Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

Colin's down to 53% right now. This is going to be a rough round. Especially because I don't think we have half the number of people participating this year (remember all the voting parties?). And it's during a weekend where I'm actually busy. I'll toss Colin a vote when I can.

I just realized something. Did they stop doing promo shoots for each season? The last ones I remember were for the Neverland arc. I used to enjoy those. I'm really surprised they didn't do any for the Frozen arc.

Edited by Writing Wrongs

I just realized something. Did they stop doing promo shoots for each season? The last ones I remember were for the Neverland arc. I used to enjoy those. I'm really surprised they didn't do any for the Frozen arc.

Basically. Besides the official season poster(s), for Frozen all we got were frozen objects with a quote from one of the characters, like Hook had a frozen hook, Emma had her bug. The chipped cup. I don't remember anything for 4b besides pics of the QoD. For 5a all we got were the characters (from season 2-3 pics) photoshopped onto a Camelot-like backdrop.

So, yeah, we're due for new promo shoots honestly. Every other show on abc gets new promo shoots every year except Once. All we get are our season 2-promo-shoot characters photoshopped (badly) onto a (sometimes) new back drop.

:(

I admit I was taken for a bit because, well, it's this show. If we're getting a freaking CGI scarecrow this week, Mickey Mouse isn't that far off on the spectrum of ridiculousness. I wouldn't be surprised if they used him to boost ratings for S6. That's how crazy this show has become.

Silly rabbit, Mickey's already been on the show! Heck, he was just in this past episode.

That's exactly where my mind went, too. I was like wait...why is it such big news that we'll see The Apprentice in his mouse form again? We've already seen him like that with Anna in Season 4 and...oh. Right. April 1st.

• Love 1

Some new OUAT articles released today:

Once Upon a Time bosses on the future of the fairy-tale drama

Michael Raymond-James Previews Game of Silence's Looming 'Hurricane,' Weighs In on Once Upon a Time Encore

Some interesting bits where Michael discusses Neal:

TVLINE | What was your read on the conversation Neal and Emma had there in the Bug? Do you feel he was endorsing her new romance and her pursuit of Hook in the Underworld, or not quite?
I think Neal has unconditional love and affection for Emma. She’s the mother of his child and his true love, regardless of whether he was for her or not. I feel it’s a completely unconditional love, and he just wants to be supportive of her. He genuinely wants her to be happy. And if that means being with someone else, then that’s what he wants.

TVLINE | After all, having moved on to a “happy” place and all, it’s not like he himself is an option.
Exactly. He’s not running for that particular office anymore. [Laughs] So yeah, I think he genuinely wants her to be happy. She’s the mother of his child, and a happy, content, fulfilled mother makes for a better childhood.

TVLINE | I said in my column that I was surprised that back in Season 3 they didn’t play that triangle harder — have Emma torn between a storybook character and this “regular Joe” that she’d only known as a mortal. Is that something you would have been interested to explore?
To an extent. But generally speaking, love triangles aren’t necessarily what I get excited about. It can be a revelatory device to tell other stories, to see the way people respond in situations like that, how they deal with rejection or whatever….

TVLINE | For example, if scorned, Neal could be tempted to turn to his dad for an assist. He’s got the Dark One in his corner, so does he go down that route to “get the girl”?
The reality is we will never know. I have my thoughts on it — and I don’t think that that is Neal’s style. Neal devoted his life and his being to turning away from that. He’s somebody who could have lived with the pain of that rejection, if it were to come to that, without having to turn to the dark side. Instead he’d use it as a stepping-stone to grow. That’s my take on Neal.

I feel like what was shown on screen doesn't mesh with the writers' interpretation of Neal's character. If Neal had unconditional love for Emma, would he really have been able to move on with Tamara? Especially if Michael believes Emma was his True Love™? I do like how he points out that Emma might have been Neal's True Love™, but not the other way around. Also, weren't we already on the path of having Neal go dark by resurrecting a Dark One for assistance when trying to get back with Emma? I thought the show was setting up an interesting plot where Neal was going to turn more villainous like his father bit by bit in 3B, and then he just died. Oh, and how nice that Neal could have lived with the pain of Emma's rejection and would have used it as a stepping-stone, but it screwed with Emma's head for over a decade when he rejected her.

• Love 2
(edited)

I had to stop reading after "unconditional" and "true love". That assessment throws everything he's done under the bus. He didn't really do much to prove how much he loved Emma. Instead we got a lot of words like, "I'll never stop fighting for you", which didn't get to come to fruition since he was killed off not long after. He could have gotten to a more altruistic point of loving her as the mother of his child, but he just doesn't get there.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

I had to stop reading after "unconditional" and "true love". That assessment throws everything he's done under the bus. He didn't really much to prove how much he loved Emma.

This!....I threw up in my mouth a little ....

Sounds like he's confused what I saw on the show with a SwanFire fanfic......

• Love 3
(edited)

I think what we got with that interview was a glimpse into the actor's headcanon.  How he envisioned how Neal felt about Emma, when he first started playing Neal, may not have meshed with what subsequently occurred onscreen.  I still think it's interesting to hear how he personally played the character.  It sounds like he did not want to play Neal as a bad guy, even though some actors might jump at that opportunity.

Now, from the A&E interview:

HOROWITZ: But what we are doing is taking the luxury of knowing we have another season to be able to continue our long-term planning.”

Long-term planning?  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Who needs the comics page when you got this!

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3

KITSIS: "Listen, there’s a time and a place where, at a certain point, characters either need to find their happiness or not, and we are aware of that. We’re just not ready to answer that question yet."

I'm kind of against the whole "happy ending" concept. It would be very difficult for me to buy that the characters have all found a satisfactory time in their lives and that no crisis ever happened again. How do you end something that is always ongoing? What else must the characters accomplish in order to obtain "happiness"? Generally speaking, besides maybe Rumple and Zelena, all characters seem content living in Storybrooke. Obviously there are some endgame things that could happen, like killing off Rumple or marrying Captain Swan off. But we've become accustomed to a universe where any threat can be pulled out of anyone's butt, so where does it end?

This is from an old interview with Michael Raymond James. 

Adam and Eddy and I had long discussions about what I would have said to August during that time, things like, “I’ll go to jail—let me go to jail for Emma!” But ultimately that’s a false economy, because although that would separate the two, she still wouldn’t accomplish her destiny because she didn’t know about magic. So they said, “You need to break her heart so she can later come around and realize that magic does exist. She can defeat the curse.” If I’d gone to prison, she probably would have just waited for Neal to get out. So there was a lot of jumping on the grenade there for the greater good.

Taking this to the Neal thread in the Menagerie.

Check out this horseshit of an article about Ruby and Dorothy

I've seen nothing but negative responses all across the board. No wonder A&E don't do diversity - they suck at it. What a jump-the-shark moment.

Edited by KingOfHearts
(edited)

I've seen nothing but negative responses all across the board. No wonder A&E don't do diversity - they suck at it. What a jump-the-shark moment.

I've been unhappy with this show for awhile and this week sealed the deal for me. I'm a lesbian who is deathly afraid of investing any time with shows that have queer women characters because inevitably I will be disappointed. Seriously, I've given up 16 shows since Sept. due to horrible story telling decisions, half of them involving the way queer women are treated on said shows.

The homophobic trolls are all over the comment sections of the various entertainment websites reporting on this story development. I hate this so, so much because they botched it for the queer audience and now the homophobes will think they won since most of us are irritated with what happened tonight for other reasons.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 2

Victoria Smurfitt gave an interview to an Irish newspaper and she confirmed she's just filmed an extra for the S5 DVD. It was written by Jane Espenson and she filmed with another actor - but she didn't say who.

• Love 1

I've been unhappy with this show for awhile and this week sealed the deal for me. I'm a lesbian who is deathly afraid of investing any time with shows that have queer women characters because inevitably I will be disappointed. Seriously, I've given up 16 shows since Sept. due to horrible story telling decisions, half of them involving the way queer women are treated on said shows.

I know that feeling!  I didn't think this show would be fantastic at it, but I hoped they could manage something that wouldn't piss me off.  Put me in the corner with Belle for being stupidly optimistic.

I was reading Wonkette yesterday and they had a post on the kerfuffle over Ruby Slippers (www.wonkette.com/600932). It was kind of cool at first, in a 'when worlds collide' sort of way, but the writer (Wonkette Edetrix herself) said she didn't watch the show. Well, that's fine, but maybe don't talk/write about shit you don't know. She went on to defend Regina as Henry's adopted mom and bag on Emma for being the bio-mom who gave him up! I was pissed, let me tell you. She also went on to say that Regina wasn't abusing Henry. So I guess gaslighting someone is totes ok. I even had to de-lurk to leave a comment.

I don't get how that whole Regina/Emma/Henry issue was at all related to the "Ruby Slippers" news.  Did she watch a promo of the first episode five years ago, and decided she should give her opinion on it?   It looks like almost none of the readers of this blog watches "Once" either, based on the comments.

If I remember rightly, it's why she decided not to keep watching, or some such, evil adoptive parent vs. saintly bio-mom, and how dare Emma try to come between Regina and Henry. Never mind that Henry actually went to find Emma, or that Regina murdered Graham, minor stuff like that. Wonkette is really more about politics, with a smattering of pop culture stuff. A few of the other comments came from viewers or former viewers.

• Love 1

^ that's cool. I feel like I saw news for that one a long time ago, but I haven't heard anything since.

Lol@ "Prince Eric on Three episodes"! Like, they felt the need to specifically mention how many episodes he was in???

Edited by HoodlumSheep

Yea, they announced the Chicago one a while ago. I keep checking to see if they've added someone I want to see, but sadly they haven't. I mean, I wouldn't mind seeing some of those actors, but I don't want to attend just for them.

11 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:
It makes me incredibly sad that a fan event can create a better promotional poster than our own show/studio can. :'(

This poster actually makes me want to watch the show. ABC's posters usually have me asking why I still watch it.