Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Til Death Do You Part

Wearing black to a wedding...granted, it's Norma's third marriage, but still not a good sign. The Normero fandom is probably losing its shit right now.

LOL at Norman saying he'd rather stick pins in his eyes than do yoga.

Ten to one that Norman is going to frame Romero's ex when he breaks out and kills his mom and new stepdad. We all know it's going to happen, no use pretending otherwise.

• Love 4

Yes Norma your hot cop husband who paid for your sons admitannce into a nice loony bin does get to move in with you. That is kind of the deal. Although don't lie your panties kind of dropped in the kitchen when he told you he was taking you to dinner and again at the dinner. You were so going to sleep with him. Norman is so going to kill you both.

• Love 12

OK, I know that Norma and Romero have gotten up close and personal before, but I don't remember them ever actually kissing, so their first kiss being during the wedding ceremony, is hilarious!  Best wedding ever!  Even a normal court wedding was too long for Norma!  And, of course, it didn't even occur to her that they actually need to live together, so Romero moving in should be fun for all.

I did love that Dylan's reaction was kind of mute about it.  After a bit of shock, he really was quickly into "Well, this isn't even in the top ten of crazy shit that has gone on with the family, so yay to new Dad!" mode, and even telling Norma she could do worse.  Which is both true and hilarious.

In less fun news, Norman is clearly getting even worse, now that he thinks Norma has betrayed him and was the true killer.  And now he's told his therapist about it, so I can only imagine what is heading Norma's way now.  I also wonder what this new friend of his will end up playing in this arc.

Glad they gave Gunnar a quick send-off.  I love that Dylan fully attended to fire him, but Gunnar quit before he could, and that still pissed Dylan off.  But it looks like Chip is back, so I'm guessing Dylan's going to have a few roadblocks on his way towards getting out of the weed business and getting to explore with Emma.  Dammit, that's what I choose believe instead of the likely scenario that both of them will be casualties in this thing.

Romero's ex is going to be so much trouble.

I still love it when Norman interjects things like "I'm disappointed in you, mother!" during his rants.  Because it just shows that Norman is treating these things like it's normal, and not crazy.  He's acting like his mom did something like promise to take him out for ice cream, but changed her mind, instead of killing someone, like he's currently assuming.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 9

My God, is Vera a great, great actress.  I could see her simultaneously thinking/fearing that the creaks of Romero were the retrospective creaks of Sam Bates even though she knew that's totally illogical (with "Terrifying Norman" as an outside possibility.)   Now we're learning about Romero, while I would heretofore not swear that we needed to learn anything extra about the backstory of Romero for him to work, it was sweetly bathetic (and was that his mother's antique ring Norma was ogling as an afterthought in the ceremony? it didn't look new).  Norma is clearly not used to being taken care of, though Alex is screamingly trying his best, and it's all gonna end so ugly, poor thing(s).

Love Norman and his new buddy, the actors have got some chemistry.  Still waiting for the psychiatrist to end the season proclaiming that Norman and Norma need to switch places.

• Love 7

The doctor is giving me a funny feeling!

Oh Norma, you silly goon -- you've got a nice guy and it's all gonna go to shit at some point.  I love Sheriff Romero, but its hard to ignore the Kat Von D eyeliner when its so thick....he is a handsome man, I don't see why they need to go so heavy on it.

Also surprised that more people didn't end up in that hole!

• Love 1

Norma and Romero take a big step together; Norman attempts to accept his new surroundings; Dylan tries to shed old business.

Norman didn't try to make the best of it at all. I guess it's because he thinks that he's totally innocent but I have my doubts as to how true that can be. Some part of him has to know that there are thinks about his version of events that don't add up. If he's really concerned about keeping Norma away from innocent people, he should be just as concerned about himself. Since Norman has indicated before that he thinks they both need to die, doesn't that suggest that he feels guilt on some level? He may have created visions to absolve himself of guilt but he still has moments where he can't explain physically having blood on his hands. How does this not make him pause over his accusations to Norma? I think there's a part of him that knows he's a dangerous, murderous creep. 

I don't know what to think of the entrance of Julian at Pineview other than he's putting thoughts into Norman's head about matricide. 

I'm happy to see Norma and Romero together but I know this is likely the high point of their relationship now that Norman is trying to make it seem like his mother is a serial killer and his accusations are going to be reported to the police. I can understand why Norma lied during their dinner about Caleb and Dylan but it made me sad to think how many lies there are that Romero just doesn't know about. I can't help but think if he'd gone into the situation fully informed that he wouldn't have married her quite so quickly. She won't even acknowledge to him that Norman is dangerous. 

I'm curious as to whether or not there's going to be some ethical lapse on the part of the doctor. What if he doesn't tell the police about Norman's accusations because he doesn't believe them? (I haven't seen the preview for next week which is annoying. I think it might have aired during Damien. Kind of annoying how hard they're pushing that show. Sorry, OT.)

I like that Dylan and Emma are in a comfortable place but I don't know what to expect from his storyline this year and wish that he would get more integrated into the madness over at his mom's. I don't need him living there just participating in the drama a bit more. I guess that'll happen when Emma's mother's body is discovered. I'm assuming it has to be. Why all of the build up if it isn't leading in that direction? In fact, I theorize from this episode that the staged murder/suicide of Norma and Romero is going to be due to this incident. Norman is going to implicate Norma, he's going to say that he saw her in the hole, and the walls are going to close in only for Emma's dad to take the fall. Norma will know the truth though and she'll see that she has no choice but to have Norman committed. He'll finally snap on her for good I'm just not sure if Emma and Dylan will be able to escape unscathed.  

Whatever ends up happening I think it's for sure that Norman is going to freak out when he learns of the marriage. My fear is that Norma will spin it Norman in such a way as to hurt Romero's feelings if he somehow ends up overhearing them. 

Ten to one that Norman is going to frame Romero's ex when he breaks out and kills his mom and new stepdad. We all know it's going to happen, no use pretending otherwise.

I agree. I'm not sure how it'll be credible or how he'll find out about her but I agree that the ex was introduced for this reason. Maybe she'll publicly harass them or something.

More and more I don't see Romero and Norma surviving the season. 

• Love 1

The only vibe I get from the psychiatrist is that he's going to be another victim. Not there at the facility but somehow, some way. Norman is a force of nature way beyond what the therapist can understand.
When Norma says something to Romero about "those stairs are going to kill me", I immediately thought it was foreshadowing. I can't quite recall from the movies but I don't believe it's ever stated HOW Norman dispatches mother and stepdad. Could be that while he out and out kills Romero, Mother accidentally gets pushed down the stairs during a struggle or something.

Well, even though they're doomed to death, I sure enjoy watching Romero and Norma's awkward relationship. They're sexy AND comedy gold.

Agreed that Emma and Dylan's story seems sort of extraneous. Because they are the only two invented characters outside of the movies, I pray they have a chance to escape this drama alive.

• Love 5

I completely forgot about Dylan's crazy neighbor till he showed up in this episode. All I can say is, "Dude, you are so last season."   None the less, Dylan is doomed no matter where he lives, the farm or the motel.

So Romero has a few clandestine fuck buddies he keeps around town... not sure I really needed to know that but I'm guessing there's more to come from the I-money-launder-for-the-Eyes-Wide-Shut-club bank employee.  I also suspect that might be how Romero started hooking up with her in the first place. 

While the "crazy" is definitely amping up with each season, I feel like the witty banter dialogue is declining, especially between Dylan and Norma. That scene where he stopped by and she updated him on the marriage and Norman lacked a lot of punch. Frankly, I feel like Dylan is completely underused and not written nearly as well as he was in season one. He seems like a shell of himself. 

I enjoyed that one. It was both funny and very sad to see how willingly Romero sets up life with Norma.  When he falls he falls hard and it's sad because we know that this decision will be the end of him.  What's funny is how utterly clueless Norma is to things.  She's been married twice before and had two male children but still has a hard time understanding boys and recognizing that Romero is head over heels for her.   I liked Dylan pointing out that 1) men don't just do such drastic things for women that they don't have feelings for and 2) he approves of this man - probably because he's seen Romero in action and knows that he will be a strong protector for his ditzy mother.

Freddie Highmore deserves all the accolades that exist and can be made up.  I find Norman to be one of the most disturbing killers I've ever seen on tv - up there with Joffrey on Game of Thrones.  I'm probably wrong but I don't think the doctor will be immediately inclined to send the police based on Norman's accusations.  1) Norman was found talking to himself in the middle of a field by a total stranger and then he sought to attack that stranger, who beautifully laid him out, and 2) he was locked down in a loony bin and evaluated by a staff doctor who declared him certiable and darn near called the police on Norma for not locking him up sooner.  It is canon that Norman is crazy from the doctor's POV.  Also, it will take only one conversation with Dylan (the only completely sane one in that family) to lock Norman away forever.  Mostly I fear for the doctor's safety.

I shudder at and love the undercurrent of this show about how secrets ruin us.  You get the feeling that if the whole cast got together and compared notes that they would see what's going on and get rid of Norman before he kills anybody else.  I honestly believe that one small reason that Romero was anxious to marry Norma is because he wants to get to the bottom of what's really up with Norman.  Norma won't talk when she sees him as a cop who might break up her family.  But as her husband...  I think Romero has sensed for a long time that the danger that constantly surrounds Norma has a source.  And I think, as he always does, he wants to protect her from the son she can't bring herself to admit she needs protection from.

I don't and have never liked Chick.  He is disturbing and distracting from a story that has enough disturbing in it to go around.

Also, to whoever said it above - that is not eyeliner on Nestor, his eyelashes are so thick it makes him look like he is wearing it.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 8

Also, to whoever said it above - that is not eyeliner on Nestor, his eyelashes are so thick it makes him look like he is wearing it.

Yep, he went on some talk show and they tried to use make up remover on his eyes.  It's all him.

• Love 2

The odds of Norma and Romero not getting out of this season alive just went up, methinks.

Dylan and Emma need to move to Portland and rent and apartment.  No, run to Portland.  No, run to San Francisco.

• Love 2

I don't think Farmiga is going anywhere anytime soon.  She's the EP.  I'm sure she'll be there until the last episode in the series  (alive or dead).   I would not watch the show without her.   Highmore is good for a couple of chills  but  it's Farmiga who carries the show, for me anyway.

• Love 14

I like that Dylan and Emma are in a comfortable place but I don't know what to expect from his storyline this year and wish that he would get more integrated into the madness over at his mom's. I don't need him living there just participating in the drama a bit more. I guess that'll happen when Emma's mother's body is discovered. I'm assuming it has to be. Why all of the build up if it isn't leading in that direction? In fact, I theorize from this episode that the staged murder/suicide of Norma and Romero is going to be due to this incident. Norman is going to implicate Norma, he's going to say that he saw her in the hole, and the walls are going to close in only for Emma's dad to take the fall. Norma will know the truth though and she'll see that she has no choice but to have Norman committed. He'll finally snap on her for good I'm just not sure if Emma and Dylan will be able to escape unscathed.  

I thought Emma's mother was at the bottom of the hole they are filling up?  Seems like they already poured a lot of dirt over her, but I suppose she could still be discovered although if they did, it would have to be revealed in dribs and drabs since it seems like Emma's mother was mostly out of the picture so it seems like no one would be looking for her.

The only vibe I get from the psychiatrist is that he's going to be another victim. Not there at the facility but somehow, some way. Norman is a force of nature way beyond what the therapist can understand.

I don't know, something in that psychiatrists smile and the fact that this show comes from the same guy that brought me "Lost" makes me think something is up.  But anytime a psychiatric facility is on a show like this, I'm looking for some sort of underground, backroom, electro-shock therapy.

• Love 1

It was awkward watching Norma and Romero initially get married, and I was worried for a minute that the marriage might affect their dynamic together and become uncomfortable to watch, but it wasn't long before they were back to being their usual adorkable selves.   It was cute when Norma found him in the basement and he told her he was looking for somewhere to do laundry, and she didn't quite believe it, so he went with the truth to throw off her the trail.  Dylan has his number and is quite right, he is obviously head over heels for her.  I hope the feelings are reciprocated.

Edited by Fable
  • Love 3

Really?  I am shocked!  Thanks for the information, because I never understood why they used so much guyliner on him.  Makes sense that it isn't guyliner at all.

I thought Emma's mother was at the bottom of the hole they are filling up?  Seems like they already poured a lot of dirt over her, but I suppose she could still be discovered although if they did, it would have to be revealed in dribs and drabs since it seems like Emma's mother was mostly out of the picture so it seems like no one would be looking for her.

I thought with Norman telling the doctor in this episode that he might also tell them his suspicion that there's a body in the hole that was filled. 

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 2

I thought with Norman telling the doctor in this episode that he might also tell them his suspicion that there's a body in the hole that was buried. 

True, I would love it if this hole becomes a minor cast member on the show.  Just when you think its going to get filled up and hide all its secrets, someone goes and opens it back up again.  

• Love 3

When i first saw him he sure looked a lot like Norman, especially the hair.

and his "parents" made him come here, and he sees himself as somehow superior to the other "nuts," and he wanted the turkey pot pie which reminds Norman of Norma....

• Love 8

That psych doc is gonna "get toast" as my bf says.

I cant believe they socked the rules and let Norma se Norman that soon.

I think the doctor is going to die too. I see him being push off of a cliff or something that looks accidental but Norman is behind it. I think the doctor is going to meet "Norma" too. 

• Love 1

It was awkward watching Norma and Romero initially get married, and I was worried for a minute that the marriage might affect their dynamic together and become uncomfortable to watch, but it wasn't long before they were back to being their usual adorkable selves.   It was cute when Norma found him in the basement and he told her he was looking for somewhere to do laundry, and she didn't quite believe it, so he went with the truth to throw off her the trail.  Dylan has his number and is quite right, he is obviously head over heels for her.  I hope the feelings are reciprocated.

I loved it when he carried Norma up the stairs.  It was very Gone With The Wind, right down to the light fixture at the bottom of the staircase.

and he wanted the turkey pot pie which reminds Norman of Norma....

just cracked up when he sat down at Norman's table with that pot pie on his tray.

• Love 2

I enjoyed that one. It was both funny and very sad to see how willingly Romero sets up life with Norma.  When he falls he falls hard and it's sad because we know that this decision will be the end of him.  What's funny is how utterly clueless Norma is to things.  She's been married twice before and had two male children but still has a hard time understanding boys and recognizing that Romero is head over heels for her.   I liked Dylan pointing out that 1) men don't just do such drastic things for women that they don't have feelings for and 2) he approves of this man - probably because he's seen Romero in action and knows that he will be a strong protector for his ditzy mother.

Freddie Highmore deserves all the accolades that exist and can be made up.  I find Norman to be one of the most disturbing killers I've ever seen on tv - up there with Joffrey on Game of Thrones.  I'm probably wrong but I don't think the doctor will be immediately inclined to send the police based on Norman's accusations.  1) Norman was found talking to himself in the middle of a field by a total stranger and then he sought to attack that stranger, who beautifully laid him out, and 2) he was locked down in a loony bin and evaluated by a staff doctor who declared him certiable and darn near called the police on Norma for not locking him up sooner.  It is canon that Norman is crazy from the doctor's POV.  Also, it will take only one conversation with Dylan (the only completely sane one in that family) to lock Norman away forever.  Mostly I fear for the doctor's safety.

I shudder at and love the undercurrent of this show about how secrets ruin us.  You get the feeling that if the whole cast got together and compared notes that they would see what's going on and get rid of Norman before he kills anybody else.  I honestly believe that one small reason that Romero was anxious to marry Norma is because he wants to get to the bottom of what's really up with Norman.  Norma won't talk when she sees him as a cop who might break up her family.  But as her husband...  I think Romero has sensed for a long time that the danger that constantly surrounds Norma has a source.  And I think, as he always does, he wants to protect her from the son she can't bring herself to admit she needs protection from.

I don't and have never liked Chick.  He is disturbing and distracting from a story that has enough disturbing in it to go around.

There is absolutely no way a man of his age has eyelashes that thick.  No way in h3ll.

Here's a link to him being asked the question:

HOWEVER, I will state that in this interview, his eyes don't look make up like they do in the show.

Edited by OhioMom

I've never wanted to see Romero and Norma as a couple.  That said, there were a few cute moments this ep that made me want their "marriage" to work.  I just wish the sex would've waited a bit.  Particularly since it was grief sex.  

I find it funny that Norman is essentially snitching on himself.  BTW, does Norma have an alibi for Emma's mom's murder?

Edited by maczero

I've never wanted to see Romero and Norma as a couple.  That said, there were a few cute moments this ep that made me want their "marriage" to work.  I just wish the sex would've waited a bit.  Particularly since it was grief sex.  

I find it funny that Norman is essentially snitching on himself.  BTW, does Norma have an alibi for Emma's mom's murder?

didn't she lock Norman in a room while she went to check out Pineview, or go propose to Romero?  And thats when he broke out of the room, put on her robe and killed Emma's mom?  I think Norma was out and about visiting someone at the time.

didn't she lock Norman in a room while she went to check out Pineview, or go propose to Romero? 

"The Continuing Adventures of Norma Bates", ha.  Yeah, we can certainly understand why you'd want to leash your unhinged kid while those actions went down.

• Love 1

So whats the over/under on Normans new "friend" being a figment of his imagination?

Great theory!   It never occurred to me, but it makes a lot of sense.   

• Love 4

It's not fair, it is just not fair!

This was a more quiet sedate episode. What is weird is that I found it shocking that we are only on the 3rd episode of the season. This is not to say that I am not enjoying the show or find it tedious but so much has happened in the prior 2 episodes that I thought the episode count was wrong and sounded too low. 

Is it me or is Norman's doctor a bit overly smirky? I guess the actor is trying to portray an affable personality but the constant smirk is annoying much like Jeffrey Dean Morgan's  (my sexy zaddy whom I love) on The Good Wife. I can't help thinking that he is thinking that he hit the mother lode with the crazy that is the Bates dynamic and this will finally get him published in JAMA Psychiatry. There must have been a reason that he broke PineView rules and allowed Norma to see Norman. 

I can't find a damn to give about Dylan and his crazy neighbor. 

Not enough Norman this episode.

I am surprised how much I love the chemistry between Norma and Alex.

Bless my be-eyelashed Prince Nestor for selling Romero's hard (yet inexplicable) fall for Norma. 

Count me in as thinking Norman's friend Julian may not be real. 

• Love 3

I tend to consider myself capable of understanding all the nuances of this show, enjoying is darkness and the depths of the characterization.

But about this episode, I have two overwhelming thoughts, and I apologize if they seem overly simplistic:

First, FINALLY!

And also, FUCK YOU NORMAN.

That's it. I'm sorry!

PS Poor Nestor, he's never going to escape the eyeliner accusation.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 3

I was doing my "happy dance" at the last scene of Normero. I've been wanting these two together since the beginning. I, like many others, truly believe that their marriage will be very short lived once Norman is released. If going by the movie Psycho 4 tells me anything, it is that Normero's days are definitely numbered.

On another note, I want a little more Dylan and Emma. I realize that she couldn't be immediately released after her transplant, but these two were written into this show and need to tell their story as well. I hope that their ending involves a move to a far away city with no evidence of their whereabouts!

Norman, Norman, Norman. You gotta start acting like you are making progress if you want to be released! Hopefully, he will realize this and bring back the excitement to White Pine Bay. Besides, he hasn't gotten to congratulate the bride and groom yet....uh oh!

• Love 1

Now that I've had time to process...

- I definitely had the impression that Norman's friend in Pine View may not be real. He was just too convienient.

- I'm a bit afraid Norman's therapist is going to believe his accusations of Norma.

- I've found it sweet that Dylan's opinion or Romero mirrored Norma's opinion of Emma back in the season premiere (basically: he/she is good for you). Awww.

- I didn't believe Romero's story about fuck buddies. I think he was covering for his ex (who looked kinda familiar).

- As much as I love and ship Normero, Dylan/Emma have at least as much, if not more, chemistry. Too bad the writing's not on their side.

- And speaking about Normero, I was spoiled about their hook-up in this episode, but had to delay watching it because I had too many feels after season 2 of Daredevil. Thankfully, it worked 100% for me despite that. Great work by the actors, the chemistry was palpable and I was sympathizing with both of them so much.

- Two possible Chekhov's guns: Norma's falling down the stairs (PLEASE NO! I want her to live at least until the finale!) and Romero hiding his money in the basement.

- Don't care about Chick. Writers, forget about him and AVClub's reviewer unexplicable love for him.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1
And also, FUCK YOU NORMAN.

I actually think Norman had more going for him than Norma did.  From what I have gathered, it doesn't seem Norma had much love or nurturing growing up, and while she was too often inappropriate and crossing boundaries, Norma at least offered Norman unconditional love.  In spite of her upbringing, she never turned into a murderous psycho.  There is such a perfect shit-storm brewing.  It's been a while in the making and a long-time coming, as much as I dread it, I am in for the rest of the ride.

Edited by Fable
  • Love 1

I am loving every second of Norma/Norman/Romero. Every time the ep flipped over to the Emma/Dylan love story I felt like we'd gone to commercial I was so taken out of the story. I know they are huge fan favorites but I really don't care. I watch this show for psycho. I didn't mind Emma when she was involved in Norman's life and I like Dylan, but again, when he is with Norma/Norman. It just feels weird following them off on their own. Give them a spin off and get back to the show.

That said, the actual show...holy shit is Freddie killing it or what? His rage, and especially that quiet, seething rage, is chilling. Every scene with him and Norma I have that sense of tension like, "is this it? Is this the moment it all goes completely to shit?" I think that's why Dylan/Emma feel like a different show right now. Everything at the Motel is so ratcheted up to 100 that I don't want to leave to go play tragic lovers with these two. They are probably doing it to break some of the tension but I don't necessarily think that's a good thing.

I'm still loving the Bates Motel side of the show though. I am riveted to every scene in that part of the show.

• Love 5

Wait wait wait wait wait.

Why did they focus on a FURNACE DOOR when Romero said he was hiding money in the basement?  Surely he's smarter than that, right?

"There's always money in the banana stand."

• Love 4

Alright, Nomero has completely stolen the show for me. All I want is to watch them fall in love in their for-the-insurance marriage, and find a way to be happy together.

At first, Norma was pissing me off with her black wedding suit and being so cold, but the evening after the wedding, when she heard Romero come into the house and immediately got to angrily/frantically chopping the green peppers, and then sounded so upset when she told him this was her third marriage, my heart kind of broke for her and I finally understood why she was being so standoffish with him. Of course she's scared. Her marriages have been really scary.

And Romero was nothing but charming, imo, but it also kind of broke my heart for him when Norma started kissing him and he told her very firmly not to toy with him.

Idk, I think this marriage could be so good for both of them, and I wish that they would finally have a chance for a happy home/life.

Well, even though they're doomed to death, I sure enjoy watching Romero and Norma's awkward relationship. They're sexy AND comedy gold.

I agree. They're lovely. How can they be tragic, and hilarious, and sexy -- all at once?

While the "crazy" is definitely amping up with each season, I feel like the witty banter dialogue is declining, especially between Dylan and Norma. That scene where he stopped by and she updated him on the marriage and Norman lacked a lot of punch. Frankly, I feel like Dylan is completely underused and not written nearly as well as he was in season one. He seems like a shell of himself. 

I completely agree that Dylan seems like a shell of himself and that all the punch has gone out of his scenes.

I actually liked him best when he was kind of a closed-mouth prick in S1. Well, "liked" is probably the wrong word, but he seemed like he fit into the family organically, and I thought he was interesting, and I thought his relationship with Norma was pretty fascinating, too. They've softened him up way too much over time, imo, and now he (and his relationship with Norma) is dull as dishwater.

I'm sorry, but I don't really care about Dylan popping in to have healthy and supportive talks with Norma, especially when those talks are apparently now going to be interspersed with heartfelt hugs. I also don't care about Dylemma. Emma's sweet but she's dull, and with Dylan now having become so dull, too...

Although I did find it funny how frustrated Dylan got that he couldn't fire Gunner. He was trying to make this big statement about how he's a responsible man now by firing Gunner, and then Gunner's stoner dumbass self totally ruined that statement by nonchalantly flaking out.

I think Romero has sensed for a long time that the danger that constantly surrounds Norma has a source.  And I think, as he always does, he wants to protect her from the son she can't bring herself to admit she needs protection from.

I think that, from pretty much Day 1, Romero sensed that Norma was vulnerable and afraid, and he knows that that doesn't come from nowhere. She's afraid because there's something to fear. Like I said before, I think he identifies with her and "gets" her and can read her very well.For example, when they were getting married and the judge gave Norma some side eye, and he said that Norma was just nervous -- I thought that he was 100% correct, but that Norma herself wouldn't have even realized that she was feeling nervous about getting married, let alone been able to tell him (or the judge) that. (Even way later in the episode, when Dylan asked her how she was feeling and what was wrong, she deflected and started talking about how she was feeling about Norman. I mean, I believe that she really does love Norman, but her being so messed up and agitated in this episode was not ALL about her kid, LOL).

Anyway, I think his intuition has also been telling him for a long time (since Ms. Watson's murder) that Norman in particular is dangerous, but he hasn't had many/any concrete facts to back that intuition up, so he's just kept an eye on the situation instead of getting directly involved very much.

What makes him a good guy (in my mind, anyway) is that he's never exploited her vulnerability, he's always tried to protect her instead. I mean, he's a criminal/corrupt/dangerous, so in lots of ways he's not a good guy, but he's also not cruel to people who are weaker than he is just because he can be. That goes a long way to making him likeable for me.

Also, I know it's a small thing, but I like that the show took great pains to show Romero get consent from Norma. And not just that, but the show lingered over the consent scene and then skipped the sex scene altogether. Given that brutal rape in the pilot, and that this show is so heavy on the domestic violence in general, I thought that was a really interesting/cool choice.

• Love 5

Don't care about Chick. Writers, forget about him and AVClub's reviewer inexplicable love for him.

I didn't realize until last night that he was being played by Ryan Hurst.

I agree. They're lovely. How can they be tragic, and hilarious, and sexy -- all at once?

That's the magic of skilled acting, lol.  You can so clearly see everything Vera is thinking as Romero rolls up at the courthouse imo - "Oh dear/crap, he wore a suit.  He's taking this seriously" ... "Damn, he looks fine in that suit.  Clearly you've never seen him in a suit before, whoops." ... "Oh crap, now you have to talk to him in his suit, without passing out or running out the front door."  Three seconds, bam.  She may be conveying two emotions simultaneously, never mind in succession.  (Aside:  Carbonell and Farmiga are having the time of their lives taking the piss out of each other on social media, for anyone who has never hit up Vera's twitter feed:  https://twitter.com/VeraFarmiga?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor)  I think she even managed to look maternally dismayed about the suit, and considered responding the way she would to Norman or Dylan.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 7

Yep, he went on some talk show and they tried to use make up remover on his eyes.  It's all him.

I remember when his eyeliner -- or lack of eyeliner -- was part of the LOST conspiracy debate. Some thought he was a pirate because of it!

Norman is really creeping me out. This show is so amazing. I can't see him getting away with framing Norma, since he's the one with blackouts who was caught talking to an invisible person in a field, but I love the cliffhanger anyway! I can see it seeming completely logical in Norman's mind -- HE never hurt anyone, his mother did it, again! Just like in the movie, of course.

• Love 3

I actually liked him best when he was kind of a closed-mouth prick in S1. Well, "liked" is probably the wrong word, but he seemed like he fit into the family organically, and I thought he was interesting, and I thought his relationship with Norma was pretty fascinating, too. They've softened him up way too much over time, imo, and now he (and his relationship with Norma) is dull as dishwater.

I'm sorry, but I don't really care about Dylan popping in to have healthy and supportive talks with Norma, especially when those talks are apparently now going to be interspersed with heartfelt hugs. I also don't care about Dylemma. Emma's sweet but she's dull, and with Dylan now having become so dull, too...

Agree! S1 Dylan was the best with his attitude and ability to see through Norma's shit and call her out on it.  Add it the fact that the actor is not hard on the eyes...his character had so much potential. But I also am having a hard time shipping Dylemma. She's nice but Dylan needs to be paired with someone that creates more interest/intrigue.  Their story feels rather bland and likely only to blow up when (or if) Norman gets jealous or something. 

• Love 3
- I definitely had the impression that Norman's friend in Pine View may not be real. He was just too convienient.

While Norman is certainly not a reliable narrator right now since he's had a complete psychotic break, until I see more, I personally am not so quick to assume the guy is not real. Crazy as Norman is, he hasn't gone around just making people up. Norman's crazy manifests in his personality split between him and "Mother" and he sees Mother, who is a figment of his imagination. But other than that, he's never really just made people up. Many were positive that Bradley was a figment of his imagination last season and yeah, not so much. I can definitely see the writers going that route because honestly, it's kind of a cliche really - the Tyler Durden/friend that doesn't really exist character. However, I would not be surprised if he is real. 

- I didn't believe Romero's story about fuck buddies. I think he was covering for his ex (who looked kinda familiar).

Based on the conversation he had with the woman after telling her he got married and how he made it clear that they didn't really tell each other things or had that kind of arrangement, I think he was telling the truth. Seems like he and this woman was a convenient and casual situation.

From what I have gathered, it doesn't seem Norma had much love or nurturing growing up, and while she was too often inappropriate and crossing boundaries, Norma at least offered Norman unconditional love.

But was it a healthy unconditional love? Yes, maybe Norman didn't have a creepy sibling who fostered an unhealthy and later abusive incestuous relationship with him and two mentally ill parents as Norma did. But he did live in a house where his father was an abusive asshole to Norma, culminating in his killing him and Norma covering it up. And while not incestuous, I do think Norma fostered a very, very unhealthy and creepy co-dependent relationship with Norman that helped create this twisted Madonna/Whore complex in him that was just one of the first of many in his spiral to bat-shit crazy town. 

I realize reading the comments here that this is likely an unpopular opinion, but I'm honestly sort of getting to a place of finding Norma incredibly annoying. Norman is just tragic to me and needs to be locked up permanently because he's too far gone at this point to be helped. But aside from the fact that I do find Norma somewhat culpable in what this situation has become, I find her incredibly needy and whiny. This episode frustrated me when she was still so insistent to see Norman and was begging the facility to cut corners for her.

The woman said that it was only 72 hours they did not let patients speak to anyone - that's only three damn days and yet Norma kept pushing. It's like despite realizing the magnitude of what's happening with Norman, she still can't get over her overly creepy attachment to him. I get that he's her son, but Norma is still not fully facing reality and how the things she has done and the relationship she's had with Norman may have contributed to whatever's going on with him and so she needs to just step back for once.

And all her visit did was cause Norman to become agitated and more pissed off, to the point that he's telling his shrink she's killing people. And then of course she's upset because Norman's mad at her so her answer is to go have sex with Romero. I don't doubt that Norma has feelings for Alex, since that pairing has been building from Season 1. However, we've seen her act this way before, where her needy and creepy attachment to Norman causes her to seek comfort from some other guy, when Norman seemingly shuts her out. That said, while I'm not sure where the show is going, I will be shocked if Norma and/or Alex are killed this season, just because I think they are too major as characters. Then again, showrunners have done crazier things. 

I too am a little confused and unhappy about Chick's reappearance because it just feels like the writers refusing to remove Dylan from this weed storyline, which I've always hated and have always thought dragged the show down. I too like Dylan and Emma but yeah with her in the hospital, it sort of doesn't gel with everything else happening on the show with crazy Norman. It does feel a little removed from the tone of the show. Of course, that may not be a bad thing because you sort of need a break from the crazy every once in awhile. They're like the injection of normalcy and sanity in a show full of nutjobs - of which I include Norma and now Romero because he agreed to marry Norma.

Finally, I guess I'm alone in this because I liked the therapist. I was actually amused at his slightly amused face when Norman said he would just sit there and not talk. I actually laughed at his, "that's okay too." I didn't get even a hint of anything sinister or suspicious about him and I also actually don't think he'll be killed, at least not yet.

But I also am having a hard time shipping Dylemma. She's nice but Dylan needs to be paired with someone that creates more interest/intrigue.

YMMV but in my opinion Dylan's story went off the rails once they got him involved with the town's drug trade. I have always hated the drug storyline and most of the parties involved and so have been bored with Dylan anytime that was the focus. The only time it was semi-interesting is when the guys kidnapped Norman because Dylan said he wouldn't do something and that led to Norman's remembering killing Ms. Watson. But yeah I wasn't here for that one guy he worked for, then his sister who came into town that Dylan hooked up with, now Chick, hated Caleb and his whiny sad-sack appearance, etc. So Dylan's storylines have always sort of been kind of its own thing in my opinion. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Norman's "friend" is totally going to kill his doctor after the doctor finds out that Norman's accusations about Norma are a little bit 100% backwards.  Remember the doctor said he'd have to report it?  Who do you think he's gonna report it to?  Someone like, oh, I dunno... probably a sheriff, right?

Then Norman and his friend are going to escape together.

• Love 2

I have my doubts about the friend Julian, but Norman has never made up a person in his head, so I tend to believe that he's real. What I think will happen is that Dr. Edwards is going to find himself in a pickle with Mother, he'll die, and Mother will find a way to frame Julian somehow. 

The one thing I've learned that I prefer is when Dylan is involved with the main storyline, not when he's running off with his drug trade storyline. It's what turned me off a little with season 2. I like when Dylan's story involves his family. It's why I'm starting to question the Dylan/Emma thing right now, despite my love for both of them as characters. I hope they find their way back to the main story soon. It's weird, because I want them both far away so they don't get killed, but I also don't want them off in this drug/pot storyline. It's boring, and I just don't care. The two are still cute, but I'm not looking forward to this thing with Chick. 

Normero's marriage is going to be an interesting one, that's for sure. Norma may not have full fledged feelings like Romero does, but as soon as she gives in and has her true moment of bliss and happiness, they're both going to die. Also....who was that woman that was in Romero's place? Have we met her before this episode? I don't remember her at all.

Overall, Norman is going to not be happy when he discovers the marriage.