Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
12 minutes ago, General Days said:

Was the white haired guy Hugh Hewitt? I only caught maybe the last hour and wasn't caffeinated for the first half of that. Hewitt is an echo-chamber radio host. He was also a never Trumper until he was a cheerleader. 

Yes, it was him. I read somewhere that he might get an MSNBC show (weekend, I think). Not sure how accurate the report was.

Edited by cased

During the Lindsay Graham interview I noticed that Mika was cleaning Joe's glasses. Maybe she was practicing her domestic duties for when she becomes Mrs Scarborough. 

• Love 10

I loved the look on Nicole's face while Hewitt spewed his BS.  You know she was thinking "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING?"

I would love Joy or Katy Tur to get him to come on their shows and say that shit again. 

He's really going after Halperin in the "Who's a bigger smug asshole" run off.   Could we have a new winner? 

• Love 3

Earth to Mika.  Stop asking, in your whiney voice, "where are Jared and Ivanka"?  Who cares.  They're probably selling visas to Chinese investors.

Everyone feels sorry for Sarah Huckabee Sanders? Let's see, she's out prostituting herself for trump.

• Love 7

Everyone feels sorry for Sarah Huckabee Sanders? Let's see, she's out prostituting herself for trump.

Feels sorry for her?  She's runner up in the smug asshole contest.  

• Love 9
(edited)
5 hours ago, oakville said:

It's very confusing because Democrats wanted Comey fired until he was fired. GOP praised Comey for going after Hillary. Now Trump fires him?

What's confusing about Democrats not wanting to be lied to ? Everyone knows republicans don't give a fuck about Hillary as evidenced in their questioning of Yates.

Edited by Drumpf1737
  • Love 9
(edited)

Mika made many faces as Huckabee Sanders droned her answers. It was funny to watch. Huckabee Sanders should try suppressing her constant smirky smile, because it does her no favors, instead it makes her seem like it's all a joke. How did she get that job? Oh yeah, her slimy, hypocritical preacher man daddy must have begged Trump to hire her. 

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 7

Maybe Huckabee-Sanders might have gotten her job through daddy but right now in the press conference about the firing she is doing a good job. I think she is better at it than Spicer.

Mika comes off as incredibly unprofessional when she makes faces and even at Joe (though I agree with her all the time when it comes to Joe).

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, rcc said:

Maybe Huckabee-Sanders might have gotten her job through daddy but right now in the press conference about the firing she is doing a good job. I think she is better at it than Spicer.

That's a pretty low bar IMO.  She's just standing there reading stuff.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, stormy said:

I hate the Stockholm Syndrome that this show exhibits. A few days ago they all expressed sympathy for Sean Spicer - "he's a nice guy who used to have a great reputation in DC." Yeah, such a nice guy. Ask April Ryan. As Maya Angelou said, when someone shows you who they are - believe them.

It's unfortunately a function of the revolving door of politics. These guys all go from the government to TV gigs to PR firms back to government (repeat cycle) so needless to say they're all friends after 5pm.

As for Mrs. Sanders, google her, she's never had a real job, just worked for her dad, this was a favor Trump did because Huckabee pere supported him. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I don't understand all the derision this show gets.  Sure, Scarborough's smarmy and loud but that's his schtick.   And what or whose standard is Mika supposed to live up to?   She's a sidekick, that's her role.   She takes a lot of hits about her appearance but she dresses like many women my age.  Not a look that I find appealing myself (an outfit shouldn't be built around a scarf, IMHO) but it's not outlandish or anything.

Although I have never been a fan of Scarborough, I appreciate this show and its panel because they seem willing to rise above party affiliations.   Their reactions seem more in line with reasonable human beings.   It's not the skin-deep objectivity of CNN, or the self-assured superiority of Maddow and O'Donnell, or the loathsome toadiness of Fox.   They strike me more like people I know and respect in real life, who right now are asking themselves "WTF?"

• Like 1
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, stormy said:

Everyone feels sorry for Sarah Huckabee Sanders?

I don't feel sorry for any of these folks whose job it is to spin the unspinnable.  They weren't drafted, they CHOSE to do this. BTW, why is SHS just the "deputy" press secretary, she's a much better liar than Spicer, and seems to get the talking points out without getting tongue tied or choking on her own bullshit.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, millennium said:

It's not the skin-deep objectivity of CNN, or the self-assured superiority of Maddow and O'Donnell, or the loathsome toadiness of Fox.

The thing is, these people have been all of the above, sometimes more than one in a single episode. Morning Joe has proven to be best for me in small doses. I seriously overdosed during the latter months of the election when I was able to watch the show in its entirety, every day.

Re: hits about her appearance. I think she used to focus more on fashion pre-2016, and I miss that. I know that she wants to be more than a pretty face in a fashionable ensemble, but one of the things I appreciated her attention to her wardrobe. I felt the same way about Katie Couric. I'm shallow like that. ;-D

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, jazzpno said:

I don't feel sorry for any of these folks whose job it is to spin the unspinnable.  They weren't drafted, they CHOSE to do this. BTW, why is SHS just the "deputy" press secretary, she's a much better liar than Spicer, and seems to get the talking points out without getting tongue tied or choking on her own bullshit.

She's probably going to get cushy jobs with conservative media outlets after her tenure in the Trump administration.

If the administration isn't a total disaster and they don't offend too many media, she might have a shot like Nicole Wallace to get jobs with the MSM.

3 hours ago, millennium said:

I don't understand all the derision this show gets.  Sure, Scarborough's smarmy and loud but that's his schtick.   And what or whose standard is Mika supposed to live up to?   She's a sidekick, that's her role.   She takes a lot of hits about her appearance but she dresses like many women my age.  Not a look that I find appealing myself (an outfit shouldn't be built around a scarf, IMHO) but it's not outlandish or anything.

Although I have never been a fan of Scarborough, I appreciate this show and its panel because they seem willing to rise above party affiliations.   Their reactions seem more in line with reasonable human beings.   It's not the skin-deep objectivity of CNN, or the self-assured superiority of Maddow and O'Donnell, or the loathsome toadiness of Fox.   They strike me more like people I know and respect in real life, who right now are asking themselves "WTF?"

I do appreciate that both Joe and Mika are willing to criticize their party sometimes. That's the primary reason that I watch the show.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, cased said:

I do appreciate that both Joe and Mika are willing to criticize their party sometimes. That's the primary reason that I watch the show.

I appreciate this too. I enjoyed today's show immensely. I stopped listening to the podcast back in November post-election because of how Joe would constantly go on and on about how right he was about Trump winning. He just can't help himself - he needs to feel like he's part of the action, especially as someone who is no longer in the thick of things as a rep.

Since I would exclusively listen to the podcast, Joe's vocal tics really boiled my bunny after a while too. I hated when it would take. him. a. year. to. get. out. a. sentence.

I very much enjoyed Joe's shining moment about a year or so ago when he straight up hung up on Donald Trump during an interview. That moment belongs in the MJ Hall of Fame.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

She's probably going to get cushy jobs with conservative media outlets after her tenure in the Trump administration.

If the administration isn't a total disaster and they don't offend too many media, she might have a shot like Nicole Wallace to get jobs with the MSM.

She's doomed for Fox like her big dumb father. I don't share Nicolle's political leanings and I still resent her role in unleashing Palin on us, but I don't begrudge that she is intelligent, and has a pleasant demeanor. Huckabee has neither going for her.

Believe it or not, she is not the most objectionable person in that family. Her brother hanged a stray dog for "fun" (as an adult.) They are a disgusting family.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

Any panel, on any day, without Joe is worth watching. A morning without Joe means that people will be able to complete their thoughts and finish their sentences. A morning without Joe means that we won't have to listen to him reliving his Long Ago Glory Days in Congress while touting his nebulous communications with national and international "insiders." I think hanging up on Trump was a stunt intended to wave away the free air time they were providing daily and I think the three of them were in on it. Joe and Mika majorly miscalculated their value - they thought providing free air time every damn day would be to their benefit but it turned out that Trump used them and they received nothing in return. The exclusive interviews have gone to others. Mika cultivated Ivanka and Joe cultivated Jared, to no avail. The exclusive access has gone to others. Joe's bucket was quite heavy for awhile because he was not only carrying water for Trump but also for Jared (Steve Bannon and Steve Miller). Even now, even after the snubs, they would do it again if given the opportunity - because they are that desperate to "matter." There is no pretense of objectivity because they have a history of adopting and promoting candidates who go nowhere (but even a blind pig finds the occasional truffle).

• Love 8

I haven't watched this show in 5 months because I found Mika so annoying.  I tuned it on Monday and realized she is even worse.   She talks and makes facial gyrations when others are speaking.  I find it very disrespectful.  She constantly mumbles her stupid uninteresting comments when someone else is talking.  They should tape her mouth shut so she isn't such a distraction.  Mika, know YOUR worth.........ZERO!  She is an insult to women.  Please allow one of the zillion professional women to be a regular contributor instead.  I don't care if she is Joe's girlfriend; she needs to be replaced.

• Love 6

I'm with you Showwatcher. I happened to watch one morning, a few months ago, and Joe told her, "Mika, you don't have to say everything that comes into your mind." I usually get annoyed with Blowhard Joe but I was on his side that day - she needs to learn to STOP THAT! It's the main reason I don't watch anymore - I just come here and read about it.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Feels sorry for her?  She's runner up in the smug asshole contest.  

.....she looked like she slept in her clothes and just rolled out of bed.  So unprofessional.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Drumpf1737 said:

What's confusing about Democrats not wanting to be lied to ? Everyone knows republicans don't give a fuck about Hillary as evidenced in their questioning of Yates.

It's true that the GOP doesn't care about Hillary, but why aren't they celebrating that Comey is gone. Perhaps the next FBI Director will be more professional & not try to get involved in elections. Halperin was shocked in July 2016 when Comey didn't stay quiet after no charges were laid against Hillary. He had the press conference because he was worried that Lynch would sweep the investigation under the carpet. It made Lynch look bad. He also turned the Lynch-Clinton tarmac summit over Grandkids into a shady plot of quid pro quo.

9 hours ago, suomi said:

Any panel, on any day, without Joe is worth watching. A morning without Joe means that people will be able to complete their thoughts and finish their sentences. A morning without Joe means that we won't have to listen to him reliving his Long Ago Glory Days in Congress while touting his nebulous communications with national and international "insiders." I think hanging up on Trump was a stunt intended to wave away the free air time they were providing daily and I think the three of them were in on it. Joe and Mika majorly miscalculated their value - they thought providing free air time every damn day would be to their benefit but it turned out that Trump used them and they received nothing in return. The exclusive interviews have gone to others. Mika cultivated Ivanka and Joe cultivated Jared, to no avail. The exclusive access has gone to others. Joe's bucket was quite heavy for awhile because he was not only carrying water for Trump but also for Jared (Steve Bannon and Steve Miller). Even now, even after the snubs, they would do it again if given the opportunity - because they are that desperate to "matter." There is no pretense of objectivity because they have a history of adopting and promoting candidates who go nowhere (but even a blind pig finds the occasional truffle).

I could not have said thi better myself. Kudos Suomi !

• Love 1

Thursday  Recap. Joe is in the Bunker wearing a suit. Mika is on set in her navy blue top. Mika is mad at Trump & everyone associated with Trump. They had a serious open & didn't joke around with Barnicle. We have to take "legendary" Barnicle seriously today.

Joe is mad at Rosenstein for going along with Trump. The memo was written after Trump decided to fire Comey. Comey wants more money to investigate Trump's ties to Russia. Trump got mad. Trump wants the investigatio stopped.

Joe is shouting about a constitutional crisis. You can't obstruct justice. Sessions is supposed to have recused himself from the Russia investigation.

Joe is mad at Huckabee Sanders for lying yesterday.

Joe said the GOP should revolt against Trump. They will lose in 2018 unless they listen to Joe.

Mika called it a failed Presidency. Mika is mad that she had to stay up all last night consoling Joe who was shouting at everybody yesterday.

Joe's hair is very puffy today. He needs to put his hairdryer on a lower setting.

Joe is mad at Pence for not fighting back against Trump.

Joe was mad at the pizza delivery guy last night. There were not enough green peppers on the pizza. Joe said pizza tasted better when he was in Congress.

Mika is mad at everyone for not stopping Trump. Mika is mad at Ivanka, Jared everyone. Mika wants Trump out.

• Love 4

Doesn't this show have hair/makeup/image people?

I'm watching Nancy Gibbs from Time right now. Half of what she's saying ( and it's good stuff) is getting lost in what I'm seeing. That scarf OR that necklace, but Lordy, not both.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, TVForever said:

Doesn't this show have hair/makeup/image people?

I'm watching Nancy Gibbs from Time right now. Half of what she's saying ( and it's good stuff) is getting lost in what I'm seeing. That scarf OR that necklace, but Lordy, not both.

The woman has no chin.

I don't think guests get wardrobe help, that would be weird.  I'm sure makeup helps out guests who ask.  It's a TV show, so how you appear is extremely important.  You just know Rattner is showing up with a chocolate milk mustache every single morning and they clean him up.
Remember that middle-aged political correspondent from MTV who wore a silk bomber jacket and super tight ripped jeans on MSNBC all day like a year ago? 

• Love 2

I could do without Joe's frequent harping that Trump is a "lifelong" Democrat - I think Trump's registration records show that he has been a registered Democrat but switched around among parties including Independent parties for the past twenty years - as if it is the Democrats' fault. The GOP bought what this guy was selling. Now they own it.

Today's show reminds me of the shows of late summer when they clearly thought Trump was doomed and couldn't run away fast enough from him, and so we were treated with hours-long harangues about how Trump disrespected Judge Curiel etc. 

I do appreciate them calling out Huckabee Sanders as a liar. There's actually a quasi-glowing review of her in the Washington Post. Eyeroll.

Lol on the Ana Marie Cox throwback. Reminds me of Poochie from the Simpsons, i.e. a middle-aged person's idea of what is "cool."

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

I could do without Joe's frequent harping that Trump is a "lifelong" Democrat - I think Trump's registration records show that he has been a registered Democrat but switched around among parties including Independent parties for the past twenty years - as if it is the Democrats' fault. The GOP bought what this guy was selling. Now they own it.

Agreed. I do agree with Joe's overall point that Trump is not a real Republican, and that he has hijacked the Republican party, but calling him a lifelong Democrat is not correct.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Of course, Ana Marie Cox!  For some reason I was thinking it was a male MTV correspondent.

Yes!. She's reminds of Peggy Noonan because her eyes are always closed when she talks.

6 hours ago, stormy said:

Joe says everyone lies, including Mike Pence.  If Joe was in congress, would he be this sanctimonious?

Very good question. It would be nice to review Joe's track record in Congress. Did he ever sponsor any useful legislation?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Today's show reminds me of the shows of late summer when they clearly thought Trump was doomed and couldn't run away fast enough from him, and so we were treated with hours-long harangues about how Trump disrespected Judge Curiel etc. 

I do appreciate them calling out Huckabee Sanders as a liar. There's actually a quasi-glowing review of her in the Washington Post. Eyeroll.

Lol on the Ana Marie Cox throwback. Reminds me of Poochie from the Simpsons, i.e. a middle-aged person's idea of what is "cool."

Bingo!. Mika & Joe are going overboard with their attacks on Trump. They went back on the Trump train after the election.

Joe will freak out if the GOP doesn't lose the House in 2018. It's way too soon to make those type of predictions. haven't they learned anything after 2014 & 2016?

• Love 1

A transcript from the May 11 Morning Joe segment is below: 

Morning Joe

5/11/17

MIKA BRZEZINSKI: There are no measuring forces in the white house. Not one. And, John Heilemann, can you name one? If there were to be one I would think it might be on the foreign policy team, but I don't think they have that direct day-to-day access. It's not Jared. It's not Ivanka. It's not Reince. It's certainly not Sean Spicer. We all, I think, agree Steve Bannon might even add more casualties to this situation. Who is the person who is going to help this president get this ship back on track?

I personally think it's over. I don't think there's anything that can be done that can stop this at this point. This cacophony, this gushing of lies, problems, questions, chaos that will stop its presidency in its tracks because they won't be able to get anything else done and tomorrow there will be something new. And tomorrow there will be something new. There was always more chaos on the horizon.

JOHN HEILEMANN: I think its fair to say that over the course of the campaign that he ran and the presidency now, there have been moments when this person or that person has been able to restrain the president, to pull him back from the edge. But never for very long, never in a durable way. So, when you ask that question at this moment, I can't name a person --

BRZEZINSKI: You can't name one.

HEILEMANN: -- That has been in any consistent way effective at restraining his impulses. If think if you look at the totality of what the reporting -- the exceptional reporting by basically -- we've been on an incredible tear with ""The Wall Street journal," "The New York Times," "The Washington Post," doing amazing work since the start of this administration and if you take the collective information that they've brought up in the last 36 hours, along with NBC news and others, there's a picture that's very clear. There is a cover-up going on.

BRZEZINSKI: There is a cover-up going on. Say it again.

HEILEMANN: That has to be the premise of all our reporting going forward.

BRZEZINSKI: Yes.

HEILEMANN: At this moment we don't know what is being covered up. That is still a huge question. How big it is? Who it goes to? Is it financial, is it personal, does it involve the president himself or just his associates? We don't know. This administration and this campaign in Russia, everything that they are doing gives the clear appearance of people who are trying to cover stuff up, lie about things and they are doing it with extraordinary ineptitude. And so, to the point that you raise, Mika, whatever their objectives have been about trying to end this, I think Mark made this point early this morning, they've only exacerbated their problems.

This is now -- they have made the situation infinitely worse for themselves, in terms of the level of tension on this, the level of scrutiny, the number of people whose reputations are at stake, the number of Republicans who now feel–are eventually going to feel that they can't go on with this anymore purely out of tribal loyalty. This is a precipitating moment. I don't know if you're right, that this will bring the whole thing crashing down. But, If it does, if we end up there, this will be the moment that caused the entire thing in the end, to fall apart.

• Love 3
(edited)

From Trump's new TIME interview:

For instance I don’t watch CNN. I don’t watch MSNBC. Scarborough used to treat me great. But because I don’t do interviews and stuff and want to … He went the other way. Which is fine. He’s got some problems. But I don’t watch the show anymore. It drives him crazy. I don’t watch the show.

If Trump says he doesn't watch you, you must be doing something right.

Kudos to Scarborough for unflinchingly expressing what are certain to be unpopular opinions and a point of view that will probably cost him GOP viewers.   He was spot on this morning (the 11th), and also in his comments phoned in to the Andrea Mitchell show about the Lester Holt interview.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3

Friday recap. Joe is still in the bunker. Mika is on set with her sweater& white top underneath. Mika will be speaking to the Librarians of New Canaan Connecticut later today. Joe continues to rant about all of Trump's lies.

If you shout in a Bunker, who will hear you?

Mika called CNN, Politics Porn. She wants them to ban Kelly An Conway. Mika is opposed to liars. Mika feels it is her job to tell all networks who they can book as a guest or not. Mika said they are on ratings crack. LOL! This show was on Trump crack for 18 months. I hope other networks can call in & ban Barnicle & Ford Jr who bring nothing to the show other than Red Sox tickets

Heilemann wants Rosenstein to appoint a Special Prosecutor to investigate Trump.

• Love 3

This is political porn.  It's hard to believe this is all really happening.  Trump is a bigger fucking idiot than I imagined.
I'm going to give MSNBC and other news outlets that breathlessly cover his incompetence my eyeballs, ear, clicks, and money constantly so they don't let up until he's and all his disgusting cronies are brought down.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, stormy said:

Did they run the Lester Holt interview?  Because MSNBC has shown it ad nauseum.

Yes! Trump said he had decided to fire Comey before the attorney general recommended it. 

Mika made me laugh when she said that the medi & The left can't get ahead of their skis over Yrump because they have bee n wrong about him since June 2015.

mika & joe love to complain about Trumps optics being wrong.

What happens if the investigation turns up nothing? 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Landsnark said:

This is political porn.  It's hard to believe this is all really happening.  Trump is a bigger fucking idiot than I imagined.
I'm going to give MSNBC and other news outlets that breathlessly cover his incompetence my eyeballs, ear, clicks, and money constantly so they don't let up until he's and all his disgusting cronies are brought down.

It's ironic to hear Meek-a chastising CNN for booking the Crypt Mistress.  She and Joe--and this network--indulged in their own form of politics porn/ratings crack by giving Drumpf a/k/a John Barron a daily platform.  They breathlessly covered his journey to Capitol Hill as if he were some foreign potentate.  They were practically riding his jock after that infamous summons to Trump Tower last September.  As recently as New Year's Eve, they were socializing--not working--with Drumpf at Mess-a-Lago at that fabulous party.

If the subject matter weren't so serious, it would be downright understandable to burst into laughter every time they go on one of their self-righteous rants.  Hearing Joe refer to the so-called POTUS as behaving like a thug is its own form of politics porn and ratings crack.  Keep it up, you two.  It's been hilarious watching you try to put the horse back into the barn after you helped to let him out.  

IIRC, as recently as a few weeks ago, Joe and Meek-a were back on the Drumpf wagon, gushing about his "toughness" because he ordered the bombing of a Syrian airfield at the behest of his little Czarina.  I do have to applaud them for basically giving up the ghost on waiting for that elusive pivot.  

Edited by MulletorHater
  • Love 4

Mika admitted to Vanity Fair last week that Trump offered to officiate at their wedding at the White Houseor Mar a Largo. That does not sound like an Independent journalist.

Mika & Joe are acting like spoiled brats. They should acknowledge that they are addicted to power & ratings

Trump told Time Magszine that Joe was upset at him for not getting exclusive interviews.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Landsnark said:

This is political porn.

FWIW, I wrote that before Mika used the exact same phrase, albeit negatively, on the show.  I was super proud of myself and thought I'd coined a clever little bon mot.  :(

• Love 2

Mika lecturing other networks on how to cover Trump is just rife with hypocrisy and she's not self aware enough to see it. Interestingly, she named the WH communications officers and the VP as people who can't be trusted, but Trump was inexplicably left out. I can't take her seriously. 

• Love 4