Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E10: Restaurant Wars, Part 2

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I totally agree that bare armpits are completely unappetizing. However (and I am guilty of this, too) women are judged more harshly than men even in situations where appearance shouldn't be very important.

I'm pretty sure Karen was flashing a peace sign.

Did you notice the couple in Manbun's restaurant who were sitting on upturned apple crates? How is that comfortable?

• Love 3

Both the guys who did FOH wore sports coats - having a coat or jacket makes you look more professional.  

But Phillip had his shirt tails out. Is that the style now? Because I was really surprised he didn't tuck his shirt in. An untucked shirt paired with a sports coat looks odd to me.

Edited by carrps
  • Love 1

I think the problem is that a man can put on jeans and t shirt and pull on a blazer/sport coat and still look really good.  I guess women can do that to but the issue as I see it here is that many women on the show express themselves either through fashion or through a lack of fashion.  I think Marjorie just doesn't give a shit about fashion, which is fine, but when you are the "face" of anything you have to fake it a little bit.  Then we have people like last season's Betty Paige impersonator (never seen that look before) who looked like Betty Paige as FOH.  It did not look professional to see a grown woman in a Halloween costume as the face of a "nice" restaurant.  Karen's outfit simply did not look professional.  Indeed, I think that sleeveless rarely looks all that professional.  Or rather, when in doubt, don't go sleeveless.  Had Karen thrown a blazer on that and worn some black flats, she would have looked fine.  

I dunno, but if I were going on TC, I would bring a nice outfit that would look really sharp if I were picked for FOH.  I suppose I see this as part of being the quintessential restaurateur, and not just a chef who is always in the back of house.  For all that Philip is clueless, at least he clearly wants to be a well-rounded restaurateur, which is something all the best chefs are at the end of the day.  The prize from this show is money for the winner to open up their own restaurant - that means the winner should be a person who could run their own top restaurant.  A person who cannot present themselves as a true professional won't be able to pull that off.  

• Love 2

Most of these chefs spend all of their time in the back of the house.  They probably don't own front of the house clothes.  I think they would be smart to bring along a dessert recipe and an outfit if they get stuck in the front.

GROSS ALERT:  A friend won't eat anywhere if the servers or preppers are sleeveless because in college she worked at an ice cream place and noticed one day that little clumps of her deoderant were falling into the ice cream.  So she would have walked out on Marjorie.

• Love 3

Most of these chefs spend all of their time in the back of the house.  They probably don't own front of the house clothes.  I think they would be smart to bring along a dessert recipe and an outfit if they get stuck in the front.

GROSS ALERT:  A friend won't eat anywhere if the servers or preppers are sleeveless because in college she worked at an ice cream place and noticed one day that little clumps of her deoderant were falling into the ice cream.  So she would have walked out on Marjorie.

OMFG.......that changed my entire view of life, lol.

• Love 4
I thought they looked like cooks who didn’t have the luxury of going home to shower and get pretty and were doing the best they could in a chaotic, hot environment. 

The thing is.................. Every chef who has ever been FOH has had to cope with the same issues - their own dish, the hot kitchen, nerves, chaos, etc.  Marjorie and Karen are the first ones to look like slobs.  Everyone else has managed to be presentable.  If I walked into a fine dining restaurant and was greeted by someone who looked like either of those two, I'd assume the restaurant had problems, cancel my reservation and go eat somewhere else.

Marjorie seems to be a good cook but she has a harsh, unpleasant streak and I don't like her.  

I couldn't quite tell what Karen was wearing with that awful dress - boots, knee socks  or maybe TED hose.  Whatever they were, the black up to her knees coupled with the colorful dress pattern was a really bad choice.  Along with the doughy arms, the fat bulging out of the sleeve holes, the pink hair and the gross tattoo, she looked like she was dressed for a comic skit on Hee Haw.  

My favorites are Carl and Isaac.  

• Love 6

Yes! That is why I don't like food people to be sleeveless! And the thing with Karen and Marjorie for me isn't that they have to wear a certain style, or adapt to what is perceived as normal, I just want any man or woman who is around me and food to cover their pits, their chests, have clean hair preferably pulled away or secured. My husband used to make pancakes and would do it shirtless. I told the boys one morning, Wake up! Daddy's making pancakes! The blunt eight year old yells back Does he have a shirt on? Because if he doesn't I'm not eating.

i'd eat pancakes from a shirtless jeremy ;)  hell, i'd lick that awful risotto off his naked body, lol.

• Love 3

I didn't have a problem with that.  They have to film a little scene as they eat, right?  That dude was probably interfering.  

I thought Gail was awesomely entertaining last night for all those reasons, plus her WTF look with Tom at one point when they were in disbelief about how awful everything was.  I also liked her at JT when she mentioned something about how this challenge, unlike the catering ones, really showed them fully as chefs.  At least I attribute that to her. 

Padma did get her victory in there, with the broth/risotto element.  I don't know why, I felt like she was especially proud to have been right about that.  It felt like she was ready to drop a mic.

Heh!  I noticed that too, drop a mic is the perfect way to describe it.

Thanks everyone for the pork belly explanations. It sounds delicious and I'm going to try it. Now, someone remind me who Lenny was?

Heh.....Lenny was the Food Network Star....the show on ......Food Network.  He was creepy and weird.  His YouTube videos about food were oddly in a very overly sexual way, but I'm 99% sure that he was forced to remove them after he became Food Network Star.  Just checked, he removed the video....he was pretty much talking about sexing up some corn....it was very odd.

Did you notice the couple in Manbun's restaurant who were sitting on upturned apple crates? How is that comfortable?

You want comfort?  You've totally missed the point.....which is that its hipster cool to recycle apple crates as chairs while you drink your Bangcock Dangerous!

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 2

Tom was just not having it.  Maybe it was a long, long day of filming for them (and I think he also got a pimple on his nose, that can ruin a good day :(  ).  They all seemed a little edgy, they were upset about the server refilling their wine, which kind of seems like a minor thing to get upset about.

I'm with Tom and Padma on this one. There's little that annoys me more at a restaurant than a server who just won't leave us the hell alone for more than 45 seconds. 

• Love 4

I'm with Tom and Padma on this one. There's little that annoys me more at a restaurant than a server who just won't leave us the hell alone for more than 45 seconds. 

well, the long day was their fault.  they stretched the chefs too thin opening a restaurant in a few days and have both lunch and dinner service......of course they'd have a long day and crappy food.  it makes me laugh that they are annoyed at how bad the food was.  really?  i'd like to see tom and padma and the judges do that and see how they fare.

great idea tom, adding lunch service and fishing random guests from twitter.

• Love 1

The thing is.................. Every chef who has ever been FOH has had to cope with the same issues - their own dish, the hot kitchen, nerves, chaos, etc.  Marjorie and Karen are the first ones to look like slobs.  Everyone else has managed to be presentable.  If I walked into a fine dining restaurant and was greeted by someone who looked like either of those two, I'd assume the restaurant had problems, cancel my reservation and go eat somewhere else.

Marjorie seems to be a good cook but she has a harsh, unpleasant streak and I don't like her.  

I couldn't quite tell what Karen was wearing with that awful dress - boots, knee socks  or maybe TED hose.  Whatever they were, the black up to her knees coupled with the colorful dress pattern was a really bad choice.  Along with the doughy arms, the fat bulging out of the sleeve holes, the pink hair and the gross tattoo, she looked like she was dressed for a comic skit on Hee Haw.  

We obviously see the world differently. I honestly do not think they look like slobs. Marjorie is casual, even very casual, but not slovenly. And it would take a hell of a lot worse for it to occur to me not to eat there because of it.

How is this looking like a slob? Not stylish and not flattering? Sure. But Karen has a clean, structured dress with neat hair and even some makeup. I'm baffled.

2016-02-12-tc.jpg

I have a feeling some of the difference of opinion may come down to how one feels about sleeveless clothing, especially sleeveless on a larger women. I, myself, do not go sleeveless so it's a debate I'm intimately familiar with.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 24

I honestly do not think they look like slobs.

OK.  I'll concede that "slob" was the wrong word.  I should have said "tacky."  Karen doesn't look as bad in that still shot above as she did walking around.  Still not good though.

Tom has always maintained that the judges base their decisions solely on the food but I would think that, in the back of his mind, he's also considering that the winner will represent the Top Chef brand at places like the Food & Wine Classic.  If I were a competing chef, I'd make sure my appearance wouldn't be an embarrassment.

• Love 2

I don't like it either, but I try to generally be pleasant about it because I realize that someone along the way probably told them it was a good idea.....my guess would be that the server's nettling could be traced back to ManBun, who probably was like "now, I want you to make sure to be extra attentive to the judges table!  don't let their wine glass get less than half full, don't leave plates sitting there!"

• Love 3

I have a yeast roll and a pound cake recipe memorized, because I made them once a long time ago and my family flipped out over it so I have to make the rolls almost daily, the cake weekly. I am not impressed with her being Top Bread. Even if she is doing it as extra. Top Bread is a different show. I don't like Marjorie for some reason.

Neither do I. And yeah, bread is tricky, it can be affected by all sorts of things like humidity and temperature and the activity of the yeast but Tom's 'she's not allowed a recipe and she makes bread!' thing was weird. Water, flour, yeast, salt, whatever she filled it with which you don't need a recipe for. The ratios will affect what kind of bread it is but it's not like it's a complicated recipe. Even sweet rolls which are enriched with eggs/milk/sugar... if you make them even semi-regularly you get a feel for them. There's this whole thing about baking being a science and having to be precise but IME that's more about cake. Bread is actually relatively forgiving once you have the hang of it. 

Ew. I worked in a few restaurants when I was younger where it was all coloured hair and tattoos and Karen would have fit right in, but YES: no exposed armpits. It was the only rule. 

IMO Karen and Marjorie looked fine for, I think, the vibe Palate was projecting. 

And I don't so much care who Random Extra Chopping Strawberries was, but I'm confused as to why that was allowed? Could Karen have grabbed some random to chop and/or stuff her trout? 

Marjorie didn't just bake a loaf of bread. She turned out a housemade bread basket for every table. Many decent restaurants that serve bread often outsource their bread service to a local top notch bakery.

Also, it was well-received and not just run-of-the-mill roll but a savory monkey bread which sounds delicious!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 10

Boy Bun.  Angry Corn Sex.  This thread has me falling off my chair laughing tonight, thank you!

And considering his 2 tattoos say "Wolf I Am" and "Mother say a prayer for me", Amy Duggar's "Rest in the storm" is looking positively literary. 

Wolf I am.  What does that even mean?   

Go Isaac!  He made me smile with his excitement of winning RW.  I really hope he makes the finals. 

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 4

And I don't so much care who Random Extra Chopping Strawberries was, but I'm confused as to why that was allowed? Could Karen have grabbed some random to chop and/or stuff her trout? 

I'm pretty sure it's been done before. I can't recollect exactly, but I think Fabio or Stefan, one of the real humble types, had a dishwasher help chop something during a previous RW. It's unorthodox but I don't see a problem with it, especially since ManBun went home anyway.

• Love 1

The saddest thing about Phillip is that I don't think he even has the ability to recognize how pretentious he is. I've seen this many times before (heck, we all have, on Reality TV, but also some of us in real life). People who have absolute blinders on when it comes to their own ability to be wrong about something.   This guy has "Me" imprinted so deeply on his worldview it's immutable--it can't be changed. I'm sure he's off on some blog somewhere talking about how the show is misrepresenting him.... but really I'm sure it's not. It oozes out of his pores, the clueless hipster manbunned Cali pretentiousness. It's less angry than classic arrogance--it's more the kind that puts on a creepy smile and steamrolls over, or ignores, anything you stay that contradicts his worldview. He'll just keep talking until you give up and/or act like he never heard you. Although again, for all that tendency in person (to just steamroll or ingore), I but he also stores up his grudges and pays them out later (which is why I think he's probably on some blog now as we read here, bitching about the show). 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 7

I'm pretty sure it's been done before. I can't recollect exactly, but I think Fabio or Stefan, one of the real humble types, had a dishwasher help chop something during a previous RW. It's unorthodox but I don't see a problem with it, especially since ManBun went home anyway.

It's definitely been done before. Stefan isn't humble but I think Sheldon and his team used FOH staff for prep.

When did heavy people start dressing in sleeveless tops? I'm 5'7" and 230--so I KNOW what being fat is, I do not wear wifebeater t-shirts and speedo's! She should've known better. AND does it bother anyone else that chefs no longer cover their heads?

This is my first post here--I was happy to see how many others were glad to see "manbun" (thats funny) go too. I remember what a - jerk Marcel was on his first go round-He has matured into quite a nice guy, at least on the shows I've seen lately. Maybe Phillpe will take this experiance and grow from it.

• Love 4

When did heavy people start dressing in sleeveless tops? I'm 5'7" and 230--so I KNOW what being fat is, I do not wear wifebeater t-shirts and speedo's! She should've known better. AND does it bother anyone else that chefs no longer cover their heads?

This is my first post here--I was happy to see how many others were glad to see "manbun" (thats funny) go too. I remember what a - jerk Marcel was on his first go round-He has matured into quite a nice guy, at least on the shows I've seen lately. Maybe Phillpe will take this experiance and grow from it.

Maybe.....I think those are some long odds, because I'm sure he'll go right back into his special snowflake cocoon, where everyone fosters his delusions of grandeur.

He is a pretentious douche, but a laughable one.  Probably because he is so obvious and transparent that he can't really hurt anyone.  I would have been upset if any of his machinations had worked, but they didn't.  And he is such a textbook special snowflake douche, almost like he is a character on a TV show about LA.

• Love 1

Neither do I. And yeah, bread is tricky, it can be affected by all sorts of things like humidity and temperature and the activity of the yeast but Tom's 'she's not allowed a recipe and she makes bread!' thing was weird. Water, flour, yeast, salt, whatever she filled it with which you don't need a recipe for. The ratios will affect what kind of bread it is but it's not like it's a complicated recipe. Even sweet rolls which are enriched with eggs/milk/sugar... if you make them even semi-regularly you get a feel for them. There's this whole thing about baking being a science and having to be precise but IME that's more about cake. Bread is actually relatively forgiving once you have the hang of it.

Well that really depends on the overall quality of the bread. People have baked before on Top Chef and it generally wasn't that notable outside of 'did some extra effort', like Fabio did it once. Marjorie is apparently baking the bread well enough for it to be notable, even a major stand out to the judges.

• Love 1

Well that really depends on the overall quality of the bread. People have baked before on Top Chef and it generally wasn't that notable outside of 'did some extra effort', like Fabio did it once. Marjorie is apparently baking the bread well enough for it to be notable, even a major stand out to the judges.

Oh, absolutely. But doing it without a written recipe isn't that amazing, if it's something you do regularly. 

I watched the entire judges meal at District through my fingers. I don't remember seeing a RW where every single dish got panned so thoroughly. It was so bad that Amar's vinegar dish - which made Gail's face do some incredible things - didn't even come up at Judges Table (or at least it didn't make the edit). 

Happy for Issac's win. I don't think he's long for this competition but I like him, and after getting picked last and being ignored during menu planning, it was such a great moment. Marjorie's bread was great and her FOH were good but her dessert was bad but also her beet salad from lunch was considered pretty average. He did two well-received dishes and expedited really well. 

Edited by MissEwa
  • Love 3

Wolf I am.  What does that even mean?   

It's deep, and spiritual, and just right....like his food.  This is why the judges didn't get his food, cause they can't understand his tattoos...........

sorry, i couldn't resist.

and like i said a couple of weeks ago.  the only reason he won the challenge prior to this was because he was the only one who served food with the bone, not because it was great.  it was a win by default and technicality.  this guy is delusional and mildly r*******.  watch last chance kitchen and you will see for yourself.

• Love 6

I don't like to snark on overweight women, being as I am one myself, but Karen needs to take that dress and burn it, it was hideous. I couldn't take my eyes off her when she was in any shot and I don't mean that in a good way. I don't blame the cameramen, there was no way to make her look good in that thing. After all these seasons of TC, I don't understand why the chefs (men and women) don't pack one classy/classic outfit on the chance that they'll be FOH in RW.

How did Phillip describe his restaurant: "It's fine dining on a plate - but rustic..." What does that even mean?  And considering his 2 tattoos say "Wolf I Am" and "Mother say a prayer for me", Amy Duggar's "Rest in the storm" is looking positively literary.

I did laugh seeing Manbun be front of house in pretty much the exact manner I was expecting and pettily hoping to see.

All it did was hammer home how lacking he is in self-awareness.  I wasn't sure how much of Tom's annoyance was in general or was in specific.  By general I mean that in the past I think we have seen Tom be annoyed or even outright angry because the front of the house was over involved when the rest of the place was falling apart.  Not just being over attentive but not adding to the dining experience with the level of attentiveness that goes at odds with the food and the overall service itself.  I can't remember which season it was but I remember him chiding someone who was front of House because while that person was always present and hovering and gladding about, it didn't add anything or offset the mediocre food or experience.  In specific I do think Manbun did himself no favors.  But I think that it takes someone with self-awareness especilly in Tom's eyes because there is a line to walk and it is easy to cross it.  But even more important Tom always looks to see someone who can see what is not working and adjust it.  He has more than once also commented favorably on someone who starts out on the wrong foot and adjusts accordingly.  Manbun not the man for that obviously.

In fact this last episode hammered home how much the poster child he is for that essay in the New Yorker that one of my professors made all her students read.  The one Tom Brokan got all pissy with when he didn't have enough to do once he stepped down as anchor.  It basically pointed out how the greatness of the 'Greatest Generation' helped create a shift in attitude.  Taking the idea of this being the Land of Opportunity to becoming the Land of False Expectations (the title was something like that).  Basically that the push to have your children do better than yourself conflated the idea that this being the Land of Opportunity took the premise that with hard work and skill and talent and responsibility, came an opportunity to be what you dreamed into "you can be whatever you want".  And I think that it is not a general sweeping assertion but it has become this almost inbred notion in many segments of society.  Not just in the U.S. but elsewhere as well.  It sparks delusion in entering singing contests and the idea that somehow it is the opportunity that you missed as to why you are not a big star.  It might be his nurturing or it might just be his ego.  But I think Manbun has this idea in his head that he wants to be a famous celebrity chef and so...he should.  And it is unfair that anyone prevent that.  When he can't see it is his own short comings that might stand in his way no matter how much he wishes (or works at it but I don't think he actually has worked as hard as he could since I think some work in other kitchens with skilled and talented chefs could go a long way towards instilling most of what it takes to be what he aspires or claims to be).

Oh and Tom Brokaw had an issue with the article simply because the Greatest Generation should never be taken to task for anything in his mind.

I thought both women looked fine in their attire.  I think their occupation might have a limitation on what they can pack that they might think suitable for doing FoH.  I have a lot of nice professional wear but I'm not sure how well it work in that type of role on camera.  And what I think is fine others would probably ding harshly ;)  I do think that going on the show though should have you considering a solid dessert, a simple bread recipe you can adjust accordingly, the ability to avoid temptation to do risotto and thinking ahead to restaurant wars.  Not just in terms of attire but how to do front of house in a simple but efficient manner and coming up with a general theme that allows compromise and input but does the job in as simply, elegantly and tasting damn good.

• Love 2

I know plenty of people where that is not the case. A poster here was at the lunch service bease they saw Padma tweet. I have also had friends who went to past events who weren't SAG and we're not paid.

I said "most" not all. I have an actor friend who has been paid to be a diner on two episodes of Top Chef. He told me they recruit for the high end dinners. I am sure they have non-paid diners as much as possible. Saves them money. :)

• Love 1

I think if you observe the look on Karen's face in the GIF she's obviously throwing the unicorn.  As would you or I, even with a camera running, because it was so obviously the right thing to do.

I was surprised last week to hear there was a timer on RW, which I didn't remember seeing before.  This week they say they used 45 minutes of their lunch-to-dinner transition time finishing serving lunch.  Unlike Hell's Kitchen, the extras apparently didn't go home hungry because the clock ran out.  Now, what was that time clock for, again?

I pity the fool forced to FOH and didn't mind either woman's appearance.

• Love 1

I was surprised last week to hear there was a timer on RW, which I didn't remember seeing before.  This week they say they used 45 minutes of their lunch-to-dinner transition time finishing serving lunch.  Unlike Hell's Kitchen, the extras apparently didn't go home hungry because the clock ran out.  Now, what was that time clock for, again?

I wonder if it was so that they would have time to turn for dinner service.  And then they figured if they had a timer for lunch, they better just have one for dinner too to keep it fair for the person who had to expedite and run the kitchen.

After all these years of eating countless foam topped, scallop, pork belly, crudo, and now carrot dishes, I think the judges are over the moon to just get a frickin' piece of bread.

Still shaking my head at Marjorie dismissing Isaac's talent and then being a little slow to congratulate him on his win. Guess good food better be pretentious or it simply doesn't count...unless it's monkey bread of course, which may be the least pretentious food ever. But it's still way better than cornbread, obvs.

From the Toups Meatery website: [isaac] Toups represents the new guard of Cajun chefs for his updated sophisticated approach to a cuisine that’s best known for deep rustic flavors. His culinary style is the direct result of his New Orleans fine dining experience and growing up Cajun (Rayne, La, in the heart of Cajun country). Since opening Toups’ Meatery with his wife Amanda in 2012, Chef Isaac Toups has twice been named a James Beard Best Chef of the South Semi-finalist, and earned other notable accolades. 

Interesting that he - and obviously somebody else somewhere who's handing out accolades - feels that he cooks with some sophistication. And from this episode, less ego than some...Marjorie.

At judges table, Isaac states that their team checked their egos/personalities at the door in order to function well together. Tom immediately cuts him off and then pretty much gives the same spiel while condemning the red orange team. Hmmm...

Edited by jette
  • Love 5

Holy bejeezus did District go down in flames. At least their dinner service flowed smoothly but that food....

At the end of that disaster any of them could have gone home and deserved it though part of me is glad that Kwame was spared despite the horrific amuse. All that matters is that ye of douchey man bun has been knifed.

I'm surprised that Jeremy didn't get dinged more for the lunch service but his asparagus app saved him I guess as well as the food at dinner being spectacularly awful. Gail was on fire with her comments.

Hooray for Isaac and Palate. Well deserved for Isaac as he rocked his lunch service and had both dishes go well. I'm pretty sure Karen, Marjorie and Carl had one miss on dishes but Isaac nailed everything.

Overall I'm happy with thé remaining 7.

• Love 2

kittykat -- I adore your picture!  Love, love, love Tina Belcher :)

Back on topic -- I think Amar should thank all the stars, lucky and unlucky that he wasn't sent packing.  I don't even really understand what he was going for....I don't think I've ever had meat sitting in vinegar and it does not sound tasty.

• Love 2

After all these years of eating countless foam topped, scallop, pork belly, crudo, and now carrot dishes, I think the judges are over the moon to just get a frickin' piece of bread.

Yes!  They rarely run into a savory chef who can bake anything.  On season one Dave Martin (adore him) made a truffle mac and cheese on a challenge where most made a lamb entree.  He won and Tom said, give a bunch of chefs mac and cheese and of course you will win!  Something to that effect.  

Count me in as seeing Marjorie and Karen dressed inappropriately.  Dress for the job and your body weight.  

Dave's mac and cheese-

http://www.dartagnan.com/truffled-mac-and-cheese-recipe.html?fdid=truffle-recipes

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

As I understand it and have read about it here, diners are paid to appear and most are SAG card-carriers. Extras on a TV show, if you will.

I spotted the guy who played Todd on Community at one table...

I'm a big girl myself and I know from experience that the devil is in the details. A maxi skirt can be comfy and on trend, but it can also go Kim Davis in a hurry. I don't think you should be wearing a burqa in the summer just because you're bigger, but the cut matters. I have a lot of sleeveless sheaths for summer, but I pay attention to details like the armholes being cut high enough that you aren't seeing the bra or boob rolls, but I wouldn't wear them to serve food for fear my pits would be in someone's face (but that would be a concern no matter your size). I thought the ladies looked frumpy, but manbun showing his chest tats was the far greater sin.

Edited by Shibori
  • Love 2

love a mac n' cheese done right.  I rarely find a good mac n' cheese, its always too much mac, not enough cheese!  

It is usually too much cheese for me!  I like it dry.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

I'm confused. The link that goes to says "Hot Chef". Is the Bartender thing some joke reference I'm not getting?

I wonder if she and Kristen Kish get together and joke about how ludicrous that contest was (and demeaning). Probably not--it looks like they cooperated with this (since I'm sure she had to sign off on those photos of her that show her tattoos--ugly ones IMO). 

And she wasn't skinny 3 years ago, but clearly DID weigh a lot less.

How did Phillip describe his restaurant: "It's fine dining on a plate - but rustic..." What does that even mean?  

It means he's a pretentious asshole, who word-salads buzz words together so he sounds (in his mind) smarter and more revolutionary.

I don't think I've ever had meat sitting in vinegar and it does not sound tasty.

Please to enjoy sauerbraten, meat that marinates in a vinegar mixture for 3 days before cooking. If only Amar had more time! (I know, I know, not quite the same thing. But sauerbraten is very tasty!)

Philip is probably a good cook, but I don't think he has the instincts or knowledge or whatever it takes to be a great chef or a "top chef." He's like the guy who is good at playing the violin but everyone knows will never be a top tier violin player. I think it's because of that lack of cooking instinct that he, more so than others, seems to recycle dishes he is familiar with, such as the mashed potato "sauce" and the strawberry salad.

I also think that because he is not a top tier chef, he has to work so hard at convincing people that he is better than he really is. I saw him on Chopped, and he made a point of saying that he had four friends on Chopped and three of them won, so as to suggest that he, Philip, is in the same league as Chopped winners. Everything about him seems studied and overthought, whereas the best chefs on Top Chef seem to be more intuitive and conceptual. Chefs who are better than Philip conceive an interesting dish and then execute it. Philip goes to his old bag of tried and true tricks and then tries to make people believe they are top tier cooking. That strategy may work with the day to day visitors to his restaurants, but it will not work with people like Tom.

He is, I think, the Marco Rubio of chefs -- overly strategic, rehearsed and repetitive.

• Love 4

I pass by the restaurant where Marjorie is executive chef, here in DC, coming and going to work each day. Maybe I should go and try it out in case she wins or gets close enough and the place gets more popular! (I'm beginning to think I should!)

h

Please do and report back

• Love 3

The saddest thing about Phillip is that I don't think he even has the ability to recognize how pretentious he is.... I but he also stores up his grudges and pays them out later (which is why I think he's probably on some blog now as we read here, bitching about the show). 

You mean like here?

Top Chef's Phillip Frankland Lee explains why the judging wasn't fair

...   . I was so happy with my performance that day, and after reading all the comment cards that the guests had filled out (rating the dishes for lunch and dinner as well as service) I realized that if my team was on top, I was probably going to take the win but even if we were on the bottom there was no way I was going home.... Then the judges basically did what they always did, tell me I suck but this time they told me to go home too.

The rest of the chefs say Tom and Padma hate(d) me, I guess I can see that.

SK: What was the biggest challenge for you on the show?

PFL: Knowing that no matter how hard I would try or how good I would cook, I was not going to win.                                                ... 

• Love 7

It's like a child, saying that the judges "hated" him.  He lost because his food was not as good as the other chefs'.  Also, he thinks that just working hard and wanting it means he should win.  Such a douchey millennial.  If he does not get what he wants, it must be because someone who "hates" him for no reason is denying him.  Tool. 

Edited by LilyoftheValley
  • Love 6

In fairness though,  I think Tom and Padma weren't at all fond of him, to put it mildly.  But that's because he cooked food they didn't like and refused to take the critiques, soooooooooo...

• Love 3