 

(edited)

Therefore he had to commute to work but hey she got room to do her scrapbooking (eye roll again).

I don't think 20 minutes is much of a commute and since she can't work because of the kind of visa they have (which is way more believable to me than most of these shows where the tagalong spouse never seems to have trouble working) I don't have a problem at all with her getting the final say in which house they choose.  To me even if all she does is scrapbook and try to find American shows on TV it doesn't matter.  She's the one who's there all day not him!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

I don't think 20 minutes is much of a commute and since she can't work because of the kind of visa they have (which is way more believable to me than most of these shows where the tagalong spouse never seems to have trouble working) I don't have a problem at all with her getting the final say in which house they choose.  To me even if all she does is scrapbook and try to find American shows on TV it doesn't matter.  She's the one who's there all day not him!

As someone who commuted (by train and PATH) from NJ to NY every day for nearly 40 years, I'm mystified that people consider a 20 minute commute too long.  Mine was at least 90 minutes each way, not counting walking to the office once I got there.  I wouldn't want to drive for 90+ minutes for sure, but jeez...20 minutes whether driving, biking or taking a bus is no big deal.

• Love 9
(edited)
47 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

I don't think 20 minutes is much of a commute and since she can't work because of the kind of visa they have (which is way more believable to me than most of these shows where the tagalong spouse never seems to have trouble working)

That's one thing I always wonder about with this show.  I do realize now though, thanks to this forum, that a lot of the time the backstory they are giving about the participants isn't true, or not very true anyway!  When I lived in England, among the circle of people I was with who had all been sent over to the UK by my husband's company, I was the only spouse who was able to work there - none of the other women had visas that would allow them to work.  I'm sure if they knew they were going to be there for a long time that might have changed, but they'd have to have done something about it, it wasn't just a case of "oh my spouse has a job here so I can work here too".

Edited by Homily
  • Love 1

What, exactly is the Visa issue with spouses working?  Are non-working spouse visas only available in certain countries?  Particular occupations?  Dependent upon on the company the working spouse is employed by?

(edited)

What, exactly is the Visa issue with spouses working?  Are non-working spouse visas only available in certain countries?  Particular occupations?  Dependent upon on the company the working spouse is employed by?

If you're a citizen of another EU country, you don't have restrictions on working in Ireland; it's basically the same as if you were Irish.  But if you're a citizen of a non-EU country, you're limited on what jobs you can get -- you must have a work visa (sponsored by the employer), and you're probably going to have to establish there aren't enough EU workers available with your particular skills in order for the Labor department to approve it.  There are also visas available for the self-employed, if they can show exceptional skills that will benefit the economy, and prove they have enough funds to get started.  It's a protectionist economy, which, especially in times of higher unemployment rates, prioritizes EU citizens over Americans and other non-EU citizens.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

Enjoyed the Jamaica episode for the most part!  I knew they'd pick #2 as the first had no view, and the 3rd was too big.  So funny how they loved the amazing 180 degree ocean view, yet the "ongoing construction" in one little corner of the view was a sore spot!  And how the "traditional Jamaican house" had a huge 2-car front facing driveway.  Very traditional, I'm sure!  

I know it's all trumped up for the show, but I thought it was also funny how they thought the hideous curtains were a downside of the house they chose (umm, take them down?  Which they did end up doing.) and the outdated but still in good shape bathrooms.  Geez, you're getting a family house in Jamaica- you COULD survive with an outdated bathroom and not need to gut it, if you were forced to!!  

• Love 3

Also a few days ago enjoyed the San Juan, PR episode, since we have been there several times for vacation and I knew the areas they were looking at!  I agreed with their choice.  Near the cruise ship terminal may be fun for an afternoon but they'd quickly tire of it being insanely busy and crowded.

We kept laughing at the husband's trepidation about doing SO MUCH housework on his own, and WITHOUT a dishwasher!!  Like, it may take him ALL DAY to wash the 2 dishes they use for breakfast, by hand!  What kind of work is a house husband with no kids doing all day that is going to exhaust and overwhelm him?  2 small loads of laundry per week?  Scouting out fun bars?  Enjoying their beach view?  Try doing it alone all day in a new area with several kids, and then get back to me, buddy.  

• Love 3

Just caught the end of the rerun of the "adventurous" couple moving to Grand Cayman who end up buying a sailboat. (suuuuure...) When I first saw their realtor, I thought I had turned on Bravo by mistake and was watching Theresa Guidice on "The Real Housewives of America." 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Albino said:

As someone who commuted (by train and PATH) from NJ to NY every day for nearly 40 years, I'm mystified that people consider a 20 minute commute too long.  Mine was at least 90 minutes each way, not counting walking to the office once I got there.  I wouldn't want to drive for 90+ minutes for sure, but jeez...20 minutes whether driving, biking or taking a bus is no big deal.

LI to NY for many years, LIRR & subway, about 90 minutes door-to-door. I've also had commutes about an hour's drive time for other jobs I've had. My first 20-minute commute was like heaven. I didn't know what to do with all the extra time I had.

• Love 2

Watched the Perth to Tasmania episode and I thought they would probably take house #2.  The views from house 3 were fabulous, and they obviously thought so too because they rented it.  His accent was very thick and I thought he sounded Scottish.  Now I want to go visit Tasmania. 

• Love 2

Tonight's HHI featured a British couple with 2 young girls who were renting a place in Marrakesh. He was a teacher. At first I didn't think much of the husband, but he really grew on me and by the end I found him very attractive! LOL  Actually I found them both attractive, and the interiors of the places they looked at were stunning with all the decorative details. 

• Love 8

I liked the remark that the woman made at the end about not knowing what they did to deserve the great place they had found.  What a refreshing sentiment in contrast to the couples who feel entitled to massive McMansions filled with every convenience while in their 20's.  

• Love 13
On 7/9/2016 at 10:26 PM, laredhead said:

Watched the Perth to Tasmania episode and I thought they would probably take house #2.  The views from house 3 were fabulous, and they obviously thought so too because they rented it.  His accent was very thick and I thought he sounded Scottish.  Now I want to go visit Tasmania. 

Just when I was thinking HHI didn't show foreign nationals as much as American ex-pats, there was this episode. I totally want to visit Tasmania too. I would have taken house #3 too, just for those views. I got a kick out of them calling it "Tassie." 

On 6/23/2016 at 11:01 PM, Albino said:

Ugh...nervous mom is nervous.  Couple with 3 kids moving from Oregon to Penang, Malaysia. They feel Penang is very different from the Pacific Northwest!  Neither seemed especially psyched.

Husband finally convinced her to rent something that wasn't exactly like their home in Oregon.  

I was surprised that they took the first apartment. It was huge. I remember thinking when I saw it that it must be one of the decoy apartments and that they would end up taking the suburban house. Good for them. If I recall, the husband's job had him traveling to Malaysia several times a year for several years, so they offered to transfer him there. What an experience for the kids, provided they are able to explore the country. 

My observations on some other recent ones:

The American teacher in Vietnam. All of those apartments had some "unique" features. I think the one he did choose was the best, but the whole "roommate" insistence was odd, especially when it seemed pretty obvious that the "girlfriend" would be practically living with him.

The Utah couple moving to Mexico to open a bed and breakfast. I'm not up on the hospitality business, but wouldn't opening a bed and breakfast be more work than running a restaurant? I will say the renovations, when completed, made the place stunning. The third condo was definitely a plant, but it's like the producers weren't even trying. Seriously, what condo board would let you open a bed and breakfast in the complex? 

• Love 2
On 7/12/2016 at 2:17 AM, Kohola3 said:

I liked the remark that the woman made at the end about not knowing what they did to deserve the great place they had found.  What a refreshing sentiment in contrast to the couples who feel entitled to massive McMansions filled with every convenience while in their 20's.  

I had liked the couple prior to her making that statement, and liked them even more after it.  Refreshing indeed!  I loved seeing the houses there and wished they would show more.  I want to visit Marrakesh now

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 6:05 AM, Ohwell said:

Couple moving to Mexico to open a B&B:  In the opening, they joked that she thought he was much younger than she was.  He looked like a former surfer dude who met a well-off, older woman.  She reminded me of some kind of bird the way the eyes kept popping out of her head.  It was very distracting.  And standing up in that tiny bikini at the end.  My eyes!  My eyes!  I hope she doesn't go missing in the water one day.      

They both spoke so quickly, overacting.  Agree, between that and the popping eyes ... too much!  Made me wonder ... diet pills?

Given their shoe leather skin, I guessed they moved there about 2 years ago, bought the home and started the reno.  Bingo!  Here's agent Kim's blog posting from 10/3/14:

http://www.puertomorelosblog.com/2014/10/sold-amazing-home-in-heart-of-puerto.html   (See the link under the blog pics for add'l listing photos.) 

Too much B&B promo for me but Kim's blog about the viewing party mentions they're changing the name and don't have their website up, if anyone's interested.  Surprised about the website after the show (blech) they put on with those "guests".  Anyone else think that woman was related to the wife, lol?

How'd I miss the tiny bikini?  You're afraid she'll float away, Ohwell?

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:07 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Just when I was thinking HHI didn't show foreign nationals as much as American ex-pats, there was this episode. I totally want to visit Tasmania too. I would have taken house #3 too, just for those views. I got a kick out of them calling it "Tassie." 

The Utah couple moving to Mexico to open a bed and breakfast. I'm not up on the hospitality business, but wouldn't opening a bed and breakfast be more work than running a restaurant? I will say the renovations, when completed, made the place stunning. The third condo was definitely a plant, but it's like the producers weren't even trying. Seriously, what condo board would let you open a bed and breakfast in the complex? 

You're right - they don't work with many foreign nationals b/c HH doesn't air overseas.  It's produced for the U.S. market.

Yep, B&B's require tons of work - almost 24/7.  They've been over-glamorized, somehow.

Agree, I assumed the condo was the decoy for the wife's beach-front demand.  Everyone notice how they never indicated how a B&B could even operate in that complex.  (unless I missed it)

Very surprised they didn't even have their website ready given the 6 month HH editing period.  If they're in retirement mode, why operate a B&B?  $$$, possibly.

I'm sure they'll score some hefty traffic each time that episode airs! 

ETA - thought about the ridiculous condo proposition, too.  I can almost see it, if/when a complex has suffered numerous foreclosures and desperately needs a few dues-paying homeowners.  Normally, no!  They're not interested in a commercial operation running onsite together with numerous transients.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

The only way I would ever consider a B&B is if I had enough staff to deal with everything and I lived off site.   Aguabella, I agree that's a 24/7 job and not one I would consider attractive as a retirement occupation.  Yes, the 3rd condo was just something they tossed in to give it some exposure to possible new buyers. 

8 hours ago, aguabella said:

How'd I miss the tiny bikini?  You're afraid she'll float away, Ohwell?

No, my heart is much blacker than that. : )  

I was afraid that she would have an "accident" in the water and surfer dude husband would get the B&B and whatever else she has.

Hope the lady who bought the place in Roatan has a good dermatologist.  Her son sure changed his mind about getting a job and postponing going back to college.   It looked like there were lots of places close to the house where he could have found one.

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 10:26 PM, laredhead said:

He was definitely Scottish, but I'm not sure about her.  I thought they'd take house 2 for the middle ground between country and town, but I don't blame them for going with house 3.  Those views were amazing.

• Love 1
(edited)

Saw the Illinois to Broome, Australia, episode last night.  I wonder if she lasted a year in that very isolated town in northwestern Australia.  Why there?  There are lovely beaches surrounding Australia, but Broome is so far from anything.  If I lived in Australia, I'd want to be able to travel on weekends and see some of that beautiful country.  She's kind of trapped up there.

Edited by Diane M

I think it was pointed out after the first airing of the Broome Aus episode that she'd already been living there for quite some time and she's a realtor or rental agent in Broome.  She's still there.  

• Love 4

Thanks for the info seaELare. It struck me as odd that she wanted so large a place and had so much money to spend per month. Clearly, we weren't getting a complete picture and that's what sucks, that there are so many holes in the back story. What's wrong with the TRUTH, House Hunters? You can tell us how she got there, the risk she took, etc., and still take us on a house hunt. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, seaELare said:

I think it was pointed out after the first airing of the Broome Aus episode that she'd already been living there for quite some time and she's a realtor or rental agent in Broome.  She's still there.  

Really?  Wow.  She seemed completely flustered by actually buying a home.  Can't imagine her actually selling one.

• Love 1

I don't get why they try to manufacture story lines.  Most seem really fake, and the true story often just as if not more interesting.  I don't get it.  Just show me the houses anyway:  I could not care less about the 'story'.

• Love 10

I agree, couldn't care less about the story either.  And I don't know why the subterfuge is necessary.  Just show us three houses in the area that are vacant so we can get a feel for different cities and call it done!

And can't they please come up with something new - shoppers look meaningfully at each other and say that they "have a difficult decision to make".  Cut to commercial.  Come back, eliminate one, then happily, magically agree on one of the remaining two.  Boring.

• Love 4

Yes, I love the dramatic break to the commercial.  The suspense is just killing me.  lol  And the house we chose is nothing like what we said we wanted but it's now perfect for our family.

I forget which episode in Mexico I was watching, but the houses all had such gorgeous tiling in the kitchens and bathrooms.  Really beautiful.  Show us stuff like that!

Saw a rerun last night -- maybe someone can fill me in.  It was a family of 6 from Australia, mom fell in love with Paris and wanted to buy there.  I was very confused -- thought she was looking for a place for all SIX of them.  All the places were too small!  She finally settled over budget for a place that had a little loft where the 4 kids could sleep.   At the end, it appeared she was in France and the family only visited???   Does anyone know the back story on this?

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Saw a rerun last night -- maybe someone can fill me in.  It was a family of 6 from Australia, mom fell in love with Paris and wanted to buy there.  I was very confused -- thought she was looking for a place for all SIX of them.  All the places were too small!  She finally settled over budget for a place that had a little loft where the 4 kids could sleep.   At the end, it appeared she was in France and the family only visited???   Does anyone know the back story on this?

I was confused about that, too.  I thought in the beginning that they were looking for a place for all of the family, but then later on it did seem like mom was looking only for herself, with daughter helping her.  Then at the end it shows mom jogging alone.  So I guess the daughter went back home?  The whole thing was very confusing.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I was confused about that, too.  I thought in the beginning that they were looking for a place for all of the family, but then later on it did seem like mom was looking only for herself, with daughter helping her.  Then at the end it shows mom jogging alone.  So I guess the daughter went back home?  The whole thing was very confusing.

I agree.  Plus...if you want a getaway or vacation home, flying from Australia to Paris isn't exactly a hop, skip and a jump.

I was also amazed at how cheap homes were in Paris.  Any of those shown would be well over a million in NYC or San Francisco.

• Love 1

I had to laugh at the HH  in South America (sadly cannot remember where..I blame binge watching) who had a $600 per month budget and a long wish list, naturally:  the realtor told them they would need to compromise as their budget wasn't sufficient for their wants.  She shows them a house for $850/month I believe and the woman states, well at $850 it better blow me away!.  I hear similar from other house hunters in all the varieties of the show, and I can understand IF their budget was realistic to the area in which they are hunting, but when the budget is low for the area, I find it completely obnoxious.  research and get an idea of what you are likely to find with your budget.  But then I remember, the statement is most likely producer driven...

• Love 2

OMG - Torino woman was such an entitled princess!  She's lived there for a few years - she ought to know what the apartments are like.  Of course hubby with his "don't over budget but whadda ya mean I can't get three bedrooms in center city for nothing" annoyed me to.  Beautiful city, though.  (I'd have chosen the two-level place myself but then again, I'd only need one bedroom so the downstairs bedroom would've become the living room.)

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/19/2016 at 6:42 AM, Thumper said:

This was so strange, especially the end.  I didn't get it either.  All I could think was with the $575k (plus $$$ spent on furniture) she and her family could have traveled to LOTS of different places all over the world together.  I am all for a vacation home, but the distance between home and Paris was too great for this to be practical at all, unless they rent it out when she/they aren't there.  ETA  that realtor lady bugged the crap out of me!  lol

Edited by AlleC17
  • Love 2

I made up my own story about the Australia to Paris family.  In my story, the daughter will be going to school in Paris, and the apartment is for her, with the family coming to visit (but probably not all at once).  Maybe when the other kids get older, they'd want to spend summers there, too. 

The San Francisco to Barcelona couple. That artwork she was going to sell. Was I the only one who thought it was ugly? States outlined in metal pins and yarn strings crisscrossing? Is there a market for that?

• Love 3
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The San Francisco to Barcelona couple. That artwork she was going to sell. Was I the only one who thought it was ugly?

No, I thought it looked pretty amateurish, like a string art kit from the 60s. And even if anyone wanted an yarn outlined state, who would want to pay shipping from Spain to the US? I knew they wouldn't take the second apartment with the balcony because it was obviously currently occupied, but when she complained about the bedroom with no natural light I wanted to scream at the TV, "Use the DARK room for sleeping and the brighter one for your tacky crafts!" Imagine my surprise when they did exactly that, but with the first apartment, the one without Tony's coveted balcony (which I was ready to push him off by the end!) 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 7

I think Australia to Paris mom was having a midlife crisis.  She mentioned a couple of times that she never left Melbourne until she was 40+. And the time she left,  they went to Paris.  She also mentioned something along the lines of "missing out".  So in my story,  I think her husband told her to go out and experience the life she thinks she missed out on,  and when she's fulfilled,  she can return home to Australia/her family. 

• Love 5

I love Barcelona and was amazed at one can get for $1K a month there.  Would someone explain to me the difference between opening the windows and immediately complaining about the noise vs. having a terrace, hearing just as much noise, and loving it?

• Love 5

I see no difference Christine!!  That couple annoyed the crap out of me.  Him with his freaking balcony and saying it 100 x and her with her natural light and refusing to do her stupid artwork in another room.

I was shocked when she used the master because it was lighter in the first apartment and didn't think to do that in the balcony one.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Pickles said:

The San Francisco to Barcelona couple. That artwork she was going to sell. Was I the only one who thought it was ugly? States outlined in metal pins and yarn strings crisscrossing? Is there a market for that?

Honestly, when I looked at it, I didn't know what that crap was supposed to be.  I didn't even know it was supposed to be states.

• Love 3

I think that the Australians buying in Paris are likely buying that apartment as an investment. They'll airbnb it for the most part, use it for occasional vacations, perhaps consider retiring there when the time comes, or selling for a profit.

The family moving to South America so hubby could work with at-risk youth, which apparently involved a lot of their spending time in his home . . . I know this is unfair of me, but it seems like every time I turn around here some youth pastor sort is being arrested for child molestation. I guess it's a good thing that I'm a childless atheist so I'll never face the dilemma of whether to allow my child to have unsupervised visits with the youth pastor in his home.

I did like that they all seemed to speak Spanish and weren't traumatized by the idea of children sharing a bedroom. And I also liked that the realtor pointed out the benefits of not having an "open concept" kitchen ("we don't like our entire house to smell like fried food").

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Her etsy store has lamer things than the pieces she showed on the show. 

Oooh, link please! I couldn't narrow down the sellers on Etsy, although I did see a rectangular one that was supposedly Colorado, or was it Wyoming...I wonder if she's also outlining European countries, there might be less competition.