Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Eliot said:

The bunker arrangement is just weird. When was the last time they were both in the studio?

With so much major news and fuck-uppery happening every day, I really need my pundits fully engaged and present.

Do better, show.

wait, what? They’re going on the road together in a couple of weeks? Will there be a screen between them, like in the Dating Gane, so they don’t have to interact in person?

Ok, this just made me spit out my coffee.  And yes they are hitting the road (I think there is further information in Small Talk) and I agree, I can't wait to see the seating configuration for this (love the idea of the Dating Game screen).

• Love 3

8:43 AM: Mika, the ultimate shiksa, uses the word "schtick."  Just no....

I've been on vacation.

Mika: “As we get ready to start the year.” Um. Who is going to tell her.

It's not her fault.  Just last night Mika and Joe played Teacher and Naughty Schoolgirl on the first day of class.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, stormy said:

The first several minutes of this show and we're talking baseball and Mika's pig.

I'm thinking for God's sakes these people would be like Nero.  Fiddling while Rome is burning.

They are wealthy.   It affords them a certain detachment, the knowledge that no matter what happens in this country chances are they will never be uncomfortable.  

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Mika: “As we get ready to start the year.” Um. Who is going to tell her.

13 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

8:43 Am  Mika , the ultimate shiksa, uses the word "schtick."  Just no....

I've been on vacation.

Maybe Mika is converting. Rosh Hashanah is coming up. ?

Looks like Mika and Joe both bounced out early from their separate sets. Didn’t someone say Joe’s bunker days were over? There was just a disembodied “mmm” though so that may have been her. Joe has definitely been gone this whole 8:00 hour.

ETA The disembodied “mmm” was Mika! We’re getting good at this game.

Edited by XOQueens
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Ok, this just made me spit out my coffee.  And yes they are hitting the road (I think there is further information in Small Talk) and I agree, I can't wait to see the seating configuration for this (love the idea of the Dating Game screen).

"Bloviator #1, if I were a flower, what kind would I be?

"Well, I'm just an old country lawyer, but when I was working in Congress thirty years ago, an era when women didn't have to stand in the rain to vote and the president wasn't a day trader ... Let's go to Mike Barnicle, what was the young lady's question again?"

Edited by millennium
  • Love 6

Updated Weds. guest list: John Heilemann, Carol Lee, Michael Schmidt, Kasie Hunt, Nicholas Confessore, Mike Barnicle, Elise Jordan, Philip Rucker, Joshua Johnson, Sen. Mazie Hirono, Rep. Adam Kinzinger, Ian Myers, Sen. Ben Sasse, Ari Melber, Jeffrey Sachs and more

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Woodman said:

When was the last time this happened?  

D41BE896-9B99-4304-8D70-8E3B70BC00B2.jpeg

Geez, it's been a while . . . I'd say when the show used to be called Scarborough Country . . . :)

In all honesty, what a difference having the main anchors (and Heilemann) in the same studio.  The show is much more cohesive.

• Love 3

Why is she not humiliated at the treatment she receives from her beloved?  He bloviates right over when she's talking, doesn't let her jump into the conversation.  And.she.just.takes.it.    You can hear her in the background trying to chime in with "Yesss" and "No!" and the faked laughter.  Everybody else at the table - even Barnicle - is allowed to speak and is shown more respect - than she is.  And she has no earthy idea how to stick up for herself.  She is clearly in over her head.  Maybe that's why those two are a couple:  He treats her with the disdain she's been used to all her life (being the dumb one in a family of smart ones), and she treats him with the deference he hilariously thinks he's entitled to.   Maybe they really are a match made in heaven.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Why is she not humiliated at the treatment she receives from her beloved?  He bloviates right over when she's talking, doesn't let her jump into the conversation.  And.she.just.takes.it.    You can hear her in the background trying to chime in with "Yesss" and "No!" and the faked laughter.  Everybody else at the table - even Barnicle - is allowed to speak and is shown more respect - than she is.  And she has no earthy idea how to stick up for herself.  She is clearly in over her head.  Maybe that's why those two are a couple:  He treats her with the disdain she's been used to all her life (being the dumb one in a family of smart ones), and she treats him with the deference he hilariously thinks he's entitled to.   Maybe they really are a match made in heaven.

I gave up after the first hour and moved on to other programming so I didn't even know Barnicle was there.  I tuned in just in time to see him practically lean so far into her with his shoulder/back that she literally had no where to go.  Gross.

I really like Joshua Johnson.  I hope he is booked more often.

• Love 2

Enough already with the “Trump’s lawyers think he’s not man enough to talk to Mueller” schtick. It’s annoying and obvious. He’s needling Trump, still pathetically vying for his attention and trying to make himself relevant. Even Mika sees through it. And I loved Heileman trying to shut it down by offering the alternative perspective that maybe the lawyers just know Trump will commit perjury. Of course, Joe would have none of it and just yammered over everyone, determined to reiterate his tired point again and again and again.

• Love 5

Tuned in just in time to see the Ben Sasse interview.  It seemed to go on forever and ever; Joe bowed and scraped.  I am so sorry I missed most of the show - always want to watch when Heileman is on.  What did they make of The Book?  

I heard Mika trying to get a word in with the Sasse interview, too.  Pathetic.  And then her trying to shut down talk of Guilty Pleasures.  Bee Gees! Andy Gibb! And a few others. She obviously has no idea who any of these people are/were so has to revert to her Intellectual Schtick.  

Yes, she runs a better show when Joe is off.  But.  She is just .... I don't know what it is...I just don't want to watch her.  Can't figure out if it is because I cannot stand her or the fact that she is under-qualified for the job and thinks she earned her career in journalism through hard, dogged work.  You know, like everyone else in the field.  The whole Born On Third Base thing.  Sorry, I don't mean to sound harsh; I have no idea why she rubs me the wrong way so badly.

Edited by Kemper
Wanted to add another paragraph.
  • Love 6

Mika’s brief forray into being Jewish yesterday

It was a shanda

Enough already with the “Trump’s lawyers think he’s not man enough to talk to Mueller” schtick. It’s annoying and obvious. He’s needling Trump, still pathetically vying for his attention and trying to make himself relevant

JOE SHUTHEFUCKUPSHUTTHEFUCKUPSHUTTHEFUCKUP.  I HAVE BEEN HEARING THIS FOR 2 YEARS.   Joe's brain in his overly big forehead is going, "Yeah--NO ONE has tried this! I'll needle him into submitting to a Mueller hearing and then BAM! we got him."  Stop it Joe!! It's not gonna work! Lord Almighty!  And now also stop with pointing out every .5 seconds that Trump is debasing Southerners.  You think even ONE of those multitude of Southerners/Alabamans who are a big part of his base believes ONE WORD any of the media says Trump said? Hell no.  How the frick does this man make ____ million a year???

edited to add:  And Mika is the only voice of reason about Kavanaugh's HandshakeGate. I'm as liberal as you get and even i think there could be many other reasons why it happened.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

And Mika is the only voice of reason about Kavanaugh's HandshakeGate. I'm as liberal as you get and even i think there could be many other reasons why it happened.

I sort of agree with this, only because I can't believe anyone could be callous enough to do what Kavanaugh's accused of.  And I too as am liberal as they come.  I thought the man looked scared sh*tless of that proferred handshake, not dismissive.   Mika could have made her point more strongly than she did, especially since she knows her worth, at all.  All I heard from her were a lot of "...but...but....ummmm....no.......but......".  She morphs into such a simpering wimp when her boyfriend is there, kicking her under the table to zip it.

• Love 5

Joe's harangue on Kavenaugh and the father of the Parkland shooting victim was way over the top. Mika was correct in trying to say that we don't know all of the details and shouldn't judge right now. I'm certainly no fan of Kavenaugh, but I can see where he was taken aback by someone coming up to him suddenly in the midst of a high tension hearing. He wasn't glaring at the father, he was surprised. Joe is trying so hard to cause an uproar over the situation, and he's making a fool of himself.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 1

They could have invited Fred Guttenberg to ask him what happened in that moment, like Lawrence O'Donnell did last night.  There was no misunderstanding. Kavanaugh did exactly what he was shown to be doing.  Joe got that right.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

THEY'RE BOTH IN THE STUDIO.  TOGETHER.  SITTING NEXT TO EACH OTHER.  IN THE SAME FRAME.

And you thought the Woodward book was the big news of the day . . . 

This me laugh. America's favourite couple is back!

45 minutes ago, izabella said:

They could have invited Fred Guttenberg to ask him what happened in that moment, like Lawrence O'Donnell did last night.  There was no misunderstanding. Kavanaugh did exactly what he was shown to be doing.  Joe got that right.

Joe is a hero for denouncing Kavanaugh. Thank God for Joe's courageous stance on kavanaugh.

1 hour ago, Kenz said:

Joe's harangue on Kavenaugh and the father of the Parkland shooting victim was way over the top. Mika was correct in trying to say that we don't know all of the details and shouldn't judge right now. I'm certainly no fan of Kavenaugh, but I can see where he was taken aback by someone coming up to him suddenly in the midst of a high tension hearing. He wasn't glaring at the father, he was surprised. Joe is trying so hard to cause an uproar over the situation, and he's making a fool of himself.

Joe excels at making a fool of himself. If Joe had any kahonas, he would have run as an Independent True Conservative in the Florida Panhandle . Joe could test his support as a Martha's Vineyard/Redneck Republican who has strong family values which were confirmed by his second wife's disclosure that he had been faithful to her during part of his marriage to her. :))

• Love 5
6 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

It was a shanda

JOE SHUTHEFUCKUPSHUTTHEFUCKUPSHUTTHEFUCKUP.  I HAVE BEEN HEARING THIS FOR 2 YEARS.   Joe's brain in his overly big forehead is going, "Yeah--NO ONE has tried this! I'll needle him into submitting to a Mueller hearing and then BAM! we got him."  Stop it Joe!! It's not gonna work! Lord Almighty!  And now also stop with pointing out every .5 seconds that Trump is debasing Southerners.  You think even ONE of those multitude of Southerners/Alabamans who are a big part of his base believes ONE WORD any of the media says Trump said? Hell no.  How the frick does this man make ____ million a year???

edited to add:  And Mika is the only voice of reason about Kavanaugh's HandshakeGate. I'm as liberal as you get and even i think there could be many other reasons why it happened.

Joe wants to get his contract renewed after the 2018 midterms. He needs to come off as an outraged GOP Former Congressperson

7 hours ago, XOQueens said:

Mika’s lipstick is terrible on her.

This would hve been part of my daily recap. Recaps resume prior to December 31, 2018

• Love 7

So, according to Scarborough, decent, talented, intelligent people have a responsibility to share a billing with hate-mongering trolls like Steve Bannon -- and if they don't, then they are giving a "win" to the Bannons of the world.    But so would allowing Bannon to participate in the event, because it would afford him false equivalency with all the other guests.    I remember how Scarborough complained when Trump met with Kim Jong Un, because he was giving Kim the kind of status that had been heretofore denied him.   It's the same principle.   Would Scarborough appear on the same bill as Alex Jones?   I'm guessing he wouldn't.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

At the least, you’d think she’d be too embarrassed to admit the only thing she has to offer foreign policy discussions is reliving, for the 1,203rd time, when she dropped caviar in various foreign leaders’ crotches.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, XOQueens said:

At the least, you’d think she’d be too embarrassed to admit the only thing she has to offer foreign policy discussions is reliving, for the 1,203rd time, when she dropped caviar in various foreign leaders’ crotches.

But you do have to admit she does add shall we say a unique perspective.

I guess it's official that the band is back together.  They are all at the table (including Barnicle) and manage to make the bombshells that were dropped yesterday boring.

And the color of the day is once again blue.  It's like they're all wearing their news uniforms.

• Love 3

Drink. 
Barnicle asked, "Senator, what are we going to be doing about the Twitter?  I mean, we've got people walking around... looking at their phones...  Senator?"  Then the white haired Senator gave a cogent thoughtful answer on how government regulation of the internet is perilous and no one knows what it could look like anyway.
Then the white haired Senator thanked Meachem for his book, and Joe steps all over the moment in order to insult Meachem, but the whole segment is mired in cross-talk and I couldn't even understand Joe's playful insults of Meachem.

• Love 3

I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Morning Joe Studio

Morning Joe is facing a test to its relevance unlike any faced by a modern American news show.

It’s not just that Joe's forehead looms large.   Or that the hosts are bitterly divided by their on-air schedules.  Or even that the show may lose its audience to two hosts apparently hellbent on the show's downfall. 

The dilemma — which Joe Scarborough does not fully grasp — is that many of the panel members are working diligently from within to frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations.

I would know. I am one of them.

The root of the problem is Joe's verbosity. Anyone who works with him knows he is not moored to any discernible self-awareness that might otherwise moderate his rambling mouth. 

Although he was elected as a Republican, Scarborough shows little affinity for economy -- especially where words are concerned.   At best, he fires off circular, five-minute rants in scripted settings.  At worst, he bloviates outright.  

In addition to his mass-marketing of the notion that he is "just a country lawyer,” Scarborough's impulses are generally antebellum and anti-Mika.

Mornings with him veer off topic and off the rails, he engages in repetitive rants, and his impulsiveness results in half-baked, ill-informed and occasionally boring diatribes after which he walks back somewhere in the studio.

“There is literally no telling whether he might change his mind from one minute to the next,” another panel member complained to me recently, exasperated by the way Scarborough flip-flopped from cheerleader to critic of Donald Trump. 

It may be no comfort at all, but viewers should know that there are adults in the room.   And Mike Barnicle.   We fully recognize what is happening.  And we are trying to do what’s right even when Joe Scarborough won’t.  (Check out the show on his mornings off!)

Given the instability many witnessed, there were early whispers within the panel of fabricating a #MeToo complaint, which would start a frighteningly efficient process for removing the host.  But no one wanted to precipitate a ratings crisis. So we will do what we can to steer the show in the right direction until — one way or another — it’s over.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 18
6 minutes ago, millennium said:

Morning Joe is facing a test to its relevance unlike any faced by a modern American news show.

It’s not just that Joe's forehead looms large.   Or that the hosts are bitterly divided by their on-air schedules.  Or even that the show may lose its audience to two hosts apparently hellbent...

Mika's reply:  "Wow.  [sigh]  Not normal."

• Love 3
1 hour ago, millennium said:

It’s not just that Joe's forehead looms large.   Or that the hosts are bitterly divided by their on-air schedules.  Or even that the show may lose its audience to two hosts apparently hellbent on the show's downfall. 

The dilemma — which Joe Scarborough does not fully grasp — is that many of the panel members are working diligently from within to frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations.

I would know. I am one of them.

The root of the problem is Joe's verbosity. Anyone who works with him knows he is not moored to any discernible self-awareness that might otherwise moderate his rambling mouth. 

Although he was elected as a Republican, Scarborough shows little affinity for economy -- especially where words are concerned.   At best, he fires off circular, five-minute rants in scripted settings.  At worst, he bloviates outright.  

In addition to his mass-marketing of the notion that he is "just a country lawyer,” Scarborough's impulses are generally antebellum and anti-Mika.

Mornings with him veer off topic and off the rails, he engages in repetitive rants, and his impulsiveness results in half-baked, ill-informed and occasionally boring diatribes after which he walks back somewhere in the studio.

“There is literally no telling whether he might change his mind from one minute to the next,” another panel member complained to me recently, exasperated by the way Scarborough flip-flopped from cheerleader to critic of Donald Trump. 

It may be no comfort at all, but viewers should know that there are adults in the room.   And Mike Barnicle.   We fully recognize what is happening.  And we are trying to do what’s right even when Joe Scarborough won’t.  (Check out the show on his mornings off!)

Given the instability many witnessed, there were early whispers within the panel of fabricating a #MeToo complaint, which would start a frighteningly efficient process for removing the host.  But no one wanted to precipitate a ratings crisis. So we will do what we can to steer the show in the right direction until — one way or another — it’s over.

Fantastic!  

Who do you think wrote it? Could obviously be Willie Geist! Maybe a exec producer?  Lower level staffer?

This person has done something incrediblely important by speaking out, telling the American people what’s going on    right in front of them from 6-9 am. A true courageous hero!

This person is just trying to preserve their legacy for their grandchildren. He/she should speak out in public and let the world know what Mika and Joe are doing behind the scenes so we can all rise up!

no, this person is a coward and subverting the proper and long standing democratic principles of morning tv. Morning show hosts are the leaders of the show! By cutting Joe’s mic or feeding Mika complete sentences he/she is enabling this shit show to go on! Band together with the other resistance fighters and resign en masse!  This type of subversive resistance from within could destroy morning show principles for decades to some!

<<crosstalk>>

Edited by novhappy
  • Love 6

This would have been part of my daily recap. Recaps resume prior to December 31, 2018

YIPEEEE!  Oakville, there is a new mod here, so you probably have to re-interview for your job.......

Millenium, you are on fiyah!! You treasonous bitch/bastard!!

• Love 4

Less than 24 hours into OP ED gate and I'm bored with it.

I love the clip of Kamila Harris. She's so much smarter than the guy she's grilling.

YEP.  And it don't matter, because the old white guys with used car dealer hair (like Kavanaugh) are in charge and will shuttle him through.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, XOQueens said:

I’m confused about what just happened in the last segment. I came in and an old man was doing some auction role playing, and then Joe clapped and Mika thought it was hilarious. 

It was a clip from the Twitter hearings and Laura Loomer (Alt right extraordinaire) was screaming nonsense at the Twitter CEO so Rep. Billy Long just started yammering back at her.  I loved his take down and I am glad they played that clip as it gave me more than a giggle.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

It was a clip from the Twitter hearings and Laura Loomer (Alt right extraordinaire) was screaming nonsense at the Twitter CEO so Rep. Billy Long just started yammering back at her.  I loved his take down and I am glad they played that clip as it gave me more than a giggle.

That clip was great. They played it twice during the show. Apparently Billy Long used to be a professional auctioneer in his pre-congressional days.

• Love 2

6 am.  Welcome to Entertainment Tonight.

7 am. Welcome to Sports Nation.

In between we have Eugene Robinson and his usual we are in a constitutional crisis editorial. 

Edited by stormy
  • Love 3