Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 03/14/16

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Today was a great show, imo. Just think, we could’ve had this all last week if Jedidiah hadn’t be foisted upon us. The only blip on the radar was Raven, but she’s like a buzzing in my ear I can ignore. I did hope Joy would go in on her for trying to say people responding to Trump are “bullying” him. Like Sunny, I had a hard time feeling sorry for Trump in regards to Anonymous revealing his info. after he’s done similar things himself to other people. The anthrax fake-out was over-the-line though.

The sexism discussion was actually really good. Sunny’s response was probably my favorite. I loved Marcia Clark as a guest co-host.

• Love 9

Whoopi wasn't so bad with the Sophia Loren interview IMO (except for all the the superfluous and distracting "right"s she threw in. Just can't help herself, I guess), but I'm so glad she wasn't there for the rest of the show today. The atmosphere is so different with Joy moderating. Fun, not awkward. Everybody's so much more relaxed and able to voice their opinions

• Love 11

Yes, Raven's hair does look ridiculous.  There is something bird-like about her appearance  today, with the pointed bangs, and the way her earrings also came to a sharp point.

When talking about "work romances", I laughed about raven's comment.   "In My Industry...."  then giving Brad and Angelina as an example of a romance IN HER INDUSTRY that works.  

First, did she forget how that relationship began as adultery, and how controversial it was?  THAT'S a good example of a work romance? 

And Second-  Did she just put HERSELF  in the same category as two Oscar-winning actors?  Not that I'm singing their praises, but it's a bit of a stretch to put herself in that category. 

• Love 12

I always enjoy Marcia Clark,

Trump Jr's wife shouldn't be opening any packages. :-) 

Raven's hair reminded me of the avatar of someone here with a lime on a cat's head... only Raven's  was orange and except the lime kitten is super cute.

NO JED ! WOOT!

YES!!!!  That is exactly what Raven's hair looks like!!  :-)  (Much better description than my jack-o-lantern gone wrong one!)  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 1

Im sure Marcia Clark has better things to do , but I'd love her as a perm host. And Joy.... and two or three others who are not twits.... NOT TWITS being the operative words.

• Love 8

I could not understand what Raven was saying about objectifying men, and I even rewound and listened again. She cannot speak clearly to save her life, and it's her mom's fault.

Loved Joy today on not smiling! And on telling the "kids" to stay seated.

Loved the Peetes too. Sunny is revealing herself to be a pill at home. Psula is not a whore...good for her. The View is so fun without Whoops. Don't come back soon.

• Love 5

Great show today. Marcia Clark and the panel had a meaningful discussion and Joy with Paula was amusing. Even Raven had a moment of interesting talk, though she didn't understand a couple of words. Sunny and Marcia were very good on this panel as fellow prosecutors too. Miss Whoopi was respectful with Sophia Loren in her taped interview. The woman can be nice when she wants to be ...

Holly Robinson-Peete should be on daytime television. She is funny and engaging. But, she and Rodney now have their own show so Julie and the rest of The Talk can go pound sand.

Too bad it isn't this good every day.

Edited by rcc
  • Love 6

I think Paula should try a shorter haircut.  She looked nice the other day when it was up.

I've heard women say men on the street tell them to smile more, so I'm glad Sunny said that, and I think even in that viral video of the girl getting cat called she was told to smile more.  But Scarborough doesn't have the social skills or the eagerness to learn about the difficulties of being something other than a straight white guy to realize what he was saying.  Maybe he was just referring to Clinton's coldness, which I think is really outdated nowadays, and not trying to be a creep.  

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 6

lime-on-cat.jpg

Yep, ari333 - I see the resemblance!

WOOT THAT is it! thank you How adorbs! Raven's hair.. not so much.

I loved the thing on the smile and to me it totally IS sexist. I was a (female) bass player in a band (full of males) back in the dinosaur days and all I heard was fucking SMILE! The male musicians never got that shit.. only me.

Whoopi was shockingly respectful and normal with Sophia. So, I agree,  she CAN do it when she wants to

Did anyone else think that Whoops was almost fan-girly with Sophia? I didnt' hate it.

• Love 3

Yes, Raven's hair does look ridiculous.  There is something bird-like about her appearance  today, with the pointed bangs, and the way her earrings also came to a sharp point.

Raven looked awesome .... if she was about to audition for the role of a Star Trek villainess, that is.  

Was Paula suggesting a woman qualifies as a whore if she has had sex with a man other than her future husband before she gets married?  Because that is what it sounded like she was saying to me.  Lord help me, I have grown to really detest that woman.  She is an arrogant little snot ball who thinks she is the only one on stage who "gets it."  Well in my opinion she doesn't get shit.  Not if she thinks the line between what is sexist and what is not lies at the point of being told she has to show her "tatas."   Really, it has to be THAT bad before she will recognize a double standard?  I'm sorry but no one that judgmental and ignorant has any business being on this show.  

If Paula were more open minded and willing to even briefly entertain the notion that she is not always right and knows everything, I could deal with her.  But when she gives that snide little head shake like she feels sorry for whatever heathen idiot has just spoken some kind of nonsense she disagrees with, I want to kick her chair out from under her.   She is officially my least favorite person on the show now, and given how I feel about Miss Whoopi, that is sayin' something.    

• Love 8

I did think it was weird that Joy didn't make that point, that if you sleep with more than one man in your life, you are not a whore.  That is sexist, Paula!  But Joy just let the thing pass.  All week she has been very engaged and engaging, and she doesn't let this crop of co-hosts get under her skin.

I think it is pretty obvious that Michelle is out next year, since as a co-host she is barely on.  I wish Paula would be fired but I don't think she will be.  And for Vinyasa's sake, get rid of Sarah too.

I find Raven annoying, to be sure, but I do think she brings a very alternative perspective to the table, and i don't mind that.  Michelle does too, but I guess the execs don't like her.  Even Sunny is almost 50, so they need to keep someone young on the panel.

Edited by bannana
  • Love 3

I think Paula was just joking saying that...seemed to me Joy thought so too.

Oh, I think Paula was definitely trying to be cute with her remark.  But there was an undercurrent of judgement there imo. I mean, it wouldn't even occur to me to make a joke about someone being a whore simply because she wasn't a virgin.  But Paula's mind went there.  Because it's how she thinks - a woman having even one lover prior to marriage is wrong.  She didn't graduate from Cedarville College with honors for no reason, lol. 

I did think it was weird that Joy didn't make that point, that if you sleep with more than one man in your life, you are not a whore.  That is sexist, Paula!  But Joy just let the thing pass.  

I think at that point Joy had already jerked the reins on Paula over the "smile" thing, and she didn't want to get into correcting her thinking again.  Joy is a pro and knows when to let something go so she doesn't bog down the show by being overbearing and set a bad tone.  Whoopi could take a lesson from her. 

Plus with Raven and Sunny running around the stage, it was hard to make a serious comment about anything at that point.  I was glad Joy chose to address their behavior instead.  Because it's stupid and they need to stop acting like five-year-olds. 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 6

I think paula was just being overly-defensive because Joy was not letting up in trying to get Paula to admit that she's only been with one man. It seems like i recall Joy pressing this topic with Paula before. I think she crosses the line. I don't ask my coworkers how many partners they've had.

• Love 3

Seriously  -- any of you guys would be more awesome  than these hosts... Given that Joy and Marcia Clark could be hosts with you.

Yeah, I said it :-)

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

I think paula was just being overly-defensive because Joy was not letting up in trying to get Paula to admit that she's only been with one man. It seems like i recall Joy pressing this topic with Paula before. I think she crosses the line. I don't ask my coworkers how many partners they've had.

I agree, those kinds of questions shouldn't be asked of a person, especially not on live TV.  Not to Paula and not to Marcia Clark, either (re: whether she had an affair with Chris Darden).  Marcia sure handled it much more smoothly, though, probably because she is well-trained to think on her feet and she has dealt with that particular question before.  Paula, on the other hand, got all ..... vituperative (lol, sorry, I just wanted to use that word in conversation today).

Did anyone catch Joy saying (after Paula admitted to only ever being with one man) "that explains a lot."  ouch! 

• Love 6

I think Paula was just joking saying that...seemed to me Joy thought so too.

I agree. Paula and Joy have a fun dynamic on this show. When they came back from commercial for a quick minute Paula was sitting with Joy and Joy proclaimed "Paula is a slut" while Paula was laughing and saying "No I'm not." It's all in fun with the two of them.

• Love 7

It was kind of blunt, but given the show's topics ...and not just for today....Paula needs to step up her game .to give and take more skillfully, like poster above said. I mean, the woman was a sports reporter and in locker rooms, right? Plus, if she doesn't want to answer. .which is fine. ..Paula cd have declined to answer --plead the fifth.

Joy is an open book and she's old enough not to give a flying f--k....which is a great thing about getting old---er.

Seriously, anyway, who cares? Paula is not that big a name.

• Love 5

And Second-  Did she just put HERSELF  in the same category as two Oscar-winning actors?  Not that I'm singing their praises, but it's a bit of a stretch to put herself in that category.

As loathe as I am to come to Raven's defense, it seems clear she was categorizing them all as actors, meaning simply by profession,. I don't believe she was saying she was on their level, be it by fame, success or critical acclaim. Not to mention, Brad is not an Oscar winning actor. He has an Oscar, but it is as a producer for Best Picture winner "12 Years a Slave". The funny part is, I imagine Angelina would be even quicker than I was to point that fact out.

I guess Raven could have used any number of the C or D List Hollywood on-set romances, but in that area, Brad and Angelina would clearly come to mind first. Theirs is this generation's version of Liz Taylor's on-set romances.

• Love 2

It was kind of blunt, but given the show's topics ...and not just for today....Paula needs to step up her game .to give and take more skillfully, like poster above said. I mean, the woman was a sports reporter and in locker rooms, right? Plus, if she doesn't want to answer. .which is fine. ..Paula cd have declined to answer --plead the fifth.

Joy is an open book and she's old enough not to give a flying f--k....which is a great thing about getting old---er.

Seriously, anyway, who cares? Paula is not that big a name.

I think, Tosia, you meant, "So whaaat?" in the place of "Seriously, anyway" right? Riiiight?.

I know I haven't seen today yet, and so maybe I'm not sure what the context is, but Paula is also one of the two, who is always saying how HOT! her sex life is, and always giving out TMI about her sex life with her "hot" hubby...so, she sets herself up for this kind of conversation, and should be able to handle it without getting flustered, yes?

Of course, if I don't know what I'm talking about, please feel free to tell me to shut it.

• Love 6

I'm not a fan of Paula's but I think Joy, who I usually love, did put her on the spot a bit. I wouldn't want to answer that question on national tv. I think Paula just kind of blurted out that whore answer, because she isn't as quick witted as Joy, and that's the best she could come up with. Paula should probably refrain from talking about her "hot" husband ( I saw him the other day, and the hotness eluded me), and her missionary nights or whatever, because Joy will no doubt keep topping her with some zingers on that subject.

• Love 3

I think, Tosia, you meant, "So whaaat?" in the place of "Seriously, anyway" right? Riiiight?.

I know I haven't seen today yet, and so maybe I'm not sure what the context is, but Paula is also one of the two, who is always saying how HOT! her sex life is, and always giving out TMI about her sex life with her "hot" hubby...so, she sets herself up for this kind of conversation, and should be able to handle it without getting flustered, yes?

Of course, if I don't know what I'm talking about, please feel free to tell me to shut it.

You read my mind, Ghscorpiosrule! I totally agree with everything you say.

• Love 1

I think Joy's whole point was, who does that anymore, sleeps with one guy your whole life.  She was just amazed by this and did kind of focus on it a lot.  I give Paula credit for answering it, and for not freaking out too much but whore "joke" was just wrong.  She should just never joke.  And I am happy she thinks her husband is hot, but he is not.  So that is kind of embarrassing for him.

Marcia Clark handled the Darden question very well, and I had never heard that so now I am intrigued.

• Love 2

Marcia Clark handled the Darden question very well, and I had never heard that so now I am intrigued.

I haven't watched today's show yet, nor am I caught up on the Crime series, had to premise this question with that.  Is that a plot point in the series maybe?  Some innuendo there perhaps?  Now I'm just spoiling myself, lol.

• Love 2

Raven has delusions/illusions of grandeur with respect to her status in "her industry" (& the world in general).  Pip-squeek!!!

In her defense, she had a wildly successful run as a Disney star and made millions. She's not going to get $10M movie roles or win an Oscar, but very few in Hollywood do. I suspect there are plenty of folks in la-la-land who would be pleased to have a $50M net worth at 30 years old.

• Love 4

GiveMeSpace wrote -

I think Joy just let us know what she thinks of "Ravenbow".

Ravenbow stinks like Miss Whoopi's What the Hell Wednesdays (remember that?). With any luck, it will meet the same fate. Who comes up with these stoopid things anyway? Is it some clueless producer left over from the Geddie years?

• Love 6

In her defense, she had a wildly successful run as a Disney star and made millions. She's not going to get $10M movie roles or win an Oscar, but very few in Hollywood do. I suspect there are plenty of folks in la-la-land who would be pleased to have a $50M net worth at 30 years old.

Raven may be a very good actor & have lots of money, but it doesn't qualify her to sit at The View table & pontificate in a language unknown to me.  LOL.  Just sayin',

• Love 20

Raven may be a very good actor & have lots of money, but it doesn't qualify her to sit at The View table & pontificate in a language unknown to me.  LOL.  Just sayin',

THIS ^^^^

• Love 3

Raven is so addicted to social media that it must be hard for her to string together a correct, understandable sentence while actually speaking, and not typing, not using emoticons or acronyms or more words that Twitter will allow her.    ;-)

• Love 6

More than that, I would say Raven is one of the most successful child actresses in that she had more than one hit tv show. She was of course, on the Cosby show. Then she later starred in Hanging With Mr. Cooper. She also had her very own Disney Show. And she was in a ton of movies - Dr. Doolittle anyone?

I think a lot of people are underestimating her success.

More than that, I would say Raven is one of the most successful child actresses in that she had more than one hit tv show. She was of course, on the Cosby show. Then she later starred in Hanging With Mr. Cooper. She also had her very own Disney Show. And she was in a ton of movies - Dr. Doolittle anyone?

I think a lot of people are underestimating her success.

My bold.  Not her success, but her ability to speak the English language, extemporaneously, & make herself understood.  We know that she can read lines & act, but .....

• Love 8

Ravenbow stinks like Miss Whoopi's What the Hell Wednesdays (remember that?). With any luck, it will meet the same fate. Who comes up with these stoopid things anyway? Is it some clueless producer left over from the Geddie years?

Right? I thinking it must be a leftover producer or even the co-hosts themselves?   All these lame gimmicks (and a few good ones) that more often than not just disappear after a few weeks smell like the old days.  Of course this season all the "contributors" vanished by midseason so who knows.

Bwahahaha!   Agreed!

• Love 2

I remember when Whoopi would take us around little tours of NYC - I enjoyed it. Now we get Ravenbow. Go figure.

That's the one I was thinking of when I said, "..and a few good ones."     Now, these bits come and go so fast it seems like the graphics must take more time than the actual thing.  

• Love 2

Well we all know how much effort Whoopi puts into the show.

Fridays - nope. Aftershow - nope. Preparing - nope. ETC.

Which is why I enjoy Fridays and the After show.

Is she back tomorrow? I don't remember Joy saying on Friday that Whoopi will be back Monday.

• Love 1

Maggiemae and Medicinecrow clarified beautufully the dislike for Raven being on the spew. She cannot speak clearly. She touts (smugly) the Internet/her phone as being a superior knowledge base. She thinks the subculture of young performers and rappers are paramount to other artists. Raven is lacking in cultural and linguistic intelligence due to the above.

You might say that Raven represents the "younger" (30 is younger????) Milennials. My take on that view is that who wants to watch a show where common knowledge and "real" words have to be explained (or corrected) to another woman. I don't have the patience anymore for that.

I would love to view a young (20's) woman who's smart enough to speak intelligibly on current issues And/Or does her homework the night before. A young Rachel Maddow or Lisa Ling. Surely there is someone out there? !

• Love 9

Wouldn't you be curious to read the contract of the "contributors" that were announced at the beginning of this season? (Navarro, Padma, sims, London and Sherri) they probably got a generous retainer for being available to host plus more if they actually were called to sit at the table or do a segment. London we have seen regularly selling stuff, but others pretty much MIA (I ignore Sherri when she is on) Padma has a new book out, so I am surprised she hasn't been on to promote it. It's an election year and they haven't had on Navaro in a while! With the exception of Sherri and London, I wouldn't mind having the others rotate through regularly. Instead we get musical chairs with a host of other women to possibly test table chemistry for next season. What a weird situation. The shows I enjoy, are thought provoking and seem to flow better have Joy as moderator ...I hope someone at ABC feels that way to.

• Love 4

Instead we get musical chairs with a host of other women to possibly test table chemistry for next season. What a weird situation. The shows I enjoy, are thought provoking and seem to flow better have Joy as moderator ...I hope someone at ABC feels that way to.

It's been like that for years (probably since Bitsy's grand departure) although not on such a large scale.  I think the reboot last year was supposed to stop that but then Whoopi's "back went out" and Perez had already committed to a play, then RO left and the music started playing again. 

So this year they hired a permanent  co-host that had a two -three month obligation for a sitcom but were going to avoid random fill-ins and hired 'contributors" who mostly haven't been seen since November.  Raven wasn't up to it (clearly) so they brought Paula's buddy Sara over.

Joy is the only one that consistently shows up everyday and treats this like the high paying job it is.  Even when she had her own show she still managed to make it to ABC for a couple hours a day.  I've read her she just got a big fat contract and I'm guessing this is one reason why.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 8