Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

What? Lily Sparks isn't an expert on show canon? Color me shocked.

I think the problem is that Lana and A&E have played up the "Emma and Regina are the best of friends" in the media to a level that is not reflected in the show. So fans of that relationship have formed these unrealistic beliefs of where they are and where they're heading. Don't they remember that Regina just said that her first instinct on seeing Hook was to rip his throat out? Can you blame Emma for thinking Regina capable of killing her?

• Love 3

I think she was right about how the show treated the Belle-Hook conversation. In 4B, I think it was, Regina came to ask Belle for help in dealing with Rumpel and Belle responded with, "Why the hell should I help you?" Regina kept Belle in an asylum for years; Hook attempted to kill her twice (one of the attempts being shooting her). I would think she'd be a little less blasé about it.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I think she was right about how the show treated the Belle-Hook conversation. In 4B, I think it was, Regina came to ask Belle for help in dealing with Rumpel and Belle responded with, "Why the hell should I help you?" Regina kept Belle in an asylum for years; Hook attempted to kill her twice (one of the attempts being shooting her). I would think she'd be a little less blasé about it.

Responding in the relationships thread.

2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

In 4B, I think it was, Regina came to ask Belle for help in dealing with Rumpel and Belle responded with, "Why the hell should I help you?"

No, you're thinking of 3B, where Regina asked for help in dealing with Zelena.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, sharky said:

I think she recorded for today for Oct. 10. She's in town for NYCC and the show may have Monday off for the holiday so they're stockpiling interviews. 

Monday is off in Canada because it's Thanksgiving. 

3 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Monday is off in Canada because it's Thanksgiving. 

Oh, I was thinking "the show" as in Live with Kelly, not Once. Monday is Columbus Day in the US.

Edited by sharky

I've gotten behind on my commenting, what with RL getting in the way. Seems to me we just had this convo on another thread as well, and I'm getting really f*cking tired of it. Belle defended Rumple against Hook's (perfectly true) accusations. Rumple then ripped out Hook's heart, made him do bad things against his will, and nearly killed him. Maybe, juuuust maybe, that's influenced Belle's view of Hook. Maybe she realizes she misjudged him, and that's why she's more willing to forgive him. Or maybe it's just that the writers have no interest in writing Belle/Regina, while Belle/Hook has more story potential for them because it feeds into the Hook/Rumple feud. It's not like Regina doesn't get too much enough story as it is.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Dianthus said:

I've gotten behind on my commenting, what with RL getting in the way. Seems to me we just had this convo on another thread as well,

That's because that one was an offshoot from this one. I still find it another case of the writers not being consistent. I know everyone loooves to complain about the writers letting Regina off the hook all the time, I’m just pointing out that Lily Sparks was correct that the same happened with Hook here. ;)

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 1

Hook hasn't gotten nearly as many Free Passes as Regina, so Lily Sparks/Broken Clock, whatever. As I mentioned, he ended up as Rumple's meat puppet for part of an arc, mostly due to it being his turn to hold the idiot ball. That's only one of the many ways he's suffered over the course of the show. The way Regina was whining and carrying on during last season's fiasco...I mean...finale, you'd think no one else ever got a taste of real suffering. Hell, Hook's had it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner all his live long days. One of Regina's victims isn't being fair to her? Boo-f*ckin-hoo.

• Love 1

I really don't think there's any point in trying to determine who (supposedly) suffered most and who's had it worst on this show. But even if one wants to engage in that type of conversation, I'm not sure this is the right thread for it.

1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I picked Neal for who Emma should be with.

Felt the need to get beat up, eh?

Clearly, having a pulse (most of the time) really gives a guy a leg up in the romantic sweepstakes. 

I really don't want to see the show tackle Pocahontas. Not even a little bit.

I voted in the back from the dead question even though I don't really want any of them to be brought back. I barely wanted Hook to be brought back despite liking the character quite a bit. 

Perhaps he is laying the groundwork for an ongoing source of income for when he exits the show. I'm assuming he already know when that is. Or maybe he just wants to spent a nice all-expenses-paid luxury weekend in Paris with his wife.

57 minutes ago, Serena said:

That's weird. Does he need money for a new movie (no judgement here)?

This show at the most has another season left, and maybe he just wants to give it a go. The number of cons Jen and Colin are doing shocked the hell out of me tbh. They know the show is almost over.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, sharky said:

So is this the Fairy Tales alternate convention headed by Lana's people?

It is. There are basically two competing Paris cons a week or so apart. This one with Lana, Emilie, Bex, Robert and Beverly. And the Xivents one with JMo, Colin, Jamie Chung, Rose McIver and Elliott Knight.

• Love 1

After reading that article about the money celebs can make at cons, I'm guessing Robert and Colin and Jen are doing it for the money. And why not? It's their right.

Norman Reedus from The Walking Dead does at least one con every month. He's got a nice steakhouse outside Atlanta to show for it.

• Love 4

I was watching a video on the web theorizing what kind of poison the Evil Queen could have used to poison Snow White with. Halfway through, Once Upon a Time came up as a source of information. It immediately lost all credibility. :P

They settled on deadly nightshade, if anyone is curious.

18 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

I was watching a video on the web theorizing what kind of poison the Evil Queen could have used to poison Snow White with. Halfway through, Once Upon a Time came up as a source of information. It immediately lost all credibility. :P

They settled on deadly nightshade, if anyone is curious.

I thought that video was hilarious. I liked how he explained the red room, but he had a point. Why do people keep trusting Rumple?

• Love 1

RE: Robert Carlyle doing cons, there was a fan reporting back in 2015 that during RegalCon they were told that RC was looking to join the Magic is Coming Con.  It was supposed to take place at Disneyland Paris, but the whole con got cancelled before RC and con came to an agreement. After that he got into talks with Fairy Tales for their 2015 con but it didn't work out.  If that story is true,  he has been wanting to do Paris cons far a while. ;)

Edited by AnotherCastle
  • Love 1

Wow. Matt Mitovich basically said he's going to stop covering Once because he doesn't care anymore. He's been a big supporter of the show over the years, and that's a big site that has covered the show a lot in the past.

ETA: Just remembered, we know that A&E have blackballed a reporter before for being critical. They may have been angry about Matt's article comparing the romantic B&tB trailer with the horrid state of RB. We know he talked to them about RB. Words may have been exchanged.
Edited by Souris
  • Love 2

That's pretty big indeed. He's been fairly unenthusiastic about the show in his review articles and even more so in the comments on said articles for quite a while, but I also tend to think something else must have happened if he's indeed planning to just drop the show in the middle of the season. And this tweet sounds like that's what's he going for too:

• Love 1