Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

(edited)

Some people are so very talented, more talented that the people who get paid to actually do this.

I know, right? If marketing wants us to picture it as this epic fantasy adventure, then they shouldn't be making stuff like Cruella's Dalmatian-printed portrait with cheesy dog tag graphics. Sometimes I don't know whether they want us to take this show seriously or not. I wonder if there's some sort of creative conflict between the advertisers and the showrunners.

Those are good, but so depressing, I'm so sad that the Man Of Steel "everything must be muted colors" aesthetic has been all over entertainment lately.

It really works well for Zelena because of the Kansas sepia tone look. Her green skin helps it stand out a bit. It works for Emma too because of the darker approach they're going for her, but not so much for the unmentioned characters.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
I know, right? If marketing wants us to picture it as this epic fantasy adventure, then they shouldn't be making stuff like Cruella's Dalmatian-printed portrait with cheesy dog tag graphics. Sometimes I don't know whether they want us to take this show seriously or not. I wonder if there's some sort of creative conflict between the advertisers and the showrunners.

I saw this amazing fan made video (it was for Captain Swan) that made the whole thing look all kinds of epic, tons of drama built in with the music and it was just crazy well done.  ABC people can take a few lessons.

Those posters are hideous. Most fan "art" is pretty bad. Even the stuff that is technically ok is problematic because, like the rest of the crap, it is all based on stealing someone's intellectual property.

I saw this amazing fan made video (it was for Captain Swan) that made the whole thing look all kinds of epic, tons of drama built in with the music and it was just crazy well done.  ABC people can take a few lessons.

is it this one?  By the end of watching it, I wanted to jump out of my seat and drop $12 at my local theater to see that movie.  I agree.  There's some seriously talented editing and scoring/sound mixing going on in that thing.  

• Love 3

is it this one?  By the end of watching it, I wanted to jump out of my seat and drop $12 at my local theater to see that movie.  I agree.  There's some seriously talented editing and scoring/sound mixing going on in that thing.  

Yup, that's the one.  I thought I had seen some good stuff, but this one is pretty special.  Talk about heightened expectations and building anticipation for next season.

• Love 1

Oh, so are you guys saying you weren't super pumped up for 4B by watching a promo of Emma wearing red eyeliner as she awkwardly smirked into the camera while Ursula waved her creepy CGI tentacles behind her? That wasn't epic enough for you?

• Love 5

I'm really hoping they include that in the DVD bonus features.  They really should have made one for 4A with the Snow Queen smirking at Emma while she desperately tries to tear away at the yellow ribbons binding her wrists.  Since those ended up being soooooo important.

• Love 1

I guess I'm the only one who absolutely can't stand when fanvids include bits of dialogue, trailer-style. I find it really annoying and distracting. I prefer just video bits synched to music.

• Love 2
(edited)

is it this one? By the end of watching it, I wanted to jump out of my seat and drop $12 at my local theater to see that movie. I agree. There's some seriously talented editing and scoring/sound mixing going on in that thing.

Wonderful job! What movie is THAT? :) I love the timeless epic-ness of it. That sort of thing will always get my attention.

Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 1

EW released the results of their season finale awards. Once came in second for twist you saw coming a mile away [Emma goes dark], Lily was third for breakout character, and Once was fourth as the biggest regret I didn't watch live [although I did!]. Anyway, full list is here. Warning that there are spoilers so make sure you're caught up. I was surprised Once didn't get a few more nominations like best shipper moment for Emma's I love you, but the poll seems to have been dominated by other shows so it kind of makes sense when you read the list why things landed the way they did.

• Love 1

Lily as breakout character? Really? I would have gone for Cruella if anything.

Yeah, Cruella was by far the best new thing about 4B. (Pretty much the only good thing about 4B.) At most, I've seen some people a bit intrigued by who Lily's dad is, but I haven't seen a whole lot of fans clamoring for her to be a new regular or anything.

• Love 4
(edited)

The awards were only based on what happened in season finales so Cruella was never in the running. Not really sure who would be considered a breakout character then since Lily was introduced a few episodes before. I guess maybe the "Who is my dragon father?" was a good hook for her as a new character.

Edited by sharky

Finally loaded it on my tablet. Well, Lily coming third (losing only by 2% or so) is really unsurprising because #2 was The Riddler from Gotham, i mean seriously? Not even the Penguin? I mean that show sucks ass but at least that guy's somewhat memorable... Jeez.

Also, any poll about season finales that somehow doesn't feature Welcome To The Machine on Person of Interest instantly loses all credibility (and I'm saying it as a huge fan of The 100 which won in that category - in fact, The 100 is my favorite show on air - but Pink Floyd is Pink Floyd and that song was just 100% on point).

I understand the whole time constraints thing, but budget?  Really?  How badly planned is their budget that they run out before the season is over?  No one needs to answer that, I think we all know why they run out or make it by the skin of their asses.

• Love 3

I'm assuming the budget is per episode. And when you consider what they did in the finale, it makes sense. There were quite a few new sets that they had to create for the alternate world -- both new CGI sets and actual built sets. I'm sure that wasn't cheap.

What I meant was that they must've had an idea what the finale would be like since A&E are the ones who wrote it.  They added 6 actors to their roster in 4B, the 3 QoD, Patrick Fischler (who cannot be cheap), the actress who plays Lily and they brought back Rebecca Mader.  Not to mention people who are on contract but that we never see (Will Scarlet who probably had a whole 5 minute of screentime this season).  I don't know who plans budget, but they're doing a piss poor job on it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Someone calculated Socha's screentime in Season 4, and it was 20 minutes. Great value for money, don't you think? lol

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 3

The writing for Robin Hood blows, but Sean Maguire is utterly delightful. Here he is dancing with a little girl at a convention: 

C'mon, writers. Sean is awesome! Make his character awesome, too!

• Love 4

The writing for Robin Hood blows, but Sean Maguire is utterly delightful. 

Aww, that was sweet. I think there were a few women, and men, there who wished they could have been dancing with him instead of the little girl. :) Now if only someone could get a video of Colin dancing. The funky worm does not count!

Someone calculated Socha's screentime in Season 4, and it was 20 minutes. Great value for money, don't you think? lol

I wonder if there was a change in direction/plans because it makes no sense otherwise unless this character was going to play a more important part besides being Robin's sidekick and/or Belle's rebound LI for about 4-5 short scenes.

Oh boy. Another poll I have to vote in. Also, E! is at it again. Nominations for the 2015 Best TV stuff awards are open. I have no idea what best fandom is exactly -- do you nominate the Once fans or the Captain Swan fans? Either way, I'm NOT touching that one.

(edited)

I am not giving E! my clicks again. However, if I remember correctly, the "Best Fandom" doesn't have ship fandoms nominated, but show fandoms. 

Edited by Serena
  • Love 1

Yea, I don't think the Once fandom has a good track record. Sure, it's a great fandom if you're talking about fan support, but don't look under the hood because there's a whole lotta mess there.

• Love 3

I read that and thought goodness, will there be any point in me watching next season. Can't stand either character. Please let them only get as much screentime as Michael Socha got this year...combined.

• Love 2

So, this means more Zelena, Robin, and the love triangle/rape baby story from hell. With Miss Scenery Chewer, and Mr. "My honor is so important except all those times its really not". Excuse me while I collect my eyes. They came out of my head, I was rolling them so hard. 

• Love 5

The only saving grace is as Aliasscape said, being promoted to series regular is definitely not a guarantee of a story, or even screentime on this show.  I can think of nowhere else Zelena can go as a character.  Robin Hood, though, was inevitable.  I was surprised they didn't make him a series regular last season.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wonder if they'll drop a current regular to recurring. Michael Socha, for example. Or Emilie de Ravin if Rumple is in an extended coma.

I also wonder if Sean Maguire will be able to make the con in Brazil at the end of this month. A burst appendix isn't a picnic to recover from. 

Edited by Souris

I think this is where "Casts In Other Lands" ended up....I just noticed that Robbie Kay has been cast in the Heroes reboot.  I wonder if he will get a chance at being a Hero. I just recently started watching Heroes Season 1 and it's a lot of fun. I hear it went deeply off the rails in Season 2.

(edited)

Oh fuck you, E! Ugh. Well, both are already losing to the actors from Outlander -- that fandom is crazy organized -- so I guess our only hope is seeing Colin in two different kilts and maybe making Jen wear some kind of tartan and chunkly handknit cowl.

ETA: Casts in Other Lands is in the Menagerie. I never watched the first Heroes but I'm a Zachary Levi fan and want to see how his post-Chuck life works out so it'll be nice to see Robbie in that too.

Edited by sharky

Socha not a regular anymore. 

Honestly, I would be VERY pissed at A&E if I were him. They made him waste a year of his life that could have been spent getting actual roles. And I have to think the people at ABC aren't too happy they had to pay him a regular salary for 22 episodes for a total 22 minutes of screentime.

• Love 7