Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

I am speechless! It is okay to defend him for molesting you, but God forbid, he should not have cheated on his wife. And if they are trying to prove they are moving on instead of trying to sell their souls for the almighty ratings, dollar signs, and five minutes of fame, I will sell you the Fort Peck Dam.

Come on, not fair that so many are not watching but will be snarking.  Take one for the team.  I just can't concentrate on TV in general, so have it on and go into this blank stare or coma or something. I have recorded some episodes but never watch anything I've recorded.  Odd thing is if there are 2 things on and one seems really good, I'll record that one and coma-watch the other one, and then never watch the good one I recorded.  My DVD players are likewise unused, and DVDs received as gifts remain in original packaging.  Yet the tv is on all the time.  It's a sickness, I tell ya!

I'm not sure about how you can snark about something you haven't seen.  I, for one, will watch.

The smiling and crying simultaneously on this clip is SO CREEPY.

Life for the past four months has been pretty crazy! lol

I'm seriously worried for their grasp on reality.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 5

Ugh Michelle and Jim Bob are visible are visible in the going-away prayer scene and Michelle's right there with Jessa going to the ambulance and the 911 call is played. I never want to see them again, but they got their paychecks, so who cares.

It's no coincidence that the need-to-be-married-off kids are featured. I also agree with those posters that think there's more under the rug.

I'm seriously worried for their grasp on reality.

"I, like, we, I like lost my TV show and it was so sad....*tissue to eyes*, but we'll totally awesomely come out of the fire and be like, stronger..."

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 8

Sooooo disappointed about the Good Morning America thing. FF to 7:35 am. I don't recall Anna 'speaking' out at all. It was more of an advertisement for Jill & Jessa's Counting On Special which, BTW, starts on Sunday. The Good Morning America thing was for about 2-3 minutes. If you blink you're eyes you'll miss it. Just pathetic. Why do they do this? They didn't speak to Anna at all. 

Yes, clearly just a promo for Counting On. Guess Good Morning America/ABC is now taking over for NBC/Today Show in that department - good grief. I'd have given a lot to hear any off-air comments from Robin or George S however. 

• Love 3

I feel bad for Jinger. I know which victim she was, she shouldn't have to do any of this.

2v850yf.png

Dr Jill on skype

2i1gy2d.png

And Dr Jana in the flesh

nzm6he.png

Everyone looks terrible

157d84i.png

No more college for Joe?

21o8zlt.png

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 5

I've seen the TLC trailers a bunch of times w/the Jsisters feigning surprise at the whole Josh thing, which I find very distastefully untruthful.

(bolding by me) How could you not, if you watch TLC at all?  It feels like they're running the promo at least once every commercial break, maybe more!

I'd be happier if just a couple of non-Nielsen people from this forum watch and then report back to the rest of us. I absolutely want these specials to do horribly. I can't ever remember wishing such spectacular failure upon anyone before in my life.

If I ever did watch - big if, I didn't even watch most of the eps of the regular show; even aside from the molestation controversy, these people are just plain boring - it would be through piracy anyway, so I wouldn't be contributing to their ratings regardless.
"He should have never let us defend him for molesting us when the whole time he was being unfaithful."

Good lord. Way to prioritize. 

• Love 9

Aja, I love this!

The unmitigated gall of Mullet's robocall PERIOD. Then to later find out she made this incredibly self righteous and hateful robocall DESPITE knowledge her own firstborn's previous molestations of her own daughters, not to mention the total coverup at that time of the molestations and absolute, incredible moral bankruptcy of discounting familial molestation in the post-media-exposure interview of Mullet and the patriarch.

These people and their 'very conservative Christian family values' - ugh. If THIS is 'religion' and 'morality', count me completely OUT.

I wonder if Michelle thinks something along the lines of, "If a boy like Josh, raised to have a heart for Jesus or whatever, can molest - well, then, CERTAINLY everyone else must be doing it, too. Especially the scary people that I don't understand. "

What a way to live.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 12

The unmitigated gall of Mullet's robocall PERIOD.

I find the fact that Josh, Jim Bob, and Michelle all avoided prosecution to be INFURIATING. Here they are, still getting TLC paychecks (Josh though Anna and his kids now.) My blood pressure shoots up.

John David was noticeably absent from that promo...

• Love 4

Just saw a promo for the specials on The Cooking Channel. How depressing! I'm hoping the departure of so many advertisers makes TLC decide that further shows with these clowns aren't worth the effort.

• Love 3

There's a pic on the Duggar Official facebook page..Did we know that the Duggar's apparently deem Charlie Brown Christmas acceptable viewing (I assume the religious message it has makes it ok).  I love how they're all sitting around staring at the itsy bitsy laptop screen, lol

Sorry, I don't know how to paste it over here, but it's kind of a funny pic if someone else knows how..

There's a pic on the Duggar Official facebook page..Did we know that the Duggar's apparently deem Charlie Brown Christmas acceptable viewing (I assume the religious message it has makes it ok).

Hopefully no one fills them in on the Marci/Peppermint Patty relationship or Lucy trying to defraud Schroeder.  

Count me among those who will not be partaking in the specials.  I refuse to do anything that could potentially put one penny into Jim-Bob's pocket.  Will enjoy the feedback here.  Thanks to those taking one for the team!

• Love 11

I wonder if Michelle thinks something along the lines of, "If a boy like Josh, raised to have a heart for Jesus or whatever, can molest - well, then, CERTAINLY everyone else must be doing it, too. Especially the scary people that I don't understand. "

What a way to live.

I think that's exactly what she thinks.

• Love 2

So there's speculation of this nature (quoting from someone's comment on the article in The Wrap):

"I think that the reason they still have a relationship with the Duggars is that the Duggars could tell the media that TLC knew about Josh and went forward with their show anyways. As long as there are some Duggars on the payroll Jimbob and Michelle will keep silent about what TLC knew. TLC and the Duggars are the perfect business partners, unscrupulous, liars that built their houses on dysfunction and abuse."

What do we think, is there anything to this? I mean, I think it's probably true that TLC knew a lot of this stuff. Would TLC worry that much? Are the Duggars smart enough to cook up this particular blackmail scheme? (We're way past 'Would the Duggar family ever try using blackmail to get their way.')

I don't think TLC ever had the slightest intention to dump the Duggars. The strategy was to lay low, tease the leghumpers with updates on social media, and wait until public attention had moved on, then relaunch as a "new" show starring only the members of the family that the audience still wants to see. The audience still turns out in droves to watch weddings/births/courtships, and there's still 18 Duggars to provide that stuff. If anyone else proves troublesome, there's always siblings who can pick up the slack. This show could conceivably run forever.

I also think they're doing the same strategy with Josh, it's just taking longer. But as soon as Anna is knocked up with another M kid, the audience is going to be clamoring to see that family reunited. Anna actually has all the power in the relationship right now, if she would only use it.

• Love 8

I can donate a couple WTFs. So let me get this straight......you guys agreed to lie about the molestions, which are A CRIME, to get the show back. Then once your collective feet were back in the TLC door, the world found out about the cheating, which is horrible, but NOT A CRIME, so, oops,  you all backpedaled that you shouldn't have lied for him. So now Josh becomes expendable (TLC probably said 'no Josh'), and now everyone's teary over Josh cheating, but still zip over the molesting. My head is spinning.

I still bet the crocodile tears are about the evil press. They are all despicable, every single one of them. I honestly don't care if any of them ever "escape" or not. And, while I'm at it,  I want someone to slap the smug off Jessa's self-absorbed mug.

I think what she meant was that they really believed he had changed when they defended him. Which he had not, so another betrayal for them. Not that I think they should have defended him, of course.

• Love 9

The TLC commercial -- Jill, Jessa, and even Anna seemed all fake to me from the glimpses we see. They seem fake in the -- cry on cue so the audience feels bad and we get 10 more episodes out of this, go!

For whatever reason Jana and Joseph struck me as a bit more real. Like Joseph actually looked confused when he said -- he couldn't have known about his brother's double life. Jinger -- we've all been saying it for a while -- I feel like something is going on with her. Whether it's actual depression or being in a funk or whatever, she comes across REALLY unhappy EVERY time we see her. I know they don't believe in it, but if she needs someone to talk to -- even 1 therapy session or a bit of time with friends rather than just family -- why not let her have it??

I know we see a 1 second glimpse of the birth with Jessa wincing and Ben sitting behind her -- I can't decide if his look is "WTF - THIS is how a baby comes??" or perfect calm as in -- we've prayed, we're good, nothing to worry about . . . . He seems expressionless.

• Love 9

The TLC commercial -- Jill, Jessa, and even Anna seemed all fake to me from the glimpses we see. They seem fake in the -- cry on cue so the audience feels bad and we get 10 more episodes out of this, go!

For whatever reason Jana and Joseph struck me as a bit more real. Like Joseph actually looked confused when he said -- he couldn't have known about his brother's double life. Jinger -- we've all been saying it for a while -- I feel like something is going on with her. Whether it's actual depression or being in a funk or whatever, she comes across REALLY unhappy EVERY time we see her. I know they don't believe in it, but if she needs someone to talk to -- even 1 therapy session or a bit of time with friends rather than just family -- why not let her have it??

I know we see a 1 second glimpse of the birth with Jessa wincing and Ben sitting behind her -- I can't decide if his look is "WTF - THIS is how a baby comes??" or perfect calm as in -- we've prayed, we're good, nothing to worry about . . . . He seems expressionless.

When I see the word expressionless, I tend to think medicated instead. I wonder how often I'm actually right?

• Love 2

I think what she meant was that they really believed he had changed when they defended him. Which he had not, so another betrayal for them. Not that I think they should have defended him, of course.

This is where I feel bad for the girls. They did nothing wrong to begin with. Then when they wanted to express that they didn't think their brother was a pedophile nor a monster they caught shit. Now they feel betrayed again by Josh and feel the need to explain themselves again. IMO that's not fair for them. Josh is not them, he is their brother. I imagine they wrestle with all kinds of feelings of what happened to them and who their brother is. But a they end of the day, they were innocent little girls who did nothing wrong.

• Love 8

Hopefully no one fills them in on the Marci/Peppermint Patty relationship or Lucy trying to defraud Schroeder.

Count me among those who will not be partaking in the specials. I refuse to do anything that could potentially put one penny into Jim-Bob's pocket. Will enjoy the feedback here. Thanks to those taking one for the team!

I read this after I just woke and thought you were refusing to ..pee in Jim- bobs pocket..which is also a good thing to refuse to do.

• Love 2

I read this after I just woke and thought you were refusing to ..pee in Jim- bobs pocket..which is also a good thing to refuse to do.

How about encouraging a horse to pee in Jim Bob's pocket? Would you refuse to do that? Because I wouldn't.

• Love 2

Exactly.

However, your description is actually the TRUTH about ALL of them, including Howdy Doody Duggar and Mullet.

None of the Duggar apples has fallen far from the tree. .... And the married ones have married apples who may have sprouted from other trees, but after they fell they rolled right next to the Duggar trunk. Where Jim Bob spotted them and snatched them up as in-laws.

• Love 9

And another generation of ignorant, self righteous slackers begins anew.

But when the tv stops, the gravy train may take some time to grind to a halt. But it will halt. And then they'll have to live in other ways.

If the kids only knew it, it would be so so so much better for their train to stop right now, so they have a longer stretch of the rest of their lives to use preparing for what's going to be a very rude shock and a lot more demanding lifestyle. When they're truly struggling for cash, it won't be nearly so easy to be self righteous.

And that day really has to come. I just don't believe that Jim Bob has enough money squirreled away to support them all in a decent style forever. Nor do I believe that he's a good enough business man to build some new enterprise to sustain them. Seems to me that he pretty much depends on speculation and corner-cutting to make his money for him, and that's not a good long-term strategy.

The best thing that could possibly happen to all of them is for these hideous "specials" to flop so mightily that even TLC won't want to continue them. It's really the next generation's only chance to get a clue and start changing their ways, I think. But I fear that isn't going to happen.

• Love 17

I agree Churchie. The Duggars' financial future looks weak. It is going to be hard for all of them to live on a beer budget when their champagne dries up. Because they are so stunted emotionally (JB & M too) they most likely have no reality in regard to their futures. 

Supporting 19+ plus people will be hard for JB to do on a working man's salary. Food, electricity, cars, hot water, well maybe their hot water bill is low, but everything. else. When this time comes life is going to feel very different for these folks.

And they all think that they are all that - like Churchie said - they have no clue.

• Love 4

I imagine they still receive love offerings. Think of all the stuffJill (?) scored off her registry.

True but I imagine that will dry up too. And I would guess that most of the offerings don't come from the wealthy.

• Love 4

I imagine they still receive love offerings. Think of all the stuffJill (?) scored off her registry.

That's not going to last forever either. It never does, for anybody. At that point, she was still on teevee and it was her wedding and people weren't bored with her being married yet.. And even if these specials do brilliantly, the Duggars simply aren't going to be on tv forever. They were starting to fade before the weddings happened. And when you fade from tv you usually fade pretty quickly. And your fame fades pretty quickly right after that.

Look at the quick plummets of American Idol's sales, for example. People are all about you, and then pretty suddenly they're not about you a bit. They're about somebody else.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4

That's an old rumor. I kind of doubt he has a rehab girlfriend, but anything's possible.

Yeah, all I can think of is, Another woman wants to be with Josh Duggar? Seriously? And now, when his prospects for a future in which he can feed himself and all his many children look bleaker than ever? ... The most I could see is some momentary fake-rehab fling that would evaporate quickly when they joined the rest of the world again.

• Love 3

I kind of doubt he has a rehab girlfriend, but anything's possible.

Oh, I could believe that there's some poor deluded woman in Jesus Jail that he's playing patty-fingers with, but I can't imagine that he'd ever seriously consider leaving Anna. Divorcing the mother of his four children would be the final nail in his coffin. Any slight chance of rehabilitating his public image hangs on going back to her and he knows it. Not that Jim Bob would permit it, anyway.

However, I could see Josh jerking Anna's chain by telling her that he's thinking about leaving her. Just to keep her off-balance and keep her from getting too full of herself: "Don't start thinking that you're the one with the power now, Cupcake, I'm still calling the shots in this marriage!"

• Love 5

And the whole special on sex abuse was completely lost on the Duggars. Anna doesn't look like she has suffered in that clip. I'm betting that in her mind she can turn Josh around just like the people her dad used to minister to in prison. Seems like the only thing they understand is praying to Jesus and everything is honky dory. There truly is no hope for them.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 6

None of the Duggar apples has fallen far from the tree. .... And the married ones have married apples who may have sprouted from other trees, but after they fell they rolled right next to the Duggar trunk. Where Jim Bob spotted them and snatched them up as in-laws.

Your words never fail to defraud the appreciation centers in my brain.

• Love 14

There's a pic on the Duggar Official facebook page..Did we know that the Duggar's apparently deem Charlie Brown Christmas acceptable viewing (I assume the religious message it has makes it ok). I love how they're all sitting around staring at the itsy bitsy laptop screen, lol

Sorry, I don't know how to paste it over here, but it's kind of a funny pic if someone else knows how..

hraart.jpg

"

• Love 4

hraart.jpg

" big, enormous twelve-inch screen "

About one inch of screen per person. Does anyone else think its odd that 11 Duggars are packed into Jessa's house with a bunch of board games? Are they babysitting? And who took the picture? I'm not sure if I was a 'first' time mom of a month old baby, that I would want every square inch of my home packed with people.  And where is Josie the Miracle Licker?

• Love 2