Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Fri. guest list: Kasie Hunt, Donny Deutsch, Rick Tyler, Susan Del Percio, Adm. James Stavridis, Eugene Robinson, Betsy Woodruff, Mike Allen, Peter Baker, Chuck Rosenberg, Hans Nichols, Mariana Atencio, Sen. Tammy Baldwin, Ari Melber, Dominic Chu, Toluse Olorunnipa and more

It’s Kasie so guessing there is no Mika.  The open question is Joe or Willie.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Woodman said:

It’s Kasie so guessing there is no Mika.  The open question is Joe or Willie.  

Maybe they’ll be lucky enough to book Mika for an appearance when her book gets re-released. 

• Love 5

I don't get to see the show much because of the time difference on the west coast, but I can't even remember the last time I saw Mika.  If it were not for this thread, I'd think she had left the show. And I rarely see Joe.  Kasie looks great. 

Oh, just heard the lightning/thunder for Kasie's intro!

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

Kasie must be subconciously going for Joe's hosting seat, because her hair is huge. Its looks like it took a can a mouse and 2 rat tail combs to achieve it.  And she wears the most dull, blah tops.  At least slap a Unitarian scarf (tm oakville) on that boringness!

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, millennium said:

Aretha Franklin tribute.   Boring.

Aretha Franklin wasn't part of "the greatest generation", her rise to fame was during the 60s, she was only 76 when she died. Her influence on female singers, soul, gospel, r& b is HUGE.  Maybe the tribute wasn't great, but there is no denying Aretha's place in the annals of popular music. 

Look up a clip of Divas Live.  She shuts down Celine, Mariah, Carole King, Shania Twain and Gloria Estefan (and I don't even know why those last two were on the stage).  It's pretty embarrassing. 

• Love 9

Kasie needs a lot more seasoning.  There's something about her that's not "finished" or polished.  She's a little better on her own show, and is slightly awkward w/repartee.

If you score a show by how thoroughly and intelligently Trump is eviscerated, then today's show ranks really high.  A lot of bright minds tore him apart without Joe's brand of hysteria.  But, sadly, it's unsatisfying because complaining isn't action and there is no antidote to Trump's presidential powers and 1/3 of the country's support.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Landsnark said:

But, sadly, it's unsatisfying because complaining isn't action and there is no antidote to Trump's presidential powers and 1/3 of the country's support.

There is.  Vote Dem in November, and get the complicit Republicans out of Congress so our system of checks and balances is no longer perverted by corruption and conspiracy.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Who's this Mika of whom you speak?

Its so strange they aren’t even mentioning her in the, what, three weeks she’s missed out of the last five? Is there some drama or scandal they’re dealing with/trying to get ahead of and purposely keeping her out of sight out of mind? 

• Love 4

Is this now 50+ days off of work for her?

August 17
30 weeks x 5 work days = 150 days.  50 days off.  That's 1/3 of all potential work days.  3 hours x 150 days is 450 hours.   She's worked 300 hours so far this year.  "Worked," ha!  She's appeared for 300 hours.  I work like 50-60 hours a week, so 300 hours is like 1.5 months of work for me.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Its so strange they aren’t even mentioning her in the, what, three weeks she’s missed out of the last five? Is there some drama or scandal they’re dealing with/trying to get ahead of and purposely keeping her out of sight out of mind? 

I checked her KYV website and her "tour" consists of one date in December in San Francisco.  It appears there are still 88 remaining slots open so it doesn't look like it's a solid "go".  Based on her erratic behavior both on set and on Instagram, my guess is she's been sent out to the farm to rest up.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Chloesmom said:

I checked her KYV website and her "tour" consists of one date in December in San Francisco.  It appears there are still 88 remaining slots open so it doesn't look like it's a solid "go".  Based on her erratic behavior both on set and on Instagram, my guess is she's been sent out to the farm to rest up.

Hmmm.  How do you even go about breaking up such a public romance?    If the bloom is off the rose but you both  co-host a television program, what do you do?  Maybe they figure that since she's so incidental to the show anyway, just keep her off set for as long as it takes to forget she was even there in the first place.  For me, that's already happened.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Ladyrain said:

Hmmm.  How do you even go about breaking up such a public romance?    If the bloom is off the rose but you both  co-host a television program, what do you do?  Maybe they figure that since she's so incidental to the show anyway, just keep her off set for as long as it takes to forget she was even there in the first place.  For me, that's already happened.

Until this morning I figured she'd show up eventually but when Kasie said Joe would be back on Monday my jaw almost hit my laptop.  I mean I know a lot of people are taking time off around now to get their kids ready for school but according to landsnark's math she's basically been off more than she's be on camera.  Those last couple of Instagram blasts were hard to watch, I wonder if she's seeking some kind of help.  Omarosa and Trump need to get on this as inquiring minds want to know.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Aretha Franklin wasn't part of "the greatest generation", her rise to fame was during the 60s, she was only 76 when she died. Her influence on female singers, soul, gospel, r& b is HUGE.  Maybe the tribute wasn't great, but there is no denying Aretha's place in the annals of popular music. 

Look up a clip of Divas Live.  She shuts down Celine, Mariah, Carole King, Shania Twain and Gloria Estefan (and I don't even know why those last two were on the stage).  It's pretty embarrassing. 

I meant "greatest generation" as a derisive catch-all for television's annoying habit of foisting yesteryear on viewers, whether it's The Greatest Generation or The History of Comedy or The Sixties, The Seventies, The Eighties, The Nineties, or the days-long canonization of freshly deceased performers from decades ago.   It's why I was so annoyed when Scarborough started rhapsodizing about Johnny Carson a couple weeks ago.   Americans are always looking backwards.  Why can't we ever just move on to something new?  God help me, the SAME music that was on the radio when I was 15 is still playing everyday all day when I'm 55.   Were folks in the 80s listening to music from the 1930s and '40s?   Not as I recall.  But every time I turn on the radio it's freaking 1970s Queen and Journey and Boston, etc.

I know Aretha's place in the history of music and it is not my intention to detract from that.   I just don't think her passing -- or the passing of any performer -- warrants the prolonged media mourning period.

The past is a great place for the past.  

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1

Welp, Joe's in an unspecified bunker.  No Meeks nor mention of said Meeks.  I am glad Mike Schmidt from the NYT is on as I would like to hear more about his stories that broke over the weekend and always glad for Joyce Vance's perspectives.  After Joe and Ignatius get through droning on about what they want to talk about (bashing Giuliani) hopefully they'll cut to Mike.

Another day without a guest list.  It’s Joe but no mention of Mika.  Guest list from initial intro includes Jon Meacham, Carol Lee, Michael Schmidt, Joyce Vance, Andrea Mitchell, David Ignatius.  I can’t remember any other names.  

Nothing from Willie so far and it’s not clear whether he is there.  

Count me in as puzzled regarding the person whose name is relegated to the "small talk" thread.

But the goofing on Rudy's "truth isn't truth" has me in stitches.

At least we don't have to endure Noah Rothman today.  I simply can't stand his smug, condescending mug.

• Love 5

More touching faith from Joe, Ignatius, and Andrea Mitchell about the long term sustainability of our national institutions. None of them seem to be able to wrap their little minds around the reality that Trump and his complicit congress have damaged this country beyond all recognition for a generation to come.

• Love 3

But the goofing on Rudy's "truth isn't truth" has me in stitches.

I was sitting in an awful traffic jam laughing my ass off on this segment. Laughing out loud, which I haven't done in awhile.  Rudy:  "And they may not have even known she was Russian!!"  Golly Gosh-  Natalia Vladimirovna Veselnitskaya.  Yep, I'm sure she's Pennsylvania Dutch, Rudy.

I get really uncomfortable when Joe turns the show into church.

A Christian book author, looking very uncomfortable, is the only person on set other than the host. It was weird, especially when he started talking about fetuses.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Rudy:  "And they may not have even known she was Russian!!"  Golly Gosh-  Natalia Vladimirovna Veselnitskaya.  Yep, I'm sure she's Pennsylvania Dutch, Rudy.

They had some fun with this.  What you couldn't see in the car was the graphics they had on screen that listed Veselnitskaya's title as described in the email to Don Jr as "the crown prosecutor of Russia," (which is wrong, there is no such thing) and that she was a "Russian government attorney."

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Landsnark said:

They had some fun with this.  What you couldn't see in the car was the graphics they had on screen that listed Veselnitskaya's title as described in the email to Don Jr as "the crown prosecutor of Russia," (which is wrong, there is no such thing) and that she was a "Russian government attorney."

I literally could have punched Chuck Todd in the face (if I could afford to buy a new TV)  when he let this particular ball roll through his inadequate legs on MTP.  To be honest, I didn't watch the show but it sounds like they called him out on this.  

• Love 2

no guest list again.  Joe with Walter Isaacson, Elise Jordan and Katty Kay.  I wasn’t really listening tbh.  

Started with a reminiscence of his show taking off and his special audience.  

Now discussing Trump’s base and how solid it is.  Again.  It’s Groundhog Day but that is probably politics at the moment -in the U.K. as well as the US. 

• Love 2

There has been v little activity on the MJ Twitter account for days.  The lack of presenters, bunker presentation, repetitive segments and reminiscences, it’s like a closing down sale.  

• Love 4

There is no set I can discern -- just cameras in different locations.  It's like watching a bad conference call.

30 minutes ago, novhappy said:

No one on set. Show is lifeless. You know it’s bad when the weatherman has the most on screen presence!

• Love 5

Now they are all starting sentences and stopping, because no one can tell who is talking.  It's not rude cross talk, just people not knowing when to talk and when to yield. 

• Love 3
Just now, jjj said:

Now they are all starting sentences and stopping, because no one can tell who is talking.  It's not rude cross talk, just people not knowing when to talk and when to yield. 

It's really bad today.  Joe had to call on Katty and she looked surprised it was her turn.  It's like the entire show including the control room has broken into Meek's stash of chardonnay.

ps, love the watching a bad conference call post, hee!

• Love 3

So Joe (rightly) has a segment making fun of the idiot president's  "CBC" misstatements, then comes back and says "Alll the news that's print to fit."  At least he looked a little confused after he said it, like "what did I say?" 

• Love 2

After taking a break, tuned in today. Boring. Is it just me or does Joe seem to support Trump while denouncing him? I know that’s weird, but sometimes I get the sense that Joe only attacks Trump because he thinks he should, not because he actually believes what he’s saying. I think back to Joe and Mika visiting Trump on NYE 2016 and wonder if Trump had never attacked Mika if Joe would be a supporter? Anyway, time to turn the channel - tired of this baloney “Is Isaacson still awake?” Joe, worry about your viewers falling asleep, not your guests. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, jjj said:

Bill Kristol seems to be talking to someone sitting on his left -- is he actually on a set with someone?  

There was a brief sighting of the table with Heilemann, Isaacson and I'm not sure who the other person was as I found cutting up broccoli and cauliflower more interesting at that moment.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, may flowers said:

After taking a break, tuned in today. Boring. Is it just me or does Joe seem to support Trump while denouncing him? I know that’s weird, but sometimes I get the sense that Joe only attacks Trump because he thinks he should, not because he actually believes what he’s saying. I think back to Joe and Mika visiting Trump on NYE 2016 and wonder if Trump had never attacked Mika if Joe would be a supporter? Anyway, time to turn the channel - tired of this baloney “Is Isaacson still awake?” Joe, worry about your viewers falling asleep, not your guests. 

That’s exactly it.  I’m not sure it’s just Joe either.  I’m seeing a lot of equivocation in the media suddenly and it’s as if there is the viewpoint that Trump is here to stay regardless of what he’s done.  Or maybe Trump is right - the media needs him. 

I’ve not heard many of the MSNBC ‘one day things will be ok’ and ‘importance of the press’ promos recently.  That may be because much of the time Tune In inserts it’s own irritating adverts these days.

And I’ve noticed Elise Jordan is edging back into the Trump camp since Rand Paul became one of Trump’s new chums. 

• Love 2

Did Joe even mention the name 'Mika' today?  Are we not supposed to notice that she's not there?  Or are we not supposed to care.  A long long time ago couldn't Joe - or somebody - have said, "Mika will be taking a month (or 4) off for book tour/piggy bonding/rehab" and squelched the speculation in the bud?

MJ seems to be dying a slow, prolonged death.  It should just be put out of its misery at this point.

• Love 5

Katty Kay always tends to shout in the way you do when you are physically distanced from people.  

And one thing you can say about the missing one is that she is good at signalling the structure of the show, and marshalling the conversations by cueing in guests etc.  

• Love 1