Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, enchantingmonkey said:

On another site, the writer of the article claims that Louise Sorel said she wouldn't be returning to the show, which was the fuel to the speculation that Robin Strasser would be a recast Vivian.  And, something about an exit story for Stefan.  

I wonder why Louise would say that.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, rcc said:

I wonder why Louise would say that.

Many of the actors have talked about the hectic pace of filming the show, and the writing barely rises about mediocrity on most days.  So if she didn't need the money, I could see why she'd say she wouldn't come back.  But I wasn't watching when Vivian last "died", so I don't know if Sorel actually said that in an exit interview, or the writer of the article was relaying false information.  

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Did Sorel say that she wouldn't be returning to the show as in she refuses to ever return, or did she mean it as "My stint is up, the writers don't have any plans to bring me back at this time"?

She wasn't happy with her last stint on the show so much so that it was brought to an end earlier then it was supposed to have ended.

• Useful 1

See, unless I misread I'd understood that she didn't like how her day stint ended...not the stint itself. My understanding was that Ron abruptly ended her tenure and that's what soured her.

Who knows. Honestly, Louise was my favorite thing about 2018 in Salem. If I were her, I'd want more to do than spend 90% of my time propping a dull retconned son.

But then, John spent the last few years doing that too.

Let Strasser be Eve's mom.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, nilyank said:

I really doubt that this version of Johnny is coming back as he is about 13 and there would be no one his age in Salem. I don't think that site is that reliable.

He posted a photo of himself standing outside the studio holding what looks like a script.

And somebody in his Twitter feed said that SOD has confirmed it. I don't have a copy of SOD handy to verify it.

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, Jaded said:

There's a show called Henry Danger for kids around his age that films there too. It's probably that show or Days. I hope RC doesn't want to turn Johnny DiMera into Days version of Spencer Cassadine.

OMG, that would be horrific!

• Love 2

It would be nice to see some kids having active roles in the plot again, but we already "have" Parker, Holly and Arianna....and they're never seen or used anymore. Is Ron going to out more effort into Sami's kids?

....and after the Theo/Ciara/Chase SORAS, shouldn't Johnny be 17?

11 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Was Spencer Cassadine a demon child?  Because the article makes it sound like he's going to be a mini-Stefano.  And, they've already laid the ground work for that with Rafe going off to Europe to help the troubled Johnny.  

He wasn't a demon child, just an over-indulged, spoiled, attention-demanding little brat who quickly exhausted  any goodwill I had towards the character.  It's been so many years now since I've watched GH, maybe the character is different.

Show was really blessed, IMO, with how Lauren Boles played the young Ciara.  She so easily could have been just an annoyance but the combination of writing and Lauren's portrayal kept her too-smart-for-her-own-good persona one I always enjoyed.  It would be great if Show got that lucky again. 

Edited by boes
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, boes said:

He wasn't a demon child, just an over-indulged, spoiled, attention-demanding little brat who quickly exhausted  any goodwill I had towards the character.  It's been so many years now since I've watched GH, maybe the character is different.

Show was really blessed, IMO, with how Lauren Boles played the young Ciara.  She so easily could have been just an annoyance but the combination of writing and Lauren's portrayal kept her too-smart-for-her-own-good persona one I always enjoyed.  It would be great if Show got that lucky again. 

They should have let Ciara age naturally.  Lauren was such a great and engaging actress even as a very young child. She was really good at a tender age during the Ciara kidnapping story. Plus, the show had a built in Sami replacement for the future since the show is obsessed with the Sami type characters.  So, getting rid of Lauren and remaking Ciara into a traditional soap heroine has left me confused..

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

They should have let Ciara age naturally.  Lauren was such a great and engaging actress even as a very young child. She was really good at a tender age during the Ciara kidnapping story. Plus, the show had a built in Sami replacement for the future since the show is obsessed with the Sami type characters.  So, getting rid of Lauren and remaking Ciara into a traditional soap heroine has left me confused..

Yes big mistake to lose Lauren. This Ciara isn't too bad but the last one was a huge casting mistake. She was no actress. 

• Love 2
On 2/13/2019 at 6:22 PM, DisneyBoy said:

I won't be so hard on the last one.....I get the sense she had no coaching along the way. But she *could* cry.

The problem was the original Ciara was so well-written and well-performed.

They did her absolutely no favors in almost immediately raping her. They waited awhile with Ali's Sami before having her get raped. I also thought that was a massive waste of Chase, who could have been a good character.

I maintain the only reason why that whole SORAS happened is because the JJ/Paige teen scene bombed so spectacularly and they thought they could recreate the magic of the Last Blast Chance crew with new characters. Only again, the rape was a horrible decision on so many levels. Then they SORASED Ciara again up to 18 because they were going to have her have an affair with Chad, but then that got abruptly dropped.

What's sad is that the original teen actress posted a Days audition where she was trying to scam someone a hundred bucks for a new dress and I loved that it but that's not where they went with the character at all. They did go back to that a little bit with the recast.

It reminds me a little of the All My Children reboot, which knocked the ball out the park in terms of casting a girl that looked like she could be Eden Reigel's daughter, but then made her a sadsack getting bullied over vicious lesbian rumors and forlornly playing the guitar over her crush AJ, who did seem gay as the day was long.

I hope RC doesn't want to turn Johnny DiMera into Days version of Spencer Cassadine.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they're doing if they're using awkward pre-teen Spencer and not a 25-year old model "16-year old" Johnny. But it's weird because there just aren't any characters that age on the canvas.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

The only thing of any interest whatsoever on the show, for me, is the return of Nicole in two months time. Between now and then... there is just nothing for me to bother with.

I loved Nicole for decades....from the time she worked at the outdoor Salem Place Cafe and met the Real Eric Brady.  Yet I am kinda tired of the *damsel in distress* routine she has been in for the past few years. Yawn.  Been there, done that.  Ping-pong-ing from Brady to Eric to Xander.  Yawn.  She's slept with every available Salem Male, including Brady's grandfather and Eric's father.  Yawn. 

I am still secretly hoping that AZ is back, but appearing as a new character.  She would make a great Dr Noel Curtis. She would have a career, a backbone, no bratty toddler to lug around, a new backstory, and could easily slide into a new dynamic.  So far, no one in Salem has remarked that Rex now looks like Brady Black used to look.  Keep Nicole Walker dead and launch Noel Curtis.

As far as I know, the show has not confirmed that "Nicole Walker" is returning....Just that AZ has been taping for months.  

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 2

Frankly, if AZ is back, I don't want her as a new character. That little fad the show has going is ridiculous. There are other actors out there, LOTS of soap actors without jobs. Hire one of them. But this hiring actors that had other roles on the show bit has gone waaaaay overboard, IMO.

That all being said, I wish AZ would either stay or go, but the flip flopping is tedious.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Frankly, if AZ is back, I don't want her as a new character. That little fad the show has going is ridiculous. There are other actors out there, LOTS of soap actors without jobs. Hire one of them. But this hiring actors that had other roles on the show bit has gone waaaaay overboard, IMO.

That all being said, I wish AZ would either stay or go, but the flip flopping is tedious.

Well said, enough with using actors known for one role in another - though I'm loving having Kyle Lowder back.  But for me, his Brady stint was long enough ago that I'm not bothered by it.  

I like AZ, I enjoy Nicole, but either stick around or stay a memory.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Can I be honest?

The only thing of any interest whatsoever on the show, for me, is the return of Nicole in two months time. Between now and then... there is just nothing for me to bother with.

For me, I think if a show is that frustrating for you just give up.  And I know you've been frustrated with DAYS for a long time. Don't look for things to try and hold your interest.  If Nicole's return is what will keep you happy just come back for when she's back. I mean this with all due respect because I know that's how it was for me with GH.  It got to the point I was watching out of habit and when I realized it was causing me more aggravation than enjoyment I took it off my DVR and I got my sanity back (and I turned it on last month and realized I made the right choice because it was STILL annoying me a year later lol). Many things annoy me about DAYS but the most part I'm enjoying it so I'm ok with fast forwarding with what I have no interest in.

8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Seriously! And she hasnt even been gone that long. It's getting super annoying. Like m I going to get invested with her being back only to decide she' bored again? As long as the show allows her to come and go as she pleases I'm afraid that's how it will always be.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

So Ted has a secret.  As in, he's still married?  Show needs to bring on new blood, it would be great if he had a wife and teenaged kids show up.

No, damn it! It's not ideal, but if Teddy Boy is what frees Hope from Rafe?

No secret family! (Can you tell I REALLY want the suckiness of Hope shackled to Rafe to end, already?!)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

So Ted has a secret.  As in, he's still married?  Show needs to bring on new blood, it would be great if he had a wife and teenaged kids show up.

I have a feeling that Ted is Leo's real father, not John.  Remember how odd Diana acted when she heard that Ted Laurent was in town?  

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, howmanywords said:

For me, I think if a show is that frustrating for you just give up.  And I know you've been frustrated with DAYS for a long time. Don't look for things to try and hold your interest.  If Nicole's return is what will keep you happy just come back for when she's back. I mean this with all due respect because I know that's how it was for me with GH.  It got to the point I was watching out of habit and when I realized it was causing me more aggravation than enjoyment I took it off my DVR and I got my sanity back (and I turned it on last month and realized I made the right choice because it was STILL annoying me a year later lol). Many things annoy me about DAYS but the most part I'm enjoying it so I'm ok with fast forwarding with what I have no interest in.

I appreciate your understanding. I really haven't been watching because there just hasn't been time to watch, but then when I tuned in briefly or read the comments here on the boards or watched the promos, I ended up shaking my head and rolling my eyes. So much squandered potential. So many missed opportunities. So much rehashing. And so much character assassination.

Honestly, the most enjoyable thing about watching this show has consistently been you guys in this wonderful  community here. Laughing and poking fun at the show and noticing the small things that make it worthwhile have really enriched the viewing experience.

I don't see myself tuning back in until Nicole is around, if only because I want to see Eric and Nicole happy and together. Which of course means they're going to drag it out even further, LOL. Or worse - they'll get them back together and then they'll instantly become as boring as Sonny and Will.

I really like the medium of soaps, and I miss the days when the writing was up to snuff... When characters were people with well-rounded Lives who you could fall in love with. Ron has definitely improved the series, but I feel like I have to constantly be on guard with him leading the charge.

All this to say, I'm glad to be taking a step back rather than tuning in out of obligation. I did that for a few years with Smallville, and then learned my lesson and took a big step back. I only watched a couple of episodes in the final season and having distance from that train wreck made it much more bearable.

DAYS had a really good story going when Marlena was in the hospital last fall. Maybe in the spring things will start to look better again.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 5

When I factor in Calivati's Rinse-N-Repeat Tabloid Headline-style of writing, I don't mind characters like Nicole coming and going.  His stories rarely lead to fascinating long-term repercussions, so it's not like anyone needs to stick around for an extended period of time.  I feel like the sporadic pop-ins are as good as it's going to get when it comes to making the show feel fresh.   

• Love 3
4 hours ago, boes said:

I have a feeling that Ted is Leo's real father, not John.  Remember how odd Diana acted when she heard that Ted Laurent was in town?  

That does make sense, now that you point it out! I’m struggling to recall how Ted and Leo met, but if Ted felt a connection to him, it may also explain why he helped Leo with the blackmailing of Sonny and Will. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, boes said:

I suggested the same thing a few pages back. I hope we're right because it makes for a lot more drama.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, MsTree said:

I suggested the same thing a few pages back. I hope we're right because it makes for a lot more drama.

Sorry, I didn't see your post!  I hope you're right.

18 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Honestly, the most enjoyable thing about watching this show has consistently been you guys in this wonderful  community here. Laughing and poking fun at the show and noticing the small things that make it worthwhile have really enriched the viewing experience.

@DisneyBoy I hope you stick around here! This forum has given me so many laughs I've often found it more entertaining than the show itself 😊

• Love 5

Well, Original (and only, IMO!) Eve, Charlotte Ross, was only 4 years younger than her mother, Gabrielle Pascal, played by Karen Moncrieff (who later went on to Santa Barbara as Cassandra Benedict Lockridge).

Ross was born in January '68.

Moncrieff was born in December '63.

Soap parents and kids and their ages are hilarious.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I had thought Ted and Leo might be brothers.  Heck Ted is probably Johns  son too   

@DisneyBoy I get what you are saying about taking a break from the show  I am on one right now  just can’t get into this Ben story.  then someone posted in a different group that it would be hot for him to kill Claire.  It was disgusting to me.   I just needed to step away from that   

I find it harder to quit the bord then the show.  

• Love 5

I watched about five minutes today at the start of the show and I couldn't get into any of it. Not the debate, not Chloe comforting Stefan, not Haley channeling Paige and giving JJ crap....

And it wasn't even a Ben day!

I won't stop coming here and chatting with you fine folks, though, howmanywords.

10 minutes ago, tribeca said:

DisneyBoy I get what you are saying about taking a break from the show  I am on one right now  just can’t get into this Ben story.  then someone posted in a different group that it would be hot for him to kill Claire.  

Eugh....wow. Someone actually suggested that?! That's vile. I'm so glad I only post here about DOOL because it seems the fans are nuts elsewhere...

• Love 6
8 hours ago, tribeca said:

just can’t get into this Ben story.  then someone posted in a different group that it would be hot for him to kill Claire.  It was disgusting to me.   I just needed to step away from that   

I like Ben, always have actually. And I like Cin. And for the most part, I'm enjoying their storyline. Though I'm not impressed with this new Claire twist. But for anyone to think "it would be hot" for Ben to kill Claire is just beyond disgusting and sick. 

8 hours ago, tribeca said:

That's how I feel about The View. I haven't watched since August, but still can't quit The View forum, 

Back to Days, I'm enjoying the Jack/Eve/Jennifer/JJ/Haley/Melinda storyline.  I know J&J fans probably want them back together now, but then there'd be no story, and they'd either be boring or off screen. This way we get to see all the characters on a regular basis, knowing (hopefully) that the J&J reunion will eventually happen.  But Eve, to me, is not Shane's daughter Eve. She's just a random character named Eve who is trying to keep J&J apart.

I'm not so much, though, enjoying Diana/John/Leo/Will/Sonny, etc.  

And it's hard to even care at all about Stefan/Chloe, since a) we know current Stefan will be gone soon, and b) nu-Stefan and Chloe are both being written out of the show. So nothing that happens between them really matters.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, buffynut said:

And it's hard to even care at all about Stefan/Chloe, since a) we know current Stefan will be gone soon, and b) nu-Stefan and Chloe are both being written out of the show. So nothing that happens between them really matters.  

The 6 months ahead taping schedule is really killing the show.

When is BB showing up as Stefan?

• Love 8
13 hours ago, tribeca said:

I had thought Ted and Leo might be brothers.  Heck Ted is probably Johns  son too   

@DisneyBoy I get what you are saying about taking a break from the show  I am on one right now  just can’t get into this Ben story.  then someone posted in a different group that it would be hot for him to kill Claire.  It was disgusting to me.   I just needed to step away from that   

There are some in the Cin fandom who like the fact that Ben is a serial killer and they find that psychopathy to be appealing. 

• Love 2

I agree with all of you who can't buy this person as the Eve, as Shane's daughter. I don't know if it is a problem I have with the actress (nothing personal) or how she is being written, but it feels wrong to me. But, that's just me and to me, the only Kate was Deborah Adair! I don't remember the character of Diana Colville, but from what I have read, the way this version of her is being portrayed is also a complete character assassination. Add that to what happened to Hope, and now nitwit Claire, and I just don't know how long the show can last. And since they film so far in advance, they might as well wrap it up and be done. I am sorry for the people who will be out of a job, but the slow killing of the show by killing the characters seems more painful than just pulling the plug.

• Love 3

That makes me nervous. Hopefully it's a new character.

In theory, I don't mind the idea of Ron hiring veterans soap actors to appear on DAYS, it's just that we haven't had much luck with those actors lately. Deimos, Leo, Stefan, Eve and now Diana are pretty much all a bust (with the writing being mostly to blame).

For me to enjoy Strasser, she can't be trying to be a new version of someone with a long history. I hope she gets a blank slate to work from, and decent writing.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

That is very disturbing.  WTF is wrong with people?

I ask myself that every day about a host of things, Kitty. I got nothing. 

Robin Strasser! She was terrific as Dorian, but I have no clue who she'll be here in Salem. Better not a Vivian recast as suggested in the Spoilers thread, unless Louise Sorel declined to come back for the final nail in her character's coffin. 

• Love 5