Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

On 9/5/2019 at 5:48 PM, crazy8s said:

so in my boredom today waiting for the ankle to heal, i made an instagram acct. commented on both joy and austin's page and mediccorps.

on medicorps i asked if they had permission to use hurricane victims photos and reminding people on safe donating. both of my posts were removed within in minutes and I am blocked

😂 Sounds like you’re off to a great start! 😂

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, kokapetl said:

Duggar girls’s lawyer replaces John Bolton.

LIke I said yesterday -- Gothard-adjacents and Gothard-sympathizers and lovers of John MacArthur's social-justice-is-satanic worldview......likely to be all over our government currently. 

Whatever these greedy, mean-spirited hateful cretins want now? .... They're likely to get it. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

LIke I said yesterday -- Gothard-adjacents and Gothard-sympathizers and lovers of John MacArthur's social-justice-is-satanic worldview......likely to be all over our government currently. 

Whatever these greedy, mean-spirited hateful cretins want now? .... They're likely to get it. 

This particular attorney is a Mormon, so he's not a MacArthur disciple.  He has a very long history of extremely conservative political views and is very hawkish on war, especially against the countries without a Christian majority; so he does fit into their groove, though.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

This particular attorney is a Mormon, so he's not a MacArthur disciple.  He has a very long history of extremely conservative political views and is very hawkish on war, especially against the countries without a Christian majority; so he does fit into their groove, though.

Yeah, thanks. I know that.

That's what I meant by Gothard- and Macarthur-  sympathizers and adjacents. I should have been a lot clearer -- but I was trying to avoid listing all the people that could be -- and the political descriptions! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
25 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, thanks. I know that.

That's what I meant by Gothard- and Macarthur-  sympathizers and adjacents. I should have been a lot clearer -- but I was trying to avoid listing all the people that could be -- and the political descriptions! 

When I hear about how these control-freak conservative religious guys can band together to defeat a common "enemy"--equality in any form, etc, I wonder who will end up on top Highlander style.  I find it amusing that conservative Christians like MacArthur and Gothard are willing to work with conservative Catholics like Cardinal Burke and Church Militant, and conservative Mormons.  All of these guys think the others are going to hell because of their religious beliefs, but they are willing to band together for the moment.  This harmony will not last forever and I wait to see them start to snipe at each other.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

When I hear about how these control-freak conservative religious guys can band together to defeat a common "enemy"--equality in any form, etc, I wonder who will end up on top Highlander style.  I find it amusing that conservative Christians like MacArthur and Gothard are willing to work with conservative Catholics like Cardinal Burke and Church Militant, and conservative Mormons.  All of these guys think the others are going to hell because of their religious beliefs, but they are willing to band together for the moment.  This harmony will not last forever and I wait to see them start to snipe at each other.

I think you're right that this'll happen eventually.....Or at least I hope you are!

I expect it'll take a while, though. For the moment, it seems pretty clear they're going to help each other out to create as big a movement in their preferred direction (backwards) as they can get.

People seem to be willing to overlook differences for a time when they think there's a big win in it for them..... Like when the Mormons were a huge force pushing Proposition 8 in California. Pretty much all the Mormon-hating groups who shared the anti-gay-marriage view quickly came to their side and they all fought together....

Like with the European white nationalist parties, too, for example, -- which are at odds in many ways -- But at this point many seem to still see themselves winning stuff they want by making common cause and ignoring their differences......and that's helping them gradually make major inroads in ways nobody has expected....and their power has been gradually expanding for some years now....A lot of analysts say there's no way you can ultimately get the kind of "White Conservative International" that these groups clearly aim at........But winning smaller victories seems to be encouraging people to put a lot of their internal disagreements on the back burner. 

I'd like to see the in-fighting start before I die of old age! ....

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Screenshot_20190919-124426_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4ae1334acec1e5e25182a611ab07e3e3.jpg

Screenshot of the 5 gestating ladies and Jessa. This was about a week before Mary's death. Joy had her miscarriage about a month later. 

Wow, it's even more horrifying to see The Handmaid's Tale as actual "reality" TeeVee. There's some bullshit in Gilead, if I ever saw it. 

• Love 17

I know this is a small quibble but I wish people would stop saying Joy had a miscarriage. Her child was born and didn't survive. Seeing this photo and seeing how far along she actually was and how big she was in comparison to her sisters...it really drives that home. Can someone with better data tracking abilities remind me as to how far along Michelle was when Josie was delivered? Because I think Joy had to be close to that point with Anabelle. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Tasya said:

I know this is a small quibble but I wish people would stop saying Joy had a miscarriage. Her child was born and didn't survive. Seeing this photo and seeing how far along she actually was and how big she was in comparison to her sisters...it really drives that home. Can someone with better data tracking abilities remind me as to how far along Michelle was when Josie was delivered? Because I think Joy had to be close to that point with Anabelle. 

No, Joy was around 20 weeks while Michelle was at least a month farther along, at 25 or so, I think.  Josie would've been almost twice the size of Joy's baby.   It is also a crucial time in that virtually no babies survive when born before about 24 weeks.

You are right though, what Joy had was more than a miscarriage.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

No, Joy was around 20 weeks while Michelle was at least a month farther along, at 25 or so, I think.  Josie would've been almost twice the size of Joy's baby.   It is also a crucial time in that virtually no babies survive when born before about 24 weeks.

Is that what's called fetal death in utero? 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Churchhoney said:

Is that what's called fetal death in utero? 

Yep, you could put it that way.  Intrauterine fetal demise is the medical terminology, but that applies at any point in pregnancy when you can see a fetus without a heartbeat on ultrasound.

In my office, to differentiate between early miscarriages and later stillbirths, we call them midtrimester losses.

Technically, 20 weeks is the cut off between miscarriage and stillbirth in most states for birth certificate purposes, but there is a lot of variation and practitioners are given a fair amount of leeway in deciding how to describe a loss at that point.

• Useful 16
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

Yep, you could put it that way.  Intrauterine fetal demise is the medical terminology, but that applies at any point in pregnancy when you can see a fetus without a heartbeat on ultrasound.

In my office, to differentiate between early miscarriages and later stillbirths, we call them midtrimester losses.

Technically, 20 weeks is the cut off between miscarriage and stillbirth in most states for birth certificate purposes, but there is a lot of variation and practitioners are given a fair amount of leeway in deciding how to describe a loss at that point.

Thanks for the clarifying info.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Would the baby have been considered stillborn? I've always thought  it was a miscarriage if the fetus wouldn't have survived outside of the womb and a stillborn if it would have.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

My best friend's husband who is Evangelical was going to vote Romney way back when. Sure he thinks the guy isn't a Christian and is going to hell but he has good "family values". 

You ever think people are willing to sell their souls to the devil (not saying Romney or Mormons or anyone else is) in order to get across their agendas? Especially people who claim to be such Christians. 

• Love 4

Long day at work ...

Other than Kendra do these women have mirrors? Do they let Josie dress them? I am by no means a fashionista, but I can tell if a dress looks good on me or not. Color, cut and size matter. It's a freaking photo shoot. Frump all day long if you want, but maybe wear something flattering for a photo shoot that's being filmed?

The clothes are like very, very distant nods to hippies, old school nurses, old school maids, toddlers, school play angels and bridesmaids. But they all miss.

Kind of reminds me of this picture:

image.png.b4e5211e9b2f2fc2f968c6a5655a6dc1.png

Edited by GeeGolly
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Long day at work ...

Other than Kendra do these women have mirrors? Do they let Josie dress them? I am by no means a fashionista, but I can tell if a dress looks good on me or not. Color, cut and size matter. It's a freaking photo shoot. Frump all day long if you want, but maybe wear something flattering for a photo shoot that's being filmed?

The clothes are like very, very distant nods to hippies, old school nurses, old school maids, toddlers, school play angels and bridesmaids. But they all miss.

Kind of reminds me of this picture:

image.png.b4e5211e9b2f2fc2f968c6a5655a6dc1.png

So in addition to everything else females lose in this setup, they lose their taste entirely.

Oh, well. it's just one thing of many they'll never have. Education....Free will....Taste....A pelvic floor that isn't dragging on the pavement....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 8
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't know, someone at TLC trolling?  I get pagan from this--verdant field, flowers, and gestating women, very Beltane.

Ha! That may be why it kind of appeals to me. I may be an atheist, but the whole sort of Pagan vibe with focus on the circles in our lives is the closest thing to religion which still sort of resonates. Flower garlands and all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Nysha said:

Would the baby have been considered stillborn? I've always thought  it was a miscarriage if the fetus wouldn't have survived outside of the womb and a stillborn if it would have.

The medical definition of stillbirth is based on the mother's due date.  If she is over 20 weeks, it's a stillbirth.  Under and it's a fetal demise/miscarriage.  There is virtually no chance of survival at 20 weeks, it is 1% at 23-24 weeks and 45% or so after 25.  Virtually every kid born at 23-24 weeks suffers at least one major complication such as a brain hemorrhage, blindness, life threatening infection.  This leads to many of them having disabling conditions like cerebral palsy, learning disabilities, etc.

Legally, the definition has evolved and I believe each state gets to define it.  Ohio uses the 20 week rule but, the practitioner attending the birth has the ability to make the call based on circumstances.  For example, we sometimes see women with no prenatal care who come to the ER having a miscarriage and it is obvious from the circumstances like the size of the fetus or the amount of tissue, that the woman was not actually 20 weeks along even though her last period was that long ago.  The doctor can call it a miscarriage.  Or, perhaps a woman is 19 weeks and 5 days pregnant when she suffers the loss.  She is almost 20 weeks, the baby is virtually that size; so the practitioner can declare it a stillbirth rather than a miscarriage since it was so close.  Or, perhaps a woman comes to the hospital after 20 weeks but delivers a baby who is much smaller than that, 16 weeks size or so.  The doctor can note that and decide how to call it after talking with the parents.

The government issues a Stillbirth Certificate for stillbirths, there is no legal documentation of losses before 20 weeks.  The standards for disposal of the remains also changes based on the designation.  A baby less than 20 weeks can be taken care of by the hospital by the means they use for other medical tissues, usually mass cremation.  However, sometimes the parents want to take the remains and bury them, as happened to poor Jubilee in the ammo box on the show.  If the baby is considered a miscarriage, that can happen.  However, if the baby is declared stillborn and a Certificate of Stillbirth signed, the same standards apply as to any dead person's remains.  Just like most places won't let you bury your Grandma in the backyard under an apple tree, a stillborn can't be buried just anywhere.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that in many, if not most municipalities, it is not legal.

• Useful 21
6 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Just like most places won't let you bury your Grandma in the backyard under an apple tree, a stillborn can't be buried just anywhere.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that in many, if not most municipalities, it is not legal.

Always appreciate your medical knowledge! 🙂

So, at the risk of sounding really freaky, I have 2 different neighbors who have their wives buried in the backyard. But I'm in a rural area and in a different county from the Duggars. I would be shocked if you could get away with that in the Tontitown area. But wouldn't rule it out. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

You ever think people are willing to sell their souls to the devil (not saying Romney or Mormons or anyone else is) in order to get across their agendas? Especially people who claim to be such Christians. 

That very thought crosses my mind every morning when I remember with a shudder who's in the White House ... and  that he was put there by my churchgoing siblings and my former church friends. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Lunera said:

New season preview 

Omg I couldn’t watch past about 30 seconds. “US pregnant girls” 🤣🤣🤣 I have no idea how anyone can actually watch this drivel.

6 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Wow, it's even more horrifying to see The Handmaid's Tale as actual "reality" TeeVee. There's some bullshit in Gilead, if I ever saw it. 

It sure is! I REALLY dislike Anna and Jessa these days. The whole spectacle is disgusting.

• Love 15
11 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Omg I couldn’t watch past about 30 seconds. “US pregnant girls” 🤣🤣🤣 I have no idea how anyone can actually watch this drivel.

It sure is! I REALLY dislike Anna and Jessa these days. The whole spectacle is disgusting.

I wonder how/when TLC will deal with Joy’s stillborn birth?

• Love 1

That preview video makes me really mad -- JB and J'chelle are BACK -- front and center. This isn't them popping up at a wedding, or showing up in the background at a birth. I'm afraid I'm going to have to get off my lazy backside and write to TLC.

I noticed that Anna got included in the "us pregnant girls" photo shoot, so I guess we can assume that Josh will start squeezing back in this season?

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

That preview video makes me really mad -- JB and J'chelle are BACK -- front and center. This isn't them popping up at a wedding, or showing up in the background at a birth. I'm afraid I'm going to have to get off my lazy backside and write to TLC.

I noticed that Anna got included in the "us pregnant girls" photo shoot, so I guess we can assume that Josh will start squeezing back in this season?

If he does, they'll lose their hate-watchers. That's probably half the audience. It might be enough to sink the show! 

From my fingers to TLC's programming peeps.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I don't think it means Josh will be squeezing back. Anna has been on the show off and on since the scandals.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

Please, please do. They should not be allowed on the show. EVER.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't think it means Josh will be squeezing back. Anna has been on the show off and on since the scandals.

I agree with you. But, Damn....

For the life of me, I don't know why the return of JB and M isn't enough to send people scurrying away.

They, after all, were the adults (supposedly) in the Josh mess and they created the coverup --plus the warped family and male/female structure -- that together caused all the harm.

And harmed not only their own kids -- daughters especially and Josh who was a messed-up kid but still a kid at the time included --  but also the public by lying their way onto television where they've perpetrated their sick sick views ever since.....most of the time before anybody in the general public knew about the numerous evils they committed in the molestation disaster and therefore bought hook, line and sinker in many cases their we're-the-best-of-America-and-God's-our-best-friend-so-follow-us-to-goodness! bullshit. 

Josh shouldn't be on the show but his evil evil lying crap bags of parents shouldn't be either. 

Of course, to my mind, the whole show perpetrates the crap just as successfully as Josh, JB and M could do by their presence. The rest of them sell the disgusting we're-better-and-Jesus-loves-us-best fearful, hateful, arrogant misogynistic Duggar mythology just as ardently as their parents do, albeit a bit more stealthily -- i.e., dangerously. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14
9 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

That line sums up their patriarchal beliefs to a tee.  None of them are under 18, and all but Abby have more than one child.  They are not girls, but women.  This is a major fail on TLCs part.  

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That line sums up their patriarchal beliefs to a tee.  None of them are under 18, and all but Abby have more than one child.  They are not girls, but women.  This is a major fail on TLCs part.  

It also should have been “we” not “us” in that context. So stupid!

• Love 14
7 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

So TLC filmed an open coffin with drowned Grandma’s body displayed???

I am out of words. They all suck.

"Check out Grandma's Checkout, only on TLC! Turns out we don't all float!"

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:
13 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It also should have been “we” not “us” in that context. So stupid!

So did TLC use "us pregnant girls" instead of "we pregnant women" to highlight the redneck, uneducated nature of the Arkansas Duggar clan, or were they just too lazy to proofread.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10