Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 02/15/16

Fisher King
  • Start Topic

I would think that if it was your job to go on TV and talk about things like a Town Hall meeting the presidential candidates did the night before - and it turns out there were two on at the same time on different channels - maybe you could utilize any one of the numerous RECORDING DEVICES available on the market today.  Tivo, a DVR .... it just is not that complicated.  Literally, one click of the button and Cameron could have taped Trump and watched him later.  No need to click back and forth, no need to just skip one.  Just a thought, Cameron.  Maybe one of your teenagers could show you how to do it. 

I loved Star calling out Trump for failing to provide the kind of detailed plans he himself would insist on seeing before embarking on any business deal.  So many former Celeb Apprentice contestants go on kissing his ass long after their time on the show and it makes me sick.  

• Love 14

Air headed Sara Haines is back!!! Click.

I didn't watch yesterday so not sure if she was there also. I'd rather have Bitsy.

Please do not wish Bits on us, Vinyasa! She's like Candyman. Do not say her name too many times in a row lest she appear and terrorize us all! :-)

• Love 7

I noticed that twice during her attempt to defend her own dumbass defense of Kanye, Miss Whoopi tried to use things that have been said on the show before by the other women.  But her "but but but you said girls need to have strong egos, why the double standard for Kanye?" and again with the "you all are always saying people just put everything out there on twitter, why can't Kanye?" (paraphrasing) were way off base. 

The thing about young girls needing to have high self-esteem/strong ego is because they are going to need it to deal with all the kicks in the ass the world has in store for them .... it is NOT the same thing as Kanye West claiming he is more influential than Apostle Paul or Picasso.  That is just an over-inflated sense of self-importance, which is not the same thing as "self esteem."  And begging Mark Zuckerberg for a billion dollars on twitter is just bizarro, not your typical oversharing on social media situation.  It's just freakin' weirdo stuff, and I agree with the chick at the end (the pregnant one) who said it looks like Kanye is coming off his spool when he says this stuff.

And for the record, when John Lennon said the Beatles were more popular than Jesus, he was hardly spewing Kanye-grade bullshit.  Whoopi bringing up his statement as a comparison to what Kanye said was crap.  In no way was John Lennon saying the Beatles were superior to Jesus (which is what Kanye was saying about himself vis-a-vis Apostle Paul and Picasso).  He was expressing his opinion about the decline of Christianity, and he was merely using the Beatles' popularity as a point of comparison.  It sucks that Whoopi would take it upon herself to correct whoever it was for using the word "bigger" in the quote when the word was "popular," and then totally blow the most important part of the statement: it's actual substance.

• Love 16

OMG! I can't believe I forgot to rant mention this bit of business that had my jaw drop to the floor:

How is it possible that everyone, in the MUSIC INDUSTRY, does not know WHO Paul Fucking! McCartney is?! And I don't even know who that dude was. Tyga? WTF? And how McCartney reacted showed how CLASSY the man is. He didn't argue, but just turned around and left, instead of getting all pompous and demanding or saying "Don't you know who I AM?" Which a lot of today's "celebrities" do. FUCK OFF AND DIE, TYGA! You only WISH you could have the success that Paul McCartney does. (FLAMES ON THE SIDE OF MY FACE!).

Today:

Of COURSE Candace would be the only one "OKAY" and FINE WITH having her children carry and tote a gun on their person at a university. Because clearing a background check and knowing how to use a gun is proof that they're experts and knowing or being able to discern who the "bad guy" is, or not accidentally kill or shoot someone they think might be the bad guy. Because there's never any panic or confusion when there are shootings at school. so STFU, Candace.

And what the hell was Raven's problem? Did she think if Star accidentally breathed on her, she would get the Cooties? So fucking unprofessional.

I loved having Star back. She added some much needed intelligence, without having to use the "gender" card when stating why she's stumping for and for Hillary. And of course, what she said about Trump.

Did love Joy today as well.

That whole Kanye "discussion" was one big hot mess.

I can understand why some people might not like Sara, and I'm neutral about her, but my definition of an airhead? Or when someone says airhead? I think of Chrissy Snow.  And Sara is no Chrissy Snow.  Actually, I think airhead fits Bitsy much better, considering the word salads she made us me suffer through.

And since I don't give any figgity or bluedilly fucks about Candace or her home life, family, the ff button got its use today.

And not for nothin' but they BETTER mention Harriet Tubman this month! And Marian Anderson, Alex Haley...Martin Luther King, Jr., Rosa Parks! Just to name a few who I haven't seen mentioned yet this month.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6

I know this is a hack thing to say , but Im going to say it. Kanye is a legend in his own mind.

Kanye,  muzzle yourself and launch yourself into space. Give us all a break. ThnxK. I dont' hide it. This man makes me sick. His daughter is North and his son is SAINT. Yea for male crotch fruit !! I feel sorry for the daughter. .... well.. and the son.

Whoever turned away Sir Paul McCartney should be taken out back....

But I have to ask why would Paul want to be at a Tyga party in the first place? Isn't that beneath him? Serious question.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 5

Please do not wish Bits on us, Vinyasa! She's like Candyman. Do not say her name too many times in a row lest she appear and terrorize us all! :-)

Ha! I hear you. But I'm so stick of airhead Sara Haines. Just saw that she was on yesterday, so twice this week and I bet she is there tomorrow.

Have the people on the website at the table. Is it that difficult????

The View is ABC Daytime's morning chatfest, featuring Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, Candace Cameron Bure, Michelle Collins, Paula Faris, and Raven-Symoné discussing the most exciting events of the day.

• Love 1

That winner dog looked sedated to me.

I watched Westminster, but I didn't see the German Shorthaired Pointer who won on the show yesterday, darn it.  But from what I gather reading here he was exactly the same dog on this show that he was in the ring.  Absolutely unflappable, totally calm.  That's a pointer for you.  And this dog is the BEST of the BEST.  Seriously, that dog has brains of a neurosurgeon and the nerves of a test pilot.  He wasn't drugged, lol !!!  During the dog show he never took his eyes off his handler, never looked at another dog ... he had absolutely no reaction to thousands of screaming people in the stands at the dog show.  I am not surprised to read people found him unusually calm.

He was also probably extra-reserved because he could feel his brain cells dying while in the company of these bozos and couldn't wait to get out of there, so there's that, too. 

• Love 12

I watched Westminster, but I didn't see the German Shorthaired Pointer who won on the show yesterday, darn it.  But from what I gather reading here he was exactly the same dog on this show that he was in the ring.  Absolutely unflappable, totally calm.  That's a pointer for you.  And this dog is the BEST of the BEST.  Seriously, that dog has brains of a neurosurgeon and the nerves of a test pilot.  He wasn't drugged, lol !!!  During the dog show he never took his eyes off his handler, never looked at another dog ... he had absolutely no reaction to thousands of screaming people in the stands at the dog show.  I am not surprised to read people found him unusually calm.

He was also probably extra-reserved because he could feel his brain cells dying while in the company of these bozos and couldn't wait to get out of there, so there's that, too. 

Except for when he got up and started licking Candace's face when she bent down to pet him. He remained calm and unperturbed when Whoopi and Sara pet him. But Candace? He wasn't lookin' at his handler then.

• Love 1

Except for when he got up and started licking Candace's face when she bent down to pet him. He remained calm and unperturbed when Whoopi and Sara pet him. But Candace? He wasn't lookin' at his handler then.

None of God's  beings can resist that which is Candace. [/snerk]

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

The brains of a neurosurgeon -- like Ben Carson?  (Meaning no disrespect to the wonderful dog.)

• Love 6

You mean "can't" right?

I thought the dog licked CCB's face (I didn't see it)  so he couldn't resist... so none can resist.  Am I having an English brain fart? It won't be the first time.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

I thought the dog licked CCB's face (I didn't see it)  so he couldn't resist... so none can resist.  Am I having an English brain fart? It won't be the first time.

Oops! My bad. I blame INSOMNIA!!! My eyes just blurred past your "none" so your "can resist" is correct! And yes, CJ, the dog, did indeed lick Candace's face.

• Love 1

Dogs always take pity on the simple-minded.  

eta: she had also probably been kissing someone's ass and he could smell it on her face ... few dogs can resist that.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 19

They're going to have to discuss the Trumpster taking on The Pope, no less, tomorrow, right? Who can defend Trump? Not Candace. She's a self-declared any R but Trump supporter. Only Paula's left.

Interesting that someone on The View's FB page commented that they aren't all talking over each other so much. Has Miss Whoopi been taken down a notch? But I did think one remark she made in defending Kanye was sorta on point, i.e. he's trying to survive after marrying into a family that eats men.

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 4

As far as Kanye's marriage, he gets what he signed up for.  imo

Oops! My bad. I blame INSOMNIA!!! My eyes just blurred past your "none" so your "can resist" is correct! And yes, CJ, the dog, did indeed lick Candace's face.

Insomnia's a bitch! I know! No worries :-)

• Love 3

Let's see how happy Candace is, sending her kids to school, where others are carrying guns - and, I don't wish this on anyone - something goes down. All talk, Candace. STFU. You are even *more* moronic than I could *ever* have imagined.

• Love 9

Kanye has only been married to Kim for a couple of years. He was an ass waaaay before that.

Totally agree! Point taken.

But if the Kardashians are man-eaters, then he signed up for it ... was my point.

• Love 7

Let's see how happy Candace is, sending her kids to school, where others are carrying guns - and, I don't wish this on anyone - something goes down. All talk, Candace. STFU. You are even *more* moronic than I could *ever* have imagined.

I was only half listening, since CCB has no problems with kids having guns in school, was she asked if she would want her own kids to carry guns?

Just send her back to CA and let her blatter on about Fuller House off of my TV.

• Love 7

This will sound cray, but I will say it anyway.

Maybe some lunatic who wants to shoot up a school will think twice about it if he knows that some folks in the room are armed. I know. I know.

I know it even as I type it. But to be honest, I did think about it.

As many people have pointed out before, in times of crisis and panic, it would be very unusual for a "good guy" to take out a "bad guy" without possibly shooting other people. You can have a license and training, but that doesn't mean you'll be an excellent marksman in an extremely agitated state. Add that to the fact that the police who arrive at the scene would be apt to take out anyone who is displaying a gun in an active shooter situation. 

There is no way I would be comfortable with my children in a school with guns all over the place. And as Joy pointed out, a teacher would have no say so in keeping them out of the classroom. I don't know what we have come to in this country thinking that more guns is a good thing. Thank goodness I moved out of Texas many years ago, although many other states are just as crazy.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 20

As many people have pointed out before, in times of crisis and panic, it would be very unusual for a "good guy" to take out a "bad guy" without possibly shooting other people. You can have a license and training, but that doesn't mean you'll be an excellent marksman in an extremely agitated state. Add that to the fact that the police who arrive at the scene would be apt to take out anyone who is displaying a gun in an active shooter situation. 

There is no way I would be comfortable with my children in a school with guns all over the place. And as Joy pointed out, a teacher would have no say so in keeping them out of the classroom. I don't know what we have come to in this country thinking that more guns is a good thing. Thank goodness I moved out of Texas many years ago, although many other states are just as crazy.

I totally agree and see your point. However, I find it horrifying for people to be sitting ducks for some moron who wants to walk in  and shoot anything and anyone  in sight. I  do see your points and agree. I don't know the answer. Is there  not some way to have metal detectors at all entrances and exits  so people cannot just walk in with a gun? Whatever money that costs would be well worth it.

I didn't mean to suggest that more guns is a good thing. I would just like to see good people (background checks, thorough) able to fight  back at some loon who is out to kill as many as possible,

It's not like these shootings are few and far between., They are frequent and horrifying with many dying. There has to be a better way than what it is now.

Edited by ari333

The funny thing is that whenever there is a mass shooting, or an attempt at one, gun advocates start pointing the finger at the violence in movies and the gaming industry.   Not the ease of which guns can be acquired or the lack of any type of responsibility mandated along with ownership (funny how they don't have that type of laissez-faire approach to the even more intrinsic fights as a US citizen to an unimpeded access to a voting booth).  But rather trying to link some kind of outside influence.  These days mostly computer games.

So tell me.  Say they were right?  If violent games that involve first person shooting type scenarios are the driving motivation to such killings and that is what we should be preventing?  Isn't arming a bunch of kids and teachers antithetical to that kind of philosophy?  All you are doing is bumping up the perceived difficulty level.  All you are doing is making more a thrill right? 

And again, all someone needs to do is ask CCB how many shootings have been stopped by a random gun carrier?   Also in a school shooting situation it is often a student that perpetuates it.  So you have one or more students murdering with open fire.  You have another student pull out his or her gun to respond and the police show up.  Which kid with a gun in his hand firing do they take out first?  Care to be the parent of the kid that is responding in such a situation.  How about that CCB?  Do you want your child possibly firing a gun in a massacre situation when the armed authorities show up?  Or do you think somehow the bad guys will make sure to wear black hats and be easily recognized as the villains?

• Love 11

Sorry I missed today's show….enjoyed reading the posts though!  

Would have liked to see Star on the panel and the Kanye-is-Krazy discussion.  Whoopi was still seriously defending him and comparing him to John Lennon?  Celia R has the correct Lennon reference above.  Whoopi you're an idiot.  There are many reports floating out there that even the entire Kardashian family is mystified by his behaviour and his wife seems to be appalled at the Twitter lunacy.  Whatever.  It's not normal egotistical behaviour…it's beyond.

And f*****g Tyga's thugs turn away Sir Paul….really?   Is the little brat going to wear that as a badge of honour?  

• Love 6

Unfortunately ari333, we are all sitting ducks when it comes to a person who wants to shoot up a place with a high powered automatic gun. Can you imagine the  additional carnage that would have ensued during the Colorado movie theater shootings when the guy was shooting in a dark theater if a bunch of people whipped out their guns and started firing all over the place? It's sad that we live in a society where there are mentally ill people who have such easy access to guns.

Also I think about the two girls in the Arizona school who were victims of murder suicide. Even though the discussion is about colleges and universities, is it a good idea to have so many guns readily available if a young, emotional student is depressed about their boyfriend or girlfriend or maybe angry about getting flunking grades? I just don't see how any good can come from this.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 9

I see all of your points, but seeing these kids being picked off is horrifying. At least someone could take a shot at the shooter. Someone would have a fighting chance. And the ones who die are already dead with the AK47s etc that these folks use to kill mass numbers of people. I don't want to tick everyone off. here I just think the sitting duck thing is terrible. Maybe just make it harder to enter  school with a weapon.. IDK the answer. All I know is what we're doing now isn't working so well.

Kenz I  see your point about additional carnage. However, if the gunman knows GOING  IN  that folks will shoot back... he may re think his whole behavior and retreat or toss the whole idea.   I guess I am going for a deterrent motive here.  

There wont be additional carnage if the gunman is too scared to enter in the first place.

Unfortunately, college campuses are NOT like elementary or high schools, where all classes are located in one building.  And sorry, I can't agree that if someone who is going in, knows that it's possible other students may also be packing would deter them? No, if they're desperate/arrogant/evil enough to do this, they probably think no way would said students be able to stop him/her.

As for whoever it was that said to hire security, I had to roll my eyes.  College campuses have Campus Police.  If it would work or be possible, set up some way to notify them, like bank tellers have the button when robbers appear, assuming that that wasn't a Hollywood thing, and have some sort of intercom/emergency alarm, or whatever. I really don't know what the answer is. What I do know, and feel, is that arming students is NOT the answer. What if the student, thinks they're a great shot, and misses? And hits another innocent student? The cons really outweigh the pros to this. There's the adrenaline and fear factor.

I don't think Candace really thought about what the reality is, and what would she do, God forbid, if one of her children was a casualty, or, was the one that killed another innocent student/bystander/teacher?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 8

Ari333, I can appreciate your frustration at being a sitting duck, but I don't think most of these unstable shooters would be afraid if some people started fumbling around for their guns. I think their purpose is to kill as many people as quickly as possible, and they are prepared to die by the police after the event or they kill themselves.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 12

I guess I fail to see all the 'what ifs' offered that simply put more guns and more bullets into a situation that aren't in the hands of law enforcement.  How about what if we apply the same restrictions to getting the exercise the right to vote to the right to bear arms?  How about all the same states that see making more and more hurdles to getting to a voting booth to exercise that Constitutional Right apply the same logic to their loosie goosie gun laws?  How about we instead treat guns the way we treat cars even and how we have to abide by certain limitations and certain steps to obtain and keep them?

I would love to see some fantasy fulfilled where a gunman is taken down.  i would love for crazy to suddenly act with logic and fear the presence of guns.  But I live in a real world that I think would be just a likely to have a student drop her gun while getting something out of her purse and be riddled with the bullets of an over zealous fellow gun carrier.  I would be afraid that the same teacher that forgets to take his coffee cup off the top if his car before pulling out for his morning commute would forget to put the safety on.   That the same kids that take out their new phone to show off would do the same with their new Smith and Wesson -- with tragic results.  If I don't trust someone with the right to vote why should I trust them to act in a situation that they could find themselves in with a gun they might not otherwise do.

And if you suddenly have permitted guns, how do you know who comes in with a bad gun?  And maybe guns would scare someone.  Maybe it would challenge them.  Maybe they would realize they could walk in with their gun and not be noticed until it was too late?  How do you recognize a bad gun from a good gun?  until it is starts firing and killing people.  Oops too late.

And to let guns into a school legally like this would be to...what?  What kind of safeguards will you impose.  Oh that's right.  Anything along those line is going against the Constitution.  Because you can't do that.  Which is why we find a mother blithely asserting her kids could carry a gun if they had to.  The same Hair and makeup fool that thinks girls might break a nail if they are in combat.  When putting guns in the hands of students and teachers is doing just that.   Instead of applying measures that regulate, instead make it a free for all.  And hope the bad guys are too scared to come to the OK Coral Middle School.  Because armed security guards have prevented every robbery since their inception just by being there.  If someone wants to go on a killing spree and have the access to weapons they will.  If this so called hoped for promise of more guns making it less likely all they will do is get weapons that shoot further and faster.  And now they might just be able to do that in art class next period. 

Arms escalation on any level has never worked.  And if CCB's kids fall close to that tree?  I shudder at the idea of any of them having a loaded weapon in their hands.  And I say that about pretty much the entire field of people I know.  Love, loathe or simply indifferent to.

If the argument is "what if" when there is determined refusal to first address "what is" it does not matter.  We have plenty of what is true about past situations that we will not address thanks to the more guns ideology.  So I refuse to play make believe and lets pretend as we refuse to do anything actual about the matter.

• Love 11

Raven is so rude and it makes roll my eyes when the panel laughs at her indiosyncracies as if they are cute. They aren't!

Loved seeing Star. She is so intelligent but also had a fun side that helped make the show what it was for so long...plus her exit was EPIC.

Also... So much of what Whoopi says is straight up illogical and contradictory... Why can't ANYONE point that out?? I know they hear it but no one ever does. It's bizarro world.

Edited by geekburger
  • Love 8

Whoopi says college should be free because in America "everyone has the right to an education?"  yeah, and there IS free education through 12th grade.  

My objection to free college goes like this -  my kids made sacrifices, I made sacrifices, to get them through college.  They are paying back their student loans. WHy should they have to pay additional taxes to fund other people going to college?

• Love 2

I am so freaking SICK of  these women, but especially Raven, reading something some random person posted on Twitter.  It's bad enough that the twitter posts are shown on the bottom of the screen, why are they reading them?   And the way Raven does it - she reads a post with this smug little attitude, then nods, purses her lips together and nods, to give her approval of whatever it is.   Express your OWN opinion, don't just read what someone posted online!  It's like Bitsy used to do with her "some people are saying....."  it's a way of expressing an opinion with taking ownership of the opinion. 

If I want to read Twitter, I will.  I don't need these people to read it aloud to me. 

and it's not just opinions - today's show had random posts from twitter answering the question  - how often do you talk to your mom?   Is anyone interested in reading how one complete stranger talks to his/her mom every day, while someone else does every week?   I DON"T CARE.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 8

Exactly - these are random strangers - I could care less as well. At least if the question is asked have the panel answer because we kinda know (most) of them.

Not that hearing Raven on her mother is a treat - it seems like they are always fighting if they chat.

• Love 1

guns on college campuses -   from a parents' perspective. 

8 years ago this week, there was a shooting  at my son's school (NIU)  21 people shot, 5 killed, then the gunman killed himself.   He had a bunch of guns.

my son was on campus, an alarm went out, students were told to stay where they were (if not in the building where the shooting was)  and find safety.  my son was on his way to his dorm, so that's where he went, along with hundreds of others.

SO - what if he, or someone else, had a gun?   I think he would have felt some responsibility to go to the scene and take action.   But what action?   the gunman was determined to take out as many people as he could, and then kill himself.   So if a student shows up and starts firing at a suicidal shooter,  (one that has an entire arsenal)   the student who is trying to help would likely be shot as well. 

That's my fear -  that a student carrying a gun, instead of going somewhere safe, AWAY from the shooting, would go TOWARD it, thinking he can do something.  And then get killed trying to be a hero.  

Sure, if someone who happened to be right there in the lecture hall was carrying a gun, they might have been able to have some affect, maybe fewer people would be dead.  Or maybe not, because it would have been hard to get out a gun and then shoot, faster than the guy with several loaded guns  was already shooting.  And pointing a gun at someone who is actively shooting makes you a target. 

I guess what I'm getting to is -  CCB is OK with guns on campus, thinking it would deter shootings.  But would it?  the school shootings I think of -  NIU, Columbine -  the shooter's plan was to die.   so, if he knows that others might be carrying guns, it makes zero difference in his plans.

• Love 8

And what the hell was Raven's problem? Did she think if Star accidentally breathed on her, she would get the Cooties? So fucking unprofessional.

I loved having Star back. She added some much needed intelligence, without having to use the "gender" card when stating why she's stumping for and for Hillary. And of course, what she said about Trump.

Did love Joy today as well.

That whole Kanye "discussion" was one big hot mess.

I can understand why some people might not like Sara, and I'm neutral about her, but my definition of an airhead? Or when someone says airhead? I think of Chrissy Snow.  And Sara is no Chrissy Snow.  Actually, I think airhead fits Bitsy much better, considering the word salads she made us me suffer through.

And since I don't give any figgity or bluedilly fucks about Candace or her home life, family, the ff button got its use today.

And not for nothin' but they BETTER mention Harriet Tubman this month! And Marian Anderson, Alex Haley...Martin Luther King, Jr., Rosa Parks! Just to name a few who I haven't seen mentioned yet this month.

I agree re Raven.  That was totally unprofessional.  When a guest comes out, don't grab all the attention by running away like a 6 year old.  She really thinks she's adorable and entertaining, but the reality is that she's obnoxious and incredibly immature.  Rule #1 of having a guest is making them feel welcome.  She did the exact opposite.  Star has never been one of my favorites, but Raven on her best day will never, ever come close to Star on her worst day.  She really should have been a whole lot more gracious and shown some respect.  

I also agree re Sara.  She's far from an airhead, IMO, and some days she's one of the few voices of reason.  I think she's intelligent and articulate, and I love how she doesn't talk over the other women or hog the spotlight.  She's also good at conversation, and never tries to dominate or hog the spotlight.  Bitsy = airhead.  Yes, I so agree with that!  I don't think Sara and Bitsy are alike in any way at all.  Bitsy was irritating on a never-ending basis, and IMO Sara fits in pretty well and does a good job.

I could be wrong, but I think they're purposely highlighting people during Black History Month who are lesser known than the names you mentioned.  I thought the point was that everyone has heard of a handful of black people with great accomplishments (Rosa Parks, MLK, Jr, etc), but that there are so many more who are pretty much unknown and should be recognized as well. 

Edited by DebbieM4
  • Love 13

Also... So much of what Whoopi says is straight up illogical and contradictory... Why can't ANYONE point that out?? I know they hear it but no one ever does. It's bizarro world.

Maybe they are trying to figure out what her point is, as I often do.  When poorly articulated sputtering and "what the hell, bitch?" passes for an argument, it's not easy to translate that to a coherent though.

Whoopi says college should be free because in America "everyone has the right to an education?"  yeah, and there IS free education through 12th grade.  

My objection to free college goes like this -  my kids made sacrifices, I made sacrifices, to get them through college.  They are paying back their student loans. WHy should they have to pay additional taxes to fund other people going to college?

My husband was saying something similar last night.  We paid for our kids' undergrad degrees, why should we have to pay for other kids?  

• Love 1

I'm for a socialized entry level post-secondary school continued educational program.  But the problem is I am also for universal health care and we still don't have that.  I would love to see a strong apprenticeship program that would bring jobs back that benefit communities.  I grew up in a small rural town among three huge universities.  And in the last decade businesses close.  Not just because of the huge box stores but because no one wants to learn how to measure sew and hang drapes for instance.  No one wants to learn how just not to bake the items but how to manage a bakery.  So we keep getting lesser and lesser qualities of workmanship.  I grew up with fantastic bake good shops.  None exist now.  Wegmans does okay and Whole Foods and Trader Joes.  But all mediocre compared to the local artistry we used to have.

So I would love to set up a system of public work for basic salary and benefits that you contract to for so many years in exchange for so many years of a scholarship.  I would love more doctors signing on for free public health clinics in exchange for free education. 

And as mentioned there is the problem of paying for it.  We refuse as a nation to eliminate (and so easily done for the most part) hunger in our own backyard.  We continue to let people die for lack of health care in our own backyard.  And what we turn a blind eye to around the world is heinous.  Syria Syria Syria and Iraq and Iran and Africa we pretend does not exist.

But I am not Whoopi Goldberg.  I am not someone who is already probably richer than I will ever be and if she applied herself I suspect could be even richer.  And with that wealth and privilege that it brings I am not bitching on air about my taxes....You know.  the things they use to pay for the free education already mentioned.  Which across the board here in the US already sucks.  So why does she advocate what is essentially the running stage in development when she whines about funding the walking stage?  Which needs such vast improvement before we throw money at the idea that a college degree fixes everything?  I'm a double Ivy and I don't consider my education to truly have been worth the money that probably a good two year internship in my field right out of high school would not have done better.

• Love 5

Okay...I'm half-here.  Knee replacement surgery a week ago and my pain meds have been making me sick.

Getting new prescription today.  I was looking forward to catching up on TV, books, phone calls, etc.  Nope...Leave. Me. Alone.

I did catch one part of "The View" when Candace 'splained to Joy that a priest or pastor MUST give details of a confession if it involves a serious crime.

No, Candace, it doesn't.  The criminal may confess to the priest and the priest may not turn him in.   Why would there be such a thing as "Seal of the Confessional"?  Wiki tells me:  In a criminal matter, a priest may encourage the penitent to surrender to authorities. However, this is the extent of the leverage he wields. He may not directly or indirectly disclose the matter to civil authorities himself. The doctrine of priest–penitent privilege is respected to varying degrees by the laws of different nations.

Okay...back to my walker, spit bath, and ride to the doc's office.

• Love 7

Ari333, I can appreciate your frustration at being a sitting duck, but I don't think most of these unstable shooters would be afraid if some people started fumbling around for their guns. I think their purpose is to kill as many people as quickly as possible, and they are prepared to die by the police after the event or they kill themselves.

Tentativelyours said it best. Too many ways for a situation with more folks carrying guns to go sideways.

My view is that shooters--mentally ill or terrorist or both) DON'T THINK. They may have a crazy goal, but don't care abt anyone/anything else. They don't care if they die also. More guns will not help.

I have lived in Colorado for 25 years. Know staff from Columbine. When I go to the theater (abt 3x per year), i look around and plan my escape, and try to note anyone who comes in after show started. I accept that this is the society I live in today. NRA is a powerful force.

I believe many people buy guns (aside from real hunters) for protection. Carrying it outside of their homes (yes, and inside), adds to the likelihood of the firearm going off or being used as a "go to" method of protection from a real or perceived threat.

God, are we all going to be barricading ourselves in our homes with only electronic connections to the outside world, even more than we now do?

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 6

Okay...I'm half-here.  Knee replacement surgery a week ago and my pain meds have been making me sick.

Getting new prescription today.  I was looking forward to catching up on TV, books, phone calls, etc.  Nope...Leave. Me. Alone.

I did catch one part of "The View" when Candace 'splained to Joy that a priest or pastor MUST give details of a confession if it involves a serious crime.

No, Candace, it doesn't.  The criminal may confess to the priest and the priest may not turn him in.   Why would there be such a thing as "Seal of the Confessional"?  Wiki tells me:  In a criminal matter, a priest may encourage the penitent to surrender to authorities. However, this is the extent of the leverage he wields. He may not directly or indirectly disclose the matter to civil authorities himself. The doctrine of priest–penitent privilege is respected to varying degrees by the laws of different nations.

Okay...back to my walker, spit bath, and ride to the doc's office.

I wish you well in your recovery FormerNun.  Three of my friends have had total knee in the last year and mine are getting creaky.  We seem to be outliving our knees.  It might be better if you watch The View with lots of pain meds.

• Love 9

Jeb Bush posted this on his Facebook and Twitter accounts. It shows how much power the NRA has when a so called moderate candidate thinks this is a great image of America. That's the caption on it - America. 

https://www.facebook.com/jebbush/photos/a.298834276912289.1073741825.210257445769973/825732314222480/?type=3&theater

I wonder if Jeb would be proud to share this with all the school children in America so that they can rally around the gun culture he is promoting.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 3

guns on college campuses -   from a parents' perspective. 

8 years ago this week, there was a shooting  at my son's school (NIU)  21 people shot, 5 killed, then the gunman killed himself.   He had a bunch of guns.

my son was on campus, an alarm went out, students were told to stay where they were (if not in the building where the shooting was)  and find safety.  my son was on his way to his dorm, so that's where he went, along with hundreds of others.

SO - what if he, or someone else, had a gun?   I think he would have felt some responsibility to go to the scene and take action.   But what action?   the gunman was determined to take out as many people as he could, and then kill himself.   So if a student shows up and starts firing at a suicidal shooter,  (one that has an entire arsenal)   the student who is trying to help would likely be shot as well. 

That's my fear -  that a student carrying a gun, instead of going somewhere safe, AWAY from the shooting, would go TOWARD it, thinking he can do something.  And then get killed trying to be a hero.  

Sure, if someone who happened to be right there in the lecture hall was carrying a gun, they might have been able to have some affect, maybe fewer people would be dead.  Or maybe not, because it would have been hard to get out a gun and then shoot, faster than the guy with several loaded guns  was already shooting.  And pointing a gun at someone who is actively shooting makes you a target. 

I guess what I'm getting to is -  CCB is OK with guns on campus, thinking it would deter shootings.  But would it?  the school shootings I think of -  NIU, Columbine -  the shooter's plan was to die.   so, if he knows that others might be carrying guns, it makes zero difference in his plans.

The saddest thing about this post is that there were 21 people shot, five people killed on a college campus and I don't even remember it. Carnage with fewer than 10 deaths doesn't even ring a damned bell in my brain anymore.

Chris Kyle, super sniper supreme and the hard right's wettest wet dream, lost his life while armed at a friggin' firing range. Somehow I don't think a loaded Glock in University Joe's backpack is going to be of much use to him or the rest of his class when the next Adam Lanza comes calling.

• Love 11

Jeb Bush posted this on his Facebook and Twitter accounts. It shows how much power the NRA has when a so called moderate candidate thinks this is a great image of America. That's the caption on it - America. 

https://www.facebook.com/jebbush/photos/a.298834276912289.1073741825.210257445769973/825732314222480/?type=3&theater

I wonder if Jeb would be proud to share this with all the school children in America so that they can rally around the gun culture he is promoting.

Edward Snowden tweeted the mother of all burns in response:

"Please clap."

• Love 8