Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E10: Hollywood Round #4

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

You could have picked the top 24 easily just based on looks -- there are a few exceptions, but for the most part they are the more attractive people.

The producers are pushing Tristan hard. I think they want her to win.

It's the patriotic slant. Her mom is military. That's why. What's more American than a kid of a military parent winning? *Rolls eyes* It'll work to get the southern votes who are big into the gung ho Support Your Troops type of people. What they don't understand is actual military brats won't vote for her because of this. 

• Love 2

It's the patriotic slant. Her mom is military. That's why. What's more American than a kid of a military parent winning? *Rolls eyes* It'll work to get the southern votes who are big into the gung ho Support Your Troops type of people. What they don't understand is actual military brats won't vote for her because of this. 

I agree. I already feel like Tristan is being crammed down my throat. I don't see how that translates into votes for her. But what do I know.

If we MUST endure sway-bots, at least Harry or someone could help them sway on the beat. sheesh.

• Love 4

I liked that kid Lee Jean, but I'm so glad J-Lo put the smackdown on him putting his fingers to his lips to quiet the crowd.  How arrogant.  I don't know why, but I have a feeling his dad taught him that.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

I don't get Tristan.  For the first several episodes she was lost, weepy and sad like a little doe that they set in front of the camera and she sang in a lovely manner.  Then all of a sudden she is like Sascha Fierce with the do and the Fierce and the whatever and she is all "I got this".  Either the edit has been drastically swayed to make her look one way or her mom is a real force to be reckoned with in getting her together.

On the other hand Brenda K Starr is turning her daughter into a meltdown I fear.  I could see it on the daughters face when she thought she had done something her mother didn't want.  I think JLo et al figure let America sort it out that way it doesn't make JLo look like she cut Brenda's daughter.

What if Military Mom and Brenda K Starr have a run in?  Yikes.  I hope the Momagers don't add Stage mom drama to the mix.

Man Bun guy made me think of this episode of Will and Grace where Grace had a boyfriend that was into herbal teas and yoga and she could not stress him out until one day he lost it.

• Love 4

The one billion people who tried out could've been whittled  instantly by just using these guidelines:

1) No headwear of any type.

2) No scarves, either around neck, hanging from pocket, or attached to microphone.

3) No D-List celebrities or former Idols hovering around.

4) No babies/ children in performance areas.

5) No instruments other than guitars or pianos.

6) No squatting.

7) No contagious diseases.

8) No J Lo flattery.

9) No military or worship leader references.

10) No runs.

11) Contestant must have a last name.

12) No sobbing/crying/wailing/sniffling/whining.

13) Minimum of 4 fingers on the microphone at any given time.

13) No saying this is for the betterment of your kid/ parent/ entire extended family.

That shouldn't be too hard. That probably leaves about 10 contestants total. Let the voting begin!!!!

• Love 14

The one billion people who tried out could've been whittled instantly by just using these guidelines:

1) No headwear of any type.

2) No scarves, either around neck, hanging from pocket, or attached to microphone.

3) No D-List celebrities or former Idols hovering around.

4) No babies/ children in performance areas.

5) No instruments other than guitars or pianos.

6) No squatting.

7) No contagious diseases.

8) No J Lo flattery.

9) No military or worship leader references.

10) No runs.

11) Contestant must have a last name.

12) No sobbing/crying/wailing/sniffling/whining.

13) Minimum of 4 fingers on the microphone at any given time.

13) No saying this is for the betterment of your kid/ parent/ entire extended family.

That shouldn't be too hard. That probably leaves about 10 contestants total. Let the voting begin!!!!

10? How about ZERO? LOL.

Drafan ! Yes. And get outta my head. ;-)

And may I add, no "yips" and "heh" and "hey now" and "uh"  at the end of a phrase ?

And no tapping the mic with your finger (a la Carrie Underwood and Marie Osmond) on the two and the four.

Anyone else see the irony in Lindita losing to La'Porsha? She lost a ton of weight because she thought it would help her but still lost to a large sized woman anyway.

Has Idol ever sent a very over-weight (Lindita lost 150 pounds) white woman to the voting rounds? We've had successful fat guys (Ruben and Caleb won) and seen a lot of larger African-American women, but they seem to have a strange bias against fat fair females. There have been a few plump ones, but 150 pounds overweight white females? No.

Although, I'm sure Idol meant to imply the irony since they brought it up during the intro for that cut.

Totally agree about that "You haven't seen the last of me, America!" stuff.  Exactly one person has been cut from this show and gone on to have a hit song. One.

I can name a few:

Tori Kelly (a couple of recent pop success, BNA Grammy nomination, appearing on every award show)

Lauren Daigle (number one albums and songs on Christian)

Colbie Caillat ("Bubbly")

Amber Riley (Glee)

Hillary Scott (Lady Antebellum)

Great. I just decided that I kind of want to make out with Dalton and then discovered that he's only 20. Gross, me. Gross.

It kind of depends on your age. ;-) If you're 50, then ok ... that's a little much. If you're 40, then rock it. Men do it all the time and no one says beans about it.  

I like JLo and I'm a fan , but those dresses were way too short for that deep-couch-sitting chair. Yikes.

I don't think these kids need all the schtick. I wonder if it's producer driven.. all the hats and off the grid stories.

I enjoyed Dalton and some others whose names I cannot recall now.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

The stories do annoy but on the other hand, it sure helps me remember who is who.  Jessica Cabral was a fantastic singer but I wouldn't be able to conjure up a mental picture of her on a bet.

I like JLo and I'm a fan , but those dresses were way too short for that deep-couch-sitting chair. Yikes.

I like that her makeup was toned down compared to the industrial strength spray gun approach they use when they're judging live performances. It wouldn't have hurt them to similarly tone down the shellac on her legs.

• Love 3

I like that her makeup was toned down compared to the industrial strength spray gun approach they use when they're judging live performances. It wouldn't have hurt them to similarly tone down the shellac on her legs.

Im so outta the loop. Do chicks not wear pantyhose? Serious question. Yeah she had some heavy shellac going on there or baby oil or something shiny.

I was afraid that we were going to get a shot of JLO lady bits with that short skirt/dress in that chair. Wow.

The Michelle girl with the bangs and braces and being aggressively nice? With the wrong amount of make up she didn't not look good. During the whole final judgement think, whoever did her make up needs to continue doing it, because that looked good and not as harsh as her makeup during her performance. The way her features are and her hair was... the bangs were not flattering at all, and the harsh make up did no favors. So during the chair bit, she looked completely different. Hopefully as she gets older she'll be able to work with that. It's unfortunate, but appearances do matter with this not just singing ability. 

J LO hereself does need to tone down the make up herself. 

Dalton's only twenty? Damn. His speaking bits made me think he was a little bit older. 

• Love 1

The Michelle girl with the bangs and braces and being aggressively nice? With the wrong amount of make up she didn't not look good. During the whole final judgement think, whoever did her make up needs to continue doing it, because that looked good and not as harsh as her makeup during her performance. The way her features are and her hair was... the bangs were not flattering at all, and the harsh make up did no favors. So during the chair bit, she looked completely different. Hopefully as she gets older she'll be able to work with that. It's unfortunate, but appearances do matter with this not just singing ability.

Was Michelle the one who lived in a trailer? If so, I knew they would never advance her no matter how she sounded. For some reason, I actually thought she looked a tad down syndrome-y.

Was Michelle the one who lived in a trailer? If so, I knew they would never advance her no matter how she sounded. For some reason, I actually thought she looked a tad down syndrome-y.

I don't remember if she was the one who lived in the trailer but I thought the same thing--that she looked and acted kind of down syndrome-y.

Yeah. It was her. The package that they used while she was going to chair with her stating she needed this to help her family because 10 people living in a trailer. I knew they were going to say no to her even with that package. 

I know some people with Down Syndrome, she doesn't have it. It was just the unfortunate shape of her face and her bangs really. 

I had been spoiled that Jessica was not in the Top 24 and I was waiting to see her really screw up her performance.  I figured she must have really messed up because I thought she had the best voice of all the women.  I guess now we'll never know.

Not that the 12 women who did make it through didn't have a fairly good week.  I didn't watch the episode, but based on the full performances on Vevo, the only one who was subpar was perhaps Jeneve Rose.  I particularly liked the performances we got from Sonika, Tirstan, Jenna Renae, Jenn and Avalon (in roughly that order).  For the first time I was not particularly impressed by La'Porsha.  She wasn't bad, but just not up to her usual standard.

Though the men were much more uneven, I have trouble seeing any of the women beating out Dalton, Trent or Mackenzie for the title.  It's not that some of them don't have at least as much natural talent as the best of the guys.  But young women start out at a disadvantage with the voters and inexperience is bound to let a few down at some point. Though I don't watch any of the behind the scenes stuff, it also sounds like the editors (and a few Mom's) are doing those girls any favors either.

In any case, I don't see anybody in this Top 24 that makes me think they are going to come up with a new Kelly Clarkson.

• Love 1
Im so outta the loop. Do chicks not wear pantyhose? Serious question.

No. Unless you live in a nursing home, are the Queen of England or are in the military (which still has pantyhose written into he dress code), it's considered old fashioned to wear pantyhose. Although, some young women wear it ironically. Some politicians still wear them, but it really isn't hip these days. JLo certainly would not.

• Love 4

So, I'm totally over anyone who was on The Voice.  Sorry, Shelbie and Mackenzie, you had your shot...move aside.

I'm over anyone constantly wearing a hat.  That includes oversized, silly looking cowboy hats, knitted beanies, knitted droopy beanies, porkpies and fedoras.  Period.

I'm over singers that pronounce words funny and either crouch, squat or both.  

It's a girls season to lose but America could change all that.  Love Lee Jean and glad Lopez called him out on the shushing. I like Tristan a lot but Sonika has the better voice.  Not the best vocally but totally awesome is Amelia with her fiddle and fabulous red hair.  LaPorsha has a stellar voice but the hair has to go.  Hopefully styling will step in.

Jordan, between then and now, please lose the manbun.

I really tried to like Jenn Blosil (or however it's spelled), but she has a "puker" voice, which I hate.

Pretty good top 24 but it's a shame a good voice was sacrificed in order to put Brenda K's daughter in their place.  

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 3

It amuses me more when they say "Something is missing, there's things you need to work on, you're so young," BUT YOURE IN THE TOP 24!

You just nailed what this show has morphed into over the past few seasons, and why, as a professional musician, I have such a love-hate affair with it. I see some 15-16 year olds who have raw talent, but at that age they are just aping their favorites, and are probably years away from being able to offer up anything original or creative. And I see some "older" (in Idol terms) singers who are really good, but get eliminated early because they don't have the look or image the producers want.

Last season was a good one for me, with a final two of experienced, mature musicians. But this year, the producers seem determined to give us "Glee." The only hope I have is Dalton, who although 19, seems a lot more mature. Also, maybe Trent. Stephany Negrete is an experienced performer, but she's too polished, and not the "girl next door" type that the producers are pushing.

I'm admittedly not a contemporary country fan, but Shelbie Z seems like someone on SNL playing a country singer. Everything about her feels contrived. If they wanted a country singer, is that really the best they could do?

Hearing about Michelle and her 10 family members living in a trailer, and how she was deluded enough to think that being on Idol was going to change that, made me sad. Wow, what a contrast to Olivia Rox (hate that stage name) and her privileged Southern California life as the daughter of successful musicians.

Lindita was way too overtly sexual for them to put her in the Top 24. This is a family show.

I'm being struck by how some of these young kids are so savvy they've already figured out that the way to succeed is to create an image, whether it's artsy, free spirit (about half a dozen of the top 24) or "gal who lives on a mountain." (Jeneve Rose may not have electricity, but she sure has a video camera, if you've looked on You Tube).

I don't blame Chynna for "throwing shade," because she knows she's a way better singer than a number that made it, but she does not have "the look."  Apparently the quota was one African-American male and one female. The other two women in the group round with LaPorsha could sing most of the top 24 girls under the table.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4

As ex "Voice" competitors go, I enjoyed Mackenzie and am looking forward to seeing what he does going forward, especially since he likes "older" and also original songs that are actually not bad. But wish they had booted the other alum, Shelbie Z. I didn't mind her so much on Team Blake, esp. since she didn't get very far with her "sassy former country pageant girl" act.  But having seen her schtick there--and now her different effort at "branding" here--I really can't stand her persona OR her mediocre singing. So unfortunate that she took a space from someone so much better. (I thought that was what Dalton meant--that he saw some he felt were better than he was eliminated and others that hadn't impressed him so much were put through.  Seemed true, so I didn't see it as arrogance). Also, Shelbie, "looking good" is not the same as "looking trashy". And squatting on stage is never attractive. I don't enjoy listening to you--don't make it hard to watch you, too.

I also wish they hadn't put through Thomas Stringfellow with that annoying vocal tick at the end of Every. Single. Line. It was so distracting.  And then there was Jeneve.  The first season I watched Harry I remember him asking a couple of times, "What does that song mean?" because he could see they were doing vocal gymnastics with it with no thought about how they contributed to the meaning of the lyric.  I wish he'd do more of that. I really wanted to hear what Jeneve thought "Ring of Fire" was about. It wouldn't surprise me, the way she sang it, if she thought someone was being burned up by fire--if she thought anything at all.  I thought Olivia was off key most of the time. She presented herself as multi-talented at the audition--multiple instruments, etc.--but she just seemed mediocre to me in every way. Not seeing her deserving of a top 24 space at all.

From his audition, I wasn't sure how Dalton would be, but he's become one of my favorites.  The camera loves him, he has talent and keeps taking chances even though he's worried that it will backfire.  He gives the producers the interesting commentary they need, has a sense of humor and seems like a nice guy. I hope he goes far (but doesn't win so doesn't have to suffer through the awful handling of the AI contract and Borchetta's ruthless management team.) I think he's one who could build a good career from a T2 or T3 finish. He's not like Adam in his singing, but in his charisma, good looks, risk-taking and audience appeal, he reminds me of him (always a good thing to resemble Adam Lambert!).

I seem to remember more guys than the women at this point, despite what the judges keep saying. Maybe it's the style of music or maybe it's the age (though I like Lee Jean and he's only15)  I'm interested in how Sonika will do going forward. She's got looks and a pretty voice, but hearing them say she needs to project more charisma on stage--then seeing her perform again--I think that's all she has. Whatever they feel is "missing", I doubt she's going to find it, but it might be interesting to see, if she can manage it. And Brenda K. Starr's (who?) daughter is another one who took a space from someone better.  I was glad Ricky put the mom in her place--she's supposed to be a professional--she knows better. I found Gianna flat and screechy so I'm predicting a Mom Meltdown soon.  Maybe that "drama potential" is why they advanced her.

Going from 51 to 24 to 12 in such a short time?--I always forget what a grueling process this is.. Looking forward to the lives, though. Could be some very good singers in this bunch--once we get to see the full performances (and with adequate rehearsal time).                                              

Edited by Padma
  • Love 4

I expect Gianna to go far. And I don't think it's because of her Mom, it's because of her connection with former judge Mariah Carey. I think she is young but she wil be ok on the show. No way the judges are going to cut her before top 12 or whatever number they are picking this season.

I think most of the top 24 are decent enough singers, but I can't see a 15 or 16 year old winning.

I still can't believe that they put Jeneve through.  Also, how does someone that is so "off the grid" hear recent music like The Band Perry and maintain a website?  I know it's their show and they can do what they want, but it still makes me angry that they gave her a spot while letting other talented people go.

Jenn is like what Joey was pretending to be last year, but can sing.

Oh well, I guess it's not like we'll ever hear from any of these people once they're voted off anyway.  You barely even hear from most of the winners.  One of the most shocking things for me during auditions was people actually recognizing Kris Allen, because he could walk up to me and tell me his name, and if I wasn't at an American Idol event, I probably still wouldn't recognize him as a former winner. 

I haven't actually watched a season in its entirety since the Kris Allen season because Adam Lambert ruined the show for me. Every other contestant just seemed so ... uncompelling (can't think of a better word right now) in comparison. I watched a little bit of the Scotty McCreery season and a few clips of some of the performers from last season, but that was it. I'm watching this season because it's the last one. I don't see any breakout stars in the making, but I do think it'll be an entertaining season. Can't believe Jessica Cabral got kicked off but Gianna is still in the mix. Have no idea who Jenna Renae is. I liked Avalon a lot and hope they don't do a whole "look at what happens when we put lipstick and a skirt on her!!!" makeover garbage. Looking forward to shooting eye-daggers at Shelbie and Jordan until they get the boot. 

• Love 3

I am dying to see if the AI stylists succeed in getting Jeneve out of those oversized puffy cowboy shirts. Where does she get those, and why does she have so many?

There were many left over after the Warren Jeffs  FLDS cult got busted.

Jenn (J Blo)....Gotta give the girl props for losing the weird for a few minutes while she's singing. And her clothes truly are vintage finds, so I do kinda love her.

Thomas Stringfellow...You cannot convince me that Nate Ruess' (from the group f.u.n.) mom didn't sneak off and get knocked up by the Walton (Jason?)  who was musical on the show and in real life, and then placed Thomas in that foster home.

Avalon....love her, but she should lose the Bill Cosby sweaters, for obvious reasons.

Mono Boy (don't know his name)...thought it was Colton Dixon from a few years ago, back for another try.

Baby Green Day....my friend just told me her tweenie daughter and her friends have their glitter guns locked and loaded. He's charismatic and adorable. He's gonna win.

ETA:: Did I spy Constantine smarming around in the preview for next week, with every greasy strand in the exact same place as when he left the show??? Can. Not. Wait.  Also DAVID COOK!!!!!!!

Edited by drafan
  • Love 1

The first season I watched Harry I remember him asking a couple of times, "What does that song mean?" because he could see they were doing vocal gymnastics with it with no thought about how they contributed to the meaning of the lyric.  I wish he'd do more of that. I really wanted to hear what Jeneve thought "Ring of Fire" was about. It wouldn't surprise me, the way she sang it, if she thought someone was being burned up by fire--if she thought anything at all.  I thought Olivia was off key most of the time. She presented herself as multi-talented at the audition--multiple instruments, etc.--but she just seemed mediocre to me in every way. Not seeing her deserving of a top 24 space at all.                                        

My theory is that she thinks it's a song about Damnation and burning for all eternity in the fires of Hell. That would explain all the suffering and agony she seemed to  be experiencing. But in all likelihood, as you said, she probably didn't think at all about its meaning. Her performance was just a grab for attention.

People actually thinking about the meaning of the song seems to happen rarely on these singing contest shows.

I would say that "mediocre" is a fair assessment of Olivia, but youth and having the right look is what counts. As someone earlier posted, you could pretty much have picked the Top 24 based on looks or image alone. Would Sonika be in the Top 24 on her voice alone? Or Tristan? (add in the patriotic angle).

Kudos to Lindita for losing 150 pounds, but maybe on her way to AI she needed to pick up a baby. It bugs slightly to hear LaPorsha constantly referred to as "single Mom La Porsha." I don't condemn people for being single moms, but on reality shows it always presented as being an identity, or something that makes the person automatically deserving of our support in and of itself.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1
I really wanted to hear what Jeneve thought "Ring of Fire" was about. It wouldn't surprise me, the way she sang it, if she thought someone was being burned up by fire--if she thought anything at all.

I think she was singing the hemorrhoid version of Ring of Fire because it looked like she was in considerable pain.

• Love 2

So, I'm totally over anyone who was on The Voice.  Sorry, Shelbie and Mackenzie, you had your shot...move aside.

I'm over anyone constantly wearing a hat.  That includes oversized, silly looking cowboy hats, knitted beanies, knitted droopy beanies, porkpies and fedoras.  Period.

I'm over singers that pronounce words funny and either crouch, squat or both.  

Jordan, between then and now, please lose the manbun.

I really tried to like Jenn Blosil (or however it's spelled), but she has a "puker" voice, which I hate.

HA!  Thank you, for all of the above!  I totally agree, and couldn't have said it better :)  

As ex "Voice" competitors go, I enjoyed Mackenzie and am looking forward to seeing what he does going forward, 

I also wish they hadn't put through Thomas Stringfellow with that annoying vocal tick at the end of Every. Single. Line. It was so distracting.  

And then there was Jeneve.  I really wanted to hear what Jeneve thought "Ring of Fire" was about. It wouldn't surprise me, the way she sang it, if she thought someone was being burned up by fire--if she thought anything at all.                                 

I don't know why it disappoints me so much when I find out contestants have already been on other shows.  I didn't know about Mackenzie.  (I don't watch the Voice so it's whatever I read on here!).  Somehow the thought of them making the rounds to different shows makes me feel like this one isn't so unique or special- just another go-round, and it kind of lessens my excitement (over Mackenzie, that is- I have never been excited over Shelbie!).

Ironically, kind of like Top Chef's annoying Manbun contestant who's been on all different Food Network shows and this is yet another fame grab. 

Oh, and I rewatched, and Jeneve really does look like she's in agony singing that song, as if someone really is being burned by fire.  

Thomas's Tic.  It's taken on a life of it's own.  

Edited by awaken

I can sort of deal with Shelby Z being in the 24, but really glad that Troll Face Doll Cowgirl and her Over The Topness didn't follow.  Then again, Off The Grid Girl and her duds and mannerisms right out of the 90s... and I mean the 1890's... DID make it, and that was kind of annoying.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

Generate789, could not agree with you more! And didn't even realize it until you said that, just kind of faded away. There is only one Adam. Now, if Aaron Tveit had done the show (he auditioned, then decided to stay in school), that would have been something.

It's been bugging me so much since McKenzie did his "original song" and got all the praise. DD straightened me out, she choreographed for her school recital to Damien Rice "Delicate" back in 2008. Go give it a listen.

Edited by DancingD
  • Love 1

Jeneve and Gianna make top 24 but not Jessica Cabral…seriously?  LMFAO, AI producers insist on sucking the big fat one in this final season.

Whichever night Thomas Stringfellow sings, I’ll have to make sure my arms are strapped down securely otherwise, I’ll get very shabby due to his incessant squeaking at the end of EVERY FUCKING PHRASE.  That utterly bugs the fuck out of me. (strangely, however, Jen Blossil doing essentially the same thing doesn’t bother me nearly as much.)

Man bun Jordan Sasser got in…LOL.

There is no one I am pulling for.  I used to be on the Tristan bandwagon, but I’m getting an entitled vibe from her, and that really turns me off.

I am typically violently against WGWG, but I have to admit, Dalton is the only person in the top 24 who I think could bring interesting performances on a weekly basis.  I hate that I feel this way.  I hope Avalon can withstand the pressure because I think she’s at least interesting as well.  I’m just doubting her staying power.

I don’t get Mackenzie Bourg.  At all.  Voice is not strong, nor interesting to me, but he does seem like someone who could re-arrange songs in an interesting way I suppose.

• Love 1

When he talked about being on the show makes the difference between smoky bars and larger venues as well as something else I don't remember, I knew he was in the game. 

And between touring on a bus vs. a van, I think?  It was nice to see someone address the perks of being top 24 but not the winner, for once.  They usually make them talk like it's win it all or die.  I like Dalton a lot, especially when he sings.  Sometimes when he talks he comes off a little douchey, or trying a little too hard.

I see Odo in Jordan with his bun in, but I saw a little Caitlyn Jenner in his loose hair performance.  He should stick to Odo.

I kinda love Mackenzie Bourg.  I liked him on the Voice, too.  I also really like Avalon and Lee Jean, though the double-shush was a little weird.  

I wish Malie, Colette, Michelle and one other girl had gone through... Jessica, maybe.

When Keith remarked on that time Shelbie sang Heart, I wanted to say her last two performances were Heart songs.  Didn't she sing Barracuda and then Alone? 

Besides some Idol contestants having been on The Voice, Stephany Negrete was a finalist on a major Mexican singing competion show, and Lindita was on similar shows in Eastern Europe. I learned from reading the PTV forums on America's Got Talent that multiple contestants, including the British ventriloquist who won this past year, had made the circuit of other country's versions of the franchise. The cooking competitions shows regularly recycle contestants.

I was actually surprised that MacKenzie was on The Voice, because I get that he has the look and vibe or a young pop star, but I think his voice is pretty weak. Of course, singing "Can't Help Falling in Love with You," an iconic Elvis song didn't help. I think his tone would be much more suited to Buddy Holly. (But what do I know. The teenaged girls in the audience seemed to love his version).

Edited by bluepiano

My whole thing...Until she is gone, will be to root against Shelbie Z.

Not at all happy about Manny and Gianna getting through, either.  

Very pleased that Mountain Girl made it.  Doubly pleased since JLo has it in for her and obviously lost a battle royal with the producers and Harry and Keith.

They are ridiculously young this year.  Ludicrously.

Not happy, in the least, with Sprinkles dressing way down with the jeans and such.  It's a significant piece of costuming for this season, though.  Professionalism is not the currency of the realm this season.  Not with all the youngins, it isn't.

Ugh.   Sad.  No more Hollyweird Week.  No mo auditions of any kind.  Turn the page.  Ugh.

• Love 1

I am dying to see if the AI stylists succeed in getting Jeneve out of those oversized puffy cowboy shirts. Where does she get those, and why does she have so many?

Ditto the self proclaimed tomboy (Avalon?) with her bag-and-sag outfits.  I can get not wanting to wear skin-tight clothing, but can't we at least have straight up-and-down clothing?  Get a tailor up in here?  Reminds me of the oversized sweaters of the 80's, in all the worst ways.

I seem to remember more guys than the women at this point, despite what the judges keep saying. Maybe it's the style of music or maybe it's the age (though I like Lee Jean and he's only15)  I'm interested in how Sonika will do going forward. She's got looks and a pretty voice, but hearing them say she needs to project more charisma on stage--then seeing her perform again--I think that's all she has. Whatever they feel is "missing", I doubt she's going to find it, but it might be interesting to see, if she can manage it. And Brenda K. Starr's (who?) daughter is another one who took a space from someone better.  I was glad Ricky put the mom in her place--she's supposed to be a professional--she knows better. I found Gianna flat and screechy so I'm predicting a Mom Meltdown soon.  Maybe that "drama potential" is why they advanced her.

Likewise, I feel that ("drama potential") is why the judges said that seemingly odd thing about Sonika.  They are setting up "an arc" for her to "overcome her stage awkwardness", or whatever, which to me means they would like her to go far.  (Or they saw flashes in the bits and pieces we didn't see, which will become more apparent to the audience's eyes as we go on.)  Applauded Ricky treating Brenda K. like his peer (which, I suppose, she is, if she still performs), heh.

I like that Dalton kid.  He seems like his styling is completely his own, even though it's recognizably "the style" for young men, it doesn't look like a costume on him.  Not sure I have a favorite yet amongst the women, but I liked how Stephany thought she could overcome the awkwardness of wanting to shed clearly painful shoes ASAP by cloaking it in the "I'm just dying to bust a celebratory move!!" excuse, lol.  As one who could (and possibly has!) actually salsa in 4-inch platforms, JLo clearly wasn't having any of that, and she was right IMO - jeez, people, let's have some standards.

ETA to say, speaking of standards: who was the insulting person who thought a rearrangement of "Wicked Game" should resolve on a major chord??  My ears nearly bled in protest.  The culminating point of Wicked Game, is the mournful resolution.  People wait through the entire song for it even if they don't consciously know it.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 1

Has Idol ever sent a very over-weight (Lindita lost 150 pounds) white woman to the voting rounds? We've had successful fat guys (Ruben and Caleb won) and seen a lot of larger African-American women, but they seem to have a strange bias against fat fair females. There have been a few plump ones, but 150 pounds overweight white females? No.

I can name a few:

Tori Kelly (a couple of recent pop success, BNA Grammy nomination, appearing on every award show)

Lauren Daigle (number one albums and songs on Christian)

Colbie Caillat ("Bubbly")

Amber Riley (Glee)

Hillary Scott (Lady Antebellum)

Does Shelbie Z count? 

I don't think majority of those people you listed count as "cut from Idol" successes, considering that Colbie, Amber, and Hillary all never even made it past the first round. 

As for "overweight" females, it both amuses and frightens me that Carrie Underwood was considered chubby when she auditioned.

Seriously?

Great. I just decided that I kind of want to make out with Dalton and then discovered that he's only 20. Gross, me. Gross.

This made me laugh out loud! I would make out with Dalton too but I'm only 22 so I don't feel ashamed about it lol. He does seem a bit mature for his age.

Im so outta the loop. Do chicks not wear pantyhose? Serious question.

I only wear pantyhose if I'm wearing a skirt and it's cold. 

The only hope I have is Dalton, who although 19, seems a lot more mature. 

From his audition, I wasn't sure how Dalton would be, but he's become one of my favorites.  The camera loves him, he has talent and keeps taking chances even though he's worried that it will backfire.  He gives the producers the interesting commentary they need, has a sense of humor and seems like a nice guy. I hope he goes far (but doesn't win so doesn't have to suffer through the awful handling of the AI contract and Borchetta's ruthless management team.) I think he's one who could build a good career from a T2 or T3 finish. He's not like Adam in his singing, but in his charisma, good looks, risk-taking and audience appeal, he reminds me of him (always a good thing to resemble Adam Lambert!).

If you guys are interested in Dalton, I highly recommend checking out some of his pre-Idol work. IMO he's barely scratched the surface on Idol of what he can truly do. He's a fabulous songwriter. I can PM you both some direct video links if you'd like. He has an EP on iTunes as well from his band Fly Away Hero that's a really good alternative pop rock album.

Ditto the self proclaimed tomboy (Avalon?) with her bag-and-sag outfits.  I can get not wanting to wear skin-tight clothing, but can't we at least have straight up-and-down clothing?  Get a tailor up in here?  Reminds me of the oversized sweaters of the 80's, in all the worst ways.

I like that Dalton kid.  He seems like his styling is completely his own, even though it's recognizably "the style" for young men, it doesn't look like a costume on him.  

Yes I hate Avalon's ugly ill-fitting sweaters. Being a tomboy is fine, she doesn't have to wear dresses or heels if she doesn't want to, but there's a way to dress tomboy and still be stylish. The ugly sweaters need to desperately go but I have the feeling she will hold onto them like P2 with his gray shirts. Avalon gives me MK vibes and I kind of think she might only go as far as MK did, bowing out around top 10 somewhere.

Ditto my comment above about Dalton for you as well, if you're interested in more from him, I can gladly PM you some direct links. :)

• Love 1

As for "overweight" females, it both amuses and frightens me that Carrie Underwood was considered chubby when she auditioned.

Seriously?

I think that's really being overstated. Although to be fair I'd say she was considered a bit more average than the glamour-puss version of her we got a few years later.  Carrie 1.0 was honestly still a thin-ish pretty girl, but likely carried 15 more pounds on compared to where she wound up a few years later (so the difference between "normal person skinny" and "celebrity or model super skinny").  

Wait. Judge for yourself.

IvHzflF.jpg

Edited by Kromm

I too liked Ricky calling out Gianna and Brenda for acting like Brenda was running that rehearsal.  

Ryan has gotten so paternal with the kids-- so many terms of endearment from him!  It's good to see him like that.   Shades of Cat Deeley.  

Lindita's only "before" pic I can find does not look like she weighed over 250 lbs. to me.