Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

(edited)

Eddy: My definition of hope is that things will get better.

Adam: My definition of hope is that Eddy is right.

ETA: I died. Oded Fehr is cast as Jafar. Aladdin is being played by Deniz Akdeniz 

Edited by Rumsy4
12 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Not that I don't love me some Oded, but for continuity's sake I wish Naveen was playing him.

I know! But apparently he's busy with filming for Sense 8.

24 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

All the swanqueen comments on the side are annoying me.

Well, Eddy didn't help things with that red leather wedding dress joke. Did he seriously not make the connection until Lana pointed it out?

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Curio said:

Well, Eddy didn't help things with that red leather wedding dress joke. Did he seriously not make the connection until Lana pointed it out?

Red leather has been Emma's signature look since the Pilot; Eddy puts his foot in his mouth often, but he shouldn't be auto-censoring on normal comments like this because a few nuts on the Internet may take it the wrong way. I mean, what's the worst that can happy? Some SQ fan will write a fanfic about Emma and Regina wearing red leather at their wedding. Great, I hope they enjoy it.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Joanh23 said:

ok I'm getting excited about S6 now - I love the idea of exploring the mythology of the saviour and what that means for Emma.   

Only as long as they handle it better than what they did with the mythology of the Dark One. If you only watched 5B, it's like Emma wasn't even the Dark One at all. It barely affected her. And apparently being a Dark One isn't nearly as difficult as being Regina dealing with her inner Evil Queen, because Emma has "no idea" what she's going through.

So yeah, after the Season 5 Finale Regina Pity Party and the Season 6 sizzle reel...screw it. I finally accept it, Adam & Eddy. Regina is the main character of this show now. I've tried to hold out hope that this wasn't the case, but the proof is all there. The best I can root for at this point is a Season 5 switcheroo situation where the Dark Swan dominated the discussion at Comic-Con, and Dark Swan was on all the promotional materials, but by the end of the season, it wasn't about Emma at all. 

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1

This was the most unexciting comic con for the Show in recent years. No wonder Ginny and RC skipped it! I wish there had at least been a Jen/Colin round table discussion, but I guess there wasn't anything concrete to talk about there. Even with the EQ thing, there's no new angle to pull. The Aladdin reveal was the most exciting part of the day, and it wasn't about the main characters. :-p

• Love 2

With the EQ we all know what to expect and apparently Regina was her conscience (which total fail). She's gonna go after Snow which I'm fine with because it's gonna give Ginny and Josh more to do than stand in the background. And she's going to go after Emma which we expected.

Aladdin meanwhile and Jafar was something we hadn't seen yet, and it was sort of new even though, you know Aladdin did something to Jafar (which insert eye roll here, here and there).

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

This was the most unexciting comic con for the Show in recent years. No wonder Ginny and RC skipped it! I wish there had at least been a Jen/Colin round table discussion, but I guess there wasn't anything concrete to talk about there. Even with the EQ thing, there's no new angle to pull. The Aladdin reveal was the most exciting part of the day, and it wasn't about the main characters. :-p

I think everyone was tired and it is very hot in SoCal, granted LA is way hotter than San Diego.  

Usually the OUAT folk come in the day before and have dinner at a certain restaurant in San Diego.  This year it looks like they gotten at late, skipped the dinner.  I don't think Colin does well with the air travel and lack of sleep.  He seemed subdued.  His answers seemed fragmented.  I get that way when I am tired and air travel is hard on my body.  I could be projecting.

it's too early in Season for anyone to know what A&E are cooking up, so they don't have anything to say.  given all the tweets and other fan comments you can see that they are very gaurded about what they say, but you can see them light up for the fans that are inspired by them.

(edited)

I usually like YNB as emcee, but the part where she made JMo and Colin hug was weird and unpleasant. 

It's moments like those where I cringe watching convention stuff. I hate all the "dance monkey dance" they make them do...why can't it just be an intellectual discussion where the moderator asks legit questions about the story? I get that the fans paid good money to attend, but I get such second-hand embarrassment at some of the things they request. I would totally be down with a panel where the moderator is the only one who asks questions, and if they do do fan questions, they should be moderated better.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, kitticup said:

Usually the OUAT folk come in the day before and have dinner at a certain restaurant in San Diego.  This year it looks like they gotten at late, skipped the dinner.  I don't think Colin does well with the air travel and lack of sleep.  He seemed subdued.  His answers seemed fragmented.  I get that way when I am tired and air travel is hard on my body.  I could be projecting.

Josh, Colin and Jen were filming late in Vancouver, flew in after everyone else, and got in pretty late. Jane Espenson posted that she was going to bed early because she had to get up 5am to get to the con. So if this is the time these guys had to get up at, it must have been a really exhausting couple of days.

I sort of find it sucks a bit to be asking these guys about anything for season 6 since they usually don't have much of an idea, or #nospoilers.

Jen joked in the MTV interview that they got a list of the 20 things they couldn't talk about and the two they could. So it's hard to say anything when you're muzzled about spoilers and details.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Camera One said:

It doesn't help that there probably isn't much to say in terms of character development even if they could.

Right? If we're struggling just to come up with speculation based on what little the finale gave us, I can't imagine the cast knows much more than we do.

(edited)

I guess they only have the first episode or so or however much they've filmed so far. Plus with the restrictions that Souris mentioned.  You could see the wheels turning in the heads, for example when Michael Ausiello asked Jen and Colin about CS.  They looked at each other... Colin said "Well, in Storybrooke there's always something" while Jen was like, "Well, they do kind of..."  I didn't actually finish listening to the reply since I'm (semi after my recent "setback" lol) avoiding spoilers (though I seriously doubt any spoilers were actually given), but it must not be easy.  

It's frustrating that we only really hear them express opinions in these tease interviews, rarely AFTER they've filmed a season.  I suppose on audio commentaries, though I haven't really listened to those and each person only does one anyway.  I liked the "On Location" featurettes they did on "Lost" DVDs, where a BTS person dropped by during the filming of episodes and had the cast (and sometimes the crew like directors, writers, set designers and costumers) discuss the episode and what the characters were feeling/going through.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
(edited)

I can't wait for the Knight with Cruella feature on the S5 DVD set. I love Cruella and have to see what she does in the Underworld post-5B.

Season 5 is coming to Netflix on August 26th.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
(edited)

Some quotes from Amy Manson/Merida:

Scots actress wins Trainspotting role after filming with Robert Carlyle on American show

The actress, who was raised on an Aberdeenshire farm, says Carlyle gave her valuable advice about Tinseltown bosses when she arrived on the set of Once Upon A Time. She added: “I remember he said, ‘Amy, these are Americans writing for a Scot so you just either do it your way or ignore them, right pal?’

“He said, ‘Don’t listen to them.’ And I was like, ‘No, I won’t.’ He’s good fun.”

The show has a big following worldwide among young women and Amy loves the female empowerment her character embodies.
She added: “I think her hair says it all – this unruly, unkempt, wild-spirited individual who has grown up around men, supports feminism but loves people and life and doing the right thing. But she’s very fair and is a hard worker.

“What has shocked me is the response on Twitter and Instagram from young girls – how her zest for life has given them the same or has helped them out of bullying at school.
“Some of the messages have got quite dark. You just have to be careful about what you say. I’m not a doctor.”

Despite the success, she turned down the chance to be a regular on the show.
She added: “I declined only because it would have kept me unable to do any other work for at least six months.
“It is all down to storylines and I would rather be back at the Edinburgh Lyceum working all year than being used every other episode in a TV show.”

Edited by AnotherCastle
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, AnotherCastle said:

Despite the success, she turned down the chance to be a regular on the show.

Thank God! Seriously...whatever small thread I'm holding on to with this show, Merida would have destroyed.

• Love 6

Wow.  Amy really likes burning bridges, doesn't she?  She was offered a regular spot?  I find that hard to believe after she bashed the 5a ending.  If anything, they just brought her back in 5b to show that she was really leaving Storybrooke.   Carlyle can get away with saying those things about the show because he's technically a big star but unless she wants to work in Edinburgh for the whole of her career, she should learn to be a little better at public relations, or no one will come calling.

• Love 2

I too find it hard to believe Amy Manson was offered a regular spot. As a replacement for Sean? Riiight... 

I had to laugh at Carlyle's advice about the Scottishness aspect of her character. I bet all the main actors follow some version of this advice when it comes to playing their parts in the Show. 

• Love 1

Merida as a regular?  Seriously?  Oh boy, that would have been the biggest nightmare ever.  Why would she be asked to be a regular when other characters with more potential weren't?  I really can't see what A&E would have written for her, unless they considered pairing Red with Merida, though it's not like Megan Ory was asked to be a regular again either.

• Love 1
(edited)

I still can't stop laughing at this.  I guess there are people more delusional than A&E.

Or maybe Eddy said, "I'd be really disappointed if you weren't a regular" or "I'd be disappointed if we didn't get to see Merida again" and she didn't realize what that actually meant.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I still can't stop laughing at this.  I guess there are people more delusional than A&E.

Or maybe Eddy said, "I'd be really disappointed if you weren't a regular" or "I'd be disappointed if we didn't get to see Merida again" and she didn't realize what that actually meant.

Too funny! lol

• Love 1

Unless a reporter or editor misinterpreted what she said, I'd be surprised if she straight up lied to the media about being offered a regular role. She stands to gain very little and lose plenty in credibility if she's caught.

Anyway, sounds like Michael Socha has become a cautionary tale. 

What did she stand to gain by bashing the 5A finale on Twitter? And yet she did it. She often doesn't seem to think through her actions - maybe she thought she could get away with it because it wasn't a big magazine? 

I actually wouldn't be at all surprised if they offered for Merida to become a regular. They have a habit of getting excited about some shiny new thing -- they love some guest actor or character enough to make them a regular, and then promptly forget about that person. If they did make the offer, she's smart to turn it down. There's been one Colin O'Donoghue case in which a relative unknown gets cast for a recurring role, they fall in love and make him a regular, and he becomes a celebrity who gets action figures and his face on giant billboards, with the writers continuing to give him good material and story lines. There have been far more cases of them making a recurring character a regular, and then that actor gets maybe a minute of screen time in every other episode for a season before being dropped, sometimes even without a sendoff. With Merida, there's not even the action figure possibility because all the merchandising is going to be based on the movie version.

• Love 2

Colin became a regular before we even really saw him as Hook. It felt like they casted him early morning and 5 hours later he was a regular to me. Compared to others it just seemed like they've wanted Killian Jones from jump compared to others.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, mjgchick said:

Compared to others it just seemed like they've wanted Killian Jones from jump compared to others.

Probably, but I can imagine that if you're a young, relatively unknown actor who gets cast in a recurring role on this show and then they talk about making you a regular, it would be tempting to think that you'll follow Colin's path rather than any of the other guests who've become regulars, when he was a rather singular case. I don't think they started crediting Colin as a regular instead of a guest until maybe the very end of season 2, though I think I've heard that that was already in the works before his first appearance.

2 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

I actually wouldn't be at all surprised if they offered for Merida to become a regular. They have a habit of getting excited about some shiny new thing -- they love some guest actor or character enough to make them a regular, and then promptly forget about that person. If they did make the offer, she's smart to turn it down. 

I guess you never know with A&E. It's entirely possible they thought she was such a "badass" female character to have around. 

I believe Colin was made a regular before his first episode aired. I guess once A&E were able to review the footage for the episodes they'd already shot with him. 

I'm shocked OUAT won 3 awards at the TCA's including one for CS, the show, and the extra gal. 

Guess ABC still likes the show, if they're willing to give award shows money to buy awards.

23 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

I guess you never know with A&E. It's entirely possible they thought she was such a "badass" female character to have around. 

I believe Colin was made a regular before his first episode aired. I guess once A&E were able to review the footage for the episodes they'd already shot with him. 

From what A&E have said, he fit into their long-term plans but because Colin was unknown and they wanted to make sure the chemistry was right with Jen, they hedged their bets by not making him a regular until they knew he would work out. Clearly they liked what they saw from him after the first few eps of filming so they pulled the trigger on making him a regular quickly. They literally announced his regular status a few hours after they announced his initial casting. And they upped him to regular midseason, which isn't usually done -- it's usually put into effect for the next full season.

Teen Choice is completely rigged, but I can't help but be happy that Colin & Jen won for Liplock. I'm guessing the change in ABC presidency may have something to do with ABC laying out the money for the awards this year.

5 hours ago, mjgchick said:

She must really be a huge fan of OUAT. 

I don't know if Channing Dungey is a fan or just working to promote one of her network's shows. However, she was one of the execs who helped develop the show & was the one who told A&E it was a bad idea to kill off Charming in the pilot, which they'd originally planned.

FWIW, Colin was just spotted picking up Georgina Haig & her husband at the Vancouver airport. They could just be visiting because they're friends, or she could be guesting on some other of the million shows filmed in Vancouver (like Dead of Summer for an Elsa/Anna/Ingrid reunion!). But it would be cool if she

had a cameo in an Emma dream or something.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 2

This is somewhat related to the show (maybe it counts as a cast member in another role), but they're doing a fundraising campaign to do some repairs on the Lady Washington (the ship that plays the Jolly Roger). At the $25 level, you can get a Lady Washington key chain or refrigerator magnet. At $50 you get a letter from the captain. I bet they'd raise a lot more money if they made it so that you got a letter from her fictional captain. Here's the link, in case you're inclined to support:

https://www.generosity.com/education-fundraising/give-lady-washington-the-spars-she-needs-to-sail--2

• Love 2