Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Teddy Kennedy did.

I meant currently, heading into the future.  Kennedy died nine years ago.  It just shows that there is not a current culture of leaders that have widespread following.  Let's see how Mitt Romney does when he gets elected! 

Edited by freddi
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, millennium said:

Did Scarborough lose a bet to Tom Brokaw?   Again with the Greatest Generation-esque nostalgia trip.   You'd never know there was a mass shooting yesterday.

Joe just likes to show his support of the accused sexual harassers. 

They are now discussing what Mika saw in John McCain and how she saw the same qualities she saw in her father.   Joe told us at length what Mika’s view on this was.  She didn’t feel it was worth telling us herself? 

• Love 4

Noah Rothman's back.  What's that German word for "a face in need of a punch"?

I have a visceral reaction to him.  He's like the snotty kid in class who always had his hand up and would lecture the teacher.

• Love 9

Updated Tues. guest List: Mike Barnicle, Noah Rothman, Heidi Przybyla, David Ignatius, Eugene Robinson, Katty Kay, Steve Kornacki, Karen Tumulty, Josh Barro, Josh Gerstein, Kasie Hunt, Sen. Jeff Flake, Anand Giridharadas, Ruth Marcus

Here goes though 15 mins into show.   For a Network that is getting record ratings, they are being v sloppy around MJ. 

It is sophorific this morning.  No female voices yet but Katty Kay just cued in.  

Edited by Woodman
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Woodman said:

They are now discussing what Mika saw in John McCain and how she saw the same qualities she saw in her father.   Joe told us at length what Mika’s view on this was.  She didn’t feel it was worth telling us herself? 

That was so strange on so many levels. 

If Mika isn’t even going to show up anymore I wish they’d drop the facade that she’s a “liberal Democrat.” At best, she’s deeply centrist.

Edited by XOQueens
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

That was so strange on so many levels. 

If Mika isn’t even going to show up anymore I wish they’d drop the facade that she’s a “liberal Democrat.” At best, she’s deeply centrist.

Scarborough probably entertains some kind of reverse Mary Matalin/James Carville fantasy image of themselves.  "He's a roguish Republican; she's a leggy Liberal ... Together they're insufferable inseparable!"

• Love 7

I'm watching three guys on the set ramble on about populism.  Barnicle is in the middle.  It looks like a public access channel, where anyone can wander in to sit in front of the camera and spout off.  

Oh, Joe just appeared in an inset to announce a commercial.  So it's not public access.  

But what is this?  

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, stormy said:

This morning reminding us trump has the emotional equivalency of a two year old.

Did they show the clip of Jonathan Karl asking him over and over about McCain, and him sitting there with his arms crossed. 

Why was Melania in the Oval? Did she get lost? 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Did they show the clip of Jonathan Karl asking him over and over about McCain, and him sitting there with his arms crossed. 

Why was Melania in the Oval? Did she get lost? 

She was hoping to get lost in the scrum of media people and make her escape.

• Love 3

Updated Weds. guest list: Mike Barnicle, Sam Stein, Elise Jordan, Steve Kornacki, Michael Steele, Heidi Przybyla, Gabe Gutierrez, Jeremy Peters, Andrew Gillum, Carol Leonnig, Sen. Chris Murphy, Kasie Hunt, Ali Vitali, Hugo Gordon, Katy Tur and more

Barnicle is taking on presenter duties.  He was in for Nicolle Wallace yesterday.   It may be a normal thing but I hadn’t seen it before and he  looked uncomfortable and awkward. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

According to Joe, Meeks is back tomorrow and Willie returns on Friday.  The betting window is now open as to whether Scarborough shows up for the rest of the week.

I heard it as Mika does Thursday and Willie does Friday but maybe I’m now used to the single presenter voice.  This summer has established a different dynamic to the show. 

Edited by Woodman
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Barnicle is taking on presenter duties.  He was in for Nicolle Wallace yesterday.   It may be a normal thing but I hadn’t seen it before and he  looked uncomfortable and awkward. 

Barnicle has been on as a panelist before but I was stunned to see him as moderator.  I don't know who handled the vacation calendar for MSNBC this summer but they really overbooked the host's vacations.  Poor Ayman and Velshi are working all kinds of crazy hours amongst others.

• Love 2

I wish Scarborough would stop reveling in his new favorite word, "kingmaker."   Try "cult leader."

Per Scarborough's comments basically consigning the entire Democratic party to far left progressives: I have a sick feeling Bernie Ego-Trip Sanders is going to fuck up this next election too. 

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, millennium said:

I wish Scarborough would stop reveling in his new favorite word, "kingmaker."   Try "cult leader."

You'll have to forgive him as he's been up all night fielding phone calls from people seeking his knowledge/input.

Or he has an Ambien hangover.  This show would have more life to it if they had a bunch of mannequins as guests.

• Love 2

I just tuned back in for Joe's soliloquy about evangelicals.  I see he is assuming the mantle of Bible Thumper Joe now.  Fits snugly with his twice divorced and made a spectacle of himself breaking up a third marriage image.

Hypocrite.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Woodman said:

Updated Weds. guest list: Mike Barnicle, Sam Stein, Elise Jordan, Steve Kornacki, Michael Steele, Heidi Przybyla, Gabe Gutierrez, Jeremy Peters, Andrew Gillum, Carol Leonnig, Sen. Chris Murphy, Kasie Hunt, Ali Vitali, Hugo Gordon, Katy Tur and more

Agree.  Hosting a show is not in Barnicle's wheel-house, but then, what is?  They have so many people to choose from; why him?  Probably all the regular fill-ins said "enough is enough.  We're exhausted".  There are many up-and-comers out in the field; maybe they could do an 'audition' of sorts filling in here and there.  ------  And back to MJ: I seriously cannot believe Mika is still out.  If she hadn't shown up for 5 minutes last week I'd swear she was having a full facelift or something.  Gotta spruce up for the nuptials.

Edited by Ladyrain

I'm waiting to see whether or not things get back to "normal" on the set after Labor Day.  Who knows - maybe they all have contracts that give them a ton of vacation days.  In the country at large after Labor Day there is a general feeling of "summer's over so it's back to work".  If it's still weird then I have no idea.

One or both of them will probably take a lonnnnng Labor Day weekend;  then they'll be gone all of November and December - and half of January - for the holidays.  Nice work if you can get it.  And get paid so handsomely for not doing your job.

52 minutes ago, captain1 said:

I'm waiting to see whether or not things get back to "normal" on the set after Labor Day.

47 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

One or both of them will probably take a lonnnnng Labor Day weekend;

I’ve decided, if Joe isn’t back on set by Labor Day, he is the MSNBC Farter. Nothing will convince me otherwise. ?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Woodman said:

It may be a normal thing but I hadn’t seen it before and he  looked uncomfortable and awkward. 

There was nothing normal about it.  He pronounces "russia" as "rusher."  When he's a host, you can't help but notice the volume of words he mispronounces.  He should never, ever, be a host.  Not even at dinner in his home.

The merry band this morning can't even gin up the energy to be put off by Trump attacking: China, Hillary's emails, the FBI, Google, and predicting violence if the GOP doesn't win.  We've been browbeaten by an endless barrage of stupid and are now inured to it. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, millennium said:

I have a sick feeling Bernie Ego-Trip Sanders is going to fuck up this next election too. 

I think enough of the party is moving to the left when it comes to the Medicare for All issue. People are fed up with the limitations of their policies whether under an employer or the ACA, and know that the status quo isn't going to hold up much longer. If someone can take up that mantle other than Sanders, O'Rourke if he's elected is a good candidate.

Joe & Michael Steele are shitting their pants seeing the GOP implode and the younger progressive Democrats get stronger.

And Joe calling Trevor Noah "Noah Trevor". and then struggling to hide his anger when the entire panel was laughing at him. 

2 hours ago, Landsnark said:

He pronounces "russia" as "rusher."

That's his Boston accent. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

And Joe calling Trevor Noah "Noah Trevor". and then struggling to hide his anger when the entire panel was laughing at him. 

Oh god - this was a thing??  I missed it!  Now I'm going to have to wade through the DVR to see it.  Cruel and unusual punishment.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, millennium said:

I have a sick feeling Bernie Ego-Trip Sanders is going to fuck up this next election too. 

Bernie Sanders didn't "fuck up" the election because he didn't win the nomination.  Hillary did, so any fucking up was on her. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:

Well he can only attack one Clinton at a time and apparently today he is Team Hillary:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/scarborough-no-presidential-candidate-has-been-treated-as-badly-as-hillary-two-years-after-election/

OMG. Is he kidding? IS HE KIDDING?

How many times has he blathered on about how she was the "worst presidential candidate in the history of presidential candidates"? Didn't I literally just post my disdain for this tendency, like, a week ago?

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Landsnark said:

The merry band this morning can't even gin up the energy to be put off by Trump attacking: China, Hillary's emails, the FBI, Google, and predicting violence if the GOP doesn't win.  We've been browbeaten by an endless barrage of stupid and are now inured to it. 

You nailed it.   That's the feeling I've had from this show these last few mornings.   Today, though I forget what the exact topic was, Michael Steele was obnoxiously laughing at something that, to me, wasn't funny and should have provoked a more serious and fervent response.   I thought, This is all they can do now is laugh.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, millennium said:

You nailed it.   That's the feeling I've had from this show these last few mornings.   Today, though I forget what the exact topic was, Michael Steele was obnoxiously laughing at something that, to me, wasn't funny and should have provoked a more serious and fervent response.   I thought, This is all they can do now is laugh.

None of the people sitting around a given table have a clue as to what has been happening to the middle class.  They mean well (as most people that have a stable income/health insurance do) but they literally do not understand the job situations for many people as we are basking in the lowest unemployment figures for many years (for those of us in pockets of folks that still struggle to find meaningful employment let alone benefits I find this chuckling to be particularly annoying).  HGTV is pretty much my go to now.

And please know I love me some Michael Steele but clearly 95% of the folks clustered around a given table on any network could never understand the middle America they wring their hands over now.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Eliot said:
3 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Well he can only attack one Clinton at a time and apparently today he is Team Hillary:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/scarborough-no-presidential-candidate-has-been-treated-as-badly-as-hillary-two-years-after-election/

OMG. Is he kidding? IS HE KIDDING?

How many times has he blathered on about how she was the "worst presidential candidate in the history of presidential candidates"? Didn't I literally just post my disdain for this tendency, like, a week ago?

But Mika hates Hillary so where is this coming from?  Is he asserting his manhood by saying he likes Hillary after she dissed Mika by not going all in with Know Your Value on her book tour. 

You know that petty little bitch wanted to have the first woman to be a nominee for POTUS, a former SoS, US Senator and First Lady give her credibility on her bullshit "White Lady Problems" Traveling Circus. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

#metoo  coming for Joe. 

Can you imagine the train wreck that will ensue if #metoo comes for Joe and it comes from another woman on the network other than Mika when they had already started their affair? The personal and professional fustercluck would be huge.

It would probably look a lot like now, actually.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Can you imagine the train wreck that will ensue if #metoo comes for Joe and it comes from another woman on the network other than Mika when they had already started their affair? The personal and professional fustercluck would be huge.

It would probably look a lot like now, actually.

Something has to be going on that they don't appear together. This has been going on all month. I saw speculation that it was getting Carlie ready for college. It doesn't take a month to pack a few bags, get the furniture loaded in a UHaul, and drive her there. Plus she's a junior so she probably lives off campus and has been there all summer. 

• Love 1

I saw speculation that it was getting Carlie ready for college.

I thought about this when this nonsense started but then remembered the Instagram pictures of those two in Florida invading that poor candidates space with their shopping bags so I have run out of "family" excuses as to why those two are not firmly planted in their anchor chairs.

Something has to be going on that they don't appear together. This has been going on all month. I saw speculation that it was getting Carlie ready for college. It doesn't take a month to pack a few bags, get the furniture loaded in a UHaul, and drive her there. Plus she's a junior so she probably lives off campus and has been there all summer. 

She in particular doesn’t seem to have much use, or patience, for her mother, so I doubt she’d be down for Mika hitching herself to her all of August. Lol. 

I wonder how her girls feel about their mother being absent during their childhoods (she’s admitted it herself, so that’s not just us snarking) so she could carry on an affair on national television and in book signing venues across the country, only to hardly bother with work the moment they are out of the house and on their own. I’m petty, I’d be salty and have absolutely zero use for her if I was in those shoes.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Barnicle has been on as a panelist before but I was stunned to see him as moderator.  I don't know who handled the vacation calendar for MSNBC this summer but they really overbooked the host's vacations.  Poor Ayman and Velshi are working all kinds of crazy hours amongst others.

I think I have seen Barnicle hosting at least once before, but agree that his guest slot on Nicolle's show made me wince (stopped watching after two minutes).  I think he is fine on Morning Joe as a balance to the other panelists.  But as a host, he is like an accountant who has been pulled out of the back room and asked to run the cash register in a store -- related jobs, but competent in one, and bumbling in the other. 

Do the producers and network think viewers don't notice how dramatically different the show has become?   All those screens and only one host instead of mixing it up on the set.  And this has not changed things in a good way.  

18 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Agree.  Hosting a show is not in Barnicle's wheel-house, but then, what is?  They have so many people to choose from; why him?  Probably all the regular fill-ins said "enough is enough.  We're exhausted".  There are many up-and-comers out in the field; maybe they could do an 'audition' of sorts filling in here and there.  ------  And back to MJ: I seriously cannot believe Mika is still out.  If she hadn't shown up for 5 minutes last week I'd swear she was having a full facelift or something.  Gotta spruce up for the nuptials.

• Love 1

Updated Thurs. guest list: Eddie Glaude Jr., Mike Barnicle, Rick Tyler, Elise Jordan, David Ignatius, Yamiche Alcindor, Jon Meacham, Jim VandeHei, Jonathan Turley, Jeffrey Goldberg, Rep. Carlos Curbelo, Robert Costa, Mayor Bill de Blasio, David Hogg, Cynthia Nixon and more

It’s  Mika but I missed the intro so I don’t know if Willie is there.  I assume Joe is off because we’ve had a few uninterrupted minutes of Mika.  

The energy levels have upped substantially today.  

Edited by Woodman

I am so disgusted and ashamed by the "monkey this up" incident Mika has been discussing/sensationalizing for the past half hour.   I know things are going to hell fast, but this?  Right out in the open?   Where is the outrage?  Tweeting is not outrage.  It's lazy and ineffective, Outrage used to mean travesties like this would be challenged by throngs of protesters in the street.   I haven't seen anybody in a highly visible position -- not an elected official, not a media personality, not a celebrity -- make a powerful angry statement flatly condemning this kind of shit or calling it what it really is -- hate speech.

• Love 3