Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E10: Restaurant Wars, Part 2

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

More from Phillip's website(s). This is the front page of his entire sub-site for his "gadarene swine" (no, that's not a pretentious name at all!) restaurant.

This is the food image he wants to present (it's even labeled "Vegetables Elevated"):

hgztOCF.jpg?1

So a slimy, mossy rock bowl. A tiny bunch of parsley (or some similar herb) on top of a handful of... are those root vegetables--I can't even effing tell under that icky foam? And I think those might be fried onions to one side (so the only really good thing on there, likely). Topped by disgusting looking yellow FOAM.

Urg!

I swear. We don't need anything other than this image (and it's prominent placement on the front page of his restaurant site) to know how far his head is up his own ass.

That 'foam' looks like the dog vomit slime mold I once had in my vegetable garden. So gross. 

I think I may miss the entertainment value of his delusional rantings, but that is outweighed by the relief of knowing that he definitely for sure does not win. 

• Love 1

That 'foam' looks like the dog vomit slime mold I once had in my vegetable garden. So gross. 

I bet we could take a some dog turds (some little skinny ones shaped like the vegetable on Phillip's plate), cover them with a bit of grass and some of that dog vomit, "plate" it on top of a slimy moss covered stone from your garden, and it would look better than this (and Phillip, if we sent a photo to him would want to know what the vegetable was and if we'd send him the recipe). 

Edited by Kromm

Also reminds me of Kwame dinging Philip on wanting to use wine glasses shaped like mason jars during the shopping trip:  "Do you use those in your restaurant?  Of course you do." 

I was shocked he wanted Mason Jars....it's such a Pinterest/Say Yes to the Dress/Wedding cliche.  Of course someone else pointed out he was using apple crates for seating.

• Love 2

Even if he went on Next Food Network Star, I can't believe anyone would want to see more of his personality.  Also, if he won, he wouldn't get a cooking show.  The Food Network doesn't do cooking shows any more.  Philip would have to go somewhere and eat something and then comment on how good it is.

Sigh, I hate The Food Network now. I used to love it, but they drove it into the ground by focusing on "personalities" and not food. I'm shocked they still have an audience.

• Love 3

I think the problem is that a man can put on jeans and t shirt and pull on a blazer/sport coat and still look really good.  I guess women can do that to but the issue as I see it here is that many women on the show express themselves either through fashion or through a lack of fashion.  I think Marjorie just doesn't give a shit about fashion, which is fine, but when you are the "face" of anything you have to fake it a little bit.  Then we have people like last season's Betty Paige impersonator (never seen that look before) who looked like Betty Paige as FOH.  It did not look professional to see a grown woman in a Halloween costume as the face of a "nice" restaurant.  Karen's outfit simply did not look professional.  Indeed, I think that sleeveless rarely looks all that professional.  Or rather, when in doubt, don't go sleeveless.  Had Karen thrown a blazer on that and worn some black flats, she would have looked fine.  

I dunno, but if I were going on TC, I would bring a nice outfit that would look really sharp if I were picked for FOH.  I suppose I see this as part of being the quintessential restaurateur, and not just a chef who is always in the back of house.  For all that Philip is clueless, at least he clearly wants to be a well-rounded restaurateur, which is something all the best chefs are at the end of the day.  The prize from this show is money for the winner to open up their own restaurant - that means the winner should be a person who could run their own top restaurant.  A person who cannot present themselves as a true professional won't be able to pull that off.

Sleeveless dresses are no longer considered inappropriate in the workplace though. I work at a conservative bank, and woman wear sleeveless dresses all the time, even the lawyers. Actually, I don't think many dresses are made with sleeves any longer. The majority of work dresses are sleeveless. It's not weird to see. The idea of a woman not showing her arms is really dated.

• Love 9

Sigh, I hate The Food Network now. I used to love it, but they drove it into the ground by focusing on "personalities" and not food. I'm shocked they still have an audience.

The only thing I can stand on the Food Network now is Willie Degel, and I don't know where he's been recently.

Sleeveless dresses are no longer considered inappropriate in the workplace though. I work at a conservative bank, and woman wear sleeveless dresses all the time, even the lawyers ... The idea of a woman not showing her arms is really dated.

I think there's a difference between "in the workplace in general" and "in a food serving setting".
  • Love 3

Sleeveless dresses are no longer considered inappropriate in the workplace though. I work at a conservative bank, and woman wear sleeveless dresses all the time, even the lawyers. Actually, I don't think many dresses are made with sleeves any longer. The majority of work dresses are sleeveless. It's not weird to see. The idea of a woman not showing her arms is really dated.

That may be fine for an office job, and I certainly would have no problem with my attorney wearing a sleeveless dress, but certain environments do not call for it. I worked in a salon for many years and we have a strict no tits/no pits policy. I did it for ten years and it's very manageable. Besides, everyone else was wearing sleeves, from the chefs to the wait staff. Karen and Marjorie were clearly the odd ones out. It's really a no-brainer if they've spent any time in a restaurant. A light sweater or shrug would have been an easy fix. Where's the wardrobe department on this show?

• Love 1

Boy Bun.  Angry Corn Sex.  This thread has me falling off my chair laughing tonight, thank you!

Wolf I am.  What does that even mean?   

Go Isaac!  He made me smile with his excitement of winning RW.  I really hope he makes the finals. 

I do not like green eggs and ham.

I do not like them, Wolf I am.

• Love 8

That may be fine for an office job, and I certainly would have no problem with my attorney wearing a sleeveless dress, but certain environments do not call for it. I worked in a salon for many years and we have a strict no tits/no pits policy. I did it for ten years and it's very manageable. Besides, everyone else was wearing sleeves, from the chefs to the wait staff. Karen and Marjorie were clearly the odd ones out. It's really a no-brainer if they've spent any time in a restaurant. A light sweater or shrug would have been an easy fix. Where's the wardrobe department on this show?

LOL, my hairdresser is amazingly talented IMO.  But she has GIANT breasts and a penchant for sleeveless tops.  When she used to wash my hair I just didn't know where to look or what to do.  Eventually I just closed my eyes and hope for it to be over quick.  Then I realized that I could just wash/condition my own hair before I went in because I like my products better.  

Out of all the unappetizing food that I saw plated tonight, I still can't fathom that an actual chef cooked his risotto with water. Seriously.

Okay--^^^I made saffron shrimp risotto last week, and even I used vegetable broth and some V8 juice as the liquid, for crying out loud, and I'm just a little old home cook who loves food, cooking, great restaurants, etc., but not a TRAINED chef or even someone who'd describe herself as a great cook. WHO--on a cooking competition makes risotto with water?! In Restaurant Wars???

• Love 3

Maybe we can agree got disagree, but I honestly don't get it. What does working the front of a restaurant have anything to do with sleeves? How is it offensive not to wear sleeves? It's not like they're rubbing their pits in your food. Maybe the dress wasn't necessarily flattering to Karen's body type, but it was a perfectly nice dress. I'll have to pay more attention when I go out to eat, but I'm pretty sure I have seen hosts without sleeves. 

• Love 9

Maybe we can agree got disagree, but I honestly don't get it. What does working the front of a restaurant have anything to do with sleeves? How is it offensive not to wear sleeves? It's not like they're rubbing their pits in your food. Maybe the dress wasn't necessarily flattering to Karen's body type, but it was a perfectly nice dress. I'll have to pay more attention when I go out to eat, but I'm pretty sure I have seen hosts without sleeves. 

Having had the experience with my hairdresser I think the biggest problem for me would be if they were serving me food.  Because when I watch the servers and they are setting down the dish, their armpit area as they reach out with the plate is close to the diners face, because the dinner is sitting, the server is standing and sort of bent down with outstretched arm.  naked armpit in the vicinity of the face is no bueno.  And, I would imagine it might be tough too if the FOH person was coming over to talk to you and ask you how the meal was going because they would be standing, you would be sitting and there is another opportunity for your face to be around naked armpit.  If you just have a hostess that is going to show you to your seat, the sleeveless dress would probably be fine because you're really not going to have an interaction with your hostess that involves them approaching you standing up while you are sitting down therefore there won't be any face/armpit time.

• Love 2

I thought they looked like cooks who didn’t have the luxury of going home to shower and get pretty and were doing the best they could in a chaotic, hot environment. But even if I did think they looked like "crap", coming at women for how they look still disturbs me. 

I'm with you on this.  Phillip and Kwame didn't look any better.  

As to Marjorie - she admitted she was wrong about Isaac.  She trained the staff for both services, and I think her dessert suffered by adding the champagne - but the judges did tell them to bring their dishes up a notch.  'Champagne' is usually considered classy.

• Love 1

I'm with you on this.  Phillip and Kwame didn't look any better.  

As to Marjorie - she admitted she was wrong about Isaac.  She trained the staff for both services, and I think her dessert suffered by adding the champagne - but the judges did tell them to bring their dishes up a notch.  'Champagne' is usually considered classy.

I realize that MV on these things, but Kwame had on a pair of slacks, a nice starched shirt and a jacket for lunch service.  ManBun had on a jacket, a button down shirt and jeans.  I can't see how Marjorie with messy hair, jeans, and a pretty unfortunate sleeveless top was in the same league.  

Out of everyone, I think Kwame looked the best, but that is based on having a jacket, a pair of slacks (or dark pants) and what, to me, looked like a starched white shirt.  Karen had a dress, but it was a little casual....she looked like she could be going to a picnic or a bbq.  I do think she tried and I give her credit for that.

• Love 4

FOH, or host, maitre d' etc RARELY serve the food in restaurants: that is normally done by the wait staff.  Only in RW do they seem to serve the food because they are supposed to describe the food and tell who made what.

So I don't care what they wear only that they seat me in a timely fashion and not at the worst table in the restaurant.  

I care much more about where waiters fingers are on my plates and glassware!

• Love 2

I realize that MV on these things, but Kwame had on a pair of slacks, a nice starched shirt and a jacket for lunch service.  ManBun had on a jacket, a button down shirt and jeans.  I can't see how Marjorie with messy hair, jeans, and a pretty unfortunate sleeveless top was in the same league.  

Out of everyone, I think Kwame looked the best, but that is based on having a jacket, a pair of slacks (or dark pants) and what, to me, looked like a starched white shirt.  Karen had a dress, but it was a little casual....she looked like she could be going to a picnic or a bbq.  I do think she tried and I give her credit for that.

It's easy for a guy to throw on a shirt and a jacket.  My guess is Marjorie didn't bring anything for FOH - not all women are interested in clothes and fashion. She may not own anything more formal. I gather being a chef doesn't mean you make a ton of money, and buying larger size 'dressy' clothes is expensive. I don't know what size she wears, but I'm guessing you won't find it at Kohl's or TJ Maxx. I wouldn't call Karen's dress casual.  I saw someone out for a Valentine's dinner wearing something very similar.  If she was thin, I don't think anyone would have said anything about the dress.  

I went to a fancy and trendy restaurant where everyone was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, including the host.  I imagine California is even more casual. 

• Love 7

It's easy for a guy to throw on a shirt and a jacket.  My guess is Marjorie didn't bring anything for FOH - not all women are interested in clothes and fashion. She may not own anything more formal. I gather being a chef doesn't mean you make a ton of money, and buying larger size 'dressy' clothes is expensive. I don't know what size she wears, but I'm guessing you won't find it at Kohl's or TJ Maxx. I wouldn't call Karen's dress casual.  I saw someone out for a Valentine's dinner wearing something very similar.  If she was thin, I don't think anyone would have said anything about the dress.  

I went to a fancy and trendy restaurant where everyone was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, including the host.  I imagine California is even more casual. 

But the fact that its easier for guys doesn't make her look any better or make them look any worse.  

She knew that RW was a thing and that she could have potentially been chosen for FOH so she should have packed something appropriate.  Budget is not really an excuse, there are thrift stores, Goodwills and Savlation Armys all over the place.  Not to mention a variety of stores like Nordstrom Rack, Burlington Coat Factory, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and other places that carry clothing at a discount, and in plus sizes.  Every single one of those stores I've been in has a plus size section because they get plus sized clothing from retailers that are selling it to them as they clear out their own inventory.  I wouldn't say that every woman has the same interest in clothing, but thats no excuse for not dressing appropriately for your job.  I don't assume all men love wearing slacks and jackets, but given the situation they knew to bring them.   I would call Karen's dress pretty casual, the material is light and flimsy and the boots make it even less dressy.  But thats fine, she tried and made the effort.  Honestly, that type of dress is something I most often see on skinny girls....when they are out doing something casual.  I think she could have made the dress a little dressier by putting on solid black flats and a jacket.

My experience with California dining has been very different.  If I go to a nice place the FOH person is dressed nicely.  And at any place I've been to, the FOH person looks as nice, if not nicer than the clientele.  I didn't see a single person in that seating area that looked as messy as Marjorie.  

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 3

FOH, or host, maitre d' etc RARELY serve the food in restaurants: that is normally done by the wait staff.  Only in RW do they seem to serve the food because they are supposed to describe the food and tell who made what.

So I don't care what they wear only that they seat me in a timely fashion and not at the worst table in the restaurant.  

I care much more about where waiters fingers are on my plates and glassware!

I've never had FOH serve me, but I have had managers and other members from FOH (not the hostess) come to ask me how my meal was and to have a short conversation.    This often requires them to get close to some party that is seated at the table while they are standing.  And if the dining room is loud they have sometimes had to bend to hear.  I wouldn't want to be that close to armpit.  

• Love 1

Karen is definitely doing a peace sign.

yPgBK4.jpg

A peace sign doesn't go that way - the palm faces outwards, not towards the person making the gesture. And you certainly don't thrust it upwards like that.

It's the same thing that disqualifies all of the alternate explanations offered - for example, "metal horns" or "hang ten" are thrown overarm, not scooped up from below like that. Both of those also have the palm out.

Tutorial here:

Also, being titled "Executive Producer" ties them to the production. A mere "contractor" wouldn't have such a title.

That just isn't the way the title of producer works in Hollywood. All EPs aren't created equal it can mean many things from the legitimate head person in charge to onscreen talent who don't do any extra work (there are exceptions of on air talent getting more hands on production decisions) but get the title and an additional salary to reflect their title but they still are only contracted by the production company for that show. It's just the way the business works where titles don't necessarily mean anything other than a different way for them to placate people. Seriously it's fairly fascinating the people who are listed as producers on productions and how much of it was using the title to have someone join or stay with a production (or their hairdresser, dog walker, soninlawm etc.)

Edited by biakbiak

If she was thin, I don't think anyone would have said anything about the dress.  

I agree with this assessment. Most of this thread has been reading like this: "If you're going to be a fat woman and you *must* go out in public subjecting the rest of us to your body, would you *at least* cover yourself up?"

I concede that some people have valid points about armpits and eye-level and all that, assuming they would say the same thing regardless of the person's size. For the rest of it, it's been unpleasant to read these attitudes flaunted as if it is fine to talk about human beings this way.

• Love 24

Yes, I agree with micat. I'm finding the obsession with women's attire tiresome and offensive. It has nothing to do with their cooking or FOH performance. Can we please move along? That said, I was happy to see Gail as a judge for restaurant wars. I wish they'd replace Padma with Gail, she seems to have a better handle on her judging. Also, it might just be editing, but Tom seems happier when she's there. 

• Love 12

Speaking of attire that fit for the job, WTH were they thinking putting more clothes on Padma during dinner service?  The option for eye-candy was pretty limited for non-gay male viewers, especially if Gail was not around.  

On that thought, Gail's bright smile countered balance the guess judge's rather dour & very serious face rather nicely.  The guy DID NOT even break a smile when the cheftestants broke out to RW song in previous episode

Edited by DarkRaichu

I understand that society being as it is, women have reason to be sensitive to body shaming.

That said, I don't know that there is any other reason than that to assume that the specific people speaking here are body shaming, and I'd appreciate it if I at least could be taken at my word.

And FWIW, I am significantly older than both contestants and not, by any stretch of the imagination, svelte.

• Love 3

I ended up feeling sorry for Phillip during this episode. He seems emotionally stunted, and his look of complete befuddlement after being so naively sure of his awesomeness made me uncomfortable--after I laughed, of course. The name of his drink, Bangkock Dangerous, reminded me of the way little kids nane stuff when they're really into pretending. Like, a classmate of my daughter's who insisted his name wasn't Luke but Super Agent Luke because he was actually a spy with magical powers,not a six-year-old on the playground.

I was glad Isaac won, but if Marjorie had won that would have been fine, too, IMO.

Since I often have bad dreams where I'm not dressed or need to do my hair and I have to be somewhere really, critically important right at that moment, I was just happy to see Karen in a dress and at the podium when she was. That was soooo stressful seeing her try to prepare her dishes while the waitstaff was milling about, knowing she still had to get presentable for her FOH duties.

• Love 1

I understand that society being as it is, women have reason to be sensitive to body shaming.

That said, I don't know that there is any other reason than that to assume that the specific people speaking here are body shaming, and I'd appreciate it if I at least could be taken at my word.

And FWIW, I am significantly older than both contestants and not, by any stretch of the imagination, svelte.

I agree, I don't know how we got to a point  any criticism of what a woman wears means you must have some agenda against bigger women.

I would have had the same attitude if Kwame/Phillip had shown up in jeans and a sleeveless top, and Karen's outfit wouldn't have been any less casual, to me, on a girl who was 100 pounds.  I do give her credit for trying though.  

And, how you look does have to do with FOH.  Part of FOH is the image that you present to the public and part of that is your appearance, for better or worse.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 4

The name of his drink, Bangkock Dangerous, reminded me of the way little kids nane stuff when they're really into pretending. Like, a classmate of my daughter's who insisted his name wasn't Luke but Super Agent Luke because he was actually a spy with magical powers,not a six-year-old on the playground.

All I could think of was Yahoo Serious.

• Love 4
On that thought, Gail's bright smile countered balance the guess judge's rather dour & very serious face rather nicely.  The guy DID NOT even break a smile when the cheftestants broke out to RW song in previous episode

He did start grinning all over the place when they started to really criticize some of the awful dinner dishes, though.  It seemed to bring him joy to do so.

A pause on the dinner menu at District LA showed that Kwame's first dish was called an "amouse bouche" [sic].  Sure, maybe you don't know French--but the word amuse is the same in English!

• Love 3

But the fact that its easier for guys doesn't make her look any better or make them look any worse.  

She knew that RW was a thing and that she could have potentially been chosen for FOH so she should have packed something appropriate.  Budget is not really an excuse, there are thrift stores, Goodwills and Savlation Armys all over the place.  Not to mention a variety of stores like Nordstrom Rack, Burlington Coat Factory, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and other places that carry clothing at a discount, and in plus sizes.  Every single one of those stores I've been in has a plus size section because they get plus sized clothing from retailers that are selling it to them as they clear out their own inventory.  I wouldn't say that every woman has the same interest in clothing, but thats no excuse for not dressing appropriately for your job.  I don't assume all men love wearing slacks and jackets, but given the situation they knew to bring them.   I would call Karen's dress pretty casual, the material is light and flimsy and the boots make it even less dressy.  But thats fine, she tried and made the effort.  Honestly, that type of dress is something I most often see on skinny girls....when they are out doing something casual.  I think she could have made the dress a little dressier by putting on solid black flats and a jacket.

My experience with California dining has been very different.  If I go to a nice place the FOH person is dressed nicely.  And at any place I've been to, the FOH person looks as nice, if not nicer than the clientele.  I didn't see a single person in that seating area that looked as messy as Marjorie.  

Marjorie looks larger than what is normally found at those stores.  Plus, do they even have time to go shopping?  I got the impression that there is very little down time for them.  If the hotel isn't in a downtown area, then she'd also need transportation. Should she have planned for the possibility of doing FOH? Maybe, however the shirt was clean and the jeans were clean.  Perhaps not dressy, but serviceable - especially for a pop up peopled by 'guests' who were there to be diners.  If I had to choose the really bad service with Kwame and his suit, and the great service by the jeans and white shirt of Marjorie - I choose Marjorie.

• Love 3

Marjorie looks larger than what is normally found at those stores.  Plus, do they even have time to go shopping?  I got the impression that there is very little down time for them.  If the hotel isn't in a downtown area, then she'd also need transportation. Should she have planned for the possibility of doing FOH? Maybe, however the shirt was clean and the jeans were clean.  Perhaps not dressy, but serviceable - especially for a pop up peopled by 'guests' who were there to be diners.  If I had to choose the really bad service with Kwame and his suit, and the great service by the jeans and white shirt of Marjorie - I choose Marjorie.

She should have packed/purchased something for RW before she actually showed up at the competition.  I'm assuming that Kwame/ManBun didn't go shopping in LA, but rather brought appropriate clothing with them.  Every one of the stores I mentioned carry clothing in sizes much larger than Marjorie.  She absolutely should have planned for having to do FOH. Just having "clean" clothes shouldn't be the measure for FOH, you should at least look as nice as your clientele.  

And if she didn't have anything appropriate she should have been executive chef and not taken the FOH role.  If she didn't plan to be FOH in RW, and she didn't have the right outfit for it, she should have simply not done it.  Each person had to take a turn as FOH OR EC.  She could have just as easily been EC, and let Carl or Issac do FOH.

Having had a better service doesn't make Marjorie's outfit any more appropriate.  She looked a sloppy mess, and there was really no excuse.  I've seen people look nicer working on a food truck.  In fact, most people working on food trucks look more put together than Marjorie.  

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1

Wow, ya'll are way more into what people look like/ expectations of FOH etc. than I am apparently. Admittedly, I didn't watch either ep with rapt attention, but I barely noticed what the FOH people were wearing aside from the fact that they were wearing clothes and doing their jobs. Nothing stood out to me as unhygienic or dirty/ unappetizing. 

I was far more concerned with how they were doing in running the restaurant and training the staff. The guys failed at that task, the girls did not (even if Marjorie trained for both services)

• Love 13

Here is what I find interesting about this discussion.  So far I've heard the following in defense of Marjorie's sloppy dress: 1) its easier for men to put on a jacket, 2) no one carries clothing in her size, 3) clothing is too expensive for her to buy anything appropriate, 4) there wasn't an area for her to find an appropriate outfit in LA, 5) that the way she was dressed was completely appropriate, in spite of the fact that every other FOH in RW I've ever seen has been better dressed and that FOH generally looks as nice as their clientele, 6) she didn't realize that she should have packed something for FOH in RW, and 7) her jeans and sleeveless top were on the same level as Karen in a dress, Kwame in slacks, starched shirt and a jacket, and ManBun in dark jeans, white button down shirt and a jacket.  

I'm waiting for someone theorize that Marjorie is in some cult that only allows people to wear jeans and sleeveless tops, or that she is from a race of alien people that are allergic to anything besides jeans and sleeveless tops.

The truth is that most dresses are fairly easy to put on, the vast majority of my dresses only have a zipper, wrap dresses only require a tie, and I have some dresses that I just pull over my head.  This is why I love dresses, because i never have to coordinate, or think about a tie or accessories, I can just put it on, put on matching shoes (heels or flats) and go.  And, I don't think the argument that Marjorie just can't find clothing holds much water either.  Do you  think she would go to a business meeting, job interview or meeting with potential investors looking the way she did?  If not,then there is clothing that she can afford, in her size that isn't jeans and a sleeveless top.  Most discount and regular retailers carry plus sized clothing in sizes that go beyond Marjorie.  But this idea that she somehow can't look any better because of her size is almost a slap in the face to all plus size women who manage to look well put together on a budget.  

And I wonder how many of these excuses there would be if either Kwame or ManBun had been dressed inappropriately?  I truly don't know.  I know that I would have pointed out ManBun or Kwame looking that sloppy, but there is no way for anyone else to know that since neither of them looked as sloppy as Marjorie.  And I suppose people would say that they would offer an equal defense of ManBun or Kwame looking sloppy...but I don't know.

• Love 2

Looked fine to me too. Where I live, plenty of FOH people wear sleeveless dresses and have visible tattoos. Maybe not in fine dining, but this is just a popup on a silly TV show.

I don't remember the judges ever commenting on the contestants' attire before anyway. And haven't we seen past contestants sleeveless or dressed fairly casually as well?

• Love 4

I really liked restaurant wars this season. A huge step up from last season in that the cast is so much more talented (all exec chefs in the bunch) and I really like the format change. Having each contestant serve as either FOH or exec chef is a great idea. No one can hide. Each person has to step up in some way and take risks.

• Love 1

I didn't hate the fact that Karen was wearing it as much as I hated that dress.  :D  I actually thought she did a great job as FOH, despite the way she was dressed.

I'm fat myself, and always conscious of how loud lines and patterns draw the eye, and not in a flattering way.  I avoid them like the plague.  If Karen likes them and they fit her style, she's welcome to them - but I will never not shudder when I see them, no matter who is wearing them.  

I also agree that body-shaming tends to mostly be directed at women.  No bueno.  

That said, I like the no pits/no tits rule for food service in general.  The best service is a compliment to the food and experience, not a distraction from it.  I don't give a shit what you look like if you are pleasant and helpful to me, but I don't really want to look at your sweaty armpit at eye level when I'm eating.  The most important concern in a restaurant is to fit in with a dress code that suits the restaurant.

• Love 1