Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Phil's Phaves

Louis and Jessica are reeling after Cattleman's Ranch receives a less-than-desirable review on the website Phil's Phaves. Determined to make it right, they invite the critic back to the restaurant and are shocked to discover that Phillip Goldstein is the reviewer. When he gives them an even lower grade the second time around, Louis and Jessica go all out to bring him and his website down. Meanwhile, Eddie's romantic mix tape for Alison gets into the wrong hands.

I'm glad I didn't read the ep synopsis because it was a wonderful surprise when Philip Goldstein turned out to be the reviewer. I love that character. I love Albert Tsai. Cracked me up when he walked into his living room to find Jessica and Louis there and said, "Oy."

I'm not a big Eddie fan either, but his story was ok. 

• Love 5

Ew, I hate that little Philip Goldstein. Irrationally hate him. 

I liked what Jessica said about "just put the computer away for a couple years, it will still work then."  I remember when I bought my first PC - it was at least $2500 back when that was REAL money - a coworker told me "Don't look at any more ads for computers, it will just make you mad." Back then every week it seems the computers got cheaper and faster.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I'm disappointed they mentioned Marky Mark in this episode cuz he's a racist POS who beat up an Asian man.

When i saw that website layout I had to pause and admire it. I'll bet whoever made that for the show had a friggin' field day. It was perfect, from the flying toaster gifs to the Netscape Navigator.

That was my fav scene in this episode. Hello nostalgia!

• Love 3

Oh 90s internet. Amazed they didn't show them waiting 30 minutes for the dial up to finish, or mess around with the cable that stretches throughout the whole house. Man that hit the nostalgia button. And apparently, Philip Goldstein created an early form of Yelp! Who knew? 

• Love 3

I loved all the the internet stuff.  I think the kid playing Eddie is not a good actor.  I do not believe it when he says he is in love or having any type of crises.  The other two boys nail their roles. 

The Eddie character is really the weak point of the series.  Even Eddie's friends are much more amusing then him.

• Love 9

Oh 90s internet. Amazed they didn't show them waiting 30 minutes for the dial up to finish, or mess around with the cable that stretches throughout the whole house. 

Last season we saw that when Louis's BIL brought his computer and set it up. (I'm not sure about the cable stuff, but we definitely had a great joke about the long wait time for the dial-up.)

I loved the dancing babies!

I think that was the dancing baby from Ally McBeal. I hated it in the 90s because it kept popping up everywhere, but I loved it here because a restaurant review website that was going nuts with the non-sensical Java images is exactly how it would have been used back then. The flying toasters and three different fonts really put it over the top. And the hit counter! I died that they were freaking out over 149 people having seen the web page.

Ew, I hate that little Philip Goldstein. Irrationally hate him.

I might like Philip if he were played by someone else, but I'm one of the few people who doesn't like Albert Tsai so I cringed a little when Philip appeared. I don't want to crack on him because he's a kid, but he's the reason I won't watch Dr. Ken.

I think that was the dancing baby from Ally McBeal. I hated it in the 90s because it kept popping up everywhere, but I loved it here because a restaurant review website that was going nuts with the non-sensical Java images is exactly how it would have been used back then. The flying toasters and three different fonts really put it over the top. And the hit counter! I died that they were freaking out over 149 people having seen the web page.

I might like Philip if he were played by someone else, but I'm one of the few people who doesn't like Albert Tsai so I cringed a little when Philip appeared. I don't want to crack on him because he's a kid, but he's the reason I won't watch Dr. Ken.

My sister and I used to dance like that baby after we saw Ally Mcbeal...lol!

I loved all the the internet stuff.  I think the kid playing Eddie is not a good actor.  I do not believe it when he says he is in love or having any type of crises.  The other two boys nail their roles. 

The Eddie character is really the weak point of the series.  Even Eddie's friends are much more amusing then him.

This is the only weak spot in the show for me, the actor playing Eddie. I just don't buy his character at all. Nothing he says or does seems natural to me. He comes off as a kid that is faking he likes hip hop music. Though maybe some of this is writing. My friends and I grew up in the 80's and 90's listening to rap and hip hop and we didn't talk like Eddie...

It is obviously too late to replace the main character, so we are stuck with him. I just hope he takes some acting lessons or something during the offseason.

Still my favorite sitcom behind the Goldbergs though.

• Love 1

Interesting from the Phil's Phaves site, if you go to is taco cart review, he says: "I love the chicken tacos, the beef tacos and the pork tacos." I'm surprised that Phil would eat anything with pork in it.

• Love 3

With every episode, I find myself saying (to no one else in the room) that the two younger boys are really good little actors.  They deliver their lines in very natural ways. Eddy's friends pull it off, too. The red-headed friend is a riot -- I saw him on an episode of Teachers (TVLand), and he's good in that show too. Eddy's too stiff....but I guess I'd rather have that than the Disneyfied child acting method (obnoxious, unnecessarily loud, waiting for a laugh track when none exists, etc.).

Every episode of this show manages to crack me up. Phil's reaction to the bear gave me a laugh.

The shot of the Frank Stallone CD cover was a (snarky) gem from the past. And how I loved SWV! Weak, I'm So Into You, Right Here -- those were definitely some of my jams! 

• Love 1

I continue to enjoy the characters and shenanigans at Eddie's school, not just the kids but the over-earnest principal, as well.  I cracked up at the use of the word "compu-teasing" instead of "cyberbullying."  These days we use "cyberbullying" without batting an eye, but back in the 90's it was something we didn't have a word for (a sobering thought, actually!).

• Love 1

Maybe this is why the real Eddie Huang tried to throw this show under the bus from the get go: the kid that's playing him is the weakest part.

Geocities and Angelfire...that takes me back.   

Yep.  I had a Geocities site back in the day - though a bit later than the show's setting - I think my parents would have killed me if I created/shared stuff online when I was underaged.  They were (and still are) SOOOOOOOO CAREFUL/private.  They can't believe what I put on social - LOL!!!  They've accepted that I Instagram some of my meals and post selfies, but I'm not too sure how they feel about what I Tweet/share on Facebook. 

Edited by PRgal

This one was pretty funny, with the internet, though the whole mixtape disaster was cringeworthy to watch.  I thought at some point, Eddy's phone call would be interrupted by dial-up of the internet.  The websites were funny, though my volume was too high and that sound effect blasted out.  Thanks Phil.

Edited by Camera One

I still have some old mix tapes! I originally wanted to remake them into CDs back in the olden days but I was stymied by trying to fit 90 minutes of songs from a tape onto CDs that only held 80 minutes of songs. Thank goodness now we can just make playlists on itunes!

• Love 1

I still have some old mix tapes! I originally wanted to remake them into CDs back in the olden days but I was stymied by trying to fit 90 minutes of songs from a tape onto CDs that only held 80 minutes of songs. Thank goodness now we can just make playlists on itunes!

Sadly I have one that has such obscure music I've not been able to recreate it with iTunes. 

I didn't remember that search engines were around in 95. (I had to Google it to be sure). I was in my junior/senior years of college in 95 and I do remember not really being able to find anything effectively. When I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in 97 was the first time, that I can remember, that I was able to find information using a search engine. Of course, I probably didn't have a lot I wanted to search for before that and web pages weren't that common yet.  For the longest time I held on to a letter from a good friend (who ultimately ended up working in tech) about how useless the internet was. 

• Love 2

I didn't remember that search engines were around in 95. (I had to Google it to be sure). 

I remember being able to search in '92 or so, but I worked for a university, and universities and tech companies were a bit ahead of everyone else in terms of web use. Not that I personally used it for anything cutting edge; I think I spent a lot of time on IMDb and waiting ten minutes for a Calvin and Hobbes image to load. I can't remember what search engine I used though. AltaVista and Ask Jeeves were big before Google, but they didn't appear until the mid-90s. (Poor Jeeves. No one asks that guy shit now.)

• Love 2

I remember I used to love Dogpile!

I had some obscure songs that I had to rip from the original CDs and import into itunes to make my playlists complete. Totally worth it though!

I remember everything used to take forever to load online. Simple pictures were bad enough in the early days but I remember in 2001 a friend told me he started downloading a movie in the morning so that it would be ready to watch when he got home from work that night.

• Love 1

See, this is why I love FotB and the Goldbergs...the memories it brings back.

I don't remember any search engines in 95 (my memory isn't great), but I know 100% I was using AOL then. And yes, I probably installed it off one of the THOUSANDS  of free trial discs I received in the mail.

Looks like a lot of us are in our late 30's and 40's...

• Love 6

For me it was the midi of Rondo alla Turca on Phil Phaves.  That was my ringtone on my Motorola flip phone!

Add me to the list of not liking the kid that plays Phil.  It's something about his mouth or his enunciation or something that just drives me crazy.  I haven't seen him on Dr. Ken because I'm boycotting all new ABC shows this season in protest of them cancelling Forever.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 3

[quote name="Sile" post="1995065" timestamp="14563t

Add me to the list of not liking the kid that plays Phil. It's something about his mouth or his enunciation or something that just drives me crazy. I haven't seen him on Dr. Ken because I'm boycotting all new ABC shows this season in protest of them cancelling Forever.

Harsh?

For me it was the midi of Rondo alla Turca on Phil Phaves.  That was my ringtone on my Motorola flip phone!

Motorola StarTAC! Mine didn't have a special ringtone. I kept it on vibrate and wore it on my belt like a nerd.

Add me to the list of not liking the kid that plays Phil.  It's something about his mouth or his enunciation or something that just drives me crazy.  I haven't seen him on Dr. Ken because I'm boycotting all new ABC shows this season in protest of them cancelling Forever.

His mouth drives me crazy. His lips looks like he has on lipstick.

I'm watching this show for the first time and just hit this episode - the first "commercial" search engine launched for general web use was Lycos in 1992 and that's the search engine Evan said to use.  I don't know why but that made me happy.  Though others would have existed since they are now in early 1996 since a bunch of them launched in 1995.

I'm really liking this show and am glad I made it one of my summer picks. 

That kid was the best part of Trophy Wife, which was a pretty good show overall. Haven't seen Dr. Ken, but my residual love stands for his role here.

I miss Bert.  And Trophy Wife.