Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E12: Showcase #2: Judges Vote

• Start Topic

I think Haley will be on next week. This week we have Ruben, Fantasia, Scotty, Lauren (only non winner appearing tonight), Caleb, and Nick.

Next week will be Haley, David Cook, Daughtry, I think Angie Miller, and some others I can't remember off the top of my head.

• Love 2

I'm beginning to think that beyond being an annoying reality show contestant, Jordan Sasser really crossed or ticked someone off behind the scenes. Why else would you add him to the Top 24, crush him for singing a song by his stated favorite artist exactly like he'd sung every other step along the way, and then give him Fantasia as a duet partner in the pimp spot to just beat him down with critiques one more time. Not a fan of his, but that seemed a bit liking kicking a horse while it was down.

As for the 7 moving on (La'Porsha, Sonika, Avalon, Gianna, Thomas, MacKenzie, and Jeneve). I missed on Jeneve. I really thought they wouldn't let a more marketable country singer (in Emily despite her trainwreck last night) go away this quickly. Now I'm even more convinced that Shelbie is getting through next week regardless of how well she does or doesn't do. I'm also annoyed that I called Gianna right. She doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the Top 14. But "fifteenness" and bribery/nepotism is turning out to be a powerful combination this season.

As for the other duets: You could've knocked me over with a feather when it was announced that La'Porsha and Fantasia would be dueting on Summertime. No really. Next. The incessant flirting from Lauren A. to MacKenzie was a bit much. I loved, loved Ruben and Avalon. Sonika and Caleb was interesting. They both sounded really good individually but I'm not sure their voices meshed particularly well. Jeneve and Scotty was a total hot mess, Caleb sounded great on Gimme Shelter and James got back to his true calling of being a guitarist in a band. Stephany got a raw deal, even on a pretty good duet she could never get much more than muted praise. Pretty easy to discern that her and Jenna Renae were there to make up numbers on the girls side like James and Jordan did on the guys side.

Edited because I forgot to mention that the judges are totally backwards on Thomas. Tonight in his duet w/ Nick was the first time he sounded remotely tolerable/palatable. So of course they universally pan that performance and bring back up his insufferable Creep cover in glowing terms. Yeesh.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 6

Seriously? Jeneve is through? Ugh. Would have preferred Stephany or James.. I'm sorry Emily's gone but I think last night screwed her.

Scotty did not seem all that into his performance with Jeneve.

LA Porsha once again got my attention. Avalon didn't do to bad. I feel like I'm a yoyo with the ladies.

So Damn Glad That Jordan Is Gone.

As for duets- Caleb/Sonika and Fantasia/La Porsha were my favorites. And damn Scott looks gooood.

Edited by AshleyLyn
  • Love 3

It was a little more exciting to see the Idol alums than the newbies. I'm even including Lauren Alaina. It's amazing what a few years and some grooming will do. I think the standouts for tonight were...Caleb and Fantasia, in that order. I love Caleb because he's built like a Pop Warner football coach but still wears skinny jeans like fuck it. He told what's-his-name to make the guitar his bitch, which is funny because they have obviously dropped all pretense of this being a family show. But dammit if he can't sing. He upstaged both his partners and he proved what I've always said: it's okay to be a WGWG, but you have to be able to sing. Being an interesting artist who can "make a song your own" is cool when people fuck with you, but before that you need to be able to just stand and belt it out.

RUUUUUBEN. It was nice seeing him again. I...thought OG lost weight though. But he brought out something in his duet partners. Ruben's probably super easy and charming to get along with. He probably inspires many women to be his leading lady. That sounded creepy.

Scotty and Lauren...I was over them on their season, but they're all growed up. Lauren is quite the confident little minx, isn't she? And she's got ass. Scotty has turned into quite the mature, stiff-legged, plainspoken, Southern gentleman which of course means he's gotten laid many many times.

Fantasia, Fantasia, Fantasia. My favorite Idol. I got a little emotional (in private to myself) when I saw she was wearing basically what she wore the night she won. I think they unfairly dinged Jordan for his show-y performance, for two reasons. One, dude is a youth pastor and is singing a somewhat inspirational song. He's...bound to feel it. Two, you paired him with the woman who advised the S4 contestants to "act ugly". Fantasia cuts up more than just about any other Idol winner. She was standing and singing because she's not competing. I think Jordan had potential, more than half the people they picked. He just had some things to work on.

This must have been the canon fodder group. La'Porsha and her giant hair are nice enough, and I thought her and Fantasia did good at tempering "Summertime" because that could've turned into a diva-thon if they had more time to play with, but she ain't winning. We need another heavyset female R&B singer for whom the struggle is real like we another WGWG. Jeneve in her Calamity Jane getup probably should've been sent back to the Rockies. Thomas and Mackenzie look like they should be playing geeks on a CW show, but they're not winning. Being fashionably rudderless and appealing to chicks who think your aw-shucks demeanor is cute is...kinda why AI is being canceled. And, if you're going to do that, less Mat Kearney and Matt Nathanson  and more, like, Jason Mraz.  I like Avalon, and I think Tori Kelly has made a path for cool chicks who aren't basic, but I think I'm gonna get tired of her "I'm Just Me" thing after a few weeks. She's got a disarmingly good voice, like you wouldn't expect the girl you see at the skate park to make like a glee club soloist when she gets the mic, so that's good. But is she a star? Eh. The only one I want to hear more of is Gianna. Nick's still working out the kinks in his voice, but even he's too good for that bullshit coronation song. And so was she.  It sounded like she was singing along to it, not actually singing it. But I share Harry's opinion that I'm still trying to figure her out. I can't tell if the goofy girl thing is a cover for a savvy, showbiz kid, or does she really not know how good she is?

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 3

I agree with Harry.  Say what you will about Idol, but it has found some seriously talented singers over the years.

Fantasia remains my favorite of all time.  Reuben is up there too.   I never cared for Scotty, Kaleb, or Lauren Alana but with some time away, and seeing them perform with the current crop, I totally get it. 

Kaleb is a really, really good singer.  He's right up their with Adam Lambert - although I love Adam's performance style more.  His and Reuben's duets were my favorite - and Fantasia's and LaPorsha's. Agreed that Scotty has developed into an extremely good looking and charming man!  Lauren Alana is gorgeous and the girl can sing.

The ones who went home were the right ones to go.  Some may be stronger singers than some who went through but they lack charisma on the stage.  I have a soft spot for Stefany an James VIII though and would like to have seen them "grow" with the competition.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 4

I imagine for some of the alums time away from Idol and being around people that could give them no reality show type help and actual time and experience to hone their craft has made them better. And it shows when singing with the newbies.

Christ I can't get over Scotty. He's handsome and that voice. Whew. Now I feel bad for drooling.

• Love 3
Stephany didn't go through but Calamity Jane did?   What are the judges smoking?

OK, I just want you guys to know I was not copying suzysite when I called Jeneve Calamity Jane. That is SOOOOOO creepy. Damn. I mean, that's kind of an obscure reference and...wow. You guys are awesome. Suzysite, you are a scholar and a gentleman (even if you're a chick, still...).

• Love 1

Wow Jeneve rooted  thru the costume rack backstage at "Annie Get Your Gun." How about ONE ironic Western piece at a time, not 20!

Poor Stephany, when is being stunning, HISPANIC, thin, gorgeous hair and a good voice not enough?

James VIII was a dollbaby without the beanie.  He had a cool vibe.

• Love 10

Well fuck me the only two I really cared about were James and Stephany.

I have never ever ever been a fan of Fantasia and her voice to me is what it would sound like if there were a bag of cats in a blender but damn she really does seem like a genuine sweetheart and not putting on airs.

Jenna shut up. You are from New York, not North Carolina.

• Love 2

Poor Stephany, when is being stunning, HISPANIC, thin, gorgeous hair and a good voice not enough.

When she's a threat to the real chick they want to win. I think that's why they left Sonika off the list, too.

Scotty was my favorite on his season -- and now puts on a terrific live show.  However,Jeneve just blew that duet...he could not salvage it, even singing as well as he did.  Both songs were mismatches for his partners...as were most of the songs tonight.  Yes,  the band was loud for almost all of the duets.

Lauren still oversings...nothing changed in that regard.

Ruben and Caleb had the most success with their partners overall.

Coincidental isn't it that almost all of the returnees had one partner who was eliminated, and one who wasnt.  Not.

Edited by sinycalone
  • Love 2

The obvious problem with the duets - they did not show case the contestants.  Most of the song choices were mis matches.  And a lot of the voices just didn't mesh well. 

I think some of the fault lay with the former Idols.  They aren't competing.  They have nothing to prove.  Therefore, they shouldn't have turned the duets into a battle.  One thing I've always loved about my favorite past Idol--Adam Lambert--is that he can blow everyone out of the water with his vocals, but if he's singing with someone who wants to stay in the water (to extend the metaphor), he still sings beautifully but he holds back and doesn't try to overpower the less powerful singer.  He keys his performance to theirs and doesn't try to force anything out of them that they can't give. 

I especially saw the problem with MacKenzie and Lauren's duet.  MacKenzie is not a belter.  Not everyone has to be.  His style is more low-key.  I think Lauren should have toned down her performance.  That song would still be beautiful and emotionally effective--maybe even more so.

That said, I really enjoyed seeing the former Idols back, especially Lauren and Scotty, who have matured from innocent young kids to a confident young woman and man, respectively. 

Edited by Sparkling Beth
  • Love 5

I really thought Lauren did tone down her performance with McKenzie, when they were singing together. When they sang individually she let it go. Now Caleb completely stole that song from James, who seemed perfectly fine with it. Wasn't nice, though.

Possible that Jeneve insisted on wearing one of her own outfits, she wore stuff like that all along. And then the faces she was making. Oh dear. Keith was right.

Melted a little bit with both Sonika and Gianna tonight. Sonika admitting she has only sung for some weddings and at school, what a leap she is making. And Gianna really seemed like a kid tonight. I'm pretty sure when JLo looks at her she sees her daughter "all growed up". She can't stop smiling at Gianna. Kind of sweet actually. 

• Love 1

Gianna looks a lot to me like the young Mariah Carey, except that she isn't self-conscious about one side of her face.  

I'm not that surprised to hear, though, that she went on a lot of auditions and got turned down for things. I think she's getting advanced in this because of the Brenda K. Starr connection, and I don't think that that is going to mean as much to the viewers at home.   

• Love 1

Duets: It was nice to see the former Idols. Only Reuben and Fantasia played nice. The rest were stage hogs. Except for Nick who was just... there.

Jeneve though... tonight she was like if Jon-Peter Lewis and Fred Schneider had a love child who sang country. It was kind of amazing.

Results: After tonight, I'm a little miffed Stephany got the axe over Sonika and Gianna. But I don't think it was a terribly outrageous semi-final gaffe.

• Love 2

Dammit, last night our local Fox channel kept freezing up and going black and now it's started again.

I wonder who chose the songs for them to sing.

I never liked Lauren Alaina, but she sounded really good.

Fradiani doesn't sing any better than he did last year.

Wow, Stephany sounded really good with Ruben.

Skyfall was great.  Both of them did a great job. Caleb, take your lip off of the microphone.

Jenna was not good.

Either Fantasia is really tall, or La'Porsha is really short. That.  Was incredible.

I didn't really care for Mackenzie's performance, and I've liked him along the way.

Avalon does nothing for me.

I never saw James with his hat off, so I didn't realize he had all of that hair.

I can't take Jeneve seriously as long as she looks like Howdy Doody.

That was the best I've heard Jordan Sasser.

Woah.  Not Stephany?  I'm shocked. She's the only one of the cuts that I'm not happy about.  I would swap her for Jeneve in a heartbeat.

• Love 2

I agree with Harry.  Say what you will about Idol, but it has found some seriously talented singers over the years.

All I could think is, "Yeah, but not while you were a judge there, Harry."

The only duet I cared for was Ruben and Avalon, surprisingly. Otherwise, the singers seemed mismatched (Caleb and Sonika...) or the old contestant blew the new one out of the water (like Fantasia with Jordan, Lauren with Mackenzie...which is saying something since I don't like Lauren, and Caleb with James). Not a fan of Caleb at all, but he did a decent job. Couldn't bring myself to even watch Scotty, he's still so awful. Too bad Thomas and Mackenzie weren't eliminated.

I'm more looking forward to next week's duets. Fantasia seems to be the favorite of several here; Jordin is mine. I also enjoyed Kellie Pickler, David Cook, and Haley Reinhart.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 2

I don't feel that these duets were intended to benefit the singers in the competition. It was like the beginning of goodbye to American Idol and just to feature previous singers.

The problem is that the previous singers looked bad being in these terrible song choices with the people in the competition.

I'm curious to see what song and partner Tristan gets next week.

I think all these contestants except Sonika and Giana maybe are just not going to go far.

Caleb literally got ZERO words in a solo chat with Sprinkles after the Sonika duet.  He is the ultimate AI crazy uncle they keep hidden in the basement.  He killed Skyfall, too.  He deserves so much better.  Poor James had no chance next to him for the Stones.

Thomas again with the quirky atonal song to hide his weak voice.  

What was done to the Carpenter's Superstar was criminal and a borderline capital offense.  Stephany's tone was great, but I'll be dogged if I could recognize the song she was singing.

Lord, is Gianna weak and ill-prepared for a career.

Jeneve got royally shafted by TPTB on that song choice.  That's the closest I've seen a jidge call out production.  Good on ya, Keith.  The irony of it all is that Jeneve was able put aside the absurdity and sell the hell out of it.  Typically, HCJ loves that.  On this ep?  Conveniently ignored.  I am NOT liking HCJ this year.  Not one bit.

At least two wannabes ripped their earpiece out.  More AI audio shenanigans?

Gianna and Thomas over Stephany is a straight farce.  Jordan is far, far more accomplished than Thomas.  I just may use an audience "save" vote for Stephany.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 1

Lauren Alaina was definitely not my bag on her season, either musically or in the personality she presented ("If I sing that song, they'll think I'm EEEEEEVUL!"), but I'll give her one thing: she's come off extremely well against Idols in her lane on either side age-wise. When she sang with Carrie Underwood in the finale of her season, the contrast was not flattering to Carrie. Here, it didn't work in reverse; she made Emily look not ready for prime time.  

• Love 1

The biggest disappointment was Stephany getting cut.  I would have kept her over Thomas or Geneve for sure, and maybe Gianna as well.  Stephany has a far better voice than any of those three.  I'm with Harry though in being a bit intrigued by Gianna.  Her youthful enthusiasm can be infectious and her voice isn't bad.  It´s just that she's so clearly not quite ready for this.

As for the duets, I thought Avalon, La'Porsha, Sonika & Stephany (in that order) did the best job at holding their own,   Some of the others were pretty awful, particularly the two who sang with Scotty.

For me, the overall big winner this week was Avalon.  She rose from the middle of the pack to up towards the top. 

From the beginning of this season the plan was obvious. It's "Idol, The Glee Chronicles." It's all about the 15 year old girls and the cute, quirky boys.

After singing without the hat the other night and actually coming across as a sweet, normal kid, Jeneve is back to being Annie Oakley. Doesn't anyone get how ridiculous she looks? Under all those western duds she could be 50.

The former winners were definitely there to strut their stuff, and not to feature this year's contestants. Kind of not cool. really. But maybe it was about giving Harry the chance to thank Idol for all that great talent. Way to pat yourself on the back, show. (Though in contrast to this year's leading contestants, the former winners can actually sing.)

Since the judges (or really the producers) are picking the Top 10, hasn't the entire season been a farce? There's never been a season where it was so clear who the chosen ones were, and who was fodder. They cast their top 10 during the auditions, or even before, in the case of Gianna, who's there on a pass because of her mother's connections. So none of the performances have mattered. No matter how bad Jeneve was tonight, or how badly she butchered "Ring of Fire," she was going through.

I'm sure Stephany knew she was never going further than Top 24. But at least she got some exposure on American TV, after going to the finals of Mexico's version of Idol.

I agree with an earlier poster that this was the first time I could stomach Thomas, because having to sing "Man in the Mirror" forced him out his tormented young artist shtick. But dude, when you're 17 and keep talking about breaking up with your girlfriend, it makes you sound SO young. Save it for Tigerbeat.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

No matter how many times I am shown this Caleb person I don't have recollection of him existing.  It seemed that the crowd was with me too because when Ryan announced him there was a delayed "Uh.... ok?"

Fantasia is my God.  The way I feel about Fantasia is how a lot of you seem to feel about Lambert.  I was just WEEPING tonight.  Anytime she did ANYTHING.  I still love this woman.  So much.

I didn't really agree with the judges because 1)  I thought La Porsha paled in comparison to Fantasia in a major way and yet 2) I didn't think Jordan did a bad job at all next to her at all.  Is anything wrong with me?  Please confirm.

I actually love Stephany as much as others here do.  But --- there's something about her.  She's not confident enough to be a star or something, not yet.  I can't put my finger on it.  Maybe her voice/singing is not unique enough to stand out.  Isn't this what happened with Pia?  Is that her name?  

But I also will fast forward through every Jeneve performance.

I'm having real trouble caring about the rest.  Aren't those 2 whispery hipster boys extremely alike?  It's like a weird cloning project.  

Hey I also like Ruben and hearing him sing was really like time travel.  All of a sudden I was transported back there.  As soon as he starts to sing I feel like I'm on a magic carpet.  It's really weird.   The room starts moving.

Also that "contestant" (? seriously questioning this) that is apparently named Jenna Renae???  I have NEVER seen her before.  It was like they let Scotty perform with his sister or something.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

Clearly, a major criterion for S15 is having an unusual moniker.

The eliminated dark-haired girl was 100% robbed.

The duets bit came way too early in the season. I thought Caleb, Ruben, and Fantasia were great, and that Scotty sounds the exact same no matter what the song; he really took that "lane" advice seriously!

CAN WE NOT HAVE ANY "TOP 10" SPOILERS HERE? THANKS.

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 2

I don't think it's entirely fair to say Gianna is skating past because of her mom bribing the judges. I do think she's there in part because of her mom and the story angle, but a story is a story is a story. And Gianna can sing...without a lot of the Krisallening that goes on.

I think the bigger problem is the dearth of other people who can just sing. I don't know why people think because someone can play guitar that they're a real musician. Hit or miss guitar strummer are a dime a dozen.

Jenna Renea was so annoying with her over-the-top cheering as the finalists were getting called. I was like "you know you're not going through, right?"

I don't get all the Avalon love. The judges seemed to prefer her duet over Stephany's. I thought ruben and stephany were superior to ruben and avalon. And I'm just gonna say it...i HATED avalon's verion of Love Yourself. To me, her voice on that song was almost like helium-induced.

Does this mean that 5 boys are guaranteed to make it next week in order to even out the numbers? They should just let the best singers through. I,personally, don't care if the boy/girl ratio is uneven.

• Love 1

I'm sure one of the primary goals of having past contestants on the show was to demonstrate how many talented people AI has discovered.  I don't think the former contestants, in most cases, were trying to outshine this year's participants...it's just that the Season 15's crop are not close to being ready as performers.  Some of the pairings made that painfully obvious.  

• Love 2

Also that "contestant" (? seriously questioning this) that is apparently named Jenna Renae???  I have NEVER seen her before.

Not just me, then. Every time she showed up it was like I was seeing her for the first time, and not in the good, "oh my gosh what a discovery!" kind of way. I remember a Project Runway season where a red-headed female contestant got the same reaction from viewers: "Who's that? Has she always been here?" On "reality" shows making even a polarizing impression is better than no impression at all.

Stephany was indeed robbed. She's a stunning young woman who can actually sing, and I think she has great potential. 

They should just let the best singers through. I,personally, don't care if the boy/girl ratio is uneven.

I've never understood their need to balance things. It's not a boys vs. girls team competition.

Edited by designing1

I'll confess that I've never liked Fantasia or Lauren Alaina and am only lukewarm on Ruben, so some of that colors my opinion of last night, but those duets ranged from mediocre to truly awful.  Some particular duets of note:

Stephany and Ruben sounded like they were singing completely different songs.

Scotty seems a lot more comfortable on stage now, and the duet with Jenna was waaaay better than the one with Jeneve.

I don't know what Summertime ever did to Idol, but it sure didn't deserve to have Fantasia and La'Porsha shit on it like that.  (Note: I hate unnecessary runs and ululations and boy did that duet have nothing but.)

Gianna sounded okay but really seemed like she was one of Nick's back-up singers.

Emily redeemed herself a bit from the solos, but I knew it wouldn't be enough because she wasn't one of the chosen ones.

I like Avalon a lot, but that duet sucked giant donkey balls.  Not her fault, the pairing was whack and just didn't work.

The same could be said for some of the other pairings, most notably Mackenzie and Lauren Alaina (WTF?!?!?!)

I don't like Fantasia, but Jordan was hella disrespectful during their duet, crossing in front of her repeatedly so that he could sing to the judges.

There were no real surprises when it came to the judges' selections to go through.  I'd have substituted Jenna for Jeneve, and chosen Emily instead of Gianna based on her Hollywood week performances, but they're both fodder anyway.

• Love 3

Caleb sounded great on Gimme Shelter and James got back to his true calling of being a guitarist in a band.

I agree 100%.  Caleb wasn't my favorite in his season, but he is a showman who really knows his stuff.  That was probably the best duet of the night, mainly because it wasn't really a duet.  It was James backing up Caleb.

• Love 2

I actually love Stephany as much as others here do.  But --- there's something about her.  She's not confident enough to be a star or something, not yet.  I can't put my finger on it.  Maybe her voice/singing is not unique enough to stand out.  Isn't this what happened with Pia?  Is that her name?

I didn't love Stephany as much as a lot of others, although I do think she has a good voice and some potential.  But there's just not a lot of 'there' there, for me.  Still, she deserved to go through more than Gianna or Jeneve or Thomas (who I do like more than most commenters here).

Jenna Renea was so annoying with her over-the-top cheering as the finalists were getting called. I was like "you know you're not going through, right?"

Oh, I think she was well aware that she wasn't going through, and was just trying to be happy for those who were.

I don't like Fantasia, but Jordan was hella disrespectful during their duet, crossing in front of her repeatedly so that he could sing to the judges.

Poor guy all he was trying to do was take the advice he was given to not go inside himself but connect with the audience.  He is doomed from all sides.

• Love 2

I don't get all the Avalon love. The judges seemed to prefer her duet over Stephany's. I thought ruben and stephany were superior to ruben and avalon. And I'm just gonna say it...i HATED avalon's verion of Love Yourself. To me, her voice on that song was almost like helium-induced.

I'm already sick of Harry telling me who he thinks it would be fun to hang out with.  

Top 40 hits would have done the new crop of contestants way more favours, but I guess this episode was basically just to re-promote old Idols of yore and to make it clear that most of the new contestants aren't star material anyway.

I noticed that when Fantasia duets, as soon as the other person stars singing she turns super serious and stares at the person intently and mouths some lyrics.  LOL I just love her.

Caleb never opens his eyes?  Did I imagine that?  Then I thought well maybe my queen Fantasia doesn't when she's feeling it either.  Then there's Scotty who just looks out to the frontier or whatever and refuses to have any connection to anything.  I don't blame anyone for their styles, it's just interesting.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

With that incredibly sad choice of moving the Honkin' Hillbilly through while getting rid of five people that clearly sang much better shows why this program is in its last year.

Anybody else wonder if Scotty McCreery was a hostage? His attention sure wandered ...

• Love 3

I am sooooooo in the minority apparantly. I really enjoy Jeneve and her voice us very nice I like the unusual take on her performances. I even had to watch her 'Angel' performance twice, which I never do. I don't think she can win but I was thrilled they put her through. I want to see more from her.

• Love 3

Either Fantasia is really tall, or La'Porsha is really short. That.  Was incredible.

That's what I was thinking! WTF? LaPorscha's head came up to Fantasia's waist.

Next week's crop of returning contestants looks 100% more interesting.

• Love 3