Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 03/14/16

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Monday 3/14:  Former MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry in her first television interview since leaving the cable network; “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices, hosted by contributor Stacy London.

Tuesday 3/15:  Univision anchor Jorge Ramos (“Take a Stand”); Sally Field (“Hello, My Name is Doris”).

Wednesday 3/16: Former Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele joins the Hot Topics table to talk about the Florida and Ohio primaries.

Thursday 3/17: Melissa Rauch (“The Bronze,” “The Big Bang Theory”).

Friday 3/18: "The View's" exclusive interview with legendary actress Sophia Loren; Holly Robinson Peete & Rodney Peete (“For Peete's Sake”).

• Love 1

Sally Field's interview should be great. She kissed Colbert lengthily on his show the other night and he confessed he had a crush on her when he was a youngster. Sweet.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 4

I'n curious what Jorge Ramos has to say.

Wasn't that long ago he was evicted from a Trump press conference.

They may ask him about the Democratic debate that was held on Univision last week. But I wouldn't be surprised if they asked him about the time Drumpf had him evicted.

I really like MHP - but when I've watched she is into other issues - which are important.

Plus she is a working professor (and mother of a preteen), I really doubt this show is the right venue for what she contributes.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 2

Melissa Harris-Perry's lisp drives me nuts, because I'm immature like that.  I'm interested in what she has to say and if it was really worth it to burn the bridge at MSNBC.  The way she took it to the streets with MSNBC probably doesn't look good to ABC, especially on a dysfunctional set like The View.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 4

Loved Michelle being on Paula's case this morning. Yes, Paula, how would you know the violent protesters only represent a minority of Trump supporters?

I realized how much Whoopi gets on my nerves during the Harris-Perry interview. She always interrupts with a question, which is fine, but then she takes forever to even get it out of her mouth and half of the time doesn't even put it into coherent words. I always feel like a minute or more has been wasted for Whoopi's delayed, garbled questions to finally be spit out. And the same thing during hot topics. Even when I agree with what she's saying, she takes so long to get it out and brings everything to a complete stop.

Henry Cavill is gorgeous. That is all.

• Love 8

Melissa Harris-Perry just seems like an idiot to me, and I think Paula was against her too.  She had a great opportunity and could have just waited it out instead of harming her career like this.  The use of mammy also wasn't a good idea.

• Love 3

Melissa Harris-Perry just seems like an idiot to me, and I think Paula was against her too.  She had a great opportunity and could have just waited it out instead of harming her career like this.  The use of mammy also wasn't a good idea.

Why do you think so? I've never heard 'MHP' and 'idiot' in the same sentence before. I haven't watched the episode yet (I'm at work), but now you've got me chomping at the bit to get home and fire up my TiVo. 

Again, I haven't seen the interview yet, so I'm not sure how much she was able to discuss how toxic the environment at MSNBC has been for many people--for a long while, it seems.

• Love 2
Melissa Harris-Perry just seems like an idiot to me,

She's actually quite brilliant, although she has said some dumb things.

and I think Paula was against her too.

I'm sure that's because MHP didn't consult her husband, the leader before she left MSNBC.

• Love 7

I left with RO and just happened to channel surf into the end this morning.  WOW, I didn't know anyone but Joy and Whoopi.  Happy to see they got their good tall table back.  : )

I wasn't aware of the MSNBC controversy, but if she's "taking it to the street," she needs to work on whittling those long explanation responses down by a couple of minutes per.

Both women on the Good Deal segment "LITERALLY!" made me cringe.

Hi and 'bye.

• Love 2

Melissa Harris-Perry's lisp drives me nuts, because I'm immature like that.  I'm interested in what she has to say and if it was really worth it to burn the bridge at MSNBC.  The way she took it to the streets with MSNBC probably doesn't look good to ABC, especially on a dysfunctional set like The View.

That's a really good point and I doubt ABC is looking at her for this show or that she would be interested.  Like topanga, I haven't watched the show yet but now I'm going to need to tune in - if for nothing else than to see why MHP was even on this show.  

Paula is the idiot. MHP is a Professor - she doesn't need her MSNBC job. It was just a bonus.

• Love 7

Sunny gets the prize for Most Reasonable during "hot topics" from me today.  I'm starting to look forward to her being at the table.

Watching Miss Know-It-All Whoopi argue points of law with Sunny was hilarious. I can tell Sunny has small children because her patience seems unending.   But my favorite part today was when Miss Whoopi said, "Sometimes power can make a person think they are omnipotent" while talking over everyone else, without any sense of irony at all.  At. All.  Haha

I thought MHP did a great job of explaining a complicated situation in a few minutes including why she released the entire email after part of it was leaked and exactly what mammy means in a historical context.  And  I appreciated the contrast between her decision to leave MSNBC rather than compromise her show and the previous segment where Whoopi reminded us she will do anything for a good paycheck.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 20

Sunny gets the prize for Most Reasonable during "hot topics" from me today.  I'm starting to look forward to her being at the table.

Watching Miss Know-It-All Whoopi argue points of law with Sunny was hilarious. I can tell Sunny has small children because her patience seems unending.   But my favorite part today was when Miss Whoopi said, "Sometimes power can make a person think they are omnipotent" [paraphrased] while talking over everyone else without any sense of irony at all.  At. All.  Haha

I thought MHP did a great job of explaining a complicated situation in a few minutes including why she released the entire email after part of it was leaked and exactly what mammy means in a historical context.  And  I appreciated the contrast between her decision to leave MSNBC rather than compromise her show and the previous segment where Whoopi reminded us she will do anything for a good paycheck.

Agree 1000x!  I too thought Sunny was so cool in her response and you could tell Miss Whoopi wanted to argue with her and Sunny shut her down so professionally.  I LMAO when Miss Whoopi said what power can do to a person thinking pot meet kettle!  

• Love 9

Why do you think so? I've never heard 'MHP' and 'idiot' in the same sentence before. I haven't watched the episode yet (I'm at work), but now you've got me chomping at the bit to get home and fire up my TiVo.

I mean in this particular situation, not in general.  It's an election year and people want to watch Trump's antics and not discuss the racial implications of a Beyonce video.  She could have gotten the show back when things calmed down, and going public against a former employer is just dumb in any situation.

• Love 1

Right, doesn't Whoopsi listen to herself at the top of (every) show!? Sunni is a lawyer. She really can't fool us with her pontificating on the law against Sunni.

Also... Madonna meltdown? Dad-chelor party? Can they stop promoting these awful hot topics they never (thankfully) get too?

And love the irony of Whoop talking about doing a job just for the cash...

Do wish they would bring up that Rosie saw all these traits in Trump years ago... If BW was still there she totally would be exploiting that.

I liked the 5some on the panel today... Good mix.

Edited by geekburger
  • Love 4

If I had to deal with Paula, I think I'd scream. Her face has a look of pure condescension when she argues her point. It's infuriating!

Since she mostly directs this at Whoopi, I don't mind too much.  

Also... Madonna meltdown? Dad-chelor party? Can they stop promoting these awful hot topics they never (thankfully) get too?

Hey, I forgot about that!  It's not like they just announced it at the opening but again as they went to a commercial break.  I think they plan 10 topics when they really only have time for two - especially with five people at the table, but I agree they need to stop promoting it.  

• Love 2

Oh Fucking Jeebus Cripes on a Cracker!

SHUT UP!!! Paula!!! She just has to try and say and convince the others, by defending Drumpf that his violent supporters are "just a minority" or that it's only  a teeny tiny, itsy bitsy witsy number of people who are violent. Riiight.  Or how she was trying to justify that he isn't a liar, by saying "everyone lies!" Did she watch Real Time With Bill Maher last Friday and see that Mehta said the same thing and just decided to steal it? Makes her look like a MORON. Yes, politicians lie. But can you out and out PROVE said lies, like you can those of Drumpf? How he doesn't incite or condone violence? Doesn't tell his followers to do such shit. And then, when Paula is SHOWN that he does EXACTLY THAT, she's still saying he doesn't lie?! Or how everything he said about "his" wine, magazine, steaks, businesses, were LIES? And they were proven to be lies? (*Y_($^%_W*)RYT_$RT%R*RY(_@$&T%$^%^Y+#Q%^+^%#&*RU!!!!!!!!

Funny. I thought that if you yelled FIRE! in a crowded theatre, that it was illegal and you could get in trouble. I'm going to have to look that up. I really loved how calm Sunny was today, and her hair is starting to look good like it used to, there's that. Yes, I can be shallow! Anyhoo, what I do wish she would have added was, that sure, that asshole, or any asshole can say whatever they want, spew whatever hate speech they want, BUT, those actions have CONSEQUENCES.

I really liked Melissa Harris-Perry today. And SHUT IT, Paula. Not only was Melissa's show cancelled, but those of all the other POC's shows.  And that MSNBC, like everyfuckingchannel, is Drumpf all the TIME!

• Love 10

I mean in this particular situation, not in general. It's an election year and people want to watch Trump's antics and not discuss the racial implications of a Beyonce video. She could have gotten the show back when things calmed down, and going public against a former employer is just dumb in any situation.

I so agree. MHP was too arrogant to wait awhile and let the election news take precedent over her very important self, I mean, show. Hubris camouflaged in social justice and moral outrage. I think she wanted the attention, although it's the proverbial cutting off your nose to spite your face. TV is powerful for getting your message out.

Sometimes book -smart people are not good at reading the real world bec real life is messy, disagreeable, and the hero doesn't always get what he/she wants-- more than what he/she needs. However, MHP has alot going for her, so she'll probably launch a new Internet show.

Joy was awesome today.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 3

I liked the 5some on the panel today... Good mix.

I agree. I would like if we had these five every day. It feels like Michelle has really stepped it up in her past three appearances. You gotta make it work when you're there, Michelle. There may be no more chances after July...

• Love 4

I mean in this particular situation, not in general.  It's an election year and people want to watch Trump's antics and not discuss the racial implications of a Beyonce video.  She could have gotten the show back when things calmed down, and going public against a former employer is just dumb in any situation.

But that's just it. MHP's show was a news show. She covered politics, international evens, natural disasters, social justice issues, and yes, sometimes she talked about pop culture or sports. But always in the context of how these topics affect American society at large and how they affect people of color and other disenfranchised groups who might not have a voice in the media. 

I agree with Cosmocrush that her explanation was thoughtful, intelligent, and as concise as she could make such a complex issue. College professors like to talk, and she's no exception, but everything she said was interesting. And yes, her lisp does bug me a little bit, but I've accepted it the way I do Michael Strahan's gap. It's just part of who they are. 

• Love 12

I usually listen more than I watch but I happened to look up just as Whoopi began to disagree with Paula about something.  Paula had a smirk on her face and rolled her eyes like she was thinking "here it comes."  She is obviously on to the fact that Whoopi will argue with her about anything she says.  This makes me wonder if Paula is deliberately poking the bear.

• Love 8

Im referring to a political clip they showed on Monday's show. Forgive me. Im a doofus. Can you guys help me with this? OK... let's say a person is an R and votes for someone R who is NOT Trump as the R nom in the primaries etc. THen that person loses. Let's say Trump is then the R nom. (EEK!) Can that same voter then vote for Hilary in the presidential election? ..i.e... change parties? I thought some states had some law that if you vote R in the primary, then that's it for you.. R... Iow, it stops people from deliberately voting in an unpopular person in the party of their opposition. I did not say that well, but you get my drift. It kind of touches on the point that dude in that clip (Rubio?) was saying. HE did not want to say that he'd support Trump even though he is a R. He looked pained and I totally get it.

Edited by ari333

In most states, you can only vote in a primary if you are affiliated with a party. You cannot vote if you are an independent and if you are registered as an r you can only vote in a r primary. I think there are a few states that allow cross party voting in primaries. In the general election you can vote for anyone you want to regardless of your party affiliation.

• Love 1

I live in IN and can vote in either party's primary. I just need to tell the election official which ballot I'd like. They don't ask you for any documentation (other than ID) so it's possible for independents and cross voters to vote however they wish. (True confession, I've cross voted in the primary to help eliminate someone I found especially repugnant.). How one votes in the primary bears no relation on how you may end up voting in the general. No one is checking up on how you are registered vs how you vote. That would be illegal.

That will be interesting in Nov if it's Hillary vs Trump. Both are pretty polarizing even within their parties so will people hold their noses and stick with their candidate? Will they cross parties? Or will they stay home?

How is Sally Field staying so young?

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

I just finally added "partnered with vendors" to my "phrases that make me puke" list.Stacy London's over the top orgasmic description of these bargain basement/failed Shark Tank items, along with her arm flapping are laughable. She belongs more on QVC (maybe she could "partner" with Elizabeth?). Oh, and i fantasize that some cool person in hair and makeup covers her skunk streak without her noticing it!

• Love 5

In most states, you can only vote in a primary if you are affiliated with a party. You cannot vote if you are an independent and if you are registered as an r you can only vote in a r primary. I think there are a few states that allow cross party voting in primaries. In the general election you can vote for anyone you want to regardless of your party affiliation.

I don't want to belabor and if I need to belabor I"ll move to small talk, but I still dont get it. If someone can vote for whoever of either any party in the final election, then what's to stop people from, in the primary,  grouping and voting in some doof in the opposing party so that they lose in the final election? Im clearly missing   something or over thinking it :-) For example, If I were R who voted for a Non-Trump in a primary, there is no way I could support that Trump if he ends up as the nom . If he wins he will humiliate the whole country and do who knows what kind of damage. (imo)    

• Love 1

It was mentioned above what I was trying to say... voting fro someone as in.. essentially voting against someone else who you find repugnant. ... or trying to vote IN a loser doofus on purpose as the nom in the primary so your real choice (the other party) can have a better chance at a win. Oh, let me shutty. :-)

Im so sick of Raven Bow

I wish talented Raven would buy herself an art shop/studio and go do her amazing art.... elsewhere... LEAVE.

I find it absurd that a man has to ask any parent of an adult woman if he can marry her.   

• Love 5

It was mentioned above what I was trying to say... voting fro someone as in.. essentially voting against someone else who you find repugnant. ... or trying to vote IN a loser doofus on purpose as the nom in the primary so your real choice (the other party) can have a better chance at a win. Oh, let me shutty. :-)

Nothing really other than it would take an awful lot of time, organizing and cooperation to create that kind of voting bloc. On the other hand, I think we learned from the Gore/Bush election that the electoral college determines the President anyway.

• Love 1

Nothing really other than it would take an awful lot of time, organizing and cooperation to create that kind of voting bloc. On the other hand, I think we learned from the Gore/Bush election that the electoral college determines the President anyway.

In that case, it was really the Supreme Court who appointed the President [ Bush v Gore]

ari, it might help to remember that primary elections (where, who, how many, how delegates are won, etc)  are determined by the political parties. For example, Super Tuesday in 2012 looked different than in 2016 - partly because after Romney's win in 2012,  the Republican Party decided to weight the southern states for 2016 hoping to avoid another Romney.  Heh.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 4

Loved seeing Sally Field. Otherwise, it wasn't a noteworthy show today. I hate to hear Raven talk on LGBT issues. She always say Caitlyn Jenner shouldn't be speaking out because it's "too soon," but I'd rather listen to Jenner than Raven. Raven is an embarrassment to herself, much less when she's speaking for other people.

I don't think asking for a parent's permission is sexist. I just don't think it really means anything, because you're going to get married even if they say no.

• Love 3

I don't think asking for a parent's permission is sexist. I just don't think it really means anything, because you're going to get married even if they say no.

So true :-)

I keep thinking of Everybody Loves Raymond with Amy and Robert hehehehe

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

I don't want to belabor and if I need to belabor I"ll move to small talk, but I still dont get it. If someone can vote for whoever of either any party in the final election, then what's to stop people from, in the primary,  grouping and voting in some doof in the opposing party so that they lose in the final election? Im clearly missing   something or over thinking it :-) For example, If I were R who voted for a Non-Trump in a primary, there is no way I could support that Trump if he ends up as the nom . If he wins he will humiliate the whole country and do who knows what kind of damage. (imo)

You can vote for any party in the General election. They specifically ask candidates if they will stick with their party's nominee, to gauge what they are thinking. But even they are not bound to any candidate, since all votes are private.

• Love 1