Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E06: Let The Good Times Roll

• Start Topic

The teams are sort of blending together into a big "Meh" for me, though I can't stand Cole. He's the most Justin of them all, I think. Love the comments about how Scott and Sheri should ditch their kids -- but it's interesting that Scott was the one that helped Sheri. Takes one enabler of an entitled child to know another one, I guess.

I neither love nor hate Brody and Kurt, but Brody was cracking me up with his "That's right, boy!" and "There you go, son!" when they're probably the same age. When I see dudebros address each other, it seems like it's generally "bro," "brah," and "dude." Oh, those wacky ultimate frisbee players!

• Love 1
(edited)

Just finished watching the episode. I was pleased to see some shifting of team placements this time. I've missed the last few seasons—have they still had U-turns? If so, that would be my biggest fear at this point, if I were Tyler or Korey. Teams aren't going to forget that they're strong racers just because they had one bad leg. A U-turn on the next leg could be the perfect opportunity to get them out.

I really liked that hunt for the clue in the theater, though I could see why it didn't occur to so many teams to ask the cleaner—we didn't get to see/hear the wording of the clue, but Phil's explanation of the task did say that they'd have to "search" for it. I'm happy to be corrected on this, but I seem to recall that in the past, when someone's meant to give teams a clue, the teams are generally told this. So if the clue they had also said "search", I can see why it take a while for it to click that they needed to talk to someone. However, once Blair was at the point of asking the performers, there's really no excuse for not asking the guy with the vacuum.

I felt bad for Sheri—I don't have tons of upper body strength and probably would have struggled to get the gas cap off as well. I like to think I would have tried turning the tool the other way, but once frustration and panic start to set in, it's hard to think clearly and do what, in retrospect, seems like the obvious thing. Sheri and especially Cole did not seem very excited when they were handed their clue to keep racing. My sense is that they're both over the race and would rather go home. It's a shame; I think I'd rather those two be out and have Erin and Joslyn (who seemed like they were genuine fans of the race) still in.

Edited because apparently it's "Sheri" not "Sherri".

Edited by Hera
  • Love 1

I had to force my sister-in-law to go back and watch the first episode to believe that Cole is not fourteen or younger and is actually in college.  But she definitely agrees with me how immature in an affected way he is.  He really seems a special snowflake.

I am definitely getting a Christmas Story Ralphie vibe from Tyler in that hat.

The noise level was again horrible even taking into consideration a rousing local bunch at a couple of the venues.   And I thought as a whole it was a rather flat episode.  I did laugh when Phil tried to make it sound like climbing up the Cascade was a huge deal.  Yes it is a long way to go up steps.  But steps.  Steps, Phil.  Steps.

I know part of it is from simply not finding any of these people worth cheering for.  Heck I'm having a hard time finding anyone worth watching for considering how one episode in the whole bunch has had any interest of locale and challenges.  But so many little things are bugging me when I hoped the hiatus from the show would help ease my contempt.  Instead I find the what was probably at least halfway self-deprecating "why don't you, you are the pretty one" too petulant as well and made me want the rest of the women on the stage to smack her.  I also was a bit gobsmacked at how many times they asked the guy 'cleaning' for a clue and others had to be in hearing and seeing range and never figured it out until much later.  I get the pressures of the race but the guy stuck out like a sore thumb from the second that segment started. 

And put some fucking pants on Cole.  You aren't at the local Kiwanis summer festival.  I don't know why that bugs me so much.  If they were somewhere warm i could see it but I have an irrational peeve for people who wear warm weather clothes in cold weather.  It looked like he could barely keep his legs moving when they left the pitstop in France. 

• Love 1

The teams are sort of blending together into a big "Meh" for me, though I can't stand Cole. He's the most Justin of them all, I think. Love the comments about how Scott and Sheri should ditch their kids -- but it's interesting that Scott was the one that helped Sheri. Takes one enabler of an entitled child to know another one, I guess.

I neither love nor hate Brody and Kurt, but Brody was cracking me up with his "That's right, boy!" and "There you go, son!" when they're probably the same age. When I see dudebros address each other, it seems like it's generally "bro," "brah," and "dude." Oh, those wacky ultimate frisbee players!

Brody must watch Duck Dynasty. 

• Love 1

As for the guy cleaning who had the clues and other racers being nearby when someone got a clue from him...I thought maybe they could not hear much with music playing and also maybe they thought you find something in the theater somewhere and then turn it in to that guy for a clue.

• Love 3

OMG!  Fighting breaks out between Armenia and Azerbaijan over Nagorno-Karabakh enclave.  There's been an uneasy cease-fire for 22 years.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35949991

Yet again, TAR brings disaster to a region.  (I kid, I kid).

I didn't mind Tyler until last night.  Something about the way he said "I" when talking about making friendship bracelets was so screechy and precious it set me on edge.  Dude, you are not as adorable as you think you are.

The locals were great on this episode.  They really seemed to be enjoying the experience. 

The camera work is driving me crazy this season.  It is much more choppy.  I think that is meant to invoke action.  It makes it more difficult to follow what is happening and to keep track of the teams.  Settle down, amazing editors.  We need more than a flash to figure out who these people are. 

Dr. Muffyn and I play a game of who would do which task if we were competing.  We both called "not it!" for changing the oil.  I don't see it as being that hard but it does take hand strength which I lack and a willingness to get greasy which he lacks.  I felt for Sherry because she got trapped in a meltdown. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Boring, boring, when the same team continues to dominate.  I hope there is a Justin-Diana shock lost at the end.

Scott was a class act!

Edited by ifoundit

At the theatre, I figured that once one team realized it was the vacuum-cleaner person, all of them would descend on him like seagulls on a baguette.   Of course, we had The Amazing Camera-angle to tell us he should be the focus of attention! 

I'm glad the social-media aspect of this season has not dominated the storylines -- now it is feeling just like a regular, non-gimmicky, TAR season.  I hope I am not eating my words soon. 

That said, is there a thread with information like the various Twitter accounts? 

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't stand Cole. He's the most Justin of them all, I think. Love the comments about how Scott and Sheri should ditch their kids -- but it's interesting that Scott was the one that helped Sheri.

I agree about Cole.  He has this permanent, stupid Fish-Gape expression on his face, and looks like someone should smack him upside the head.

I think part of Sheri's problem is that the chain-wrench for the filter only works one way.  If you lean on the handle and it's tightening, you don't just lena lean on it the other way to slacken, because that causes the chain to disengage.  You have to take the wrench off, flip it over and put it back on, to turn the filter in the opposite direction.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 4

Although I loved the episode for the location and scenery this is officially my least favorite season since the g-d awful Family Edition because most of these so-called "personalities" seem to have none.

• Love 8

Was Sherri the only one who needed to use the tool to remove the filter?  Poor thing.  (And who lets their mother change oil?   Meanwhile, Daddy continues to rock the challenges while his Pwecious Angel stands on the sidelines and fixes her hair and makeup.)

Loved the lavash lady -- she was awesome!

• Love 5
I did laugh when Phil tried to make it sound like climbing up the Cascade was a huge deal.  Yes it is a long way to go up steps.  But steps.  Steps, Phil.  Steps

You know what I kept hoping? I kept hoping that after every team apparently walked back down the steps to read the clue, they would have found out that the next task took place back up at the top.

• Love 9

You know what I kept hoping? I kept hoping that after every team apparently walked back down the steps to read the clue, they would have found out that the next task took place back up at the top.

That reminds me.  Wasn't there a rule that the teams had to stay together?  and get and read the clues as a team?   Because I saw Cole's mom grab the clue and yell to him, "I got it Cole!"  It struck me as unusual at the time, but I deleted the show so I can't check.   But I was trying to figure out why she was calling to him.   Shouldn't he be right there with her?

• Love 2

I was thinking exactly this when watching the show. The editing is jumpy and the camera work is amateurish. It's like they fired all their experienced camera people and editors and are using new ones who learned it by watching YouTube videos.

Because it's in the middle of nowhere in the shadow of Mt Ararat?

Word. That was an amazing place made even more so because I didn't think you'd see a temple like that outside of Italy or Greece.

Armenia was basically the Northeastern border of the Roman Empire for a while, switching around from an independent state to a part of the Empire to an ally, depending on the complications of the times.  It was an important buffer against invaders and a pretty well populated area for a long time.  They were also a link in the trade routes out of Asia Minor for the Greeks and Romans.

I only know them because they were the only team to do the tent option in France, rather than climb every mountain™ and set off an avalanche.

They've struck me as a pretty competent couple, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the final.  Definitely more so than the two parent-child teams and the dancers.  I've probably jynxed them now.

• Love 4

I worked in a legal office for many years that specialized in medical malpractice.  I encountered several MD, JDs working as attorneys.  It is beneficial in medical malpractice cases and they also consult as well. I don't recall ever meeting an MD JD that worked as a physician.

It's not uncommon for doctors who want to get involved in hospital administration to either get an MBA or a law degree.  It's definitely a crazy extra load of work, but on the other hand people who get MDs are often very good at absorbing information and then taking exams on it.  Studying and passing the bar is supposed to be a lot like studying and passing the medical boards.  Neither is all that connected to being a good practitioner -- they're both supposed to be mostly about memorizing huge amounts of information and then writing it all down in the proper format according to standard lines of reasoning. 

• Love 4
I'm glad the social-media aspect of this season has not dominated the storylines -- now it is feeling just like a regular, non-gimmicky, TAR season.  I hope I am not eating my words soon. 

I agree -- maybe it's because the annoucement of the gimmick lowered my expectations so much, when they actually got into the race, it didn't seem so overwhelming.  It seems to have faded even faster than the stupid love connection gimmick, when it quickly became obvious that the racers just weren't going to play along. 

I could have easily seen a bunch of really bad social media tasks on this show -- require teams to find an internet cafe in Geneva, read tweets in all four official languages of Switzerland, and then write a 500 word blog post about them, that kind of garbage.  I hope it's not just looming ahead.

• Love 2

I did laugh when Phil tried to make it sound like climbing up the Cascade was a huge deal.  Yes it is a long way to go up steps.  But steps.  Steps, Phil.  Steps

OMG, I would have been permanently disabled at step 250 and dead at step 300!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  AT HER AGE

Her son was nowhere in the shot so he stayed back and rested while mom did the work.

Sheesch

• Love 5

I agree that it's not feeling super-gimmicky like the eHarmony season did last year, but what I'm taking away from it is that these social-media people? Aren't That Interesting.

• Love 5

I was expecting Tyler to complain that after he helped Scott, Scott turned around and helped Sheri.  I get why Scott did that, but if I were Tyler I'd have been ticked.

And  WORD to the person above who thought the task should have taken place at the top after the racers had gone to the bottom.  I was  totally thinking the same.

• Love 5
(edited)

I wondered about that because they put the graphic up that showed forward was tightening and back was loosening, and then when Scott told Sheri where to stand, it seemed that the top of the filter was facing the right side of the car, which would mean that the "righty tighty, lefty loosey" rule was reversed. In any case, I felt bad for her because even if she were trying to unscrew it in the correct direction, I know from doing a lot of minor plumbing things around my house, that sometimes trying to uninstall things takes more physical strength than I have (so I might have to use a wrench even when the instructions specifically say "don't use a wrench"), and I'm not particularly weak; I'd say I'm about average strength for a woman. If whoever installed that filter used a lot of brute force to tighten it, I can see where she might have trouble taking it off. The guys, on the other hand, didn't seem to have much trouble; I don't think Burnie even used a tool to do it because he told Sheri he thought there was a tool she could use, but his filter was already off at that point.

Another contributing factor may have been small hands. I'm fairly mechanical and have done my share of vehicle and home maintenance, and sometimes my wee paws just don't have the span to grip an item for leverage (this is how I developed my refined technique of whaling on stuff with mallets and hammers). I figured there must have been strap or chain wrenches around, but a racer unfamiliar with righty tighty/lefty loosey may not recognize the tools.

Loved the invisible vacuuming clueholder hiding in plain sight, lavash lady, Ladas in action and the Armenian dogs joining the race. Oh, and Temple of Garni, wow, you are gorgeous.

Edited by piewarmer
  • Love 4
I figured that once one team realized it was the vacuum-cleaner person, all of them would descend on him like seagulls on a baguette.

Thank you, jjj. That image is delightful, (And delightfully apt, what with the teams swooping down from higher rows and sections of the house, and the shape of the canister vacuum on the ground.) I nominate your allegorical seagulls-on-a-baguette to join the menagerie of Amazing Animals.

• Love 1
(edited)

Cole sucks. Is there anything that he isn't afraid of? I feel like he's not an equal partner on this race, he's momma's little 10 year old boy in a grown man's body. His hysterical crying on the Alps walk. And now he makes his mom change oil? Clearly she was not very mechanically inclined, and if he thought he would be worse, well then, that says a lot about what he brings to the table.

Then he kept going on about how great she did. Um, yeah. Arrived in second. Left in last. And if Scott hadn't helped her, she might still be there. I'm confused about Scott helping. I guess he felt sorry for her, but I could have sworn that he was strategising with Tyler and saying that Tyler's only chance was if Scott finished quickly while Sheri was still there so Scott could get his taxi off and Tyler could move his on. He had Tyler help him fill oil.

We didn't hear much from them this ep, but my favourite team is still the dancers. They were quietly competent, and for once Dana didn't constantly chirp at Matt.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 4
(edited)
I was expecting Tyler to complain that after he helped Scott, Scott turned around and helped Sheri.  I get why Scott did that, but if I were Tyler I'd have been ticked.

I was initially thinking the same thing, but based on some quick shots it seems like Scott may have helped her when it was clear Tyler was moving fast and she wasn't going to finish before him despite the help (in the final shots of her working on the car, it's clear she's the only one still there). Maybe as Scott & daughter were getting ready to leave he decided the kind thing to do would be to give her that little push so they could at least finish the leg? Of course, it all could have been smart strategy to help a weaker team finish before a stronger team and hope it's an elimination leg - but that "smart strategy" seem to be central to how Scott is racing. I dunno. 

Edited by hendersonrocks
  • Love 1

BTW....I think the oil change might well be a part of Armenian (modern) culture.  The ramp looked permanent to me.  Maybe it's useful to have it there because quite a few vehicles climbing the mountain need all the assistance they can get....lol.

I thought the same thing.  It looks like there aren't a lot of gas stations or even rest stops/hotels along the mountain road and I bet those cars got stopped a lot so it was easier to just have that station there.

I didn't mind Scott helping....yes, its a race, but I don't know if I could have left someone crying as much as Sheri was.  Then again, I'm not going to be on TAR so....

It is an impressive feat, but I couldn't help but wonder why anyone would go to law school and med school.  Both of those take years and tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars.  Was he one of those perpetual students, who keep getting new degrees so that they don't have to graduate and get a real job?  Did he decide to a lawyer and realize he hates it and then decided to be a doctor instead?  

I think Kurt is the one who celebrates every victory by jumping as high as he can

When Scott went to law school and medical school it was much, much, much cheaper.  Its very impressive that he did both, and it makes sense for someone who is going to do medical malpractice work.  In fact I think many of the top medical malpractice attorneys are JD/MDs.  It sounds like he settled on being an OB-GYN but he may have started doing something different.

I think one of the better known JD/MDs is Dan Broderick....killed by Betty Broderick.  One estimate had him bringing in about 140k/month....so it can be pretty lucrative.

• Love 1

I felt for Sheri because even if you know righty tighty lefty loosey, it can be confusing on something you can approach from several sides. I once spent several months with a bathroom faucet half clogged because I could not get the aerator off. I thought it was just too tight and used every wrench known to man. Turns out what I thought was right was actually left, and I know my right from left. But right at the top is left at the bottom.

I also thought Cole had problems comforting her because he wanted to tell her to turn it the other way but couldn't because it was a roadblock.

• Love 2

I guess I'm confused as to why nobody else had issues. I didn't see if we saw a good look at the instructions for that step. She wasn't seen asking anyone for help. Was that not allowed? Even if the backgammon players didn't speak Englidh, she could have tried miming the issue.

I also didn't notice anyone else using that tool with the chain. They just reached in and took the filter right out. Or why didn't she watch one of the other teams? She could have stood behind Scott and watched what he was doing.

I don't understand why more teams don't pay attention to what other teams are doing. The only explanation must be that they are collectively stupider than the average TAR contestant. Those stupid blue prancing models were left at the bench butt count task while several others noticed Brodie giving away the answer. This time, teams suddenly get the clue in the performance hall and disappear and yet nobody looks around to see where they were. Matt says "it was in the janitor's coat pocket" and nobody heard him?

Matt and Dana read the clue to go to Freedom Square and immediately get into a cab, while the rest of the idiots are all confused about what "go to Freedom Square" means and then wonder where Matt and Dana went?

Many of these people are too stupid to be on this race.

• Love 4

I've been assuming that part of the problem with Sheri's oil filter was that she began by turning it the wrong way and tightened it too much. I wish we'd seen all the instructions to know if they showed a picture with the tool.

• Love 2

Even better: Brodie's two years younger than Kurt.

• Love 1

I pretty much knew it would be an NEL. It would be rather unfair to eliminate a team that got stuck behind an incompetent team on a bottleneck challenge like the oil changes. The way it turned out it would have been fair, but in most cases it wouldn't be.

Sort of bad scheduling having an NEL after a 2 week basketball break. A month between eliminations makes the race drag a bit.

I think they are helping each other, in part, because they know each other outside of the race. I just read an interview with the last team eliminated (the purple team) and they mentioned that they've known Blair for years. I'm not sure how I feel about that. 

I was surprised to hear Blair compare her social media career to her dad's education, but then I read that she is the new ambassador for John Frieda. She seems to be doing pretty well.

Perhaps I'm just old school, but I don't think I would have let my mother do an oil change, and I don't see why young, able-bodied Cole had his mother doing an oil change task.  I realize that Blair is a screechy princess so she wasn't about to do an oil change, but come on Cole, you're a young man, and you're sending your mom to do an oil change task?  I'm glad they weren't eliminated because she really did give it her all, but that just sort of bothered me.

Maybe they're saving Cole for some roadblocks might be beyond Sherri physically?  They've split the roadblocks pretty evenly so far, so that's what I'm assuming.  It's not like the oil change was physically demanding.

Can't be bothered to tell Brodie & Kurt apart. Their attitude isn't wearing on me yet. I could see them burning out within the next few legs, but they're not total assholes, Justin. Do you have to be that aggressive while playing Frisbee?

Ultimate Frisbee is a very intense, physical sport.  Lots of running, being aggressive is necessary to play any sort of decent defense.

Scott and Blair treated Sherri better than her own kid. Blair comforting her and giving her some encouragement to go back out there, then Scott

showing her what she was doing wrong. 

To be fair to Cole he couldn't help Sheri during the task.  But he still sucks.

Was Sherri the only one who needed to use the tool to remove the filter?  Poor thing.  (And who lets their mother change oil?   Meanwhile, Daddy continues to rock the challenges while his Pwecious Angel stands on the sidelines and fixes her hair and makeup.)

Actually Blair has done 3 roadblocks, just like Cole.  Color me surprised to see that.

• Love 1

OMG, I would have been permanently disabled at step 250 and dead at step 300!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, when I saw those steps, I thought "Better them than me.".  It's been a long time since I climbed the many, many, many steps from the old harbor at Fira on Santori (Wikipedia has a picture of that climb) and I was in better shape at the time.  The Cascade would've probably given me a heart attack, or at the very least made my knees give out.  Hey, there's a reason I've never tried to get on AR.

• Love 3

Perhaps I'm just old school, but I don't think I would have let my mother do an oil change, and I don't see why young, able-bodied Cole had his mother doing an oil change task.  I realize that Blair is a screechy princess so she wasn't about to do an oil change, but come on Cole, you're a young man, and you're sending your mom to do an oil change task?  I'm glad they weren't eliminated because she really did give it her all, but that just sort of bothered me.  

This is not meant to be directed solely at you, as several people have expressed this viewpoint, but I'm just wondering: do we know for sure that Cole even drives? I seem to recall that having a valid driver's licence is required to be on the show, but you could get one basically for that purpose without really ever driving in your normal life. And if you don't drive (which is becoming more common — I don't, for example), then changing oil is not exactly something you're likely to be super familiar with, so it may have seemed to make more sense for her to do it.

That said, I'm not really arguing with the basic premise that Cole seems more or less useless most of the time.

I really liked that hunt for the clue in the theater, though I could see why it didn't occur to so many teams to ask the cleaner—we didn't get to see/hear the wording of the clue, but Phil's explanation of the task did say that they'd have to "search" for it. I'm happy to be corrected on this, but I seem to recall that in the past, when someone's meant to give teams a clue, the teams are generally told this. So if the clue they had also said "search", I can see why it take a while for it to click that they needed to talk to someone. However, once Blair was at the point of asking the performers, there's really no excuse for not asking the guy with the vacuum.

This sums up my thoughts pretty much exactly. I can understand not zeroing in on him immediately, but once you do start asking people, how is he not one of the people you ask?

Brodie and Kurt are... actually kind of growing on me. Possibly in part because of their association with the most awesome task mentor ever. I love that woman and want her to be my personal cheerleader. But yeah, I really wish that Brodie would stop shrieking all the time, but aside from that? They seem like decent sorts.

Honestly, pretty much everyone does (except Dana, who was mercifully not in much of this episode), which I'm kind of enjoying. I wouldn't say that these people have no personalities just because nobody's really fighting with anyone else. I don't even mind all the helping (although I won't be hugely sympathetic if helping someone else leads to someone getting turfed). I actually find it a nice change from actively rooting against several teams.

I guess I'm confused as to why nobody else had issues. I didn't see if we saw a good look at the instructions for that step. She wasn't seen asking anyone for help. Was that not allowed? Even if the backgammon players didn't speak Englidh, she could have tried miming the issue.

I also didn't notice anyone else using that tool with the chain. They just reached in and took the filter right out. Or why didn't she watch one of the other teams? She could have stood behind Scott and watched what he was doing.

I was also wondering why we didn't see anyone else use that tool and why was it not listed on the instructions?? They instructions clearly showed how to unplug the oil drain.  I can't imagine there are a ton of people that know how to remove an oil filter without any direction.

and she kind of did try to ask for help.  She asked a few guys if they were able to get theirs off and they said yes and they all knew she was asking for help.  I'm glad someone finally did help her.  they are usually always last so why would you NOT help them if they might kick off a better team!?!?

Yeah, when I saw those steps, I thought "Better them than me.".  It's been a long time since I climbed the many, many, many steps from the old harbor at Fira on Santori (Wikipedia has a picture of that climb) and I was in better shape at the time.  The Cascade would've probably given me a heart attack, or at the very least made my knees give out.  Hey, there's a reason I've never tried to get on AR.

I did the Diamond Head hike in Hawaii a couple of years ago and that's about 225 steps not including the trail up that is just a path but omg it was BRUTAL and I can't imagine actually having to do it at a fast pace.  It was SO worth it but it's something you definitely have to take your time. 

Trying to race up that many steps?? no freaking way. I would die.

• Love 1

Maybe they're saving Cole for some roadblocks might be beyond Sherri physically?  They've split the roadblocks pretty evenly so far, so that's what I'm assuming.  It's not like the oil change was physically demanding.

....like having to use a pulley at the top of Mount Blanc when you have a fear of heights?  Oh wait.....

....like having to use a pulley at the top of Mount Blanc when you have a fear of heights?  Oh wait.....

Well, they were both afraid of heights, so I assume that was a matter of who was more afraid.  My best friend and I would still be there arguing about which one of us was dying trying to get that clue, lol.

Well, they were both afraid of heights, so I assume that was a matter of who was more afraid.  My best friend and I would still be there arguing about which one of us was dying trying to get that clue, lol.

And so, mommy should have to do it instead of big boy Cole?  If it was between me and either of my parents, I would do it first.

• Love 1

And so, mommy should have to do it instead of big boy Cole?  If it was between me and either of my parents, I would do it first.

If it were between one of my parents and me, I would do it because I am younger and possibly stronger. But if it were between my son (if he were old enough) and me, I would do it because I am his mom, and I would rather take the risk than send him to do it.

Changing the oil may have been a better task for Cole. There's no way to know how well he would have done since he didn't do it. But I find the idea that a son should be embarrassed at letting his mother do it to be a little sexist. I am not saying anyone here is sexist (after all, I don't actually know you), but why wouldn't a mom know how to change the oil or be able to do it? This particular mom wasn't very good at it, but in the abstract, there is no reason a woman cannot change the oil as well as or better than a man, even if the man is her son. And there really wasn't a lot of reason to think it would require a lot of strength, which it may not have if she hadn't tightened it so much. And I don't think Sheri is so dainty that she won't get dirty.

It makes me think of the way Phil used to ask the male racers if they were proud of their female partners, but never did the other way around. I found that a little obnoxious, too.

• Love 10

If it were between one of my parents and me, I would do it because I am younger and possibly stronger. But if it were between my son (if he were old enough) and me, I would do it because I am his mom, and I would rather take the risk than send him to do it.

Changing the oil may have been a better task for Cole. There's no way to know how well he would have done since he didn't do it. But I find the idea that a son should be embarrassed at letting his mother do it to be a little sexist. I am not saying anyone here is sexist (after all, I don't actually know you), but why wouldn't a mom know how to change the oil or be able to do it? This particular mom wasn't very good at it, but in the abstract, there is no reason a woman cannot change the oil as well as or better than a man, even if the man is her son. And there really wasn't a lot of reason to think it would require a lot of strength, which it may not have if she hadn't tightened it so much. And I don't think Sheri is so dainty that she won't get dirty.

It makes me think of the way Phil used to ask the male racers if they were proud of their female partners, but never did the other way around. I found that a little obnoxious, too.

It probably does come off a little sexist and old fashioned.  But I would say that a) I would do that task ahead of both of my parents because its a dirty and unpleasant task and I wouldn't want my parents to have to do something like that, b) just because women know how to do oil changes it doesn't mean that a young man shouldn't know how to do it and isn't more adept at doing it than his mommy and c) I'm presuming that they live in the south where there is still some adherence to traditional gender roles.  I would be shocked if mommy Sheri doesn't still wash Cole's clothes and make all his meals and likely packs his lunch.  If its okay for a woman to still have a traditional gender role than so should a young man.  Which means that Cole should have changed the oil if mommy is expected to wash (and likely fold) his dirty underwear.

So yes, I think for a variety of reasons Cole should be embarrassed that he had his mom changing oil while he stood around with that stupid expression on his face.

As far as the Mount Blanc task, my parents wouldn't even get a chance to protest or for there to be a discussion.  If its too dangerous, I'm going to insist on doing the task so they don't have to take the risk.  If its something that is fun or relatively risk free, or doesn't involve a mortal fear than we can talk.

• Love 1

I think lawyer is one of the professions highest in people giving it up, as is teaching.  I know a lot of lawyers that are law librarians, restauranteurs, authors, etc.  

I can understand becoming a lawyer and then changing careers.  I think a lot of people go into law because they was to help society and save the world.  Then they find out that most law practice isn't like that - it is contracts and wills, and horrible people getting away with things because of a technicality, and long hours, and much of your time is spent trying to find new clients because most people only need a lawyer a few times in their lives.  And I suppose if you went into law because you wanted to help people, becoming a doctor instead makes sense.  But it takes so much time to become a doctor.   And so much money.  

I guess understand the "why" of going to law school and med school but I don't fully understand the "how." How does someone have enough time and money to get both degrees? Yes, he isn't the only one, but I could never have taken the time it would require.  

(edited)

Cole lives away from home at college.  It seems like an awful lot of stereotyping.  

Troy (where Cole says he lives) and Enterprise (where Sherri lives) are less than an hour apart....so I would bet that Cole still takes home the wash on the weekends for mommy to do.   And if he is away at college he is now eating at a dining hall, so its not like he has learned to cook.

In fact, its likely the perfect situation for him to use her.  She can't get involved in his personal life and he can still use her for personal maid service.  

I can understand becoming a lawyer and then changing careers.  I think a lot of people go into law because they was to help society and save the world.  Then they find out that most law practice isn't like that - it is contracts and wills, and horrible people getting away with things because of a technicality, and long hours, and much of your time is spent trying to find new clients because most people only need a lawyer a few times in their lives.  And I suppose if you went into law because you wanted to help people, becoming a doctor instead makes sense.  But it takes so much time to become a doctor.   And so much money.  

I guess understand the "why" of going to law school and med school but I don't fully understand the "how." How does someone have enough time and money to get both degrees? Yes, he isn't the only one, but I could never have taken the time it would require.  

When he did law school/med school it would have been a lot less expensive.  I see multiple stories of people that worked their way through med school/law school back in the day and left with little to no debt.  Its also possible that he got a scholarship.  If he went in knowing he wanted to do a JD/MD it should be a five year program from what I understand. 

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1