Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, sleekandchic said:

Jake Sherman from Politico tweeted that Nicolle Wallace is getting her own show on MSNBC @4pm ET.  I believe she's the MJ guest that oakville calls Cackles.

Cackles getting her own show is surprising. I guess MSNBC wants to get more moderate GOP viewers. I haven't seen her in months and I don't miss her at all. It's remarkable how quickly the roster changes at cable news networks since the election 

Cackles getting her own show is surprising. I guess MSNBC wants to get more moderate GOP viewers. I haven't seen her in months and I don't miss her at all. It's remarkable how quickly the roster changes at cable news networks since the election 

Now if they would can Greta.  Between her voice and her interview skills, I can't change the channel fast enough. 

4pm is when the Fox News crowd is getting ready to go to dinner, I guess they want something on the tv in the dining room. 

• Love 5

Cackles has been subbing for Brian Williams the past week and actually does a decent job. I'm still wary of her given her past with Palin, and I'm not sure she's ever had any real journalism job - I think she went straight into political hackery straight from college. So I wish they would stop giving jobs to people who haven't put in the grunt work. But if they were giving her a job, I wish they would take Williams' gig and give it to her. He should not be on television news, period. But I guess this means Elise Jordan becomes the show's lady Republican rep. Which is fine by me. She stands up to Joe, and she doesn't have Cackles', er, cackle.

• Love 3

Hey guys I saw a great new morning news program today!  It has various pundits, journalists and political players sitting around a table discussing the current events. No cooking segments or lifestyle pieces. I enjoyed the substantive conversation about issues, some insider snark and real discussion among people with differing viewpoints. Nobody bloviated or interrupted just adult convo with people who have really considered these matters. No panel screaming matches either! It was hosted by a guy that introduced the news stories and intelligently moderated the discussion.  I like him. His name is Willie Geist and the show is callled Morning Joe. Nice reference to coffee right?!  Cuz there was nobody on named Joe and it was a fine show. 

• Love 16
On 4/26/2017 at 2:26 AM, suomi said:

millennium - it's good to see you here. I've enjoyed reading your posts in some of the other forums. wondering if you have seen this clip of Russell Brand taking over the show?

Thanks for sharing that, suomi.    It's amazing how the least bit of spontaneity or improv threw them all off their game.  I loved it when Russell asked incredulously, "This is what you do for a living?"

On 4/26/2017 at 0:37 PM, oakville said:

Cummings hired Mika's daughter to work for him. Mika gave him friend of the show status and agreed not to ask him tough questions. Mika should be required to disclose this before she interviews him. 

Joe apparently got very angry at Mika today. Joe said Trump trusts Jared & Ivanka like Kennedy did with Bobby. 

Mina was in disbelief that Jared would be a more experienced advisor than Bobby.

joe said it was a cheap shot by Mika. 

Thats two days in a row. 

Scarborough has a man-crush on Jared Kushner.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, millennium said:

Thanks for sharing that, suomi.    It's amazing how the least bit of spontaneity or improv threw them all off their game.  I loved it when Russell asked incredulously, "This is what you do for a living?"

When Russell said "You need to lose that ring, Mika, because it don't mean nothing to you", he didn't know how right he was. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/28/2017 at 2:50 PM, Mumbles said:

Cackles has been subbing for Brian Williams the past week and actually does a decent job. I'm still wary of her given her past with Palin, and I'm not sure she's ever had any real journalism job - I think she went straight into political hackery straight from college. So I wish they would stop giving jobs to people who haven't put in the grunt work. But if they were giving her a job, I wish they would take Williams' gig and give it to her. He should not be on television news, period. But I guess this means Elise Jordan becomes the show's lady Republican rep. Which is fine by me. She stands up to Joe, and she doesn't have Cackles', er, cackle.

I don't like Cackles. The only reason she is on TV is because of her backstabbing Sarah Palin after the election. She had her chance to help the country by warning them of Palin's unfitness for office before the election and failed.

Piercing eyes Jordan is on the panel today. She stares very intently at all the panelists. Those eyes could kill someone. It's hard to look away though.

Mika & Joe are in couples therapy till tomorrow.

The panel said that the GOP can't win on healthcare. Cancelling the popular provisions of Obamacare will hurt the GOP. They campaigned on repealing Obamacare.

The panel is shocked that Trump has support from Trump voters. The elites & Clinton supporters still hate him.constantly attacks the media & focuses on their biases.

Heileman is upset that Trump constantly attacks the media & focuses on their biases.

There was very limited coverage of the WHCD. Ansari told the media that they have to get the facts straight because Trump pounces on them when they make mistakes.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 1

Trump likes the Philipine dicatator who is killing drug dealers without a trial.

Trump likes the the Turkish dictator is firing his opponents & cancelling the Turkish bachelor TV show. No final  rose for you Turkey.

Trump is building hotels in both countries.  They could be used when Trump visits those countries.

They key for foreign leaders to good relations with Trump is to build a hotel in the country so that Trump will be happy.

Trump focused on the Democrats contacts with Russia. The media didn't cover it. Trump's interview with Face the Nation was a big topic.

• Love 1
On 4/28/2017 at 6:11 PM, novhappy said:

Hey guys I saw a great new morning news program today!  It has various pundits, journalists and political players sitting around a table discussing the current events. No cooking segments or lifestyle pieces. I enjoyed the substantive conversation about issues, some insider snark and real discussion among people with differing viewpoints. Nobody bloviated or interrupted just adult convo with people who have really considered these matters. No panel screaming matches either! It was hosted by a guy that introduced the news stories and intelligently moderated the discussion.  I like him. His name is Willie Geist and the show is callled Morning Joe. Nice reference to coffee right?!  Cuz there was nobody on named Joe and it was a fine show. 

This times a million.

• Love 4
On 4/27/2017 at 9:31 PM, oakville said:

Cable TV's most romantic couple are spending time together to heal their wounds!. Will they go to Mar a Largo?

http://pagesix.com/2017/04/27/joe-and-mika-get-out-of-town-for-long-weekend-together/

Good lord, it's not a 'wedding week-end', is it?  It's kind of dicey that they even have a relationship, because if/when it tanks, what happens to the dynamics on the show?  And if we think they bicker now, just think how bad it could get if they were married. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm kinda hoping for a wedding because then Mika would have to go.  The show has no integrity and should stop portraying itself as nothing more than a gossipy news magazine.

Edited by stormy
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Trump focused on the Democrats contacts with Russia. The media didn't cover it.

What's he saying?  The DNC and Hillary were complicit with Russian espionage and Putin in order to intentionally give up secrets and lose the election?  Is that his contention? 

(edited)

I'm looking forward to Tuesday's show on multiple levels: What will the dynamic be like after their on-air fight and a long weekend together? Will they still be mad at each other or even have broken up, or will they be gazing into each other's eyes after lots of makeup sex? (sorry if the thought of that ruins anyone's breakfast).

Will Joe apologize to Mika on-air? Will they acknowledge their fight in any way? Will they acknowledge the fact that they spent their vacation together, or will they just act like it was a coincidence that they both took time off at the same time? 

Also, Tuesday is Mika's 50th birthday. How will this add to the drama? Stay tuned. 

Edited by cased
Typo
  • Love 4

Now if they would can Greta

I'm hoping they do move or remove her and put Ari Melber or (my personal fave!) Joy Reid in her spot.

They just gave Hugh Hewitt a weekend evening show.  Griffins must think he can steal a ton of Fox viewers with these moves.  

Ari's show on Sunday afternoon is pretty good. I think Joy would prefer to be on primetime. 6 pm is probably when people turn it off to eat dinner. 

• Love 1
Just now, Landsnark said:

I missed something.  What fight?

On last Wednesday's show (their last before they went on vacation), Mika interrupted Joe, and Joe said something like "Do you have to be so snotty, do you have to be so rude?". Their are lots of online articles about it. 

12 minutes ago, cased said:

I'm looking forward to Tuesday's show on multiple levels: What will the dynamic be like after their on-air fight and a long weekend together? Will they still be mad at each other or even have broken up, or will they be gazing into each other's eyes after lots of makeup sex? (sorry if the thought of that ruins anyone's breakfast).

Will Joe apologize to Mika on-air? Will they acknowledge their fight in any way? Will they acknowledge the fact that they spent their vacation together, or will they just act like it was a coincidence that they both took time off at the same time? 

Also, Tuesday is Mika's 50th birthday. How will this add to the drama? Stay tuned. 

Maybe Joe will buy Mika a Pearl Necklace?

This used to be an inside joke on the set. Mika was unfamiliar with the urban dictionary version of the term. They discussed it on the panel one day . Poor Mika

57 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

What's he saying?  The DNC and Hillary were complicit with Russian espionage and Putin in order to intentionally give up secrets and lose the election?  Is that his contention? 

Trump was ranting to the CBS host about Podesta running a business with Russians. Hillary sold US uranium to the Russians . They were paid off by Bill giving boring 500k speeches. Trump rants always make me laugjlaugh 

• Love 1

On last Wednesday's show (their last before they went on vacation), Mika interrupted Joe, and Joe said something like "Do you have to be so snotty, do you have to be so rude?". Their are lots of online articles about it. 

He apologized to her on Twitter.

If she puts up with his bullshit, she gets what she deserves.  Knowing your worth means knowing when to tell someone who's abusing you emotionally to take their show & their ego and shove it up their ass. 

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

He apologized to her on Twitter.

If she puts up with his bullshit, she gets what she deserves.  Knowing your worth means knowing when to tell someone who's abusing you emotionally to take their show & their ego and shove it up their ass. 

There are 4 million reasons per year why she stays with him. She wouldn't be a co host on any other cable show. 

• Love 3

If I had $4 million, I'd go home and raise chickens and tell Joe Scarborough to go fuck himself if he treated me the way he treats her.

Of course that would happen one time.  Then I'd probably ask him on air "was Lori snotty & rude to you?" and then walk off the set. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, cased said:

I agree that tomorrow's show is must-see. I'd add to your list that I want to hear whether anyone tries to defend Trump's comments about Andrew Jackson and the Civil War.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Thanks, teddysmom, for answering the question. I should have provided a link in my original post.

The thing is . . . as bizarre as these statements are, they might not even make it into a three-hour show. I watched a bit of the news this afternoon, and no one was even talking about it. Too many other ridiculous things happening in TrumpWorld (for example, he'd be "honored" to talk to King Jung-un, who is a "smart cookie").  But maybe we'll get lucky and Joe'll bring his amazing knowledge of All Things Southern to the Civil War discussion.

• Love 2
(edited)

If nothing else, can Joe at least admit tomorrow, this man has zero knowledge of the history of our country?

Edited by stormy
  • Love 3
(edited)

Morning Joe without the Love Couple drops to 96th place in key demographics on Friday below CNN New Day. It still drew 825K total viewers.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-friday-cable-originals-network-finals-4-28-2017.html

2 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

Thanks, teddysmom, for answering the question. I should have provided a link in my original post.

The thing is . . . as bizarre as these statements are, they might not even make it into a three-hour show. I watched a bit of the news this afternoon, and no one was even talking about it. Too many other ridiculous things happening in TrumpWorld (for example, he'd be "honored" to talk to King Jung-un, who is a "smart cookie").  But maybe we'll get lucky and Joe'll bring his amazing knowledge of All Things Southern to the Civil War discussion.

Joe said he always attended integrated schools in Atlanta. Joe said he was friendly with African American students & everyone liked him

Edited by oakville
  • Love 1
(edited)

Tuesday recap. The couple is back. Mika is waiting a new navy top with a striped collar.

Today's theme is Does Trump have dementia? Joe compared him to his mom who had dementia for 10 years.

Trump likes Kim Jong Yung calling him a smart cookie & would be honored to meet him.

Joe is upset about Trump saying that Jackson could avoid the civil war.

Joe is upset that Trump said being President was a tough job.

The panel is acting like this is the first time Trump said crazy things. Halperin tried to focus on North Korea but Joe wanted to focus on the optics f Trump constantly making stuff up.

Eddie Glau called him a pinball machine.

Doug Brinkley said he has a confused mental state. Halperin warned Joe about diagnosing Trump without a medical degree.

No mention of last weeks' fight with Mika.

5 minutes ago, revbfc said:

Anybody have an over/under on how many days until Joe & Mika u-turn and start praising Trump again?

I would say that Joe will be back to liking Trump when Trump calls them or Jared arranges an interview.

Joe could also wait for positive poll numbers for Trump.

Mika & Joe said no one can stop Trump in the White House.

Joe said it's up to Mattis & Mcmaster to tell off Trump.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika & Joe said no one can stop Trump in the White House.

Joe said it's up to Mattis & Mcmaster to tell off Trump.

Please, no.  I don't want this IRL:

• Love 2

Joe really pushing the idea of Trump having dementia. Wow. Wait until Trump starts tweeting about this.

Joe must have CRS (can't remember shit) because he was on tv this fall telling everyone what a great President Trump would be.

• Love 3
(edited)

Halperin's actually anti-trump this morning.  Well at least over his ignorance of the Civil War and cozying up to murderous dictators.

Joe seemed suprised that trump admitted this job is harder than he thought it would be.  Joe pointed out how presidents look when they leave office.  Yep, this guy's gonna look like the walking dead.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 2

Today's theme is Does Trump have dementia? Joe compared him to his mom who had dementia for 10 years.

Well, they 75% went there (with a lot of hemming and hawing-disclaimers) and it was 100% awesome. Everyone get ready for President Pence.  Buy up stock in ultrasound and funeral companies NOW!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

Well, they 75% went there (with a lot of hemming and hawing-disclaimers) and it was 100% awesome. Everyone get ready for President Pence.  Buy up stock in ultrasound and funeral companies NOW!

Perhaps, but a Pence Presidency would most likely be one of rebuilding confidence in government.  As a constant apologist and defender of Trump, Pence would have little to no credibility with the American people.  No political capital means no choice but to build it from scratch.

• Love 1

I thought it interesting this morning that they refused to look at Trumps "honored"!statement about N Korea as a negotiating gambit. That possibility was briefly mentioned by a guest but shot down in the "insomniac rambling dementia patient" drama they built. I flipped to CNN and there was a legit discussion of the fact that it is definitely a negotiating tactic.

I also heard a guest on CNN mention re: healthcare vote this week that House is off starting Friday and s lot of delegations are scheduled to leave Thursday. So if we see those delegations trips getting cancelled on Wed /Thu morning we can know they are going for a vote on Friday. This is the kind of inside the Beltway info I expect to get on MJ. 

Overall there was no substantive discussion of anything this morning just Bloviating Joe calling his former bestie demented. Wonder if the romantic weekend was so great that Mika talked Joe into the  "Trumps insane" narrative. (Not to say he isn't but I expect a real analysis not random placed hysteria)

• Love 1

I thought today's dementia discussion was stunning and quite significant. It's the sort of thing that's only been whispered about before.  I think the fact that that Joe and Mika took it there means that other mainstream types might do so, as well. And I agree with the previous poster that CNN's morning show offers much more insight and actual journalism.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, novhappy said:

I thought it interesting this morning that they refused to look at Trumps "honored"!statement about N Korea as a negotiating gambit. That possibility was briefly mentioned by a guest but shot down in the "insomniac rambling dementia patient" drama they built. I flipped to CNN and there was a legit discussion of the fact that it is definitely a negotiating tactic.

I also heard a guest on CNN mention re: healthcare vote this week that House is off starting Friday and s lot of delegations are scheduled to leave Thursday. So if we see those delegations trips getting cancelled on Wed /Thu morning we can know they are going for a vote on Friday. This is the kind of inside the Beltway info I expect to get on MJ. 

Overall there was no substantive discussion of anything this morning just Bloviating Joe calling his former bestie demented. Wonder if the romantic weekend was so great that Mika talked Joe into the  "Trumps insane" narrative. (Not to say he isn't but I expect a real analysis not random placed hysteria)

Bingo! Joe forgot his favorite talking point about Trump's foreign policy strategy. Joe bragged that Trump pretends to be unpredictable & a little crazy to negotiate a better deal. Joe bragged that Trump did this with Taiwan& China. 

Since Joe routinely forgets his own flip flops over issues, is it OK to call him a early onset dementia patient?

33 minutes ago, Momager said:

I thought today's dementia discussion was stunning and quite significant. It's the sort of thing that's only been whispered about before.  I think the fact that that Joe and Mika took it there means that other mainstream types might do so, as well. And I agree with the previous poster that CNN's morning show offers much more insight and actual journalism.

Joe & Mika are TVdoctors now.! They should get Dr Nancy Quarantines are for little people back on Morning Joe.

Joe should call out Brian Williams as a dementia patient because he couldn't remember his war experience or New Orleans .

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, novhappy said:

Yes, but tactics are only useful tethered to discipline.  People around him may have it, but Trump does not.

• Love 1

If this is what the Republicans want to applaud him for as negotiation, then as Joe has said in the past, sweet Jesus.

I still can't stand John McCain. Evidently he will defend this to the bitter end as long as bombs are involved.

• Love 4

It's kind of dicey that they even have a relationship, because if/when it tanks, what happens to the dynamics on the show?  And if we think they bicker now, just think how bad it could get if they were married. 

Maybe it would be like the Sonny and Cher show. I can only dream. 

I could do without the gushing hagiography of the last segment when they were discussing the book on Kennedy. Kennedy did a lot of good things - the space program, the enduring legacy of the Peace Corps. He also did some not-so-great things. In other words he was human. A book of breathless essays curated by one of his nephews isn't going to be helpful or interesting. I suspect the discussion on the show is a result of Joe's striving to be one of the Cape Cod/Nantucket beautiful people set.

It does always crack me up when Joe refers to RFK as his political hero. The two of them couldn't be more different.

• Love 2

Joe should call out Brian Williams as a dementia patient because he couldn't remember his war experience or New Orleans.

World of difference.

• Love 4
(edited)

I generally watch New Day on CNN from 6-8 am and catch Morning Joe on youtube clips later.

This morning I had to switch off CNN because I could no longer stand watching a panel of grown men and women sitting around trying to parse the secret meanings behind Trump's recent spate of disturbing interviews.   They were tripping over themselves trying to rationalize his erratic statements, bloviating about the hidden "context."   To paraphrase:

Is all this a strategy?  Is this just classic Trump?  

All with an air of bemusement and levity.

I turned it off.

A little while ago, I watched this exchange on Morning Joe:

I thought it was one of the most blunt pieces of analysis I have seen in the past year -- and from a show that leans conservative.   They're bound to catch a lot of flak for it, but it's reassuring to know that someone is willing to say what a lot of people may be thinking.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4
(edited)

"Reading the transcripts of this President's interviews is disturbing."  What have these people been watching for the last year if they are just NOW realizing how disturbing his speech is, or rather his lack of coherence.  He's never made any sense, and knows nothing about the issues and always, always, makes up stuff because he doesn't know, understand, or remember a damned thing.  Where have these "news" people been?

Edited by izabella
  • Love 16

It's a momentous occasion - I appreciated Joe's question to a Democratic Congressman. Joe asked why the Dems were not introducing bills of their own to fix Obamacare*. It's a fair point and I think the Dems would do well to make a note of that and think on a response. See, Joe? THAT is how you can engage the "other side" directly without being a raging douchebag about it.

However, I will bet a venti dark roast that tomorrow, there will be at least one panelist or guest frothing at the mouth for fresh Clinton bashing. Woman has the GALL to not take the ENTIRE fall for the loss. Oh, hell's bells, that sh*t will NOT STAND. Let's see....who will it be....,hmmmm....Hewitt? Joe himself? Peters? Yeah, maybe it'll be one of those extra special, poufy-swoop hair, Clinton-rage mornings.

*If there's an obvious answer to that, please enlighten me. I'd hate to give undeserved credit out of ignorance.

**If I lose, I'm still buying myself coffee, except maybe with a lot of sugar to take down the bitter taste of sexism...

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Eliot said:

World of difference.

Williams  lied about his coverage of important events. He should have been fired. NBC is just letting him run out his contract. Mika & Joe have never allowed him to appear as a guest even though they said they supported him after his suspension.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, millennium said:

I generally watch New Day on CNN from 6-8 am and catch Morning Joe on youtube clips later.

This morning I had to switch off CNN because I could no longer stand watching a panel of grown men and women sitting around trying to parse the secret meanings behind Trump's recent spate of disturbing interviews.   They were tripping over themselves trying to rationalize his erratic statements, bloviating about the hidden "context."   To paraphrase:

Is all this a strategy?  Is this just classic Trump?  

All with an air of bemusement and levity.

I turned it off.

A little while ago, I watched this exchange on Morning Joe:

I thought it was one of the most blunt pieces of analysis I have seen in the past year -- and from a show that leans conservative.   They're bound to catch a lot of flak for it, but it's reassuring to know that someone is willing to say what a lot of people may be thinking.

The problem with Mika & Joe is that they are too attracted to people in power. They were anti Trump from August- November 7, 2016 They became besties with Trump's family again during the transition. Trump didn't bow down to them. No interview for King Joe & Queen Mika despite making the trek to Mar A Largo. Trump is giving interviews to practically everyone . Mika & Joe burned bridges once again.

5 hours ago, potatoradio said:

It's a momentous occasion - I appreciated Joe's question to a Democratic Congressman. Joe asked why the Dems were not introducing bills of their own to fix Obamacare*. It's a fair point and I think the Dems would do well to make a note of that and think on a response. See, Joe? THAT is how you can engage the "other side" directly without being a raging douchebag about it.

However, I will bet a venti dark roast that tomorrow, there will be at least one panelist or guest frothing at the mouth for fresh Clinton bashing. Woman has the GALL to not take the ENTIRE fall for the loss. Oh, hell's bells, that sh*t will NOT STAND. Let's see....who will it be....,hmmmm....Hewitt? Joe himself? Peters? Yeah, maybe it'll be one of those extra special, poufy-swoop hair, Clinton-rage mornings.

*If there's an obvious answer to that, please enlighten me. I'd hate to give undeserved credit out of ignorance.

**If I lose, I'm still buying myself coffee, except maybe with a lot of sugar to take down the bitter taste of sexism...

I think the problem is that no one on the panel has to use Obamacare exchanges.

Ontario just introduced free pharmacare for everyone under 25. Access to medecine reduces emergency room visits.

• Love 2

Mika & Joe have never allowed him to appear as a guest even though they said they supported him after his suspension.

Why anyone would have that boob on as a guest? He's a pretty boy who reads the news. He hasn't gotten off his ass to do any reporting in decades, brings nothing to the table.

They should try to limit their guests to actual journalists, elected officials or government officers, or authors.  And if they're going to keep using their friends as panelists, they should rotate them more often. Barnicle hasn't done anything useful in decades (if ever). Harold Ford brings nothing.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, oakville said:

The problem with Mika & Joe is that they are too attracted to people in power. They were anti Trump from August- November 7, 2016 They became besties with Trump's family again during the transition. Trump didn't bow down to them. No interview for King Joe & Queen Mika despite making the trek to Mar A Largo. Trump is giving interviews to practically everyone . Mika & Joe burned bridges once again.

There wasn't anything about their comments that would cause me to suspect they were the product of personal bias.    

54 minutes ago, oakville said:

I think the problem is that no one on the panel has to use Obamacare exchanges.

Probably no one deciding the fate of Obamacare has to use the Obamacare exchanges.

I do, and I've been in a state of constant anxiety since November 8.   And it never ends.  They keep at it and at it and at it, like rats gnawing at a thick wooden door knowing that sooner or later they will wear it down.

• Love 6