Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

(edited)

It's weird, there's so much dead weight on the show now, with characters we are currently being saddled with, that also have no long term pairings. Strong pairings are the only way you can survive on a soap opera. First off, Brady needs to go. EM has never had any chemistry with any of his ladies and at this point any relationship he's in is a joke. He can easily go reoccurring. Rafe is another, none of his pairings have taken off and he's made Hope a shadow of her past self and turned her own fans again her. KDP is another imo, she's not Eve and really has no story outside of Brady and just being there. Hope/KA can go too, she's nothing without Bo and PR is not coming back, nor would fans accept a recast. Look what happened the last time. Jennifer should also be written off with Jack, give them their HEA finally. It's only a matter of time until they fire MA again, and apparently it's rumoured he's only a short term stint, so its a perfect time. 

Also, the characters of Eli and Lani need to go. They have no real or deep history on the canvas, they are simply retconned in. No chemistry with the characters in their age group and both are SO dull. I don't care about them at all. 

We need a major shake-up but the current losses are just pathetic since they have very little impact on the canvas with all these energy suckers still around. 

Edited by betweenthelines
  • Love 4
(edited)
46 minutes ago, betweenthelines said:

It's weird, there's so much dead weight on the show now, with characters we are currently being saddled with, that also have no long term pairings. Strong pairings are the only way you can survive on a soap opera. First off, Brady needs to go. EM has never had any chemistry with any of his ladies and at this point any relationship he's in is a joke. He can easily go reoccurring. Rafe is another, none of his pairings have taken off and he's made Hope a shadow of her past self and turned her own fans again her. KDP is another imo, she's not Eve and really has no story outside of Brady and just being there. Hope/KA can go too, she's nothing without Bo and PR is not coming back, nor would fans accept a recast. Look what happened the last time. Jennifer should also be written off with Jack, give them their HEA finally. It's only a matter of time until they fire MA again, and apparently it's rumoured he's only a short term stint, so its a perfect time. 

Also, the characters of Eli and Lani need to go. They have no real or deep history on the canvas, they are simply retconned in. No chemistry with the characters in their age group and both are SO dull. I don't care about them at all. 

We need a major shake-up but the current losses are just pathetic since they have very little impact on the canvas with all these energy suckers still around. 

I agree with your post, except for Eli.  He should have a story that is about him, as a character. David needs to come back and reconnect with him. I would also like to know his stepfather. Perhaps, he comes back wanting another shot with Valerie. Valerie should not be stuck with Abe. Abe has always been strangely asexual, to me. I never saw any sparks with Lexie. Lexie had chemistry with everybody, but, Abe. Lexie even had inappropriate chemistry with EJ..lol I wish that the show had done more with the Lexie/Sami rivalry...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1

EM doesn't know how to carry a story that doesn't include women fighting over him. Going back to Passions the women fighting over him were usually better acting wise then him too. There have been a few exceptions like JL's Theresa. It seems like his version of Brady on Days has either been drunk, high or stuck in a love triangle and has been isolated to the Kiriakis side of the family for too long. I wouldn't mind if the character was rested for a bit or left for awhile. 

It was stupid to cast KDP as Eve. I'm drawing a blank on who else she could have played besides a new character because I'm thinking too hard about it. 

I hate that Galen was ever brought onto the show in the first place. He has that smirk on his face all the time that looks prime for punching 24/7. He was one of many Passions hair model actors that sucked at acting and doesn't seem to have done anything to try to improve. Those months Rafe was in a coma a few years ago were so enjoyable that I still think about them.

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Hope/KA can go too, she's nothing without Bo and PR is not coming back, nor would fans accept a recast.

Except a recast was already accepted once. I think, if a real actor had the role of Bo, a recast could be accepted again.

• Love 4

KDP is the only Eve I've known so I can't compare but she is a very good actress. Brady is written badly and EM isn't a strong actor but at least he is better than GG who really needs to go.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, betweenthelines said:

Most characters are new at some point and both have at least one parent with strong history regarding the show. It also doesn't help that the show is obvious about wanting to put the two young Black folks together while also not writing for them and not caring they lack chemistry cause their skintones are similar. They work better with other romantic partners, for sure. What they also offer is some diversity in a genre determined to still not really write for Black folks. So I disagree with jettisoning more Black people from daytime but obviously mileage varies.

I think the only genuine whale sized dead-weight in Salem remains Rafe because as much as the show writes for him and centers stories around him, he still can't carry anything more than a smugly flat disposition and just about ruins every woman he is romantically paired with. Stefan/Chad/Abby and Brady would be next in line for me because they also get writing catered to them and still can't bring much to the show. I guess for me, I see deadweight as getting writing and still not bringing much of anything interesting or intriguing to the screen. If you're barely written for and/or not getting a lot of screentime *waves to Lucas and a few other characters* it's hard for me to count that as dead-weight cause it's not where you're getting material & failing it cause the show basically sees you as little more than a set decoration plant. 

I won't miss BD, though, largely cause Lucas has been filler for a decade. Nothing against the actor but Lucas hasn't been viable to the show in a long while. He's Will's father and Will is one of the younger characters who is the future of the show, but Days seems to care more about Will's romantic relationships and his relationships with his mother & grandmothers more than his relationship with his father. 

• Love 4

I still remember those first scenes of Lucas and Sami at that concert, all those (25?) years ago.  So even though death is is rarely final in Salem, I do hope they aren't killing Lucas off. 

• Love 8
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

I won't miss BD, though, largely cause Lucas has been filler for a decade. Nothing against the actor but Lucas hasn't been viable to the show in a long while. He's Will's father and Will is one of the younger characters who is the future of the show, but Days seems to care more about Will's romantic relationships and his relationships with his mother & grandmothers more than his relationship with his father. 

I think that the show has written, Lucas, as an appendage to both Kate and Sami. He is not allowed to be his own man and drive stories. Plus, I feel that Lucas is not a traditional soap man and the incompetent writers do not know how to write for him.  Lucas is a grey character. He is not like Rafe who is supposed to be a good guy, we the audience know that he is a smug asshole, but, I digress. He is not like EJ who was a villain, when he first came on the show.  Lucas has a long history on the show and it is a shame that the writers could not give him a good story.  The same thing has happened to Jack. He is a complex character who is beloved. Yet, he is also an appendage to Jennifer. Frankly, I felt that Jack made me pay attention to Jennifer, back in the day..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Plus, I feel that Lucas is not a traditional soap man and the incompetent writers do not know how to write for him. 

Wasn't the rumor back in the day that Corday didn't see Lucas as a leading man and that was part of why he started to disappearing from the canvas or always being the cuckold in his romances?

Also, I think Lucas stopped being a grey character a long time ago. Back in his 90s scheming days when he was trying to get Carrie to himself or going against Sami for custody of Will, there were definitely grey elements to him but it's been years since Lucas was grey, IMO. They made Lucas  a good guy for lack of doing anything else with him. He was no longer a schemer nor was he as smug as Rafe although he did have a terrible habit of shrieking in anger and yelling in Sami's face these last several years but I don't think Days has seen Lucas as much of anything for a while, That's the problem and IMO a large part of why BD wasn't getting much story this past decade. I still think BD owns some of that too for not advocating more loudly for a long time for a romantic partner for Lucas who wasn't Sami, especially when it was obvious that the show had moved on from Sami & Lucas being together.

How long is Mansi back as "Abi*?" I hope not long. I'll have to avoid her return to Days as I do her Lifetime movies. I know some prefer her Abi* over Miller's Abby but I am not one of them.

• Love 4
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

Wasn't the rumor back in the day that Corday didn't see Lucas as a leading man and that was part of why he started to disappearing from the canvas or always being the cuckold in his romances?

Also, I think Lucas stopped being a grey character a long time ago. Back in his 90s scheming days when he was trying to get Carrie to himself or going against Sami for custody of Will, there were definitely grey elements to him but it's been years since Lucas was grey, IMO. They made Lucas  a good guy for lack of doing anything else with him. He was no longer a schemer nor was he as smug as Rafe although he did have a terrible habit of shrieking in anger and yelling in Sami's face these last several years but I don't think Days has seen Lucas as much of anything for a while, That's the problem and IMO a large part of why BD wasn't getting much story this past decade. I still think BD owns some of that too for not advocating more loudly for a long time for a romantic partner for Lucas who wasn't Sami, especially when it was obvious that the show had moved on from Sami & Lucas being together.

How long is Mansi back as "Abi*?" I hope not long. I'll have to avoid her return to Days as I do her Lifetime movies. I know some prefer her Abi* over Miller's Abby but I am not one of them.

Bryan did  speak up and he was very outspoken for Lucas getting more story and presence. Plus, he was very threatened by James who played EJ.  He said some not so nice things about him. 

They did strip him of his greyness, since they did not know how to write for Lucas. Just like they made Jack into a buffoon, a comic relief character and he was much more than that.

Bryan did advocate for a new love interest. He went as far as suggesting a romance between Lucas and Gabi and the fans told him NO, that would be inappropriate on so many levels. He claimed that he was just joking, but, I think he meant it...

Bryan has never had any illusions of making it big in Hollywood. He loves the show and this is the type of employee that NBC should have kept, in my opinion.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Bryan did  speak up and he was very outspoken for Lucas getting more story and presence. Plus, he was very threatened by James who played EJ.  He said some not so nice things about him. 

I agree that in the last few years BD has been more outspoken on moving Lucas beyond Sami & getting a new love interest but for a long time he didn't or when he did speak up, was advocating for the return of a relationship TPTB weren't interested in writing for anymore. I think the damage was done, plus Days plans out who they're going to pair when folks are hired nowadays and I think BD was already out of the running for Lucas getting a genuine love interest and was relegated to play the foil for other couples the show is interested in writing. I had thought Days was heading towards pairing Chloe & Lucas again, which was terrible the first time around IMO and more about Daniel & Chloe anyhow, but I guess she's now going to paired with whoever KL is playing. 

If BD felt threatened by JS's arrival on to the show outside of it being confirmation that TPTB didn't see Lucas as a leading man then that's on TPTB for moving on with other actors they consider leading men (JS, GG, even EM as a hunkier Brady than KL, since they're all in the same age group) that left BD feeling insecure.  Like I think it sucks for BD that Lucas got relegated years ago to the warm up bench but I'm not seeing poor victim here either since BD likely had opportunities to move beyond Days for acting gigs when he's not been on contract. I mean, Days has mostly wasted GV as Eric but he's out there getting side acting gigs. Obviously mileage varies. 

• Love 5
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

I agree that in the last few years BD has been more outspoken on moving Lucas beyond Sami & getting a new love interest but for a long time he didn't or when he did speak up, was advocating for the return of a relationship TPTB weren't interested in writing for anymore. I think the damage was done, plus Days plans out who they're going to pair when folks are hired nowadays and I think BD was already out of the running for Lucas getting a genuine love interest and was relegated to play the foil for other couples the show is interested in writing. I had thought Days was heading towards pairing Chloe & Lucas again, which was terrible the first time around IMO and more about Daniel & Chloe anyhow, but I guess she's now going to paired with whoever KL is playing. 

If BD felt threatened by JS's arrival on to the show outside of it being confirmation that TPTB didn't see Lucas as a leading man then that's on TPTB for moving on with other actors they consider leading men (JS, GG, even EM as a hunkier Brady than KL, since they're all in the same age group) that left BD feeling insecure.  Like I think it sucks for BD that Lucas got relegated years ago to the warm up bench but I'm not seeing poor victim here either since BD likely had opportunities to move beyond Days for acting gigs when he's not been on contract. I mean, Days has mostly wasted GV as Eric but he's out there getting side acting gigs. Obviously mileage varies. 

Lucas could have been more than he was. Like you said, the show was never interested, in making him, a lead man. He has it, in my opinion.. The show could have brought in Allie as a foil to Ciara.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5

Because good actors who are patient and loyal are never rewarded on this show?

... I just realized I don't think we'll ever see Kayla and Steve's house again. That was such a beautiful set and it was only used for that stomach-turning Ava crap.

• Love 11
(edited)

I feel bad for the Kristen recast. I wonder if they'll let Stacy go once her next thirteen week cycle comes, since with this news breaking I don't see a recast being accepted at all. There's going to be a lot of negativity waiting for her once she airs I suspect. I truly feel bad for Stacy, but Kristen and all her other DAYS roles belong to ED. I think DAYS would actually be better for her anyways since she can come in for a brief arc, much like Allison does and then leave. Ron seems to like these short character arcs so I can't see him not taking advantage of this. It just sucks that she missed being there for the most important role for Kristen.

• Love 3
(edited)

Maybe she has an ill family member to care for?

Sure I'd love to think she quit to free herself up for Days, but I doubt she'd lie to Y&R, where she's been employed for years. Maybe she'll be semi-retired for a while...

Edit: 

So Stacy is in and announced...just as Eileen is available?!

Ron....bring her back.

...oh and freaking Sal/Lani has resigned. *hating all this* 

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

Maybe she has an ill family member to care for?

Sure I'd love to think she quit to free herself up for Days, but I doubt she'd lie to Y&R, where she's been employed for years. Maybe she'll be semi-retired for a while...

She left because Sony doesn't offer raises for their soap veterans. It's the same reason MM left YR a week ago. Also, Eileen is probably making more with the Real Housewives, than YR or DAYS could ever pay her. She also wants to spend time with her family. The thing is, a short stint on DAYS would definitely be up her alley. It's similar to Allison who quit to spend more time with her family and do other projects, but joins for a short arc. If anything, I think Kristen would be best served in small doses, much like how they played Stefano. 

I can see Ron capitalizing on this. The recast won't be accepted and I feel bad for Stacy but this is going to be a mess and it probably won't be in her favour, lol. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Eileen isn't on RHOBH anymore full-time and only appeared in one episode this past season. Her quitting Y&R may give her an incentive to return to RHOBH though if she needs the regular paycheck.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

re-signed.  I had to look it up, I thought you meant she had quit.  :)

Not lucky enough. I don't see why they don't recast. She is just not a good actress.

• Love 5
(edited)

Seriously - how many skilled black actresses are there in LA dying for a break? Sal's had three years. I've never read much praise for her. Even the writers seem bored with her.

I'm personally insulted they've given away Eileen's entire catalogue of Days characters to someone else. It just feels personal somehow. I love her characters and respect her work on the show. Now it's like it's all been taken away arbitrarily. :(

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 6

According to rumor, the Imposter has already finished her stint as Fristen, which was always intended to be short term, and more is being prepped as bait for ED to return now that she's free.

(Yes, I'm calling them the Imposter and Fristen).

1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

According to rumor, the Imposter has already finished her stint as Fristen, which was always intended to be short term, and more is being prepped as bait for ED to return now that she's free.

I read something unsubstantiated yesterday that said that she is still taping.

2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Recasting Kristen is a mistake. I feel bad for the actress, people are going to trash her left and right.  The actress is a good actress. Ron should have brought in somebody else to wreak havoc.

• Love 2

I find it’s fascinating when I read Facebook comments & I realized why some of them are guilible enough to buy pills.

Someone called Jen Lilley as the second worst actress on this soap. I’m dying to know who beat her for the greatest honor? It better be KDP ?

Did you know that the actors don’t have real tears? ???

To this FB fan, It’s called acting for a reason... to **** with your emotional intelligence ?

Soap Opera Digest fans entertained me over the years.

Go take your Xanax & wipe your tears with Bounty paper towel! 

*Walgreens ad* 

Me? 

I didn’t throw any paper towels to the crowd! 

If you know the last part then you’re in the Ivy League of Soap Opera No BS ?

We always get BS so we have to call it out & enjoy watching them sweat like hell... right? ?

Theresa, 

Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this sun of Salem;

So call the field to rest: and let's away,
To part the glories of this happy day.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DeafAngelboy23 said:

I find it’s fascinating when I read Facebook comments & I realized why some of them are guilible enough to buy pills.

Someone called Jen Lilley as the second worst actress on this soap. I’m dying to know who beat her for the greatest honor? It better be KDP ?

Did you know that the actors don’t have real tears? ???

To this FB fan, It’s called acting for a reason... to **** with your emotional intelligence ?

Soap Opera Digest fans entertained me over the years.

Go take your Xanax & wipe your tears with Bounty paper towel! 

*Walgreens ad* 

Me? 

I didn’t throw any paper towels to the crowd! 

If you know the last part then you’re in the Ivy League of Soap Opera No BS ?

We always get BS so we have to call it out & enjoy watching them sweat like hell... right? ?

Theresa, 

Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this sun of Salem;

So call the field to rest: and let's away,
To part the glories of this happy day.

Uh, what?

• Love 10

From Michael Fairman's site -----

That There Are Still Years Of Steve And Kayla’s Story Left To Be Told. I Hope We Get To Tell That Story.”

June 29, 2018

Days of our Lives favorite Stephen Nichols (Steve “Patch” Johnson) broke his silence on Thursday addressing his departure from the NBC daytime drama series in a touching post on his Instagram account.

Nichols expressed: “For me, Days of Our Lives is home and I want to be there … I love the people, I love Steven Earl Johnson and I love what Mary Beth and I have been able to create together. I was excited to see what this new team would bring for us and for all of Salem. I’ve been in this business long enough to understand the rotation of stories, and I get that we can’t always be at the forefront. And despite my disappointment in the lack of story this past year, I’ve always worked hard and we’ve always tried to find the moments in whatever we’ve been given. I think we did that. Whenever I see a scene or montage you guys post, I am so touched and I remember just how much story we told for so many years and how rich it was. I’m so grateful for that. And I know that there are still years of Steve and Kayla’s story left to be told. I hope we get to tell that story. Your unwavering support tells me you hope that too. Thank you and much love, Stephen”

According to the latest issue of Soap Opera Digest on newsstands now, Nichols opted to leave the series when both sides could not agree on a new deal.  Look for Nichols to last air sometime in the fall.

• Love 7

TPTB reward bad actors and demoralize fine veteran actors that we love to watch. This show sucks along with Y&R.

I watch out of some crazy habit but if I do miss an episode I don't give a damn anymore.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

SoapHub says Stacey Heyduk will play Susan

When I first saw this, my mind immediately went to Susan Martin...and thought, but why not get Denise Alexander.  Wishful thinking passed and I realized you meant Susan Banks. Bummer.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 27/06/2018 at 2:46 PM, rcc said:

Not lucky enough. I don't see why they don't recast. She is just not a good actress.

Sorry to double post, but I also feel the need to mention that someone needs to teach Saleisha that the -ing suffix is not pronounced -ink. 

Edited by carrier76
20 hours ago, carrier76 said:

Sorry to double post, but I also feel the need to mention that someone needs to teach Saleisha that the -ing suffix is not pronounced -ink. 

This reminds me of when Saleisha was on ANTM a bit over a decade ago and did her Cover Girl commercial, pronouncing "thing" as "think."

• Love 2
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Who is Saleisha?

Sal who plays Lani. Her real name is Saleisha.  She was on America's next top model and Tyra Banks rigged that season for her to win the title.  She was reviled by the fans of the show because she was not a model compared to the ladies there, who were high fashion models. Ebony, Victoria, Mila, Heather, Kimberly, Lisa and Jenna were awesome models and Sal was not.. Ebony was my favorite that season, tall, beautiful, thin, flawless, chocolate skin and an awesome walk, sigh! 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5