Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

I tuned in late...to see the clip of Duncan Hunter throwing the wife under the bus.  And who says gallantry is dead?  But the best part was the sound effect of a "thud" that they played.  And Joe saying that was the sound of Hunter well, you know...bus.  That is why I don't miss Meeka...she has zero sense of humor.  She would have had the fake "My God" or some such going on during the story.  And Heileman poking the bear and asking said bear if he had been in politics.  And then they went to ... Natasha? ... for a story and she was smirking.  That is why I can't quit this show altogether.  And why I can't switch to CNN permanently...informative but something is just missing; can't put my finger on what it is.  If they were to actually get a host/hostess/group with some chemistry and humor, MJ would probably be dead in the water.  Sniff?  MJ has that a good bit of the time.  Especially without Meeka.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

I wish Heileman would go rogue and ask Joe about his relationship problems. Lol

”As always, thank you for your patience.” Does Joe usually say that? 

Oh I thought it was just me and no he doesn't.  Oy this show.

• Love 1

I too enjoyed the "bus thud" sound effect. It was the best part of the show.  Methinks that if Scoop and Joe were splittsville, Trump would have found out and would be plunging his dagger in and out.  But something HAS to be up.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

I too enjoyed the "bus thud" sound effect. It was the best part of the show.  Methinks that if Scoop and Joe were splittsville, Trump would have found out and would be plunging his dagger in and out.  But something HAS to be up.

Patience Grasshopper, all will be revealed soon . . . -Kung Fu-

• Love 3
1 hour ago, XOQueens said:

Lol Heilemann with the shade: “Joe, let me check, I haven’t heard this before, were you once in politics?”

And that right there is why I love Heilemann.

• Love 7

John Heileman is a National Snarky Treasure.  May he never change; and Joe seemed to go with the flow of being poked at.  I know I am in the minority of liking the show when Meeka is not there...it's even better when Joe isn't there, too.  But we take what we can get.  And the Pecker jokes just write themselves; I can't fault the panel today for having an icky good time with it.  Sans Meeka, of course.  Humor killer.

• Love 7

I only watched a few minutes in the 6 am block but I have a feeling the boys were letting loose with pecker jokes because they knew Ms Stick Up Her Butt wasn't there to smack their knuckles with a ruler.  

• Love 4

I'm a girl and I wasn't the least bit offended. On this show I would have thought something was amiss if they didn't make some jokes, especially when they practically write themselves, as Kemper said. And I agree with others, I never loved John H. more than I did this morning. His crack at Joe was so spot on.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Sans Meeka, of course.  Humor killer.

Spot on.  She is the very definition of wet blanket.  As much as I dislike Joe, at least he does have a sense of humor.  And he smiles - even if it does make his squinty little eyes disappear.  Meeka is soooo old before her time.  What the hell will she be like when she really is old?  And because I can't ask this enough - what in god's name do those two see in each other. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, XOQueens said:

”As always, thank you for your patience.” Does Joe usually say that? 

It isn't something he says all the time, but I have heard him say it numorous times, most frequently on Fridays. I don't think it's anything unusual for him to say.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Meeka is soooo old before her time.  What the hell will she be like when she really is old?  And because I can't ask this enough - what in god's name do those two see in each other. 

Money & Power.  Joe thinks he's a hilljack and she got him into the DC elite, he got her the money and notoriety she desired. And face it, would you know how to put on sunscreen or whether to drink milk without her Know Your Value platform.  https://www.nbcnews.com/know-your-value/feature/milk-really-good-you-ncna894341

I get the feeling she overcompensates for her lack of intellect with the "I'm too serious for anything frivolous" bullshit.  Notice the other day when she was on, she really goes overboard either with outrage, or just the non belief of something stupid Trump does.  HOW STUPID DOES HE THINK PEOPLE ARE???!!!  She must have said that five times in five minutes. 

WHERE ARE THE CHILDREN IVANKA??!!! WHERE ARE THE CHILDREN?!!  Every fucking day, like Ivanka was going to respond, Oh Mika is angry I better do something. 

Honey Ivanka couldn't find her ass with both hands and a mirror, I'm pretty sure she couldn't point out Texas on a map of Texas. 

And, Jacob Soboloff was on your network for weeks stating where the children were. Brookyn, which is a car ride from where you're sitting,  a center in Michigan, San Diego, Arizona, Texas. Put the wine down, get up off your ass and go find them. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Kemper said:

I tuned in late...to see the clip of Duncan Hunter throwing the wife under the bus.  And who says gallantry is dead?  But the best part was the sound effect of a "thud" that they played. 

When you're guilty as sin, it's not the worst strategy.  At his trial, he will point he finger at his wife, sowing reasonable doubt in the jury that he knew anything about it.  At her trial, she will point the finger at her husband, therefore sowing reasonable doubt that SHE is guilty.  All it takes is one sympathetic juror, just like the lone holdout in Manafort's trial that got him off on 10 charges for which he was also guilty as sin..

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

What the hell will she be like when she really is old?

Have you ever seen her mother or father?  Wet blanket doesn't go far enough.  As fun as an anxiety attack. 
She probably drinks to circumvent her wiring and is probably amusing and volatile when drunk.

1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

I get the feeling she overcompensates for her lack of intellect with the "I'm too serious for anything frivolous" bullshit.

Bingo

Duncan Hunter and his wife will plea out.  If they go to trial separately, they'll both be found guilty and will be made examples of.  A lot of witches will get burned at the stake in the coming years.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Landsnark said:

C'mon.  His name is "Pecker."  And he's a horrifying human.  All shade thrown is fine, no matter how schoolyardy.  Last night Rachel Maddow couldn't stop giggling when she said "Pecker."  She said I'm 45 years old and I'm laughing  I'm just a 9 year old 5x over.  Then she said, Pecker puts the potus in a pickle.  I laughed.

Schoolyardy maybe.   But not smart in today's climate.

1 hour ago, millennium said:

Schoolyardy maybe.   But not smart in today's climate.

She actually was parodying the tongue-twister sentence, and what she said was "the pickle Pecker put the president in".  So, in this case, it was the measure "peck", not the schoolyard joke.  (A peck is one-fourth of a bushel.  "A peck of pickled peppers"  "I love you, a bushel and a peck." [Guys and Dolls!])

• Love 1
3 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Notice the other day when she was on, she really goes overboard either with outrage, or just the non belief of something stupid Trump does.  HOW STUPID DOES HE THINK PEOPLE ARE???!!! 

Stupid enough to deliver the same predictable response every time he dangles a shiny object in front of them.   It's Pavlovian by now.

Say what you will about Omarosa, but her remedy makes perfect sense: stop feeding his need for attention. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Kemper said:

John Heileman is a National Snarky Treasure.  May he never change; and Joe seemed to go with the flow of being poked at.  I know I am in the minority of liking the show when Meeka is not there...it's even better when Joe isn't there, too.  But we take what we can get.  And the Pecker jokes just write themselves; I can't fault the panel today for having an icky good time with it.  Sans Meeka, of course.  Humor killer.

Heilemann's afternoon partner in crime wins the Pecker wars:

image.thumb.png.306763b2824fe1a1c5c0f4563a1b4c0e.png

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:

Heilemann's afternoon partner in crime wins the Pecker wars:

That was not a real chyron -- someone invented that on the interwebs and put it on an old image of Nicolle.  Just to keep the record straight!  The person who originally posted that on Twitter has taken it down, but it of course copied and circulating.  

33 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Woo HOOOOO!!!

• Love 2
On 8/22/2018 at 9:19 AM, Chloesmom said:

In a nutshell Oakville, Meeks was in (and lucid) and Joe is tweeting/writing from his bunker.  As blowhard wasn't there, the subject matter experts were allowed to do their jobs properly and a good time was had by all.

Oh and Elise Jordan called the unindicted co-conspirator a scumbag.

Hope things are going well for you my friend!

Thanks for the update. I am busy at work trying to close down my final assignments. Looking forward to start condo shopping in SRQ. Youngest is off to College next week! Very hot summer here in oakville.

• Love 2
On 8/24/2018 at 10:26 AM, Watson said:

I'm a girl and I wasn't the least bit offended. On this show I would have thought something was amiss if they didn't make some jokes, especially when they practically write themselves, as Kemper said. And I agree with others, I never loved John H. more than I did this morning. His crack at Joe was so spot on.

I wasn't suggesting anyone should be offended, only that it was unwise to be making jokes about genitalia in a modern workplace.   There seems to be zero tolerance for ribaldry these days.  

• Love 1

Updated Mon. guest list: Mike Barnicle, Richard Haass, Andrea Mitchell, Jon Meacham, Katty Kay, Hans Nichols, Adm. James Stavridis, ctd…

… Nicholas Confessore, Peggy Noonan, Thomas Friedman, Chris Matthews, Mark Salter, Tom Brokaw, Dan Rather, Michael Beschloss, Susan Page, Jeff Greenfield and more

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Updated Mon. guest list: Mike Barnicle, Richard Haass, Andrea Mitchell, Jon Meacham, Katty Kay, Hans Nichols, Adm. James Stavridis, ctd…

… Nicholas Confessore, Peggy Noonan, Thomas Friedman, Chris Matthews, Mark Salter, Tom Brokaw, Dan Rather, Michael Beschloss, Susan Page, Jeff Greenfield and more

Hmmmm . . . only thing missing is who will be the host . . . :)

• Love 1

Joe... ‘Mika has the morning off, and Willie will also be back later this week’

began with a montage of J&M interviewing Sen John McCain which highlighted the late Senator’s sense of humour but was also about J&M. 

• Love 3

Ok first impressions:

• Mika has the morning (I think he meant to say month) off (seriously, this is ridiculous)
  • Jon Meacham's tie is wider than Joe's (no, just no)
  • Does Barnicle's wife even glance at him before he leaves to be on camera and if not she should give that some thought
  • I am glad that Mark Salter will be on today and looking forward to hearing what he has to say
  • Love 1

How are media gossip-mongers not remarking on the odd-even work schedule of Scarborough and Mika?

The "all-McCain, all-the-time" coverage is a bit over the top these last couple days but knowing that it must sting like salt on a bone spur is enough for me to say, "Keep it coming!" 

At the same time, I wonder what shiny object will be inevitably be served up to divert attention away from McCain.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 6

IMHO if J and M have broken up, they wouldn’t have included those clips of Sen. McCain teasing Mika by saying to her “it’s not too late!” and “Joe finally found someone who loves him as much as he does!”  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, millennium said:

How are media gossip-mongers not remarking on the odd-even work schedule of Scarborough and Mika?

The "all-McCain, all-the-time" coverage is a bit over the top these last couple days but knowing that it must sting like salt on a bone spur is enough for me to say, "Keep it coming!" 

I too am stunned that gossip columns aren't all over this as clearly something is up so at this point there must be a higher, more powerful entity at work here.  As for the McCain coverage, I am ok with the level I have been seeing as it must be singeing the shorts of our unindicted co-conspirator-in-chief.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

I too am stunned that gossip columns aren't all over this as clearly something is up so at this point there must be a higher, more powerful entity at work here.  As for the McCain coverage, I am ok with the level I have been seeing as it must be singeing the shorts of our unindicted co-conspirator-in-chief.

The real fun hasn't even begun yet.   Wait until McCain's funeral, when Obama delivers the eulogy, and Trump can't even get in the door.  

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Chloesmom said:

So the flag at the White House is at full staff (not half staff) this morning.  Could this unindicated co-conspirator be a bigger asshole or what?  Wow, just wow.

I just saw that on the show.    His most unwavering character trait is pettiness.  

• Love 8

Good on Tom Friedman for making a point of calling out Lindsey Graham's state of disgrace after Scarborough and Noonan both chickened out, opting instead to speak in code.  Scarborough's "I don't need to mention their names on this show" is a cop-out.   A way to appear critical but not piss off his former cohorts too much.   They should be named and shamed.  

• Love 8

I think folks aren't mourning McCain as much as the passing of our old way of life.   Scarborough just played the clip of McCain at the Al Smith dinner praising Obama and I got choked up which is telling because I don't have any particular love for either of them.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, captain1 said:

IMHO if J and M have broken up, they wouldn’t have included those clips of Sen. McCain teasing Mika by saying to her “it’s not too late!” and “Joe finally found someone who loves him as much as he does!”  

I don’t think they broke up (yet, ha), but I do think they’re probably on and off fighting and being messy about it. 

• Love 2

Scarborough and many of the guests are calling attention to Trump's lack of statement about McCain, his minimalist tweet to McCain's family, and the merely token lowering of the flag.

Ironically, one of McCain's former Vietnamese captors showed more class and respect than our own President:

One of John McCain’s Former Captors Sends Condolences From Vietnam

19 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

? This whole thing here...

No speakee Twitter, so I have no idea what this is about.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, millennium said:

No speakee Twitter, so I have no idea what this is about.

The quoted Tweet is a Blind Item post about an anchor at MSNBC/30 Rock with a serious gas problem (it was sorta gross to read in the morning, ha). So Max Weiss was just joking that the farter Blind Item is a ploy to distract people from Mika and Joe’s whatever-this-absence-is. A fashion editor from WaPo replied, though, so media folk are starting to take notice of their, ahem, scheduling issue. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

I too am stunned that gossip columns aren't all over this as clearly something is up so at this point there must be a higher, more powerful entity at work here. 

Yesterday Mika posted a video on Instagram showing the end of Joe’s football show. Mika and Joe were watching it together, because you could hear them both saying ‘Yes’ at the end. The room they were in looked to be an older house, so maybe Maine?

I just think they’ve figured out how to take the whole summer off, by broadcasting remotely from wherever they are, and only having one of them work at a time. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

am glad that Mark Salter will be on today and looking forward to hearing what he has to say

He was pretty no holds barred, he said he didn't enjoy every day of working for him, and that McCain could be calculating, and they could never keep him on message. I was watching Game Change again last night, he was played by Jamie Sheridan, and he was the one person on McCain's campaign who went batshit over Palin and the lack of vetting.  

1 hour ago, millennium said:

Good on Tom Friedman for making a point of calling out Lindsey Graham's state of disgrace 

Twitter has been blowing up over Lindsay Graham the last couple days, his comments about Sessions and wondering what Trump/Russians have on him. Maybe he thinks since McCain was near death, it was okay to show what a spineless weasel he really is.  We all know what Trump is threatening to say about him, it's the worst kept secret in DC. 

Good lord did Noonan show up drunk again? She can barely speak in coherent sentences. 

MSNBC had Joe on Saturday night when the news broke about McCain. He called in from the love nest/Fight Club. 

• Love 3

The "all-McCain, all-the-time" coverage is a bit over the top these last couple days but knowing that it must sting like salt on a bone spur is enough for me to say, "Keep it coming!

Wordy McWorderson.  I agree that McCain's passing does deserve some Kennedy-esque brouhaha, but remember all, he unleashed Palin upon this Planet.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Wordy McWorderson.  I agree that McCain's passing does deserve some Kennedy-esque brouhaha, but remember all, he unleashed Palin upon this Planet.

Word indeed.  I saw a clip of him from 2004 talking about how we had to invade Iraq, that Hussein had WMDs. Did he ever admit the error?  And I wonder if he stood up to Trump because he truly hated what he was doing, or that he was just getting even for all the insults. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, millennium said:

At the same time, I wonder what shiny object will be inevitably be served up to divert attention away from McCain.

I have no problem with the round-the-clock coverage of Senator McCain's passing.  The legacy is huge, and I believe his death represents the end of an era in the Senate and it needs to be discussed particularly as it pertains to the Orange One's stranglehold on the GOP.  That's one of the reasons I cried this weekend.  I wonder if in the middle of lionizing McCain, they will mention his greatest political failure, i.e. unleashing Sarah "I'm Cute But Know Nothing" Palin on an unsuspecting public.  Drumpf's narcissism won't be able to stand it that two former presidents have been asked to eulogize one of the few GOP lawmakers who stood up to him.  As an added bonus, folks are loudly wondering what type of special asshole do you have to be to get banned from TWO funerals in less than six months. 

As for Mika's absences, I initially thought she was off planning her wedding but a woman of her means would have a wedding planner.  Something is definitely up between her and Joe.  Even on the few occasions when they appear on the show, her body language is off and her affect is flat.

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

How i wish he had stuck to his maverick guns and tapped Joe Liebermann.  Hindsight is 20/20 but if he was going to lose, lose going with the pick you wanted. It'd have been a very impactful statement of a bi-partisan ticket even if it wasn't successful the first time it was tried. Apparently John Kerry contemplated having McCain as his VP choice for 2004 but was also talked out of it and tapped Edwards and we all saw later what a disaster he was.

Whatever is going on with Joe and Mika, both should've been on today to honor McCain. I don't buy that this is just for the summer and it's very much affected the show and the brand of Morning Joe. If Mika and Joe think they can miss this much time, they aren't as integral to the show and unlike when Rachael Maddow went on vacation for a week and a half and many of us were left adrift, J&M have been gone so long now, it's more annoying when they show up as I'm used to Willie and Kasey.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

I missed seeing whatever Joe showed about the flag at the White House -- sounds like it was briefly lowered?

I can't think of any other Senator/Rep who would get such wall to wall coverage. And this is way more than Gerald Ford received on any network, and he spent his whole life in public service. 

Edited by freddi