Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 02/15/16

Fisher King
  • Start Topic

Michelle couldn't even manage a joke around quail but rather went with some crap about a ranch animal coming for Scalia.

She is a lousy comedian  - just not funny.  She speaks too rapidly and then swallows the last few words of her sentences.  Send her back to the "minor leagues!"

• Love 5

Since when is the death of a heavyset, 79-year-old smoker with high blood pressure and heart problems unexpected? What is unexpected is that he lived as long as he did.

I don't know what Texas law requires, but if it is lawful for the family to forego an autopsy, they should not have to allow one just to appease a bunch of whack job conspiracy theorists tweeting stupid shit about a murder plot, or some jerks trying to get political mileage out of it. YMMV.

What i mean is that he wasn't on his deathbed. He was clearly in good enough spirits to be on vacation and expected to go hunting the following day.

And no I'm not subscribing to any conspiracy theories. I just think an autopsy would be no harm, no foul.

• Love 3

Angry much Miss Whoopi?!

Clearly, Whoopi is out of weed; no wake and bake today. Her crazy angry response to Paula's (and frankly the rest of them too) fuckery was way over the top and unsurprisingly unprofessional.

What Joy was saying, after she got off the conspiracy train, was that the problem now, with only eight Justices, was that all the decisions that had been made in the lower courts would be the controlling decisions. Because there are only eight right now, nothing can be sent to the Supreme Court.  Even though session doesn't open until October. No WAY can I imagine Obama appointing someone and he or she getting affirmed before October.  So for all intents and purposes, all appeals to the highest court are stayed. Which is not good.

If that's what Joy said, she got it wrong.  The lower court's ruling stands only in the event of a tie on the U.S. Supreme Court.  The court will still hear cases, but in the event of a tie - it won't matter.   The reason this is a big deal is that most of the cases coming up have social political ramifications and of course The Court has been splitting more and more, just like the rest of the country.  

I can never agree with Whoopi, no matter what she says, BECAUSE of the way she says it.  Just can't.  When she talks I can visualize my hands closing around her throat. She used everything she had to grab all the focus from Joy.  She sucks all the oxygen from the room.  I just don't like her very much.

This is exactly how I feel Morgalisa.  She's just so unprofessional with her shouting and finger pointing all the time.  Why is it that Whoopi is always the only one that losing her shit at this season's table?   She needs better weed and more of it. 
  • Love 10

Raven defending Kanye doesn't bother me, I can see her point.  I think Kanye has a lot going on mentally, and possibly brain damage from his car accident.  He appears to be having a public meltdown and clearly isn't over his mothers death, which doesn't give him an excuse to be an asshole since it's something everyone must go through eventually, but I think he is mentally ill and he just reminds me of Amanda Bynes more and more often.  I think it's best to just ignore him, and since his new cd is only on Tidal (which will never be a success!) it should be pretty easy to do.  He's like a crazy person screaming on the subway at this point.

It didn't really bother me either because uh, it's Raven for one thing.  Ten years ago I thought Kanye was a genius, but since then there has been evidence and speculation that he may have a traumatic brain injury sustained from his car accident in something like 2003.    i don't know and I don't really care honestly.  Whatever's going on with him doesn't excuse his ongoing obsession with harassing Taylor Swift.  At all.  

I kind of  like Taylor Swift when I see her on other shows and if she felt better using her Grammy acceptance speech to address years of public harassment from West then fine. It's always better to ignore people like that but sometimes enough is enough and maybe Swift reached that point with Kanye's rather repellent lyrics about her in his most recent 'song'.   

But in the end, as the old Joy would say, "So what, who cares?"  These are not real problems as far as I'm concerned but precisely the stuff Raven obviously thinks about, lol.   

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 8

I'd love to know how Kanye helped Swift's career.....she was accepting a Grammy!

Actually I do think his lyrics about Swift were repellent. He is relentless towards her. I would be pissed off as well.....and would also be if I was Kim. But I wouldn't want to be her in any way.

If Kanye has a brain injury then he and the Kardashians (sp?) should be supporting him to get help.....not ignoring it.

I don't follow Kanye or Taylor but I have noticed here and there that T really loves her fans and thanks them graciously, doesn't make trouble, and contributes to charity with money and herself. K&K - not so much.

JMHO

• Love 11

Actually I do think his lyrics about Swift were repellent. He is relentless towards her. I would be pissed off as well.....and would also be if I was Kim. But I wouldn't want to be her in any way.

If Kanye has a brain injury then he and the Kardashians (sp?) should be supporting him to get help.....not ignoring it.

Please don't misunderstand I agree about the lyrics.  And when I said it's a good idea to ignore his behavior as long as possible,  I meant by Swift, not his family. 

My favorite part of today's show (Tuesday) was the Toy Giveaway where NONE of the action toys did what they were supposed to do, LOL.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 4

Thanks for clarifying Cosmo.....both me and you!

And thanks Rick.....I didn't know that. OTOH Swift doesn't need a backing from Zuckerberg - Kanye does. For his loosing business ideas evidently. At least according to gossip which I seem to hear on tv and articles.

Yep - the toys not working was embarrassingly funny!

Much more fun than Raven and Mario groveling on the floor yesterday "fighting." They need to grow up.

• Love 3

My bad on the Supreme Court back to lower courts thing. Joy did say, that this would happen if the Supreme Court was tied.  BUT, I say, I can't recall the last time they were unanimous in a decision. And the last few decisions were 5-4. So we really need to get in another Justice as soon as possible, in my opinion. Just to clarify so y'all know that's what I think, not speaking for Joy.

Pardon my gaffes, as I was typing this morning, after only 3 hours' of sleep, which began at 6 this morning. Or rather yesterday.

• Love 4

Michelle's makeup was flawless and her outfit was very flattering to her coloring. Today was the prettiest she's ever looked to me.

I agree.  I wish Joy would soften her makeup a little bit.  The dark brown eyeshadow  "wings"  are a bit much.  too thick, too dark, and not placed right.   At her age, a softer look would be so much better.

• Love 4

I think anyone who holds a high position/ office in which the only way out of that office is death.... the death is significant and therefore so is the cause of death.  Maybe I am misunderstanding something.

I'm not saying this well, but iow, the position is important especially since it is is politically charged - or the replacement position is politically charged. The Supreme Court is a big deal. I can understand the concern. This is not just - or only -  someone's grandpa who passed away at 79. The justice positions are very important. Roe v Wade leaps to mind, but there are many other reasons.

I understand why you think it's a concern (the autopsy) but the TX authorities took a pass, and the family was adamant, so it's a done deal at this point.  Your point about Roe v Wade is important, as coincidentally, it is the TX case that has greatly diminished abortion clinics that will probably split with the lower court decision standing, which leaves women having to drive hundreds and hundreds of miles for an abortion, most likely with an over-night stay to meet some sort of forced "waiting period".

Whoopi just took it too far, though.  Joy was trying to make a serious point: Obama has faced a ridiculous amount of opposition from people in Congress who don't want him to succeed because he is black, period.  That may be an obvious point to many, but the reality is a lot of people don't really understand this.  Especially white people in polite society who have an idealized version of how the government works.  A lot of people think that members of Congress are too evolved to think like your average, every day bigot, but they are wrong.  Joy saying flat out "it's because of his color" is not something you hear on TV every day, and I was glad she said it.  There are people who need to hear it.

Never mind the eleventybillion GOP candidates in the debates proclaiming that he's "ruined" the country.  Last night Maddow featured the crosstabs of the most recent South Carolina PPP poll, it's frightening what these people believe, especially Trump supporters.

I'd love to know how Kanye helped Swift's career.....she was accepting a Grammy!

She was accepting a VMA when he jumped on stage proclaiming that Beyonce's ripped off from Fosse choreography Single Ladies video should have won.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 4

The fact Taylor Swift was accepting a VMA proved that she had successfully crossed over on her own. She was a fairly popular country singer (picture to burn...awesome).

With that said, modern day feminism is selective with who they support. Only women that they agree with...not women in general. Kind of defeats the original purpose of feminism back in the 70s...right?

• Love 4

With that said, modern day feminism is selective with who they support. Only women that they agree with...not women in general. Kind of defeats the original purpose of feminism back in the 70s...right?

Heh, this is Albright's saying that she just got scorched for uttering at a Clinton rally in NH. lol  You are right of course, that was the purpose of 2nd wave feminism, 3rd wave, not so much.

• Love 1

What i mean is that he wasn't on his deathbed. He was clearly in good enough spirits to be on vacation and expected to go hunting the following day.

And no I'm not subscribing to any conspiracy theories. I just think an autopsy would be no harm, no foul.

Not responding specifically to your comments, Little Spoon, but more to the content in general:

While I don't completely believe all that I hear in TV news, there were a couple of news outlets who were reporting that Scalia had commented to his hunting buddies before his bedtime that he felt unwell and hadn't been at 100% for a couple of days.  Thus, there was perhaps some forecasting that he was having problems.  Sadly, he didn't recognize how serious it was.

With regard to the autopsy (or lack thereof), over my lifetime I've heard many people express that they thought the process of autopsy was a desecration of a body and, in some cases, a final injury or insult to same.  It's really more emotional than physical, but perhaps this is the thinking of the Scalia family.  "Rest in peace" at its fullest.  The Catholic church does not prohibit autopsy and, in fact, views it as a helpful tool to help others, but I think many Catholics personally feel that God created the body and no-one should put it under additional physical stress if avoidable.  IMO, the Scalia family's stance should be the respected one, in any case.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 4

I want to weep over the fact that people don't know about Paul McCartney. I remember seeing tweets of people a couple years back having no idea and I'm like..mseriously? I'm 32, listened to maybe 2 Beatles songs by accident I think and I KNOW who this man is. And to be turned away from a party by someone name Tyga. I heard of him even though I know nothing about his music.

I missed the first 15 minutes of the show. What was hot topics during that time?

Natalie Cole should have had more done for her at the Grammy's but they already had like how many tributes? Could they have cut one out to make room for a tribute for Natalie or would that have just angered another family of another singer?

• Love 1

I'm offended at the fact that they brought up the Apple situation and NONE of them even did a Google search to find out what it is really about. I'm more convinced than ever that their producers hate them.

• Love 6

CCB, you stupid TWIT, that is a CNN/ORC poll of likely Republican voters that support Trump (38%).

I ♥ Buzzfeed, more of that crap that Trump has spewed over the years needs to come out.

Obama was asked if Trump could be nominated, he refused to answer that Raven, and skirted straight to the General Election.

Paul Ryan can't block a SCOTUS nomination it's a Senate thing, not a House thing, Whoopi (and Joy), so he can posture all he likes - it's to no effect.  This is basic civics ladies.

No tribute to Natalie was a pretty big slap - all I can say is that gosh, we've lost a lot of folks in music in just the last six weeks.

• Love 5

That letter makes it pretty darn clear, unlike the usual salad of misinformation and misunderstanding that pretends to be intelligent discussion on this show.

So Raven doesn't condone the Grammy tribute to David Bowie? Um, what?

Loved, loved how CCB and Raven were corrected about the poll re Trump's popularity.

Edited by Haleth

You know how often we, when having a conversation, will preface a sentence in such a way: 'I'm not a doctor but my understanding is that certain kinds of cancer are still incurable no matter what".  Or "I'm not a lawyer but I think that is not legal".  And so forth.

I think every woman on this panel should have to start every sentence that is going to be a declarative one with "I'm a flat out idiot who doesn't know shit but I get paid to talk anyway so here goes..."

• Love 20

Natalie Cole got hosed. They could have cut ONE of Bieber's awful TWO "songs" - quotes intended -  that were flat imo and went on way too long; and they could have cut one of "The Weeknd's"  TWO songs. SHEEEE-IT I am mad and I'm not her family.  Those two simple cuts would have made room for a decent tribute to Natalie. I am livid. Oh, but she's a woman and she is black.. so read into that what you will. Let me shutty.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 8

Natalie Cole got hosed. They could have cut ONE of Bieber's awful TWO "songs" - quotes intended -  that were flat imo and went on way too long; and they could have cut one of "The Weeknd's"  TWO songs. SHEEEE-IT I am mad and I'm not her family.  Those two simple cuts would have made room for a decent tribute to Natalie. I am livid. Oh, but she's a woman and she is black.. so read into that what you will. Let me shutty.

Two Bieber songs?  Oh man, then there is no excuse.  It's on my dvr but I haven't watched it yet, so I didn't have any context.

Two Bieber songs?  Oh man, then there is no excuse.  It's on my dvr but I haven't watched it yet, so I didn't have any context.

YES. And I feel outraged. The first one was FLAT and long. The second one was much longer during which he did a whole lot of galloping around like a donkey. . No offense to the donkey community.  And the "I cant feel my face when Im with you" dude got two long songs.  Too  "long"  meaning    being relative to some other performances, (not including other tributes which I thought were great) I know several people/icons  died, but to leave Natalie out of the tribute segment was... no words. Yes, she was in Memoriam, but so were obscure producers and executives.  

CCB continues to amaze me in a very bad way. Yikes

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

Even though it was obvious none of them knew what they were talking about in regards to the Apple topic (Joy sat it out almost completely), I did appreciate Sara Haines talking about how dangerous it is to just let the government do anything they want "in the name of national security" after Raven was going on and on about how they should be able to do whatever they want because she'd rather be safe. Raven is the kind of idiot that would sign all their rights away if she got scared enough. Be careful what you wish for.

• Love 4

What was done to Natalie Cole is inexcusable. Not only was she a superstar in her prime, he father was an icon. Her shelf life was much longer than Bieber's will ever be. I don't know who the Weeknd is, but, that's the stupidest name I've ever heard.

• Love 5

You know how often we, when having a conversation, will preface a sentence in such a way: 'I'm not a doctor but my understanding is that certain kinds of cancer are still incurable no matter what". Or "I'm not a lawyer but I think that is not legal". And so forth.

I think every woman on this panel should have to start every sentence that is going to be a declarative one with "I'm a flat out idiot who doesn't know shit but I get paid to talk anyway so here goes..."

Love it!

You wd think at least Joy wd raise hell to get some accurate info from producers. The others, not so much.

• Love 2

What was done to Natalie Cole is inexcusable. Not only was she a superstar in her prime, he father was an icon. Her shelf life was much longer than Bieber's will ever be. I don't know who the Weeknd is, but, that's the stupidest name I've ever heard.

THIS ^^^ -- times ten ...and the thousand suns thing.

Inexcusable !

And for whatever reason "the weeknd"  (who is an individual, oddly enough) doesn't even spell the word correctly. But back to the show topic, yeah Natalie got screwed. (in lieu of the likes of Weeknd and Biebs)

I agree that Whoopi may be out of weed. She seems off.. more than usual.

Edited by ari333

I'm still surprised no one really read the apple letter on the panel..or seemed to have read it. Pretty straight forward.

Surprised CCB went on Jimmy fallon.

I actually don't mind Sara nor Sunny, they at least provide a nice contrast. I wish Sunny had been on when discussing Kanye..would have been interested to get her take.

http://www.chicagonow.com/confessions-coffeeholic/2016/02/apple-letter-personal-privacy-overall-security/

It can't be lack of weed for the Whoopster because she has a medical card and can get whatever she wants. She probably vapes in her dressing room as much as she wants. Maybe she needs a stronger indica strain to calm her down a bit, lol. I think maybe she is getting super pissed that she's on her way out and can't do anything about it. Her ego doesn't do well without being in control. One can hope she sees the end of this gig.

• Love 4

The show has a habit of complaining about in memoriam segments on award shows.  I think it's something that Whoopi cares a great deal about so they make it into a hot topic.  Natalie Cole has dropped off the radar, and isn't really in the league of Bowie.  Whoopi just thinks that award shows mean something, when I feel like the general public has moved and think they are boring except for the fashion show.

• Love 4

With the red lipstick, Raven's eye makeup looked Asian-influenced. I like her different looks, although not all are winners. Its arty fer sure.

My first thought today was that she looked older (middled-aged) with her hair that way. Or maybe it was her double chin (this from a person carrying an extra 80 lbs. I bought veggies yesterday. ..working out today too).

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 2

Oh Jeebus Cripes. Where do I start? I had planned on a very good post yesterday but I fell asleep at 3:00ish yesterday afternoon, and when I opened my eyes, it was 2:49 a.m. THIS morning! (Don't ask; just suffice it to say, Insomnia is a BITCH that won't DIE!)

Ahem.

First, CJ don't look like a happy dog for a dog who won the Westminster! Just bored and apathetic. But I don't know what to say about him, that he couldn't be bothered when Whoopi and Sarah pet him, yet got up and licked Candace's face! Is it mean of me to say I wish he hadn't won? I can't believe my distaste and contempt for Candace has bled out to other beings who do like her.

And how niiiiiiice that this twit pulls out of her ass Chuck Schumer using the "Thurmond Rule" nine years ago, when it was a hypothetical, in comparison to the dickwads that compose of our Speaker and members of Congress, who don't wait to see who President Obama has nominated, and before Scalia is even cold in his grave, to announce here and everywhere, they don't care who is nominated, they will make sure he or she isn't appointed! Even if said nominee is qualified. FACEPALMFACEPALMFACEPALMFACEPALM AND HEADBANGONWALLHEADBANGONWALLHEADBANGONWALL.

That's not to say that Democrats don't do this either, and maybe watching this show again has kilted some working brain cells, but I don't recall them doing so before someone was actually nominated.  I remember, yeeeeeears ago, when Reagan nominated that asshole Bork? How he made it to the hearings before he was rejected. Or...did he withdraw on his own? Either way, good thing for us, he was never appointed.

Good grief about the FBI demands on Apple. Like someone mentioned upthread...was it merriebreeze, that all any of these women had to do was read the letter out loud, so Whoopi would understand the gibberish she was spouting was...gibberish. And I'm totally on Apple's side here.  Let Raven become a victim of the government going into her most personal and private life and making it public and see if she's perfectly happy because she will be safe.   I was hoping Joy would have had Ben Franklin's statement that he who agrees to give up liberty, doesn't deserve liberty. (I know I'm mucking that up, hence paraphrasing without quotation marks).

And I'm so glad Sarah at least, spoke up, about what a dangerous precedent this would set. Bad enough we're already in a Big Brother society. To give up ALL my rights and liberties? Because the FBI can't go old tech to get the goods on the bad guys? National Security, my ass.

And I know I will get reamed, but for fuck's sake, I am now getting really sick and tired of the fucking word "authentic." It's been so overused and it's now the only buzz word I hear everyone saying!

• Love 4

I agree with Joy. You don't have to scream expletives at people about how great you are if you really are great. Kanye is an egomaniacal turd imo. I wish he'd go away and take his wife with him to another galaxy.

Eye rolls are a sign of contempt. (imo)  Just sayin'

• Love 11

I enjoyed seeing Star Jones. Maybe not my favorite co-host ever, but she made the new co-hosts look like the incomprehensible idiots they are. I’d love Star to be guest co-host one day and watch her decimate Paula and Candace.

I enjoyed Star back in the day except for her Bridezilla times. She's smart. I'd be fine with her coming back full time.

• Love 7

So did I miss anything good? Was on road as the ep was airing so I got to miss it

Star was good imo. If she came back, with Joy and add back in Lisa Ling this show would be watchable again. (imo) Even Debbie M was less annoying than some of the ones they have now... CCB, Paula, Raven, Michelle.  Lisa would never come back, but I can dream.

• Love 2

Oh Jeebus Cripes. Where do I start? I had planned on a very good post yesterday but I fell asleep at 3:00ish yesterday afternoon, and when I opened my eyes, it was 2:49 a.m. THIS morning! (Don't ask; just suffice it to say, Insomnia is a BITCH that won't DIE!)

Ahem.

First, CJ don't look like a happy dog for a dog who won the Westminster! Just bored and apathetic. But I don't know what to say about him, that he couldn't be bothered when Whoopi and Sarah pet him, yet got up and licked Candace's face! Is it mean of me to say I wish he hadn't won? I can't believe my distaste and contempt for Candace has bled out to other beings who do like her.

And how niiiiiiice that this twit pulls out of her ass Chuck Schumer using the "Thurmond Rule" nine years ago, when it was a hypothetical, in comparison to the dickwads that compose of our Speaker and members of Congress, who don't wait to see who President Obama has nominated, and before Scalia is even cold in his grave, to announce here and everywhere, they don't care who is nominated, they will make sure he or she isn't appointed! Even if said nominee is qualified. FACEPALMFACEPALMFACEPALMFACEPALM AND HEADBANGONWALLHEADBANGONWALLHEADBANGONWALL.

That's not to say that Democrats don't do this either, and maybe watching this show again has kilted some working brain cells, but I don't recall them doing so before someone was actually nominated.  I remember, yeeeeeears ago, when Reagan nominated that asshole Bork? How he made it to the hearings before he was rejected. Or...did he withdraw on his own? Either way, good thing for us, he was never appointed.

Good grief about the FBI demands on Apple. Like someone mentioned upthread...was it merriebreeze, that all any of these women had to do was read the letter out loud, so Whoopi would understand the gibberish she was spouting was...gibberish. And I'm totally on Apple's side here.  Let Raven become a victim of the government going into her most personal and private life and making it public and see if she's perfectly happy because she will be safe.   I was hoping Joy would have had Ben Franklin's statement that he who agrees to give up liberty, doesn't deserve liberty. (I know I'm mucking that up, hence paraphrasing without quotation marks).

And I'm so glad Sarah at least, spoke up, about what a dangerous precedent this would set. Bad enough we're already in a Big Brother society. To give up ALL my rights and liberties? Because the FBI can't go old tech to get the goods on the bad guys? National Security, my ass.

And I know I will get reamed, but for fuck's sake, I am now getting really sick and tired of the fucking word "authentic." It's been so overused and it's now the only buzz word I hear everyone saying!

Knowing her she doesn't use makeup that is tested on animals.  She wears makeup she first tests on animals before applying it.  Then again maybe that isn't an inch of foundation, maybe she is just a messy eater and eats a lot of greasy pork products for breakfast and then blots with powder. 

And again, by today someone on that panel should have figured out that the Thurmond Rule is a theory.  It has never been used. It has been talked about.  It has been mentioned and threatened but never used.  Ever.  Not once.  And it is not a rule since it is no part of law but was a partisan aimed suggestion.  Just as it has been every other time.  It is nothing but sabre rattling with an empty sheath. 

I wonder how sanguine Raven would be if the FBI decided to go after King (is it Entertainment?  The company that invented and hold Candy Crush and forced them to halt all U.S. online gaming until they decided it was not a front for any kind of terrorism or anti-American activity?   I'll be the Director could hold a news conference tomorrow declaring they found that hidden in the games were all kinds of illegal activity that posed a threat to all Americans and the games were being taken off their U.S, platform servers making them unavailable to any US citizens for play.  And Raven would be singing a different tune.  Her baby-bird need for immediate gratification and the inability to see a bigger picture that doesn't simply feed that is simply alarming for a woman her age.  Alarming though less shocking in a young woman half her age. 

Edited by tenativelyyours
  • Love 2

Re the Grammy discussion yesterday,  to quote info from poster tom87 from  the Grammy thread:

Bowie only won one grammy and it was for a short video.

Cole - 21 nominations, 9 wins over 32 years

Bowie - 10 nomination , 1 win

BBM

Just saying that Natalie got screwed imo.  Sorry to belabor, but Im still steamed. I need a life. :-)

• Love 5