Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

I don't mind if a show hangs around a year or two longer than it probably should, especially if it's known at the beginning of the season that it will be the final one. It's like knowing that your favorite athlete is retiring at the end of the year and even though he is no longer in his prime, you appreciate the opportunity to savor the final moments. Considering the show is still watchable at that point, I find it's much better closure than going out on top.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1

I agree and I think the duo of Amy and Tina is completely overrated. While they are not unfunny, I think their smug and self-congratulatory delivery of every joke lessens the humor and many times puts them into mean girls territory. Nothing is off limits if you are the flavor of the week.

• Love 5
I don't think Amy Poehler is funny.

So very unfunny and just generally grating. My very UO is that I think she does far better with more emotional material than anything humorous. 

ITA that Parks just isn't remotely funny. I found it engaging and sweet (far TOO sweet by the end) and liked many of the non-April characters, but for me it wasn't even the slightest bit funny or clever or witty. The humor ranged from either really stupid and dopey to pretty much nonexistent. 

I find Gina on Brooklyn Nine Nine hilarious, and other then Andre Braugher, Chelsea Peretti's line deliveries might be my favourite of anyone in the cast.

I absolutely love Gina and I've watched Chelsea Peretti's Netflix comedy special and find her hilarious. 

• Love 1

I was up late last night and was watching Seth Myers, and he had the Parks and Rec group on since last night was the series finale.  I noticed that April (don't remember her real name) was sitting there with the same mean face she had on the show.  I think she thinks it's cute, but she just looked stupid sitting there when everyone else was laughing and smiling.  I can't stand her.

I agree about Amy and Tina acting like smug, mean girls.  The  only time I ever kind of liked Amy was when she did the Weekend Update with Seth, and they did the "reeeaally" bit.  Otherwise, nah.  I never liked Tina Fey.  

• Love 2

It's hardly a crime that Joan Rivers was not among the "those we lost" homage during the Oscars, and I hate the way the court of public opinion (social media) declares the "guilt" of things without knowing the whole story. I also liked the watercolor images of the death parade; I thought they were rather classy.

While general agreement seems to be that Lady Gaga acquitted herself quite "loverly" on the "Sound of Music" medley, I found her giant arm tattoos distracting and detracted from her appearance (plus she didn't know what to do with her dress). It's nice that she has some actual talent (unlike Madonna), so maybe she should stop the "being outrageous just to be outrageous."

• Love 4

I thought Lady Gaga did a great job, but I'm not sure if that's an unpopular opinion or not.  To be honest, I have stayed far away from any online discussion of The Oscars because I really have no complaints about them, and people seem to be less and less satisfied every year; every year has the worst host ever, the worst musical numbers, the most unworthy presenters, etc.  So, my UO is that The Oscars are still enjoyable and gets more right than it does wrong.  Yup.

• Love 3

While general agreement seems to be that Lady Gaga acquitted herself quite "loverly" on the "Sound of Music" medley, I found her giant arm tattoos distracting and detracted from her appearance (plus she didn't know what to do with her dress). It's nice that she has some actual talent (unlike Madonna), so maybe she should stop the "being outrageous just to be outrageous."

I thought Lady Gaga did a really good job with the medley, but I also thought the contrast between her dress and the huge arm tats was hilarious. Especially since she kept doing this beauty queen thing with her left arm, showing off the ink on the underside. Someone told me that it was as if she didn't know what to do while just standing there singing, since she usually dances around a lot while she's performing.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 1

Downton Abbey: I don't get why poor poor Edith get so much sympathies. She is just another user who walks all over people who are of lower class than her and thinks of no one but herself. Playing with people and a child life like that ain't cute.

I completely agree. Now she has her kid but my sympathies are still with the two families she ripped her daughter away from.

• Love 2

This is what I suspect is the reason so many shows that start out spectacularly go downhill after a couple of seasons. The more creative showrunners escape to new projects hoping to keep up the momentum and establish themselves as hot properties while they're still popular. The people left behind are the lesser talent who were better at taking direction than being creative. In their hands what used to be interesting, multifaceted characters get reduced to a quirk or two and the plots start getting more generic. Finally, once there's nothing good left the show gets canceled and it all starts up again someplace else.

I suppose it's inevitable because everybody has to eat whether you're trying to capitalize on sudden fame or a second-string hack, but it plays hell with shows I like.

But does the creative staff always turn over? On Grey's Anatomy, for example, Shonda Rhimes remains at the helm of that ship. And the show sucks now, IMHO. Although I don't know how involved she is anymore in the GA storylines or the character development. Same thing with Scandal. But the cast talks about how involved Shonda remains in the SHOCKING, TWISTING, and JAW-DROPPING stories on Scandal. It seems like the writers and producers simply run out good ideas for a show after a few years. Or they no longer know what to do with the characters.

• Love 2

Good question. In the case of Shondaland shows her name will always be attached no matter how involved she actually is, but does anyone track who the day-to-day writers are? I admire showrunners who stay involved with or write every damn script, but many get pulled away to helm new stuff and can't spend all that much time with their more mature successes so someone hands the staff writers the show bible and tells them to get on with it. That's where things go wrong, I think.

Showrunners have rich, multifaceted, in-depth visions of their stories and characters, but the staff only knows what they can see. I think they tend to amplify the more obvious character traits and rely on cliched stories that pop up on way too many other shows of the same type. At best it's only maintenance, which isn't good enough. It's easy for involved viewers to tell the difference between inspired and mediocre.

It's not exactly the same thing, but I've worked at software game companies where after a hit product the creators are pressured to use their big juicy brains to come up with new product lines, leaving behind a team to continue the old one. It's never as good and after one or two more titles if they're lucky, the line peters out. The TV creative process seems similar though the wins and losses are more spectacular.

• Love 2

Amazing Grace!!!!!

For the love of all that is holy, TV writers and directors, pick another song once in a while!  It's the only song they ever use. If a choir is singing, it's Amazing Grace. If someone wants to show off their singing off the cuff on some reality piece of crap, it's Amazing Grace.  There. Are. Other. Songs.  

I used to like it, but I swear now every time I hear it AGAIN I want to punch a wall. The sameness of it all is maddening. 

I actually heard a "plain-note" version that was quite nice.  But, guh, yes, that and "Hallelujah" need to be banned forever.

I don't think Amy Poehler is funny.

I'll join you at that table.  I watched a few episodes from season 3 (supposedly the best) and I didn't think it was funny or sweet.  Just yuck.

• Love 1

I don't need a sitcom to be laugh out loud funny.  If it is then that's great, but amusing is enough for me. 

Totally.

And I'll also add that I don't need them to be 'smart' or 'more modern'. There ain't a damn thing wrong with cheesy and family-friendly. Full House still makes me laugh and I don't care who knows it.

• Love 3

To be honest, I have stayed far away from any online discussion of The Oscars because I really have no complaints about them, and people seem to be less and less satisfied every year; every year has the worst host ever, the worst musical numbers, the most unworthy presenters, etc. So, my UO is that The Oscars are still enjoyable and gets more right than it does wrong. Yup.

This. I read some of the Oscars thread as the show was airing cause I always love to hear various opinions but most of the people sounded like they were being forced to watch it. Like you said, they didn't like the host, the numbers, the jokes, and hated how long it was but they still kept watching it even as they said they hated it. If you hate it that much, just turn the channel or go to bed.

And while I do wish he could've done more as a host this time, Neil Patrick Harris will always have my love for the opening number he did at the last Tonys he hosted. His hosting may not stand out amongst other Oscar hosts over the years, but he wasn't as bad as others seem to think.

Edited by ChaseMCP
  • Love 1

I still don't think the second season of Sleepy Hollow was as loathsome as people were screeching about. It wasn't great, but I think this was more of the problem that it's a show good for 10-13 episode seasons, but not 20+. Invariably, you get away from the fundamental core of the show because you have to stretch it out over so much time. 

• Love 6

I still don't think the second season of Sleepy Hollow was as loathsome as people were screeching about. It wasn't great, but I think this was more of the problem that it's a show good for 10-13 episode seasons, but not 20+. Invariably, you get away from the fundamental core of the show because you have to stretch it out over so much time. 

Sleepy Hollow only had 18 episodes and only 2 of them were Abbie, (one of the co-leads) centric while most of the rest were focus on secondary characters, one of which was poorly received the first season and a new guy whose only purpose was to replace a fan-favorite character and be a part of a gross love triangle featuring two sisters. The show was also supposed to be about two witnesses battling evil but that was replaced as well with endless family drama between two chemless characters and their petulant whiny elderly teenaged son. That wasn't a show invariably getting away from its core, it was a deliberate attempt by the showrunner to enforce his muse on the fans and then stated that he was only giving fans what they wanted even though no one asked for it. And fans weren't the only ones unhappy with the turn of events as critics were also calling them out on their b.s. So anyone "screeching" had every right to voice their complaints about the show they fell in love with doing a 180.

• Love 10

I don't believe it was as bad as some people thought, but when it was (all the monotonous Katrina-centric episodes which added nothing to the show and took the focus away from the fundamental core of two witnesses trying to stave off armageddon) it was pretty bloody awful.  And that was a function of the producers and the writers changing the show's focus, not of increasing the number of episodes.

My unpopular SH opinion is that I didn't mind Hawley and didn't think he took away from the main focus too much.  And Katrina could've worked as a character had she been made more morally suspect (and then outright evil) sooner.  But ineffective good witch Katrina and annoying second season Henry just dragged the show down.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 8

I'd suggest that even in S1, TPTBs intended the show to be about Crane Family Drama. This is a good case, however, of knowing the show you have. CFD was the show they wanted, but clearly wasn't the show they had. If there were less episodes, I think they could have shifted the focus better and gotten back to the core of the show. With the extra episodes, it's like, well, let's try this over the next 5 episodes and see where it goes. 

Well, it looks like they're trying to reset it, so if there's an S3, I think it will be good. 

• Love 1

My unpopular opinion? I hate Olivia Benson on Law and Order: SVU. In fact, I hate every character from that show except a handful of the forensic people, DAs, and Munch. I hate them all so much I find myself rooting for the bad guys (a fair number of which are merely antagonists, not the guilty party). Thing is, I don't want to. I try to find reasons to like them.

I mean, I enjoy The Closer/Major Crimes. Many of the problems I have with SVU characters are readily apparent in characters from The Closer/Major Crime. But there is something infinitely more likeable about the Priority Homocide Squad, even when they blatantly break the rules/laws or display personal failings. It probably helps that men don't drool all over Brenda or Sharon like they have never seen a woman before. *eyeroll* Hate Olivia Benson.

Also, I hate fictional mystery shows now. Its always murder. Never a disappearance, kidnapping, or theft, so boring.

Edited by PrincessEnnui
  • Love 4

*deep breath*

I'm already over Empire.

'Bye.

I understand, though my reasons may differ from yours.  I haven't watched the last two episodes, but I could already foresee the trajectory of Cookie (the only character for which I watched the show), and it wasn't one I wanted to watch. So best to keep it moving. Plus, I found the music more engaging than the story.  

I find Gina on Brooklyn Nine Nine hilarious, and other then Andre Braugher, Chelsea Peretti's line deliveries might be my favourite of anyone in the cast.

Gina is my least favorite but I'd actually like her more if the writers stopped trying to add depth to her character and just let her be an awful person.

My unpopular opinion? I hate Olivia Benson on Law and Order: SVU. In fact, I hate every character from that show except a handful of the forensic people, DAs, and Munch. I hate them all so much I find myself rooting for the bad guys (a fair number of which are merely antagonists, not the guilty party). Thing is, I don't want to. I try to find reasons to like them.

I mean, I enjoy The Closer/Major Crimes. Many of the problems I have with SVU characters are readily apparent in characters from The Closer/Major Crime. But there is something infinitely more likeable about the Priority Homocide Squad, even when they blatantly break the rules/laws or display personal failings. It probably helps that men don't drool all over Brenda or Sharon like they have never seen a woman before. *eyeroll* Hate Olivia Benson.

Also, I hate fictional mystery shows now. Its always murder. Never a disappearance, kidnapping, or theft, so boring.

Hee - at this point, I don't think hating Olivia Benson is all that unpopular anymore.  I can't stand her sanctimonious ass.  Love Fin though.

My SVU UO is this: I do not understand the appeal of Barba.  Like, at all.  He's fine in the role, but if he's not in an episode, I'm not all that unhappy.

Oh, and I preferred Casey Novak to Alex.  

• Love 2
My unpopular opinion? I hate Olivia Benson on Law and Order: SVU. In fact, I hate every character from that show except a handful of the forensic people, DAs, and Munch. I hate them all so much I find myself rooting for the bad guys (a fair number of which are merely antagonists, not the guilty party).

I stopped watching "Law and Order: SVU" a long time ago because of Olivia Benson. Specifically, it was an episode in which she overhears a kidnapping, but no one else believes her (I forget how she came to discover it). Throughout the episode, I kept wishing that she was wrong, that it was all a wild goose chase, a waste of the department's money, but no, St. Olivia was right, of course, and saved a little girl.

Now, Chris Meloni can do no wrong, so the darker he made Elliott, the more I liked it. I guess I wanted him to morph into his character from "Oz," because evil Chris Meloni is hawt.

• Love 4

Hee - at this point, I don't think hating Olivia Benson is all that unpopular anymore.  I can't stand her sanctimonious ass.  Love Fin though... Oh, and I preferred Casey Novak to Alex.  

Oh, I know a fair number of people hate Olivia. I am just one of the few trying to move from hate to neutral. Heh. I love Casey. She's my favorite ADA, unless we count Jack McCoy (it's the eyebrows!).

I stopped watching "Law and Order: SVU" a long time ago because of Olivia Benson. Specifically, it was an episode in which she overhears a kidnapping, but no one else believes her (I forget how she came to discover it). Throughout the episode, I kept wishing that she was wrong, that it was all a wild goose chase, a waste of the department's money, but no, St. Olivia was right, of course, and saved a little girl.

I know that stupid, stupid episode! Ugh. She won an emmy for the pandering piece of crap IIRC.

• Love 1

Table for three, please :) I, too, found myself really liking Casey Novak. (She was easily one my favorite SVU characters, if only by sad default!) And I never got the enormous love for Alex Cabot. She was fine and all, but that's about it, at least IMUO.

And as long as I'm being unpopular...I also never saw some great, powerfully passionate bond between Olivia and Alex. Honestly, they never even seemed like especially close friends to me, let alone the would-be soulmates that fans so often make them out to be. 

I always fast forwarded through every single scene with Elliot and his ghastly family. 

Re. original recipe Law and Order: I actually liked Angie Harmon as an ADA a lot. (And I've never especially liked her before or since). I liked Abby just as much as the far more popular Claire, if not more so. 

And I can't even get through an episode of Criminal Intent because Vincent D'nofrio's line readings and facial expressions just irk me beyond the telling of it.  

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 4
I understand, though my reasons may differ from yours.  I haven't watched the last two episodes, but I could already foresee the trajectory of Cookie (the only character for which I watched the show), and it wasn't one I wanted to watch. So best to keep it moving. Plus, I found the music more engaging than the story.

My main reason is that Cookie just wore me out.  I'm much more interested in the other characters and how they interact with Lucious--Vernon, Anika, even Becky and Porsha.  It's just too much Cookie for me. 

Took some time out over the past several minutes to think about what it is about this show that's tiring me out (besides Cookie).  I need to think more about additional reasons, but all I know is that it's like I had an epiphany last night, and then I was done with it.

I'm pretty sure TPH will get an Emmy nod, and there's a good chance she'll win.  However, my other really UO is that I hope she doesn't.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

My unpopular opinion, I am really tired of gay finger pointing particularly when it comes to male reality show contestants. This is especially common every season of The Bachelorette. Guaranteed every new season, there are posts about how half of the guys are "so clearly gay..." and it happens with Survivor and other shows and it is usually based on the most innocuous things. More importantly the reasons given for why it is so obvious often just feeds into stereotypes about gay people. Of course some people are closeted but as far as I'm concerned if some person is on a reality show declaring themselves straight then I respect that especially when I don't know them personally and see a couple of hours of edited footage. 

• Love 10

My UO is the first season is never really a good litmus for a show.  It is the second season that determines what the show is going to be.   If you do not like a show's 2nd season then you will not like the show going further.  I actually liked Scandal's 2nd season more then the first which was a glorified case of the week show whose only draw for me was a woman of color lead.    The second season had at least told an interesting story.  Ok fine the third season went off the rails a bit and the four....oh boy.  But my point still applies.   First season wets the lips the 2nd season is the meal.   

Edited by Chaos Theory

First seasons should really be limited to 8-10 episodes imo. If you can't tell a compelling story over that amount of time, then you're not going to be able to do it for 100+ hours anyway. 

Say what you want about Galactica, but the miniseries *then* regular series was a good model. 

• Love 2
I never, ever, not even for half a second, hated Kat the Pink Power Ranger. In fact, I vastly preferred her to Kimberly, and thought the hate directed towards her was more than a little insane.

Kat was awesome!

The only Power Ranger that ever deserved any hate was Tommy imo. And he probably didn't even deserve it. I'm just very irrational about him and how TPTB turned MMPR into the Tommy show. From the time he came back as the white ranger until about halfway through Zeo, the show was inordinately focused on him.

All of this.

Most of the folks that seem to hate Kat that I've seen were overly-zealous Tommy/Kim shippers. To this day, there are new Kat Bashing stories appearing on Fanfiction.net, written by folks that weren't even alive when the original Power Rangers aired.

....at least, I hope so, 'cuz 20 years of shipper hate like that is just all kinds of WTF.

Okay. Here's a big one. It's about a movie but it's inspired by the currently airing episode of the Goldbergs. Ready?

Ferris Bueller's Day Off? Just okay.

I'll see myself out.

I'll go with you!

I feel the same about Ghostbusters. Hadn't seen it in years and only had vague memories of the cartoon, so I watched it one day. It was one big "Meh" moments, and I'm scratching my head as to why this would possibly merit an all-female remake.

• Love 2
I feel the same about Ghostbusters. Hadn't seen it in years and only had vague memories of the cartoon, so I watched it one day. It was one big "Meh" moments, and I'm scratching my head as to why this would possibly merit an all-female remake.

Don't get me started on doing gender-flipping remakes. I've seen something about them wanting to do it with MacGuyver.

I'm a woman, and I don't see a need for it, nor would it make me more interested making these characters women. If that makes me a traitor to my gender or anti-feminist or whatever then so be it!

Remakes/Reboots in general are just kinda pissing me off lately. Is the entertainment industry that creatively sapped that that's all they can come up, with along with sequels/prequels?

• Love 9

Remakes/Reboots in general are just kinda pissing me off lately. Is the entertainment industry that creatively sapped that that's all they can come up, with along with sequels/prequels?

Thank you! I think it is lazy beyond belief. Oh, it's a fun conceit sometimes, and it's fine and dandy when it's done well (the American House of Cards, for instance) but lately I feel we've been bombarded with mediocre, unnecessary reboots and the like, and I'm tired of it.

Duck Tales? Great show back in the day, but why a reboot? If kids today (God, I'm getting old) want to watch it, what's stopping them from getting the DVDs from Netflix? Or checking out the numerous TV sites that undoubtedly stream episodes? It's not broken, don't fix it. No one asked for it, so why bother?

Likewise, Boy Meets World was a merely okay, white bread, middle of the road sitcom that had its time in the sun, why do we need a show about Cory and Topanga's kid? Who cares? It sure doesn't say much about Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel that they can't move on in their careers from characters they played when they were friggin' children. Not that I ever thought they'd conquer Shakespeare or Beckett, but still...

Most of the folks that seem to hate Kat that I've seen were overly-zealous Tommy/Kim shippers. To this day, there are new Kat Bashing stories appearing on Fanfiction.net, written by folks that weren't even alive when the original Power Rangers aired.

I honestly can't decide which is more disturbing: the idea that the younger generation just unquestioningly joins the Kat hate train despite not even being a sparkle in their parents' eyes when she was on the show, or the idea of not-getting-any-younger adults still carrying the torch of hatred for a fictional character*. I've read some of the anti-Kat stories ('cause I have no life) and I find them not only badly written (natch), but despicable. One story had Kat accuse Tommy of still loving Kim, and Tommy's gallant response? He threatens to "kick [Kat's] ass". And, no, he is not framed as the bad guy in this scenario. The story ends with him back with Kim, happily ever after.

Yeah. Fucked up stuff out there.

*Okay, at the risk of being hypocritical, I admit I still hate Dawn from Buffy, but I almost never think about her or the show anymore, and I'm sure as hell not going to vent my seething hatred in fanfiction.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 3

I'm afraid of what they're gonna do to Duck Tales. I don't like my childhood cartoons being taken and 'updated' and 'modernized'. I know it's the nostalgia goggles talking, but you can't improve upon perfection, so stop ruining things! The animation style for the new TMNT cartoon has already traumatized me enough. :P

I suppose I just have to take a step back and realize that I'm no longer the target audience and what matters (to the TV Execs anyway) is that today's children like it.

Edited by Gumdrops
  • Love 4

But is something like the Duck Tales remake supposed to target young kids today or the twenty/thirty somethings who watched it back in the day? The problem with updating something is that you probably alienate the original audience who is still enamored with memories of the original and the current target audience may or may not even want it in the first place. Back when I was little, I remember watching stuff like the Flintstones, the Jetsons, and Scooby Doo in syndication and not giving a rip that I was watching 20 year old cartoons. I just knew I liked it. Do they even show Looney Tunes anymore? What's wrong with introducing today's current kids to the original episodes and seeing how that goes over? Plus, you're more likely to pull in the youngest Gen Xers/Oldest Millenials who want to hop on board that nostalgia train. Now, you kids take your new Duck Tales and your scary looking Ninja Turtles and get off my lawn!

On a separate note, if loving Casey Novak on SVU is unpopular then I will gladly stay here on my island of misfit toys.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 4

Although I was more of a Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Ranger fan, I recognize Duck Tales being a standout show by 80s cartoon standards. It managed to last four seasons, which is still rare for any cartoon that isn't part of Japan's Shounen Jump anime line up or the My Little Pony reboot.

I'm not completely anti-reboot--again, the new MLP show makes effort to give their characters story arcs and obstacles to overcome--but I guess it comes down to Kiddo's question about who this is being targeted at. Like many of you, I just saw cartoons, and didn't give a rip that it was produced before I was born or, in the case of the Flinstones, was targeted for adults. The show is about anthrophormatic ducks living with their uncle that's richer than Jesus and having a shit ton of adventures. Not sure why else Disney would need to update it, except to grab money from the older folks for nostalgia.

Edited by Anna Yolei

Dude, Disney Afternoons was the bomb back in the day. Duck Tales, Tale Spin, Goof Troop, Chip N Dale, Gummi Bears, Darkwing Duck...

Remember all those catchy, awesome theme songs?

I think it's very possible for older shows to catch on with the younger generation. I know my nephews and nieces enjoy the older Scooby Doo and Pink Panther cartoons. I was babysitting my nephews one day and they were playing games and I happened to be watching Saved By The Bell. They all kinda wandered into the living room and all 3 of them ended up sitting there watching and enjoying the show with me. That show seems to get all generations though. I remember that my mother and even grandmother liked it.

* I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I really lament the loss of the theme song. I know it's not a completely dead thing, but it seems to be nothing more than an afterthought nowadays, for the most part. I love when a show has such a catchy or great theme that when someone mentions the show, you automatically start hearing the theme playing in your head.

Edited by Gumdrops
  • Love 4

Saw an ad that said Saturday USA will be Munch-centric. They may have used the term Munchathon.
  • Love 3