Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

When I'm watching a show that is older when I see a kid being grounded it kinda takes me out for a second because I think do kids still get grounded? 

I know some teenagers who were grounded in the last year or so. I used to work with one of them, and then she stopped coming to work. She'd been lying to her parents about having a boyfriend, and when she got caught, her entire existence was basically grounded minus school. Her mom took all her electronics and pretty much any extracurricular anything was verboten. It lasted for about 7-8 months. Basically the entire school year. Other kids would come in and talk about it. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, Zella said:

I know some teenagers who were grounded in the last year or so. I used to work with one of them, and then she stopped coming to work. She'd been lying to her parents about having a boyfriend, and when she got caught, her entire existence was basically grounded minus school. Her mom took all her electronics and pretty much any extracurricular anything was verboten. It lasted for about 7-8 months. Basically the entire school year. Other kids would come in and talk about it. 

Wow. That’s some way to permanently damage your relationship with your child. Assume this was only the tip of the iceberg, too. 

grounding for a weekend might be different. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 4
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Since it won a bunch of awards and the only complaining about that I saw here was that it was in the wrong category, not that it wasn't an excellent show, this is apparently quite the UO:  I find The Bear unwatchable.  I tried for 3-1/2 episodes last night and bailed.  I dislike (and in the case of Richie, outright despise) all the characters except Sydney, but she says "like" and/or "uh" in practically every sentence she utters, so I can't enjoy her.

I somehow made it through the first season and a couple of episodes in season two, but I also found the show unwatchable. It's just too stressful and I did not connect to the characters in any way to want to continue to watch. I really do not care if Carmy's restaurant is a success or really anything about Ritchie. I will say the show is well acted and I want to see Ayo in other roles, just not Sydney.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Since it won a bunch of awards and the only complaining about that I saw here was that it was in the wrong category, not that it wasn't an excellent show, this is apparently quite the UO:  I find The Bear unwatchable.  I tried for 3-1/2 episodes last night and bailed.  I dislike (and in the case of Richie, outright despise) all the characters except Sydney, but she says "like" and/or "uh" in practically every sentence she utters, so I can't enjoy her.

You got further than I did, I bailed after 2 episodes & didn't enjoy 1 second of it.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Affogato said:

Wow. That’s some way to permanently damage your relationship with your child. Assume this was only the tip of the iceberg, too. 

grounding for a weekend might be different. 

We all thought it was excessive and counterproductive too, but we also stayed out of it. I think there might be some cultural issues at play because the mother is not from the US. In any event, I have wondered what their relationship is like now. 

• Like 3
(edited)
6 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Did you all call it 'on groundation?' 

LOL No we did not. A missed oppurtunity.

But we did predict that the situation would end poorly but not exactly the way it blew up. The kid in question announced one day she had a secret boyfriend, and we all repeated his name to her before she told us. She was shocked we already knew and wondered if someone had told us. And we were like, "Girl, we old ladies in our thirties know how teenagers act in when they're in love." And she was still astonished! 😂😂😂 She was a sweet kid and actually really smart too, but they had terrible operation security. Honestly, I'm surprised they weren't caught sooner. My only comment about it--and I know I am not the only one--is I did try to tell her that lying to her mother was probably not going to end well. Again I didn't anticipate how bad the reaction would be, but I have wondered if the fact she lied is part of why it was so severe. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 3
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

but I have wondered if the fact she lied is part of why it was so severe. 

Speaking as the mother of former teenagers - yes.  I never grounded my kids, least of all for 8 months.  But they always knew that lying was (short of murder or armed robbery) going to get them in a lot more trouble than whatever they had actually done.

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, Zella said:

but I have wondered if the fact she lied is part of why it was so severe. 

13 minutes ago, Dimity said:

Speaking as the mother of former teenagers - yes.  I never grounded my kids, least of all for 8 months.  But they always knew that lying was (short of murder or armed robbery) going to get them in a lot more trouble than whatever they had actually done.

Speaking as a mother and now a grandmother yes the lying is going to make it worse.  I was not an overly strict parent. I had always told my son he could come to me with anything and we would deal with it. My son became an addict so that complicated things because addicts lie like they breathe.  For me the worst part of my son lying to me was "do you think I'm stupid? feeling. I was personally insulted when he would tell me an obvious lie. 

• Like 5
(edited)
On 7/9/2024 at 10:50 AM, Dimity said:

My mother never grounded me because, among other reasons, I wouldn't have cared.  Now if she'd taken away all my books that would have been a real consequence! 

It reminds me of the Middle when Mike tells Axl to go to his room. Then he remembers Axl likes his room and makes him goes to his sister's room instead. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 5
  • LOL 4
On 6/15/2024 at 2:01 PM, BlueSkies said:

Seinfeld is about as average a show I can ever think of.  I didn't think it was bad but I never really loved it either.  Though I'd say the last episode might be my favorite episode I still recall.  

I found Seinfeld mildly amusing in the early seasons, but it got progressively more mean spirited and all the way to nasty, cruel.  I stopped watching when George's fiancée died.  I watched the final episode which should have been satisfyingly that they got their comeuppance, but I didn't care by that time.  Too little, too late.

• Like 4
On 7/10/2024 at 1:49 PM, andromeda331 said:

It reminds me of the Middle when Mike tells Axl to go to his room. Then he remembers Axl likes his room and makes him goes to his sister's room instead. 

I’ve never watched that show, but I remember my sister recommending it. 

I can’t remember being grounded, because I rarely got into trouble.  I would look uncomfortable and laugh, knowing I hadn’t done anything, because I hate being put on the spot like that.  Mum always knew how to tell. I would get into trouble for being messy, and leaving things all over the counters.  Mum would tell me to put them away, or they’d be thrown away the next morning.  

• Like 2

I have no idea how unpopular these opinions are, but:

I've finally started enjoying NCIS a lot more now that Tony* is gone. I liked Ziva, but I don't miss her. I really like the new crew of Ellie, Alex and Nick. 

*What really bothered me about the writing for Tony is that when he was being serious, kind, and understanding,  I liked him a lot. I didn't mind the movie trivia, except that many times it came off as silly, and don't get me started on the way he was with women in general. 

• Like 8
On 6/30/2024 at 2:49 PM, Blergh said:

Miss Blondell responded to Lucy's  criticism of the performance she  had just given  with '[BLANK] you, Lucille Ball!'  in front of the entire crew and studio audience then immediately walking off never to return!

For some reason just the other day I saw a YouTube of a Johnny Carson where the guest was Lucille Ball, and she seemed like a terrible person who thought she was royalty (if not God) and I could read his mind, which said "I'm never having this ***** on this show again."

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
44 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but in what universe is The Bear a comedy?

That is far from an unpopular opinion even people who love the show know it is not truly a comedy. It is a comedy for awards purposes because the various awards organizations classify comedies and dramas based on their episode lengths. Comedies have a 30 minute runtime while dramas are all one hour long. The first season of The Bear had 30 minute episodes, so it qualified as a comedy last year. I know the episodes in Season 2 were longer and I guess the show could have moved into the drama category, but the Emmys are allowing them to still submit in the comedy category.

I do hate that it is in the comedy category because I do feel it's a slap in the face of all the other shows that intended to be comedies. For me, what constitutes a comedy is intent. The showrunners, writers, and actors of What We Do in the Shadows intend to write a series full of various jokes. Nowhere in the process of creating The Bear did the writers, directors, and actors intend to write jokes. There are jokes there and some light moments, but those are not the focus in the writing, direction, or acting in any given episode. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 7
5 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I do hate that it is in the comedy category because I do feel it's a slap in the face of all the other shows that intended to be comedies. For me, what constitutes a comedy is intent.

It really annoys me that Ghosts, an actually very funny comedy, gets no nominations when a show which is clearly not a comedy hogs them all in that category.

• Like 5
  • Applause 6
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

It really annoys me that Ghosts, an actually very funny comedy, gets no nominations when a show which is clearly not a comedy hogs them all in that category.

I completely agree about Ghosts and I will add Young Sheldon in here as well.  It had slipped a bit in the last few years but this past season it was back to being classic comedy and went out on a very high note.  As far as I've noted neither comedy got nominated in any category - happy to be corrected if this isn't the case.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

There are jokes there and some light moments, but those are not the focus in the writing, direction, or acting in any given episode. 

I can't speak to "The Bear", as I've not seen the show, but yeah, on a general level, just because a show has funny moments in it that doesn't automatically make it a comedy. 

I also feel like there's a difference between the kind of comedy that might elicit an amused chuckle and the kind of comedy that has you full on belly laughing. Not to say shows with the former can't be comedies, but it does seem shows like that aren't usually what most people think of right away when they hear the word "comedy"> 

• Like 3

After reading that they should just change the categories to 30 minute shows & 60 minute shows and be honest about it as most people wouldn't have the faintest idea of why it's nominated where it is.

I tried watching the Bear  but gave up after 2 whole episodes I thought it was so bad.

• Like 4
(edited)

Or maybe remove the time limit restriction and submit a show based on whether it's a comedy or a drama to that category? But then, the voters probably still wouldn't get it right, as in the case of The Bear, why are people voting for it as a comedy when it clearly isn't regardless of how long each episode is?

I mean remember back in the day you had Ally McBeal, which was an hour long show but was nominated in the comedy categories for both the Emmy and Golden Globe Awards...even if it at times it was more of a dramedy than outright comedy.

Edited by Palimelon
  • Like 2
53 minutes ago, Palimelon said:

I mean remember back in the day you had Ally McBeal, which was an hour long show but was nominated in the comedy categories for both the Emmy and Golden Globe Awards...even if it at times it was more of a dramedy than outright come

Ally McBeal did in fact win an Emmy and two Golden Globes for Best Comedy.  And I can understand that.  The show was meant to be clever. And it was.  It did make you laugh. It was intended to make you laugh.  It did have some serious dramatic elements as well but it never would have won awards as Best Drama because if I'm a voter I'm thinking it's too silly. But as a comedy I'm thinking it's great. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Palimelon said:

Or maybe remove the time limit restriction and submit a show based on whether it's a comedy or a drama to that category? But then, the voters probably still wouldn't get it right, as in the case of The Bear, why are people voting for it as a comedy when it clearly isn't regardless of how long each episode is?

Because none of the various organizations that hand out these awards enforce a rule that says those voting must actually watch all the submitted reels before voting. People vote based on the shows they hear are good or don't watch but know they are supposed to have seen. This is also why studios spend money on PR campaigns during the voting period. They need their shows and actors in the minds of eligible voters when the ballots are out. 

• Like 3

I don't think this is unpopular per se, but since we're talking about Ally McBeal, I was a casual watcher, but I will always love it for introducing the mainstream to one Josh Groban.

'nuff said.

• Like 1

The show was meant to be clever. And it was.  It did make you laugh. It was intended to make you laugh.  It did have some serious dramatic elements as well but it never would have won awards as Best Drama because if I'm a voter I'm thinking it's too silly. But as a comedy I'm thinking it's great. 

Oh I'm not disputing that. My point was, even though the show was longer than 30 minutes, viewers still rightfully saw it as more of a comedy than a drama. Unlike The Bear, which despite being a 30 minute show, isn't a comedy.

Because none of the various organizations that hand out these awards enforce a rule that says those voting must actually watch all the submitted reels before voting.

Clearly more Emmy members aren't watching if they keep voting for shows like The Bear as a comedy in all the categories it is in.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Palimelon said:

Clearly more Emmy members aren't watching if they keep voting for shows like The Bear as a comedy in all the categories it is in.

No they are not, and historically that has been the case for the Primetime Emmys much like the Grammys. I really am not that surprised that FX and Hulu are gaming the system here because this is not the first time networks have done this nor will it be the last unless the Emmys decide to overhaul their nomination requirements. The Bear is also benefitting from their release schedule where the next season is getting released right when nominations come out for the previous one. As opposed to shows like What We Do in the Shadows or Reservation Dogs whose episodes aired last fall. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 7/18/2024 at 7:59 AM, Crashcourse said:

I watched season 1 and I thought it was an awful drama, and I didn't like any of the characters.

Why would you watch the whole season?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

This way if someone throws "Why did you stop, it gets better and you will enjoy it!" at you, you can legitimately throw back "No it didn't, and no I did not" back at them.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Palimelon said:

I mean remember back in the day you had Ally McBeal, which was an hour long show but was nominated in the comedy categories for both the Emmy and Golden Globe Awards...even if it at times it was more of a dramedy than outright comedy.

Monk was also a comedy although it was an hour long as well. Tony Shalhoub won an Emmy for Best actor in a comedy.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Because none of the various organizations that hand out these awards enforce a rule that says those voting must actually watch all the submitted reels before voting.

Sure.  There's some of that.  But I also think voters just don't care.  They like the show and since the Television Academy has accepted its submissions as a comedy, they vote for it to support it even if everyone involved has miscategorized it.  (Or maybe not depending on whatever the rules are.) 

As I said above, I like The Bear but I hate that it's included in comedy because  I think anything with a more dramatic angle tends to get more awards respect than anything comedic.  Just look at Oscar nominations where everything is lumped together.  It's a bit of a miracle if anything coming from a comedy movie gets a nomination. I feel that same drama bias impacts who people vote for Emmys, even in the comedy category. 

I find that sad because making people half just seems to be harder. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Submitting The Bear as a comedy is as simple as the producers being confident they'd win.  And they did.  There's so much tougher competition in the drama category.  It's a blurred line with a show does have it's (weirdly) funny moments.  For example, I get nominating Jamie Lee Curtis in the comedy category because her character has been so wackadoodle and she's much more likely to win by calling it a comedic performance than a dramatic one.  I imagine a show's producers have to stick to either comedy or drama for any submissions, they can't nominate across lines.

There's so much tougher competition in the drama category.

Indeed, probably why Ryan Murphy and co. kept submitting American Horror Story in the miniseries category year after year rather than in the drama category.

• Like 1

Cheers as a show just doesn’t interest me to watch.

I was never a big bar person but my experience in bars where “everybody knows your name” are often rather cliquey and not the most friendly to outsiders.  

• Like 2
On 7/18/2024 at 11:51 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I do hate that it is in the comedy category because I do feel it's a slap in the face of all the other shows that intended to be comedies. For me, what constitutes a comedy is intent. The showrunners, writers, and actors of What We Do in the Shadows intend to write a series full of various jokes. Nowhere in the process of creating The Bear did the writers, directors, and actors intend to write jokes. There are jokes there and some light moments, but those are not the focus in the writing, direction, or acting in any given episode. 

This is where I am.  I love the show and think the acting is stellar.  But it is not a comedy.

Comedy is hard enough to get real respect from critics and voters -- witness how very few comic films or performances get Oscar recognition.  And even worse, comedy is harder to write and act, imo, than drama.  You really have to be able to make people consistently laugh, jokes have a rhythm that requires a set up and a payoff, sometimes in just one line.  And good comedy acting requires a specific type of timing. 

So yeah, the Bear being in the comedy categories is most definitely gaming the syste imo. Also how do you judge some of those really fraught, emotional moments against, say, the characters on Abbott Elementary having running a silly obstacle race? (which was hysterical, btw).    And more importantly, it sucking up all the slots in the comedy categories mean that excellent, legitimate shows and actors (like Ghosts and Renee Elise Goldsberry, for instance) get squeezed out. 

I am glad more and more people are giving it the side-eye.  So much more than last year.

• Like 9

A while back we discussed Phoebe and Mike's relationship on Friends. My UO is a revelation I just had: I don't think Phoebe "settled" at all. To me, it's only settling if one (or both) in the relationship sees it that way. Viewers didn't like Mike and that's absolutely fine, but I never, ever got the impression that Phoebe was just staying with Mike because she had no other options. Remember, she had the opportunity to get back with David... but she didn't want him anymore. Phoebe may have still been eccentric and "floopy", but her priorities and needs changed, and David couldn't fulfill what she now wanted. Mike could, and that's why she chose him. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Palimelon said:

Really? I always thought he was well received.

I liked him but I didn't think he had chemistry with Phoebe.  IMO they didn't click the way Ross and Rachel and Chandler and Monica did. 

Not sure if this is unpopular or not but I never liked Phoebe and I never understood why the others put up with her.

• Like 11
2 hours ago, Dimity said:

Not sure if this is unpopular or not but I never liked Phoebe and I never understood why the others put up with her.

That isn't unpopular with me.  As Rachel said in one episode Phoebe lifts right out. When I watched on a weekly basis Phoebe didn't bug me that much but watching it in reruns and a complete rewatch about five years was too much Phoebe.  She was I think supposed to be comic relief but a lot of her antics were mean spirited. I love Lisa Kudrow and I think in another actress's hands Phoebe would have been even more unlikable.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Dimity said:

I think she's one of the characters that are bearable in small doses. If you remember that the entire series covered 10 years, ok. But in a binge-watch, it sure must be a lot.

• Like 4