Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

For the life of me, I don't know why the return of JB and M isn't enough to send people scurrying away.

It saddens me that people either ignore that they are really shitty people or they defend them.  They are horrible human beings.

They are more gulity than Josh.

Edited by MsJamieDornan
  • Love 19

Huh. Well, who'd have thunk that the Duggars' "relief mission" to the Bahamas was nothing but a disgraceful sham (via Starcasm):

Did they tell you how they were carrying Glock .40 cal pistols, Arkansas Constable badges, and handcuffs? Did they relate to you that the “commandeered” the FBO, vehicles, fuel, etc. and wouldn’t allow other NGOs to use the things that they “commandeered?” Did they tell you that they were giving the DEA and US Navy helicopters missions? Did they tell you that they were filling up the military aircraft with the “commandeered” fuel, which is Jet A and not JP-5?

Did they tell you how they got the AC working in that building and refused to allow a 70+ year-old lady who was sitting in the sun waiting to be evacuated come into the coolness? Did they tell you how their cohorts, Samaritan’s Purse, had a skinny Oriental volunteer who got physical with the young Bahamian who was working with me to get donated supplies delivered quickly when he wanted to come inside to use the bathroom? Did they tell you how Nathan Bates lied to me several times regarding non-existent agreements to give them all of the cargo that entered the FBO there so they could deliver it as they saw fit?

I gave them over 3000 lbs of cargo on the first day I was there. They put it on helicopters and took it to who knows where. I asked if I could ride along on one trip to shoot photos and video to show where the cargo we imported was going. They flatly refused, yet they seem to have hoodwinked you and given you a ride on the helicopter.

Did they tell you that the fuel for which they are asking $20,000 to cover was “commandeered?” They didn’t pay for it. They took it.

The man with the gun and badge in the photo is John David Duggar. He is being belligerent with the security guy we had for a female worker who spent a lot of time in the really bad areas.

All isn’t smiles and chocolate bars in Duggar and Batesville.

On 9/19/2019 at 5:46 PM, GeeGolly said:

Long day at work ...

Other than Kendra do these women have mirrors? Do they let Josie dress them? I am by no means a fashionista, but I can tell if a dress looks good on me or not. Color, cut and size matter. It's a freaking photo shoot. Frump all day long if you want, but maybe wear something flattering for a photo shoot that's being filmed?

The clothes are like very, very distant nods to hippies, old school nurses, old school maids, toddlers, school play angels and bridesmaids. But they all miss.

Kind of reminds me of this picture:

image.png.b4e5211e9b2f2fc2f968c6a5655a6dc1.png

Poor Josie looks like she is wearing a dress and corsage handed down from Aunt Bea on TBE Andy Griffith Show.

On 9/19/2019 at 5:46 PM, GeeGolly said:

Long day at work ...

Other than Kendra do these women have mirrors? Do they let Josie dress them? I am by no means a fashionista, but I can tell if a dress looks good on me or not. Color, cut and size matter. It's a freaking photo shoot. Frump all day long if you want, but maybe wear something flattering for a photo shoot that's being filmed?

The clothes are like very, very distant nods to hippies, old school nurses, old school maids, toddlers, school play angels and bridesmaids. But they all miss.

Kind of reminds me of this picture:

image.png.b4e5211e9b2f2fc2f968c6a5655a6dc1.png

Poor Josie looks like she was forced to wear a dress and corsage from Aunt Bea on the Andy Griffith Show.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 9/20/2019 at 8:34 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

That line sums up their patriarchal beliefs to a tee.  None of them are under 18, and all but Abby have more than one child.  They are not girls, but women.  This is a major fail on TLCs part.  

I still think of Lauren as having one child, but then she thinks she has more than one. 

• Love 7
On 9/20/2019 at 4:09 AM, cmr2014 said:

That preview video makes me really mad -- JB and J'chelle are BACK -- front and center. This isn't them popping up at a wedding, or showing up in the background at a birth. I'm afraid I'm going to have to get off my lazy backside and write to TLC.

Michelle was in the very first season she was there when Jessa gave birth to Spurgeon and she said something to the camera too, it might have been short but she was there. TLC doesn’t want to get rid of them. Plus Grandma died so what do you expect? Of course their gonna worm their way back onto the show.

On 9/20/2019 at 5:50 AM, Gemma Violet said:

I love how the DM calls Josh the sex pest wish they would write that every time they write his name.

On 9/20/2019 at 9:25 AM, MsJamieDornan said:

Please, please do. They should not be allowed on the show. EVER.

TLC loves these people they’ll be back on most episodes soon.

• Love 4

Abbie looked  like she didn't feel that well when she was getting out of the car to surprise them at the photo shoot on the previews.  Don't know whose idea it was,  but I thought it was a cute idea to announce her pregnancy  by showing up & asking if she could join the shoot of expecting moms. Beats those stupid homemade shirts others have done. 

• Love 8
14 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Christ , draw some eyebrows on that kid.

What are we doing when parents and corporations make money because the parents put a child out in the media where millions of us gawking strangers make fun of her looks? And not the way the kid looks as a comic actor or something....but the way she looks in real life? ...,,,

I would die of guilt and shame if I knew that I'd put a child of mine (...or any child) in that position.....And yet these fucking gleeful Christian parents have done that on purpose to 19 kids......and appear to remain some of the most self-satisfied shitheads I've ever seen. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

My Comcast on-screen guide has this entry for Tuesday, October 15, for Counting On:

S10 Ep1: Who's the Most Romantic?

Jinger and Jeremy go house-hunting in Los Angeles; the family goes camping in Arkansas; one couple makes a special announcement.

I wonder how much air time Jing and Jer get vs. the rest of the family. And how much we'll see of JB and Meech. 

• Useful 2

TLC doesn't seem to be lavishing resources on this show. They haven't provided episode descriptions for the new season to Xfinity except for the upcoming episode next Tuesday night (October 15). For October 22, Xfinity's onscreen guide shows an episode of the show on the schedule but with no information about it save a very outdated blurb about the series (Jill and Derick are in Central America, or just back, and Ben and Jessa are having a baby - seriously, it's way out of date, and the Dillards aren't even on the show anymore). 

On the TLC website, the schedule runs only through the 23rd, and there are blurbs about both episodes. The October 15 episode is much the same as the Xfinity listing I quoted above.

107781866_ScreenShot2019-10-10at2_34_36PM.thumb.png.86d4c37ee0902247d2aa0d1035be2005.png

The episode for October 22 stars the Vuolos again, titled "The Vuolos Take LA::

1006618696_ScreenShot2019-10-10at2_33_16PM.thumb.png.7ed7fb766f697e089c970900f900467a.png

• Useful 6
2 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I would laugh so hard if this were true! Poor princess Jessa.

Yeah, it would really shock me in a way, but it would also be so damn funny. It would be a very hard dose of the real world for her and Ben.

I think if it did happen, Jessa would just go in lockdown mode to avoid having to answer any questions. I don't see her running her mouth about it like Derick--I imagine she would be mortified.

Wasn't Ben posting some hateful shit on social media several weeks ago? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Maybe Jessa’s life is too boring to be on TV? Besides having babies, what does she and Ben do? 

True, but to be fair, almost every one in the family is boring as hell! 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Maybe Jessa’s life is too boring to be on TV? Besides having babies, what does she and Ben do? 

LOL, the same is true for every single one of them. 

Unfortunately, neither Jessa nor Ben have the spine to do anything that would get them fired.

• Love 12

The babies all look very young, at least a couple/few months under one year, in the promos. The photos were probably taken right around, or a month before Ivy's birth.

If you look at the promo though, there's room to photoshop in Jessa and Ben right behind Jeremy and the boys in front, on either side of Jeremy and Jinger. And the photo looks to be missing some gold/peach and a little green, as far as the color scheme.

Very odd she's not in the promos. I can see Jessa doing this to drum up interest and hits on SM, but TLC would've had to buy in.

Curiouser and curiouser. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Terrible promo pic of Jana. WTH?

Yeah, really strange photo!  Why have her face covered?

i asked why Jessa isn’t in the photos, I’m sure I will be swiftly banned. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Well we know Jessa was filmed at Mary's funeral because she's featured in a TV promo. Maybe they just weren't available for pictures?

Considering what a major part of the show Jessa and her family have been; I find it hard to believe that, sometime in the past 5 months, there wasn't a single moment available to get some photos of them.  What else is it that Jessa and Bin have to do all day? There've been many, many seasons of the show thus far and many, many times when the promos are done around the time one of them has given birth and they've always managed to end up in the promos.  The only other time someone was conspicuously absent was after Derick screwed the pooch and got them kicked off the show and it wasn't announced immediately.

I doubt Jessa would ever do anything to lose the show, nor would she allow Bin to do it, either.  I do wonder if she isn't suffering from post partum depression and maybe just doesn't have the energy for it.  Otherwise, I think they'd have gone to California, too.  I hope she's ok, I am sure that, if she is depressed, she won't be seeing any health care professionals for it.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

This season was filmed long before Jessa had Ivy.  TLC did an Ivy birth special online, so as of last May they were still filming.

Except it includes Grandma Mary's funeral and that happened after Jessa had Ivy. 

I'm also surprised Jessa and Ben aren't in the promos. This show is Counting On and Ben and Jessa have the most kids after the unfilmable Josh. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Considering what a major part of the show Jessa and her family have been; I find it hard to believe that, sometime in the past 5 months, there wasn't a single moment available to get some photos of them.  What else is it that Jessa and Bin have to do all day? There've been many, many seasons of the show thus far and many, many times when the promos are done around the time one of them has given birth and they've always managed to end up in the promos.  The only other time someone was conspicuously absent was after Derick screwed the pooch and got them kicked off the show and it wasn't announced immediately.

I doubt Jessa would ever do anything to lose the show, nor would she allow Bin to do it, either.  I do wonder if she isn't suffering from post partum depression and maybe just doesn't have the energy for it.  Otherwise, I think they'd have gone to California, too.  I hope she's ok, I am sure that, if she is depressed, she won't be seeing any health care professionals for it.

I thought post partum too, but, someone else said they had filmed months ago before Ivy's birth.

• Love 2

I'm not sure Jessa would know she was experiencing PPD, unless it was severe. I also don't think she would stop filming because of it.

They used to film the Duggars a few hours a day for 3 or 4 days when the show was 19 Kids and Counting and that was before they had intentional story lines. I'm guessing they film each family and adult kids less than 20 hours each for an entire season now.

I think Jessa would push herself through filming for an hour or two, for the money and the attention.

• Love 6

Yeah I think whatever happened, it was not Jessa's choice to not be featured on the show. She seemed to enjoy that more than many of the others. I don't know that Ben cares one way or the other, but I also don't think he'd have the nerve to challenge her and make that call unilaterally. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Well we know Jessa was filmed at Mary's funeral because she's featured in a TV promo. Maybe they just weren't available for pictures?

They did those promos for the last season. Look at how small Lissy and Garrett are. 

Jessa has obviously been filmed since, and for this upcoming season, so the absence of the Seewalds in the promo shots is perplexing.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I noted above that it was an old pic. You can tell by looking at the babies. It's from last winter. This isn't the first time TLC has recycled promo pics.

More corner cutting? As the audience way too slowly for me dwindles, they'll just keep trimming costs in every way possible until the math no longer provides the network any return at all for keeping them on the air, I would imagine. 

Then TLC will have to bite the scary scary bullet and try to find a new show to replace them.....Hollywood really really really prefers the devil they know to the new devil whose audience appeal is untested and perhaps nil. (Or whose conservative Christian stars turn out to be some kind of felons, in TLC's case....)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12

They've recycled DUGGAR promos before. This isn't a first, and the show is still in no danger of cancellation. 

I'm just waiting for them to bring Smuggar back. That will be the bellweather moment, I believe. We all know it's coming; it's just a matter of when.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

They've recycled DUGGAR promos before. This isn't a first, and the show is still in no danger of cancellation. 

I'm just waiting for them to bring Smuggar back. That will be the bellweather moment, I believe. We all know it's coming; it's just a matter of when.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH

On the other hand, I'm every bit as disgusted -- if not more so -- that JB and M have been back.

Josh did his worst -- by far -- as a kid. But they were fully fledged adults when they covered it up, lied to the network and everybody else about their wonderful characters and their suitability as role models for America, refused to get help for Josh or their daughters or even really inquire whether any of them needed it (Spoiler: all the kids involved needed at least some help), totally ignored and thus massively disrespected the non-family-member girl who was also molested, deliberately and quickly placed Josh right back into his favored position as arrogant crown prince and heir apparent, and ordered everyone who knew something was up to pretend nothing bad ever happened and to proceed with their JB- MOTY- and eventually Josh-worship just as usual. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 11