Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

Hmmm...Matt hasn't been very enthusiastic about the Show since about 4B, IIRC. But his terse replies do seem to suggest some kind of falling out. Matt has stuck with A&E even through the Graham debacle, when A&E basically threw Matt under the bus. Matt had said in a video that a scene of Emma confronting Regina over Graham had been filmed but cut in the s1 finale. Both Adam and Matt kept denying it, but fans uncovered an old video of Matt saying that Adam had fiven him the info. There was no response from either party to that video.

A&E have to own their Darker storylines and stop pandering false hope. They want to have their cake and eat it too. The Split Queen storyline is a perfect example of this. But they fail to see that their viewers don't care for relentless angst with little to no payoff. 

• Love 4

I read all Matt's tweets on the subject and he didn't explicitly say he is no longer covering the show. I got the impression his terseness was in response to the obnoxious Rumbelle fans who kept bugging him and didn't know when to quit. It's pretty clear he is fed up with them. I can see a reporter not wanting to cover a show anymore not because of a falling out with the show runners but because they are done with the needy fans and their bullshit.

23 minutes ago, Serena said:

Those are indeed weird responses. I think it could be both: either he's sich of Rumbelle or of Once in general. It seems like A&E have given the same Rumbelle answer since S2.

But without ever having shipped the couple, I could accept that yeah, there was hope or whatever. Rumple had a past that Belle was well aware of, that she had accepted, so fine, whatever. But you can't keep peddling the same message after season 4, after season 5, and especially not after 6x08. How do you find hope in that? Because seriously, they shined the light on something extremely ugly in that relationship. This is the part where you tell the person to get a restraining order.

Shippers notwithstanding, I can see where Matt might be annoyed with the show and the show runners. Like GTFO, A&E. Maybe they don't answer these questions if they're going to spew this sort of garbage. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 1

Show runners give interviews to promote the show. That's part of their job. They aren't going to say anything negative, just teases to get people to watch. If Rumbelle is indeed headed for a breakup and A&E have known this all along they aren't going to say that in interviews. They pretty much have to dissemble until that moment arrives.

26 minutes ago, orza said:

Show runners give interviews to promote the show. That's part of their job. They aren't going to say anything negative, just teases to get people to watch. If Rumbelle is indeed headed for a breakup and A&E have known this all along they aren't going to say that in interviews. They pretty much have to dissemble until that moment arrives.

Rumbelle has been broken up for ages. A responsible showrunner would say something like "We've been trying to show what happens in a relationship when all trust is broken, but there is still a child in the mix. A mother would have conflicting desires for her child to have a father but also to protect the child. We are looking forward to exploring this dilemma Belle is in." Not, "OMG, they could totally come back from this, you should totally have hope this absolutely awful man can get back his abused wife.". It becomes frightfully irresponsible at some point. That point was season 5 at the absolute latest.

• Love 6

Now that Matt has clarified, I think he's just given up on Rumbelle. As others have said, he gets the same quote every time he asks for Rumbelle scoop. It's also possible that he no longer wants to support what's become an abusive relationship. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Serena said:

"OMG, they could totally come back from this, you should totally have hope this absolutely awful man can get back his abused wife.". It becomes frightfully irresponsible at some point. That point was season 5 at the absolute latest.

They haven't said anything of the sort, just the usual noncommittal stuff. I don't see anything irresponsible about that. This is just a campy TV show, not a serious drama trying to depict real life with very special episodes. If fans are taking things way too seriously then that is on them, not the show runners.

I agree they should have ended things with Rumbelle last year but that may not have been possible. Once Rumple and Belle break up there is no reason to keep Emilie de Ravin around. Belle's sole purpose as a character was to advance Rumple's story. The network couldn't fire her last year because she was pregnant but it can legally do that now, if it wants to.

You'd think after all these years, the fans would catch on and realize that 90% of what A&E say in interviews is total hogwash. Remember when they said Will would see a lot of screen time in 4B and they'd resolve the whole Ana/Will plot?

• Love 3

We've taken apart their early season interviews for multiple seasons after each one has fully aired and demonstrated just how much they lie and obfuscate, so I never even bother to care about what they say anymore. Adam has flat out lied when asked specific questions as well. I don't blame the media for getting sick of being stuck with publishing these comments and then dealing with angry readers after it's proved to be more lies.

• Love 7
On 17/11/2016 at 8:06 AM, Souris said:

They also lied about seeing Emma/Hook domestic scenes. Among many, many, many other lies.

I think their biggest lie was for 5A with the HUGE whopper on Emma's motivation for giving into the Darkness.

'What she thinks they did'

Meaning her family did something that made her do it....they did NOTHING...She did by creating DO Killian! Emma was allowed to lie because she's a fictional character in the narrative...but A&E told an outright lie... (ok ...maybe they changed their minds mid seasons but that one still smarts!)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PixiePaws1 said:

I think their biggest lie was for 5A with the HUGE whopper on Emma's motivation for giving into the Darkness.

'What she thinks they did'

Meaning her family did something that made her do it....they did NOTHING...She did by creating DO Killian! Emma was allowed to lie because she's a fictional character in the narrative...but A&E told an outright lie... (ok ...maybe they changed their minds mid seasons but that one still smarts!)

5a was so messy, the motivations were all over the place and it really didn't match up from the start of the arc to the end.  They made it seem like Emma was angry at everyone when it was always her own actions.

• Love 3

From a new RC interview promoting T2:

For Carlyle – whose career has encompassed male stripping in The Full Monty and Russian-accented Bond villainy in The World Is Not Enough – nine months of every year since 2011 has been spent on the set of Once Upon a Time. On a show of such longevity, he says the directors are essentially there “to keep the ship steady”. He sounds more polite than enthused. (In 2015, he directed his own first film, The Legend of Barney Thomson, and wants to make more). And Vancouver, while diligently praised, isn’t Glasgow. “It’s a lovely city. But culturally it is different, and I miss the craic. I’m at the stage where even though Britain is in a mess politically, I think it’s time to pack up and come home.”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/08/t2-trainspotting-robert-carlyle-begbie-interview

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

Looks like Carlyle is over ONCE. Maybe he's being killed off this season, whether it is the last one or no. 

Please. Not that I really care if Carlyle stays or not. I just want Rumple dead, even if he gets the Neal treatment and gets romanticized. Belle does that already. (Except, nobody better be naming their babies Rumplestiltskin. Reputation aside, no child should be stuck with that.)

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

Looks like Carlyle is over ONCE. Maybe he's being killed off this season, whether it is the last one or no. 

LBR, he's been over Once for awhile. It can't be artistically fulfilling to an actor of his quality.

They overdid the Rumple-chooses-power-over-love plot. It's the same thing over and over. Carlyle probably let them know he wouldn't be renewing his contract--hence the bigger focus on Rumbelle this season. Even then--they're literally just redoing Peter Pan with the Black Fairy. 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 1
On 1/8/2017 at 5:40 PM, Souris said:

LBR, he's been over Once for awhile. It can't be artistically fulfilling to an actor of his quality.

His interest died along with the show's quality - in 4B.

And yeah, this is definitely his last season, he wouldn't say something that blatant otherwise.  Maybe he's getting killed off in 6x16?  A&E are writing it themselves after all, and it would be just in time for Robert to go on promotion tours for T2.  It would be pretty reminiscent of MRJ leaving the show.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 1

The actual script is being written by someone else, yeah, but that doesn't change that A&E are still the chief architects behind it.

This actually happened before, with 1x10 ("7:15 A.M").

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 1

Once Upon a Time Facebook page posted this:

Show off your Oncer knowledge! Who did Regina name Henry after? #TriviaTuesday

You're going to have to give me something harder. To do that, you'll probably have to dig deep into 2B, which is a blur even to the most seasoned of fans. It's sad how well I know this show inside and out... I could be using that space in my brain for better things. (Like annoying jingles.)

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

I find this very interesting.

Colin and JMO are the only members in the cast that RT'd the article about S7.

Now they along with the creators are going to a panel where they will potentially screen episode 11.

The way I see it, it looks like these two play heavily into their ideas for S7. 

5 minutes ago, Curio said:

Or maybe they just happen to be the only actors who aren't busy with filming right now. But hey, I'm so here for some actual soundbites and non-speculative articles about 6B.

That'd be the case if there was not a connection with the S7 business. I find it interesting.

And as for cast members not doing anything, Bex is example #1.

12 minutes ago, CCTC said:

Josh and Ginny left twitter and social media in general, so they would have been unable to respond or re-tweet.

I'm not saying they won't be in S7. I'm just saying it's interesting that it's just JMO and Colin.

Actually, I totally think it is important who they choose to promote when a show is declining and trying to do something about it.

And, I am sure that Emma will have a big part in the second part of 6b even if Jen was really leaving Emma  Swan will not be departing the show like Robin Hood. 

But, yes it is a good sign that they recognize that CS is a good seller for the show and that CS will also have a bigger part in the second half of 6b like I thought. 

It's ironic they'll use Jen and Colin to promote the show, but they won't give them scenes together. Jen and Colin will work together more on panels than on the actual show! It makes me roll my eyes. But it is also possible they're simply the most popular actors who aren't needed on-set much for that ep. I guess they'll be finishing 6x17 or just starting 6x18 during their appearance.

That's within driving distance for me. Before 6A, I'd have jumped at the chance to go see them.

The day pass for the Once panel day has already sold out.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 4

It's within driving distance for me too, but it was sold out by the time I found out about it. I also don't have the energy to do these fan cons, honestly.  I'm sure it will be fun and we'll hopefully get some good Information out of it.

1 hour ago, OnceUponAJen said:

It's within driving distance for me too, but it was sold out by the time I found out about it. I also don't have the energy to do these fan cons, honestly.  I'm sure it will be fun and we'll hopefully get some good Information out of it.

There are still some Once-panel-only tickets available at the SCAD site. I probably won't go (it's about a five-hour drive), but I figured, eh, for $5 I'll go ahead and buy one.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

Y'all are brave. I don't think I could stomach a panel with A&E. Jen and Colin are wonderful, but I don't know if they can balance it out. 

I've attended a panel with A&E once, but it wasn't for OUAT. They were screening Dead of Summer and it was kind of awkward because they kept making jokes that the audience wasn't laughing at (Kitsis made a comment about how he was glad he didn't need to use a filter like he does in front of an OUAT crowd), and then no one had many questions about Dead of Summer because most of the people in the crowd didn't really enjoy the pilot. I left the Q&A early to get to another panel, but I doubt I missed much.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 3

I'd love it if we got some hard questions asked. I know questions are likely screened, but I'd just like to watch them squirm. Why would they call it the Year of Snowing when they put the characters under a curse where they literally sleep through entire episodes? Why would a de-Saviored Emma lose all intelligence and act like a five year old? Why should I care about any guest stars stories when we know they'll just disappear without resolution? What's with all the victim blaming? Is it their intent to signal we need bullies because that's the only thing that makes us strong and we should thank them for hurting us?

• Love 9
10 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

I'd love it if we got some hard questions asked. 

If I could go to the panel, these would be my Top 4 questions:

1. When will Emma find out Regina killed Graham? In an article posted by Entertainment Weekly in October 2014, you are on the record saying, "First of all, [Emma] doesn’t know that Regina killed Graham. If you look back at season one, before Emma believed, when she talks to Henry about the aftermath of Graham’s death, she says what the autopsy was, which was an aneurysm. She still believes that." You later said, "[Emma] actually doesn’t know that Regina was behind it. That’s never been something that has come up. If it did, I’m sure she would take issue with it." If this is something Emma would take issue with, why has it never been brought up? If Emma did ever find out, how would that impact her friendship with Regina? If Emma still doesn't know, that means Regina has been keeping this a secret from Emma for all these years, and surely this would have a major impact considering Graham was someone Emma cared deeply about and had potential romantic feelings for.
  2. Why was Hook's adventure to find the magic bean and find Emma in NYC never actually shown on screen? All throughout the second half of Season 3, a mystery was presented about how Hook was able to find Emma, but instead of dedicating a flashback to Hook ditching his crew, outrunning the curse by himself, finding a magic bean, trading his ship to Blackbeard, and jumping through a portal to New York City, you decided to sum this all up rather quickly during the Season 3 finale in dialogue. What lead you to that decision, and do you regret not showing any of that adventure on screen?
  3. Will Hook (or anyone else) ever find out Rumple pushed Milah into the River of Lost Souls? What was your rationale behind not allowing Hook and Milah to share one final moment together in the Underworld? Also, why was it necessary for Regina to reconcile with a horse?
  4. Where is Will? What happened to him? Did he find Ana? Where in the Wonderland timeline did his stint on the main show take place?
Edited by Curio
  • Love 6

You repeatedly claim in interviews and panels like this one that this show is about hope. How then do you rationalize that message of hope with the stories of Kurt & Owen Flynn, the Count of Monte Cristo, Percival, and Charlotte?

I wish someone in the media could ask any of the above questions and get an actual answer, but we know that won't happen because the media needs the showrunners' cooperation to get stories and they'll not only not get any answers, but will be frozen out of any future scoops. A fan asking at a panel like this would be the best shot at getting these kinds of questions out there. 

• Love 3

That's a good one because they keep saying the show is dark but not bleak or something to that effect, but isn't it bleak from Charlotte's perspective?  She didn't even do anything and she died.  She never went back to take care of her mother.  

And follow-up question.  Why didn't we see Snowing react to their beloved handmaiden dying in cold blood?  Walk us through your planning stages.  How did this death result in Snow wanting to teach again?

Edited by Camera One

If they're screening questions beforehand, maybe have some safe backup questions to tell the organizers as decoys, such as, "Who's your favorite Disney character who hasn't shown up on the show yet?" 

• Love 2

It probably wouldn't be nice to put Colin on the spot in front of his bosses (since there's not really a way to answer seriously without suggesting that the writing is failing), but I'd be curious to hear how he believes Hook's recent experiences -- being the Dark One, realizing he could resist the Darkness, dying, being tortured, learning the truth about his big brother, and being miraculously brought back to life -- have affected him.

• Love 3

honestly, I hope there question about the epic cs adventure. What Adams really mean by it?  together or no? It could be the last chance for ever to have a cs centric, after all.

I know snowing fans are not happy about the sleeping curse but they did have 2 centric in the first half and ep. 17 is probably heavily about them.  Rumbelle did have ep. 9 and seem together in a lot of episode going forward ep.13. I know rumbeller was not happy with the storyline but they did have it.

OQ do have a storyline together upcoming. So, if theoretically cs are about to be engage will they have a focus to leading to it. Maybe a centric like all the others cannon relationship will have.  

There Emma's potential depart and it could be show too

In a case it will be Emma last year on the show. How Jen will like her story to end?  

And to Adams and Eddy what focus the only original main character of their show and personal princess Leia deserve to have big last storyline .  Do they think Emma is she deserving to have a heroine depart or just be sidelining like Robin or Will could be enough?

I know it is all cs focus but....

Edited by maryle