Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

(edited)

I posted a slightly spoilery article in the Spoilers Thread, but there was a good chunk of it that didn't involved spoilers, so I figured I'd post those paragraphs here for the non-spoiled people to discuss:

We're still teary-eyed. After watching that heartbreaking, ugly cry-inducing, miserable elevator ride from hell (literally!) in last Sunday's episode, our Emma and Killian-loving spirits have officially been crushed. But since Once Upon a Time's magical creators, Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis, have told us countless times that this is a series about hope, we had to know: Is Killian really gone for good?

"That's what they're saying on the Internet," Kitsis teased with a laugh to ET over the phone earlier this week. To which Horowitz added, "Yeah, I'm looking on my Twitter feed right now and I'm seeing a lot of emotional fans."

Before we grilled them for a more concrete answer (more on that later!), the showrunners revealed that they didn’t want to make Emma's Killian-saving mission an easy one.

"Emma went down to the Underworld saying she was going to split her heart and bring him back," Horowitz explained. "And if it had been that simple, I think it just wouldn’t have been that interesting. So it needed to not be that simple and it sure wasn't."

No, it sure as hell wasn't. In fact, we had a bone to pick with our favorite executive producers. Since the past 20 episodes of the season have been spent torturing this couple with Dark One curses and Underworld misadventures, we thought it was time to finally get an answer to the question that millions of fans have been pondering: Have Emma and Killian ever… consummated their relationship? (FYI: Our cheeks are still burning from asking that question.)

"You know what?" Kitsis began with a playful laugh. "I think that is a personal question that you would have to ask Hook or Emma, so if you ever see them at a bar, you should ask them. [...] We're just the writers," he added coyly. "We don’t ask what they do behind closed doors…"

We don’t know about you, but we're taking that as a "Yes."

Edited by Curio

"Emma went down to the Underworld saying she was going to split her heart and bring him back," Horowitz explained. "And if it had been that simple, I think it just wouldn’t have been that interesting. So it needed to not be that simple and it sure wasn't."

It's still not interesting.  They went down there and it DIDN'T work is just as simple, and plain "Duh!"

15 minutes ago, RadioGirl27 said:

I don’t blame him.  The showrunners suck at developing characters, but they excel at forgetting and ruining them.  I’m still pissed at them for shitting on the epic Robin/Maid Marian romance because they wanted to give Regina an iconic love interest.  Not to say she shouldn’t have one, but chose one that’s single. 

• Love 1

Wow The Hollywood Reporter isn't even trying to be subtle about it!  I hope for Sean's sake he's not burning any bridges with these interviews (and his tweets before the ep aired).  He is not a happy camper with how his story ended.

(edited)

I dunno, I think he kind of wanted to burn bridges with the producers/writers.  He said himself that he doesn't really feel up to returning to the show and that he turns down most shows he's been on that ask him to return later because he prefers moving on in his career.

Staying friends with the rest of the cast is all that matters to him, which I can certainly understand.

Edited by Mathius

It's interesting that in one of the articles he mentions the show isn't collaborative with the actors. I guess maybe certain actors? We know that Colin and JMo have improvised certain scenes. And JMo has mentioned her research on Emma's background and on fairy tales when she was getting ready to become the Dark Swan. Why would she do that if she has no input? 

39 minutes ago, RadioGirl27 said:

Can't blame him a single bit. He's right about everything regarding how his character has been treated and he's still handling it in a classy way with how he's talking about Kitsis and Horowitz and their abilities as writers. I'm not at all convinced they're "super smart" and know what they're doing. The EOnline interview that talks about how he'd just moved his family permanently to Vancouver when they called him and told him he's a goner made me feel for him even more. That must suck big time and no one can tell me the writers couldn't have told him early enough to at least cancel that move and keep his family in LA or the UK, not sure where they live. I actually applaud him for his stance on whether or not he'd come back too. The writers had their chance with the Robin Hood character for three full seasons. They messed it up big time, though luck if they suddenly feel like changing their minds about him again.

I don't know if it's the fault of the writer, the editor, or if it was an e-mail interview they printed verbatim, but "eluded" is not the same word as "alluded." Even if it was an e-mail interview, you'd think they'd have fixed that. Argh.

I don't blame him for being bitter. He was kind of jerked around, hired as a regular only to then have his character more or less ignored and then killed off. They have a habit of that -- they get excited about a character, hire them as a regular, then get bored or distracted and forget about the character.

• Love 4

Wow. It looks like A&E decided to kill Robin off only when they were planning for 5B. Sucks for Sean. But it's very obvious he is bitter. As for saying he wouldn't come back even if asked, it seems like "sour grapes" to me. I think Socha was smarter in the way he aired his grievances with the writing. I doubt Sean would be this pissed if A&E had given him a proper send-off. It was almost offensive the way he was side-lined and then killed-off this season.

2 minutes ago, KateJones said:

It's interesting that in one of the articles he mentions the show isn't collaborative with the actors. I guess maybe certain actors? We know that Colin and JMo have improvised certain scenes. And JMo has mentioned her research on Emma's background and on fairy tales when she was getting ready to become the Dark Swan. Why would she do that if she has no input? 

Emma/Jmo is the main star of the Show. So, I can imagine A&E getting input from her. I know Lana has had a hand in some of her story arcs as well. But by and large cast members don't have a say in the writing. What we consider improvisation are just really minor things that happen all the time--acting choices and directing choices play a part in bringing a character to life, but A&E will not approve things that go against their vision. For example, JMo improvised jumping on Colin at the S4 finale, and it was kept. But the CS hug from 3.12 was cut becasue it didn't fit their vision of Emma at that time (which makes sense considering the rest of 3B). 

• Love 1

It was strange reading those exit interviews, since usually, it's not so brutally honest.  He pointedly said that the episode we watched was not the episode he filmed.  In Robin Hood's last episode, it would indeed have been nice to give him a final scene with Roland and Little John.  Hopefully, he would change his mind about a cameo in the future... it would probably mean a lot for his fans to see him, but I can understand why he wouldn't want to do it.  

I have to say it's refreshing reading interviews where the actor is admitting he's not happy at how he's been treated.  A&E really screwed him over on this one - I can't blame him for being bitter.  I'm thinking 6A is definitely going to be Regina heavy!

(edited)
1 minute ago, Joanh23 said:

I have to say it's refreshing reading interviews where the actor is admitting he's not happy at how he's been treated.  A&E really screwed him over on this one - I can't blame him for being bitter.

Just what I was going to say. I actually like it when actors are honest about the process, because so often you'll see them having to be PC and not step on toes, when we can already read through the lines of what happened.

Edited by Curio
18 minutes ago, RedKeep said:

Can't blame him a single bit. He's right about everything regarding how his character has been treated and he's still handling it in a classy way with how he's talking about Kitsis and Horowitz and their abilities as writers. I'm not at all convinced they're "super smart" and know what they're doing. The EOnline interview that talks about how he'd just moved his family permanently to Vancouver when they called him and told him he's a goner made me feel for him even more. That must suck big time and no one can tell me the writers couldn't have told him early enough to at least cancel that move and keep his family in LA or the UK, not sure where they live. I actually applaud him for his stance on whether or not he'd come back too. The writers had their chance with the Robin Hood character for three full seasons. They messed it up big time, though luck if they suddenly feel like changing their minds about him again.

See this is what gets to me personally about the writers.

They have mini boot camps going on before they begin the writing process, so they must have an idea of what will be going down. I'd think they knew all the way back in July that Robin might not make it out of season 5 alive, no?

As a viewer, I had an inkling, a bunch of us had an inkling that Robin wasn't going to make it, and that was super early in the season. If they thought they wouldn't keep him past this season, why not just tell him? It's not hard. 

Clearly, they don't just like their "twists" in the stories, they also like their "twists" in real life when they're dolling out bad news to an actor.

That's super uncool.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, YaddaYadda said:

They have mini boot camps going on before they begin the writing process, so they must have an idea of what will be going down. I'd think they knew all the way back in July that Robin might not make it out of season 5 alive, no?

Responding in the Writers thread.

Those headlines sound much more inflammatory than the actual interviews were. I think Sean handled it all very professionally. Of course he's disappointed and surprised. But, he's there to serve the writing so he has to accept the story that's told. I do feel badly that they didn't make better use of the character. I think OQ had great potential, they just didn't write for them in an organic and individualistic way. It just felt like CS or Snowing redux.  I think OQ could have had its own iconic story.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

See this is what gets to me personally about the writers.

As a viewer, I had an inkling, a bunch of us had an inkling that Robin wasn't going to make it, and that was super early in the season. If they thought they wouldn't keep him past this season, why not just tell him? It's not hard. 

Clearly, they don't just like their "twists" in the stories, they also like their "twists" in real life when they're dolling out bad news to an actor.

That's super uncool.

The problem is their "cool twists" always end up being completely off-the-rails stupid and not thought out, and then we have another post in this thread about another actor not being happy. Socha was kept on for a big twist that never materialized. Neal's death played out the same as Robin -- under utilized for five episodes before his death episode. I still remember an interview from Jamie Dornan where he was like, "I just got hired and then they killed me." And how many characters are floating around somewhere with loose ends and loose actors? They did this to the first actor who played Robin and then he couldn't come back because he was cast in another show. I think the biggest difference between these reactions in the media is which actors have had a good career before this or know they will have a good one after. MRJ was already in Terriers and Socha was successful in the UK's Being Human. Dornan and Tom Ellis are probably thanking the acting gods for being able to get out of the Once mess now that they have much better careers. I think this was a big break for Sean, but having your agent send out an announcement that you're available may not be the best actor ego boost. And of course, it's in that perfect storm that they shoved him out to do the media interviews.

• Love 3

You know, I can't say I would be acting better than Sean if the same thing happened to me. But I will say I do appreciate when actors remain classy. JMO was treated just as bad on House (and she was an original cast member), but she remained classy and agreed to go back for the finale. I was over House at that point, but I still loved Cameron, and JMO being willing to go back meant that I was able to see her get an happy ending. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Are you happy with the way Robin's journey ended? 

In all honestly, no, I wouldn't say that I was. I felt like it was an abrupt end; I didn't feel the character had any development this year and wasn't really written for. That was disappointing for people who liked Robin Hood and liked him and Regina together. But I'm a company man and when you're an actor, you have to understand that our job is to serve the writing. I write myself and I understand how important it is to be true to what the writer's vision is. In all honestly, I don't feel that a character like Robin Hood got the development that he could have had. But I respect the way the guys want to run their show. You either have to be on board or not. I'm happy to serve the writers.

That right there is a thing of beauty. I'm a company man. It's just that the company is staffed with idiots. Idiots that I totally respect. And by the way, idiots, I have writing credits too, so I know a shitty writing "vision" when I see one. 

Honestly, though, I think he did a fairly good job of balancing his obvious disappointment with his obvious professionalism. Sounds like he's doing a bunch of cons this summer, and I imagine he'll continue to be a good Oncer. 

TVLINE | What do you mean by his “goodbye” to Little John, if Robin died on the spot…?

Actually, that’s not correct — it was me coming back [from the Underworld] and seeing Little John. He had been looking after Roland, so it was more of a reunion than a “goodbye.” But again, because Jason Burkart (Little John) is a lovely actor, and I love Raphael Alejandro…. It would have been nice to have those scenes seen by the audience.

Aww.I hope they add those to the deleted scenes on the S5 DVD. Although they probably wont, because TS;TW.

I vaguely remember that first rumors of MRJ being killed off came in January, right after the Christmas break, but in later interview, A&E said they had decided in July that Neal's story had reached its natural end (or some crap like that). Maybe they sit on that info because they don't want actors to phone it in for the whole season? I would imagine that there has to be some contractual aspect to it, like you have to give a regular 12 weeks notice that they're not being renewed?

Hopefully, like Tom Ellis, being Once's Robin is the gateway to bigger and better things. I think Lucifer is very sharp and funny as hell (so to speak). Obviously Rose McIver and David Anders are much better off with iZombie than spinning their wheels at Granny's. I don't particularly like Game of Silence, but I do think MRJ is acting the crap out of it - someday he will find the perfect vehicle for his clear talents. It will all work out, and it sounds like Sean is looking at it as a fresh challenge. 

Edited by saoirse
Fixed quotes
  • Love 4

TVLINE | Right, he now has a little a sister to hang with!

Yeah! (Sadly)And now they’re orphans. I hope somebody’s going to look after them now that Mom and Dad are dead.

And that is how you throw shade that is both subtle and accurate as hell. 

• Love 9

I wouldn't have said Sean came across as "bitter," I think he was just very candid and honest that it was sad and disappointing and a bit of a shock for him -- as I'm sure it would be for anyone in that situation unless they hated the job and wanted off the show. I can't see why anything he said there would have burned any bridges (unless he was lying about something).

I doubt even A&E would deny that they didn't really write much for Robin this season, and I would have agreed with him at the end of season 4 that it seemed like they wanted to keep him around so moving his family to Vancouver permanently was a safe bet.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Mathius said:

Spoilers in the link, but I thought I'd discuss a non-spoilery bit here.

Whatever makes you think it won't be well received? "It's time the people of Storybrooke started to believe in her as much as they believe in Emma and Snow White because she's given up more for them than anyone else." She's totally given up more for them. She killed her father all so they could live in a nice town and start new lives. So selfless. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Honestly, nothing Lana herself said was off here for once, she kept it totally neutral and just explaining Regina's own mindset without endorsing or condemning.  But good lord, the "journalist" who wrote the article could certainly not do the same, the title alone betrays that this is really an opinion piece masquerading as a "news" story.  How the heck did this article even get approved by the website's editor?

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 5

Yeah I can't say only SQers. If you haven't noticed the CS fandom is basically them against well everyone else. The hate for them is strong and I

I'm not only seeing it from SQers or SFers. The OQers are angry and blaming Hook and Emma for the death or Robin when really it's Hades who killed him and Zelena who didn't listen but whatever. Then their are the Rumple stans who hates Hook because Hook's had one of the better redemption's on the series. Then their are some of the Snowing fans also who I think are angry that Snowing gets jackshit from the writers.

• Love 1
(edited)
17 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

Is it odd that Jen didn't tweet anything about the finale? I realize they're on hiatus but she usually has something to say.

Not really. She rarely tweets directly from Twitter anymore. Everything she posts on Twitter has been linked from her other media accounts.  She hasn't done much regular tweeting since the fall.

Plus she's probably super busy prepping the movie she's directing. 

Edited by Stuffy

Were there any post finale interviews with Eddie and Adam?  I feel like in almost every other year they have had some sort of post finale wrap up and "can't wait for what's next" sort of articles.  I guess they might feel like it was covered in the pre-finale interviews or they're too busy with the new show?

I was wondering about that, too. You'd think the media outlets would have been all over the Evil Queen plot twist and wanting their opinions about it. I get that they're running another show right now, but it doesn't take long to do an hour-long phone interview. Maybe they also realized the finale wasn't all that great.

TV Line has a summary of Channing Dungey's press conference for Upfronts Week. Just a bit is Once related:

Among the other topics the ABC boss covered:

GOODBYE, LONG WINTER NAPS? | Dungey told TVLine, “We’re not doing as big a gap strategy as we may have done in the past,” with regards to benching shows such as Once Upon a Time and Grey’s Anatomy for multiple months at midseason. “There’s going to be certain shows that have slightly longer breaks, and certain ones that have very short breaks. I would prefer not to have big gaps, but this is the beginning of the evolution of this new strategy.”

Full article here.

Could this also mean the end of the half-season strategy then? I like the idea, but I don't know if it's been all that successful with these writers. They're so plot plot plot that I wonder if perhaps giving them a little more time to let a story breathe will be a better option next season. Of course, we know what happened when they did this in season 2, but I'm hopeful they may have some way to make it work with all the potential new characters in season 6 that Jekyll brought with him.

• Love 1