Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Wait what?

Did they come on later in the show?   I'm going on no sleep here but when I turned it on in the 6 am hour there was no Boris & Natasha anywhere on set. 

It's so strange that my recap from a few weeks ago was posted today.  I am posting on my iPhone now because my laptop needs repair. 

Is anyone else getting the total number of likes of all their posts?

Thank you!  I was half asleep on the sofa watching tv and thought, man I know I didn't see Joe & Mika because I didn't get pissed off and change the channel. 

53 minutes ago, oakville said:

He he doesn't like the United Nations resolution. He will give the secret evidence to the Trump administration that Obama was behind the resolution.

No wonder these guys like Trump so much. They're taking a page out of his birther scam. 

We have evidence and we'll present it at the appropriate time, to someone who will believe all the shit we tell him, because he's a moron. 

• Love 1

Man, I really like Willie Geist.  Nothing against Joe and Mika, but if it can't be them, I'm happy he's driving the bus.

I remember when I first became a fan of his.  He was working on Tucker Carlson's show and Tucker turns to Willie and says something like "We're friends, right?"

Willie responded with (live on air, mind you): 

"No.  No we're not."

Edited by revbfc
  • Love 3

Friday recap.Kasie Hunt broke into Mika's wardrobe closet. She took one of Mika's sleeveless dresses & the red blotchy Presbyterian scarf that Mika usually wears. Hacking is the top topic. 

Another topic is can Trump rebuild the manufacturing base. Most of the jobs lost were lost due to automation.

Steve Kornacki borrowed one of Joe's LL Bean sweaters. HE put the sleeves up.

He said Trump got former Democrats from Rust Belt states to vote for him.

Halperin is quieter than normal.

Robert Costa went to another Fish concert.

Kornacki is outraged at the loss of Carnegie Deli. He hates grass fed food. He loves Greek Diners. He said Katz deli is pretty good.

Chris Jansing defended Michelle Obamas healthy food. Kornacki hates condos that buy these restaurants & tear them down.

MSNBC should consider having this type of show without Mika & Joe on a regular basis.

Costa, Kasie,Sam Stein get along well with Willie & Chris Jansing.

'

• Love 4

MSNBC should consider having this type of show without Mika & Joe on a regular basis.

Costa, Kasie,Sam Stein get along well with Willie & Chris Jansing.

From your lips to God's ears.  

The George Will column that Willie read a portion of  hit the nail on the head. 1 million mfg jobs lost in a decade due to Chinese imports, but 1.7 million jobs a month due to just lay offs, and efficiency improvements.  

http://www.richmond.com/opinion/their-opinion/george-will/article_899b2c2b-6f6b-5482-be88-91477e94b8e9.html

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

From your lips to God's ears.  

The George Will column that Willie read a portion of  hit the nail on the head. 1 million mfg jobs lost in a decade due to Chinese imports, but 1.7 million jobs a month due to just lay offs, and efficiency improvements.  

http://www.richmond.com/opinion/their-opinion/george-will/article_899b2c2b-6f6b-5482-be88-91477e94b8e9.html

Make America Inefficient Again!

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 4

Read this in the bathroom so you'll be near the toilet when you barf. Every time I see this commercial I gag a little. 

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/12/new-msnbc-ad-campaign-touts-new-role-for-morning-joe-news-233004

Willie! Willie!  Willie!! Willie!!!!  Drain the swamp!!  

Kasie Hunt broke into Mika's wardrobe closet. She took one of Mika's sleeveless dresses & the red blotchy Presbyterian scarf that Mika usually wears. 

The wardrobe person must have been half asleep this morning and thought Kasie was Mika. 

I have never seen anyone wear scarves like that. Just draped around their neck.   

• Love 1
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I tweeted something like this to Joe, Mika & MSNBC, just to fuck with him.  That the internet was abuzz about how great Willie is doing filling in.   I know he doesn't read his feed, but Mika does, as does the social media dept at MSNBC. 

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Read this in the bathroom so you'll be near the toilet when you barf. Every time I see this commercial I gag a little. 

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/12/new-msnbc-ad-campaign-touts-new-role-for-morning-joe-news-233004

mediaite also has an interesting take.

'New MSNBC Ad Campaign Frames Morning Joe as Place to Get Breaking Trump News

by Justin Baragona | 2:39 pm, December 28th, 2016'

Edited by NewDigs
too much coffee
  • Love 1

Mika and Joe seem to be the biggest ass kissers to Trump in the media (and sean hannity, but then again....) but I dont understand the connection. what is so special about those two that can't be found elsewhere or with other media personalities?

• Love 2

Not to burst MJ's bubble, but Infowars (unfortunately) got the news first about Rex Tillerson while they were still talking Romney.  Saying you have a an "inside track" doesn't seem so awesome in that light.

NO, I am not a Alex Jones guy.  That Lord Haw Haw wannabe can jump in Lady Bird Lake for all I care.

Edited by revbfc
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Lana X said:

Mika and Joe seem to be the biggest ass kissers to Trump in the media (and sean hannity, but then again....) but I dont understand the connection. what is so special about those two that can't be found elsewhere or with other media personalities?

Joe & Mika have shown themselves to be "reasonable," and that is appealing to moderates.  Moderates watch MJ, and Trump needs moderates.  If Trump can be normalized to reasonable, moderate, people, he'll get a lot more done.

Hannity is a no-brainer.  He's a cheerleader for the right wing and authoritarian.  He's your 4am booty call who will always answer.  You can do what you want and leave right away without so much as a thank you if you say the other things right.  But the moderates?  They are far more fickle.

Trump needs them as badly as low-interest loans.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, revbfc said:

Moderates watch MJ, and Trump needs moderates.  If Trump can be normalized to reasonable, moderate, people, he'll get a lot more done.

So true. Here's hoping Willie, Gene Robinson, hell even Barnicle step up to the plate and call out the Emperor. (Halperin and Ford are such suck-ups to power that they will fall in line. And not sure if Nicole will ever be back but she knows who butters her bread and it ain't the Dems.)

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Lana X said:

16 hours ago, Mumbles said:

So true. Here's hoping Willie, Gene Robinson, hell even Barnicle step up to the plate and call out the Emperor. (Halperin and Ford are such suck-ups to power that they will fall in line. And not sure if Nicole will ever be back but she knows who butters her bread and it ain't the Dems.)

Eugene is frequently on Morning Joe. He has been warning viewers since January 2016 that Trump was like Godzilla.He feeds off energy. Harold Ford's name was floated on Morning Joe as being in line for a cabinet post with Trump. I watch Morning Joe almost every day & Ford was the first Democrat to pick up on Hillary being weaker than expected in Michigan. Ford did call out Mika & Joe for being a little too friendly with Trump after the election. Nicole " Cackles" Wallace has not been on Morning Joe since the election. She lost a lot of credibility over the past year by being a Never Trumper. She tried to be nice to Trump on Morning Joe by telling him that her parents supported him.

Barnicle has gone back to his Mr Blue collar Boston shtick. He has been trashing Hillary for being elitist. Yet Mrs Barnicle was attending Hillary's cocktail parties during the election. It's weird that Barnicle is still on Morning Joe. I think Joe likes him because he has Red Sox season tickets. 

Halperin was astute by still giving Trump a chance to win the election when the polls were all saying Hillary would win. He is friendlier with Trump on Morning Joe

Mika & Joe have been friends with Trump for over 10 years according to Joe. Joe has stayed with his kids at Mar a Largo during past Christmas holidays.

• Love 4

I think Joe and Meeeekaaaah will be on MSNBC as long as they can get headlines and their antics appear on Huffington Post and Facebook.  Take the pj's..please.  That pajama stunt got lots of attention and the pictures were all over different media places.  For MSNBC it is a win-win.  They have unfettered access to Drumpf; what other network can say that?  

My only hope is that when Drumpf truly crosses the line (Lord knows, the line gets further away every day)..the Gold Dust Twins will have outlived their usefulness.  Only then, I believe, will we be rid of them.  I love the vibe of a morning tv coffee klatsch, with smart, funny people.  With their egos in check.  This show could be soooo much better than it is.  I just can't get my day started with yelling, bloviating, simpering, smug, insider-elites holding court.  That goes for Joe, Meekaah, Barnicle, Horrible Halperin, etc.  Love Willie...would love a strong, smart, funny woman (there are lots of them on the fringes of cable news)..different, new voices, etc.  The possibilities are endless and they would all probably come a lot cheaper than Joe and the scarf-wearing entitled princess. What about one of the Girls on the Bus?  What about Alex Wagner?  What about people who can laugh at themselves?  Appear relaxed?  No political surrogates or hacks need apply.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Take the pj's..please.  That pajama stunt got lots of attention and the pictures were all over different media places.  

And, imho, they looked like complete idiots. Sitting there in their jammies delivering "Breaking News". 

Oh, and, "Breaking News" that only they had because they're so far up Trump's butt. "Mika? It's me, try to make what I tell you sound better, 'kay?"

Hard enough to take them seriously when they're sitting there in their khakis and fleece. Jammies? pfft.

• Love 1
On 12/30/2016 at 8:58 AM, NewDigs said:

mediaite also has an interesting take.

'New MSNBC Ad Campaign Frames Morning Joe as Place to Get Breaking Trump News

by Justin Baragona | 2:39 pm, December 28th, 2016'

So much for the hope that MSNBC was the uncomfortable with Joe and Mika's closeness to Trump, and would try to reign them in. Based on these new ads, not only do they appear to be OK with it, they seem to be encouraging it. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Kemper said:

I think Joe and Meeeekaaaah will be on MSNBC as long as they can get headlines and their antics appear on Huffington Post and Facebook.  Take the pj's..please.  That pajama stunt got lots of attention and the pictures were all over different media places.  For MSNBC it is a win-win.  They have unfettered access to Drumpf; what other network can say that?  

My only hope is that when Drumpf truly crosses the line (Lord knows, the line gets further away every day)..the Gold Dust Twins will have outlived their usefulness.  Only then, I believe, will we be rid of them.  I love the vibe of a morning tv coffee klatsch, with smart, funny people.  With their egos in check.  This show could be soooo much better than it is.  I just can't get my day started with yelling, bloviating, simpering, smug, insider-elites holding court.  That goes for Joe, Meekaah, Barnicle, Horrible Halperin, etc.  Love Willie...would love a strong, smart, funny woman (there are lots of them on the fringes of cable news)..different, new voices, etc.  The possibilities are endless and they would all probably come a lot cheaper than Joe and the scarf-wearing entitled princess. What about one of the Girls on the Bus?  What about Alex Wagner?  What about people who can laugh at themselves?  Appear relaxed?  No political surrogates or hacks need apply.

Willie used to have his own "News you can't use "  during the first few years of the show. It was hilarious. It was usually about celebrities or politicians doing dumb things. Willie has had to take some time off the show to do work for the Today show. I think he has a good chance to replace Matt Lauer when he retires.

5 hours ago, cased said:

So much for the hope that MSNBC was the uncomfortable with Joe and Mika's closeness to Trump, and would try to reign them in. Based on these new ads, not only do they appear to be OK with it, they seem to be encouraging it. 

I think Trump likes Mika & Joe more than Cuomo on CNN. Joe loves being part of Trump's inner circle. If you watch the show carefully, you can see Joe talking to Trump directly through the show. Joe went ballistic when Rudy Giuliani or John Bolton were considered for cabinet posts. Joe kept shouting that Trump would be foolish to do this. I am sure Trump watches Morning Joe. 

Did anyone see the new MSNBC promo with 3 words for 2017?. The cast of Morning Joe talked about 3 words that will describe 2017. Joe went on a long rant whic h exceeded 50 words. Mika was with him & said meekly that Trump will only be around for 4 or maximum 8 years. After the segment, Willie said it was Ok for Joe to do that because it is his show.

t

• Love 1

Mika and Joe rang in the New Year with Trump at Mar-a-Lago, The New York Times reports. No news on whether they paid for that access - tickets were $525 for members/$575 for non-members -- or if they were invited guests. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, may flowers said:

Mika and Joe rang in the New Year with Trump at Mar-a-Lago, The New York Times reports. No news on whether they paid for that access - tickets were $525 for members/$575 for non-members -- or if they were invited guests. 

Joe has been on one of his twitter rampages in the last couple of hours. He claims that he and Mika did not attend the party. He said they met with Trump before the party to try and set up an interview, but they left before the party started. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, may flowers said:

It's in the paragraph right above the photo of Mar-a-lago.  http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/01/us/trump-mar-a-lago-future-winter-white-house.html?action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&module=Trending&version=Full&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

The reporter is Maggie Haberman, one of the top ones routinely covering Trump at the Times. If she's wrong, they will certainly print a retraction.

If they don't print one (much more likely imo) then Joe and Mika got caught partying with Donald (either comp'd or paying--both are bad) and then lying about it. The event was "tuxedos and ball gowns" so if they showed up, they didn't just "drop by earlier to arrange an interview".  They came prepared to attend the Trump NYE party.

19 minutes ago, Padma said:

It's in the paragraph right above the photo of Mar-a-lago.  http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/01/us/trump-mar-a-lago-future-winter-white-house.html?action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&module=Trending&version=Full&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

The reporter is Maggie Haberman, one of the top ones routinely covering Trump at the Times. If she's wrong, they will certainly print a retraction.

If they don't print one (much more likely imo) then Joe and Mika got caught partying with Donald (either comp'd or paying--both are bad) and then lying about it. The event was "tuxedos and ball gowns" so if they showed up, they didn't just "drop by earlier to arrange an interview".  They came prepared to attend the Trump NYE party.

Joe did not seem to have a big issue with the Maggie Haberman article that said that Joe and Mika "were there". His main issue was with someone named Spoan Deb, who extrapolated that to say that J+M spent the evening partying with Trump. Joe very specifically said that he and Mika were dressed in street clothes, because they were not there to attend the party, but they briefly got mixed up with the party crowd when they were trying to follow Secret Service directions.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, cased said:

Joe did not seem to have a big issue with the Maggie Haberman article that said that Joe and Mika "were there". His main issue was with someone named Spoan Deb, who extrapolated that to say that J+M spent the evening partying with Trump. Joe very specifically said that he and Mika were dressed in street clothes, because they were not there to attend the party, but they briefly got mixed up with the party crowd when they were trying to follow Secret Service directions.

2017 just started & Joe is already on a rant against critics who caught Mika & Joe at Mar a Largo. I could see this coming a mile away. 

Joe has stayed at Mar al Largo before with his kids in prior years. 

I have been predicting since the election that Mika & Joe will do whatever it takes to get an " exclusive" interview with President elect Trump before the inauguration.

I would love to find out what Joe meant about wearing " street clothes" at Mar a Largo with Mika . It's too warm for fleece in Palm Beach. Was Mika wearing a Unitarian scarf?

• Love 5

Seems like Joe was punching down again. He took on Sopan Deb, a stand out during the campaign for CBS who's shortly joining the Times, literally calling him a liar. When Haberman asked Joe specific questions, he backed down. Apparently Joe and Mika were among the revelers but not reveling and at the party but not partying. He was upset about lack of precision in language. Yes...you read that right. 

Why were they at Mar-a-lago just as the party started? They were upholding that great journalistic tradition of...I don't know. i lost him there.

it was an epic melt down, though. 

• Love 5

Joe is even more of a Twitter bully than his bff the PEOTUS.   I cannot understand why anyone would lash out so viciously at a generally good reporter and nice guy like Dep, even if Haberman was mistaken (which I'm not at all sure that she was). Interesting how Joe doesn't attack the source material, just wants to beat up on Dep.  (I'll bet anything that he continues in the same vein on the show tomorrow.) 

Personally, I hope someone has photos that make him out to be a liar. But in any case, what an obnoxious bully.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/morning-joe-scarborough-cuts-cbs-reporter-down-size-003751698.html

Gah - the bloviating douchebaggotry is in high gear this morning.  Joe is reiterating his talking points about how he and Mika were so tough on Trump during the campaign.  My blood pressure can take no more - I'm out.

• Love 3

And he just let Spicer slide on his talking point that the main info to be gleaned from the hacking reports is that the Dems need to do a better job protecting their passwords and clicking on bad links.

And Joe stammers while that Spicer creep is going on about the China-hack private-sector hack being worse than the Russia hack. No mention of democracy in danger! 

bedebedebede

• Love 1

So Joe and his side piece were at Mar a Lago for a meeting about an interview? I know Trump can use a phone so why wouldn't you set it up that way for a time certain? Joe wanted to "party" but not get caught so this was his (paper thin) alibi. Come on Joe. 

• Love 4

Happy New Year, fellow Morning Joe forum viewers.

Monday Jan2 recap. JOe is wearing a navy blue blazer with a red checkered gingham shirt that he first wore in the summer of 2011. Barnicle,Heileman,Marcia Brady are on set.

Mika is in the South of France ( Palm Beach). 

First topic | What did you do for New Year's Eve? Halperin went to bed early but was awoken by fireworks at Central Park.

Marcia Brady was reading a book and fell asleep.

Joe admitted to being at Mar a Largo with Mika. They were granted 30 minutes meeting at 720 pm with Trump. They left at 750. They want an interview with Trump. Joe bragged that Brokaw & Bradlee did this with previous presidents.

Joe was mad for being called a Reveler with Trump. Joe said he went home to watch a movie with his kids & the Mariah Carey meltdown.

Joe was upset that he could not stay at Mar a Largo anymore because of Trumps election. He acknowledged spending 5 yeas straight before the election.

Joe is mad at the media for a double standard. It is ok to have off the record meetings with Democrats but not Republicans.

Barnicle said anyone that normalizes Trump gets called out by segments of the media.

Joe said he was tough on Trump. Joe bragged about his ratings. Joe bragged about speaking his mind and being right about the election.

Joe said Russia foreign policy is driven by resentment. Joe said Bush & Obama allowed Russia to invade Georgia & Ukraine.

Heilemann said journalists have to do their job & have to cover Trump. He doesn't want Trump graded on an easy curve.

Joe said the media should stop covering every Trump tweet. Joe said the young journalists don't remember anything about previous Presidents.

Joe said the media should focus on Trumps conservative cabinet.

Grant the ISIS expert came on to talk about the latest nightclub attack by an Isis sympathizer.

The terrorists like Turkey because they had safe haven.until last year.Turkey switched sides & now supports ASSAD . They used to let ISIS sympathizer go through Turkey to Syria & Iraq.

Isis is mad at losing territory in Syria & Iraq.

Joe accused Heilemann of vandalizing the Hollywood sign to Hollyweed. 

marcia Brady left the set. Brianna Golgorya joined the set. She was excited that a GOP congressmen made fun of her and asked her where she is from. Joe liked him but wasn't happy about his new position on Russia.

Joe is mad that no one can prove that wiki leaks cost Hillary the election. It was not one wiki leak but it just confirmed suspicions about Hillary.

Barnicle said Hillarys shouldn't have called Trumps supporters deplorable.

Joe made fun of Hillary for not visiting Wisconsin.

• Love 5

I saw a little of it, guessing near the end (PST). Table had Joe, Barnicle, Halperin, Heileman and Elise (last name?).  It seemed a tense table, especially H&H, like something they wanted to say and couldn't.  Joe asked what the media could be doing better--Heileman got to mention one thing (treat Trump like any other president), before Joe took over and gave his own long winded answer (something about how they should stop writing about Trump being Hitler and instead write about his bad appts--State, EPA, HHS, etc.)  Then the topic died as he went to commercial.

Joe tried to be gracious in thanking the audience for their patience (he has no idea), but seemed insincere and forced.

My question is: why was there so much strain at that table? Were H&H angry or unable to speak (normal thing for MJ) or had the Mar-a-lago topic been so corrupted by Joe they couldn't take it?

Also, re: Mar-a-lago.  If Joe said he's mad he can't stay there any more as he's been doing for 5 years (which would mean 2015, too, right?) did he mention how he has been paying for it?  Was he a member (six figures to join)? Or was he there for five years as a guest of Trump?

Also, that time table --coming to "set up an interview" at 7:30 on NYEve right before the big party--isn't that a little weird bit of a story even for Mika, Joe and Trump?  DID they interview him for 20 minutes (in his tuxedo) and will show it? Or....?  I just wondered if the strain at the table was because they think he's lying (like I do).

• Love 2

So Joe and his side piece were at Mar a Lago for a meeting about an interview? I know Trump can use a phone so why wouldn't you set it up that way for a time certain? Joe wanted to "party" but not get caught so this was his (paper thin) alibi. Come on Joe. 

Yeah and if you recall, Mika was caught going into Trump Tower a few weeks ago and her excuse was she was meeting with Ivanka about "interview opportunities." That excuse is getting thin. Why not wait a few days when Trump is back in NY for a meeting? Given the timeline they could have spent an hour or two there and still left in time for a movie and Marian Carey.

I agree their relationship with Trump for the last year if not longer has been inappropriate, there were a few weeks this summer when the first hour of every show was a rant about Trump. This was when Trump had attacked Judge Curiel and then the Khans. Vile behavior that no one could defend. There was a fair amount of discussion of this on this board. I think this is what they're basing their weak claim of objectivity on. 

Joe said the media should focus on Trumps conservative cabinet.

Well, that I agree with that. Other than the MSNBC night crew I have heard little how this cabinet is a Koch brothers' wet dream and not reflective of the populist campaign Trump occasionally ran. Trump may be a buffoon but whoever is picking this cabinet has an agenda to destroy the regulatory state.

• Love 6

A photo has surfaced from the Mar-a-lago NYE cocktail party and Joe and Mika are there in a circle of others with Trump. Doesn't look like a work meeting. Looks like a party The photo is in Maggie Haberman's  (@maggieNYT) twitter - I'm unable to link from my phone. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, captain1 said:

Oakville I swear you must have the patience of Job to wade through the whole crapfest.  And I agree with Padma - Joe is lying his ass off about the "meeting" at Mar-a-Lago.

Job is one of my favourite characters from the Bible. I will have to do more recaps at night during the next few months because I have to leave for work earlier now. 

I think it is very suspicious that Mika & Joe just happened to be at Mar a Largo on NYE. If Joe wanted to avoid being seen at Mar a Largo when there is a huge party at the club, he picked the wrong night to do it.

It is obvious to me that Mika & Joe did want to attend the New Years party, but were foiled by the CBS reporter. Heileman asked Joe who he kissed at midnight. Joe rolled his eyes. Angry Joe is fun to watch in small doses. Mika probably didn't want to come in today after Joe's tirade on twitter last night. Joe was probably in a bad mood last night after being exposed.

I do think that Elise Jordan ( Marcia Brady look a like) made a good point that Obama had off the record interviews with journalists and invited them to parties etc. 

Some one else on the panel said that they should focus on Trumps policies & cabinet appointees rather than his inflammatory tweets.

Joe also revealed that Trump's strategy with Putin will be to flatter him& tell him that Russia is a great power. Stop trying to corner them & belittle them like Bush or Obama

• Love 3

I call bullshit on the entire thing. Since when does anyone have to travel in person to see Trump to "arrange an interview"? For f----s sake, the guy is a walking media whore! All you have to do is call him up and you get him live. So now all of a sudden he requires a personal audience just to set up an appointment? And doesn't he have staff to arrange this stuff anyway? Why do Joe and Mika have to make a special pilgrimage to Mar-a-Lago for this purpose?

This is just nonsense. The real story is, they wanted to be there and rub elbows with the new administration. Joe and Mika are trying to portray themselves as having unique "access" to Trump and are furious that they are instead being called out as the sycophants and ass-kissers they truly are. If I have to listen to Joe compare himself to Ben Bradlee one more time I think I will vomit on my living room floor. He is not fit to pull weeds off of Bradlee's headstone.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 12
14 minutes ago, oakville said:

Some one else on the panel said that they should focus on Trumps policies & cabinet appointees rather than his inflammatory tweets.

I've given up on this show for the moment, and have to rely on you good folks to keep me posted on what's happening. Tell me, did anyone on the panel suggest that perhaps the media should focus on EVERYTHING the president-elect says and does? He will be the president for Christ's sake! Shouldn't everything he says - including comments on social media - be scrutinized?

• Love 4
Just now, jazzpno said:

I've given up on this show for the moment, and have to rely on you good folks to keep me posted on what's happening. Tell me, did anyone on the panel suggest that perhaps the media should focus on EVERYTHING the president-elect says and does? He will be the president for Christ's sake! Shouldn't everything he says - including comments on social media - be scrutinized?

I think it would be interesting if the media were to look at the social media comments in the context of "what he's trying to distract us from." The media seems to blindly focus on what he says (or, in his case, Tweets) instead of what he does (his dreadful cabinet appointments, draconian policies, utter lack of preparedness for his office, etc. etc. etc.)

• Love 4

Joe is in the midst of his second epic Twitter meltdown over NYE. He's fighting with both the Times and the Post. He's even getting shade from Chuck Todd, who tweeted out a link to the song "Let It Go." Joe's bully side is out in full force. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, may flowers said:

A photo has surfaced from the Mar-a-lago NYE cocktail party and Joe and Mika are there in a circle of others with Trump. Doesn't look like a work meeting. Looks like a party The photo is in Maggie Haberman's  (@maggieNYT) twitter - I'm unable to link from my phone. 

You can't see what Mika & Joe are wearing but Trump is talking to them in the crowd. It provides evidence that they did chat with Trump in public at the event.

Joe said he watched Groundhog Day with his kids after meeting with Trump. Did Mika watch the movie with them? Mika doesn't usually like movies. She probably made faces at the TV.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, oakville said:

You can't see what Mika & Joe are wearing but Trump is talking to them in the crowd. It provides evidence that they did chat with Trump in public at the event.

What you CAN see is the guy in the foreground with a glass of champagne prominently displayed. So much for the "we arrived and departed before the party started" excuse.

Joe is in the midst of his second epic Twitter meltdown over NYE. He's fighting with both the Times and the Post. He's even getting shade from Chuck Todd, who tweeted out a link to the song "Let It Go." Joe's bully side is out in full force. 

He is getting crucified for the Brokaw/Bradlee comparisons. It's so fun to watch.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 6

The business of going to Trump's NYE party wouldn't bother me so much if Joe would be less dictatorial about what the press and public focus our attention on.  The Tweets matter, his picks for the cabinet matter, his finances matter.  This entire thing matters, and getting mad at the country for not liking how this new President conducts himself in public forums is not helping.

• Love 6

You can't see what Joe is wearing in that photo, but he's clearly in the middle of a party conversation already well in progress. He also seems to be the one talking (big surprise) to the group surrounding him--some grey-haired guy that isn't Pence, Mika (of course. Can't see what she's wearing either) and TRUMP himself.  I do NOT think this is what "arranging an interview and leaving" looks like.

Glad Chuck dropped a hint that he's acting like an ass about the whole thing. Problem is, Joe wants his Trump friendship both ways.  "Yes! I'm a friend and insider who gets info no one else does!" and "We were very tough on him and not at all compromised by personal connections."

As was noted upthread, their "toughness" lasted about a month in an eighteen-month campaign.  He's a spineless lackey and should just embrace it and stop trying to pretend he has integrity when he doesn't.

• Love 3

Re: Carneghie Deli closing.  They made such a thing of it that I wonder if they'll mention that the man who once was the dishwasher there made a $10 million bid for it this weekend.  Kind of a cool story if that works out (esp. for Kornacki who I sympathize with about the trend of high-priced condos taking over and buying out nice, friendly local eating places.)

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Padma said:

You can't see what Joe is wearing in that photo, but he's clearly in the middle of a party conversation already well in progress. He also seems to be the one talking (big surprise) to the group surrounding him--some grey-haired guy that isn't Pence, Mika (of course. Can't see what she's wearing either) and TRUMP himself.  I do NOT think this is what "arranging an interview and leaving" looks like.

Glad Chuck dropped a hint that he's acting like an ass about the whole thing. Problem is, Joe wants his Trump friendship both ways.  "Yes! I'm a friend and insider who gets info no one else does!" and "We were very tough on him and not at all compromised by personal connections."

As was noted upthread, their "toughness" lasted about a month in an eighteen-month campaign.  He's a spineless lackey and should just embrace it and stop trying to pretend he has integrity when he doesn't.

I don't think this photo is inconsistent with what Joe had said yesterday. He did say they had to walk through the crowds, as directed by secret service, and he did say that Trump met them near some stairs where they chatted with a 10 year old before going upstairs with Trump. There is no sign of the 10 year old in the photo, but he could be obscured in the photo. Joe and Mika's clothing is inconclusive. However, if Joe was wearing a tux, it is likely that the photo would show some white around Joe's neckline, instead of just a dark area. Even though you can't see Mika's clothes at all, she doesn't appear to be heavily made up, and her hair looks a little disheveled. Based on her head alone, she doesn't look like she is attending a fancy black tie party.

Overall, I tend to believe Joe. His claims are so specific, and he would have to know that they could be easily proven false due to the nature of the event (photo, video, eyewitness).

Having said that, his reaction to the whole thing is embarrassingly over the top. He is acting like a petulant child. 

• Love 1

Something I just noticed:

Comments on MJ's Facebook page are not visible.  Each post shows tens-to-hundreds of posts, but cannot be viewed.  Very strange.

Edited by revbfc
  • Love 2

Check out this detailed link from Crooks and Liars site today, including Joe's "feverish" one after another desperate and angry tweets to explain his presence at Trump's Maralago NYE party. The tweets come off like a husband who got caught with lipstick on his collar (not his wife's)  and couldn't explain his missing in action at 3am to his wife's phone calls. 

Scarborough is a piece of slick shit. Sick of these two. MSNBC - you better explain this one.

http://crooksandliars.com/2017/01/joe-and-mika-mar-lago-party-joe-gets

joe_and_mika_at_mar_a_lago_nye_detail.jpg

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Eliot said:

I call bullshit on the entire thing. Since when does anyone have to travel in person to see Trump to "arrange an interview"? For f----s sake, the guy is a walking media whore! All you have to do is call him up and you get him live. So now all of a sudden he requires a personal audience just to set up an appointment? And doesn't he have staff to arrange this stuff anyway? Why do Joe and Mika have to make a special pilgrimage to Mar-a-Lago for this purpose?

This is just nonsense. The real story is, they wanted to be there and rub elbows with the new administration. Joe and Mika are trying to portray themselves as having unique "access" to Trump and are furious that they are instead being called out as the sycophants and ass-kissers they truly are. If I have to listen to Joe compare himself to Ben Bradlee one more time I think I will vomit on my living room floor. He is not fit to pull weeds off of Bradlee's headstone.

I agree. It's hilarious that Mika & Joe got caught. They must have forgotten that people have smartphones that take pictures, so appearing at Mar a Largo on a busy night will increase the chances that they are photographed. They keep trying to hard to get too close to the guests that they interview. This started with Gov Korzine,Christie,Sanford,McConnell. Their careers imploded, so Mika & Joe dropped them. Trump won, but if I was him I would be weary of taking Mika & Joe's advice

• Love 4

His tweets regarding this. I don know how to actually copy/embed orginal looking tweets. So here you go. But its over on the Crooks and Liars site.

Joe Scarborough ✔@JoeNBC

2. Around 7pm, I had a preset meeting with PEOTUS before his party trying to set up an interview (much like reporters at CBS & NYT do.

5:41 PM - 1 Jan 2017

3939 Retweets

180180 likes

Follow

Joe Scarborough ✔@JoeNBC

3. The event was black tie. Both Mika and I were in casual clothes, did not attend the party, and left before any "partying" began.

5:44 PM - 1 Jan 2017

4444 Retweets

170170 likes

Follow

Joe Scarborough ✔@JoeNBC

4. Nothing that Mika and I did in setting up this meeting was any different than what all good reporters and news hosts try to do daily.

5:45 PM - 1 Jan 2017

2727 Retweets

199199 likes

Follow

Joe Scarborough ✔@JoeNBC

5. Anyone suggesting otherwise is a hypocrite who ignores what great journalists from Ben Bradlee to Tom Brokaw have done for years.

5:47 PM - 1 Jan 2017

2626 Retweets

176176 likes

Follow

Joe Scarborough ✔@JoeNBC

6. I hope we get the interview.

5:47 PM - 1 Jan 2017

1010 Retweets

103103 likes

This is where Joe's thin skin and arrogance hoists him on his own petard. If he had merely calmly tweeted a "clarification" with his side of the story, this thing would have died before it blew up. But by lashing out at the CBS/NYT guy like a crazed bully, he made a one hour story a two- or three-day one. 

There are some stories on Mediaite.com on this fiasco, including links to an interview he did with Dylan Byers. Noteworthy in that interview is his bristling when Byers called him a pundit (Joe prefers "analyst." Whatever.)

• Love 4

I liked Chuck Todd's not-so-subtle rebuke of Joe's attack on journalists: "Chuck Todd ✔ @chucktodd    "You're so vain, you probably think this tweet is about you. New Year's resolution for all media (concierge&combative): you aren't the story!""

Funny because yesterday on MTP, Todd talked about "concierge media" which is someone whose main job is to direct positive attention TO Trump and negative attention AWAY from him.  Todd said "They're at every network--I won't name names" but the first ones I thought of were Mika and Joe.  So his tweet-rebuke of the gigantic ego in the middle of Joe's tweetstorm meltdown today was very welcome. (And seriously. Does Joe think he's a journalist? Why mention Bradlee and Brokaw? What's next, tomorrow he's like Cronkite? Maybe even Edward R. Murrow. 

The reality is that he's a partisan hack who, like his co-host, is lucky to be on television.  "You aren't the story" is good advice for MJ in the New Year. 

• Love 8