Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

I know we can't get into it here, but what exactly has Nancy Pelosi done to these people? Other than she's just red meat to conservatives.

JFC you'd think she dug up Ronald Reagan and took a dump on his skeletonized head. 

Joe for all your "I quite the GOP" bs, you're still a Republican, and you own Donald Trump, so I'd ease off on the Nancy Pelosi insults. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I know we xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, but what exactly has Nancy Pelosi done to these people?

A mystery for the ages.  I guess it's in the same column as "but her emails," and, "but she gave speeches to 'Wall Street'," and things in that vein.  She's a solid bureaucrat.  And... that's about it.  Just what you'd want from a career public official.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I know we can't get into it here, but what exactly has Nancy Pelosi done to these people? Other than she's just red meat to conservatives.

I don't know exactly what it is, but she has an annoying quality.

That, and she's an old woman.   

Edited by millennium
8 hours ago, millennium said:

You mean other than she's a woman, a Democrat, and the most successful Speaker of the House in many years? All qualities that drive Joe crazy. Did you know Joe was in Congress? The Speaker then, Newt Gingrich, resigned in shame. Didn't the Repubs have another one that resigned over the same Clinton hypocrisy - Richard Barr or something? Then they had Hastert who's now sitting in prison, and then Boehner who's sitting on his porch drinking himself to death, and even Joe's favorite, Paul Ryan, is resigning because he's so ineffectual and unsuccessful. Nancy Pelosi and her record of keeping her congress critters in order and getting all sorts of legislation passed make Joe's buddies look even more useless in comparison so no wonder he denigrates her at every opportunity.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I think the GOP-hatred escalated after she was instrumental in keeping the democrats together to pass the ACA.  GOP didn't want to budget to help the average citizen, even if it's healthcare.  They drool everytime it looks like they can lessen the social programs or remove regulations that safeguard the average citizen.   Afterall, they have to save their policies for the wealthy.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, crossover said:

GOP didn't want to budget to help the average citizen, even if it's healthcare.  They drool everytime it looks like they can lessen the social programs or remove regulations that safeguard the average citizen.   Afterall, they have to save their policies for the wealthy.

That about sums up the Rs  in three sentences.  ???

Regarding today's show (and it's only 30 minutes in)  -  The difference between what Meek-a offers to the discussion as opposed to what every single other woman contributes is gob-smacking.   She adds absolutely nothing of substance.  If I didn't loathe her so much I'd actually be embarrassed for her, since she's too self-absorbed with her own "celebrity" to connect those dots.  To quote a man who knows about these things, she is stunningly superficial.

• Love 5

Line of the day from Sam Stein - “Is this what we’re really talking about today?” as the show degenerated into a discussion not of news or even Joe’s usual baseball or soccer but why Phish fans don’t like  Dave Matthews. So much political news but Joe pulls focus to this stuff. I’m not sure if he thinks he’s cool or funny but what he’s not is interesting. I’d rather watch a Law & Order rerun. 

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, may flowers said:

Line of the day from Sam Stein - “Is this what we’re really talking about today?” as the show degenerated into a discussion not of news or even Joe’s usual baseball or soccer but why Phish fans don’t like  Dave Matthews. So much political news but Joe pulls focus to this stuff. I’m not sure if he thinks he’s cool or funny but what he’s not is interesting. I’d rather watch a Law & Order rerun. 

I love Sam Stein, he's the only reason I am watching today.   My favorite Stein line was the time they forgot to cut to him for an entire segment and Mika sarcastically said oh did we forgot poor Sam and he said I don't care, I get paid either way . . . the silence was delicious!

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Mika sarcastically said oh did we forgot poor Sam and he said I don't care, I get paid either way

You have perfectly summed up Mika's daily demeanor!!   She gets paid either way:  Speak intelligently with words/ideas of substance = $$$$.  Or, sit there like a dumb-ass, pursing your lips, making goo goo eyes at your boyfriend = $$$$.   She makes no effort whatsoever since she "gets paid either way".

• Love 3

I have hated Dave Matthews from day one, and I am not a Phish fan.   And yes, I think it's Scarborough's attempt to appear retro-cool.  Newsflash: if you sit at a desk wearing a tie, you are not cool in any way.

This is just a pet peeve but it drives me nuts the way he interrupts any discussion to bullshit about the latest "guy" movie, as if there's some esteem that goes with having seen it the day after it comes out and he wants everybody to know.     

• Love 5

Maybe it’s August but while there is no shortage of news, it seems they are bored with the news, indignation, uproar and nothing changes.  Rince and repeat every week for the last year.   There was a glimmer of an interesting segment on the difference between traditional crimes and crimes carried out in full view on internet/SM but they did it v superficially.  

When I first started listening to MJ a year ago, it seemed a revelation. We didn’t have anything in the UK that covers politics in this depth or investigative journalists who appear to challenge politicians and the perceived political wisdom.  I don’t see the video but it’s always obvious when they are in separate studios and it seems to be more the norm in 2018 than in 2017.   The show is disjointed and the interviews always unsatisfactory and perfunctory.  

Joe has become more attention seeking and his constant reliving of his greatest hits have become annoying, even though I had to look him up to know who he was.  He’s so easily bored and his self centredness means everything is done to Joe’s level of superficiality.  The show is better when he’s not there. 

Mika is so much better when she’s on her own.  Otherwise she is is dialling it in and has been left with women’s issues in a 1990s sort of way.  I’m listening to her women in politics segment now.   She is the Stepford Wife in the MSNBC line up of sassy women.  She also seems to be doing more one word/noise interjections than before.   She is audibly sighing in this interview.  There is v little energy in her voice now.  

Willie seemed to be the stabilising anchor but oh so bland .... until I watched the Tucker/Geist video.  I’m not sure I’ll listen to Willie in same way in the future. 

Having said all that, I still enjoy to listening and it gives me a perspective on US culture.  And the characters are more interesting than in the UK.  

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, novhappy said:

So over these guys today. 

Yep it is very "bro-ish" today isn't it?  And Joe is apparently going to run this band thing into the dirt (even Jonah Goldberg who started this in the first place is a bit perplexed).

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, novhappy said:

So over these guys today. 

Just today?  ?

4 minutes ago, Woodman said:

She is the Stepford Wife in the MSNBC line up of sassy women.

I ? you for this description!  Stepford Wife!  Sassy women!  ?

• Love 1

Was there ever a time this show covered stories that did not connect to Trump?

For example, what about the missing girl Mollie Tibbetts out in Iowa?   It's big news and an interesting story, but doesn't exist in MJ world.

? WTF was that?

Joe: This is how I spent my Spring Break in 1993, watching Cspan.

Clip with 1993 displayed prominently.

Mika: So this is how you spent your Spring Break in ..... (looks up at the ceiling) ..... 1993?

And now this throwback segment is over?

DRINK! Did you know Joe was in Congress?

Wait. We are supposed to be learning about Russian Bots and Joe is making us listen to more financial debt and big government whining. 

Edited by XOQueens
  • Love 3

What was the article/announcement that preceded their discussion of popular music, IE GooGoo Dolls, Sugar Sugar.  Did some "Top 100 Songs of All time" article come out?

There was a glimmer of an interesting segment on the difference between traditional crimes and crimes carried out in full view on internet/SM but they did it v superficially.  

I don't understand how some Republican senator doing insider trading gets added to the claim that Trumps Admin. is corrupt.  Plenty of Congressmen on both sides are corrupt and it happened b4 Trump came in.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Don't understand how some Republican senator doing insider trading gets added to the claim that Trumps Admin. is corrupt.  Plenty of Congressmen on both sides are corrupt and it happened b4 Trump came in.

He was one of the first in Congress to endorse Trump, and spoke at the GOP convention.  He's a huge Trump supporter, defends everything he does re Russia.  That's how he gets lumped in with him.  Kinda like East Coast version of Nunes. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

What was the article/announcement that preceded their discussion of popular music, IE GooGoo Dolls, Sugar Sugar.  Did some "Top 100 Songs of All time" article come out?

I don't understand how some Republican senator doing insider trading gets added to the claim that Trumps Admin. is corrupt.  Plenty of Congressmen on both sides are corrupt and it happened b4 Trump came in.

He was the first member of Congress to support Trump and he's been a Trump ally. I think that's the connection.

• Love 3

I wondered how long it would take for Mika to say "Know Your Value" when she interviewed the Muslim woman from Michigan who won her primary.

She is so predictable.  Hey Mika, I got a good deal on my new car, should I write you a thank you note?  Fuck off. 

1 hour ago, millennium said:

I have hated Dave Matthews from day one, and I am not a Phish fan.

I like a couple Dave Matthews songs, Gravedigger is one of my faves (I know, morbid but it's a great song). If you don't like Phish stay away from Katy Tur, she will not shut up about them. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

They actually mentioned the Goo Goo Dolls?  

Johnny Rzeznick, guitarist and vocalist for the Goo Goo Dolls, was once asked if he had any regrets.   He said, "Yeah.  Choosing the name Goo Goo Dolls."

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, millennium said:

Was there ever a time this show covered stories that did not connect to Trump?

For example, what about the missing girl Mollie Tibbetts out in Iowa?   It's big news and an interesting story, but doesn't exist in MJ world.

I feel like they used to have breaks where the rest of the news was covered. But I could be wrong. Always a political show. When they took over from Imus it was a relief to me cuz of the disgusting frat atmosphere of that show. This is still better than that!

• Love 2

I haven't truly watched this show in years, due to Joe being insufferable and Mika being Mika. Have been listening to the podcast in the morning recently and it really is something else. It's more spoofish than SNL. Kate McKinnon's Mika, which I had thought was over the top, is actually not broad enough. Jeez. Her sighing and over-emoting is painful. 

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

They did but I'm still waiting for an early viewer to tell us why they started down that entire old song riff.

Johnny Reznick had the best hair..

If you want a chuckle, check out the Goo Goo Dolls on Sesame Street singing with Elmo.  They do a version of "Slide," except they change it to "Pride" for Elmo.   Probably the abortion theme of the song wouldn't have gone over well with the mom/toddler demographic.

• Love 1

@MorningJoe tweeted the playlist this morning,  yeah we know those bands, what's the big deal?   I guess they're happy they changed it up from the tired ass stuff they've been playing for the last 10 years. 

Kasie asking "are the GooGoo Dolls cool".  Kasie you are on the worst panel possible for finding an arbiter of cool. 

A bunch of  middle aged white guys and Mika Brzezinski. Seriously?   

How long before there's a Lip Sync battle with Joe,  Ari Melber and Katy Tur.  God help us. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 4

God now she's asking if Dave Matthews is cool.

Who cares?  Music taste is subjective. What one person likes isn't relevant to what someone else enjoys. 

Go back to interviewing lame ass members of Congress and wearing your white blazer, Kasie or we'll take away your lightning bolt. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 6

I used to think Joe’s IDGAF-ness was just about the show. Now, I think, Joe is just a chronic half-asser. 

Law career - cut short, got bored. 

First marriage - divorce, rumored cheating. Cut short, got bored.

Congress - did you know he was in Congress? Anyway, he apparently had a horrible case of hardly ever showing up. Cut short, got bored.

Second marriage - divorce, rumored cheating. Cut short, got bored. 

Scarbrough (the band) - big ol’ Sony Deal to release an EP a month out of the hundreds of songs he has written. Cut short, we all got bored.

Is Morning Joe the longest he’s ever stuck with anything?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, XOQueens said:

Is Morning Joe the longest he’s ever stuck with anything?

And that's only becos he was bangin' the co host.  Don't wanna miss out on that sweet stick up her butt Mika Luv. 

3 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

And that's only becos he was bangin' the co host.  Don't wanna miss out on that sweet stick up her butt Mika Luv. 

When I first read this I inserted “it” between “stick” and “up” and I will send my therapy bills to you. ? 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Fair enough, but the right wing is defending him and laying this at the feet of a politicized police force and politically biased media.  It's of a part of the Trump defense mechanism where everything is a contorted conspiracy and crimes are not crimes unless Hillary Clinton.  The left wing threw Al Franken out of office for perceived whiff of impropriety... btw... has he been tried yet for all the crimes he committed and sued yet for all the claims against him?  No?  No way!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

They did but I'm still waiting for an early viewer to tell us why they started down that entire old song riff.

Johnny Reznick had the best hair..

IMO Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder had the best hair....

The old song riff started because Jonah Goldberg posted a tweet that said “Name a band you’re not supposed to take seriously but love anyway. I’ll go first: The Monkees.” Joe had replied to that with The Carpenters and he opened the show talking about it and the day was immediately derailed with a five minute discussion about it. Even Goldberg was bemused by Joe’s focus on it. 

Edited by may flowers
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, may flowers said:

Twenty minutes in and the ratio of sounds to words from Mika seems to be 25:1.

Ha!  I think she’s spoken more in this segment than in the whole show yesterday though.  

Wait, what?  WHAT?  They are trying to spin their shameless behavior with Trump into he tried to recruit us into being sycophants like the hosts on Fox News' evening line up but we said no?  Oh that is rich.

• Love 5

They showed Laura Ingraham being disgusting, then they showed... wait for it... RONALD REAGAN, because of course, in speeches and slow motion B rolls and then we get a split screen of Joe slobbing Reagan's knob and Mika sitting in her split screen doing literally nothing.  Until Joe stops talking and she kicks it to commercial. 
Sorry it's not 1982, Joe.

• Love 3

then they showed... wait for it... RONALD REAGAN, because of course, in speeches and slow motion B rolls and then we get a split screen of Joe slobbing Reagan's knob 

During my entire commute I was imagining how I'd come in and talk about how apparently on MJ, today was National Give Reagan a Handjob Day. Lord above--it went on and on.

edited to add: at 8:59 they feel they needed to close the show by giving Reagan another suckup. Susan Del Percio gets all misty eyed about the Ronnie clips--"this is why I became a Republican."  YUCKKKKKKKK

At 8:50 they show vastly unflattering close ups of Nancy Pelosi. 

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:

Wait, what?  WHAT?  They are trying to spin their shameless behavior with Trump into he tried to recruit us into being sycophants like the hosts on Fox News' evening line up but we said no?  Oh that is rich.

But hey, it works for tRump to say that up is down, black is white.  JoMeeka figure, let's try that too.  Their miscalculation is in the fact that we're critical thinking, fact-based viewers, not sheeple, like Faux fans.  We believe what we've seen and heard with our own eyes and ears, not what we're told to believe. 

I nearly choked on my coffee when she came out with that little gem.  What I remember from the campaign days is MJ having Orange Foolius on nearly every damn day via phone, laughing and joking with him, basking in the reflected "glory" of his supposed celebrity, giving him a platform to spew his lies on a regular basis, all the while taking swipes at Hillary.  You know, Mika - Hillary Clinton.  A woman who Knows Her Value.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:

(poor weepy Meeks

I get the feeling Mika happened to see Rachel Maddow get choked up the night she read the breaking news at the end of her show that babies, like actual babies, not toddlers or little children but babies,  were being taken from their parents and sent away. This was an actual human moment, as she was reading a breaking story that had just been handed to her. 

Mika saw how the viewers reacted to this moment, in that Rachel is a person, who like her politics or not, phony she is not.  Now Mika has decided that "when all else fails, pretend to cry". 

Problem with this little scheme, Mika, is that you are about as phony as they come, and no one buys your bullshit.  

• Love 5

They showed Laura Ingraham being disgusting, then they showed... wait for it... RONALD REAGAN, because of course, in speeches and slow motion B rolls and then we get a split screen of Joe slobbing Reagan's knob and Mika sitting in her split screen doing literally nothing.  Until Joe stops talking and she kicks it to commercial. 
Sorry it's not 1982, Joe.

Yeah, because when you're trying to show an opposing view by a U.S. president to racism, of course the first person you think of is Reagan. ;-/

I had to turn it off because I was so tired of the celebration of St. Reagan.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, teddysmom said:

are you sure it's a stick?

21 hours ago, XOQueens said:

When I first read this I inserted “it” between “stick” and “up” and I will send my therapy bills to you. ? 

GMTA

• Love 1
1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

During my entire commute I was imagining how I'd come in and talk about how apparently on MJ, today was National Give Reagan a Handjob Day. Lord above--it went on and on.

edited to add: at 8:59 they feel they needed to close the show by giving Reagan another suckup. Susan Del Percio gets all misty eyed about the Ronnie clips--"this is why I became a Republican."  YUCKKKKKKKK

At 8:50 they show vastly unflattering close ups of Nancy Pelosi. I'm waiting for "Lock up Nancy Pelosi!"

Yeah, I don't get it.   The Reagan years overshadowed almost all of my twenties.   I never thought of him as anything but an actor in clown makeup reciting smarmy drivel.  

• Love 5