Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Yol

• Start Topic

I liked this episode. I didn't understand the scene with Floki's and the hand licking seer though. He's been waiting for Floki? Why?

So what did Edu give Ragnar? Ancient Chinese LSD?

That was a brutal and graphic battle scene between Bjorn and the berserker. I was expecting Bjorn to kill the guy who sent the berserker after him, not take the guys wife instead.

I much prefer nympho Gisella to haughty bitch Gisella.

I'm looking forward to see what happens with King Harald.

• Love 2

I wasn't expecting so much gore tonight.  The fish hooks and gutting made me turn away from the screen.

What the hell is up with Aslaug?  Since when does she hate Christianity so much that she'd go to Floki for his help? 

I was hoping that Bjorn would kill that petulant boy, but at least he took his wife away from him.

The new king and his fabulous hair look interesting!

• Love 1

All I have to say, is I really wish my fiance hadn't brought home takeout before we watched this episode.

I understand the writers have to take some creative liberties, but.....

How is Rollo suddenly fluent in French? Last week he couldn't say Bonjour.

How are Ragnar's Snake Shack reptiles surviving exposure to the Scandinavian winter?

Speaking of which, were scarves, gloves and hats nonexistent back then? Everyone's walking around completely exposed to the elements.

I'm also slightly dubious that the types of plants and herbs used in Chinese medicine would've been available in Vikings territory during the 900s. Not doubting Yidu's mad skillz, I'm just saying...

Overall a very weird hour of television.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5

This episode! Holy smokes! I so wanted Bjorn to gut the little POS Erlander - and take his wife. I think Bjorn knows full well who is behind the attack. Like his father he is a very patient dude.

I knew Gisla would go full berserker on Rollo though. That wasn't a surprise. Nor was the Chinese slave reveal. He just can't help himself.

I really don't want to see Ragnar overthrown. It doesn't feel right at all. I'm hoping the preview is the usual bait and switch. King Harald does appear formidable.

• Love 3

All I can say is that I am glad that I am no longer interested in taking, er, 'shrooms, LOL. Fimmel was great as always. Yeah they hurried the Rollo/Gisela stuff, but if I'd had a gander at shirtless Rollo, not to mention having a taste of the more "intimate" stuff, I probably would be insatiable too!

• Love 2

Really good episode.  I liked the way all of the storylines progressed.

Aslaug seems to be setting up Ragnar for a fall.  It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out.

As for her hatred of Christianity, remember what she did to that monk a season or two ago.

I liked Yol and Ragnar’s tripping made for some funny stuff.

Bjorn’s fight was awesome and his killing the berserker was brutal.  Great episode for him…I wish he had gutted that little shit Prince but maybe he’s learned to play Ragnar’s long game.

Rollo and Gisela was fun though it looks like we took another time jump.

King Not Robert Baratheon was back and he’s more pathetic than ever.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4

Who is the tattoo face "King" supposed to be? Does Asslog actually know him? I like how Ragnar's No. 2 son was keeping an eye on him.

Getting an annulment from the Pope would take a long time back then, so Rollo had time to learn French.

Yeah, that snake would have frozen! Liked seeing Ragnar with a pet rat again.

Looks as if next week we have some Lagertha action!

• Love 2

I feel like if they're going to keep doing time jumps, they need to start aging these characters a little bit. We've covered what, close to 15 years now? Everyone looks practically the same, which is kind of unrealistic for the time period they lived in.

• Love 1

Are we to assume that Floki is indeed Loki, tee-hee-hee?

I thought either that, or he's about to become the next seer. I heard they said they were celebrating Yule, which while pagan, I didn't think came from the Vikings (nor chess, but semantics) though I suppose it's entirely possible they were the first to celebrate Yule.

I couldn't watch the drawing out of the poor berserker's intestines-normally I can watch, but that scene just squicked me out and I turned my head.

I did like Gisla's role tonight, it was kind of funny and light hearted, especially the sex at Christmas dinner. Yay--we can talk--such a turn on!

• Love 2

Ha!  Well played, Bjorn.  Not only do you take out the berserker in disturbing, graphic fashion, you then just stroll over to Kalf all "I know it was you guys trying to take me out, but whatever!  I'm just going to drink your wine, now!  Oh, and Erelendur?  I'm taking Torvi with me, because fuck you, you little twerp!  I just got done taking out a bear and a berserker!  I'm Bjorn, motherfuckers!"

Aslaug is totally done with Ragnar.  The first chance she gets, she'll totally try and overthrow him.  Already making sure Ivan the Boneless doesn't get to close to him, and having him chill with Floki instead.  Not sure he would be my first choice as a babysitter, but hey, who am I to judge?!

These time jumps really can be jarring, because Rollo can now speak perfect French.  But, hey!  It's enough to finally win Gisela, and not only are they still married, they're even down with screwing loudly, right near daddy and the rest of the guest.  Merry Christmas, everybody!

Wessex is still being their crazy, partner-swapping selves.  When is Ecbert just going to give up on hiding it, and invite Judith, Aethelwulf, and Kwenthrith to the magical hot tub?  Oh, and Judith's dad is back, and I keep having to tell myself he isn't Robert Baratheon.  Because seriously, he really looks like Robert Baratheon.

I'm really hoping the lack of Lagertha early on means, she is going to kick some major ass in future episodes.

Ragnar and Yidu tripping on shrooms is the best.  I never knew how much I wanted to see Ragnar get high.

This new Harold character is interesting and the actor already is leaving an impression.  But I loved how coy Ragnar was around him.  And his reaction to Bjorn coming back with Torvi.  It's been said countless times, but it really is true: Travis Fimmel is just amazing at facial reactions and body languages.  I rarely take my eyes of Ragnar when he's on screen, because he's usually always conveying something important with every movement or motion.

• Love 10

Ha!  Well played, Bjorn.  Not only do you take out the berserker in disturbing, graphic fashion, you then just stroll over to Kalf all "I know it was you guys trying to take me out, but whatever!  I'm just going to drink your wine, now!  Oh, and Erelendur?  I'm taking Torvi with me, because fuck you, you little twerp!  I just got done taking out a bear and a berserker!  I'm Bjorn, motherfuckers!"

Aslaug is totally done with Ragnar.  The first chance she gets, she'll totally try and overthrow him.  Already making sure Ivan the Boneless doesn't get to close to him, and having him chill with Floki instead.  Not sure he would be my first choice as a babysitter, but hey, who am I to judge?!

These time jumps really can be jarring, because Rollo can now speak perfect French.  But, hey!  It's enough to finally win Gisela, and not only are they still married, they're even down with screwing loudly, right near daddy and the rest of the guest.  Merry Christmas, everybody!

Wessex is still being their crazy, partner-swapping selves.  When is Ecbert just going to give up on hiding it, and invite Judith, Aethelwulf, and Kwenthrith to the magical hot tub?  Oh, and Judith's dad is back, and I keep having to tell myself he isn't Robert Baratheon.  Because seriously, he really looks like Robert Baratheon.

I'm really hoping the lack of Lagertha early on means, she is going to kick some major ass in future episodes.

Ragnar and Yidu tripping on shrooms is the best.  I never knew how much I wanted to see Ragnar get high.

This new Harold character is interesting and the actor already is leaving an impression.  But I loved how coy Ragnar was around him.  And his reaction to Bjorn coming back with Torvi.  It's been said countless times, but it really is true: Travis Fimmel is just amazing at facial reactions and body languages.  I rarely take my eyes of Ragnar when he's on screen, because he's usually always conveying something important with every movement or motion.

Travis Fimmel--is the best with facial expressions and body language--absolutely agree with that. I loved watching him paddle madly on his toy while tripping out.

So-- Yol is the equivalent to Yule. That makes sense.

I think Harold Finehair knows Aslaug, and was alluding to it when he said a he loved a princess, but she had other offers. She was a princess when she first met Ragnar. I think they were playing a little game there--another long con. Total wild speculation on my part.

After watching it twice tonight--because once is never enough--I'm sure of something like that. 

Next week, looks like Lagertha is kicking some butt and taking names. I'm such an unashamed fan.  And I also loved Ragnar with the rat--having raised the boogers, they can be great and cute ratty pets.  Miss his ravens though, the man should always have a few ravens about for dramatic effect. 

Really enjoyed this episode, even if I didn't understand what all was happening--it was good. But please Bjorn-- kill Erlunder. Pretty please. 

• Love 4

I'm probably alone in this, but I HATE how next week's preview always flows right into Craig Ferguson.   Every week it's like some loud, annoying drunk suddenly appears in my living room while I'm still trying to process what I've just seen on Vikings. 

I could have used a few more minutes of battle with the berserker.     He didn't seem to really go berserk.    It's like he was just warming up and then Bjorn took him down.   Bjorn is turning into a formidable character.   I like him more each week.

Ragnar's other son is like Viking Will Robinson.

Looks like we're back to business as usual with Floki.   Old gods, doing stuff behind Ragnar's back, apparently warming up to yet another usurping King.  Yawn.

And the snakes?  Come on.   Unless Ragnar built his cabin on a heatstone and has UV lighting, I'm not buying it.

I want the Paris scenes to be gone.   They are like a recurring bad dream. 

Wessex looked very nice all decorated for the holiday, like a medieval painting,   Apparently bad behavior went on at Christmas parties even back then. 

I just didn't like this one very much.   Next week looks better.  

• Love 3

New characters almost always bring something interesting, so I'm down with Harald, especially being familiar with the sagas.

They really found themselves a treasure when they cast Fimmel.

Good on Gisla for getting some of that. I mean, being as she's living in a time where her main job is to provide an heir, she's just doing her duty. Often, and with great enthusiasm.

• Love 2

I just didn't like this one very much.   Next week looks better.

I didn't either.  I was wondering what the heck I was watching, and I had to turn away during that one scene too.   Frankly, I was bored, and that's something I never thought I would say about Vikings - but I felt like it jumped around - I don't know what it was, but I lost interest and thought about just going to bed.  Husband didn't even watch.

I hope it picks up.  I really wanted more episodes per season, but I'm starting to wonder if that was a mistake.   They used to pack alot into the handful of episodes they aired, now things seem to be dragging.

• Love 1

Please, more Lagertha...and seeing her watch the interaction with Bjorn's arrival was fascinating. She must be on to Kalf  by now, if she isn't already doing a long con.

And she now has a strong and accomplished ally in her son. Make your move.

Am done with Aslaug. Ready to throw Ragnar overboard? Go ahead, make it really obvious. It's not like Ragnar is dangerous or anything. You do wonder if she knows the man, or if she has decided he's old and weak and ready to be replaced. It's clear that Harald has come to take what Ragnar has. And Bjorn is a real player now.

Gisla and Rollo...the new power couple. I hope those courtiers get theirs...and Odo as well.

The episode was a set-up I think for future action. As for the Chinese hottie...she knows her shrooms, but does she also know Chinese gunpowder? The timeline might be off...but she could be a useful partner for Ragnar. Diversity wins. 

I gotta say, this show teaches me so much. First, where the Yule log tradition started. Second, that sex with a newly-frenchified Viking gives you immediate access to am electric blow-dryer and a styling brush. Not to mention illusion netting on your dresses! Third, a trip into a wiki wormhole about good old Harald Finehair!

What was it that Ragnar and Yidu were tripping on? (And my, didn't it work fast!)

• Love 2

I kind of hate Gisla more for giving it up so easily. I'm not saying Rollo isn't tempting, because HOT DAMN; but come on. She's heretofore been painted as this righteous, principled being; and I really resent the implication that all she really needed was a good ol' Viking pounding to bring down her entire moral structure.

• Love 3

How is Rollo suddenly fluent in French? Last week he couldn't say Bonjour.

I feel like if they're going to keep doing time jumps, they need to start aging these characters a little bit. We've covered what, close to 15 years now? Everyone looks practically the same, which is kind of unrealistic for the time period they lived in.

There should have been a time jump of several  months between the French scene where Gisla asks for an annulment and when the Cardinal actually arrives with it. Those things dont happen fast.

Problem is Gisla asks for an annulment at the feast of St Eulalia . Now there are two Eulalias but given the details the Emperor recounted it has to be the one on December 10th.

And then this episode occurs  just before Christmas. 

I kind of hate Gisla more for giving it up so easily. I'm not saying Rollo isn't tempting, because HOT DAMN; but come on. She's heretofore been painted as this righteous, principled being; and I really resent the implication that all she really needed was a good ol' Viking pounding to bring down her entire moral structure.

Bring down what moral structure ? Having sex with her husband ?  

Also the turning event isnt the sex its when Rollo speaks in Frankish.  She's ready to jump him at that point.

• Love 4

I disagree that Gisela gave it up easily.  I don't know how much time had to elapse for the marriage could be annulled, but I'm guessing at least several months?  If so, then during that time she witnessed Rollo becoming "gentler" and learning French, so she had time to warm up to him.   So, if she decided that she wanted to stay married to him, it would make sense that she wouldn't remain a virgin.  

So, I just don't see how getting a good ol' Viking pounding would bring down her entire moral structure.  It might bring down one of the tables though.

• Love 2

I disagree that Gisela gave it up easily.  I don't know how much time had to elapse for the marriage could be annulled, but I'm guessing at least several months? 

Should have been.  unfortunately its just two weeks.  See my previous post.

Should have been.  unfortunately its just two weeks.  See my previous post.

Do you have a source for the two weeks?  In any event, whether it's two weeks or several months, the point is that she apparently witnessed changes in him, which made her reevaluate her decision regarding whether to stay with him.  Hence, the Viking pounding.

• Love 2

Do you have a source for the two weeks? In any event, whether it's two weeks or several months, the point is that she apparently witnessed changes in him, which made her reevaluate her decision regarding whether to stay with him. Hence, the Viking pounding.

I agree, she seemed very turned on when he knew french. And he professed his devotion to her and France.

• Love 1

Do you have a source for the two weeks?  In any event, whether it's two weeks or several months, the point is that she apparently witnessed changes in him, which made her reevaluate her decision regarding whether to stay with him.  Hence, the Viking pounding.

As I said.  See my previous post.  :-)

Short version St Eulalia's feast in the 3rd ep,  is on December 10th.

This episode takes place at Christmas.

Edited by The Kings Foot

The Rollo/Gisla love scene was so corny and out of place. I felt like watching some bad Lifetime movie. I mean, all Lifetime movies are bad, but you know what I mean.

Auslaug is so stupid.

Ecbert is da king. That man is a awesome in that Machiavellian way of his and LR does such a fab work.

Ragnar you fucking dumbass. 

Ah, Kalf. You are so dead.

Lagertha and Bjorn are the best.

• Love 2

The rollo/gisla scene at Christmas was just dumb. No way in hell that would happen like that. Ruined that whole dynamic. Turned a relatively serious show into a lifetime original. Come on!

• Love 1

I see sex with Rollo has turned Gisla into a runway model. That's exactly what she looked like when she came to get Rollo at Christmas for some more sexy times.

Take a good long look at your penis, Kalf, you might not have it for much longer.

So Floki is going to be a seer now?

• Love 4

I see sex with Rollo has turned Gisla into a runway model. That's exactly what she looked like when she came to get Rollo at Christmas for some more sexy times.

I could have sworn I saw her hair blowing in the wind as she came into the room to get Rollo.  But I guess sex with Rollo will do that to ya. : )

• Love 3

Maybe she realized producing an heir would make things easier.

• Love 1

Every moment of this episode was pure gold.  Gold.  Pure fucking gold.

Especially 10 seconds of sparks floating into the blue night sky.

All of it.  Fucking love it.  How does it keep getting better?????!!!!!!!

(One question -- Queen Kwenthrith is calling herself queen/king except that "England" didn't have a female queen until the 12th Century with Mathilde and even that was contested.  Aside from her and poor Lady Jane, the first queen of "England" was really England and it was Bloody Mary.)

• Love 3

I also really enjoyed the episode.

I don't think this French storyline has done Rollo any favours. He used to be an intriguing character, but that was when he interacts with his brother.

I sort of get what you mean. She softened towards him so quickly and it was out of step with previous episodes. I guess I wanted to see her start to like him a little because he had done something interesting character-wise (besides murdering his own people), but the worm turned in one scene and she decided she wanted to be his wife after all.  Last year I was looking forward to their relationship, but I think it has been handled badly in the last few episodes with not enough realistic developments.  It almost seems like a joke.

Edited by insubordination
  • Love 2

They'll need to keep Torvi and Helga apart because in real life they are sisters, and look so much like siblings it would be confusing, IMO. At least Torvi doesn't have raccoon eyes from all that Viking eyeliner!

• Love 4

Who is the tattoo face "King" supposed to be? Does Asslog actually know him? I like how Ragnar's No. 2 son was keeping an eye on him.

Getting an annulment from the Pope would take a long time back then, so Rollo had time to learn French.

Yeah, that snake would have frozen! Liked seeing Ragnar with a pet rat again.

Looks as if next week we have some Lagertha action!

The story told by the new king (Harald, was it?) about the woman he loved that rejected him when he was a nobody, I took to be a reference to Aslaug. 

I think they know each other, and now that Harald has established himself as a warrior king to be reckoned with, he's decided to show up at Kattegat to win her over. Of course that's probably going to involve trying to kill Ragnar as well.

Even though the arrival of the new king likely spells trouble for Ragnar, he seems like an interesting character. I hope he sticks around for awhile. 

Edited by Scaeva
  • Love 2

I liked this episode. I didn't understand the scene with Floki's and the hand licking seer though. He's been waiting for Floki? Why?

So Floki is going to be a seer now?

I believe Floki is actually the norse god Loki. There are many simularities between the story in the show, and norse tales about Loki that match.

Examples:

The killing of Athelstan by Floki in the show, and in the norse sagas the killing of the god Balduar by Loki.(Athelstan is Balduar).

The binding of Floki in the cave and the dripping water being gathered in the bowl by Helga. In the norse mythologie Loki was bound in a cave and dripping snake venom was caught up in a bowl by Loki’s faithful wife, Sigyn.

• Love 6
The story told by the new king (Harald, was it?) about the woman he loved that rejected him when he was a nobody, I took to be a reference to Aslaug.

No, it's literally the woman from back home. See my wiki link upthread for more deets.

• Love 2

Since when haven't we reckoned that Floki is at least a representation of Loki?  Just look at his name.  His mental and physical behavior like Gollum (which is what we call him in Chez Captanne.)  He's a lunatic, trickster -- inventor, malcontent, misfit.  At least that's what I've thought since he jump-squatted onto my screen in season one.

He also represents the part of Norse mythology and culture that can't and won't adapt.

I am NOT saying I disapprove of Norse mythology and culture.  That is not what I'm saying.  What I am saying is that, in the history of the world, movements have changed cultures and the old ways slowly, painfully, agonizingly begin to die off or adapt.  The Mind of Man is powerful, though, and holds on to beliefs through generations (Aslaug's visit to Floki is an example of that.)  While the Big Three Scripturals hold sway today (Islam, Judaism, Christianity) -- you can still find practicing Druids and Aztecs.  (The Aztecs -- IIRC -- simply absorbed the Catholic pantheon of saints into the Aztec original pantheon of gods.  Quetzalcoatl = Jesus Christ; Huitzlopochitli = St. Michael.)

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

Between the blood eagle, the stabbing and head-butting, the crucifixion/water torture in the cave, cutting off a man's penis at the moment of death, and now the disemboweling of the Berzerker, our vikings love the overkill.  Holy shit, that was brutal.  What the vikings lost in Rollo, they've gained back in Bjorn.  Ubbe seems to be a great warrior in the making too.  I can't wait to see his part in the overthrow of King Fineahair.

Someone upthread mentioned that the characters need to age more to show the passage of time.  I think they've aged Ragnar well and have done a good job showing the children growing up, but I agree that it's time for some changes in the others. 

I love all the patient long games here, but will they be able to give all these new characters something to do?   

I didn't either.  I was wondering what the heck I was watching, and I had to turn away during that one scene too.   Frankly, I was bored, and that's something I never thought I would say about Vikings - but I felt like it jumped around - I don't know what it was, but I lost interest and thought about just going to bed.  Husband didn't even watch.

I hope it picks up.  I really wanted more episodes per season, but I'm starting to wonder if that was a mistake.   They used to pack alot into the handful of episodes they aired, now things seem to be dragging.

I agree.   The Ragnar drug trip was time-consuming and, in my opinion, made Ragnar look stupid.   And old.   I have never regarded Ragnar as an idiot before, but that's what he looked like paddling in the fake boat.   I suppose I should be grateful that he didn't do the Batusi.

And what was that, disappearing in Ragnar's mouth during his fun times with Yidu in shack?

A snake, I think.   Because he apparently runs Kattegat Pets and Reptiles on the side.

• Love 3

No, it's literally the woman from back home. See my wiki link upthread for more deets.

They're clearly not going with actual history since the historical  Harald and Ragnar were not contemporaries.  So its  possible that Aslaug could be the princess who rejected him

Maybe Viking snakes are really tough.

I feel like this is a meme in the making 

Viking Snake -pillager of livestock and stealer of women. God' s Scourge on Earth.

Add me to those put off by how modern Gisela looked following her discovery of Viking sex. The bouncy blow dried hair was ridiculous.

This season isn't doing it for me, between the multiple locations and Ragnar acting like an ass. And there's not nearly enough Lagertha.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 3

I didn't mind the tripping scenes at all.  We saw the same thing at Uppsala.  So, Vikings using hallucinogenics is depicted both realistically and hilariously.  I loved it.  Ob, mileage varies.

• Love 3