Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Tuned in late to hear Meeka reading from something about the Camp David Peace Accord; that was such an historical event and it is nice that it gets revisited.  By revisited I don't mean reading an article verbatim from a newspaper or op-ed.  You know, like Joe's historical editorials.  Her droning sounded like it had been going on for awhile.  Back in the day I was a librarian...could read to classes all day at the elementary level and keep each class engaged.  (Try reading Dr. Seuss for hours...you come  home saying everything in a sing-song voice).  I digress.  I...and any librarian I know, could do just as good a job of reading from a teleprompter or a book/article.  And she gets paid the big bucks for it.  Then I realized that it was 8:20 or so and that I was probably watching a rerun from a previous hour.  So I turned to CNN.

I read this weekend about John Heileman's interview with Bannon; Heileman said it was one of the scariest 2 hours of his life.  Did they go into that?  And yes, Kavanaugh and Florence are the big stories this morning, but I would have loved to hear an inside take/look at the interview.  Missed the boat, MJ.  

Mr. Kemper looked up and took a gander at Joe...said His Nibbs looked like he had been standing out and reporting on the hurricane.  His hair was poufed and blown high on the side.  The sun is trying to break through!  We have been very very lucky; wish I could say the same to old neighbors and friends in the direct path of this storm.   If I was of a fervent religious persuasion I would say Thoughts and Prayers.  I only wish they get some relief and positive news soon.

• Love 5

I was noticing how high Joe's hair was too this morning. WTF

if you guys can find Heileman talking to Bannon on line or if you have showtime, watch it. 

I don't know why the show couldn't put together a 2 minute package on the Camp David talks, instead of having Mika read about it.  Oh I know why. Because Joe & Mika are lazy assholes and forgot to tell their staffs to get that ready. 

• Love 4

Mika is getting dragged on Twitter again for being anti-Feminist about the Kavanaugh story this morning. More and more people are lashing out about Know Your Value being at odds with her presence on the show. It’s been an interesting thing to see happen. 

• Love 3

Mika gets really weird whenever a #metoo issue comes up on the show. It's like she wants to be the owner and arbiter of all things having to do with female empowerment, but she can't quite make up her mind as to where she stands on anything. Her tone today when discussing Dr. Ford was a combination of outrage and skepticism and nothing she said made much sense.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Yeah but that's like every day. 

I really wonder what skeleton is in Joe's closet that she gets so squirrelly whenever this stuff comes up.   

Feign shock that Mika is unable to form an opinion of her own that’s not based on what Daddy* believes and tells her. 

*Zbig, First Husband, Joe... the role is interchangeable.

Updated Tues. guest list: Mike Barnicle, Katty Kay, Matt Miller, Eugene Robinson, Steve Rattner, Noah Rothman, Steve Kornacki, Heidi Przybyla, Nina Totenberg, Sen. Chris Coons, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Daniel Klaidman, Rep. Jim Himes and more

Noah Rothman has tweeted he is on from 6.20 to 7.20. 

• Love 1

Mika was odd about the Kavanaugh story.  She began strongly and Joe didn’t interrupt for several minutes.  I thought #metoo was her topic.  Then she started saying she hoped the Dems weren’t playing dirty on this.  

Joe was more empathetic and seemed to be treading very carefully among the issues.  

Mika and Joe open with Kavanaugh/Thomas clips but move quickly to Trump. 

Willie is also there - brought into the Emmy discussion. 

Mika has already raise KYV in relation to Clare Foy winning best actress.  Perhaps she will be paid more says Mika ignoring that 1. She’s left and 2. they already have. 

• Love 1

Twenty minutes in this morning and Joe welcomes Matt Miller who makes me want to cry as he explains what it means to release documents regarding an ongoing investigation.

Joe says that trump releasing documents regarding the Russian investigation would have been the top story but the top story was the Emmy's.  The second story was Kavanaugh.

Glad we got those priorities straight.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, stormy said:

Twenty minutes in this morning and Joe welcomes Matt Miller who makes me want to cry as he explains what it means to release documents regarding an ongoing investigation.

Joe says that trump releasing documents regarding the Russian investigation would have been the top story but the top story was the Emmy's.  The second story was Kavanaugh.

Glad we got those priorities straight.

Stormy I couldn't agree with this post more.  All this crap flying around and only those two would insert their TV favorites into the very beginning of the show (good to know there are shows that Meeks watches/approves of).

• Love 2

Fuck you Barnicle.  I don't want to hear about getting crushed on social media as it's become such a dumpster fire even on the best of days.  You want to talk about crushed, play the tape of Anita Hill getting grilled/humiliated on national television by those asshat male senators.  I watched it last night on Rachel's show and it made me sob.  It was like watching them pull the wings off of a fly for their own amusement.

Edited by Chloesmom
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Only Doris Kearns Goodwin is keeping me listening. The last 30mins have been torture and I share your headache.   Today has been a bad show. 

Thanks for letting me know Woodman as I would hate to miss her.  It also cheered me up that they aren't even trying to hide the fact that the anchors aren't on set, no more of those tortured angled shots/Brady Bunch boxes . . . :)

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Yes he was.  can you imagine what a joy and delight it would be to date/be married to Noah Rothman????

Ahem, Noah Rothman from Commentary Magazine (Podhoretz must be telling him to push it) . . . :)

2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

top story but the top story was the Emmy's.  The second story was Kavanaugh.

what??!!?!?!?!?

I mean, I was thrilled that Henry Winkler and Bill Hader won but no the Emmys is not the top story.

Wouldn't Trump releasing those docs be considered obstruction, as he is meddling in an ongoing investigation?  I mean, he doesn't exactly get great legal advice from anyone.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, teddysmom said:

what??!!?!?!?!?

I mean, I was thrilled that Henry Winkler and Bill Hader won but no the Emmys is not the top story.

Wouldn't Trump releasing those docs be considered obstruction, as he is meddling in an ongoing investigation?  I mean, he doesn't exactly get great legal advice from anyone.  

Today's show was just mindboggling bad even for them.  Poor choice/placement of topics, the anchors barely there/participating except when Joe got into it with Sen. Chris Coons (all I caught was "we'll have to follow up on that").  Okee dokee smokey, whenever you return from your now six month vacation we look forward to it.

I don't even know if they discussed releasing those documents as I would think old country lawyer would be all over it.

• Love 2

What is Joe pissed about re Chris Coons? He said he would give up his time to let Harris and Kobuchar question Kavanaugh and Ford.  Apparently Joe doesn't understand the optics of men haranguing women about almost being raped.  Not that Coons would do that. 

I did catch a bit of him whining about Dems "jumping to conclusions" that Kavanaugh did this. 

Oh shut the fuck up Joe.  I guess as far as you're concerned it's just too bad there wasn't a desk she could hit her head on, huh? 

• Love 5

They discussed the releasing of the documents with Matt Miller 20 into the show. It depressed me almost to the point of tears. Matt Miller, as usual, very outraged in his cool as cucumber demeanor.

I wanted to ask him. Can't someone get a federal judge to intervene?

• Love 3

Updated Weds. guest list: Mike Barnicle, Susan Del Percio, Nicholas Confessore, Michael Steele, Jonathan Lemire, Mimi Rocah, Maya Wiley, Sophia Nelson, Seth G. Jones, Michael Moore, Eddie Glaude Jr., Anand Giridharadas and more

I agree Nidratime.  It’s ruined the show for me.  As a new non US listener, I put it down to the impending elections and the fact he can’t stomach Democrats so would always prefer a Trump President and Congress.  I might come back to listen after the elections. 

• Love 1

When Mika started mansplaining why Christine Blasey Ford has no right to ask for an FBI investigation, I remembered my value and switched the fucking show off.    

Who the hell is she or Scarborough to be claiming there's absolutely no way an FBI investigation could possibly turn up new facts?

• Love 16

The show is just a complete mess and it upsets/depresses me more than the actual news flying around.  I can't take them and their meandering opinions plus I need real, focused news and I simply don't trust the show anymore.  I'm out.

• Love 11

There are still parts of MJ that I enjoy. Right now there is a long segment with Michael Moore and others. Joe and Mika are not there but Michael called on Mika and she appeared briefly. Huh!

Commercial is over and Mika is back.  Moore segment is still going on.

• Love 1

Could not tune in until maybe 8:45 or so.  In time to see the handsome black  man with the wild hair....waxing so so eloquent.  He seemed to be sitting with Michael Moore, Willie and someone else I really like but it was fleeting.  Eddie Glaud?  And Susan Del Percio.  The wild-haired (actually it isn't as standing-up as usual; now it just resembles Joe's) man was making such a valid point...that people who won't tolerate certain behaviors from their friends, church, co-workers and such...will tolerate it from the President of the US.  That sums up everything so well.  Willie took them to a break.  I grabbed my tea and waited.  What do I see next..Meeka; who is not even there.  The panel is looking at each other, face-to-face, great back-and-forth.  Like a news show should be.  The panel in the studio was one of the best ever.  They bring emotions, reasoning, even-handed discussion.  This show maybe doesn't need actual hosts.  Willie usually leaves me kind of blah...but just let him host, meaning he introduces the guests, panelists and segments.  Then he just lets them talk.  The 10-15 minutes I saw was kind of a class in how you do it.

How how how can the conduct of JoeMeeka be tolerated by the network?  All the other programs and hosts seem to earn their paycheck.  Hey, MSNBC....you're being taken for a ride.  And it is so in-your-face.  Annnd....we just went to Stephanie Ruhle who is bright, engaging and totally in charge of her show.  She Knows Her Value.

• Love 7

I have been annoyed by this show on many occasions, but this was the first time that I was honestly, actually OFFENDED. Ms. Know Your Value is a complete waste of space and has ZERO credibility to discuss women's empowerment.

It's absolutely false to claim that an FBI investigation would turn up no new evidence. While memories around specific dates, times, places might be vague, Dr. Ford gave the Senate the names of TWO individuals who were at that party and can provide additional detail. And putting Kavanaugh's cohort under oath and forcing him to testify might prompt him to actually tell the truth (or maybe take the Fifth, which would be even more interesting).

I'm also totally offended with Joe and the gang blaming the Democrats for this. Dr. Ford requested confidentiality. We don't even know for sure if it was a Democratic staffer who leaked her name (just another wild conclusion Joe leaped to). It took time for her to gather her will and fortitude to come forward. Now she is getting death threats and has had to move out of her home. And these assholes won't even give her a couple of weeks to collect her thoughts and perhaps some corroborating details to make this a truly fair and impartial process?

This is a joke and this show is a joke and Joe and Mika are jokes. Susan DelPercio really disappointed me today as well. The only panelist who seemed to have any sense of fairness was Nick Confessore, who timidly raised some of the issues I pointed out above.

• Love 17
30 minutes ago, madfortv said:

There are still parts of MJ that I enjoy. Right now there is a long segment with Michael Moore and others. Joe and Mika are not there

That right there sums it up perfectly.  The only time I enjoy this show is when Dumb and Dumber are not there.  And by that I mean, not even in the Brady Bunch/Hollywood Squares kind of 'there'.  The fact that today's show went as well as it did while neither host was even there, speaks volumes. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, millennium said:

When Mika started mansplaining why Christine Blasey Ford has no right to ask for an FBI investigation, I remembered my value and switched the fucking show off.    

Who the hell is she or Scarborough to be claiming there's absolutely no way an FBI investigation could possibly turn up new facts?

Because that way Prof Ford can continue to be insulted and harangued and threatened and the GOP can put their political operative on the bench and move on.

You could see in Mimi Rocah's face she wanted to smack Mika and that GOP counsel woman so hard. 

When Mika said "this conversation is so fascinating" I lost it. No Mika it is not. It is insulting, and terrifying, and stupid.  Space travel is fascinating, genetic evolution is fascinating, the fact that you cannot grasp that Prof Ford deserves to have this matter investigated, not to file charges against Kavanaugh, (altho can he be charged with being a lying douchebag his entire life), but to show that this man should not be appointed to SCOTUS, and should probably be impeached from his current position. 

Everyone feels bad for Kavanaugh? I'm pretty sure he slept in his own bed last night. He didn't flee his home in terror. 

And maybe you should show the video of Kavanaugh at his alma mater's function in 2015 stating "what happens at Georgetown Prep, stays at Georgetown Prep".   I mean, who talks like that to teenage boys??! 

• Love 19

Apparently Meeks (KYV, champion of women) is waiting for more information as she tweeted this out earlier (please take a moment to read through the replies as they will make your day):

Please know yes this is a complicated/complex issue but if not for Nick Confessore, Dr. Ford's side would have been woefully underrepresented.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Everyone feels bad for Kavanaugh? I'm pretty sure he slept in his own bed last night. He didn't flee his home in terror. 

This whole situation makes me feel like I'm living among pod people.   Talking heads like Scarborough and Mika sit there and report that Professor Ford has had to relocate herself and her whole family due to death threats -- but they say it in tones suggesting this is not out of the ordinary, like "this is what she signed up for by coming forward."   I want to grab them and scream in their faces.    This is how far we've fallen, when no one is surprised or even particularly upset that a woman who confronts her would-be rapist is subjected to defamation and threats of violence and death.   

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, millennium said:

This whole situation makes me feel like I'm living among pod people.   Talking heads like Scarborough and Mika sit there and report that Professor Ford has had to relocate herself and her whole family due to death threats -- but they say it in tones suggesting this is not out of the ordinary, like "this is what she signed up for by coming forward."   I want to grab them and scream in their faces.    This is how far we've fallen, when no one is surprised or even particularly upset that a woman who confronts her would-be rapist is subjected to defamation and threats of violence and death.   

I’m old enough to remember Scarborough repeatedly freaking the fvck out over an NRA commercial where they said Mika’s name and flipped over an hour glass this past winter. 

• Love 3

Mika is being ripped to shreds on Twitter (I used the link above).   She truly put her foot in it this time.    

One woman nailed it when she wrote:

Mika's no friend to women. It's all an act. No way in hell she'd stand up for a woman if the men didn't give her express permission to do so.

Which was my exact thought this morning.   What she said was stupid and offensive, but what put me over the top was how she said it, in that rehearsed cadence of hers.   It was like she was performing for Scarborough's approval.   I wouldn't have been at all surprised if she had turned to him and said "Did I do good, baby?"

• Love 8
8 hours ago, cased said:

That is so disingenuous of Mika (who is conspicuously absent from the show today; I wonder why...)

Dr. Ford has not said she will not testify. She wants an investigation first so it does not become a he-said she-said circus. That is not unreasonable.

Now Elise is breaking my heart by blaming Democrats. Fuck this show.

• Love 7

In the fetal position, hopefully, rocking back and forth.

I lasted 11 minutes today.  As soon as Elise Jordan jumped on the "Republicans are bending over backwards, Democrats are bad" bandwagon, it was goodbye for me.

Scarborough could use some powder for his spray tan.   The glare off his face was formidable.

• Love 5