Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Updated Thurs. guest list: Eddie Glaude Jr., Mike Barnicle, Rick Tyler, Elise Jordan, David Ignatius, Yamiche Alcindor, Jon Meacham, Jim VandeHei, Jonathan Turley, Jeffrey Goldberg, Rep. Carlos Curbelo, Robert Costa, Mayor Bill de Blasio, David Hogg, Cynthia Nixon and more

It’s  Mika but I missed the intro so I don’t know if Willie is there.  I assume Joe is off because we’ve had a few uninterrupted minutes of Mika.  

The energy levels have upped substantially today.  

Hee, Mika kicked off the show with a clip of her boyfriend from yesterday (see, we are still in love) and also mentioned that Willie will be in tomorrow (I would imagine by himself and his other cellmates du jour).

I agree, the show is just tons better when Meeks is the head talking box.  I don't know what's going to happen after Labor Day but it will be a jolt to the early morning eyeballs if those two are back in the studio.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Mika just blamed the Democrats for Trump because Hillary was such a weak candidate.

Mika's been tagged in in the "We Hate Hillary" wrestling arena as Joe was practically sobbing over how bad she has been treated these past couple of years yesterday.  They are so gross.

This was awkward. Mika made some snide remarks about “Elise Jordan’s political party” and her being a Republican, then she sort of sneer-smiled at her. And then Elise Jordan said she’s an Independent now and won’t stand by and be a part of something with all these men being sexual harassers. And then they switch to Mika in her DC hide out glaring at Elise.

So. Did I miss something? It’s possible. Why does Mika seem to hate Elise today? And really, Elise, it took all these years and then sexual harassment to see what the Republican Party became?

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

This was awkward. Mika made some snide remarks about “Elise Jordan’s political party” and her being a Republican, then she sort of sneer-smiled at her. And then Elise Jordan said she’s an Independent now and won’t stand by and be a part of something with all these men being sexual harassers. And then they switch to Mika in her DC hide out glaring at Elise.

So. Did I miss something? It’s possible. Why does Mika seem to hate Elise today? And really, Elise, it took all these years and then sexual harassment to see what the Republican Party became?

The show has taken a rather dark turn hasn't it?  Maybe she's just jealous of Elise's blouse since she is wearing her anchor woman costume today.

Yikes, where did DeSantis get his wife?  From Barbie's-R-Us?

Edited by Chloesmom
spelling

Apparently the two 'stars' of this show are tag-teaming each other now.  They don't show up together, which maybe isn't so bad after all (aside from both of them getting full-time $$$$ for part-time work) since Meeks does so much better on her own.  Do we think any of this will change after Labor Day, or is this the new normal?

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Wasn't it brave of Meek-a to verbally confront Elise from an undisclosed location, though?  I wonder if she would have been quite so bold if she'd been sitting right beside her?  Maybe Squinty was off-camera egging her on. 

She can squawk all she wants about women supporting each other, women knowing their value, blah blah blah; what I see is a 50 year old (she is, right?) female being very prickly to younger, prettier, smarter, more articulate females.  Especially when Joe isn't there squelching what little self-esteem she seems to have.

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, XOQueens said:

This was awkward. Mika made some snide remarks about “Elise Jordan’s political party” and her being a Republican, then she sort of sneer-smiled at her. And then Elise Jordan said she’s an Independent now and won’t stand by and be a part of something with all these men being sexual harassers.

That was awkward.  And Mika's replies were smug, sarcastic syllables, "Oh?  Mhhm. Yeh.  Right.  Ok."  I thought in the moment that if I was Elise, I would have playfully said, "Well, dear, if you were ever here on the set and talked to me in person, you'd already know what I think of the GOP."  But whatever.  Mika looked petty and snide and incapable of joshing around.

Every time a guest wonk provides a few minutes of thoughtful expression, and Mika transitions to another guest by NOT adding her opinions on the matter, and instead says the other guests name, "Eugene?" I cringe.  Imagine Stephanie Ruhl or Ari or Matthews or Rachel or even Kasie on her show NOT offering their opinion or controlling the shape of the topic as they transition from one guest to the other? 
Mika is just in the wrong job.  She's miserable, too.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Landsnark said:

"Well, dear, if you were ever here on the set and talked to me in person, you'd already know what I think of the GOP."

THIS ^^^^^

I am truly surprised someone hasn't snotted off on them about their behavior/attendance/how hard it is to have a conversation when everyone is a disenfranchised head.

• Love 1

I have a new theory this morning - I know I was on the "they're still together and all is well" train but maybe not.  To me, this morning it looked like at least three, maybe four, of the disembodied heads might have been on the set of Morning Joe, judging from the backdrops.   My new theory is that if they are shown together at the table, the cameras have to pan back, and we would notice the absence of a ring on a certain finger?

I like Elise and I'm glad she's divorced herself from the GOP. For now. But I still don't like that she isn't held accountable for working with Rand Paul.

I only saw the first hour today and when Joe's running the show (into the ground) I'm usually done after 20 minutes. I'm on team Mika.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, captain1 said:

I have a new theory this morning - I know I was on the "they're still together and all is well" train but maybe not.  To me, this morning it looked like at least three, maybe four, of the disembodied heads might have been on the set of Morning Joe, judging from the backdrops.   My new theory is that if they are shown together at the table, the cameras have to pan back, and we would notice the absence of a ring on a certain finger?

I believe the show functions as designed on a daily basis but they have taken great pains to not show that either of the hosts are in physical attendance.  I think this does a great disservice to those that are contributors to the show (Barnicle being the exception to that statement).  As for her ring, it is always in evidence in her usually poorly thought out Instagram posts.  I don't know what's going on with either them or the ultimate fate of the show but I do believe we will find out shortly.

Edited by Chloesmom
3 hours ago, millennium said:

I am so disgusted and ashamed by the "monkey this up" incident Mika has been discussing/sensationalizing for the past half hour.   I know things are going to hell fast, but this?  Right out in the open?   Where is the outrage?  Tweeting is not outrage.  It's lazy and ineffective, Outrage used to mean travesties like this would be challenged by throngs of protesters in the street.   I haven't seen anybody in a highly visible position -- not an elected official, not a media personality, not a celebrity -- make a powerful angry statement flatly condemning this kind of shit or calling it what it really is -- hate speech.

I truly do wonder if this is just the older GOP thinking this is funny (wink wink) or if they are hoping that younger people that haven't been exposed to this crap won't catch it.  I literally stopped dead when I heard him effortlessly say this.  Awful.  As for the GOP response, I wouldn't bother setting my sundial on that.

• Love 2

The Dems are so stupid.  The guy needs to take the initiative and call the other guy the monkey because he wants to continue the same policies that produce red tide and gun violence and crime and literally WHATEVER is wrong in the state.  He wants the same.  Call him a monkey with monkey policies.  He wants you to have red tide and loves the policies that promote that.  Jesus christ, you delicate flower, HIT BACK.
Tell him what monkey policies really are. 
If precious, fainting Mika is on your side, you're on the wrong side.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, captain1 said:

Mika wore her wedding ring for almost an entire year after being divorced, didn’t she? I believe Joe did the same when he got divorced. I don’t think a ring proves anything one way or another with them. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, captain1 said:

I think they do the "talking head" thing even when everyone else is on set to try to disguise the fact that the so-called "hosts" are the only ones not there!

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

The Dems are so stupid.  The guy needs to take the initiative and call the other guy the monkey because he wants to continue the same policies that produce red tide and gun violence and crime and literally WHATEVER is wrong in the state.  He wants the same.  Call him a monkey with monkey policies.  He wants you to have red tide and loves the policies that promote that.  Jesus christ, you delicate flower, HIT BACK.
Tell him what monkey policies really are. 
If precious, fainting Mika is on your side, you're on the wrong side.

NO ONE is fighting back.   Anywhere.   You would never know there's an election in ten weeks.   Is there a single angry Democrat out there?   Jonathan Turley kept presuming this morning that the Democrats will take the House in November.   I have NO idea what he and everyone is basing this presumption on because I don't see it.    In fact if I had money to bet, as of now I would put it all on the Trump cult.    On a related note I wish Turley and all the other experts would cut the shit when it comes to such prognostications because all it will succeed in doing is make Democratic voters complacent thinking, "It's gonna be a blue wave, so it really doesn't matter if I don't vote."

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, millennium said:

NO ONE is fighting back.   Anywhere.   You would never know there's an election in ten weeks.   Is there a single angry Democrat out there?   Jonathan Turley kept presuming this morning that the Democrats will take the House in November.   I have NO idea what he and everyone is basing this presumption on because I don't see it.    In fact if I had money to bet, as of now I would put it all on the Trump cult.    On a related note I wish Turley and all the other experts would cut the shit when it comes to such prognostications because all it will succeed in doing is make Democratic voters complacent thinking, "It's gonna be a blue wave, so it really doesn't matter if I don't vote."

Millennium, I hear you but I also think many, many people are fighting back based on the election results for the past year or more.  The talking heads at the table who have well paying jobs and healthcare have no clue as they are too busy wringing their hands over some random poll but those of us that have been struggling for more years than I care to remember, they are fighting back and voting.  I am happy to see candidates that are energetic and focused on their constituents needs.  The state I live in is a mess (Illinois) as we are having the battle of the billionaires but I do hold out hope for other states that are marching toward a better tomorrow.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, XOQueens said:

Mika wore her wedding ring for almost an entire year after being divorced, didn’t she? I believe Joe did the same when he got divorced. I don’t think a ring proves anything one way or another with them. 

Yes, both Mika and Joe wore their wedding rings after getting divorced, until their divorces became public. In both cases it was more than 6 months.

Mika is in Maine, and I believe Joe is too. They were definitely together last weekend, because they were watching Joe’s football show together. 

I’m in the camp that they are still together, and the reason for the tag team MJ appearances is so that they can both have their share of days off on their extended vacation(s).

i do think it is weird that they are not married yet, though. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, cased said:

reason for the tag team MJ appearances is so that they can both have their share of days off on their extended vacation(s).

Mika has missed more than 50 days of work in these first seven months of 2018. That’s not vacation time. That’s part time work.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Mika has missed more than 50 days of work in these first seven months of 2018. That’s not vacation time. That’s part time work.

Agreed. I was thinking today, between Mika’s days off, and Joe’s bunker appearances, there can’t have been many weeks when they were both in the studio for an entire week. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Millennium, I hear you but I also think many, many people are fighting back based on the election results for the past year or more.  The talking heads at the table who have well paying jobs and healthcare have no clue as they are too busy wringing their hands over some random poll but those of us that have been struggling for more years than I care to remember, they are fighting back and voting.  I am happy to see candidates that are energetic and focused on their constituents needs.  The state I live in is a mess (Illinois) as we are having the battle of the billionaires but I do hold out hope for other states that are marching toward a better tomorrow.

Media coverage, or the lack thereof, may play a large role in my complaint.  News outlets are following the CNN/Fox examples and not featuring stories that don't star Trump.

I get Fox's motivation, but perhaps CNN's (and to some extent MSNBC) motivation is more hypocritical.    It would not be in CNN's interest to assist in the ouster of Trump and maybe that's why the network is giving only the barest  coverage to candidates who want to facilitate that.   If Trump vanished off the face of the earth tomorrow and politics went back to being boring again, CNN's profits would plummet.   As long as Trump remains in office and CNN can cater to those who feel aggrieved by him, Wolf Blitzer and the rest will be in clover.   For all CNN, MSNBC's protest about being an "enemy of the people," they NEED Trump.  Ironically, maybe these media outlets are indeed enemies of the people, because they are giving Trump exactly what he wants -- relentless, undivided attention -- to the detriment of us all.

• Love 5

Updated Fri. guest list: Jonathan Lemire, Susan Del Percio, Kasie Hunt, Eugene Robinson, Mike Allen, Matt Miller, Philip Rucker, Joyce Vance, Jennifer Jacobs, Ben Smith, Rep. Joaquin Castro, David A. Kaplan, Walter Isaacson, Rev. Al Sharpton, Lynn Vincent, Sara Vladic and more

It’s Mika marshalling the guests, and Willie. 

Edited by Woodman
  • Love 1

Mika started the Friday show by saying she tried to help Joe relax. I guess mentioning Joe at the start, today and yesterday (with the video clip) is supposed to make us think all is well? 

Later in the show , Eugene Robinson:  "You wouldn't expect to hear this kind of talk from the most obscure third-rate banana republic."  - when our president said "only I can be trusted." 

• Love 2

I haven’t paid a lot of attention this week but there was a weird end to the show.  Mika was interviewing Al Sharpton about Aretha Franklin’s funeral and said ‘that’s a good way to end the show’. There was still 20 mins to go. A few minutes later I noticed Joe’s voice interviewing the author of ‘Indianapolis’ presumably in a taped segment.   At the end of the show Mika was back asking for final thoughts.  There was Willie, Susan Del Percio and Jonathan Lemire.  Mika then read a piece that sounded authored about John McCain.   

A couple of other observations- at one stage Mika seemed to be trying to stifle giggles anf I wondered if Joe was distracting her (let’s not go there).  The 2nd was a comment directed at Trump ‘because we know you are watching’.    It may be my Britness but I find it cringeworthy that J and M are still so needy for Trump attention.  

Edited by Woodman
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, stormy said:

BTW how the hell long have these two been engaged? I find that in itself weird.

Right? It's not like they're recent grads saving up for a house. I suspect the "engagement" happened, because they could no longer conceal that they're a couple, but that they had no firm plans to marry when it happened.

On 8/28/2018 at 6:22 AM, spiderpig said:

Noah Rothman's back.  What's that German word for "a face in need of a punch"?

I have a visceral reaction to him.  He's like the snotty kid in class who always had his hand up and would lecture the teacher.

That word is backpfeifengesicht and is a gift to humanity.

This show is so bad now, worse than ever. I tuned in a few times this week (not for the whole thing) and can't figure out why. I'd just like that time back. 

• Love 2
On 8/31/2018 at 12:21 AM, millennium said:

Media coverage, or the lack thereof, may play a large role in my complaint.  News outlets are following the CNN/Fox examples and not featuring stories that don't star Trump.

I get Fox's motivation, but perhaps CNN's (and to some extent MSNBC) motivation is more hypocritical.    It would not be in CNN's interest to assist in the ouster of Trump and maybe that's why the network is giving only the barest  coverage to candidates who want to facilitate that.   If Trump vanished off the face of the earth tomorrow and politics went back to being boring again, CNN's profits would plummet.   As long as Trump remains in office and CNN can cater to those who feel aggrieved by him, Wolf Blitzer and the rest will be in clover.   For all CNN, MSNBC's protest about being an "enemy of the people," they NEED Trump.  Ironically, maybe these media outlets are indeed enemies of the people, because they are giving Trump exactly what he wants -- relentless, undivided attention -- to the detriment of us all.

I have believed that since June 2015. It's been a circus since he came down the elevator at his tower.

On 8/24/2018 at 9:41 AM, Eliot said:

And that right there is why I love Heilemann.

That's hilarious. I have travelling on business & the hotel does not have msnbc. I am out of the loop.

On 8/30/2018 at 10:32 AM, stormy said:

? I moved to FL earlier this year from my home town Minneapolis.

Politics is dirty here. Even with Jesse Ventura and Michelle Bachmann thrown into the political pot.

I am worried about the red tide in Sarasota. Did they discuss red tide on Morning Joe?

On 8/31/2018 at 10:28 PM, 17wheatthins said:

The off-topic conversations have become too frequent, despite some latitude we give you for being a generally responsive group. Mod notes have not been heeded, so this is your formal notice that we'll be issuing warning points and, if/where necessary, time outs if they continue.

So there's no confusion:

* Political talk is limited SOLELY to what is discussed on the show.

* Personal politics are never allowed.

* Anything not mentioned on the show belongs in the Small Talk thread.

* Personal politics are never allowed in the Small Talk thread.

If you have any questions, please PM one or both of the forum mods: @17wheatthins or @dubbel zout

Are you the new moderators? Welcome to the board!. I used to do daily recaps of the show. I will be back later this fall.

• Love 3

I assume that they have both been using all their vacation time because they will likely be working a lot from Labor Day right up to the mid-terms.  Maybe some of it may be issues with Mika's mother too.  They haven't broken up.

I wish they would all be back in the studio,  I hate the way they just go from one random head to another.  

I feel like Elise is just getting a lot of the treatment that Nicole Wallace used to get.  Kasey Hunt is maybe one of the few younger women that Mika hasn't turned on.  She seems to love her.

• Love 2

Hmmmm, what to think . . . is a replay of Hardball better than MJ on this Labor Day weekend?  The answer is yes!  I don't catch Hardball much but they picked a great episode to rerun in place of the MJ Brady Bunch.

Happy Labor Day my friends, hope you all enjoyed the weekend!

• Love 1

Hee, second hour is a replay (duly noted for those of us that have played this game for a while now) from May 2 that has all three hosts:  Joe, Mika and Willie.  It does beg the question, did they have to dig back that far into their archives to capture this moment?

• Love 1

Tues. guest list: Eugene Robinson, Sam Stein, Steve Rattner, Kasie Hunt, David Ignatius, Mark Leibovich, Steve Schmidt, Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, Vaughn Hillyard, Jacob Soboroff, Catie Beck, Amb. Wendy Sherman, Morgan Radford, Neal Katyal, Steve Patterson, Gadi Schwartz and more

Mika, Joe and Willie

They are talking about Mika’s pig.

The way the conversation is going, I’m guessing they are all in separate studios.  There is a different conversational tone - it’s more of addressing each other than a discussion. 

Now talking baseball.  

• Love 1

The first several minutes of this show and we're talking baseball and Mika's pig.

I'm thinking for God's sakes these people would be like Nero.  Fiddling while Rome is burning.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 4

The bunker arrangement is just weird. When was the last time they were both in the studio?

With so much major news and fuck-uppery happening every day, I really need my pundits fully engaged and present.

Do better, show.

wait, what? They’re going on the road together in a couple of weeks? Will there be a screen between them, like in the Dating Gane, so they don’t have to interact in person?

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 5