Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Never thought I'd say this but my respect for Donny D. grows daily (or should that be bigly?).   He was making a lot of sense this morning and evidently really gets under the bloviator's skin judging by Joe's reaction to him.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, captain1 said:

Never thought I'd say this but my respect for Donny D. grows daily (or should that be bigly?).   He was making a lot of sense this morning and evidently really gets under the bloviator's skin judging by Joe's reaction to him.

Today's line of the day:

Mika speaking to Joe: "I feel like the audience wants me to hit you"

• Love 2

Was Halperin on?

Listened on and off during drive to work. They brought up how Trump is still campaigning and maybe he has better things to do.

To which Halperin (?) said that he thought it was okay to be out, he wasn't president yet, let him do it blah blah blah.

They then played a number of clips of Tubby's latest and greatest speech-quips. After which Halperin (?) said that maybe he shouldn't still be out on the trail.

MJ actually gave me a morning chuckle! Will wonders never cease?

@oakville , I laughed out loud at the "maybe it's Prebyterian" about Mika's scarf. Love your recaps.

• Love 2

Joe wasted so much time whining about the New York Times stories on Trump's threat to our democracy. "Why don't they cover the EPA pick that doesn't believe in climate change?" "Why don't they cover the Labor Secretary nominee who doesn't believe in the minimum wage?" I don't know Joe, why don't you? They have 3 hours every morning to cover what they think are the most important issues and they spend half of it bashing other news organizations and saying "I told you so". 

If Joe wants to see real journalists covering important stories, maybe he should watch his own network between 8-11 pm. Rachel has been amazing covering the Tillerson nomination. Chris Hayes did a fascinating town hall with Bernie Sanders from Kenosha, Wisconsin. It's like 2 completely different networks at this point.

Joe also needs to stop with the revisionist history that "the pollsters got it completely wrong". First of all, the national polls predicted a 2-4% win for Hillary in the popular vote and she is currently up by 2 points. Second, Nate Silver never said Trump only had a 1 percent chance of winning. Nate's last projection was that Trump had a 28% chance of winning and he outlined 4 paths to a Trump victory. Last, Trump won because of 100.000 votes in 3 states. That's hardly a "complete failure" of the polling system. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see less focus on polls and more on issues but let's keep our facts straight, Joe. 

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, ShuFace88 said:

Why don't they cover the EPA pick that doesn't believe in climate change?" "Why don't they cover the Labor Secretary nominee who doesn't believe in the minimum wage?" I don't know Joe, why don't you? They have 3 hours every morning to cover what they think are the most important issues and they spend half of it bashing other news organizations and saying "I told you so". 

This! It's elementary and he refuses to change. I would only watch for Heilman. Did he have anything to say? I follow him on twitter and he has barely posted anything since the election. Maybe he is depressed post election (like me)

• Love 2

First of all, the national polls predicted a 2-4% win for Hillary in the popular vote and she is currently up by 2 points. Second, Nate Silver never said Trump only had a 1 percent chance of winning. Nate's last projection was that Trump had a 28% chance of winning and he outlined 4 paths to a Trump victory. Last, Trump won because of 100.000 votes in 3 states. That's hardly a "complete failure" of the polling system. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see less focus on polls and more on issues but let's keep our facts straight, Joe. 

This is what I keep coming back to.  The polls and the pundits didn't have it wrong.  And maybe her campaign wasn't so god awful. She won the popular vote by 2%.   Heileman was correct in pushing back on Mika's comments about how Trump voters believe him but don't take him seriously.  I don't even know what that means.   Isn't that kind of two opposing points? I take you seriously would mean, I think, that I believe what you say.   Do I need more coffee?   I think Mika is hanging around Trump too much and is learning the double speak. 

Also, yes Mika the viewers want you to hit Joe. Several times. A day. And then hit yourself in the head until you knock some sense into yourself and realize what you're doing and saying negates all this "know your worth" bullshit you try to sell. 

• Love 3

KAC came in the show. She was upset that she looked like Cinderalla before the ball compared to the other more attractive Trump women.

KAC, KAC, don't do that.  Would a man sit there doing that?  Trump women can spend $3,000 a pop on a placenta facial, or whatever.  KAC has 4 small kids and a President Elect to explain away. She does however need a new colorist.....

• Love 4
1 hour ago, NewDigs said:

Was Halperin on?

Listened on and off during drive to work. They brought up how Trump is still campaigning and maybe he has better things to do.

To which Halperin (?) said that he thought it was okay to be out, he wasn't president yet, let him do it blah blah blah.

They then played a number of clips of Tubby's latest and greatest speech-quips. After which Halperin (?) said that maybe he shouldn't still be out on the trail.

MJ actually gave me a morning chuckle! Will wonders never cease?

@oakville , I laughed out loud at the "maybe it's Prebyterian" about Mika's scarf. Love your recaps.

Thanks!

Heilemann was on the show in the first hour

1 hour ago, Maire said:

This! It's elementary and he refuses to change. I would only watch for Heilman. Did he have anything to say? I follow him on twitter and he has barely posted anything since the election. Maybe he is depressed post election (like me)

I suspect Heilmann wrote the first draft of game change 2016 with Hillary beating Trump. He to rewrite the book now

• Love 3

Heilemann was on the show in the first hour

He's been doing CBS This Morning a lot lately.  And I noticed that's where Alex Wagner ended up.  It's probably a nice change to be on CBS with Charlie Rose and Nora and not get screamed at when you speak. 

• Love 5

Joe also needs to stop with the revisionist history that "the pollsters got it completely wrong". First of all, the national polls predicted a 2-4% win for Hillary in the popular vote and she is currently up by 2 points.

Joe is mostly correct.

According to Real Clear Politics, on Monday November 7, three of the four major polls in Florida had Clinton ahead by 1-2% (one other correctly called for Trump.) The three NC polls had Clinton anywhere from tied to ahead by 6. One Michigan poll had Clinton ahead by 5, Trump ahead by 2. The average of the three NH polls had Clinton ahead by 7; she won by 0.3%.

A poll on Sunday before the election had Clinton ahead in Wisconsin by 8. 

Not all polls got it wrong, but enough did.

• Love 4

I usually watch CNN at the gym in the morning, but the damned setup currently is not broadcasting that channel for some technical reason, supposedly, so I am left to watch FOX no-news or MSNBC. 

Does Joe always talk over Mika and not let her finish a sentence? Very disrespectful.  Did she honestly leave her husband for this person or is that just a rumor?  Surely she can do better.

Wish Rachel Maddow was on in this time slot instead or they fix the damned tvs at the gym (here's looking at you LA Fitness Kennesaw...)

Welcome, cinsays.  MSNBC is for sure the better choice over Fox Nonews.  Whenever I go into a place of business that has on Fox, I am tempted to not do business there (like my car dealer.) But we all must get along now I suppose.  Anyway I can watch/listen to Fox now for a couple of minutes since the election is over. There's a lot less braying now about Obama and the bleached blondes are like 2 degrees less shrill.

YES Joe always talks over Mika and doesn't let her finish a sentence.  Mika has been subdued now that Trump won--they are "special friends"with   him and thus she  can't cut him down = nothing to talk about anymore.  I think the dating rumor is true.  Ask oakville, the purveyor here of all things Morning Joe...

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

MSNBC is for sure the better choice over Fox Nonews.  Whenever I go into a place of business that has on Fox, I am tempted to not do business there (like my car dealer.)

Yeah, for as much as we crap on this show - some of it justified, some of it hysterical - it is far better than that option. I'm not on Facebook so I had no idea what "fake news"  was at first, then I remembered how I would occasionally flip to Fox and Friends and see them screaming about a fake war on Christmas or losing their minds over some crackpot professor at a community college doing something dumb, and concluding that lib'ruls had taken control of every university campus.  Fox  Nonnews is a good word for it.

And while it is true that Joe is rude to Mika, he ain't much better to everyone else, either.

• Love 2

Yes, Joe routinely speaks over Mika and everybody else.  I'm not a fan of that trait, but the show is called "Morning Joe," not "Morning Mika."  I just wish the other panelists would challenge Joe on some of his editorial rants since they are not always well thought out.  And by "Not well thought out" I don't just mean that his opinions are at odds with mine (which I am cool with), but that they are often factually and logically wrong.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, cinsays said:

I usually watch CNN at the gym in the morning, but the damned setup currently is not broadcasting that channel for some technical reason, supposedly, so I am left to watch FOX no-news or MSNBC. 

Does Joe always talk over Mika and not let her finish a sentence? Very disrespectful.  Did she honestly leave her husband for this person or is that just a rumor?  Surely she can do better.

Wish Rachel Maddow was on in this time slot instead or they fix the damned tvs at the gym (here's looking at you LA Fitness Kennesaw...)

Joe frequently talks over her & other guests. The latest thing he has being doing is starting the show by talking about some random topic with the co panelists while Mika is trying to introduce everyone. It's frustrating because I think I have missed something. Also, the show does go past 9 am sometimes so I miss the ending "What did we learn today?

Although it hasn't been officially confirmed, Mika did leave her loyal husband for Joe.

• Love 1
On 12/16/2016 at 1:55 PM, Mumbles said:

Joe is mostly correct.

According to Real Clear Politics, on Monday November 7, three of the four major polls in Florida had Clinton ahead by 1-2% (one other correctly called for Trump.) The three NC polls had Clinton anywhere from tied to ahead by 6. One Michigan poll had Clinton ahead by 5, Trump ahead by 2. The average of the three NH polls had Clinton ahead by 7; she won by 0.3%.

A poll on Sunday before the election had Clinton ahead in Wisconsin by 8. 

Not all polls got it wrong, but enough did.

I hope that shows like Morning Joe & others stop the daily emphasis on polls. The one thing the last election taught everyone was not to rely on them for everything.

• Love 3

I forgot to mention that I saw Arianna Huffington on the show this week in the last segment. She was talking about sleep deprivation. She said that Trump needs more sleep. I thought it was weird that they didn't discuss politics with her. Furthermore, Arianna used to be a regular "first block" panelist. I wonder what happened? Tina Brown is also not on anymore? Is there only room for one blonde haired woman with a British accent? Posh Katty is the only Brit on the panel.

Arianna Huffington is vile. She treated the freelancers at the Huffington Post like crap, she's on the board of Uber (vanguard of the "gig" economy that erodes the protections of the regulatory state), and now her big thing is we all don't get enough sleep. Yeah because we're all working too hard. Not all of us can marry closeted oil heirs and make off with millions in a divorce.

I suspect Arianna herself is why she's not on this show anymore. She's trying to position herself less as a current affairs dilletante and more of a new age guru, what with the sleep and the "thriving" and all that. She was on the show to promote the sleep book a few months ago fwiw.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Arianna Huffington is vile. She treated the freelancers at the Huffington Post like crap, she's on the board of Uber (vanguard of the "gig" economy that erodes the protections of the regulatory state), and now her big thing is we all don't get enough sleep. Yeah because we're all working too hard. Not all of us can marry closeted oil heirs and make off with millions in a divorce.

I suspect Arianna herself is why she's not on this show anymore. She's trying to position herself less as a current affairs dilletante and more of a new age guru, what with the sleep and the "thriving" and all that. She was on the show to promote the sleep book a few months ago fwiw.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Huffington "vile," but I agree with just about everything else you said.  One of the greatest things my condo has done in recent memory is ban Airbnb or any such service from the building.  We all agreed that our security as residents was compromised by short-termers and we acted swiftly.  Other properties in my area were slower to act and have suffered because of it.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, oakville said:

I forgot to mention that I saw Arianna Huffington on the show this week in the last segment. She was talking about sleep deprivation. She said that Trump needs more sleep. I thought it was weird that they didn't discuss politics with her. Furthermore, Arianna used to be a regular "first block" panelist. I wonder what happened? Tina Brown is also not on anymore? Is there only room for one blonde haired woman with a British accent? Posh Katty is the only Brit on the panel.

She's still plugging her book Sleep Revolution?

I heard her plug that on NPR last April, I think. I thought it odd that she didn't discuss politics then!

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Thanks for the info. ! I know that UBER is a big issue in Canada. The taxi drivers are protesting the UBER drivers because they don't have to buy a taxi license or get as much insurance etc. I was at a Bieber concert in Quebec City in May & it was chaos because there were not enough taxis & no UBER's available.

Was it Tina Brown who came up with the term"gig " economy?

• Love 1

Monday Recap. Joe is wearing a blue blazer, tan pants & a yellow tie. I am curious because Trump is in Florida so who is Joe meeting with?

Mika is wearing a tight fitting black turtleneck with a red bloodied splotchy scarf. Is this a New Adventist scarf? Which Protestant group promotes splotchy scarves?

Mika bragged that Joe had some important phone calls over the weekend. Joe didn't want to mention names, but then proceeded to rattle off Mccormick the Hedge Fund guy for a job with Trump.

David Ignatious brought up Richard Haass as a possible advisor.

The panel is happy that Trump will pick some beltway types for jobs in the administration.

Next topic was death threats against Trump's electors who meet today to vote for the Electoral College.

Joe said violence & death threats are bad. They showed Trump tweeting about a double standard. Halperin agreed with Trump.

If the situation was reversed, Trump supporters would be attacked for threatening violence against Hillary's electors.

Next topic was bashing Hillary & Democrats who refuse to accept defeat.

Barnicle trashed Hillary& said it was a sad way to leave politics by blaming the Russians for hacking the DNC emails

Barnicle blasted Hillary for her emails & servers. Hillary had no story other than it was my turn.

Joe mocked the Democrats for losing in Wisconsin & allowing a Tea Party GOP guy to get re elected in an election year.

They showed the stats of Democrats losing 68 seats in Congress, 8 senate seats& 10 governorships.

Joe said Obama was a loner who never liked Democrats on the Hill. He won twice, the rest of the party fell apart.

Joe mocked everyone who said the GOP was in trouble.

Joe said Hillary blamed Obama for not getting African Americans to support her.

Joe said Obama needed more bi partisan support in 2009.

The panel wants Hillary to stop blaming others for losing the election.

Joe said the Russian hacking the election will be a bi partisan commission.

Halperin & Joe said Trump is talking with Joe Mancin & is reaching out to Democrats. They made fun of Obama not talking to anyone for 8 years. This is one of their oldest talking points that Obama is a loner who hates politics & refuses to attend cocktail parties etc... Trump is a hero because he spoke to Mancin.

• Love 5

Ignatious said Obama was right. Democrats have to show up in Blue States during the election & places where they would normally lose. Joe said the Democrats wwere flying blind during the election. Trump's polls were correct that Trump could win Minnesota.Joe made fun of Bloomberg politics. Halperin show was was just cancelled by them.

Peters said that the Russians did not prevent her from cancelling rallies in Michigan & Wisconsin.

Joe said mika was right about telling Democrats to get off their high horse. Mika looked nausesous as Joe said that.

Mika was right all along! Joe was right all along!. Let's forget Joe writing in the Washington Post that Trump should step down from the nomination in late September. LOL!

• Love 4

Joe mocked everyone who said the GOP was in trouble.

Holy Frick.  Including himself and every guest on his show?  Seriously!! They spent like an hour each day talking about how the Republican party as we know it is dead and will need a major reboot if it even continues AT ALL!  I don't really listen to other channels, except CNN a bit during commercials, so I had to have heard this on MSNBC.

I hear that the massive Trump engineering project of "Draining the Swamp" is continuing this morning with the proposed appointment of a hedge fund manager, David McCormick, in Defense.  I imagine that there won't be many more Wall Street types, CEOs and billionaires left after Trump is done draining. 

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 5

Gah!

Would they please please please stop dissecting the election and start talking about NOW!!

Mika doesn't seem to have the Joe-adoration-gaze she once had. They're starting to look and sound like a tired old married couple. 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

Gah!

Would they please please please stop dissecting the election and start talking about NOW!!

Mika doesn't seem to have the Joe-adoration-gaze she once had. They're starting to look and sound like a tired old married couple. 

Can u imagine having to work with Joe 3 hours a day plus have meetings with him after the show. Then having to go home with him and listen to all his bloviating while having dinner. 

It must be exhausting for her. No wonder she has a separate house. 

Mika doesn't wear fancy sleeveless dresses anymore. Joe is dressing more professionally now.

• Love 4

Mika doesn't wear fancy sleeveless dresses anymore.

I know! Why is this?? She wore those tight sleeveless shift dresses all thru winter, I used to think that she had great arms for a middle aged woman.  I hope she hasn't gotten the same under arm flab we all have.  Her clothes are pretty boring and suburban looking now, albeit the Unitarian scarves (tm oakville). This morning at the end she was wearing a big drapey Kohl's sweater.

Edited by WhineandCheez

They showed the stats of Democrats losing 68 seats in Congress, 8 senate seats& 10 governorships.

The Democrats GAINED seats in both the House and the Senate. Plus they got 3 million more votes than the Repubs in the presidential race. No wonder the American public is so ignorant/uninformed about what's actually happening.

Edited by shok
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I missed this morning's shitfest, I figured I'd watch an episode of The Man in The High Castle and see what our dystopian future will be like. 

I would like to see that show. Amazon Prime Video just came to Canada. You have to pay $79 per year to get it.

Tuesday Recap. Mika is is wearing a white turtleneck & a NEW Unitarian Scarf. It was a mix of Pink & Orange scarf. I don't like this scarf. What week of Advent does that scarf belong to?

Joe is in the Bunker wearing a striped red tie & his traditional Grey Bunker Suit.

Mika & Joe trashed the Clintons for 5 minutes. Joe mocked Bill for claiming that angry white men voted for Trump. Joe said Clinton & Obama got some of those voters to.

Ahman Moyadin was on the set. They discussed the Ankara assasination of the Russian Ambassador.

They didn't have enough info on the Berlin terrorist attack. The European papers are reporting it was a 23 year old Pakistani asylum seeker who hikacked a Polish truck.

Joe trashed Obama for not caring about the Terrorist attack in Paris & comparing it to bathtub drownings.

Joe trashed the Clintons for not going away quitely.

Harold Ford said he challenged Pelosi 14 years ago & Democrats have to become more centrist.

Clinton founded the Democratic Leadership Council in 1990.

Joe said Hillary lost 5 electors yesterday. Trump lost 2. 3 people voted for Colin Powell. Kasich & Sanders & a Feathered lady got a vote as well.

There is a good discussion on Turkey.

Barnicle said Trump is a transactional figure & likes to make deals with his opponents. Trump had dinner with Carlos Slim who owns part of the NY Times. Trump was a good host according to Joe. Joe trashed Obama for not having dinner with his enemies.

Mika's eyeshadow is off & looks raccoonish. It's black on the side of eyes. Did Mika & Joe have a fight before the show? Why is Joe in the Soundproofed Bunker? Mika is in the studio.

• Love 3

The Democrats GAINED seats in both the House and the Senate. Plus they got 3 million more votes than the Repubs in the presidential race. No wonder the American public is so ignorant/uninformed about what's actually happening.

The numbers that the MJ panel were discussing were the trends of the past 8 years. In 2009 there were 60 Dems in the Senate. Now there are 46. And, most projections had the Dems picking up at least 3 seats this election. This is not the trend to be on. Never mind the fact that the Kochs and other dark money have been quietly and successfully working to win legislatures....Not looking good for the Dems with a census coming up in 4 years and redistricting.

The panel spoke to this today, and the bit they had on Bill Clinton whining about Comey was instructive.  If the Dems take to heart the lessons of this election and listen to the economic anxieties of the working and middle classes, they stand a chance. If they run in 2018 and 2020 on the "it was all James Comey's fault" or "Putin stole the election"  platform that the Clintons would want them to stick to, they're in danger of being a minority party for the foreseeable future. Not a fan of the WSJ editorial page, but the editorial that they read today - with the line "nobody ordered Mrs. Clinton not to campaign in Wisconsin" was as much as a mic drop as you'll ever read in the WSJ.

Of course, if other Dems share Harold Ford's view that Andrew Cuomo is the future of the Democratic party, then it's in bigger trouble.

• Love 2

Tuesday Recap. Mika is is wearing a white turtleneck & a NEW Unitarian Scarf. It was a mix of Pink & Orange scarf. I don't like this scarf. What week of Advent does that scarf belong to?

Mika has gone full out Unitarian. She's got the collar AND the scarf. 

I think the week is referred to as the Festival of "I'm Losing My Mind, What Was I Thinking Hooking Up With This Lunatic". 

• Love 2

I would like to see that show. Amazon Prime Video just came to Canada. You have to pay $79 per year to get it.

That's a deal.  You get TONS of tv and movies and music. I can stream the entire soundtrack of  Hamilton on my tv, with the words. I had Hamilton karaoke the other night. Plus you get all the delivery benefits of Amazon Prime.  After the first year, it goes up to $99.  If you figure it's around $7-$8 a month for  tv and shopping, it's worth it.  IMO. 

2 hours ago, oakville said:

Bill for claiming that angry white men voted for Trump.

Angry white men AND women voted for Trump, Joe.  Wouldn't you be one of those? 

• Love 3

The panel spoke to this today, and the bit they had on Bill Clinton whining about Comey was instructive.  If the Dems take to heart the lessons of this election and listen to the economic anxieties of the working and middle classes, they stand a chance. If they run in 2018 and 2020 on the "it was all James Comey's fault" or "Putin stole the election"  platform that the Clintons would want them to stick to, they're in danger of being a minority party for the foreseeable future. Not a fan of the WSJ editorial page, but the editorial that they read today - with the line "nobody ordered Mrs. Clinton not to campaign in Wisconsin" was as much as a mic drop as you'll ever read in the WSJ.

ITA.  I didn't watch much of today's show, I was so thrown by Mika's Unitarian minister costume I had to turn it off to stop laughing.   But as far as HRC's campaign in the Midwest,  I was also shocked that they closed up her office in Indianapolis right after the primary.  Obama won Indiana in 2008, and considering the Carrier/Rexnord situations, Mike Pence's foray into theocracy, etc. Indiana might have been ripe for the picking.   It's not like she didn't have the money.   That being said, the panel & WSJ are right, it's time for Dems to stop publicly blaming everyone and everything and focus on how to do better.   

I was watching All The President's Men last night, and Redford had a great line after Ben Bradlee won't run their Watergate story the first time. "Bitching about it isn't going to fix the problem".   

Oakville you crack me up everyday with your recaps and especially your comments on our intrepid hosts' wardrobe!  But on a point of technical order, as an Episcopalian who gets into such things, I will just point out that the word for the scarfy things is "stole" - and here is more than you ever wanted to know about them LOL!

Stole

A stole, called a epitrachilion in Orthodox churches, is a long, narrow rectangular garment that is worn around the neck so that it hangs down in front of the wearer’s legs, ending below the knees. The stole merges the functions of two different things. First, ancient government officials wore a stole, just as today a policeman wears a badge. Second, slaves used used to wear work cloth around their necks, for polishing things, and for wiping sweat from their faces. In the church, the stole functions as a badge of office to mark the wearer as ordained clergy. It can also function as a cloth that the celebrant uses to clean the Communionware as part of the service. For those reasons, the stole became a Eucharistic garment.

Modern stoles are usually the appropriate color for the season. Only ordained clergy wear a stole. A deacon can also wear a stole, but it is customary for a deacon to wear it over the left shoulder, tied at the waist on the right side, so that the stole hangs diagonally across the chest. A stole can be worn over a robe, an alb, or a cassock.

If an ordained minister combines a cassock, surplice, and stole, the cassock goes on first, then the surplice, then the stole on top.

If an ordained minister combines an alb, stole, and chasuble, the alb goes on first, then the stole, then the chasuble on top. (There are stoles that are designed to be worn over chasubles, but that is not common.)

If a deacon combines an alb, dalmatic, and stole, the alb goes on first, then the dalmatic, then the stole on top.

http://cdn.opentip.com/Home-Kitchen/Rj-Toomey-Ts-Coronation-Clergy-Stole-p-7787339.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAyuPCBRCimuayhb3qqvwBEiQAgz62kQOxf2M6jylOZna6c7_r0FlPGdeP09-uCrvm5P2EQnsaAjiY8P8HAQ

• Love 2

Oh you guys are slaying me.  I feel at fault, since I was the one who timidly asked oakville, 2 weeks ago, what a "Unitarian  scarf" was.

Moseying by Fox Nonews this AM during a MJ commericial, I was treated to the vapid male host gasping with incredulity that the NY times published some article saying what a lack of diversity Trump had in his cabinet and other departmental  picks. As it turns out, gasp gasp, that the NY Times has even LESS diversity!  Oh, they mean in the 20 people in the NY Times assigned to cover the President, not in the entire NY Times organization.  Talk about comparing apples to... snowshoes. Fox Nonews, you are stupid fucks.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, captain1 said:

Oakville you crack me up everyday with your recaps and especially your comments on our intrepid hosts' wardrobe!  But on a point of technical order, as an Episcopalian who gets into such things, I will just point out that the word for the scarfy things is "stole" - and here is more than you ever wanted to know about them LOL!

Stole

A stole, called a epitrachilion in Orthodox churches, is a long, narrow rectangular garment that is worn around the neck so that it hangs down in front of the wearer’s legs, ending below the knees. The stole merges the functions of two different things. First, ancient government officials wore a stole, just as today a policeman wears a badge. Second, slaves used used to wear work cloth around their necks, for polishing things, and for wiping sweat from their faces. In the church, the stole functions as a badge of office to mark the wearer as ordained clergy. It can also function as a cloth that the celebrant uses to clean the Communionware as part of the service. For those reasons, the stole became a Eucharistic garment.

Modern stoles are usually the appropriate color for the season. Only ordained clergy wear a stole. A deacon can also wear a stole, but it is customary for a deacon to wear it over the left shoulder, tied at the waist on the right side, so that the stole hangs diagonally across the chest. A stole can be worn over a robe, an alb, or a cassock.

If an ordained minister combines a cassock, surplice, and stole, the cassock goes on first, then the surplice, then the stole on top.

If an ordained minister combines an alb, stole, and chasuble, the alb goes on first, then the stole, then the chasuble on top. (There are stoles that are designed to be worn over chasubles, but that is not common.)

If a deacon combines an alb, dalmatic, and stole, the alb goes on first, then the dalmatic, then the stole on top.

http://cdn.opentip.com/Home-Kitchen/Rj-Toomey-Ts-Coronation-Clergy-Stole-p-7787339.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAyuPCBRCimuayhb3qqvwBEiQAgz62kQOxf2M6jylOZna6c7_r0FlPGdeP09-uCrvm5P2EQnsaAjiY8P8HAQ

Thanks for the information!

• Love 1

Wednesday Recap:

Joe is wearing his navy blue fleece. Mika is off today washing & ironing her scarves. Mika has to change the dryer settings so that her sweaters don't become too tight fitting.

Joe is busy blasting Bill Clinton for selling access to the Lincoln bedroom for $5.7 million.

Bill Clinton got caught lying yesterday about Trump calling him. It turns out that Clinton called Trump. Joe said Clinton was a liar.

Hallie Jackson tried to bring up the scandal involving the Trump kids hunting trip with Photo ops for $1Million. That's called pay for play. Trump is cancelling the photo ops.

Joe blasted the Germans for not having enough police & cameras at the Christmas market.

They arrested the wrong person 2 miles away. Today they found id papers from a tunisian guy in the truck.

Joe said Merkel will pay a price at the polls next year for supporting unlimited refugees into Germany.

Joe blamed the Germans for not having enough surveillance & controls on asylum seekers.

Joe blasted the media for the Washington Post doing a hit piece on him & Mika . They said that Trump gave money to Axelrod's daughter charity.

On yesterday's show Barnicle said that Trump was a transactional politician to make deals but not an ideologue.

Joe trashed Obama for not doing anything in Syria which has allowed ISIS to grow & Aleppo to fall apart.

• Love 4

Watched a bit of the show today - couldn't watch more than 10 minutes. Saw the piece where the Trump boys were selling access for $1 million until they got caught. Joe immediately went on a rant about Bill Clinton having a turnstile on the Lincoln Bedroom for visitors to pay to stay there. Thankfully Elise Jordan was on the show and she reminded Joe that Trump specifically ran against the Clinton pay for play model. Joe seemed to have amnesia on that point. 

• Love 3

Oak, that overview you just wrote could be re-used 3 to 4 times a week every week for the past 8 years.  Change the order the phrasing, the colors of clothes, and "Aleppo" to "Paris" or "Orlando" or "Mosul" or "Ukraine" and the show's the same.

What did Barnicle mean when he described Trump as a transactional politician?  He's not a politician yet.  He campaigned as a hard line ideologue.  And he ran against the transactional politician of ALL transactional politicians... and condemned her for it, and, she was slammed for not being an ideologue with a warm unifying message, which is something Trump did not have, yet, she did have lucid, complex policy plans for everything.
The show is bullshit.  Smug, undisciplined, incurious minds ejaculating syllables for an hour and a half, desperately trying to generate social media buzz for any reason at all.

Edited by Landsnark
  • Love 7

I think all thst Barnicle meant was Trump sold himself during the campaign  as a "dealmaker" - e.g. the TPP and NAFTA were bad deals, he would throw them out and renegotiate, blah blah blah. Of course calling yourself that and actually doing it are different things. 

What these people have not acknowledged that for the past number of years Trump hasn't made any deals at all. He just licenses his name to things. His heydey as a dealmaker peaked 20+ years ago and that last deal - the casinos - didn't end well for his shareholders.

• Love 5

What these people have not acknowledged that for the past number of years Trump hasn't made any deals at all. He just licenses his name to things.

Kinda like what he's doing with the presidency.

He is running his cabinet selection process like he's casting a reality show.

• Love 6

Alert!! Joe got real for 1 minute of an 180 minute show!  He said (paraphrase) "Trump said he was going to drain the swamp, but the only swamp he seems to be draining is the one in front of Goldman Saks."  HEE!  Also, he quoted Newt who said something like "We never liked that term 'drain the swamp,' it wasn't our term." The same guy who 2 days ago said that if the Trump kids inadvertently did anything illegal (ie their being intimately involved with governing the US while running the Trump business), their Dad could just pardon them.  Yep, is was baldly said.  Yet.....we must all get along.

Edited by WhineandCheez
too juvenille
  • Love 5

Thursday recap: Mika was wearing a black turtleneck with a grey sweater. She is not wearing any scarves today.Is that what Catholics wear? Joe was wearing a navy blue blazer with a pink shirt. Steele had a Christmas sweater on. 

Joe said the GOP will lose in 2018 if they don't improve on Ibamacare.

They made fun of John Bolton. 

Jod bragged that Exxon does more business in 200 countries than the State Department.

Joe was upset that Europe has no borders. Terrorists can go wherever they want. 

The panel applauded Trump for saying that the Berlin attack was an attack on all of humanity rather than just Christianity.

Its weird that they don't discuss the victims iN Germany as much as they did in Paris.

Joe said they need a centralized police for Europe 

They showed the clip of Trump saying that he was right about the Muslim ban & extreme vetting of Terrorists

• Love 3

Eliot you are so right about DT leasing his name to the presidency. Spot on.

Watching for 10 minutes this morning and saw KAC who made a point of saying "thank you Mika for your friendship and counsel." Gross.

What are they all going to do when they have to stick to a point and can't talk in circles about what DT believes and what policies they are to put in place? Also when will they stop bringing up Hillary?

• Love 2