Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

They didn't adopt him. Stupid InTouch. They did get it right a couple of paragraphs down, but how many leghumpers got that far before squeeing with joy because they thought that the Duggars made it to twenty?

1 hour ago, PoshSprinkles said:

When did Jill admit to blanket training?

I'm not sure she did, but she shared a picture of an awful way of containing or punishing Izzy, wrapped tightly in a blanket or towel. Not the slap and train method of blanket training, but equally as bad.

16 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm not sure she did, but she shared a picture of an awful way of containing or punishing Izzy, wrapped tightly in a blanket or towel. Not the slap and train method of blanket training, but equally as bad.

I christened that awful picture "The Screaming Grub"

• Love 2

I'm sorta new to posting here and never posted to this thread so I'm not sure if something like this belongs here.

I don't even have a comment. I'm just fascinated by her behavior in a WTF sort of way. Maybe you have a comment!

Plus, JB is only a few months younger than I (which I'm reminded of every year when his birthday rolls around which is why MEchelle made this vid).

In my defense, Chris Rock, David Spade, Ben Stiller, JK Rowling, Slash, Robert Downey Jr. Sarah Jessica Parker, Brooke Shields, Bjork, Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder, Keanu Reeves, Dr. Dre, Rob Lowe, Stephen Colbert, Michelle Obama...the list goes on...JB is one of the only non-cool celeb born around that time! Such an embarrassment to the older Gen-X crowd.

jb.jpg

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, TeaInTheMoment said:

I'm sorta new to posting here and never posted to this thread so I'm not sure if something like this belongs here.

I don't even have a comment. I'm just fascinated by her behavior in a WTF sort of way. Maybe you have a comment!

Plus, JB is only a few months younger than I (which I'm reminded of every year when his birthday rolls around which is why MEchelle made this vid).

In my defense, Chris Rock, David Spade, Ben Stiller, JK Rowling, Slash, Robert Downey Jr. Sarah Jessica Parker, Brooke Shields, Bjork, Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder, Keanu Reeves, Dr. Dre, Rob Lowe, Stephen Colbert, Michelle Obama...the list goes on...JB is one of the only non-cool celeb born around that time! Such an embarrassment to the older Gen-X crowd.

jb.jpg

Belated Happy Birthday TeaInTheMoment! There's a discussion of MEchelle's video ode to Boob in the thread with their names - everyone LOVED it! ha, ha

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TeaInTheMoment said:

JB is one of the only non-cool celeb born around that time! Such an embarrassment to the older Gen-X crowd.

jb.jpg

I think JB is an embarrassment to all generations.  Moses is hanging his head in shame.

• Love 12

Not sure if this video has been posted on another thread.  Duggs at a wedding.  Jing is an attendant and looks nice.  Derelict is wearing a wrinkled shirt.  Jill is holding baby Samuel. The back of Boob's head annoys me. MEchelle and that fried hair.  Josie walks in after I am sure she was running like a feral cat all over the church.  

At around 4:30, I get the feeling that the little girl in the wedding really needs to go to the restroom. 

Edited by truthtalk2014

Some time ago, Bin seemed to be the first Duggar adjacent to comment negatively on racism. So I'm surprised he hasn't weighed in.

Despite my not liking the Duggar adjacents much, I'm glad they're at least saying this.

It doesn't erase their other bigotries and nuttinesses, of course, but you do have to start somewhere.

And their antigay, antitrans, antiCatholic shit is actually all the very explicit teaching of many of the "church" organizations/gurus they're linked with. So, in my view, they believe in those things mainly because they're kinda stupid sheep, not because they've personally thought it through in any way.

Since their "church" connections -- probably majority racist, in fact, if you scratch below the surface, I expect -- are nevertheless more silent about the race stuff (probably because they know it's going to be unacceptable so they keep it mostly to themselves) the boys get to make up their own minds. So at least we've now seen Der, Jer (and, earlier, Bin) at least speak up about racism being wrong. I realize this is me being Pollyanna again, but I do think it's a good thing that when there is a truly vital moral and ethical matter on which their leaders don't explicitly speak out, all three of them have openly come down on the right side, basically. 

So while they're still too stupid and sheeplike to come up with different moral ideas than in the milieu of which they're a part, at least they have some accurate understanding of right and wrong -- and a willingness to say something about it -- in a matter where their milieu leaders haven't actually told them what to do.

The fact that all three have now publicly said something negative about racism is the best thing I know about these three Duggar adjacents to date. It actually gives me some hope that by the time they're 50 or so they may have gathered the wisdom and the nerve to disagree with some wrong things that their "faith" leaders do actually preach. Go, guys. I'm giving you 20-plus years to get there (almost 30 for you, Bin). Keep inching in the right direction. Don't let me down. 

Do people ever get braver, wiser, and less sheeplike as they get older? Maybe some do. I'm hopin'.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, Aja said:

Oh Derick. I know you need a hobby now that you're not dancing interpretively in Danger America anymore, but let me tell you a brief anecdote. I've been working on a novel for decades now, and over the course of those decades, I have read books, taken classes and workshops, worked with writing clubs, and lots of other stuff that I'm sure doesn't interest you because I know how much you hate thinking, but no worries...I can sum up all those years of learning in four simple words for you: "Write what you know." The reason is simple. If you attempt to write about complexities of which you have very little understanding, you come off sounding like a fucking idiot, and you won't sell anything. See how that works? Tweeting hateful, completely inappropriate, completely unsolicited insults about a 16 year old child kind of negates a little bit of your pearl-clutching horror in the above tweet. "Unacceptable, violent acts of hatred" happen every single day because of attitudes like yours toward trans people and other LGBTQ people. So don't pretend to be all taken aback by your own fucking culture. "This wkd"' happened as a direct result of thinking like yours. A DIRECT RESULT OF THINKING LIKE YOURS, DERICK. And, just to be very clear, that way of thinking is YOURS, and has nothing to do with God or Jesus. Both God and Jesus made their feelings about judging others perfectly clear. God's laws aren't yours to enforce. With your education and skill level, you aren't prepared to enforce much of anything, to be honest.  So stick to what you know--hilariously literal interpretations of very selective Bible verses, your own superiority, and cute stories about your doomed children. 

Perfect! 

• Love 7
On 8/14/2017 at 7:50 PM, DangerousMinds said:

If thry can't or won't think things through on their own, they are certainly in no position to be "preaching" to others. Maybe in a few decades . . .

That sort of seems to be the fashion in the fundie churches, doesn't it? All sorts of late-teens early-20s guys preaching. I know I've read about a ton of them making their "first sermons.' And since they've all been raised explicitly not to think, I expect that none of them has had any thoughts, so it's all good. 

The "no thinking" is decreed so that none of them says anything out of the ordinary way. Their preaching just parrots what they've heard from the patriarchs -- since they're allowed to have no independent thought -- so it's really just the patriarchy coming through the possibly more attractive persons of the young guys instead of the old farts? Maybe that's the idea of the teenagers doing it? 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

That sort of seems to be the fashion in the fundie churches, doesn't it? All sorts of late-teens early-20s guys preaching. I know I've read about a ton of them making their "first sermons.' And since they've all been raised explicitly not to think, I expect that none of them has had any thoughts, so it's all good. 

The "no thinking" is decreed so that none of them says anything out of the ordinary way. Their preaching just parrots what they've heard from the patriarchs -- since they're allowed to have no independent thought -- so it's really just the patriarchy coming through the possibly more attractive persons of the young guys instead of the old farts? Maybe that's the idea of the teenagers doing it? 

Well, to some extent wouldn't you rather hear from shadow puppets of folks who might have actually gone through seminary than the Duggar-adjacent type of guessing at what you think God wants, lol?

Edited by queenanne
3 hours ago, queenanne said:

Well, to some extent wouldn't you rather hear from shadow puppets of folks who might have actually gone through seminary than the Duggar-adjacent type of guessing at what you think God wants, lol?

Good point. lol ... Of course, since a lot of the people this group puppets are patriarchs in their cult-crowd, I'm not sure how many of them went to seminary either! 

12 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Good point. lol ... Of course, since a lot of the people this group puppets are patriarchs in their cult-crowd, I'm not sure how many of them went to seminary either! 

Good point.  I was thinking more of folks like Tim Keller and John Piper, whose books I'm pretty sure some read - we at least can be sure Jeremy reads them, as he's thoughtfully shown us pictures of piles.

• Love 2

"It would be next to impossible for a jury to ignore the perpetrator sitting next to the victims, yet decide the different issues, different claims and different damages that apply for victims as compared to perpetrator. Consolidation would undoubtedly give the false impression that the victims and the perpetrator are 'in this together.'"

But, remember, "It was nothing!".

• Love 13

Lily and Ellie have reminded us "Wednesday was the 13-year anniversary of the Duggars' first reality TV appearance. On September 6th, 2004, the family was featured on the Discovery Health special 14 Children and Pregnant Again!"  Pathetically, they posted a picture of four Duggar daughters wearing their prairie dresses next to brother Josh.

0 00 1 Vintage.jpg

1 hour ago, Mollie said:

He dropped out of the lawsuit with his sisters and filed his own lawsuit separately on July 7th. https://www.courthousenews.com/reality-star-claims-touch-weekly-invaded-privacy/

E says they've got court documents and the quotes above are supposedly taken from them.  E isn't exactly the Washington Post, but they're not known for making stuff up.

I wonder if, after Josh tried to jump into their suit, the girls' attorneys filed an objection to it which lead Josh to voluntarily withdraw the request and file separately.  Had he tried to force his way into their suit the way he forced himself on them when they were kids; if would've made for some harmful publicity.  Had the sisters welcomed him to join, aside from hurting their own case, TLC would been inundated with angry complaints from viewers.

It does seem to suggest that the sisters don't have much communication/contact with Josh. He obviously didn't tell them he wanted to join their suit or it never would've happened.  Good for Jill, Jessa, Jinjer and Joy!

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Good for Jill, Jessa, Jinjer and Joy!

I don't think Jill, Jessa, Jinger, or Joy have had anything to do with this lawsuit beyond signing their name where indicated. I believe this is a brainchild of JimBob and his lawyer, the girls, as usual, are just along for the ride. 

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Rebel Wilson says that she is donating all of the money to charity.  Can you imagine any of the Duggar girls or Josh doing that?

Rebel Wilson still has her pre-existing fortune to live off. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kokapetl said:

Rebel Wilson still has her pre-existing fortune to live off. 

Yeah, her fortune that she earned through her own hard work and talent. Her fortune that will continue to grow as she has an actual career and prospects.

if the Duggars were hard working middle class folk, that would be one thing.  The fact is, the vast majority are lazy and have no prospects.  They couldn't possibly give any money to charity because, not only are they selfish, they are uneducated, unambitious and have a massive sense of entitlement.  Even if they had Rebel Wilson's money and career prospects, they'd never give a dime away, ever.  They've got dozens and dozens of slackers to raise for the next generation.

Edited by doodlebug
Edited because everyone needs to know., the Indians have now won 20 in a row! Go Tribe!
  • Love 16
3 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Yeah, her fortune that she earned through her own hard work and talent. Her fortune that will continue to grow as she has an actual career and prospects.

if the Duggars were hard working middle class folk, that would be one thing.  The fact is, the vast majority are lazy and have no prospects.  They couldn't possibly give any money to charity because, not only are they selfish, they are uneducated, unambitious and have a massive sense of entitlement.  Even if they had Rebel Wilson's money and career prospects, they'd never give a dime away, ever.  They've got dozens and dozens of slackers to raise for the next generation.

The amount Rebel Wilson was awarded did take into consideration lost earnings. The amount was the largest ever awarded in an Australian defamation case. The Duggar girls wouldn't receive anything close to this amount if they were suing for defamation in Australia, which they aren't. They're not suing for defamation anywhere. 

The reason I posted the article was because it involves Bauer Media and tabloid recklessness. 

• Love 4