Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E10: Restaurant Wars, Part 2

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

So in Philip's world as long as you know you did the right thing, despite having a hugely negative visceral reaction to said thing, it's still right?

M'Kay....

I remember a long-ago Sunday school teacher impressing upon us that it was entirely possibly to be sincerely wrong.  Phillip is the proof. 

• Love 7

I remember a long-ago Sunday school teacher impressing upon us that it was entirely possibly to be sincerely wrong.  Phillip is the proof.

I feel like we've lost that realization. Good for your Sunday school teacher.

• Love 2

I was so happy that I actually cracked a bottle of champagne after dinner service of Restaurant Wars to celebrate my best performance of the season of Top Chef. Amar and Kwame both pulled me aside separately to congratulate me on for-sure winning Restaurant Wars (if our team was on top).

Ah yes, Phillip's best friend Kwame, who thought the dish needed salt and acid, pulled him aside to speak to him of his awesomeness. Of course. There's definitely a joke in here: Top Ten Things Kwame was actually trying to tell Phillip.

Kwame: "Dude, can you you move your stuff from the bathroom sink?"

Phillip: Thanks, Kwame. I'm glad your squeeze bottle idea didn't ruin my perfect dish. I'm breaking my alcohol fast to celebrate - want a Bangkok Dangerous?

Edited by innocuouspuff
  • Love 4

I imagine the other chefs pretty much turn off their ears with Phillip and just respond "yeah, yeah" but Phillip hears "yes, the judges must hate you" or "yes, your food is amazing"...

I can't see any of the judges being dumb enough to say that they thought Tom and Padma anything.  I don't think Phillip understands how grating he is to most people.

• Love 4

I imagine the other chefs pretty much turn off their ears with Phillip and just respond "yeah, yeah" but Phillip hears "yes, the judges must hate you" or "yes, your food is amazing"...

I can't see any of the judges being dumb enough to say that they thought Tom and Padma anything.  I don't think Phillip understands how grating he is to most people.

I could see this....ManBun saying "I mean, so I did really great tonight, right Kwame, right Amar?  I mean, I'll probably take the win, because I made that awesome cocktail and I talked about my hipster tattoos, right guys?" and Kwame and Amar just say "sure, yeah" so they don't have to continue the conversation.

I don't even blame Kwame or Amar, because the best strategy with someone like ManBun is to just disengage as quickly as possible, because he is the sort that would argue with you for hours to convince you he is just as great as he says he is.  What you ACTUALLY think is of no concern, trying to browbeat you into confirming his opinion of himself is what matters the most.  It doesn't matter if his food tasted disgusting and the diners were put off by him discussing his two restaurants while they were trying to eat....as long as he can keep talking until you just get tired enough to agree with him he has won.  So, its best just to quickly agree and leave.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 7
Do they not own any financial stake in Magical Elves or the Top Chef brand? And if they don't work for Magical Elves, then who pays them?

They do not have any ownership of Magical Elves, nor are they employees.  They are essentially contractors.  Most of the people who work on a television show or a movie are contractors, not employees of the production company.

But doing it without a written recipe isn't that amazing, if it's something you do regularly.

Going by her comments, it's not something she does regularly.

• Love 3

dear phillip......

here's an analogy to help you with your rigid one dimensional thinking......

anyone can make poop the right way.  i eat food.  my body processes the food and turns most of it into poop.  that is making poop the right way.  doesn't mean the poop will taste good to people just because you made it the right way.  if you make things the right way and the end result is poop, it won't taste good.

dear top chef please make a reunion show for this season.  some of these cheftestants need to be called out, as well as the judges.

Edited by lovebug1975
  • Love 3

I'm starting to think that Phillip is a trust fund kid. He has got on many shows which indicates he probably has a PR and they aren't cheap. That's probably how he got on Top Chef. He also has a lack of fear which indicates, to me, that he isn't worried about money or losing money or customers. He doesn't take feedback, maybe because he knows he will own restaurants regardless, and if he has a trust fund, his parents can't do much and don't really care anyway.

If I'm ever rich, I'm saying no kids or grandkids get money unless they finish HS and go to College. I'm mean that way. Or maybe he is just a quintessential millennial. I'm so removed from his kind.

Edited by bravofan27
  • Love 2

I was not sad to see Phillip go since I don't hate him like everyone else.

So many disliked the fact he seems to love and be proud of his wife...imagine that?
A hetrosexual couple on Bravo with no divorce, no out of wedlock kids, no restraining orders....can it be?

I just hope they get rid of Karen please - she has skated by a lot, so full of herself with her horrible dyed hair and always yapping

about her spouse - the two of them make  a really unsavory pair IMHO - ick.

Please Karen - go

I like Kwame, Marjorie and Issac - I think Kwame or Marjorie will take the title JMO

I just saw this episode and I am agog at Tom's attitude. The dude acts like he is so over this gig. If that's the case, he should seriously bounce. His grimacing and sighing and eye-rolling really makes the show unpleasant. I have never really understood the process in which they choose the guests for these restaurants, but I'd venture a guess and say they are not paying for their meals. That said, my god what an obnoxious bunch of shits they chose for this round of restaurant wars. That guy snarking on the lack of alcohol in his complementary drink? Just shitty.

Padma was positively GIDDY at the prospect at being cruel to a server. She really flourishes with the opportunity to be mean. She was glowing while tearing down the losing team, more than usual.

I've never really gotten the vitriol toward Philip. He's tone deaf and awkward, but I think he is mostly harmless. Kinda like the guy who makes weird comments in class while everyone rolls their eyes type of harmless. I find Marjorie, with all of her obvious talent, to be MUCH more obnoxious. I wanted to reach into the screen and smack her when she was so pointedly ignoring Issac. I was thrilled when he won.

• Love 4

I was not sad to see Phillip go since I don't hate him like everyone else.

So many disliked the fact he seems to love and be proud of his wife...imagine that?

A hetrosexual couple on Bravo with no divorce, no out of wedlock kids, no restraining orders....can it be?

Who hated that he loves his wife?  Who's even mentioned his wife (other than him, and just briefly)? Or his sexuality? Did I miss all of this somehow? I admit it's possible someone has, but "so many"?  That word choice seems to be saying it's more than some lone nutter or two, and comes off more like some kind of ad hominem attack on  the usual gay-friendly history of Bravo (by implying that they, and by inference their typical viewers, are somehow hostile to non-gay relationships).

I think people have disliked him because he's a clueless, pretentious person (or does a great impression of one). I doubt many people (if anyone) give two shits about his relationship status or sexuality.

I've never really gotten the vitriol toward Philip. He's tone deaf and awkward, but I think he is mostly harmless.

I'd bet he doesn't seem that harmless if you have to work with him on a team. Someone who totally doesn't listen harms your work.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 16

Someone posted this link somewhere in this thread, and I just read it. The following quote addresses a comment about his restaurant that closed, that was also made somewhere here: 

Note too that in Lee's first restaurant, the pop-up concept per my understanding was originally a collaboration between Lee and two other chefs, Joel David Miller and Ryan Duval. When Lee's mother gave him the money to partner with Lee's original business partner in Beverly Hills and place this concept in that business partner’s existing restaurant, Lee took ownership of the concept and made it about himself. Miller became the chef de cuisine and Duval the sous for a year before they left and took the entire kitchen crew with them to The Wallace in Culver City. Needless to say from my perspective, Miller and Duval conceived, developed and cooked most of the better dishes at Lee's restaurant. Both Miller and Duval were and still are much more accomplished chefs than Lee, in my opinion.  http://www.examiner.com/article/la-chef-s-editorial-top-chef-and-food-tv#disqus_thread

I'm going to paste one more quote from that article, because it encapsulates what bothered me about him, and is worded much better than I just spent a few minutes trying to do: 

Thus rather than face reality and grow, a false reality is created where someone like Lee completely lacks self-awareness and just becomes plain delusional in particular about his culinary capabilities which, based upon my frame of reference, are mediocre. So other chefs aren't the slightest bit jealous. They can just quickly see through the BS, that is the talk instead of substance. So that lack of substance is Lee's other huge downfall. During the course of the show, on which producers in my opinion obviously kept him around for production value, Lee's constant mentioning of his doing food from his restaurants wasn't just self-promotion. Such incessant comments in my opinion were due to his very limited culinary skills. He really doesn't know how to cook much other food than what he's already cooked in his restaurants. Lee was in such a hurry to open his own restaurants and "do the fuck whatever he wants," that he never spent enough time in other chefs' kitchen to gather a wide array of culinary tools from my perspective.

• Love 9

I'm starting to think that Phillip is a trust fund kid. He has got on many shows which indicates he probably has a PR and they aren't cheap. That's probably how he got on Top Chef. He also has a lack of fear which indicates, to me, that he isn't worried about money or losing money or customers. He doesn't take feedback, maybe because he knows he will own restaurants regardless, and if he has a trust fund, his parents can't do much and don't really care anyway.

That article linked to by Christina has some interesting bits that go with this theory. It says his grandfather was Phil Silvers--who'd be horrified at such a bloated self-important twit being his decedent--but that also means there was likely some money.  His father was in the band Badfinger (maybe not so much money, but at least some). It also says that his mother paid for his share of the restaurant he opened with two other chefs.

Phil Silvers' character on his show (the big popular one where he was in the army) was a con-man.  But as I recall. the show was also a lot about his poking holes in self-important windbag superior officers. So there's some irony in his grandkid being a self-important windbag (and from the way he markets his restaurants, still retaining some of that con-man aspect, even if he's also the self-important windbag at the same time). 

• Love 3

I've never really gotten the vitriol toward Philip. He's tone deaf and awkward, but I think he is mostly harmless. Kinda like the guy who makes weird comments in class while everyone rolls their eyes type of harmless. I find Marjorie, with all of her obvious talent, to be MUCH more obnoxious. I wanted to reach into the screen and smack her when she was so pointedly ignoring Issac. I was thrilled when he won.

I guess I missed the vitriol. But if someone did, say, suggest that he annoyed them so much that they wanted to physically assault him, you're right. That was excessive.

• Love 4

So it seems there was no specific penalty for the orange team not feeding all their lunch diners on time, except that they had less time to prep for dinner?

Also, Gayle: Oh, HELLo!

According to Gail’s blog the other diners not being served was taken into account, but Jeremy’s strong dish at lunch got him through:

I think Jeremy made a grave error in deciding to focus his attention during lunch service on just the judges and that set them back for the entire rest of the challenge. I understand his intentions but we take all of this into consideration. We’re sitting in the dining room and we’re eating our lunch and we cant help but notice that no one else is eating, it was very apparent what was going on back there. Then it cut into their dinner prep time, so they started their dinner service on a shaky note because their stations weren’t set up properly from the beginning. All of dinner was shaky as a result. They couldn’t get ahead. This actually happens in restaurants all the time. If you are not organized and ready from the get go, your entire service suffers. A day is only 24 hours long, but the good news is usually the next day you get to start fresh and do it all over again. But not for our chefs at Restaurant Wars, and this was certainly part of the discussion on who should go home when we were talking about the orange team. Lucky for him, we keep everything in mind, including the dishes they make, and weigh them as heavily as their jobs as chef and general manager. Jeremy gave us really strong food through lunch.

In fairness though,  I think Tom and Padma weren't at all fond of him, to put it mildly.  But that's because he cooked food they didn't like and refused to take the critiques, soooooooooo...

Tom and Padma plus all the other guest judges who hated his food. How does he explain that? Did Tom and Padma somehow poison all the other guest judges against him? Oh well, I for one am going to miss Philip. I found the contrast between his pompous pronouncements and then the stunned look on his face when the judges told him that his food sucked to be hilariously entertaining. The whole scene with the judges reacting to the waiter pulling out his cocktail from under the podium was the funniest thing I’ve seen on Top Chef in quite a while. I have a feeling that the show is going to be more boring from here on out.

• Love 2

If the judges didn't like him, I hope Phillip one day recognizes it wasn't arbitrary bias. It's insulting to suggest that someone who criticizes you just doesn't get you, and I think he was also insulting with his comments about how he had to adjust his food- which everyone loves at his restaurants- to suit their palates. To me it came off like he was suggesting they don't know what good food is. Could be true, but you can't act like that and expect them to like you, to want to give you a massive prize.

And while we didn't read comment cards, they showed a few diners who also didn't like the food during rw. Unless that's just editing...

• Love 3

Backing up a bit -- maybe even to the previous episode? -- Phillip said he said he runs FOH in both of his restaurants. This implies he's not running his kitchens. He could be creating menus and keeping an eye on things, but his cooking time in the kitchen would have to be impacted if he's divided between FOH/BOH at two different sites. (And he's no Emeril, who had decades to learn how to do that!) No wonder he's struggled in Top Chef. 

ETA: Having two other chefs makes sense. He's playing restaurateur, and someone else is working in the kitchen. Which, again, is why he'd struggle in a chef-ing competition.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 3

Someone posted this link somewhere in this thread, and I just read it. The following quote addresses a comment about his restaurant that closed, that was also made somewhere here: 

I'm going to paste one more quote from that article, because it encapsulates what bothered me about him, and is worded much better than I just spent a few minutes trying to do: 

Having help from two other chefs might help explain why, when I went to Yelp to look up his two restaurants, that I was surprised to see both getting four stars and there were tons of raves from diners. One even mentioned the glory that is the strawberry salad!

Edited by MiamiGuy
  • Love 2

It seems that Philip is like a lot of people in LA - he is obsessed with idea of celebrity, and that his grandfather was a celebrity, he probably got it in his head that he could be on too.  Since acting and modeling were probably out, he went with "celebrity chef", used to guys more talented that him, as well as his mother's money, and viola!, he's a "celebrity chef".  I think that the other chefs could pick up on this and that is why Philip rubbed them the wrong way.  Basically, the man is a poser and they could tell.  The judges could tell too, but Philip just thinks that they "hate" him and "don't get his food".  

• Love 3

om snottily said "let it stay there" at the same time. Padma at least included a please and thank you.

I got the impression that the server had been repeatedly hovering and annoying them, and Tom was about to blow.  As a good "work wife", Padma recognized it and tried to forestall it by dismissing the server quickly, before Tom could let him have it without the "please" and "thank you".  (I even think I saw her putting a placating hand out toward Tom's sleeve -- a gesture I suspect a lot of spouses will recognize!)

And as much as ManBun annoyed the cr@p out of me, I actually felt sorry for his realization that he WOULD be judged on the cocktail!  The look on his face indicated his world had just shattered.  Then his own reality re-asserted itself and he quickly realized that the problem wasn't with his cocktail but with the judges. And the post above about making poop "right" but it still being poop just encapsulated my feelings exactly!  

• Love 5

I haven't seen the episode and after reading all the comments here, I'm not sure I need to put myself through it.

As a Phillip apologist when the season first started, transitioning into finding him hilariously deluded and egotistical, tempered with thinking he is basically harmless because he believes he is a nice guy who tries really hard, I will miss seeing him on the show and laughing at him. I'm also relieved he's gone because he was just beginning to piss me off due to his total lack of self-awareness. I mean, I understand believing in yourself and standing by *certain* things but I DON'T understand blaming everyone EVERYONE everyone ELSE for your failures. Dude, if 40 people out of 39 don't like your food, every single week, maybe it's not them. Maybe it's you.

Kwame is getting really hard to watch. After such a strong start, it's hard to watch him slide down the bannister of suckitude so rapidly. I keep hoping he'll bounce back, but he doesn't seem to be headed in that direction.

I guess I'm Team Isaac at this point. I really like him, I think he's funny, and he's got skills. Maybe his food isn't as refined or fine dining, but I'm pulling for him nonetheless. I wouldn't mind Marjorie because she also seems talented although I don't care for her personality.

Still can't get behind Karen and Carl, no matter what they do. Thank the food gods, RW is over and we can move on. I always dread it every year because it's so painful to watch.

• Love 1

If the judges didn't like him, I hope Phillip one day recognizes it wasn't arbitrary bias. It's insulting to suggest that someone who criticizes you just doesn't get you, and I think he was also insulting with his comments about how he had to adjust his food- which everyone loves at his restaurants- to suit their palates. To me it came off like he was suggesting they don't know what good food is. Could be true, but you can't act like that and expect them to like you, to want to give you a massive prize.

Also with Philip and the question of whether he was liked, he seems to have the issue of causation backwards. IE Philip thinking the judges don't like him, gets some agreement from others on that (and just that) and he concludes therefore the judges decided he did poorly on various challenges because of it. This contrasted with the more likely scenario: he did poorly in various challenges (and was rude when told as much) and those interactions contributed to the dislike.

You made me bad food and your service was bad, therefore I don't like you.

vs

I don't like you, therefore your food must be bad.

He seems to be incapable of understanding the former could ever happen to him.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 3

Well, in a field that contains Hosea, Ilan, Hung and Nicholas, as well as Richard in All Stars, Marjorie would definitely not stand out for being the least cuddly winner. And at that, while I liked them, Marcus, the lesser Volt, Cosentino and Mei didn't exactly stand out as the most warmly collaborative.

I think Marjorie arguably had at least as much to do with the win as Isaac did, given that the judges specifically praised the training she gave the waiters when she wasn't actually FOH at dinner, and the fuzzies they got from the monkey bread carried them through some pretty unimpressive dishes. I think she has a Tiffani problem. She's clearly a hammer, but the people you work with have to want to work with you and support you, and I don't think her style of interacting is doing that for her.

I'm kind of loving Isaac, though. He's one of the few in this group who stands out for me in a positive way.

• Love 2

Backing up a bit -- maybe even to the previous episode? -- Phillip said he said he runs FOH in both of his restaurants. This implies he's not running his kitchens. He could be creating menus and keeping an eye on things, but his cooking time in the kitchen would have to be impacted if he's divided between FOH/BOH at two different sites. (And he's no Emeril, who had decades to learn how to do that!) No wonder he's struggled in Top Chef. 

ETA: Having two other chefs makes sense. He's playing restaurateur, and someone else is working in the kitchen. Which, again, is why he'd struggle in a chef-ing competition.

Having help from two other chefs might help explain why, when I went to Yelp to look up his two restaurants, that I was surprised to see both getting four stars and there were tons of raves from diners. One even mentioned the glory that is the strawberry salad!

That is Phillip's past, not his present. Apparently he had two other partners in the venture, who took on lower titles than this Manbunned privileged freak (who was in theory the Executive Chef), but allegedly the other two did the majority of the menu planning (and it sounds like maybe the bulk of the cooking too). He pissed them off somehow and they left the venture about a year later. At least that's the story that seemed to get pieced together from reading stuff online. 

As for the magical Strawberry salad?  Assuming it was the same one, one wonders if one of the partners created it and Phillip just screwed up the execution of it trying to recreate it for Top Chef.

I think there are at least implications that Phillip thinks of himself as a Celebrity Chef, because his grandfather and father were both celebrities (his mother's father was apparently Phil Silvers, and his father a member of the band Badfinger).  Viola!  "I come from a famous family, ergo I am a celebrity chef!"  No, douchenozzle, you aren't! (although ugh... now that he's been on TV, he probably is).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

According to Gail’s blog the other diners not being served was taken into account, but Jeremy’s strong dish at lunch got him through:

Gail's best bit was what she DIRECTLY said about Phillip. I know I love this woman for a reason (far more than Tom, who often annoys me):

What Phillip doesn’t understand is there are two different things going on in here: technically, he executed it perfectly; it came out as he intended, the technique was fine. But, here’s the thing: it didn’t taste good. In fact it was awful. It didn’t matter that it was made properly, to his requirements. What really worries me about Phillip is that he definitely has the skill, but he seems to have no insight into his guest’s experience and only cares about his own style and preferences. He also seems to have no insight into good or bad food, success or failure, except by his own parameters, which seem to be very narrow. And he’s always blaming other people’s palates for his mistakes or poor judgement, which is not what being a chef is about.

• Love 9

We went to Isaac's restaurant yesterday for lunch. My husband had the braised lamb and it was phenomenal.

Damn, I'm so jealous.  I know I would eat the hell out of his food....I would have to dress in sweatpants....or at least something with elastic.

yeah, whatever else is true about Philip, he was great for reality tv, a medium that is nothing without delusional, self-important participants.

Without Lex Luthor, Superman is just a dude in a cape that likes wearing a full leotard.  Or Clark Kent.....either way, the world needs villains and ManBun was a funny one.

• Love 1

I guess I missed the vitriol. But if someone did, say, suggest that he annoyed them so much that they wanted to physically assault him, you're right. That was excessive.

LOL, smacking someone is excessive, but I get OP's original point.  ManBun is annoying, but I think Marjorie is dismissive and mean -- which IMO is worse.  Especially when its to someone like Issac who seems to be respectful, nice and funny.  And maybe its more striking because clearly no one takes ManBun seriously, and everyone gives his attitude right back to him, whereas Marjorie seemed to be mean to someone who wasn't going to fight back.  And that seems worse to me.

Given ManBun's penchant for self promotion and "new ideas" for promotion I wouldn't be surprised if he paid for a few of those Yelp! reviews, or if he didn't hound people into giving him good Yelp! reviews and did everything he could to get negative comments removed.

It seems that Philip is like a lot of people in LA - he is obsessed with idea of celebrity, and that his grandfather was a celebrity, he probably got it in his head that he could be on too.  

ManBun is so quintessental LA to me.  I think thats why, while he annoys me, he also amuses me, because he is such a perfect stereotype of the LA special snowflake.  He is a rebel (proud of not making it through high school), but imagines this rebellion automatically makes him some sort of special genius.  His hair and tattoos are all a way of telling the world he is much too much of a special snowflake genius to be bothered by convention.  Most of the time when he talks about himself, its about what he has.  As soon as he opens his trap its to tell you about the "two restaurants I own in LA!"  Even his wife is a way to show the world how awesome he is.  Most of the time when he spoke about her, it was about how she is a model/actress/pastry chef....or how she made this amazing dessert.  She can't just be a woman he loves, he is a representation of him, so he must convince you she is awesome.

I haven't seen the episode and after reading all the comments here, I'm not sure I need to put myself through it.

Kwame is getting really hard to watch. After such a strong start, it's hard to watch him slide down the bannister of suckitude so rapidly. I keep hoping he'll bounce back, but he doesn't seem to be headed in that direction.

Shades of Gregory.  Two amazing chefs that I think get into their own head too much sometimes.  Gregory was doing amazing last year, but he did bad on a challenge and never fully recovered after that.  I wonder if they both just aren't brilliant and creative types that need a day or two of rest to reset and refocus and get the failure out of their head.  I feel like both Gregory and Kwame cook their best when they are just cooking from their heart, but when they get a bad critique I think they start cooking from their head to just make something that will pleas the judges because they no longer trust their instinct.  It's a little like what ManBun thinks happened to him.  

• Love 8

I'm still having trouble reconciling the Phillip who was on FN with the Phillip we saw on Top Chef.  He won Chopped.  He won GGG.  He came in either first or second (can't remember) on CK.  All of those shows require thinking on your feet and producing results judges who are chefs like - in a big hurry.  He was cheerful and personable each time and apparently impressed someone at FN because he then showed up as a judge on an episode of BBF.  It's like the Phillip we saw on Top Chef was a somehow diminished twin.

• Love 3

I'm still having trouble reconciling the Phillip who was on FN with the Phillip we saw on Top Chef.  He won Chopped.  He won GGG.  He came in either first or second (can't remember) on CK.  All of those shows require thinking on your feet and producing results judges who are chefs like - in a big hurry.  He was cheerful and personable each time and apparently impressed someone at FN because he then showed up as a judge on an episode of BBF.  It's like the Phillip we saw on Top Chef was a somehow diminished twin.

For what it's worth, my friend who ate at Phillip's restaurant loved both Phillip and his food, and said her entire party felt the same.  So, who knows what happened on TC.  I do think he tried too hard to be clever to the detriment of the taste of the food.  

• Love 1

Yelp (and other review sites) tend to toss out bad reviews and also reflect what's "hot" and not really what's good.  In my town there is a hipster bar-b-que place that is marginal at best.  The reviews are fawning (and most mention their LP collection....who cares if they still play vinyl).  This is probably much, much worse in LA.

• Love 2

I think he went back on GGG and lost early...his Twitter feed had retweets about how he was robbed.  Also when I saw him on Chopped he was going on about his film he was making and that's why he wanted the money.

I think he does no share or play well with others.  It's like in game theory...your reaction is different if you have limited versus finite "plays".  I sometimes look at TC like a really long job interview and how they get along with others and take in comments is important.

• Love 4

For what it's worth, my friend who ate at Phillip's restaurant loved both Phillip and his food, and said her entire party felt the same.  So, who knows what happened on TC.  I do think he tried too hard to be clever to the detriment of the taste of the food.  

"His food" does assume he cooked it (or even conceived it) though, and there's anecdotal evidence out there that his former partners might have done a lot of that stuff.

In other words, the guy who walks out and introduces himself as your chef may not always be the one responsible for what you're eating (rarely the actual cooking, but sometimes not even the menu planning or recipe). 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

When I get a chance I'm going to try one of his places.  I guess he only has one now so that should make it easy.  

He pissed them off somehow and they left the venture about a year later. At least that's the story that seemed to get pieced together from reading stuff online.

And even more telling, the entire kitchen staff went to the new restaurant the departing chefs opened.

• Love 8

And even more telling, the entire kitchen staff went to the new restaurant the departing chefs opened.

That is telling. Those are the folks that really matter (and who their loyalty is to communicates pretty clearly who actually mattered to THEM).

Anyone look at ol' Phil's website? The banner is telling. Can anyone say "Hipster posing?"

3guOmO5.jpg

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

It seems to me that Philip is a competent thought not great chef who used the talent to two superior chefs to build his restaurants.  The fact that one of those places is now closed speak volumes to me (not long after the real chefs left).  I think the thing that has shocked Manbun the most is how easily the judges were able to see right through him and judge the chef is actually is and not the one he wants everyone to believe he is.  A lot of people in LA are like this; the thing separated Philip from most of them is that his family had enough money that they could buy him two restaurants.  It made his whole scam look legit.

• Love 2

When we were eating lunch yesterday, I filled my husband in on this season's Top Chef - he hasn't been watching - and I noted that one of the other chefs said that Isaac's food wasn't "refined" enough. Husband agreed that the food and the restaurant definitely didn't qualify as refined; it's a pretty casual place - not white table cloth and it got pretty loud (one of the regulars was moving out of town so they were having a party for them). However, the food was great. The roasted shrimp, the crab fondue, the lamb and the chicken thigh confit were all wonderful. As well, the portions were very generous (I've got at least two more servings of my chicken to eat). I'll happily pass on the refinement if the food is good.

Although I have to say: I imagine that Isaac can do refined if he wants to, particularly after doing ten years with Emeril. Emeril's is still one of the great restaurants in town, in my opinion, and is a solid option to take out of town guests who want an excellent, refined meal.

"His food" does assume he cooked it (or even conceived it) though, and there's anecdotal evidence out there that his former partners might have done a lot of that stuff.

And this would explain a lot, including good yelp reviews vs. his ability (or inability) to do reproduce the dishes himself. We saw what happened with his wife's desert earlier in the season - the one that won a contest. It was her recipe but he couldn't reproduce it (or the contest she won was rigged).

Edited by Maysie
  • Love 2

*IN AN EFFORT TO SAVE WATER, FRESH SHARE PLATES AND UTENSILS ARE AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST*

We believe in the value of our team as a whole and therefore have decided to implement

an 18% service charge so that our entire team is compensated accordingly. Thank you for your support in helping us usher in a more balanced work environment

A) how nice of you to provide clean plates and silverware and B) if you paid your staff a decent wage, you could implement a no tipping policy

I'm well aware of my own pretentiousness, but Phillip really does take the special snowflake prize. Love one of the restaurants has what looks like a tumor on a rock as their picture. 

And since I can't figure out how to cut and past this one, I beg you to go read his "mission statement" on this menu. Please, like he's ever going to cater to your wishes. 

• Love 2

A) how nice of you to provide clean plates and silverware and B) if you paid your staff a decent wage, you could implement a no tipping policy

I'm well aware of my own pretentiousness, but Phillip really does take the special snowflake prize. Love one of the restaurants has what looks like a tumor on a rock as their picture. 

And since I can't figure out how to cut and past this one, I beg you to go read his "mission statement" on this menu. Please, like he's ever going to cater to your wishes. 

I'm confused, do I have to ask for clean utensils when I get there?  Is the default having to eat off a dirty rock?

When I go, I think I'm going to order the peanut butter and jelly, because there is nothing that reeks of hipster nonsense more than a $10 PB&J that is on your menu.*  But where is the strawberry salad?  I'm completely confused by his mission statement, but its just like him, wordy and pretentious.  Just say "if you have a food allergy or sensitivity, it will be accommodated"  but unless you're going to charge me less or eating less food, how about you just give me the standard portion and I'll figure it out.**

*And I realize that sometimes, you just want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich....I get it....I once ordered a pb&j from room service because thats just what I wanted.  But to me that is something you specially ask for, not something that you put on a menu.

**I do however, wish restaurants would allow me to order a smaller portion with the idea that the remaining portion, or some percentage of the menu price would go towards a worthy cause. 

In reality there's absolutely nothing wrong with Kale.  I quite like it. That said, I DO think it's hilarious that Phillip's menu doesn't even try to dodge the purported douchiness of having Kale (and better yet, Kale Chips!) on there. 

How 'bout the $19 "Dirty Rice and a Bunch of Veggies". Even the NAME of that dish reeks of Hispter Douchiness. "A Bunch of Veggies"?  Give me a break (does it come included with Neck Beard and a bin to throw away the socks you were wearing when you walked in so you can be even MORE Hipster-y?)

Heh. And dig this:

"Your Choice or Mine?  We always recommend our choice"

• Love 1

More from Phillip's website(s). This is the front page of his entire sub-site for his "gadarene swine" (no, that's not a pretentious name at all!) restaurant.

This is the food image he wants to present (it's even labeled "Vegetables Elevated"):

hgztOCF.jpg?1

So a slimy, mossy rock bowl. A tiny bunch of parsley (or some similar herb) on top of a handful of... are those root vegetables--I can't even effing tell under that icky foam? And I think those might be fried onions to one side (so the only really good thing on there, likely). Topped by disgusting looking yellow FOAM.

Urg!

I swear. We don't need anything other than this image (and it's prominent placement on the front page of his restaurant site) to know how far his head is up his own ass.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 4

More from Phillip's website(s). This is the front page of his entire sub-site for his "gadarene swine" (no, that's not a pretentious name at all!) restaurant.

This is the food image he wants to present (it's even labeled "Vegetables Elevated"):

hgztOCF.jpg?1

So a slimy, mossy rock bowl. A tiny bunch of parsley (or some similar herb) on top of a handful of... are those root vegetables--I can't even effing tell under that icky foam? And I think those might be fried onions to one side (so the only really good thing on there, likely). Topped by disgusting looking yellow FOAM.

Urg!

I swear. We don't need anything other than this image (and it's prominent placement on the front page of his restaurant site) to know how far his head is up his own ass.

It's a growing problem....here is a twtter account all about it:  https://twitter.com/wewantplates?lang=en

• Love 4