Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E10: Restaurant Wars, Part 2

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

For those in the know, could team District....could they have really been that bad? They aren't idiots.

well, for one thing, they had phillip......

second.  jeremy himself said he's seen all 12 seasons and yet he still cooked risotto......and he cooked it with water......

amar was executive chef and he never tasted the food going out.  oops.  looking at his resume, he's from laguna beach and that sort of explains it.  that's hippie country in a world of their own.

then, jeremy messed up lunch which screwed their prep time.

looking at their food, it looked pretty bad, the dinner side i mean.

• Love 2

The red (or orange - was it orange?) team, however, was a mess.

Padma called them the orange team, but their aprons were clearly red. Maybe not cherry red, but way closer to red than orange.

What the hell kind of rival team colors are gray and orange supposed to be, anyway? Next up, eggshell blue vs. violet!

Edited by In Pog Form
  • Love 3

I know this is stupid but what is pork belly and what does it taste like? Really thick bacon?

No, bacon is scriper and smoky.  Pork belly, while from the same area tastes more like really succulent, slow cooked ribs, minus the bone, plus all kinds of meaty and fatty goodness.  It melts in your mouth, it is tender and juicy.... drool....  

• Love 2

Before I read all these posts, I just need to make a prediction:

Philip’s next appearance will be on The Next Food Network Star.

He has this vision of himself as this misunderstood, underappreciated chef who needs to vindicate himself in a blaze of glory, then everyone who was mean to him (in his mind) will be sorry.

• Love 9

During the first part of the season, Phillip tried to figure out what would impress the judges.  He tried plating on a rock, cooking to "their" taste (i.e., someone likes xyz, so I'll do xyz), commenting that he knows this judge or that judge.  Finally, a few weeks ago by some sort of miracle, he got the WIN!!! for cooking something "his" way.

That apparently gave him the confidence to put out that gawdawful strawberry salad and dressing ... not to mention the insipid cocktail.  Buh-bye, Phillip!

• Love 2

Before I read all these posts, I just need to make a prediction:

He has this vision of himself as this misunderstood, underappreciated chef who needs to vindicate himself in a blaze of glory, then everyone who was mean to him (in his mind) will be sorry.

That is a perfect place for him.  Because its a show that looks for both personality and cooking ability it often fails to find the best of either.  ManBun is not a fabulous chef, but he HAS to be better than a lot of people on FNS and he certainly has a confident personality that would translate to TV.  I'm not sure who his audience would be.

His Food Network show will be a reality show about a young, scrappy, talented but underappreciated chef owning and running a trendy restaurant in LA. How does he overcome his trials and tribulations? Why is he always misunderstood when he means well? Why does no one appreciate his genius and the great gift of himself he is bestowing to humanity? It would be a hit for sure!

• Love 6

Oh, Phillip. You are defintely the answer to that not-so-fresh feeling. You know who wants to be handed a glass of some random juice 'cocktail' when they walk through the door and left standing awkwardly with it while the host plays bartender? Nobody, Phillip. Well, maybe Blais. He seems to like the way you think. But seriously, nobody else.

Also? You don't run the front of house for both your restaurants, because in order to run the front of house you have to be present. At best, that means nobody is running the front of house in your restaurants half the time. But I doubt that, Phillip. I suspect whoever runs them when you're not there also runs it when you are there and bestowing the benison of your celebrity upon the diners. And if you wanted someone to recreate your dish exactly, you should have chosen a dish that a busy cook can plate instead of one that rises or falls on whether you add the lemon early. You know, like you told those folks at the door you did.

I made braised lamb for christmas dinner. That recipe you get when you google it? Is a lie. It really does take all those hours. But wow, is it good, and no work after it goes in the oven. It was a super smart dish to choose (see how that works, Phillip?)

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

I hate to defend Phillip and he does go on and on when someone asks him anything but I would guess that both the tattoo and restaurant monologues were him initial responding to questions asked by the customers.

I'd bet that the tattoo discussion was a response to a question. However, there's a line between "oh, I got them a few years ago," or "they're a couple of things that have personal meaning for me" and yanking at your shirt to show off the top of your chest region as you prepare your customers for dinner. A throwaway line is all that's needed. Anyone who has a visible tat should have something short, sweet and to the point prepared (I do; few really care that much about that tat). As for the conversation about the restaurants, I'd be willing to bet he did something to at least goose the question, perhaps something along the lines of "tonight we're going to serve you salad soup, inspired by my own restaurants right here in L.A." ..."What restaurants? Why my goodness, thanks for asking!" Blah blah blah blah blah.

The point is, it doesn't really matter if the guests asked him or not. Restaurant Wars gives the chefs the opportunity to shine in the context of working in a team. That usually means doing your individual part, and sometimes more, with the best interests of the group in mind. Marjorie did it. Man Bun did not. Whenever I watch Restaurant Wars I thank the stars above I'd never have to do something like that - it looks incredibly stressful - but I think it does underscore that being a chef isn't a solitary enterprise. It's one thing to turn out great dishes when you don't have to worry about producing them for large groups of people who are continuously streaming in and out of the equation. Teamwork, trust, communication - they're all critical. The orange/red team developed an "every man for himself" attitude that ultimately killed them, I think - dinner sure seemed to be an utter failure. Kwame attempted to tell Man Bun that the salad taste wasn't right, but of course, he was shot down. Amar decided he'd just keep his head low and do what he was told. No one felt free to suggest using broth instead of water to Jeremy. Failure was the only outcome here, in my opinion.

As far as the grey team goes, it seems to me that Isaac could have sunk that team if he'd copped an attitude about Marjorie's attitude. But he did what he was supposed to do (what he's basically paid to do): be a professional. It wouldn't have served him or his team mates to sulk or be self-serving in restaurant wars and that makes me happy he won. Since I didn't see the previous episode, I have no idea how harsh Marjorie was with him, but if she really was, props to Isaac for using it as inspiration to kick ass for himself and his team.

Several months ago I listened to an interview with Donald Link, one of the popular (and talented) chefs in New Orleans. He told the interviewer that he'd rather have someone doing crack in his kitchen than have a complainer. His theory was that he can deal with the drugs in the kitchen, but a complainer is a cancer that infects everyone and ruins the vibe in the kitchen. Though Man Bun wasn't "complaining," the premise is basically the same; I sense the mix of people on the orange/red team turned it into a group of individuals, whereas the grey team was really a team.

• Love 13

His Food Network show will be a reality show about a young, scrappy, talented but underappreciated chef owning and running a trendy restaurant in LA. How does he overcome his trials and tribulations? Why is he always misunderstood when he means well? Why does no one appreciate his genius and the great gift of himself he is bestowing to humanity? It would be a hit for sure!

how come no one realizes his food is so delicious?  is this some opposite world where people don't enjoy yummy food?  Should he make gross food just so that people will like it?  No way, that would make him a sellout!

Hmm, come to think of it, I might watch a few episodes of ManBun's delusional rantings...did you know he owns two restaurants?  Did he tell you that yet?

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 3

What's the story about ManBun's parents buying him not one, but two, crappy restaurants? That explains so, so much. 

This was just a all around hot mess. Lunch was borderline disaster, but dinner was car crash disaster. The judges poking at dishes, making faces, and practically spitting food out is sure to set new lows in the Top Chef history. I do kind of think they brought that one on themselves. To have them make lunch and dinner, I don't think the judges factored in the amounts of disjointed food and drink they were going to consume. Tom look like he was ready to hurl by the end of the second dinner. 

• Love 4

Oh, Phillip. You are defintely the answer to that not-so-fresh feeling. You know who wants to be handed a glass of some random juice 'cocktail' when they walk through the door and left standing awkwardly with it while the host plays bartender? Nobody, Phillip. Well, maybe Blais. He seems to like the way you think. But seriously, nobody else.

Dudes looking for a way to slip something into a girls drink before having to  spend money on dinner? 

And Blais.  

• Love 3

You gotta love the symmetry of an episode that begins with Philip "Rabbitface" Lee patronizing a waiter -- a waiter who apparently volunteered to help slice the strawberries, natch -- with the comment, "Do you know how to use a knife?", and ends with that very chef being told to pack his knives and get the fuck out.

(I might be paraphrasing Padma, slightly.)

• Love 18

I do feel like that question from a chef is slightly more specific than have you ever used a knife before. Right after college, I had a temp receptionist job where the person training me asked me if I knew how to open mail. I was like, "....? I get mail at my house and open that??" But of course there were procedures and stuff in doing it at work. 

Marjorie was definitely the hidden star of that team, but I kind of can't get over her attitude with Isaac.  

• Love 9

For those who wonder why Philip even went on Top Chef if he wasn't prepared to take criticism, consider that 1) he assumes he's the best and so no one will be able to criticize him and 2) he's on there to promote his brand. Which has something to do with microgreens and tattoos and buns. 

Even if he went on Next Food Network Star, I can't believe anyone would want to see more of his personality.  Also, if he won, he wouldn't get a cooking show.  The Food Network doesn't do cooking shows any more.  Philip would have to go somewhere and eat something and then comment on how good it is.  

• Love 7

I need to learn to open mail correctly. I rip stuff to shreds. 

I thought Jeremy cooked the risotto in water to save money-- sort of why Kwame's dish was itty bitty tiny. Don't they have a pretty small budget? Hence the tripe (my husband loves tripe and it's about 3-4 dollars a pound, never more than that). When the judges were talking about tripe, and the guest judge was like, "Organ meat is becoming more acceptable... blah blah" I was thinking, "yeah, chefs make it because it's super cheap and no one buys the stuff and knows that!" 

Chicken hearts and beef hearts too--- so cheap yet so many foodie places are making them and selling them as apps for like 10-12 bucks. At the asian market they are never more than 1.99 pound. The stuff is so bad for you too. And I rolled my eyes at Husk when they were selling fried pigs feet tacos for outlandish prices. Pigs feet are SO CHEAP! Omg, makes me insane. 

Digress.

Edited by bravofan27
  • Love 3

1. Who was the guy doing prep work for the red team, and why was that allowed?

2. Was Karen giving the Gummy Artisan the finger as he was leaving?

1. Some random dude hanging out in that alley? A TV crew member? Who knows??? I know I've seen other RWs deputize non-chefs to do stuff before, so it seems to be allowed.

2. I totally came here to ask exactly this question! If you've still got it on dvr, watch it. I had to rewind and watch it two more times. It really looks like Karen gave him the finger.

The orange looked orange on my TV -- not red.

Buh bye, Man Bun. 

• Love 4

And risotto continues to be the downfall of Top Chef. I don't understand making that on this show with any type of time constraint challenge, but to do it for RW is truly insane. So now we've had snot on a rock and spittle on a plate on one season. I dearly hope no other bodily fluids are forthcoming. Relieved Philip is gone, I didn't have burning hate for him, but mostly frustration for his special snowflake syndrome. I mean, he really believed his own hype and people like that flabbergast me. I figured it would be him, or Jeremy, or maybe Carl if he's even still there. Kwame needs to step it up, he seems to be sliding lately. Happy for Issac, I do like him, and now he can feel less stabby towards someone.

• Love 3

Even if he went on Next Food Network Star, I can't believe anyone would want to see more of his personality.

Bobby Flay would never let Phillip get past the audition stage.

I am going to force myself to rewatch since apparently I slept through some of it. I missed the tattoo show & tell.

• Love 1

I think the guest judge's restaurant is terrible. Both times I went to bestia (because there is so much hype about it), the service was terrible, the waiters had attitude, and the dishes were totally eh and some were bad.

Edited by Brooke0707
  • Love 3

Wow, that strawberry salad was the flip side of that old joke, "The food there was terrible. Yes, and such small portions."

That was one humongous pile of food for one 'salad' course.

And in my opinion, ALL foam looks like spittle.

• Love 9

Clearly the judges did not know how badly the red/orange team f..'d up their lunch service or at least did not understand the depth of the problem. If they had, then Jeremy, he of the water made risotto, would have headed home - he should have been PPYKAG'd. At least it spared us another week of watching the battle of Philip against the world, but really against himself.

In all the years of watching the show (I started with Chicago-Season 4) I don't ever remember hearing that many terrible reviews during one show. It seemed like every dish of the red/orange team, from the cocktail, to Kwane's mess of a foam (baby spittle-love you Gail) sorta crudo, to the strawberry dessert salad to the worst risotto ever on TC, to Amar's face puckering vinegar sauce it was one hit after another. The best dish was a "serviceable" steak course (which had been badly undercooked while the judges were visiting the other restaurant) with garnish that made no sense. Throw in Karen's mealy and poorly conceived trout dish and it was a really awful performance. Making all of this worse is that it happened in a challenge they KNEW they would have-they had time to write a song about Restaurant Wars!, It is not like they made bad dishes with vending machine food or after riding a bike to beg for ingredients!

And you can call me an old man, but I am turned off by servers with lots of tattoos and piercings etc so the look on Karen and Philip (and Marjorie at lunch) was not appetizing.

Hoooray for Isaac-he won't be TOP CHEF, but he can brag about winning restaurant war. More importantly, he can know that after turning out food that was almost always tasty and appealing and not acting like a jerk, diners will want to go eat his food and backers will want to support him since not only will diners want to come, but he actually knows how to, I don't know, RUN a kitchen!!

ETA: Episodes like this make me realize how great Gail is. On top of being able to explain the dishes, techniques and ultimately tastes, you get "it was just stupid" about the strawberry salad and "baby spittle" about the foam-just perfect...and all without extreme attitude like Padma.

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 13

Gail seemed snarkier than usual,  Tom literally scratching his head during service, half eaten plates of food .  I don't remember them ever being so dumbfounded by a meal during RW.  Beginning with being told here's a podium cocktail please wait to be seated...I'm pretty sure the judges hate having to wait to be seated - especially when there is no real reason other than some wannabe thinks it's cool.

Apparently the win that Mun had boosted his ego enough to go down in spectacular flames this week...it was glorious!! 

• Love 7

I am going to force myself to rewatch since apparently I slept through some of it. I missed the tattoo show & tell.

There was a young kid a few seasons ago that was, to me, even worse than ManBun.  I know they kept him around for entertainment value, and I think he knew it so it wasn't really that interesting.  ManBun seems to sincerely believe every single one of his delusions....which makes him entertaining to me.  He is just so absurd and ridiculous, so lacking in any self awareness.....I think that's such a rarity, but perfect for reality TV.  Especially a show like FNS that is so focused on personality.  And while I think ManBun's food wasn't good enough for TC, I feel like the bar is lower with FNS.  That Lenny guy ended up having weird YouTube videos where I'm pretty sure he had sex with some corn.....and not romantic sex either, like angry corn sex....it was odd.

Apparently the win that Mun had boosted his ego enough to go down in spectacular flames this week...it was glorious!! 

It really was!  Makes me glad they waited until after he had a win and got to be in a front of house role.

• Love 1

If that happens, it might make folks with long memories forget what a disaster The Food Network had with Chef Lenny. At least, all of Phillip's "history" is probably all out there. Evidently, the folks doing the background didn't do much checking up on Lenny, who, after winning, has all but disappeared off the face of the earth since all those "vulgarities" showed up.. I think Phillip is gonna be around on one network or other on various cooking shows....Phillip's delusional, but so easy, not to mention fun, to dislike. lol

• Love 1

I don't understand the appeal of a FREE cocktail when the entire meal is, presumably, free also.

Maybe I missed something, but I don't understand how Isaac won.  What exactly did he do that was so great?  I mean, other than complain about the other chefs being mean to him, grrrrrr!  Does he know how to cook anything other than stew?

Agreed that Marjorie and Karen looked like crap while FOH.  Take some pride, ladies!

Bye Phillip!  I feel sorry for you.  It must be tough, going through life being so unaware and unhappy.  I feel bad that this is what bad parenting turned you into.

I eat McDonald's and Pizza Pops on a regular basis and even I understand that risotto shouldn't be attempted on any cooking show and that it is not made with water.  Stupid Jeremy!

I don't think there's one person that I'm really rooting for this year.  They're either douches, bitches, or make crappy food, sometimes all of the above.

• Love 2

Maybe I missed something, but I don't understand how Isaac won.  What exactly did he do that was so great?  I mean, other than complain about the other chefs being mean to him, grrrrrr!  Does he know how to cook anything other than stew?

Admittedly I didn't see last week, but from what I gathered from the judges and other contestant's comments, Isaac was responsible for two very good dishes and Carl gave him props for running the kitchen well during lunch time - good expediting, if I remember correctly. Marjorie rocked the front of the house (apparently) and made good bread, but her dinner dish - the desert - was a fail. Karen's fish sucked - evidently it REALLY sucked. I don't know what Carl did that was good/bad, but it seemed that Isaac fired on all cylinders for the challenge. The only complaining I noted from him in this episode was the talking head where he said he would use getting chosen last as motivation to show them he was deserving as more than a last choice pick (or at least that's my interpretation of it). Maybe if Marjorie had knocked the desert out of the park or had done something other than desert she would have been chosen as winner, but I think her panna cotta worked against her.

• Love 6

Questions:

1. Who was the guy doing prep work for the red team, and why was that allowed?

2. Was Karen giving the Gummy Artisan the finger as he was leaving?

I distinctly saw Karen giving him the finger, and rewound it several times to watch. At least it looked like the finger to me.

• Love 5

Fair thee well, Oh, Phillip!  Thanks for the glorious memories.  I'm hard pressed to think of another person who is as awkward on every level as you were.  Comedy gold in small doses and the help of the editing monkeys.  

Issak is growing on me, and I have some new found respect for him in how he conducted himself with his team after being staunchly snubbed.  That's playing the long game really well.

Old Marge still just looks like a thumb to me.  But Thumballina sure can make bread.

• Love 11

I cannot believe I forgot to laugh about "Bangkok Dangerous" last night.  Thank God the forum reminded me to.  It's like the title of a really bad early 80's porno.  Seriously does Manbun really have no self-awareness at all?  

And really dude, any cocktail with "dangerous" in it should at least have proper liquor and not soju.  Dumbass.  

Edited by LilyoftheValley
  • Love 9

Issak is growing on me, and I have some new found respect for him in how he conducted himself with his team after being staunchly snubbed.  That's playing the long game really well.

I didn't hear complaining or whining-I thought he behaved very well considering the other team members didn't listen to a word he said. He made a fish stew for lunch, but his dinner dish was not a stew-it was braised pork shoulder with a sauce the judges liked. Plus, he cranked out the lunch service in a way that even his own teammates complimented him...and let's not even discuss how much better he handled it than the other team who I think are still serving lunch.

Interestingly, I don't think he is "playing the long game well"-I think that is just him and that he is not playing at all!

Interesting that it appears that they have already shot the finale-usually, they shoot it when the field gets a little more narrow, but from previews, it sure looks like they are done.

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 10

He let in Lenny.

• Love 4

I didn't hear complaining or whining-I thought he behaved very well considering the other team members didn't listen to a word he said. He made a fish stew for lunch, but his dinner dish was not a stew-it was braised pork shoulder with a sauce the judges liked. Plus, he cranked out the lunch service in a way that even his own teammates complimented him...and let's not even discuss how much better he handled it than the other team who I think are still serving lunch.

Interestingly, I don't think he is "playing the long game well"-I think that is just him and that he is not playing at all!

Yes, I think that's right. Isaac made two of the favorite dishes plus excelled as Executive Chef. RW wins/losses often hinge on the role of EC, and he knocked it out so that was likely the deciding factor. I might have given it to Marjorie for being an all-around contributor and enabling Karen's FOH success, but the judges may not have seen that and they rarely weight value desserts / sides / FOH as much as mains / EC.

• Love 4

My favorite front of house of all time was Fabio. Dressed like he just finished a shoot at GQ. They know the night before who will be FOH and they bring proper clothes. My only critique on either of them is that they made bad choices in wardrobe. Nothing against them personally.

top-chef-320.jpg

• Love 13

Both the guys who did FOH wore sports coats - having a coat or jacket makes you look more professional.  And like you are in charge, and that's what FOH is all about.  Fabio exemplified that when he did it.  If the women didn't bring them, they could have borrowed them from the guys.

The conversation between Gail and Tom about the crudo was cringe worthy.  Neither of them has tried to do what the contestants are doing, under pressure and with cameras rolling.  Having at least one dish that can be prepared ahead of time is probably a good idea.  It needs to be a good crudo, though. 

Were they all out of carrot broth for Jeremy to use in the risotto?  Water, really?

I disliked this format and hope they don't do it again.  Last year's "special orders" was a better test of the kitchens.  What do you do if you have to feed someone with allergies or who is a vegan and you have a set menu?

• Love 4

I agree. Twenty years ago these people would have been seen as a creative genius - a person just too cool for school whose unbounded self-expression could not be contained by any norms of mainstream professionalism. Now they are run-of-the-mill. Pink hair and tattoos are banal and ordinary. They actually just look like dumpy women approaching middle age who are desperately clinging to what they think is youthful and hip.

At the end of the day their look is just dated and and very, very sloppy. Ironically, it would be truly refreshing to see a woman on this show who looked and dressed her age without them talking about their sexuality. I would love to see a woman on this show who kept herself totally professional.

Marjorie is 30 according to Wikipedia, not really approaching middle age and I think who mostly dresses like most 30 year olds I've known. As to women on this show who kept themselves totally professional I submit to you, Mei Lin (28) last year's winner, Stephanie Izzard (31 at time of shooting), Jennifer Carroll (33), Carla Hall (46 and one of my faves)... and the list goes on and on. There have been plenty of women on the show who looked and dressed "their age." 

• Love 12

I may not be remembering all RWs past, but I feel like the way the chefs talked about the specialized roles was different this year than in the past -- the "head chefs" mostly served as expediters, and the successful front of house folks really saw it as General Manager. I wonder if that was just based on the group and their experience/personalities/etc. or if it was (supposed to be) strategic in some way. 

• Love 2

I don't have an issue with the women's physical appearance. I have an issue with their outfits, which were in Marjorie's case, a casual blouse which didn't appear to fit particularly well, and in Karen's a sundress noticeably more casual than the style of the restaurant or the servers. FOH is supposed to be at least as dressy as the diners, and I don't think they were. They also both went with bare arms, which I found to be a questionable choice. I really prefer not having armpits at my eye level while I'm eating.

I'm also at a bit of a loss why Marjorie is considered to be such a miracle worker for being able to bake risen bread. The yeast do all the work. It's not rocket surgery.

• Love 10

Marjorie looked a little messy in her FOH outfit and Karen's was just ugly IMO. I can't deal with that kind of floral pattern on any female over the age of 6 though. 

I eat McDonald's and Pizza Pops on a regular basis and even I understand that risotto shouldn't be attempted on any cooking show and that it is not made with water.  Stupid Jeremy!

I've had risotto once in my life. I'm very picky and the meal came with mushroom risotto. The waitress acted like I asked for something unheard of when I asked if I could get it without the mushrooms and told me she would have to check. Isn't that the point of risotto? It's not made is a giant vat waiting to be ladled out like gruel? Or have all the cooking shows been lying to me? And even I know you wouldn't make it with water. it's not Rice-a-Roni.

• Love 2

Risotto should not be in a giant vat waiting to be ladled out like gruel!  It should be prepared a la minute, which is why it's a bad choice for something like Restaurant Wars.  Fucking Gordon Ramsay and his stupid shows do not depict fine dining.  Mushrooms in a risotto should be cooked in  the stock with the rice, so it's probably hard to take them out.

• Love 4

Philip would have to go somewhere and eat something and then comment on how good it is.

I hope that place is Skeeter's Free-Range Rock'n'Snot Ranch in Arizona.

Clearly the judges did not know how badly the red/orange team f..'d up their lunch service or at least did not understand the depth of the problem.

It was weird that they didn't have anyone monitoring their kitchen performance. It doesn't have to be Tom doing a sniff'n'sneer - they could have some surrogate for the judges anonymously watching and reporting back.

I don't understand the appeal of a FREE cocktail when the entire meal is, presumably, free also.

Especially when the show's producers already paid for all the ingredients, the venue, the kitchen equipment, etc. Tom and Padma are executive producers, they essentially bankrolled the meal.

• Love 2